Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    The masses will understand the chicken head better.

I still worry about the longterm performance of such systems, seeing as MB has been using ABC for about a decade now, and earlier models can be troublesome.

Speaking of commercials, there seems to be an inordinate amount of commercials lately that feature whistling. Irritates me to no end. Such a shallow played out ploy.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited October 2013
    Are you familiar with the system? Is it hydraulic?

Not the type of thing an original owner worries about, or even a CPO owner, but hopefully we don't see saggy suspensions once they're older.

Older air suspensions Subarus end up being converted to springs because it's cheaper.
    Hydraulic, and being German, very complex. MB got into active rear suspensions maybe 30 years ago (and had air suspension in the 60s, but I don't think it was really "active"), but the current breed dates back to about 2000. The pre 2007 cars seem to be much more trouble prone than newer cars.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "A lot of people don't like the road, but it's as natural to me as breathing." Dylan

2014 Jeep Cherokee Ad Campaign Gets Help From Bob Dylan
    I have a bet with rsholland on that car, me betting it will fail.

Who will buy it?

It's too feminine and polarizing to the traditional Jeep buyer.

And it has capabilities that aren't needed by the group who might be attracted to the polarizing look.

I don't know who the customer will be. Blind off roaders?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    They sold plenty of Compasses and Patriots. I see this Cherokee doing just fine.
    Nowhere near the number of Escapes and CR-Vs. Not even in the same ball park.
    This is old data, from March, just to give us a reference:

Escape 28,934 +27.6%
    CR-V 26,897 -9.6%
    Equinox 20,997 +4.7%
    Rav4 16,474 -1.6%
    Rogue 15,381 -9.4%
    Forester 9,050 +46.2%
    Patriot 7,420 +8%
    Journey 7,283 -5%
    CX-5 7,116 +96.1%
    SantaFe 7,116 (5 & 7 passenger versions)
    Compass 5,111 +28%
    XV CrossTrek 4,688
    Tucson 4,073
    Tiguan 3,304 +24.3%
    Sportage 2,680

So Patriot was 7th in sales, but only represented 1/4th the sales of the leaders.

I doubt the Cherokee will do any better.
    Watching TV with my grandma last night, she complained about the Fiat 500 LWB commercial being "stupid".

There's also a local Honda spot with an idiotic song that states "get me into a Honda" - lowest common denominator "ad creatives" at work.

Also far too many commercials out there right now with whistling - more dumb ad creatives hard at work.
    They're going after the 18-25 hipsters. ;)
    edited October 2013
    AKA people who in this devolved economy are lucky to be able to afford used cars?

For the whistling, I think it is supposed to sooth harried overstressed middle aged types, whistling being carefree and relaxing. Sadly, it probably works.
    It's too feminine and polarizing to the traditional Jeep buyer.

Remember that people said that about the Liberty too, yet all kinds of "beefy" guys bought one.
    They don't even want cars. The closest they get to driving is playing car games on their smart phones and tablets.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Heck, a young guy I know doesn't even have his driver's license and gets around by bike or bus. I guess that's feasible since he lives in the city, but elsewhere, it would be a major league inconvenience. If he needs to go anywhere far, he calls on me or a relative.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    It's hard for these kids to finance any kind of car on a minimum wage job while having onerous college loan payments that rival a mortgage. I can't imagine many of today's college graduates being able to purchase a new car like I did back in 1987. I guess they really WERE the good old days!
    I graduated not much more than a decade ago, and it seems like costs were less than half, then - while wages certainly haven't doubled. I will still say the perceived lack of interest in cars among that age group is partly due to cost. It's not like transit suddenly became first world quality in much of the US.
    edited October 2013
    Back in my day it was a given that you'd get your license as soon as you were eligible.

One recent grad here went to school two hours away, and her dad insisted she get a license since they didn't want to do taxi service in order to occasionally see her at home.

Seems like often it's the parents pushing their kids to get a license because the parents want to quit doing most of the driving themselves, at least out here where stuff isn't close together. Back in my day, parents wanted to delay teen driving, but rarely were able to resist the pressure.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited October 2013
    when I was 13 I was chompin' at the bit ta get my driver's license. My parents were pushing me to get a driver's license and part of the speech was "to get your own independence." I didn't need any pushing!

I saved $1,000 and borrowed from Dad (and paid him back pretty quickly) the other $595 to buy my first car - a 1965 Ford Mustang with a 6 cyl. 200 c.i. 3-speed stick with oxidized purple paint and alloys. Before that I drove Mom and Dad's '63 GMC Jimmy pickup, Dad's '66 VW Fastback and Mom's '68 Buick LeSabre. They were a great intro. into automobiles and to this day I tip my hat to my parents for encouraging automobile travel.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    no lack of interest by the kids in my house. They both wanted a license and car, and still are drivers.. My daughter really couldn't wait to be able to take herself places instead of depending on me to do it!

of course, they are both driving "my" cars. My son will get something of his own as soon as he lands a career type job (since at that point I will repo the TL he is still using).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    My son decided to take the X3, explaining that if he had an E36 M3 or a 330 ZHP he would undoubtedly get into trouble with it.
    He still asks to borrow the MS3- I just laugh...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

"Thanks to Ron Burgundy, we know the 2014 Dodge Durango can do a lot of things – from produce 360 times more power than one horse to fitting 70 packs of gum in its glove box.

