Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Lincoln Navigators

Comments

• navi08navi08 Member Posts: 5
    the sales on the 2007 lincoln navigator are up 44% and the 06 models are up 21% due to the fact they are giving huge rebates on th 2006. the lincoln dealership sold 7 '06 navigator in one day. they had 3 2007 and they were sold before they were loaded off the truck and put on the lot. the dealership here can not keep these suv on the lot. there are no more here on the lot. talked to the dealership and they said they will have three trucks of 2007 mark lt and navigator. They have 2007 mark lt with monotone trim they are so beautiful, will get my daughter one for graduation. as i posted above about the slade and navigator competition, another navi advantage is that the dvd entertainment is not located in the dash like the slade to me that was annoying. on the slade you could not watch and listem to a cd unlike the navi you can due to the fact they are located on diffrent units. as for ride quality the navi is superior.
  • sj1400sj1400 Member Posts: 4
    As a previous 00/03 Nav owner I was extremely let down on the styling of the 07 Navigator. I test drove the new Expedition and Navigator. In my opinion I do not feel the 07 offers any benfits over my 03. The $50 chrome nose option ruins the look of the truck. The rear tail lights don't look right - there too big and look added on. Nothing to criticize on the new Expedition. For my needs the 07 ESV was the better vehicle. After 1 month of ownership this truck is awesome. I do believe the interior in my 03 Gator was better since the gear shifter was in the center console. Where's the bluetooth and 1 touch UP power windows. No power tilt/telescope steering wheel. Inexcusable in a 70k truck. As we all know the 3rd row seat does not fold flat BUT this isn't a issue for me since the ESV has room for rear storage. THere's a noticeable performance gap btw the two-advantage GM. The 31 gallon tank allowed 590 miles of cruising at 70mph. I'm sure the 6 speed autos in both trucks will help highway mileage. Test drive both and go with the one that suits your needs best.
  • rodinomarodinoma Member Posts: 1
    I agree that the Lincoln Navigator in its present rendition is abominable. Lets start with the exterior: That grille is truly ugly and has a comic quality that stops me from taking the rest of the vehicle seriously. It is no wonder that Ford has gone off the rails when they design a SUV so unhinged from any aesthetic sensibility. The rear looks unfinished and sits on tires too skinny for the proportions of the SUV. There is furthermore way too much chrome brutally applied. The interior is, sorry to say, even worse. The so-called chrome satin finish looks cheap and the square dials look very dated and hard to read. But then again I've never been a fan of FoMoCo North American interiors. European interiors are slightly better but not much. The engine is also clearly underpowered especially in comparison with the 'Slade. I suspect that there will be a mid cycle upgrade to the exterior and interior when they realise that their traditional customer base is shunning it. As for gas mileage being better than the Escalade who cares. If customers decide to buy these big barges and pay $50-65k I don't really think gas mileage should matter much. If gas mileage is an issue then there is always the upcoming Smart ForTwo.
  • Actually, the Gator exterior succeeds by being polarizing. You hate it/despise it. Others love the troweled on chrome. I doubt there will be any "mid-cycle" change to this rendition, since the body panels are carryover from the 98 design (and 03 design) with new front clip, updated interior, and rear hatch. They cannot keep spending money on further "mid-cycle" changes to a body design so long in the tooth. Next time, start fresh like they did with the Slade, and go them one better
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    There were 2 '07 Navigators parked side by side in the parking lot of the grocery store the other day-- a big one in Black and a regular one in White Pearl.
    I thought they looked pretty good.--for a 10 year old body that was born as a 1997 Expedition.
  • I agree. They certainly could have done worse (though there are those who will disagree!). It is polarizing. And that is a good thing. Expecially considering it was an update like the 2006 Explorer (use the same body, do significant improvements underneath, new front clip, different interior). The Explorer update went over more like a lead balloon.

