Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• capnkirkcapnkirk Member Posts: 10
    I found a dealer with a number of Highlanders available for $2000 over invoice. My local dealer (who wants almost 2K more) warned me that the cars might have been manufactured for sale in Canada, and had the speed pod changed to the US model. If so, he says the car is not covered under US warranties. Is there any way to be sure what country the car was manufactured for. Does the dealer have to disclose if they have changed the Speed/Odometer?
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Canadian cars at $2grand over? Even *I* am selling them cheaper than that!

Dianne
    dianne@earthlink.net
  • odalagerodalager Member Posts: 6
    First of all, we were able to get the HL for over $1000 off MSRP here in SoCal. A V6 with Appearance, Convenience, Preferred Pkgs (but no sunroof) for under $27,000 in the color we wanted! Comparing that to an Explorer, Pathfinder, Montero Sport, etc., I think this is a much better SUV. Of course its not on par with the RX300, but if you don't need the luxury and want to spend $6000-$8000 less, this is the next best thing (plus its roomier).

We traded in our '98 Camry to get the HL, and the drive is very similar. The HL handles corners very well, and the ride is super smooth. I would recommend the V6 over the 4-cyl. for a couple thousand more, especially if you plan to keep the car (less strain on the engine). Although crash tests are not yet available, we feel comfortable that the HL will perform well if not excellent (look at the Sienna, Camry and Lexus RX300).

The only compliant is the absence of a center console (available for about $150). The HL is a great SUV for those that appreciate nice driving and extra room over a car. If you can wait for the prices to drop? do so, but personally I think its a great value regardless.
  • svec7186svec7186 Member Posts: 56
    i emailed Toyotanewburgh.com and a salesman told me that the best they could do was $500 under mprp. what was the salesmans name that gave you $2400 below msrp?

thanks
  • dichelledichelle Member Posts: 25
    What tires do you have on your HL? There seems to be a lot of variation in opinion about the ride quality, and I'm wondering if that could be part of the difference. We drove one with Bridgestone tires that was not particularly smooth and did not seem to be near a Camry in quality. Strange.

I'm glad you are enjoying yours!
  • shl72953shl72953 Member Posts: 53
    I keep seeing references to available center consoles but can't find the source of same. Can someone drop a clue? Purchased a Highlander on Tuesday and am in the process of putting various add-on in the vehicle. A decent center console would be especially appreciated, even if it meant covering up the upholders.
  • odalagerodalager Member Posts: 6
    I have Goodyears. You won't get exactly a Camry ride regardless of the tires, but for an SUV, its probably the closest you'll get.
  • andrec8513andrec8513 Member Posts: 16
    The salesman was actually the sales manager. Tony Crisci. I really think the only reason I got the amount off, was that I have bought 5 cars from this dealer and 4 from Tony. Tony is on vacation until next Wed. Just don't mention my name.
  • kem1kem1 Member Posts: 24
    There is a center console shown in the Highlander's pamphlet available from Toyota as an add-on option. It shows two cup hoders - much better located than the orginal 'flip-downs'.
    Here in CA, some of the Highlanders have center consoles. It's really a dealer-discretionary item. It's a PIO (port installed option) and if the car lands without one, it's addable but at a much higher expense to the dealership than the $199 window price.

Dianne
  • eds9eds9 Member Posts: 1
    Outside of the price, is the difference between these two vehicles monumental? When looking over the brochures the motors, transmissions, body platform, weight, height, shoulder room, wheel base, etc., appear very close if not identical. Is the RX300 worth the extra money? I have had a test drive in each vehicle and the drive seemed compatible to me. Yet, others have told me that comparing the RX300 with the Highlander is like comparing apples to oranges. The prices on both cars seem to run the gamut and nowhere does the price seem to stabilize. I live in the Tamp Bay area of Florida and am not certain which car I should favor. Any thoughts or help?
  • bironbbironb Member Posts: 63
    I am presently in the market for a car based SUV with reasonable gas mileage. I have test-driving a Tribute, Escape, Santa Fe and the new Highlander (without Limited package) and all vehicles were equipped with V6's. In the area of performance/handling I found the Tribute/Escape to be on par with the Highlander, but when it comes to NVH and fit and finish there is no comparison. I personally found the Highlander to be much more refined with a solid overall feel and higher quality interior materials then the other vehicles.

