Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fallabelfallabel Member Posts: 9
    I have a pricing question for you all:

I've been in discussions via email with my local Toyota dealership about 2008 Priuses (Prii?), in Lexington Park, Maryland. They offered $500 above invoice for any Prius in their inventory. This seems like a fantastic price...am I missing something?
  • redpriusredprius Member Posts: 3
    When I purchased my 2008 Prius w/.pkg.#5 from 355 Toyota in late december, I do'nt remember the invoice price. However, I paid $2400 under msrp, almost 10% off. How that relates to dealer invoice, I'm not sure. The price was at least 1200 better than my best quote prior.
  • rockville1rockville1 Member Posts: 26
    $500 above dealer invoice is not a very good deal. You can do much better than that. I have contacted several dealers in the Maryland suburbs of DC and my current best offer is $200 below dealer invoice or $2,100 off the MSRP.

I'm looking at the Package #6 with MSRP of $27,803. Dealer invoice is listed at $25,918 and they are offering $25,700 + T&T.

Other dealers have offered from $1,780 off to $2,000 off MSRP.
    Got a quote from a different dealer, and I just don't understand it. How can they be offerring this car at this price?

In part:

"My sale price to you regarding
    the magnetic gray, package 6 Prius with an MSRP of $27,884 and an invoice of
    $20,012 is $20,212 plus your taxes, tags and a $100 dealer processing fee.
    This price reflects $200 over cost and includes floor mats and a cargo mat for
    the rear. ."
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Looks like a typo...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Since I've got that in writing in an email, are they required to honor the price?
    Update: just called the dealership, and they confirmed that that is indeed their sale price for a 2008 Package 6 Prius. I still don't really believe it, but I'm going to drive up and get it.
    Fallabel:

That really sounds too good to be true! Let me know if you actually get the package #6 for that price and let me know the dealer as I am in Maryland as well.
    I just called that dealer back again (Bayside Toyota/Scion), and asked again about the price. He said that $20,212 is not correct, that it should have read $26,212. Summary:

Email said invoice was $20,012 and I could have it for $20,212. I called the salesman to confirm the price, and he said that was indeed the correct price. Not wanting to drive 45 minutes for a typo, I called again, read the price again, and he said, "Oh, no, that should have been $26,212."

Not sure if I want to deal with Bayside Toyota. Maybe it was a mistake, but it sounded to me like they just wanted to get me in the door.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    That invoice price doesn't sound right, I would have them fax that in writing signed by someone as that sounds like the base model and not with the option 6.
    Fallabel:

Thanks for the info! I'm sorry the dealer was incorrect or jerking you around, but I'm glad to know that I am not getting screwed on my price!

I have contacted 8 dealers in my area and I strongy feel that the drive away price of $27,585 on the MSRP of $27,803 is a good deal. This price reflects the offer of $25,700 on the car + title, tags and $100 process fee.
  • snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    tiff_c - Did your wife get the GPS? I wanted to recommend the TomTom ONE XL-S to you - I just started using it last weekend and it is awesome! I had no problems with the buttons and it has text to speech which was a huge help to me as I was traveling out of town and really had no idea where I was, so hearing the road names was a huge plus!
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    tiff_c - Did your wife get the GPS? I wanted to recommend the TomTom ONE XL-S to you - I just started using it last weekend and it is awesome! I had no problems with the buttons and it has text to speech which was a huge help to me as I was traveling out of town and really had no idea where I was, so hearing the road names was a huge plus!

Hi no we didn't get a unit yet. We tried out the Tom Tom as well as the Garmin Nuvi 660 and a few others but I wasn't very impressed with any of them. I think I will wait to see the new wide screen Garmin as well as the new Tom Tom, but in my area the units show you the long way to go and that's dissapointing. I'd imagine out of town they'd be great, but I'm so busy with work and when I do go out it's to other companies so I know where I'm going. map upgrades are $75 I've heard.
    Glad you enjoy your unit. I think next year we might get one but for now I think I'll wait and see what new maps they come out with.
    Thanks for the reccomendation :D
    We bought a Gray Package 6 Prius from Toyota of Southern Maryland today for $350 over invoice ($26,281 total). I was really happy with the buying experience there; they didn't try to push a lot of stupid add-on such as paint protection, extended warranties, etc. The salesman sat in the car me for probably 45 minutes showing me how to use everything in the car, and gave a great overview of the navigation system. Even set up my cell phone to be tied into the car via Bluetooth.

