Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy HHR: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bertvbertv Member Posts: 6
    I am having the same issue. I am in Canada and have received zero satisfaction from GM on this. I have involved the dealer, GM District Service Manager and GM Corporate (800 line) and received the same response. I too am not willing to spend $800 CDN to resolve GM's design issue. Yesterday I went on-line and initiated my claim with CAMVAP (Canadian Arbitration Process). If GM isn't going to step up to the plate to resolve this, at a minimum I am going to ensure it causes them significant aggravation. I have bought 8 new GM vehicles in the past 20 years and am totally disgusted by the pathetic response to this issue.
  • firewatcherfirewatcher Member Posts: 2
    My dealer (Herb Connolly Chevrolet in Framingham, MA) has been very supportive on this. They were going to repaint at their expense, but GM finally stepped up to the plate on that. I am also having the mud flaps put on. I can't really afford running boards although that would correct the problem. BTW - I had some damage done to mt right front door. :sick: Dropped it off on May 1. They were going to replace the door shell so it would look right. Guess what! GM isn't making all that many repair panels. While mine sits in the shop all pulled apart I have no ride! GM gave a release date of May 19th for the door. Insane! Poor design and poor planning. I think GM was hoping the HHR would bail them out. Hmmm....maybe there is a big discount on running boards in my future ;)
  • philbbgphilbbg Member Posts: 2
    Fellas, I am a GM Technician. I specialize in electrical, trim & a/c.I do not build the vehicle. I only turn the wrench to repair them. These radios are programmable. The problem you are having is a software issue, not a hardware issue. Service Managers & Advisors do not repair your vehicles. Techs are at the mercy of GM engineers. I have not found any wiring issues w/ these HHR's. The software update addressing the "pop" noise at startup has fixed several radio concerns of these vehicles. I cannot pretend to "know" why some are not repaired. I am not a radio "builder". I can repair obvious wiring & electrical concerns, but do not delve into the software portion of GM audio systems; (except reprogramming). "We" are in the dark as much as you. The HHR is an over-priced piece of crap as far as we are concerned; but folks buy them anyway, and GM keeps building them. The HHR is built on the Cobalt platform; but we are not seeing the same probs w/ the Cobalt. Buy a Cobalt and have more fun. You people need to know that techs are not actually GM employees, but employees of the dealership. We are not to blame. We are trying to find solutions to your vehicles' problems. We do not get compensated for ten hours of diagnostic time if we do not find anything "actually" wrong. The techs are trying to repair these problems. Perhaps we are all too drunk or stoned to "figure" it out; perhaps we just dont care. I do!!!! I can fix the problem when a problem exists; but I cannot work miracles. I leave that to Christ or GM Engineers.
  • tessa1tessa1 Member Posts: 1
    Try checking to see how close your cell phone is to the radio. I usually have to pitch mine into the back seat to get it to quit interfering with the radio reception, whether the radio is on or off. :(
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Our 2002 Jetta has the same noise problem as the HHR when rear windows are open. It's called a flow induced vibration that occurs when air passes the edge of the window. At certain speeds, the air flow passing the window opening vibrates at a frequency that resonates with the air inside the passenger compartment. In fact, the VW engineers have included a fence device in the Jetta sunroof to interfere with the flow when the sunroof is open. If you could add a fence-like device to the forward edge of the side windows it would lessen and perhaps eliminate the problem.
  • wiltywilty Member Posts: 2
    I too had the paint damage and was told that placing Running Boards on the vehicle would solve the problem. I contacted GM and was told that they agree it was a design flaw and GM would pay to paint the vehicle but I had to pay for the Running Boards. I asked the person at GM for my Complaint Number and went to the Chevrolet Dealer and told them that I was going to get Window Markers and place "Don't buy one of these - See me and I'll tell you why" on each of the HHR's windows. My HHR is now scheduled for Paint and Running Boards at no expense to me. Be persistant with this problem.............
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    We got our 2LT last November....absolutely flawless so far..27 mpg ave. Traction control great in the snow, remote start good in cold, XM ...addicting, great on favorite curvey roads, >120 mph, paid several thousand less than the 2001 RAV4 - loud-noisey-gas guzzler that we bought new in 2001....by the time it had 6,000 miles on it it had been back to the shop about 6-7 times....by the time the waranty was up the list was as long as your arm. At about 5,000 miles ...every piece of metal remotely associated with all the brakes was replaced....waranty work bills would have been >$6,000. At about 35,000 miles the dealership had the engine open and someone working inside the engine everyday for 2 - 3 weeks???? I put about 2,000 miles on the loaner car. You want to see some horror stories...go to the new RAV4 V6 forums..... Again...my 2LT has been flawless so far. In 95 I bought my 16 year old son a Sunfire GT....he still drives it...only been in the shop once for a switch that was recalled. In 2000 I bought my 16 YO daughter a Cavelier Z24...it's never been in the shop for anything. You want to a horror story..go back a few issues & look at Car & Driver's long term review of that $50K Toyota or Lexus...
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    philbbg,

Do you know what company makes the HHR radio? You can see its label on the side of the unit plus the place of manufacturing.

jt
  • philbbgphilbbg Member Posts: 2
    JT, I do not know if your reply is condescending, but my answer is, yes, I know the manufacturer of these audio systems. However, my point reflects the plight of technicians attempting to resolve the audio system concerns. We are at the mercy of GM engineers. The problem lies in software design; not hardware. GM has updated the audio software to address the popping, crackling noise; and the update has "fixed" several concerns I have dealt with. I am diagnosing an HHR presently which the update did not "fix". I believe the vehicle should be bought back and crushed. :) GM engineers do NOT work closely with Technicians. We are on our own. I understand these systems well, but I do not write software programs. The vehicles get more intelligent and we are left in the dark, like the owner. Again, technicians are not employed by the manufacturer, but by the dealership where they work.
    Not 100% sure, but it is probably Delphi
  • vinney1vinney1 Member Posts: 7
    Hello: You mention that you are an A/C technician and I would like your opinion. My HHR has the 2.4 engine auto. and the A/C makes a loud whine noise that I have never heard on any car I've owned. There are more people complaining about this in other forums. I've taken it in 3 times and they evacuated the system and recharged but made no difference. Another dealer said it's the compressor that is loud but G.M. will not pay to replace it because it is working. You are right this car is a piece of junk. :lemon: I've had the instrument cluster replaced, the right C.V. drive shaft, A/C whining noise and the steering column is now rattling over certain bumps. Any input will be greatly appeciated. I have 4500 miles on odometer. Thanks
    bertv,

GM now has many head unit suppliers for their corporate Black Tie radio. Your guess probably is correct about 5 years ago. But now since GM likes Chinese/Korean cheap parts so much, you will find their products in GM vehicles more frequent now, especially radios.

jt
    phibbg,

I was just curious only since GM now has many suppliers on any given part (cheapest one always wins in their case). I understand the relationship between dealership employees and GM, so I do feel your pain. May be they'll find the "fixes" next model year. If it were for Hyundai, they'll do it in 3 weeks.

jt
  • lorie1lorie1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Has anyone had their "Check Chg Sys" light come on? I've had it in the shop two times, and now she is back at the shop again.

They first said their was a loose wire, I picked it up and got about 15 miles from the dealership when babading! The Check Chg Sys came on again. Hmm, I drove back to the dealership, and of course, it no longer says to "Check Chg Sys". They changed the alternator and called to have me pick it up.

I got about .25 miles from the dealer when on comes the light, at least it stayed on for them to verify that it wasn't charging, intermittently.