Now when it comes to pricing, comparing a similar equipped Escape and Highlander (minus tonneau cover and alloy wheels) the price difference is $7,105 MSRP more for the Highlander. Perhaps it is not a fair comparison knowing Ford quality and reliability in general compared to Toyota's but it does seem to be somewhat overpriced to me, no.
  • wbarnettwbarnett Member Posts: 5
    Many people seem to compare the Highlander with the RX300. Since they have the same engine, etc., perhaps this is reasonable, but personally I would prefer the Highlander to the RX300, since the RX300 has an annoyingly large blind spot produced by the large angular post separating the small back side window from the window in front of it on the driver's side. The Highlander has fixed that by its more conventional design of side windows and posts. So I see no reason to pay more for the RX300, which I don't like as much as the Highlander. It is not difficult to get luxurious amenities from other SUVs that do not have such an unpleasant blind spot in the side rear area. So if I do not buy a Highlander, it will not be to buy an RX300. I tend to compare the Highlander with SUVs produced by Infinity (being heavily discounted now), Acura, BMW, and manufacturers that will be introducing their new SUVs in the spring. Personally I think that the current RX300 is on the way out in perhaps another year or two. To me, its blind spot is simply unacceptable.
  • tshadletshadle Member Posts: 38
    I cannot believe none of the new HL owners have felt the series of bouncy vibrations in the driver's seat when driving on city roads. The HL takes big bumps like train tracks very well but expansion joint roads, no. All I hear is how smooth the ride is, but I think that is only in comparison to a traditional SUV.
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Does it look like Japanese version Highlander [Kluger]?

TIA
  • qguqgu Member Posts: 93
    There were a few posts talking about the rough ride. In fact, in Motor Trend's brief review, it was said the ride was not as comfortable as the upcoming Buick SUV. Many people in this forum will probably not be able to notice the problem because they fall in love with Toyota.

Somebody, who sells Toyota, suggested to take the Ford Explorer approach which is to reduce tire pressure.
  • pkdlpkdl Member Posts: 10
    Dianne,

This post about it costing more to add the console after the car lands confused me. Isn't the PIO-port the arriving port in the US?
    I lowered my tire pressure from 39 to 32 pounds on each tire and pretty much eliminated the expansions joints" bounciness. Have Bridgestone Duelers on so hope they don't shred like Firestones with the lower pressure.
    Ordered a center console, sight unseen, from my dealership, as long as it comes in under $200. Kinda hoping it looks like the Japanese one but almost anything is better that that dead space between the seats. Of course, I'm not married so don't have to worry about a place for the wife the put her purse and since I'm retired I don't worry about putting a brief case in that spot. Under either one of those circumstances, I would probably leave the space alone.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I am the Toyota guy who made the tire pressure suggestion and you completely missed the point. These things are shipped with the tires over inflated to prevent flat spots on the tires. It is the dealer's job to drop this back to the factory recommended pressure. That had not been done in the vehicle I described which lead to the bouncy ride. Please get your story straight before making statements like that in the future.
    Many dealerships in the US will buy cars from Canadian dealers when a vehicle is in short supply in the US. There are a couple of problems a buyer must beware of. When the speedometer/odometer cluster is replaced, there is a legal question about the odometer statement. This is not a settled issue and you may be required to make a "true mileage unknown" statement if you ever sell it.

The other issue is the warranty. If the selling US dealership does what it is supposed to do, there is no problem. They must enter the VIN into the Toyota system. If they don't, you have no warranty. If they do, you have the same warranty any other used (yes, these are technically used cars) car has.

Anybody considering a new HL needs to be aware of these issues because a dealership who is selling them will not tell you. If you don't care about resale value or slightly different equipment packaging, they can make for a very good deal.
    Once the car hits the dealership, there is no "sending it back to port" for the cheaper options. You have to decide how your cars are going to be equipped at PORT and when they land, you get what you get. It's a guerssing game: who's gonna want center console, and who isn't. After the fact, it's easy to add mats, trunk area mat, cargo nets etc because they are pretty cheap regardless. A console, after the car's at the dealership, is nearly twice as much, installed.

Di
    Ah - I think I understand now. When you say "land", you mean at the dealership. I was thinking it meant the port.