This was my first new car purchase, and I was very happy overall. I'd definitely shop there again.
    We bought a Gray Package 6 Prius from Toyota of Southern Maryland today for $350 over invoice ($26,281 total). I was really happy with the buying experience there; they didn't try to push a lot of stupid add-on such as paint protection, extended warranties, etc. The salesman sat in the car me for probably 45 minutes showing me how to use everything in the car,

The salesman we dealt with even tho we didn't buy the car, came close tho. spent all of 45 minutes showing us how everything worked for the test drive.
    Then we took several long test drives. We still bought a Honda but the Prius was very close. The non adjustable seat was the deal killer for the Prius, if it had better, more comfortable and adjustable seats we would have bought it. I see so many Prius around here now that you'd think it was the #1 car. I see more Prius than I do Civics! The dealer has a ton of them in stock.
    Glad you are happy with yours. :)
  • dmhulldmhull Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

ok so I'm looking at getting this car for my 16yr old daughter. 130,000 miles midnite blue..the dealer says they checked it out and it's good they will give 1,000 mile warranty. it's $8998.00 i'm in the pacific northwest....I'm not sure why but I find prius over here over priced. they want 20,000 for on 04...Yeah right,,,way ridiculas..I find the average asking price of 01-02 well over 14,000...The carfax say not salvage but there was an accident but of course it doesn't say what happened in the accident...I'm thinking I should offer less considering the accident...like 8000 help please

Is there a reason i shouldn't buy a prius at all or are they good cars?
    You can use the Edmunds appraisal calculator to get a gauge on how much the car should actually cost. I did this for a 2002 Prius, 130,000 miles, White, no additional options installed, and in my zip code in Maryland. It would of course be more accurate if you changed everything to represent the car you're looking at.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2002/toyota/prius/18967/options.html?tmvaction=vdpre- - sult

That calculator says that the Dealer Retail price is over $10,000. $9000 doesn't sound like a bad price.

Consumer Reports says that the 2002 model had some electrical system reliability issues, but overall they still give that model car (like every Prius model) a "Much better than average" rating-their highest.

Honestly though, I'd recommend getting a Toyota Echo or a Yaris. A 2008 Yaris starts at about $11,000. A 2005 Echo (the last year the model was made) could probably be yours for around $7000. Echo gets an CR-estimated 38 mpg, which is very close to the 41 mpg that you'll get with a 2002 Prius. For comparison's sake, a 2002 Echo will run about $5000.

My wife's car is a 2002 Echo, and she loves it. It's small, so it's easy to drive and to park. It gets great gas mileage, and the acceleration is sufficient for the type of driving she does. There's a ton of interior room for a small car; the headroom is especially good. Reliability is predicted to be excellent for the Echo as well.

From my point of view, they'd both make great used cars. However, you're paying for the Hybrid system in the Prius when it doesn't really buy you a lot of extra gas mileage in the 2002 version.
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    I own a 2008 Prius - and I have a daughter this is not much past 16. At 130K miles, this car would scare me off - trust me, the last thing you want it to start getting phone calls from her... "my car is not running right"... and the 1K warranty is a JOKE! If you must have this car, tell them you want a 10K mile warranty. I think the Yaris advise is solid. However, the cars are not made to have an accident - very light cars with 'tin can' bodies. (I know the Prius is, not sure about the Yaris). There is a good chance your daughter will get in some sort of an accident - perhaps not her fault, but 'something' will happen. At that time, a more solid car may be a better choice. (at least that was my thinking with my daughter not so long ago).

sc
  • t_ht_h Member Posts: 2
    Initial quotes from dealers range from $250 to $1500 over invoice on a Prius Touring PKG #6. With some persistence most quotes came down to $100 to $500 over invoice. I ended up paying $300 over invoice at the local dealer that I felt was the most honest and ethical, and who offered a respectful buying experience.
    I just purchased my 2008 Prius with PKG #6 for $200 under factory invoice or $2,100 under MSRP. Out of 8 dealers I contacted by email (Maryland suburbs of DC), I found two that came down to this same price. Some dealers were a few hundred over factory invoice and some wouldn't come close to this price, so it really does vary by dealer.
    i agree that 1y is a joke....and the accident thing is true...and why I wanted my daughter to take my 2002 lexus or my 2002 525bmw...She is insistant on wanting a car that gets the millage. I know this car is under nada & kelly....But i was hoping that i would not hear the phone call reason as a reason not to get...Cause that is exactly why I'm willing to buy her an upper end car...

and for those who think you'd give your kid your lexus or bmw...yes I would cause that means I get a newer one...wink..wink

I looked at the yaris and echo and they are over priced and over 10,000...gotta love the pacific northwest
    A piece of advice that you're probably not looking for: the Lexus and the BMW are fast cars; there's something to be said for not giving one of those to a teenager. It's probably not as much of an issue with a female as with a male, but it's something to consider.