I think Ford may be done now with their half-baked "redesigns." Tarting up the old Focus into the 2008 actually ended up costing them more than it would have to simply base it on the newer European platform. Plus, after spending their update money, they ended up with a real yawner. Like the 2006 Explorer turned out to be. Thank God for the controversial Gator grill, or almost no one would be looking at it.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I think the new grille will look much nicer once they offer the monochrome package. I think the bottom portion of the grille will be the same color as the car -- ditto with the chrome door panels.

Does anyone have pics of this newer, toned downed look? I heard it was supposed to be offered as an option this February.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    What? The "Remington" look is gone???
  • No, not gone, just optional. Some of us think the Remington look is just what this old pig needs to still get some attention from some buyers.
    It's so strange. In 1998, the Navigator made its debut - to the hysterical laughing over at GM at this ridiculous "Town Truck" that Ford was putting out....oops, the damn thing is selling like Mustangs!!! Better get something out like it! So they tarted up a Tahoe (a little alliteration there for ya) and put it out as a 2000 Escalade. Surprise. The Cadillac truck sold too. No 2001 Escalade, but the 2002 which was all new outside, all old inside was an instant hit, and immediately took the attention away from Lincoln. No problem, Lincoln already had their 03 refresh in the can and brought out a revision with a FABULOUS and UNIQUE to that truck interior, and a little exterior change, with Independent Rear Suspension, powerfold third seat that were adult worthy, a flat rear deck, retracting running boards, air conditioned seats, and a 32 valve DOHC engine. Should have been a hit and taken the market back - it was a superior truck by virtue of design and features, though Cadillac threw in a larger engine, but it didn't, the exterior wasn't radical enough. Guys like me who liked the Lincoln DNA loved it, and bought it again. Mel Gibson bought it. Baseball players bought it. Rockstars and Rappers bought Escalades, and they got the media.

So, now Lincoln has made a lame attempt to be as radical as the Cadillac, just when the Cadillac made an attempt to "square up" and look more like the Lincoln/Expedition. ON features, I'd still buy the Lincoln, but based on appearance and the ridiculous dashboard, I'd have to buy a Lexus LX470. I won't buy the Cadillac until they understand how to make the rear seat fold flat into the floor, which shouldn't be such a problem since Ford showed the industry how to do it in 02, but GM is a slow learner.

It just amazes me how the vehicle that started the segment, once again, has been neglected into ignominity. Like the Taurus.
    ... I like that... good chuckle this morning banker, thanks!

Now that I see more of these trucks on the road I still find myself trying to convince myself I like the new design. That's not a good thing for me.

I've sold myself on the new interior -- I actually like it -- but only the light beige with the light wood trim.

I'm in the market for a new vehicle in December of this year and with two little ones growing up fast and with trips to Disney World, etc. looming ever more often I'm leaning towards a big suv once again.

Navi -- all the features I want (except rearview camera -- coming in 2008 model???) but so-so on the looks.

Caddy -- Nice looks inside and out but old school third row and from I'm reading, perhaps a louder ride (I like it quiet).

LX 470 -- Solid truck all around -- BUT HORRENDOUS third row design and a little smallish for a "BIG" truck. A redesign is scheduled for later this year or early next. Still, I can imagine prices on those trucks will be sky high for at least a year.

My dark horse in all this is the Lexus LS460 (car) -- what a sweet ride!!! Perhaps I'll ditch my SUV itch and go for a car again. My current LS430 has been THE most pleasing, most solid car I've ever driven.

I really might jump for a monochrome package Navi though... I'm sure the prices are VERY competitive for these trucks.

I haven't seen a pic yet on the net of the monochrome package.... can anybody hook me up with a link?
    That may be the way to go, gteach - your logic makes sense. Hands down, the Navigator (and Ford generally) has the design down the best. Have you considered (shudder here) the Infinity QX-56? Has similar 3rd row seating copied from Ford, tarted up Armada interior, shamelessly decorated with plood, but still, it's nice. They haven't had the best reliability rating in the past, but that may have changed, I don't know, the French own Nissan now. It is just a thought - probably you won't like the looks any better. I don't. Why did I even bring that up???
  • Plood. I like that. Says what you meant in elegant shorthand.

The Infiniti is to Armada as Nav is to Expedition. Tarted up, not really redesigned, like the Pilot say, and its Acura cousin.

But at least the Infiniti has a more competitive engine. Of course, the 300 hp of the Nav ought to be enough, but with small sedans offering that now, maybe all the big pigs should offer more.
    au contrare, my young friend - the Navigator has a unique dash, and most of the interior to the Expedition - the QX just has plood inside of the Armada interior, straight from the Nissan parts bin.

There is a difference. Outside, you are correct.
  • k

Plood v. different shapes. I'll take unique interior PLUS plood. :)
    To frustrate you even further, gregg - that wood like substance in the Navigator, is actually some kind of wood. May not be of the quality you will fine in a fine Jaguar or Mercedes - but.....you get unique design plus wood....
  • How about plood AND wood??
    "plood" is plastic wood!!! I finally fell out of the tree on that one -- I'm not hip to all the lingo yet!

To be honest, I never could tell the difference between real and fake wood trims.

The "quality" test I use is to tap on the dash and the control console -- if it sounds thick and substantial I am happy, if it sound hollow and plasticky I'm not so happy. Very unscientific, I know -- but it works for me.

Case in point -- I just took in my wife's 06 ML350 for service and got an 07 Buick Lucerene as a loaner -- nice wood trim all around (nice car, too)-- BUT one tap on the dash and you could tell the dash was cheaply built by the plasticky echo that resonated.

I tried this same "tap test" on the 07 Navigator's interior at a car show and I was VERY impressed. The way the switches clicked, trays opened, etc. also felt substantial and had a "quality" feel to them.

I had an 03 Navi that had the brushed aluminum console and a plastic flip down door that looked and felt cheap and flimsy to me. The overall interior was nice though.

On the Infiniti QX -- Banker you are 100% right on that one -- The front end of that car looks very strange to me. Also, the strange sloping roof line of that truck makes it seem like the back 3/4's of the truck was welded on as an afterthought. The interior also seems a little flimsy to me too. I'm not a big fan of the QX in it's current form.
  • Plastic wood can look better than the real stuff sometimes...it is all the execution.

I had real wood trim in my Olds 98 Touring Sedan. You could have fooled me, except they mistakenly installed the plastic stuff from the regular 98 on one door, and it looked truly awful in contrast. But then the console cracked, and they replaced the whole thing. The new "real wood" was a completely different shade from the rest....

There are many reasons Olds is gone. That was one of the most comfortable and well-appointed cars I ever had, but totally unreliable. The secon worst car I ever owned, in fact, next to an evil Opel.

Anyway, there is much plood, wood, and both real and fake metal trim, available after market. Again, some of it is gruesome, both in design and fit, but with the well executed stuff, it is difficult to tell the difference between tree and oil-based veneers.
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but the 2008 Navi is getting a unique rear view camera set-up where the video is displayed on the rear view mirror instead of the nav unit. Here's a link to a pic.. scroll down a bit within the page to see it.

Seems like an interesting idea......

http://media.ford.com/press_files/2008_Lincoln_Navigator.pdf
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Yeah, it's pretty cool. The Mazda CX-9 gets too. Not sure if anything else will.
    The new Navi has got my interests peaked again. Saw a gold one with beige interior with all the toys and it looks SWEET! Pictures do not do this truck justice. Some of the pics I've seen make the truck look plain ugly. In person though it comes across (at least to me) as quite elegant.

I still can't get past how much they have improved the interior quality feel. The seats are amazing and the console seems thick and substantial.

Now with the rear-end camera this truck is even better.

Seems like this board has been dead for a while -- where are the old timers -- akirby? Nvbanker? others???? steve00gator??? Anyone still around???? I've been away too enjoying my LS430.... I'm getting that truck itch again though......
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Present! Just not much Navigator stuff to discuss lately.
    Also here sir - but have switched to an Escalade and (like you), an LS430, so I'm really just trolling now - waiting for a NEW Navigator to come out with real instruments again, and a grille that doesn't remind me of a Remington shaver... I agree with your interior comments EXCEPT for the guage cluster, which is right out of a 79 F-150. Not that great then either. I can't abide that. Then the dumb asses went and put the same thing in the MKX and MKZ too, so evidently, it's the new face of Lincoln instrumentation.

Lincoln at the moment makes nothing that appeals to me in total, enough to buy it. And that's sad - there was no more ardent Lincoln fan than I for 15 or so years. I applaud the improvements I have seen, upholstery in all Lincolns is 10X better than before, for example. The Town Car actually resembles a luxury car again inside. But I can't tell who the hell they are anymore. No consistency across the product lines - no real theme, no soul anymore. Frankly, the Lincoln I like most now, is the dreaded Mark LT! I could own one of those someday to pull the boat.

Like you, teach - I miss my old Navigator. I mourn its death.

I love my LS430 though....
    Good to see you guys have stuck around. Lincoln styling has definitely become an acquired taste. Do they want to be retro? Do they want to be "post-modern" (whatever the heck that means)???

For the money though, to me the gator is still the most feature-filled full size lux ute out there. I would jump at the new caddy in a second but that third row just isn't acceptable to me anymore --Ford's roomy fold flat third row has spoiled me.

I'm trying to work out a deal on the 2008 navi with the rear camera... now they have an "elite" pckg. that has all the goodies... I'll let you know if I can pull it off. If not I'll wait 'till end-of-year incentives kick in.

My REAL goal here is to buy some time until I can get into the new Lexus LX570 coming out early next year (can't figure why they can't fold that darn third row flat, but anyways...). Unfortunately, I think that truck won't be available for a reasonable price for quite a while.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    "My REAL goal here is to buy some time until I can get into the new Lexus LX570 coming out early next year (can't figure why they can't fold that darn third row flat, but anyways...). "

Geez, must be nice. Buy some time and a $60,000 SUV until the $75,000 SUV you really want comes up. Gawd, what is YOUR job? Can I get one like that? :>)

My '04 Navigator at 41000 miles is like a top. Almost no issues with it. Just wish it was easier on gas. Can't abide the instruments in the new one. The exterior has grown on me, but looking at those guages after the hi-tech looking ones in the '03-06 would be impossible for me. Some Lincoln muck-muck droned on about how Lincoln is all about modern. I guess he hadn't approved these stoopid guages.

Enjoy.
    My REAL goal here is to buy some time until I can get into the new Lexus LX570 coming out early next year (can't figure why they can't fold that darn third row flat, but anyways...). Unfortunately, I think that truck won't be available for a reasonable price for quite a while.

So funny you should mention that - my pet peeve for all SUVs other than Fords has been their inability to figure out how to powerfold their third seat down, when Ford showed them how in 2002! Nissan put it in their Armada/Q56,
    and now it's catching on with others like the Pilot and R -class, but when I too was looking forward to getting a 570, I was appalled to see they had still not incorporated this feature into their "totally new" SUV!! Hanging them up on the sides is ridiculous, but I guess better than dragging it out. It could be a deal breaker with me.

BTW, my Escalade is the EXT model (like the Avalanche), so the third seat isn't an issue since there isn't one. I preferred my 03 Navigator by a long shot in many many ways, but not the 07.
    Geez, must be nice. Buy some time and a $60,000 SUV until the $75,000 SUV you really want comes up. Gawd, what is YOUR job? Can I get one like that? :>)

Wife and I own and run a finance co. for heavy equipment and commercial vehicles... I wish it was a "job"... instead it's a 24/7 "lifestyle"....very good $$ returns, but there's a heck of a lot sweat-n-stress in the process :)

Still, there's a $25 Timex on my wrist and a $10 Target polo on my back.... expensive cars and trucks though -- those are what get the "kid in the toy store" out of me! :)

BTW, I think I'm holding off a few months to get the '08 navi... dealers are still trying to unload the '07's. If it weren't for that backup camera I'd jump now for an '07.
    Are you gonna check out the 2008 LX570, teach?
    The new LX is on the top of my list. I am assuming this truck runs quiet and smoothly. The pics of the truck (esp. the interior) seem very nice. With 400 horses it should have very decent power.