I second (or third - I tried to ask once before :) the request that anyone who has had a chance to check out the console append their impressions.
  • bironbbironb Member Posts: 63
    Edmunds new vehicle review list the competing models to the Highlander as the Blazer, Explorer, Jimmy and Cherokee. These are all truck based SUV's. What are the car based SUV's models?
  • lfd440lfd440 Member Posts: 33
    Emailed you last week.... I'm defenitely leaning more towards a Highlander V6 over the Pathfinder thanks to your advice. I test drove one just north of Boston MA. yesterday.... I had a doozy of a salesman.. I asked him if the two roof rack bars were removable and not a complicated task. I need the overhead room due to the garage door opener. His reply was..I duno..( don't know).Terrific! Can you answer the roof rack bars removal question?
    The dealership only had 2 on the lot.In this part of the country ( northeast)they'll be a longer wait for a larger selection. I'm pretty much sold on Toyota and a big part is due to you !
  • tlcjactlcjac Member Posts: 10
    We test drove a beautiful black V6 AWD Highlander with the Limited package and tan leather interior which had a center console. The console was fairly low to the ground - about the same height as the seats. The cupholders seemed better than the pop out ones on the seat, but not as nice as cupholders on Camry and Tundra (I am a cupholder connoisseur). There did seem to be ample storage room for cell phones, maps, etc.
  • grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    "I lowered my tire pressure from 39 to 32 pounds on each tire and pretty much eliminated the expansions joints" bounciness. Have Bridgestone Duelers on so hope they don't shred like Firestones with the lower pressure. ..."

Tires are overinflated for vehicle shipping and storage. Check the tire sidewall to get a sense of what a reasonable tire pressure should be. The sidewall will probably state 35 as the max, and if so, 32 should be fine. I believe that many Ford Explorers were inflated (deflated?) to 26 lb or so.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I'm sorry, but one should never go by what the sidewall pressure says, and then guess at the pressure.

C'mon folks, the correct pressure for a given car and OEM tires is always in the inside of the driver's door area or the glovebox. No guess work needed.

Proper tire inflation is serious business. In the case of the Ford Exploder, their marketing/design guys made an improper decision in favor of a "better" ride than what the vehicle was designed for.
  • kem1kem1 Member Posts: 24
    Well, I did it, I kicked off a discussion on American vs. Foreign Quality in the Smart Shopper section. Have at it.
    Thanks for posting.

Is there a power socket in the console? And do the cupholders fold away at all?
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Have you updated your site with new HL. The last time i checked you had about 15 HLs. Iguess most have been sold aleady.
  • 00san00san Member Posts: 14
    There are lots of great posts and varying opinions on the highlander. Everyone seems to compare it to just about every other 4wd out there (e.g. subaru, escape, rx300, mdx, etc). But remember that the highlander is targeted to a specific market! Toyota has bigger (sequoia), more luxurious (land cruiser), smaller (rav) and more rugged (4runner).

The highlander is cross between an entry level luxury car and an SUV and in this respect it measures up beautifully. This vehicle has a great ride, refined interior (on limited), good looks (toyota conservative), relatively good gas mileage and still provides some utility (3500lb towing, 4wd, interior space).

Since I'm car shopping, I have driven 10 or so different vehicles in the last 2 months and the highlander is the best (although not perfect - hate the shifter and miss the console) match to my needs. And I don't plan to off-road, especially not with my $35000(US)
    vehicle.

For those who like to compare:

pathfinder - gas hog; typical unrefined choppy/bouncy ride (grand cherokee does it better); cheap looking leather

grand cherokee - too unreliable (but nice)

escape - cute and great value but can't get over the wind noise

RX 300 - over my price range; highlander has slightly more truck-like styling

4runner - need a step ladder to get in

The other great thing about the highlander is that it happens to be a Toyota! You don't see any posts here about staying away from a first year vehicle. Go look at the Escape forum and you'll see what I mean.
    It's got 24 Highlanders on it... I'd add more but the rest of mine are duplicates of what's already coming. As they change/sell, I try to update as I am able.

Dianne
    You asked these questions:

1. Where do they put the 6 disc changer when you get the option EJ?

**The changer is in the stereo, in dash.

2.What happen to edmunds prices on the Highlander V6 4x2 and the prices?

