Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

HHR Real World MPG Numbers

13»

Comments

• ali1969ali1969 Member Posts: 1
    PLEASE explain to me how to reset my DIC?

I had oil changed and it was not reset, and I am interested in the MPG - how to know what I am getting city vs hwy.

I have @ 19,000 on a 2008 HHR SS (love it! - well, minus the no console).

Thank you very much.

Ali :shades:
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    How to Reset the Engine Oil LifeSystem.

The Engine Oil Life System calculates when to changeyour engine oil and filter based on vehicle use.
    Whenever the oil is changed, reset the system so itcan calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where the oil is changed prior to a CHANGE OIL SOON message being turned on, reset the system.
    After changing the engine oil, the system must be reset:
    1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN, with the engine off.
    2. Press the information and reset buttons on theDriver Information Center (DIC) at the same time to enter the personalization menu. See DIC Vehicle
    3. Press the information button to scroll through theavailable personalization menu modes until the DIC display shows OIL‐LIFE RESET.
    4. Press and hold the reset button until the DICdisplay shows ACKNOWLEDGED. This will tell
    you the system has been reset.
    5. Turn the key to LOCK/OFF

For vehicles with the 2.2L (VIN Code V) or 2.4L(VIN Code B) engines, you can also reset the system as follows:
    1. Turn the ignition key to ON/RUN with theengine off.
    2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedalslowly three times within five seconds.
    3. Turn the key to LOCK/OFF, then start the engine.
    If the CHANGE OIL SOON message comes back onwhen the vehicle is started, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the reset procedure.

MPG (L/100 KM) AVG (Average)

Press the information button until MPG (L/100 KM)AVG displays. This mode shows how many miles per gallon (mpg) or liters per 100 kilometers (L/100 km) yourvehicle is getting based on current and past drivingconditions.
    To reset the average fuel economy, press and hold thereset button while MPG (L/100 KM) AVG is displayed.
    Average fuel economy is then calculated starting fromthat point. If the average fuel economy is not reset, it iscontinually updated each time you drive.

MPG (L/100 KM) INST (Instantaneous)

Press the information button until MPG (L/100 KM) INSTdisplays.
    This mode shows the current fuel economy ata particular moment and changes frequently as driving conditions change. This mode shows the instantaneousfuel economy in miles per gallon (mpg) or liters per
    100 kilometers (L/100 km). Unlike average fueleconomy, this screen cannot be reset.
    How many m/p/g did you get with the 2.4 L engine in City and Highway driving?
    Please, not the DIC average but the "real" calculations.
    Ex: miles between fill-ups (from full to almost empty tank) or from where to where? (this city to that city).
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    anyone try E85 in their HHR?
    It's the only E85-capable vehicle in USA availabe with stickshift! hooray!
  • sbeckssbecks Member Posts: 5
    I am heavy on the throttle, and run 95% or more hiway driving. Last tank, the fuel lite came on at 366 miles. That leaves 2 gallons in tank. So with a heavy foot I do pretty much right at 400 miles per tank. I alternate between premium and medium grade fuel. Really cannot see any significant difference. I think I will try running just mid grade fuel for a few tanks in a row and see what happens.
  • sbeckssbecks Member Posts: 5
    I have intermittent lack of response from my remote to lock or unlock the doors.
    Sometimes takes several pushes. And different aims. Feel like a retard walking alongside my ride pointing remote at it and pushing button. Any ideas?
    Manual says DIC will inform when remote battery is low.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I would replace the battery first, and if that doesn’t work take it to the dealership to have it looked at. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    We're going on a road trip for 1 week to see our daughter (2 adults with normal cargo)... luggage, gifts, 1 cooler.
    Planning to do only highway driving from point A to point B and leaving very early in the morning.
    It's our first highway trip with our new 2010 HHR 2LT (2.4 L engine). We will be cruising between 65 mph to 70 mph and don't have a slightest idea what could be my fuel driving range on the highway.
    Could you give me your experience with your fuel tank range on the highway?
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,937
    It should be ample, 350-400 mi. We just returned from a 225 mi trip (each way). Varying speeds up to 75 mph most 60-70, A/C on all the time, loaded with 3 passengers and cargo. 2.4/auto. 28 mpg. You will probably stop, and fill up before you have to. Enjoy.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited June 2010
    Recently I have noticed a significant decrease in performance and gas mileage. Granted it is a hot 90 degrees and A/C is on most of the time. Gas mileage in my normal driving has decreased from 27mpg to 23-25 mpg. Acceleration is sluggish, though the engine runs smoothly and is running in normal temp range of 190-202 degrees. I guess it is the temperature, or gas formulation. 2.4/auto. Had been using regular but stepped up to premium with little difference in either. Any ideas?