BUT.....

I'm thinking this truck will be hard to get for the first few months (lots of people with cash to burn wanting to be early adopters) AND the price probably won't budge much off of MSRP for the first half of next year.

The Navigator, more-so now perhaps thanks to the new "remington look" (LOL!!!!), has always provided great bang for the buck and invoice deals are not hard to come by. A used or demo LX470 should be a decent deal now, too.

Right now, those are the two options I'm closely looking at as my next options for two years 'till the 570 becomes reasonable.
    Not a bad strategery, there teach. The 3rd seat is still unbeatable in the Navigator, for room and convenience.
    Are there any 2007+ Navi customers out there that can comment on the driving characteristics of the truck? Press stuff says that it is a very quiet, smooth shifting ride. Any real world confirmations on that?

Also, has anyone upgraded from athe 2003-2006 model up to the '07's? If so, do you notice any differences in the ride?

I'm probably test driving an '08 this weekend and I wanted to know what to expect....

Thanks!!!
  • montobahnmontobahn Member Posts: 11
    I would say the 2007 Nav is the smoothest and quietest of all the big SUV's. Just finished a 3,000 trip and nothing but good things to say.

I almost got the Cady but got tied of always hearing the motor\exhaust noise and felt GM didn't deserve my business due to the lack of thought year after year regarding the 3rd row seating.
  • It all comes down to what you prefer. There are many people who don't much care about the third row seating as much as the lack of thought that Lincoln has put into its engine...the same 300 hp unit available for years and years, and the same mill that motivates the F150. It is quite adequate, but hardly competitive with Cadillac.
    I still don't understand why you need 400 hp in a top heavy SUV. I think they just need new sheetmetal and a newer gauge cluster. Better mileage would be a better selling point than more power.
  • Ford knows that one of the reasons they got into their present fix is that they have been derelict with engine design. With a few exceptions, their vehicles have not been tops for either fuel efficiency or power. Look at that hoary old 4.6 they keep putting in the Town Car year after year. The 3.0 liter 146 hp engine in the Ranger is probably older than I am.

Yes, new sheetmetal would be good too. The Nav hasn't had a major sheetmetal change since its introduction. Better mileage would also be great. Unfortunately, that is not an advantage of the current engine either. As time marches on, so should the technology. More power or more mpg from the same engine, or the same power from a smaller more fuel efficient engine would be nice.

Frankly, I don't understand why most people even need 300 hp, unless they are towing, but that is just the way of the world. Go back 10 years and 200 hp was considered quite adequate.
    Whatever happened to the "hurricane engine" with a gazzilion horsepower that Ford was supposedly working on? The rumor was that the Navi would be getting that new engine to compete with the Escalade..... Is that engine still in the pipeline or is it dead?
  • It is still in the pipeline. It is not here yet, because it was cancelled (thankfully, temporarily) by the bozos who preceded Mulally.
    6.2L debuting in Feb. 09 I think in the F150. Should follow in the SUVs sometime later - maybe Fall 09. Twin Force versions are also rumored (twin turbo direct injection).
  • As always, late, very late to the party.

Ford still has not figured out how to get a product out in three years or less, like the competition can do. Must be dizzying for them to see all the new stuff coming almost continuously from Japan and Korea.

Hopefully this twin force stuff will leapfrog some of the competition.
    They didn't used to be late to the party - they were first with the Pony car, first with the Taurus that changed everything, first with the Navigator and laughs turned into OMGs by the General - it's really only been since Bill Ford took over, that they have forgotten how to lead in any category... The 3rd row power folding seat was another thing they led in.... Give them some credit.... There's no doubt in my mind that the engineers who are still there, would LOVE to lead, if management would let them, or fund them.
    I blame most of it on the management chain, having to get capital funding approved by the Board, not having a clear viable strategy across the board and making poor decisions under stressful circumstances (Firestone).

