Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hybridfan123hybridfan123 Member Posts: 2
    Started pricing a touring edition with pkg#6 and floor mats today at a local dealership in western burbs of Chicago. Dealer has about 36 Prius in stock (about 6 touring). The one we liked was at:

MSRP: $27,964

Dealer's best offer OTD: $27,842

$25,750 base
    $225 plates etc
    $1867 7.25% tax

Would like to know if it is a good deal. Thanks.
  • hybridfan123hybridfan123 Member Posts: 2
    The OTD price I was quoted included $500 discount. Forgot to mention that in my previous post.
  • evadooevadoo Member Posts: 40
    If you shop around to several dealerships that have 20+ Prius in stock, you will get a great deal. I am still amazed at the price I got ($21,150 for package 2) but it costs the dealerships money to keep these cars in their inventory and they need to clear them out before the 2010s come in. Essentially, the market changed so much (gas prices, economy, credit crunch) that there is a surplus. Check which dealerships have the exact car you want and then send an email to those dealerships naming your price and package. I did this and ended up having two dealerships in a bidding war and picked the nice guys who I loved doing business with... and now I have a gorgeous Prius is sitting in my driveway for about 4K less than I would have paid last year. OH – and the 7 yr/100K warranty they offer you... I got that for $850.
  • sacramento2sacramento2 Member Posts: 18
    Hey thanks for your help victorias1 but I'm not in a hurry to get a "car".

I've been emailing with the dealers on Honda Civic LX, Honda Civic Hybrid and Toyota Prius. So far Toyota dealers are not flexible as the Honda dealers. For both Hondas, I have been able to drive down quite below the Edmunds TMV invoice prices. I'm still waiting for Prius' to go way below what was offered in February ($2,000 rebates). I'm sure they'll start lowering the prices "significantly" when the 2010 is out on the show room.
  • pragmatist1pragmatist1 Member Posts: 26
    We're planning on buying one with a package 2 this weekend. I emailed the six or so dealers within about 20 miles of us. So far the lowest we've heard is about 22,000, but they also want to tack on prep fees, doc fees, etc.. When you say 21,150 out the door, what other fees did you have to pay? We're lucky here in CT - there's no sales tax on cars getting >40 mpg.
    We also have no sales tax in NH. This is the email that I sent that led to the bidding war:
    I have been researching Prius pricing and the following prices appear to be in effect for the Prius + Pkg 2:
    Base Invoice 21,758
    Dest 720
    Pkg-2 158
    Cash back -$1000
    Invoice Prius Base with Pkg 2 – cash back = $21,636
    Since the invoice does not reflect the actual dealer cost (due to holdbacks, wholesale financial reserve etc.) some online customers have reported paying $21,500 plus title/registration for the 2009 Prius with package #2. No additional fees such as TDA or Doc fees were charged, so $21,500 would be below invoice.
    We have financing and no trade-in. We would like to purchase a 2009 Silver Pine Mica with package 2 for $21,500 plus title/registration by the end of the month. Please contact me if you can honor this price. Thank you!

This led to 2 dealers bidding for my business and going lower than the price I had requested. No additional fees were tacked on. You might check with Prime Toyota in Boston http://primetoyotacars.com/Default.aspx since I got my deal from Prime in Maine. Even though I live in NH, they are accustomed to out of state customers. Note that I also ended up financing through Toyota (at their request), so they made money on that too (but I got 4.29% which was the best I could find) AND they had the exact car on the lot. Although there were no additional fees, at the time of signing we opted for the Platinum warranty for $850/$0 deductible (~$1700 list price) and my husband REALLY wanted the ResistAll package ($495) which I should have dickered on but didn’t… I consider it insurance to keep the car pristine for resale some day. The deal would have gone through at $21,150 without these extras. Good luck!
  • dkblairdkblair Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen a really good price on a Package 2 Prius like this in Florida?

If so, would you mind passing on some dealer contact info to me?