I just calculated my first m.p.g. on a full tank of gas "filled to the rim" on the starting point and on fill up (not the DIC figures but the real thing).
    My HHR is a 2010 2LT so the 2.4 L engine, it has 683.5 milles on it, still on "break-in" period.
    Drove 439.7 miles with 15.29 Gal. of regular gas and my "Low Gas" signal wasn't on yet, still had 52.8 on "Fuel Range". This tank was 34% city / 66% highway, never went over 62 mph and religiously driving in the city avoiding red light and accelerating slowly and gradually.
    My result is 28.76 m/p/g

Is this good for the HHR? It's almost impossible!
    And people are telling me that after the break-in period it will be even better on gas than this. Wow!
    I can't imagine how far a person can go on 100% highway driving @ 65 mph using the cruise control.
    Anybody else has good or better mileage than this?
    It's almost unbelievable.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I have gotten 36.5 at 60mph on the highway on cruise.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Having surpassed the 100k mile mark recently mine should be broken in by now ;)

I haven't done any manual calculations lately but D.I.C. is running over 31 MPG in the warmer weather. I have been using A/C quite a bit or else it it could very well be a tad over 32 during the warm weather.
    My HHR is a 2010 2 LT with the 2.4L automatic

Are these figures o.k. to you.

1rst tank I got 23.63 m/p/g driving 80% city and 20% highway.
    2nd tank gave me 28.75 m/p/g driving 60% city and 40% highway.

We're preparing for our summer vacation with mostly highway driving, I should get something pretty good by these numbers.
    My HHR is a 2010 2 LT with the 2.4L automatic

Does this look o.k. to you.

1rst tank I got 23.63 m/p/g driving 80% city and 20% highway.
    2nd tank gave me 28.75 m/p/g driving 60% city and 40% highway.

We're preparing for our summer vacation with mostly highway driving, I should get something pretty good by these numbers.
    Looks reasonable to me, can vary quite a bit. I think you will see some improvement as you get more miles on it (of course only to a certain point);
  • brodyhntrbrodyhntr Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 HHR LS averages 28 combined and on highways 36 plus even when its topped out she still get 20 so forget prius or any other hybrid HHR is the way to go
  • mike507mike507 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 HHR and the power windows would not work. The dealer said a fuse failed because the windows were dry, and the I need to lubricate the window tracks with a silicon lubricant periodically so I don't burn out the window motor. I never had to lubricate power windows in any other vehicle.

Has anyone had this problem, and where do you lubricate so the windows don't have silicon all over them.

Thank you.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I too of the many, many vehicles I have had through out the years I have NEVER had to use anything on them. Tell him to fix them right or give you a guarantee for as long as you own the HHR he will fix at his cost any power window problems.
  • moonlight293moonlight293 Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2010
    Is this a kid who is just winging it or a seasoned pro? If it's the first, clearly they don't know what they're talking about. If it's the latter, better go elsewhere. Better yet, Go Elsewhere regardless.
    Go see that "Bozo" who told you to lubricate the window tracks and ask him to find it in your HHR owners manual.
    For years I had power windows on all my cars and trucks and never had or did lubricate them.
    This guy must have put something weiiiird in his pipe. WOW!
    This is the dumbest thing I've heard regarding power windows.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited August 2010
    the window must have become misaligned from the tracks inside the door.
    it happens. but usually to old volkswagen jettas, from what i've heard.