My first car was a 1995 Lexus ES300. I consider myself to have been very responsible, as teenagers go (top of my class, no drugs, no alcohol and all that). But I drove that car as fast as it would go on multiple occasions. I stopped doing that after I got a really big speeding ticket. Thankfully I never got into an accident.

Point is: chances of an a accident (or dangerous driving in general) go up with cars that can easily drive fast.
    Hi all,

Well I was able to negoiate a great deal got them down another 900 bucks!!!!! $8088!!!! It's the midnight blue my daughter is happy I think it will be a great first car!
  • snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    tiff_c - Sure, I am so pleased with it and wanted to share with you just in case you were still looking to buy soon. Who knows what will be out later this year, the new TomTom units I have seen introduced over the past year have newer technologies and features! Good Luck!
  • kns42kns42 Member Posts: 2
    I am attempting to get a package #2 Prius but I feel like I have no negotiating room since there aren't very many of them made. The best quote I've gotten so far is 22.9 and they won't come down because it's their last #2. Has anyone been more successful getting one of these?
    For comparison purposes, I like Southern to mid VA.
    I am attempting to get a package #2 Prius but I feel like I have no negotiating room since there aren't very many of them made. The best quote I've gotten so far is 22.9 and they won't come down because it's their last #2. Has anyone been more successful getting one of these?
    For comparison purposes, I like Southern to mid VA.

The dealers up here in New Hampshire sure have a lot of Prius. You see these cars all over the place and the dealers have mostly the #2 package. I didn't hammer out a final price with them because of the seat. But I'd imagine you could do well since they have a lot of inventory and the dealers are hungry right now. New cars sales are very dead.
  • venturionventurion Member Posts: 3
    I thought about buying a base Prius (package 1?) this weekend. Does anyone know if they are still available in the DC area? I tried searching a few online dealer inventories to no avail. Thanks for any insight and apologies if this turns out to be a newb question.
  • jchill01jchill01 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a white 08' Prius package #5 w/ preferred accessories package as well for $24,126 + $660 destination + $98 documentation fee+ Tax/tag/title. I also was able to get the employee price on a 6 year 100,000 miles Platinum extended warranty ( i paid $875, MSRP $1750) and a 4 year 55,000 mile full service contract for ( I Paid $825, regularly $1,550 ) from a Waldorf MD toyota Dealership. I feel like i recieved a really good deal, does anyone agree with me, or am I crazy?
  • maloneysmaloneys Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy a Prius Package #5 in the Minneapolis/St Paul area this week. Does anyone know if it is possible to get one near the invoice price? Thanks.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Being patient is worth the wait. Back in '07 I shopped around in NW Indiana for a base model "04 Prius and after about two weeks Lakeshore Toyota in Burns Harbor, IND took my deposit on a base model w/ only side airbags and rear wiper that was coming soon. 3 months later it came in. Delivered out the door price was $22,365.00 tax & all. Yep...no disc. but then again...WORTH IT!! everyday. Sure I'd like to have the "smart key" but knowing I have a trouble free car that gets 46-48 mpg's and is still worth $17-$18 K makes it all worth it. I think the 2nd Generation Prius is one of the best cars to come along in yrs. When was the last time you ever saw a 4 yr old car lose a mere 4 grand in value on the average?
  • tamaritamari Member Posts: 7
    Rockville 1: Sounds like you got a great deal! I am looking for a 2008, package #6. What was your out-the-door total cost?

Thanks!!
    Okay, so I stepped up to 2008 Prius package #2. I'm in Northern Virginia with 4% sales tax and about $103 for tags. I negotiated $23,150 out the door (incl. T/T). I haven't bought yet. Sound good?
  • kns42kns42 Member Posts: 2
    I just negotiated one in mid-southern VA for 23,300 out the door. I think there are better prices out there, but my negotiating skills leave room for improvement.
  • prism3prism3 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2008 prius package #2 yesterday in Coeur D Alene, ID for 22,600
    plus sales tax and $98 doc fee.
  • prelecprelec Member Posts: 15
    I bought a new red pkg #5 for $24,500 yesterday. There was an ad from Maita Toyota for $23,988. I called and they said they had a silver and a white - msrp $26,464. The white was ok, but it had 67 mi and had been on the lot since Dec. I called the internet dept at Folsom Lake Toyota and asked if they could match. They said red or green which I preferred msrp of $26,750(wheel locks and floor mats) - selling price $24,500. They were a little slow getting me through finance, but there was no hammering for extras. A very pleasant experience. Do you think I got a good deal?
  • maloneysmaloneys Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Package #6 Silver Pine with grey leather interior at Rudy Luther in MPLS this weekend. Their internet price was the best of three in the area at $26, 236 which included a set of all weather mats worth $91and a $200 gift certificate at Best Buy. Many thanks to this site for so much advice in the past week.
    Bought in Northern Virginia. $22,466 OTD including 4% sales tax, title/tags, and $400 recent graduate rebate. Thanks all.
  • sleong23sleong23 Member Posts: 4
    I brought a prius 08 Mag Gray pkg #5 for $24,200 + tax + title fees at Fremont, CA. I also purchased 7 years warranty and maintainance service for 4 years = about $2,700+tax.