I believe it's either been fixed or will be fixed soon (we've seen some evidence already) but I don't think they'll catch up for a couple more years.

And if Bill Ford was still running things you could forget about it. He's a really nice guy but he doesn't know how to run a car company.
    So for fall 2009 the Navigator "may" be in store for big change.... let's see what happens.

Regardless of styling and engine.. from what I've seen, the Navigator/Expedition can't be beaten as far as passenger comfort and interior room. As far as I know , this is the only vehicle (besides a passenger van) that'll hold four large adults and 4 kids in car seats/booster seats comfortably -- great for road trips with the in-laws,grandparents, nieces and nephews, etc.... that third row is a work of art... especially for adults.

Now.. have they smoothed out the Navi's ride to Lexus levels? My '03 was a "no" for me in that category.... let's see about the updated version......
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    Let's get real here. Why do u think Ford is going to make a "big" change in the Navigator? They just redesigned the thing, giving it Zephyr tailights, remington grille, instruments from an old Versailles and more chrome than a '59 Airstream. WHy would they redo that so soon? ;)

In '03 they gave the Nav (and Expe) independent rear suspension thus improving ride and handling and allowing for the great fold flat 3rd row. I love my '04 Nav. THe ride and handling are what sold me on it. I expected it to float like a boat like the '02s and back do.

Now this aint good enough? Now it needs to be "smoothed out to Lexus levels"? Lets not forget that the Lexus starts at $20,000 MORE than the Nav. And then lets remember that the Japanese have appx a $5000 cost advantage vs Ford. So you just want Ford to do for $50,000 what Toyota does for $75,000 ???

Dream on. If you got the money, get the Lexus. Just gotta learn to love thos fold up to the windo 3rd seats. :P
    "Now this aint good enough? Now it needs to be "smoothed out to Lexus levels"? Lets not forget that the Lexus starts at $20,000 MORE than the Nav. And then lets remember that the Japanese have appx a $5000 cost advantage vs Ford. So you just want Ford to do for $50,000 what Toyota does for $75,000 ???"

Yep. Unfair expectations? Perhaps.

I had an '03 with a jittery steering wheel on the highway and it felt a bit rough going 60mph+ with no "fix". Maybe I had a bad one? Who knows.

I'm looking forward to trying the newer one.. I'll pass on what the test drive reveals...
    I test drove the 2008 Navi over the weekend.

I liked it. A LOT.

So much so, I bought it!

A few initial comments on the truck from my first few drives.....

Overall, a very "solid" ride. It drives smooth as can be. The interior is whisper quiet -- much quieter than my '03. At highway speeds you can still feel the wind a bit, but I guess that's just the physics of driving a box.

I've driven it over railroad tracks and you barley notice the bumps.

The steering wheel feels smooth and solid, and the truck drives as if it were on glass. The truck doesn't race off the line but I'm hard pressed to notice when it shifts gears...it's one solid smooth ride from 0 to 75mph.

The interior refinement of the vehicle was quite impressive. All the knobs and switches "click" nicely and the interior materials look and feel great.

The Navigation system is as good as I've seen. Same high quality as the Lexus nav -- still haven't played with it much though. The color rearview camera system on the mirror is very functional and a GREAT safety addition to this truck. It's a bit smallish on the display but I'm very glad to have it.

I test drove a gold '08 with camel interior with elite package and the 20 inch chrome wheels. I noticed that the hood did NOT have the extra chrome strip on the top lip -- a little less chrome on the front end is definitely a good thing for me!!!

The front sun visors now extend to cover the entire window -- a neat feature that my '03 didn't have. The power rear liftgate no longer makes that "dentist drill" noise and it now closes with a classy, hushed "thunk" instead of the loud bang-n-rattle of my '03 gator.

The seats are a MAJOR upgrade for me from the '03. They feel very soft when you first sit, but they seem to provide good support.

At night the interior lights up beautifully with white led lights all over the place. The navigation system dims based on exterior lighting conditions. The light wood trim looks and feels as good as any wood trim I've seen on any vehicle.