Hoping to buy in the next week, but not finding pricing like this in Florida.

Thanks
  • ididit2003ididit2003 Member Posts: 1
    anybody get Prius deal done recently in twin cities area(MN)? I'm in a market right now. thinking whether I should wait until May when new Prius model comes out. will Toyota lower the price for old model?
  • stoneycreekstoneycreek Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a prius at Darcars toyota at silver spring, md yesterday (March 28, 2009): Silver Pine color, base model with package 2 plus something already installed by dealer - rear bumper applique and a free universal car mat set for a out of door price at $22526 (including 6% md sales taxes plus tag/fees etc - the price was listed as $20870, with the window listed price to be $24339). There were many colors available for us to choose (we also tested a blue one; saw silver, gray, etc).

I also saw a coupon you could print at the dealer web site for additional $600 off, but I forgot about it totally when I went there yesterday (I started looking on friday and bought it on saturday morning). When I checked my email this morning (Sunday 29th) I saw the email I received from their internet sales manager stated that I could use the $600 off coupon in addition to the price of $22,526.00 I had negotiated over the phone).

Anyway, even for the out of door price of $22,526.00, it seems quite a bit lower than the price your guys had in this discussion and the experience was quite good, not hassle, straight ahead with the already negotiated best price offer price - I did not need to discuss any new price when I got there. Also from the email I received, it seems I could have obtained another $600 off using the dealer's web site coupon.

One note: I did tell them that I need no finance etc and would pay in full when asked for oral price quote, and I did follow through.
  • rxanandrxanand Member Posts: 33
    I am in roughly the same state. In my case, after reading the description of the new model on the web, I have decide to wait for it. It appears that the new model will be in the showrooms by May.
  • tferrier1tferrier1 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I am considering buying a used Prius from a small independent car dealership specifically this one:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&car_id=258970864&dealer_id- =57112296&car_year=2003&dealership_view_name=www.autoplexva.com&result_car_id=nu- ll&first_record=51&sort_type=make_modelASC&address=&pager.offset=50&cardist=5555-

Are there some common things I can ask/observe to see if the car is worth buying? I am new to hybrids and as I can see from this forum some of the issues aren't the same as gasoline powered cars. The one thing I am worried about is if the battery is dead or something really expensive. Would anybody else buy this car for that price?

-
    Thanks
    Tygue
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    A pastor friend is moving to Maui to assume a pastorate. He has a 5 year lease with Toyota. He was informed he cannot take his car to Hawaii on the lease. He cannot afford to finance as he would have to come up with $8k cash. If he stores it the battery will be destroyed after 2 years not running. Any suggestions other than leaving in a bad part of town with the fob on the seat. I already suggested that.
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    package #2 for $20879? That is $3500 below MSRP? That's very good price.
    I think some dealers are desperate to move their inventory. I got a package #2 2 weeks ago for $20150 and another dealer offered to go down to $20050 but I didn't care for the pressure they were giving me, so I opted for the "good guys".
  • taxlawyertaxlawyer Member Posts: 29
    Can I ask where you got your prius? (what dealer and city) Did the 20150 include destination and floor mats?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.
    I got it at Prime Toyota in Saco Maine and yes it included destination and floor mats (all weather). The IRA dealer in Manchester, NH was going to go $100 lower even but I liked the Saco dealership a lot.
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    Just thinking about internet quotes reminds me of the dealership that advertises as no haggle pricing. I bought my first car using the web in 2001. I've purchased a total of three vehicles since then using the same formula as most of you. In all cases I felt in control and pleased with the results. After spending the weekend researching vehicles (Insight,09 Prius,10Prius) I'm starting to question this practice. This is why.

In August 08, I purchased a Honda Accord for the Mrs. I did my research, narrowed our search to two vehicles, then test drove each car. After I made my introduction with both dealers, I explained I was only looking to test drive the car and not to negotiate a price. I told them I'd get back in touch if I was interested.