**I do not know!

3. When edmunds list a 3% cashback does that apply to all of the cars that toyota sells.

**I know that regionally, there are rebates on certain models at times. I know there are no incentives on Highlander. I do not know what you refer to here.

Dianne
    Yes, there is a 2% hold back and a 1% "wholesale finance reserve" which is similar to holdback on all new Toyotas. Knowledge of this isn't all that relevant on a vehicle that is selling close to sticker though.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I agree the HL is a very good vehicle in a lot of ways. But it not perfect nor w/o its problems and compromises (which aplies to all vehicles of course). The critical question becomes what do you get for your money.

If you are indeed familiar with most of the posts and previous discusions on this forum, then you will know that quit a few people are balking at the price of the HL. You mentioned that Toyota is targeting entry level with this SUV. $35K is not entry level. Infact for that price you can get an Acura MDX (base level - which is much more car tha the HL will ever be. In fact you can get a very nicely equipped Lexus RX300 for not much more than $35K.

The HL is a very nice car, but not worth paying $35K for. Of course you can get a nicely equipped HL (with entry level packaging) for less than $35, but that is not the level you are considering.

If you have not driven/looked at a base Acura MDX you owe it to yourself to do so. Base MDX MSRPs at $34850. This has more luxury, more room, more features, more engine, etc than the HL.
  • mak8mak8 Member Posts: 1
    IAM LOOKING TO LEASE A V6 4WD HL IN THE NY AREA. HAS ANYONE FOUND A GOOD DEAL ON A 36 MONTH LEASE WITH 0 DOWN?
  • llofgrenllofgren Member Posts: 129
    I am ineterested to know if anyone has taken the HL AWD system on snow (yes, I have read some reviews) and what their experience has been. Especially one WITHOUT the (VSC) skid control. Anyone have any experience? I live in Minn and can take my wife's old Subaru AWD wagon ('92) and accelerate on snow like it was summer.
    As far as buying a first model year vehicle, heres my .02: in 1991 I bought the first model year Toyota Previa ($19,000). 10 years and 170,000 miles later it still drives in many ways like a new vehicle. The only thing I have ever replaced were rear shocks......and that was after probably 100,000 miles and being on a lot of roads I never should have been on in the first place! Toyota has replaced a bunch of stuff on this van for nothing.....new stereo, some engine parts and some seat cover attachments. That van has never let me down! You might pay some extra but in the long run the Toys are FAR more durable and reliable. I would say the first year is the BEST year to buy.....because they retain their value and there might be a small discount (before everyone sees how good they are and the price runs up).
    I agree that the MDX edges out the Highlander in almost every category - and only for a few thousand more! Why would anybody buy a loaded highlander??

Well, in my case I decided against the MDX for a very specific reason. Lexus, Acura, Infinity etc. are considered high end brands and everyone thinks you have to be rich to own one (i.e. if you drive a 35k BMW people think you're loaded but not if you drive a 40k full size pickup). As a salesman (in my industry), I want my customers to know that I am successful but not to think that I am rich. So that brings me back to my slightly overpriced but conservative Toyota.

I live in Canada, and for some strange reason they only offer this vehicle in a basic v4, basic v6 or v6 with the limited edition. So if you want aluminum wheels you have to buy the fully loaded version that costs $9000(canadian) more than the basic v6 (with steel wheels).
    Can someone explain the 4wd system of the highlander.

Is it a part-time AWD that kicks in when the tires slip (like the Ford Escape) or is it an AWD system that is on all the time? What is the ratio between front and back?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The Highlander has a permanent AWD system. The torque split ratio is 50/50, even in no-slip conditions. To familiarise yourself with the different 4WD/AWD systems in the market, read my post (#2) in the 4WD systems vs AWD systems topic.

FYI, the Highlander (when equipped with VSC) adds a stability control/traction control system. VSC = Vehicle Stability Control. This system drastically helps to prevent skids from happening at all (hence significantly reducing the likelihood of rollovers as well). The Acura MDX does not have such a system. FWIW, the MDX's AWD system is not a permanent system. As you accelerate, the torque to the rear wheel progressively diminishes until the vehicle is 100% FWD (reactive vs. proactive) mode.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    "I'm sorry, but one should never go by what the sidewall pressure says, and then guess at the pressure. C'mon folks, the correct pressure for a given car and OEM tires is always in the inside of the driver's door area or the glovebox. No guess work needed.Proper tire inflation is serious business. In the case of the Ford Exploder, their marketing/design guys made an improper decision in favor of a "better" ride than what the vehicle was designed for."