I just drove it back to the shop this morning, on the way to the shop the Check Chg Sys was lit, then the Battery Saver On light came on and my anti-lock brakes and steering were going off and on. Wahh!
    About a week after my Arbitration submission was in the system, I received a call from GM telling me they were willing to install running boards free of charge and asked me what dealership I would like to install them. :) It is pretty pathetic that you have to make that much noise to resolve what is clearly their issue. I think they still struggle with the difference between problem resolution and customer satisfaction :confuse:
  • golferswifegolferswife Member Posts: 7
    Got the "squeaky steering wheel" problem? Anyone else with this issue??? :cry:
    To whom did you raise grief with. I too would like running boards. They painted and we paid for flaps, but this won't help come winter again.
    I took two paths. The General Manager at the dealership went to bat on the issue (push hard to ensure the dealer is interested in being part of the solution). I also called the customer service number - it is in the back of your owners manual. I went through 2 levels there and got no satisfaction. This avenue being exhausted, I went to the arbitration process identified in owners manual. The US and Canadian systems may be slightly different.....I applied to kick off the arbitration process. With this much attention, they may decide it is easier (and cheaper) to settle - I think the arbitration process would be pretty expensive for GM. In all my dealings, I just ensured I was professional, but yet very aggressive. Hope this helps.
  • biscotttibiscottti Member Posts: 3
    red-I had the exact same problem 3 times before the TC light would go on for the dealership. They thought two wires were rubbing together. They kept it for 3 days trying to track down the problem. I am trying to find the paperwork saying just what the mechs did- I will get back to you. Don't give up. It is not a lemon. It is a good car.(why do I feel like Frau Blucher in Young Frankenstein?)
  • wiltywilty Member Posts: 2
    I started my grief with GM Customer Service and ended it with my local Dealer. The owner of the dealership was the solution to my problem. He agreed that it was a design problem and that since GM would not do what was required, he would.The dealership absorbed all of the costs
  • luminalady97luminalady97 Member Posts: 15
    Hi Golferswife:
    Its the Luminalady and yes, I still have the squeeky steering wheel problem. It would happen off and on, but not enough that I could guarantee it would do this if I took it to the dealer. On the other hand, it was squeeking consistantly this afternoon, so I will try to get it to the dealer tomorrow. Its the only problem I have had with my HHR. My car has 3500 miles on it, and I have owned it for 5 months. I STILL LOVE THIS CAR :blush:

Have you taken your HHR in to check this problem? If so,I'd love to hear what you have been told...... :shades: Thanks!
    Just started a couple of days age and is not continous. I am going to dealer monday for another concern and will have it addressed then. Will post the outcome. We love our too!! :blush:
  • luminalady97luminalady97 Member Posts: 15
    Hi Golfer's wife!
    I was wondering if you learned anything more about the squeeky wheel? I was going to the dealer, and of course it stopped squeeking. I just returned, and it started squeeking again.... :confuse: I am looking forward to hearing what your dealer said. I am hoping your info will be helpful in case I have to bring my HHR to the dealer. That way they will know it is not unique to just my car. That is the only glitch I've had with my HHR. I hope this is a minor problem. Thanks!
  • mlwlkmlwlk Member Posts: 10
    I have had my HHR's radio re programmed (service visit #1),
    the radio replaced (service visit #2),
    the amplifier replaced (service visit #3),
    and the amplifier re-grounded (service visit #4).

The radio still pops and cracks loudly.

I am taking the HHR back in today (service visit #5).

Any advice out there?????????????
  • vamonticellovamonticello Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had a problem with the sound of a loud rattle when starting their HHR?....My HHR has 3000 miles on it, 3 times in the last 4 days, when 1st starting it in the morning, a loud rattle could be heard coming from the engine department.....

I took it to the dealer and they couldnt find anything wrong.
    I've had no problems with my radio....Do you have XM?
  • essnessessness Member Posts: 1
    Anyone getting water on the drivers floor after rain?
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Go to the "2006 Chevy HHR" forum and search for the word "water". There are a couple dozen postings about this issue.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Water intrusion can be pretty miserable to find source as water tracks sometimes (meaning leak can be quite far from where it ends up). Rubber grommet(boot) in firewall not being correct seems to be most common problem. I have also seen instances about windshield not properly sealed and also roof rails not sealed correctly (in that case, seatbelt was wet along with floor)
  • vickp786vickp786 Member Posts: 1
    we are currently having problems with the check enigne warning light also. they put in a new harness and fuse block but it is still coming on. also the t/c tracytion light has been coming on and off
    Did you check your gas cap?.........I had problems with the check engine warning light on my oldsmobile (it was a loose gas cap).....
  • carguy99carguy99 Member Posts: 1
    My '06 HHR LT1 is 6 months old, & I have an annoying amount of wind / road noise coming from the passenger side at all speeds over 30mph. The faster I go, the worse it is, especially when I pass another vehicle.
    After 3 trips to the dealer & being told no one can hear anything unusual... the General Manager acknowledged that he could hear "my noise". I'm told nothing can be done to stop it. Apparently there is a design flaw, which prohibits the installation of an outer rubber seal around the front doors. (There is an inner seal). The noise appears to be coming from the space between the front & rear doors. I drove another HHR off their front line & discovered it wasn't as noisey as mine...
    Anyone else have a similar problem????
    no......no problem with wind noise
  • mrfcmrfc Member Posts: 7
    from what i have read the oil filter on a 2006 chevy hhr is located on the top of the engine to the right of center as you are looking down on the engine. supposedly it is under a black cap with a large hex nut.
    my queston is i have also read that you do not have to crawl underneath the car to change the oil but if that is the case where do you drain the oil from? i would suspect you still have to get underneath the car to drain the oil from the oil pan.
  • cpt63cpt63 Member Posts: 1
    I have to ask.........did you get your problem resolved...................we have the exact same problem but we have not sent the car in yet due to time constraints......would very much appreciate the head up.....Christian
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A new discussion on HHR Starting/Stalling Problems has been created and some recent postings have been moved there. Please follow that link to continue there.
  • 33wd3333wd33 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Today I got the "Check Chg Sys" light, but this was after a horribly loud bang noise, some hissing, grey smoke, and a burning smell coming from under the hood as I pulled to a stop. Had my 3 month old HHR towed to Chevy and learned that the AC compressor had locked up and snapped the drive-train belt which ripped up a hose as it snapped. Mine is in the shop and will likely be there for "at least a week" while they try to locate a compressor.

I was told the "Check Chg Sys" light came on because the belt that snapped also controls the alternator and it was not working as a result.

Needless to say, I'm picking up a complimentary loaner car in the morning.

Honestly, I love this car so much that I don't really care that it's had this problem. I am confident that once I get it repaired it will work fine after that. Hopefully, the new compressor will solve the loud compressor whine that it had from day one (and that so many other HHRs seem to have).

Good luck with your HHR! These are great little cars! :blush:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check the discussion list for new topics here in the HHR group. I've moved the recent posts on radio problems to the HHR Audio & Entertainment System Questions discussion, so you may continue there.
  • sinof7476sinof7476 Member Posts: 2
    My husband installed and Airaid Intake into our HHR. When he went to turn it on with the remote and then turned it on manually it shut off and made a piercing sound. He tried to put the stock one back and the car still would not start. Is there sort of a reset button that will make the car start again? Please Help . Thank you. :confuse:
    That doesn't sound good. I haven't heard of anyone else having this happen, but just a thought, try disconnecting negative battery cable then unplug and plug back in MAF connection and ensure its tight then re-connect battery.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    agree..disconnect the battery..let is sit for 20 minutes of so....unplug the MAF sensor..and replug the sensor and the reconnect the battery......did he disconnect the battery before he installed the CAI?
  • 52chevy52chevy Member Posts: 1
    I JUST PURCHASED A HHR FOR MY WIFE. SHE LOVES THE VECHICLE BUT MISSES THE INSIDE MIRROR WITH THE COMPASS FEATURE. MY LOCAL CHEVY PARTS DEPT. HAS THE MIRROR. BUT THE CONNECTOR ON THE MIRROR IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN THE ONE I HAVE. DO YOU THINK THE WIRE HARNESS IS ALREADY IN THE HEADLINER??? :confuse: :confuse:
  • sinof7476sinof7476 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you.. We discovered after pondering and worrying all night and reading the manual.. that it was because the key was left in the ignition... it discrambled his key. We tried my key and everything is A okay. I drove my baby to L.A. this morning and she sounded and rode beautifully.
  • aprilwaprilw Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    Bought a 2006 HHR on July 5, 06, with the Spring Edition Pkg. Victory Red Ext. ($1500 option)with running boards, and just noticed that the paint across the top of the doors and top, and back, etc., almost all over, feels very rough. I didn't notice this until after getting the car washed for the first time. Now paint looks dull and feels rougher in these areas. Has anyone else had this problem? I've just contacted the dealer and am hoping for a quick resolution. Just wanted to check to see if anyone's heard of this problem. Thanks
    Just a guess, but perhaps its rail dust from transport. I think clay bar is supposed to help with that (just from what I've heard)
    agree,....use a clay bar on it...will take care of the problem...probably rail dust or other contaminants during shipping..normal dealer prep will not take it off....professional detailer.....can handle...or a few hours work by you will take care of the problem
  • jwest208jwest208 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my HHR LS since the end of January and I did notice some noise from the passenger side. My dealership also told me that this was "normal" and that nothing could be done. However, after having my A/C system "updated" as per a GM service bulletin, the interior is much quieter. The A/C bulletin specifically addressed the "growling" from the A/C system, but it seems to have had some effect on the amount of noise coming through the firewall. Hope this helps.
  • disappointed9disappointed9 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a HHR LT-2 about 3 months ago it had a vibration in it when i test drove it. i requested to the dealership dealership to balance tires before i picked it up. Still has a vibration in it. I have been told the firestone tires are bad. Its been back in the shop 5 times for bad tires, it also had bad front rotors - they have been turned down 2 times now - so far that is fixed. It also developed a hard starting problem, found it had a bad fuel pump on it. 3 days in the shop to get a fuel pump - now ok so far. Now ive noticed when air is on & taking off from a stop - it makes a growling/groaning noise - sounds like a weed eater or sewing machine or something like it. Has anyone else had these problems & at what point should i demand different brand of tires be put on my car. Ive been told there is a service bulletine out on the tires. Ive already requested a different brand of tire - it has been rejected. I will be going back to HONDA after this experience - even though the dealership has been pretty good to deal with
    I would ask them to replace the tires.....and the rotor pulsing could be them over tightening or not properly apply the appropriate torque to the lug nuts....thus causing some warpage on the rotors..this was the case with the 04 Malibu Maxx.....simply installing with an impact wrench and not finishing with a torque wrench was causing our problems....

as for HONDA...well go over to the honda forum now and look at the complaints.......I for one wouldnt touch them right now..over priced in my opinion.....and Toyota....trans problems with the new RAV4..and a half million recall on their hybrids for drive shafts......well all cars have problems regardless of make model or cost......good luck with your HHR
  • jwest208jwest208 Member Posts: 2
    There is a service bulletin out to fix the "growling" A/C problem. They will replace part of the plumbing for the A/C system. Mine just had this done and is much quieter (but the noise you describe seems much more noticeable than what I had heard).

As for the tires, I've had no major problems with the Firestones on the HHR, but my Venture had Firestones that had problems from day one. This is not just a Firestone issue, though. I previously owned 2 Grand Am GTs and the Goodyears on those cars had problems. I've had problems with most OE tires. The only two tire manufacturers I've been satisfied with were Michelin (pricey) and Cooper. I had so many problems with the Goodyears on my 2000 Dodge Neon that the dealership fought with Goodyear and Chrysler and finally ate the cost to have new Cooper tires put on my car. Hang in there.
This discussion has been closed.