From what I can tell so far, the truck does not have rain sensing wipers -- that's a feature I'll miss, but I'll survive without it.

The rearview mirrors are HUGE -- no blind spots with these puppies!

I've yet to play with the DVD entertainment system, but the unit is very thin and looks very elegant. It is tucked out of the way so as not to obstruct the view to the rear when closed.

This is a big, comfortable truck. Much like my now traded-in LS430, it is the perfect antidote for a crazy day at work. The THX sound system sounds clear and crisp. The truck comes with Sirrius satellite free for 6 months -- We'll see if it'll be worth the $7 to $12 bucks a month after that.

I look forward to seeing how this navi hold ups to road trips and kiddie abuse over the next 2 years... so far though, I am very impressed with what the folks at Ford have done with this truck.

Anyone wanting a big suv with loads of space should definitely put this one on their list for a test drive.
    Great review, gteach, thanks. Interesting - I followed you from your 03 Gator to your LS430 - wonder if I'll follow you back. I agree with most of your points - Now having an Escalade, I can testify that the Gator is way more sophisticated functionally. Other than the bhp of the motors, (and honestly, I do not "feel" the extra power in the Slade), the Gator rides better, drives better, is quieter and handles much better. Really handles bumps better. And the 3rd seat - it's just criminal that GM hasn't copied this design yet for their GMT900 SUVs.

The only knock I have on the new Gator is the design - design outside still repels me, looks garish rather than refined and dignified, and the old fashioned guages and instrumentation bothers me. I'm into nostalgia - like the Thunderbird and Mustang are - but not where you go back in technology. The throttle on the steering column could be next, be careful!

I do miss my Gators. I would love to get another one, but am constrained due to these factors.. But, I'll watch with interest to see how you like yours.... Thanks for sharing.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    throttle on the steering column

Sometimes I wish for one of those - I wind up playing with the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel way too much.

Last time I saw one stock was on a Model T I guess. May have to skim the adaptive tech sites. ;)
    Now that I've had more of a chance to tinker with the bus, here are a few little (some silly) nice and not so nice things I've noticed:

The turn signal "click" sounds "luxurious" -- if that makes any sense. The only trade off is that I can't really hear it even if the radio is on at a modest volume.

The rear view camera has a landing strip graphic on it that makes it easy to back the bus up into tight parking spaces. Downside -- the popup screen is a bit small and it's hard to notice objects at night on the thing.

The new steering wheel design feels very nice. The controls on the wheel are easy to use.

The navigation system is the most intuitive,easy-to-use, most feature packed design I've seen on ANY car (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes). This is a HUGE improvement over my '03 cd based, joy stick clunker.

I LOVE how the redesigned power liftgate operates. That thing is so quiet and smooth now that you hardly know it's opening or closing.

There are a few things that I miss from my other car that I hope newer Navi's eventually incorporate such as:

Rain sensing wipers, auto up/down feature on ALL windows (the bus only has auto on the front ones), front parking sensors (it's hard to measure how much space I have left until I bump something but I'll figure it out with time),smart key system to unlock doors and start the car while the key fob is in my back pocket or briefcase, BLUETOOTH for handsfree cell phone use, and a power fold mirror option that can be set to automatically fold the mirrors when locking the bus (Can they be set to automatic???).

Overall my goal with the bus was to have an ultra-quiet, ultra roomy, ultra-smooth ride. This navi is definitely fitting the bill in those areas.

As I keep getting to know the bus better I'll let you know what I find....
  • xxaznvtguyxxxxaznvtguyxx Member Posts: 4
    What's was the MSRP on this BUS? How much did you pay for it? I wonder how much I can save getting a 07 instead of the 08. Sounds like you liked it very much. That's great. I always LOVED navigators. I had a 2000 bought brand new and a 06 bought used. One thing with navigators is they have a tid bit "wind noise". I have not test drive the 07 or 08 but it's present on my 06. My friend have an older LX470 but no "wind noise". ENJOY YOUR "BUS"!
This discussion has been closed.