as for the kid-mechanic with the messy lubricate-window idea, i appreciate his brute-force wd-40 approach but i'll say what we are all thinking: 'fry cook'.
    Just completed our third trip this summer. Have driven 10000 miles since Feb 2010. This summer has been hot in the southeast, so I have used the air non-stop. And its a good one. Getting between 23-25 mpg in my day to day driving. This is down 2mpg when use the a/c sparingly. Drove to the beach and back and got 29.5, to Pittsburgh and back 29, and most recently a 250 round trip and got 30.5. In all cases my wife and 9 yr old and baggage. Freeway travel 70-75 mph. And hills to maintain speed which on occassion caused a downshift and maintain rpm at 3500+ rpm. So I haven't really been easy on it, but I haven't flogged it either. Would lilke to get better mpg, but still satisfied. And runs like a champ.

Got my 2010 HHR 2LT (new) in May and in June I took it on it's first highway trip.
    Made 375 miles but still taking it easy on it 55 - 60 mph with a/c on, I got 32.2 m/p/g (not the DIC) the real calculation.
    No matter what people say, I still believe in that "break-in" period.
    Next month we're doing a cross country trip, approx 6,000 miles (two way). I presently have 1,240 miles did my first oil change, probably to soon but the other one will be done on the west coast before coming back. During my trip, I don't plan to go over 68 m.p.h.

By the way...thanks sda for your reply on my question about tire p.s.i. on the other post.
    With today's gas prices, at what highway speed is your HHR more fuel perfoment?
    Mine is a 2010 2LT with the 2.4 L engine.
    City to but it's more difficult with the repeated "stop and go".
    My 06' does well at 55MPH. My usual drives include a fair amount of 40-45 MPH roads also without a lot of stop signs or lights. Pretty easy to obtain 32 + MPG D.I.C. indicated average with reasonably warm temps (drops a tad with AC on of course).
  • lulu76lulu76 Member Posts: 12
    I am a little obsessive about fuel economy so I mentally check every time I fill up. Most days I do "in-town driving," stop-and-start traffic on the Interstate (rarely getting to 55/mph) and on surface streets going 30-35. On tanks that is all in-town driving, I usually get anywhere from 22.5 mpg to 26 mpg. I generally average 25-26 mpg in town.

For highway driving, where I try to set the cruise on 68-73, depending on the speed limit, I can get 28-31 mpg. On a recent trip back to Ohio, it was closer to 32, which was the best that I have gotten.

Just make sure to keep your oil changed (I range around 3,000 to 4,500 miles max), and your air and fuel filters clean and good tire pressure, and you will get good gas mileage. I have a 2008 2LT with the 2.4L engine. I only use 87 octane gas because my best friend used to be an engineer at ExxonMobil and he told me to stick with 87, so I do.

Before my HHR, I always drove Cavaliers but also always had the 2.2L engine. (May have even had a 2.0L on one version.) My HHR doesn't do as well, but I always chalked it up to higher curb weight and bigger engine, and it's not enough of a difference to be displeased with the car. As my old roommate said when I let her drive it once "It's like you're floating down the road on a quiet little cloud."
    Mine is a 2010 2LT with the 2.4 L engine.
    Went on a cross country trip, a total of 6,214 miles = 14 fill ups but always before having the "low fuel" warning.
    My best mpg = 32.47 mpg driving through the plains and my worst = 25.62 mpg crossing the Rockies.
    My average mpg for the entire trip was 29.07 mpg... 95% hwy driving cruising 70% @ 65-70 mph and 30% @ 70-75 mph
    Pretty satisfied.
    I get an average of 26.13 mpg in city driving depending on traffic jams.
  • jpat2jpat2 Member Posts: 1
    I found I can get 35 mph by putting two blends of gas in. I put 1/2 a tank of Chevron and 1/2 a tank of Valero. I found this by mistake...but it a blessed found. 35 mpg is good these days.