Long story short. The Toyota salesperson was talking real numbers and wanted to sell a car. The Honda salesperson said he could not quote prices. Instead, he walked me into the Internet Managers office and he gave me a printout of the good faith estimate. I was told the internet price was firm. I spent a couple day's trying to work a better deal (through the internet) to no avail.

This weekend I visited two different Honda and Toyota dealerships to test the Insight and 09 Prius. I went to the front desk, asked for the Internet Sales Manager. The receptionist told me the line was busy and said he would check the office to see if he was there. I followed him back to a large open room filled with eight computer stations. There were five people manning the stations. When I ask which one was the Manager, I was told this guy, but you could talk to the first available person.

I introduce myself and ask for a quote and test drive. The IM gives me the quote, then passes me off to the salesperson. After the test drive the sales guy asks for my name and number. I told him I was dealing with the IM and he said they split the commission and that he needed my name to keep it straight.

I smell a skunk in the woodpile! I'm starting to think I would do much better to do my research, decide my price and present them with my take it or leave it offer in person. Sure they will tell me to take a hike but, they will contact me later on with the real lowest price available. It just seems to convenient to say the internet price is the lowest price period. I've read these forums for a long time and it seems that everyone is happy to get the same quote as the next guy. I used to be that guy.

Sorry to ramble on so much. I'm just looking for the best way to buy a car today. The web is the only place to research comps, dealership are the place to test drive the car and the sales manager is the only person that can mark the price down.

Once we get the lowest internet quote we are led to believe this is the rock bottom price and since the IM always acts laid back we fall into his/her trap and are led to believe this person has input on the bottom line.
    My tried and true strategy is to state exactly what you are willing to pay and do all the negotiations via email and phone. Don't step into a dealership until they have faxed you the paperwork with the final price (itemized). Only after you have a solid price and the paperwork faxed to you do you go to the dealership to sign the final paperwork and drive away. See Message #1852 for the email I sent to 5 dealers.
    Evadoo,

I understand and concur with your strategy. I've used the same method for past purchases. Yes, it may sound stupid to go into a dealer to negotiate a price. I'm just looking for an edge to take advantage of the excess inventory and I am not seeing the big discounts that I believe should be out there.

I am not suggesting for people to skip internet quotes and negotiations. I'm just trying to rationalize it and see what people think. Maybe I'm in left field but I think prices need to drop much lower.

After seeing all the inventory of sought after vehicles (honda, toyota) it's not hard to figure out that something has to give. And my guess is prices will come down as the 2010 Prius start to hit the street. The 09 Prius should be discounted 4-5 K right now to make room for the 2010 model. With the Insight hitting the market one week ago, the competition is heating up. The day of paying 5000 extra for a hybrid are almost over.
    I contacted both dealers you had obtained your pricing from - Saco and the IRA one. Neither one was willing to come anywhere close to the prices you had posted (20,150 - etc.).

Maybe you were successful in getting the dealerships to offer those kinds of numbers.

But I wasn't. They two had offerred 21,650 and 22,200 to me, respectively.

Did you finance through the dealership at a high rate? Were there added costs, doc fees? There must be a catch.
    OH man... I am so sorry - typo. $21,150 OTD. Make sure they have the car you want in stock and also make sure you go through the internet sales group.
    But still....21,150 OTD means Out the door with all costs included, like sales tax, tags, any doc fees, destination, etc. etc.

That would put the purchase price at UNDER 20k in most states (based on local sales tax rates) for a package 2 prius? How did you get that price?

If I can ask....what was your price after everything (all fees) but BEFORE the sales tax was added? (This clarifies the final number.)

Thanks.
    See this post:
    Message #1852 Re: honda insight / prius pricing [pragmatist1] by evadoo Mar 26, 2009 (7:25 am)

I think it answers all your questions. If not, let me know. :)
  • esloanesloan Member Posts: 1
    We drove home tonight in a new 2009 Prius package #2.
    I was surprised to find it came with a 6 cd changer, backup color camera, as well as a few other goodies that I really didn't expect. Although not anywhere near broken in, it still got 58 mpg. on regular gas, a distance of about 10 miles.
    The total out the door price was $23,000.00 at King Toyota, in Deerfield Beach, Florida, and that included everything. When we originally called they said they only had white, or gold in stock. Once there it appears they have a lot more. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get a similar deal. This is the first real departure in the type of car we bought in the past, and I'm more than a little excited.
  • galileo5galileo5 Member Posts: 10
    I, too, was told by one dealership that Internet prices are firm, but I don't buy it.

Another dealership quoted me $19,688 via email on an Insight, but that was the week when that model went on sale. I was in no hurry to purchase, and still haven't bought one. Now this dealership is saying he can "rework" the original quote. This was from a guy that had a very easy-going personality when I went for a test-drive; but looking back, he was very deceptive. Those are the ones you want to avoid, unless you know what you're getting into.

Once they quote you an amount via email, there is no rule that states you can't go into the dealership to haggle for an even-lower price.

Maybe they didn't budge much with their quote b/c it was a brand new model.

Daniel
  • cynical_1cynical_1 Member Posts: 1
    We just brought home an 09 package #5 in San Diego OTD for $26360. Dealer quoted a price over the phone of $23,923 + tax and registration. We first went to a dealer we'd dealt with in the past (Mossy Toyota) to give them a chance to beat/match it since we'd liked the service received there before.

Turns out that was a mistake and the experience wasn't nearly as nice. I was very straight-forward with them and told them if they could beat $23,900 we'd immediately give them a check. When they couldn't we thanked them for their time. The look of disbelief and dejection on their face was surprising. They immediately went into "sales" mode and "warned" us the other dealer (Poway Toyota) would absolutely be tacking on little fees here and there and would ultimately be asking more which couldn't have been further from the truth.

We left Mossy enroute to Poway and within an hour and a half we'd completed the paperwork and were driving home in our freshly detailed car. The price quoted over the phone was the same price offered this afternoon, and the guy I spoke with last night wasn't even there. The entire team at Poway seemed to be involved but were in NO way overbearing, just very friendly and happy to give us a great deal. Each dealer will receive a letter, but for very opposite reasons.
  • etpetp Member Posts: 155
    Just bought my 2009 touring pack 6 out the door for $28383.
    I told them i had a cheaper deal at another dealer and would they meet me half way since they are local. Paid a whole $677 more from a dealer close buy who gives free transportation to their customers. It is a buyers market until summer. Get it now folks.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    $677 would have paid for many days of rental cars.
    Do you think free transportation from the local dealer will pay back the extra $677?
    Most dealers will provide a shuttle drop off service if you service through them even if you bought from somewhere else anyway.
    Daniel - I didn't go the dealership until I had the purchase order paperwork faxed to me. Only after I got it faxed and reviewed the final paperwork did I drive to the dealership to purchase it. I wouldn't trust a price quoted in email without the backing paperwork.
  • prc2prc2 Member Posts: 16
    Please excuse if this post has been covered; I cannot find a response. The lease is up on my 2006 Audi in June, and I am toying with the idea of buying a 2009 Prius. I expect deep discounting when the 2010 model comes out, so I want to get ready to jump.

Does anybody know when this may happen? What kind of discounts (if any) should be expected?
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Please excuse if this post has been covered; I cannot find a response. The lease is up on my 2006 Audi in June, and I am toying with the idea of buying a 2009 Prius. I expect deep discounting when the 2010 model comes out, so I want to get ready to jump.
    Does anybody know when this may happen? What kind of discounts (if any) should be expected?

I can only tell you that in my area (New Hampshire) the dealers are practically giving the Prius away. I could probably buy the car below invoice, which was what the dealer was hinting at. But I am going for the 2010 Prius. Drove a MINI Cooper S today that my wife was interested in and I was fairly unimpressed when the cost and dealer issues were factored in (RFT's, no spare tire, almost 80 miles through traffic to the dealer, etc...)
    From what I see up here this is the best time to buy a 2009 Prius. I'll be going down next week to hammer out a deal on a 2010 Prius and put down a cash deposit. I hope they come in soon, I need a car ASAP.
    The 2010s seem nice, but for me, this will be a commuter car (I'm in Los Angeles), so I'm looking for a good deal (also, my employer subsidizes a Prius purchase, so that's a bonus). When do you expect your 2010 to arrive?
    PRC2

I'm hearing April 22 is when the 2010 Prius will hit the showrooms. I think now is a great time to throw an offer on the 2009 model if that is your choice.

The way I see it, the 2010 will be roughly 1500.00 over previous models. I also expect the dealers to add 1500-2500 on top of the MSRP to extract full price from each sale. They want you to negotiate starting from an inflated sticker price down to the actual MSRP. I would never talk to a dealer that tries this BS.

The bottom line is you will pay very close to MSRP for the 2010. I don't expect to see or hear about discounts early on. As for the 09 Prius, I think you would be foolish to pay more than 2000.00 under invoice.

I think the 2010 will be a much improved vehicle over the 09 so the price should reflect that when it comes to negotiation. If you are interested in the 2010 wait. If it's the 09 figure your bottom line and make an offer now.
    Thanks for your response, rbk3. Well written and answers my questions 100%.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi gagrice. That's a tough situation. Has your friend tried to find someone to assume his lease? Banks often allow lessees to transfer their leases to another interested party.

The trick will be finding someone who is willing to assume a five year lease on a Prius. I always advise consumers against leasing for that long. Your friend may find that he has to kick in some extra money out of his own pocket to make his deal attractive enough for someone to be willing to assume it. Sites like swapalease or even Craig's List work well for this sort of transaction.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    I'm hearing April 22 is when the 2010 Prius will hit the showrooms. I think now is a great time to throw an offer on the 2009 model if that is your choice.

I'm really hoping the 2010 Prius comes out April 22nd. I agree that you will pay full MSRP for it. The Toyota dealer up here will not budge on MSRP and have already told me that it's going to be full sticker price. I need the car so I'll probably have no negotiating power, but I've driven a lot of cars and so far none interest me enough. The 2009 Prius is pretty much the same as the 2007's and for my area not enough power for the hills in the winter. Bladder fuel tank is a BIG issue here as well.
    If April 22nd that will probably be California. Our area will likely be a month later. :sick:
    If I wanted a 09 Prius I think $2K under Invoice would be a very good and doable deal. Sad thing is the loss the dealers make there they will make up on the 2009's.
    My biggest concern with the 2010's is how they will over option the cars. Waterproof glass, lane change gadget, etc...

Oh and for the record, I want to see how the anti- lane change gadget works on snow covered roads. :D
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I will let him know your response. Thank you, He needs to do something soon. I think he is headed to Hawaii the 1st of June.
  • rxanandrxanand Member Posts: 33
    I just spoke to the people at the Toyota booth at the New York auto show and they said that it would be next month. However, some dealers (especially in the east) may receive their allotments even later. Toyota of Hackensack (New Jersey) told me they would be getting their first 2010 Prius only in June.
  • dogsonboarddogsonboard Member Posts: 23
    Bladder fuel tank is a BIG issue here as well.
    Can someone summarize the issue? I'm clueless.

Thanks.
  • godigigodigi Member Posts: 3
    2009 Prius package 2. Bought on 04/11/2009 for $22,000 OTD. No sales tax here.
  • spidey126spidey126 Member Posts: 9
    Hey, I really need to thank everyone who has shared something or another on this forum. I intensively research this forum and did massive negotiating with about a dozen dealerships in the area. A special thank to evadoo. I used that e-mail format and sent it out to a bunch of dealerships in the PA area. Finally got a deal for a Spectra 09 pkg 2 for $21432 plus tax and title/registration. Now my area is throwing a 0% financing special and if you opt for that, you lose the 1K rebate. I decided to go for the 0% financing for 36months, so my deal came to $22432 plus tax and title/registration. PA is giving a $500 rebate after purchase before end of year, so if factoring that in, then the price would be $21868. I put in a deposit and plan to finalize deal later this months. THanks again for all the help. :)
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're welcome, gagrice. Sorry that I don't have an easier solution.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    I just spoke to the people at the Toyota booth at the New York auto show and they said that it would be next month. However, some dealers (especially in the east) may receive their allotments even later. Toyota of Hackensack (New Jersey) told me they would be getting their first 2010 Prius only in June.

Thanks I figured it would be a May release but as I'm on the East Coast I just know we will get it a month later. :(
    Be nice if it was released on April 22nd tho.
    I don't trust dealer time lines. They are always wrong. I remember the 6 month waiting list on the Prius. Demand dropped and it was like 2 months. I'm hoping before June or I will have to buy something else.
    California gets everything first, small wonder they are so arrogant there.
    I'd like to see cars released on the East Coast first, but we all know that will never happen.
    Bladder fuel tank is a BIG issue here as well.
    Can someone summarize the issue? I'm clueless.

Basically the Bladder fuel tank changes in size depending on the temperature. If you over fill it it can squirt the gas back out of the filler.
    The problem up where I live is the winter temps get very very cold at times and the tank will only take 3-4 gallons. Other times it will take 9+ gallons. So you never know how much gas is really in the tank. It's really only an issue when it's very cold, but we get a lot of days that are below zero and for days or weeks at a time.
    If you live in a warmer part of the country it shouldn't be an issue.
    Here we know it is a problem since you can't throw a rock without hitting 3 or 4 Prius'. Our neighbors just deal with it. The local dealers don't acknowledge it as a problem. There is no fix for it, it's a design issue.
    The 2010 Prius eliminates the bladder fuel tank :shades:
    I just got off the phone with a dealer in NOR-CAL and I was told the release date for the 2010 Prius is delayed until Nov 09. I don't believe this for a second. I'm sure this is their (Dublin Toyota) tactic to unload the 09 model at the highest profit margin. I have not been able to contact my "go to guy" that informed me they were coming in April 22.

Please post if anyone has heard the same.

Additionally, I never gave due credit to evadoo for her purchase. You did a fantastic job and secured the best deal to date. Well done.
    My guy just called and told me August for the 2010. The skunk in the woodpile is back.
    My guy just called and told me August for the 2010. The skunk in the woodpile is back.

This is why you can't trust the dealers. They want to sell the 2009's and they can't do that if the 2010 is due out soon.
    Toyota will say nothing until the car is announced officially.
    My guess is sometime in May, but I'd love to see an April 22nd release date. If it doesn't come out in May I am looking for a different car as I cannot wait past May and I will not buy a 2009 Prius and the Insight is too cramped in the back so it is essentially a 2 seater and I might as well buy a Mini if that's the case.
    Toyota has a firm sale with me if the car is released in a reasonable time.
  • loanthonyloanthony Member Posts: 5
    Hi to all on this board. I'm considering purchasing a new '09 Prius with Package #2. Any suggestions on target pricing? I saw one post with someone paying $22,000 OTD. Is that a good target or should I aim lower?

FYI - I live in the Seattle area and these vehicles are still pretty popular even with the new one coming out. Also, in the State of Washington a Prius is exempt from sales tax so that will be a nice but of savings right there...

Thanks for any feedback.
  • mensrea50mensrea50 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, new to prius from volvo, looking at 2007 prius package 2 one owner 18,500 miles for 18,900 asking private seller. What is going rate??
    Thx
    Lori
  • dmkayedmkaye Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in leasing a Prius -Package #6 for 36 months, 12k /yr.
    I live in Northern New Jersey

Anyone have any recent leasing quotes you would like to share?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.