Righttt..... So if you bought a Ford Explorer, the recommended no-guess, do-what-you-were-told tire pressure was 26. If you looked at the sidewall, you would see a number that the "marketing/design guys" did *not* recommend. Yet, according to you, Ford Explorer owners should have followed the "marketing/design guys", `cause then they wouldn't have been "guessing"
  • chip1951chip1951 Member Posts: 8
    This site is great! It has so much invaluable information. My hats off to all posters!

I am shopping for my first SUV. I haven't test driven any yet, but a V6 Highlander Limited is high on my list. I have a specific question to Highland owners or who have test drove it. I read from Motor Trend that the RPM of the highlander at 60m is around 2750(?). This seems to me is on the high side for a V6. If this is true then at highway cruising speed the RPM would be well over 3000. It is certainly much higher than the other two cars in the MT review. Both the Buck Rendezvous and the Ford Explorer are under 2000 at 60m. I am concerned because I understand higher rev means more noise, poorer fuel economy and more engine wear. I wonder if this was a typo or they used numbers from the 4-cylinder. Can anybody comment?

This is my first post. Please bear with me if I made any mistakes.

Thanks!
    Thanks for your post on the highlanders awd system.

I read some of your posts on the 4WD systems vs AWD systems forum and they were very informative (almost too much info!). In fact I think anyone buying an SUV should at minimum take a look at your post #2 in that forum.

Thanks
    I haven't paid a great deal of attention to the RPM's at specific speed but at 70 MPH it appears to be around 2800. I really wouldn't worry a great deal about RPM's at this speed as long as it isn't around 4500. Maybe a few extra RPMs will shorten engine life by a little (from 550,000 to 545,000 miles). Gas consumptions might also suffer fractionally but if a few tenths of a MPG is of major concern I don't think you'd be looking at a %35,000 vehicle. Noise level doesn't appear affected by the few extra RPMs. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
    Wally
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I purposely brought up the Ford Exploder issue in the first place because I knew you would. And I pointed out that was an exception where a manufacturer made a bad decision.

So what's your point?
  • agomezagomez Member Posts: 1
    I just order a 4x2 v6 highlander w/ app pkg, conv pkg, roof rack, 8 way driver seat, moonroof, cargo net, hood protector, console box, wheel locks and the dealer is "providing all mats(5)for free", and also the leather which is been done aftermarket for 1,200. Plus 433.00 for dest.chg, 500.00 for dlr holdback, and 250.00 for financial reserve which I don't know what it is.

We finally agreed on $ 28,000, about 6-7% over invoice.

can anybody give me an idea on this, I have to go to the dealer tommorow to give them the check.
    Does toyota sell the center console as an option? Does it look like the one in the RX 300 and how much is it.

thanks
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    Does Toyota have any plans to release a 5 speed manual transmission for this model?? Any speculations?
  • tilertiler Member Posts: 15
    For more info on holdback go to the top of this page.Click on home in the top left corner . Then go to the bottom, you will see incentives and rebates. Click on dealer holdback.
  • hobie1981hobie1981 Member Posts: 23
    Ask the dealer Whazzz up with the holdback and Fin. Reserve!!!! Holdback is $$$$ that go from mfg. to dealer, after vehicle is sold. Typically 2-3% MSRP. Without getting into too much detail, a dealer could sell a HL at invoice and still make money on the sale. Why are you paying the $500 ??? The $250 Fin. Reserve rings soundly of another profit center, I've never heard of such a thing. That said.. your vehicle MSRPs at roughly $29860 including dest. Invoice is ROUGHLY [;-)] $26415 including dest. At $28000, there is say $1600 profit built into the deal, over invoice. Or roughly $1800 off MSRP. I would still question the dealer regarding the $500 & $250 fees. It doesnt look like a bad deal, at $28000, but I've been pricing a different HL setup for myself. You might want to check with Dianne at Carson Toyota (see previous posts) to see what she is moving "product" for..as a point of reference. What color are you getting ???
    Good Luck... Hobie