I thinks this is good deal.
  • pinkskimpinkskim Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a black 2008 with Package #2 for $21,900 (including destination). Tax and title and all that was additional. I purchased it at Westchester Toyota in Yonkers, NY. It helped that I had the new car buying kit from consumer reports (~$14). That printout listed invoice prices and "bottom-line" prices and the saleman brought down the price faster after I showed it to him. I think I got a good price, but the customer service at Westchester Toyota is the worst I have ever experienced. I had to go to the dealership about 5 times before I was able to bring my car home (they had a million excuses for why the car wasn't ready) and it came with almost 300 miles already on it.
  • catringoscatringos Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I can't seem to get a 2008 Package 2 Prius for less than $23k (including destination). This comes out to $25k out the door at an 8.25% tax rate.

Here's where I'm having difficulty:
    Apparently Gulf States Toyota charges all of the dealers in TX $700 for the Toyota Marketing Fund in the invoice. I noticed in the small print that "the invoice does not reflect the dealer's ultimate vehicle cost in view of" almost $700 in reserves "which are returned to dealer...", but of course when I mentioned this, I didn't get anywhere.

According to what I've read in this discussion, I probably shouldn't pay more than $22k (or $23.5k otd), but I'm not even getting close. Does anyone have any experience in or advice for buying a Prius in Austin, TX?
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    2008 package #2 with mats, $21,909 + tax dmv doc, from Concord, CA, which is in the San Francisco Bay Area.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Actually the tax rate in Tx is 6.25%, you might want to check with North Park Toyota of Boerne, I've heard some good things about them on other forums.
  • temsleytemsley Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2008 Prius with Package #2 and some accssories (floor mats, lug bolts, cargo net, rear bumper protector) for $20,500 plus my trade-in and plus tax on the Saturday of President’s Day weekend in RI.

It was hard to come up with a value for my trade in. The Edmonds site and Kelly blue book were fairly far off from each other. It was a 1999 Acura 3.2TL with 178K miles and needing some work (left signal broken, scrapes in bumper, check engine light is on, worn leather.) I judged that the car would be rated “average” for Edmonds for a trade in value of $1,802. On Kelly Blue book website it was categorized as Fair for $2,795. This averages to be $2,300 as a trade in value.

Taking into account the additional $235 for accessories and a trade in value of $2,300, I paid $475 less than TMV and $1,145 less than MSRP and $700 more than Invoice price.
  • dgeblerdgebler Member Posts: 19
    I just purchased in Wellesley, MA a 2008 Std Prius with Package 5 and dealer installed leather seats for $25,000.
  • baron64baron64 Member Posts: 41
    Dealer installed leather seats?? I didn't know they could do that. Are they front and back seats? How much were they? Are they heated? Thanks!
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    So in general how close to invoice should I be looking on an '08 Prius? As I read all the posts I feel there is no easy guide to pricing as most cars seem to have (i.e. $500 over invoice.). Any general feedback?

Also, how much does it cost for an HOV sticker here in Cali? Do I buy that from the dealer or from DMV?
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    In the northern CA, around invoice price to $300 under invoice, with "free" floor mats. HOV stickers are no longer available.
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    Thanks. Will there be more HOV stickers in Cali or is that it? Frankly that was a big reason I was considering the car.
    The dealers can install leather seats. The seats are not perforated as the factory is. The can also install heaters. The wanted $1100 for the seats (front and back) and $450 for heated front seats (driver and passenger)
    The Consumer Reports Buyers Guide indicates that Toyota gives the dealers a $467 hold-back. So you should assume that they will make a profit if they sell at Dealer invoice. My dealer didn;t blink at accepting $500 over invoice so I know there was a little money left on the table.
This discussion has been closed.