“The Dodge Durango got a big boost from this month's fun new commercials featuring Will Ferrell’s Ron Burgundy character from ‘Anchorman,’ said Edmunds.com senior analyst Michelle Krebs. “Durango shopping soared on Edmunds.com after the ads launched.”

Chrysler Group LLC sold 5,120 Durango models last month, a 59 percent increase from October 2012. Through October, the company reports Durango sales are up 50 percent compared to last year to 33,282 and interest in the Durango continues to increase online."

Did 'Anchorman' Ron Burgundy help drive Dodge Durango sales? (mlive.com)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I love the "Camry Thrill Ride"- barely sentient passengers terrified and wowed by riding in a Camry over some bumps, hills, and banked curves...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited November 2013
    But it's grounded to the ground, dontcha know! Of course, the majority will see a somewhat sporty set of wheels and some body cladding, and think "performance".

The Ron Burgundy spots are kind of on the border between tiring and funny - I guess that character hasn't been played out yet. Not offensive.
    those Durango ads did absolutely nothing to make me want to look at a Durango (that is the whole point of an ad, right?) though I doubt anything good.

but, it did accomplish something. Made sure that I would never consider seeing the movie!

Well, some ads are considered a success if you just get the product name in front of people. So from that criteria, it worked. Even got my attention and I don't watch TV, adblock when I'm surfing, and only see about one or two movies a year. :shades:
    it is November 19th. And I am so sick of the Christmas commercials that I am turning into Scrooge I think.

not enough to make me not want to look at cars, but a few brands are well off the list now!

I've had the TV on for an hour and heard a Lexus one twice already. Also heard a local one in California last week.

But hey, no spoiled princesses and ostentatious houses yet this year.
    It seems lately, car makers are caught up in the "Black Friday" hype as much or more as normal retailers. At Thanksgiving, my grandmother was complaining that there are too many car commercials.

Lexus one makes me laugh, a woman in high heels operating a treadle sewing machine?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,154
    Dodge ...

A cloud of dust wafts across the screen. Voiceover in a deep male voice:

"Not many kids dream of having posters of a Passat on the wall".

The dust clears to show a Dodge Charger doing donuts.

Graphic: "300 HP. 31 MPG."

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    >>>>>Lexus one makes me laugh, a woman in high heels operating a treadle sewing machine?>>>>>

That is classy.

No doubt people are humming the nice Lexus Christmas melody at this time of year when viewing the well produced and artistic Lexus commercials. Lexus Christmas melody almost as familiar with Americans as jingle bells.
    I am not sure about what class that would be, or if most know the song, but to Toyolex's credit, they've toned down the spoiled entitled princess angle this year.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think I'd like being married to Vampira either.
    She is kind of unusual.

I still get a kick out of how they term it "provocative" styling - not good mind you, just provocative.
    The whole thing is kind of creepy.

Hmmm....they aren't very funny actually....try again Jerry.

The Seinfeld ads are really bad, and I am saying this as someone who really liked his show. Acura, try harder with your ads and cars both.

Oh, man---- kudos to Jaguar--what a slapdown! :'( You're right, fin, the Seinfeld ads are appalling amateur. This time, the standup comic bombed on stage.

I do need to say, until this rash of Honda ads appeared, I had no idea Michael Bolton was still around. And now I wish he wasn't. He makes me miss that animated Mr. opportunity or whatever they called him when he knocked. And totally turned me off to even thinking of Honda.

edited December 2013

The craigslist ad probably won't be up much longer but the youtube should hang around.

Nissan liked the ad and bought the car, a '96 Maxima. (adweek.com)

The video was very well done. I guess he got his $1400 + $1K to his favorite charity. I wonder how many miles were on the car---oh wait, the odometer is broken!

edited January 2014

Lot of work when they could just use one of the cars in my unheated garage.

Canadian Tire Ice Truck

OK, it is 2014.

Can Michael Bolton please go back to wherever he has been hiding for the last 10 years?

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856

@stickguy said:
    OK, it is 2014.

Can Michael Bolton please go back to wherever he has been hiding for the last 10 years?

That would be a wonderful thing!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@stickguy said:
    OK, it is 2014.

I'd rather have the Bolton than Mr. Opportunity.....

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@stickguy said:
    OK, it is 2014.

Agree. Agree. Agree. Can't say it enough. I cannot tolerate his "it hurts so much to hit this note" style. Time for Honda to find someone more appealing, imo.

Ad for the Lexus GS is kind of iffy - brags about having more hp than MB and BMW. The GS350 has 4 more hp than equivalent E350. Wow, cool.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856

Reminds me of the circa 2002 Chrysler 300M "special" that had like 5 extra HP.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve