Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• guestguest Member Posts: 770
    This is the inevitable result in an area where large segments of the population have more money than brains. Unfortunately, for each person smart enough to walk out of these dealerships, there is another fool in line waiting to be taken for a ride. Unless the dealership business practices have degenerated into the flat out illegal, manufacturers seem ill disposed to intervene. I had precisely the same experience and dealt with it by buying the vehicle west of Sacramento and was treated respectfully and fairly.
  • hotflashyhotflashy Member Posts: 6
    I agree. I've decided to give my money to Walnut Creek Toyota, because they are the only ones who were honest with me. I had three separate shady experiences with Dublin Toyota and will not deal with them (even for maintenance).
  • hotflashyhotflashy Member Posts: 6
    Did you test drive both the regular and the touring models? How much different is the ride on the touring model? It's hard to find any to test drive, let alone both on the same day! Thanks.
  • ros7ros7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Lynsam,
    I saw your messages of unhappy ownership and jumped at the chance of your selling the car. Let me know if you want to at my yahoo address of ros040. thanks a lot.
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    I bought both Honda and Toyota just this past year (both new), and I found Honda dealers to be equally shady when it comes to hot cars, like HCH and Civic Si. All dealers, not juts Toyota/Honda, are shady when it comes to hot cars. Best to get a hand full of quotes online before going to any dealers (to test drive). That is your only leverage on a hot car.

I think you should be able to get some discounts on Prius now with gas being cheap, and tax credit halved. The dealers are still sleazy/shady, but maybe not as arrogant as before.

As for Touring vs. Base, I too was trying to decide, before Sept. 30. I ended up buying a base, because it was cheaper, plus some NoCal sales person told me that touring is a less comfy ride on highway and surface streets (make sense because bigger wheels/tires usually do not absorb bumps/expansion joints too well). So far so good. it's a great ride on SoCal freeways and surface streets.

A lot of people bad mouth about Prius' wobbly steering at highway speed. I have not sensed any of that on my 07, not sure if it's because Toyota replaced tires (my 07 comes with Goodyear Integra's), strengthend the body, or just people bad mouthing hybrids. Best to test drive (or rent one) to form your own opinion.

At $2.60/gallon gas, I still feel great above my Prius. So I know I will be even happier next spring-summer. You will too. Good luck.
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Member Posts: 125
    "A lot of people bad mouth about Prius' wobbly steering at highway speed. I have not sensed any of that on my 07, not sure if it's because Toyota replaced tires (my 07 comes with Goodyear Integra's), strengthend the body, or just people bad mouthing hybrids. Best to test drive (or rent one) to form your own opinion. "

Anybody that tells you that the 06/07 Prius doesn't handle well is just giving you a lot of crap. I run that vehicle up and down the freeway at 80+ mph and it tracks straight as an arrow. I run it through twisty back roads and it hangs in there very nicely which should not be any surprise since it has a skid pad rating of .82 which until a few years ago was attainable only by very expensive sports cars.

IMO, the touring model is a total waste of money. And I wouldn't pay 10 cents extra for the leather option. Whoever convinced the public that leather was a suitable material for automobile seats must have owned one hell of a big cattle ranch.
  • priusman2007priusman2007 Member Posts: 4
    No wobbles here. We just bought our new 2007 a couple of days ago and have taken it both on freeways and city streets and it handles better than my SS Camaro. I drove a bunch of cars before buying the Prius: VW GTI, VW Passat, Nissan Versa, Hondas, etc., etc. and the Prius was just as smooth and sure footed as any of them. Granted it doesn't have a turbo to push you back into the seats, but it does accelerate so smoothly it's deceivingly fast. Plus you can laugh like a crazy person as you pass by all of those gas stations.
  • matsfmatsf Member Posts: 3
    Well, I did test drive the "regular" prius, but since I was aiming to beat the tax deadline, I jumped on the Touring without a comparison test drive. I tend to like a little firmer suspension, so I figured it would be ok. Comparable equipped the touring is not that much more expensive if I am not wrong (just a few $100). And I wanted that level of features anyway.

I like it, but without a test drive on the same day/time, it is hard to know how different it is.
    If you run across a friend with the plain vanilla model, I'd be interested in your findings regarding the comparison.
  • cistonecistone Member Posts: 1
    Hello all.

I am about to purchase an '07 Prius!!(My first Hybrid) I like the look of the touring model but the wheels are rims with hub caps over them???

Anyway - is there any reason I should pay the extra $$ for a touring? I do not plan on taking corners at high speed so the suspension is something I probably won't notice.

Any thoughts!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Only you can decide this. A good test drive, both on the highway and on a windy road should tell you which you prefer. Be aware the Prius does react to crosswinds so you may want to schedule your test drives to include wind, if possible. Also, you may want to check the tire pressures before you test drive, just to remove dealer incompetance from the picture.

You can remove the plastic covers from both the touring and the standard model. Some like the touring wheels sans covers (I do), lots do not. Most seem to like the standard wheels without the covers. Note that the touring wheels are 16" vs the standard size of 15".

The final deciding factor would be whether the package of options you want is available in the touring or standard model in your area.
  • quasiactuaryquasiactuary Member Posts: 50
    Has anyone tested the waters on negotiating with dealers since 9/30? I would think that with gas prices dropping and the reduction in the tax credit for a Prius dealers would be more willing to negotiate. Can anyone confirm or deny this? :confuse:
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    I was wondering the same thing. One of the local dealers now has two new 2006 Prius' on their lot. They're asking $6000 over MSRP, but the fact that they're still on the lot probably means that the hysteria is dying down a bit.

They also have three used ones on the lot. One, a first gen model.

I'll try to keep an eye on their inventory
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    They're asking $6000 over MSRP

That just boggles my mind. The sad part is there are people stupid enough to pay the price. These are not one of a kind collectors cars.
  • priusman2007priusman2007 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought our Prius on 10/7. At the time they only had one on the lot. Paid straight msrp, no ups or extra add-ons. Tried to get them to go under msrp but there was little room to negotiate as they had another customer interested in the same and only car. So, I was happy to pay msrp and get the overall package#5 that I wanted. Toyota of Lancaster, CA was great. Treated us very nice. :shades:
  • bakaronibakaroni Member Posts: 10
    In the SF area, there are a couple of dealers who are willing to go under MSRP (upto $500). I'm going to wait for a few more weeks and see if I can get $750 or $1000 under MSRP.
  • cobra9cobra9 Member Posts: 4
    We paid MSRP in the SF Bay area on 9/30.
    But this was on the last day of the full tax credit.
    On Craigslist you can see many dealers' internet dept listing at MSRP, and a few below. - And a lot more cars available.
    I would think below MSRP is possible and heard of one near sacramento at $750 below.
    I'm surfing South East Toyota's website right now, and came across a Prius for $36,000!

Fuel Surcharge $21
    Touring Edition-TVAT $0
    Package #5 Touring Includes: Voice--NMAT $4,455
    Self-Dimming Mirror w/Homelink-CM50 $259
    Interior Lights-IL10 $249
    * (If equipped with Center Console)
    * Center Console Light
    * Under Dash Lights, Cup Holder Lights

17" EFPC Wheel w/Pirelli Tires-WB70 $1,559
    Spyder Style Cargo Net-PC90 $69
    Leather Faced Seats w/Side Airbag-LA80 $1,398
    Splashguards-MG10 $79
    Window Tint-TW50 $267
    Carpet Mats And Trunk Mat-PV50 $209
    Carbon Fiber Appearance Dash-DF10 $299
    50 State Emissions-FEAT $0
    Ash Tray-AT10 $79
    Southeast Toyota Distributor-FP40 $0

* Certified Technician 46 Point
    * Final Quality Inspection

Rear bumper protector-BP30 $105
    Accent Stripe-SA10 $79
    Entertainment System-DVD-Headrest-EH30 $1,995

Summary of charges:
    Base $33,070
    Options $1,587
    Manuf. Delv, Proc & Hndlg $675
    Subtotal $35,332
    Documentation Fee $698.50
    Total $36,031
    The Southeast Toyota division appears to be almost a different company because their marketing strategies are different from the rest of CONUS. The $698.50 for documentation should be a clarion signal that ya'll are being scammed. But look on the bright side - they don't include a surcharge for inflating the tires!
    The "Doc Fee" is a favorite of many dealers - import AND domestic - here in Florida.

It's a total scam, as you say, but they still do it

SET is very different - they even put their own wheels, instead of Toyota's - when you buy upgraded "factory" wheels. Generally, they're Enkei, and they look pretty similar to the Toyota version.
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    Over the weekend some of LA dealers advertise having Prius (and TCH/THH) on lot. Longo Toyota, the largest Toyota dealer in the country, even said they have 147 Prius. So I think discounts can be had, without trying too hard.

Interestingly, with gas prices cheap for about a month now, even Honda hybrid prices have gone down. And they still have full tax credit. So I think the run up in hybrid supplies have more to do with recent gas price drop, less about tax credits.
    Where did you hear that the full tax credit was still available. The last thing I heard was that it was cut in half as of October 1.
    I believe they were talking about the full tax credit still being available on Hondas, NOT Toyotas (they were cut in half as of October 1 like you thought).
  • jonathansullivjonathansulliv Member Posts: 5
    Well actually 18.

Been watching the inventory for all dealers locally, and all of a sudden, saw a bunch of prius show up (06's at that). Wesley Chapel Toyota opened a week ago saturday, and made an awesome deal.

I had some difficulties getting a response via website, so I called. (And found out they are brand new...working out bugs).

Long story short, I was looking for a Pkg 8 (06) or Pkg 6 (07). They had 5 (06) Pkg 7 with Leather (Factory NOT Dealer) that is what I ended up selecting. I negotiated the price down to MSRP of an 07 Pkg 6 first, then negotiated an MSRP reduction off that. In the end they reduced $1900 total (not 1900 off MSRP).

If you are looking for a deal, give these guys a try.

Awesome Dealership - Sales guys are great. Sales Manager puts a little pressure on, but is still friendly, and respect you if you've done your homework.

As a side note: Found out that Toyota GUARANTEES that this dealer will have every make and model on the lot for the first 120 days of open. Also found out that whatever he sells during this time will determine his allocations for the next year. (Incentive to deal, AND Product to sell!)

2007 are rolling onto the lots too!

Good luck! Don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but mention me if you go in. I promised I would tell others about my experience.
    I guess there still are big regional differences in pricing. I just bought a 2007 Prius for my wife with package #5 in the D.C. area. The dealer immediately offered the car for $500 under MSRP. I pointed out that a different area dealer was advertising a "sale" on their website including $1,000 off MSRP for any new Prius. After a minimum of haggling they were willing to go to $1,400 under MSRP and waive their bogus $300 paperwork fee. I didn't count, but I would guess that they had something like 15 of the 2007's in stock and another few new 2006's.
  • ericbigwongericbigwong Member Posts: 7
    Just picked up my wife's new Prius yesterday in Sunnyvale, CA. The car was ordered almost 3 months ago. The orginaly order (2006 model with GPS) was quoted to be $350 off MSRP. The car delivered was a 2007 (standard, not touring) model had slightly higher base price (but now come with side airbags as standard). The dealer gave me $500 off MSRP instead of $350 without me asking for the additional discount. [BTW: Saw a number of hybrid Highlanders on the lot but no Prius (other than the demo).]
  • sibukisibuki Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you can be more specific on what MSRP means? I saw one dealer say $27679 plus fees. I want to know what the check I write will say....

MSRP, plus what fees?, plus 8.x% tax?

I want to make sure I don't do a rookie manuever and get a lot of stuff on top of a "good deal".

help is much appreciated!
    MSRP - manufacturers suggested retail price - the price you will find on the internet on the Toyota (in this case) website and on the sticker on the window. Not to be confused with "dealer cost" which is substatially lower. Prius is selling right now below MSRP, FINALLY! But not everywhere. Do not pay more than MSRP!

Fees -

"doc fee" - fee for filling out the documentation to register the vehicle, pay taxes etc. You can often negotiate this fee down, sometimes to zero. It's bogus anyway. "Wait, you want me to pay you for selling me the car! That's what your margin does!" "Margin" - difference between MSRP or negotiated selling price and dealer cost.

"prep and delivery" or "port fee" - fee for trucking the car from the delivery port to the dealer and prep. of the vehicle by the dealer and at the port (adding options, removal of plastic, cleaning, checking fluids, etc.).

"extra equipment fee" - you will often find dealers adding extra stuff and charging ridiculous prices for it. Tell them to remove it or you will walk (if you don't want it)!

"registration, licence, taxes" - you can pay this yourself to the state govt. except taxes, which of course are always added at sale time. I always take the paperwork from the dealer to a registrar office and do my own registration (here we also have to have proof of insurance to get the vehicle registered and get a plate so that comes first).

Always remember, even though the Prius is sometimes in short supply, you can always take your buisness elsewhere. If they (the dealer) are making you uncomfortable, tell them. Tell them why, and tell then you will leave if they don't stop. Try to remain calm. Loosing your temper will not solve anything.

Expect pressure from the "finance officer" for you to finance through them. If the rate is good, go ahead, but be prepared!

Many think what you experience at a car dealership is "slimy", but remember, this is how they make their living. Don't put up with things you don't like. You can take your money elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure this is all covered elsewhere on this site (it's what Edmunds does). ;)
  • sunnyside1sunnyside1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Quasi, can you tell me which dealership you purchased from? Thx... :-)
    Forgot one thing. Usually the "finance officer" will also pressure you to purchase the "extended warranty" and also a "prepaid service contract". You have until the new vehicle warranty expires (3 years) to purchase the extended warranty. Unless they offer you the 7 year 100,000 mi for less than $990 don't buy - and the name is misleading. It extends the warranty for a further 4 years. You can get the Toyota extended warranty online for a lot less than what most dealers offer it. The prepaid service contract is an even worse waste of money. "Pay as you go" is the best deal here.
    Sunnyside1 - I ended up buying from 355 Toyota in Rockville. I was very happy with them (not too pushy).
    After reading this thread, I went online and got a 7/75K warranty for under $700 ... compare with almost $1,845 as quoted by the dealer!
  • matsfmatsf Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

could you point out where you can get a factory extended warranty for Toyota online? I was looking at buying a Honda before and found a few good places, but I ended up with a Toyota Prius :) and now I am somewhat interested in an extended warranty.

Thanks

/Mats
    BTW: I was really interested only on th extended warranty given the Prius is still a relatively new car with lots of fancy electronics to potentially go wrong. BTW: I questioned the dealer about the value of the extended warranty on the first 3 years of the 7 years term. As far as the car is concern, nothing really. However, you do get paid for trip interruption, towing and such things ralting to any breakdown even during the first 3 years.

I was much less interested in the prepaid service. Figuring on a major service every year of $200 (and every thing should be covered under warranty) and an oil change in between (assuming 10K miles a year). So I guess it will kindof break even at $875 (and of course I lose out on interest, chance of losing my booklet of service stubs etc.) On the other hand, every time I took my Highlander into service (without the prepaid), theuy always try to sell me a lot more stuff like change this fluid and that fuid so I always walk out with more than a $300 bill minimum. I hope with the prepaid, I will be able to better avoid those add ons. We shall see.

BTW: According to the guy who sold me the two packages, they are apparently transferable to new owner if I so choice to sell the car. There is apparently a $50 name change fee per package.

BBTW: I did not stumble on similar thread when I bought my Highlander 3 years ago and paid almost list price of the extended warranty. Bummer. Live and learn.
  • sibukisibuki Member Posts: 2
    I've seen quite a few Prius' on the lots recently and picked one up for a price so low even my shopping service asked where I went....

Try these if you are looking--they were no hassle and started right off with great prices. I did everything over the internet......

Walnut Creek Toyota
    Vallejo Toyota
    Daly City Toyota.

Good luck all!
    Eric listed the fellow I was referring to. Tell him you found it on Priuschat (go there and look around).
    Figure out how many miles you will put on per year and then choose the warranty that fits you. Troy will sell whichever one you need at a great price. Unfortunatly he can't sell them for Canadian cars so I can't take him up on this great deal. :(
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I went to a Toyota dealership after talking to the internet manager about price on a 2007 Prius package 2 + carpeting and 1st aide kit MSRP $24,300+ for 23000 + TTL + 100 processing fee. After readying to pay for the car(no trade, they want to give me too little for my 2005 Accord :( ), they told me the car has Lojack which will be another $499 :mad: . But they are willing to get another Prius for me without Lojack. In the end we decided on a 2007 Prius with package2 with floor mats MSRP $24,169 for $22,869 + TTL + $100 processing fee. This cas is suppose to arrive around 11/30 :) . Is this a decent price? This is the best price I could get in DE or PA.
  • sodaguysodaguy Member Posts: 84
    The internet sales manager @ Piercey Toyota quoted me $1500+ off MSRP on a Pkg 4 just now. If anyone is looking for one in that area, jump on it immediately!
  • kahn_vtkahn_vt Member Posts: 2
    Finally, I got a Prius package#2 (Blue with mileage 2) yesterday from Darcars Toyota Frederick.

Price: $22572
    Processing fee: $100
    Warranty (7yr,100k): $995
    Tax (VA) and etc: $890
    OTD price: $24557

I got the price from the email from Internet Manager and called to check the stock. I didn’t do anything to get this price. The sale associate who worked for me was great. No rush, no pressure. The financial manager just showed me the warranty (7 yr, 100k) for $995 without any trick. They are selling all Prius at the invoice plus $100 now. But, I am not sure how long they will go with that price.

Kyoungho
  • cowchips99cowchips99 Member Posts: 2
    I got an initial price quote over the phone from the internet department of a dealer for a package #4 with z1 accessories, and the ef rear bumper applique for $24300?? Another dealer offered 25,000 on a package #3, with ttf! This seemed a little suprising to me, but with other people on this forum posting that some dealerships are starting to sell at right above invoice, maybe this isn't so surprising?

Does anyone know why this dramatic change in prius marketing is happening? :confuse: Do you think it might be possible to negotiate below invoice??

-Mike
  • cowchips99cowchips99 Member Posts: 2
    I was told by a dealer in PA today that certain prius packages are not being offered in certain regions. They said a Package #3 07 prius isn't offered in PA, but they are being sold up in the NY area.

Anyone know anything about these regional distributions?

The dealer told me this when I was trying to negotiate down a package #4 price from a quote I got from another PA dealer on a package #3 prius. She told me that there shouldn't be any package #3's in the PA area!!

Gots me very puzzled. :surprise:
  • mi2kshopmi2kshop Member Posts: 19
    That sounds like a great price! Congrats. You mention invoice+100. Invoice on edmunds for this car is 21999. Did you get some other options too?
  • djwdjwdjwdjw Member Posts: 21
    Curious about this too. The dealer I was wrangling with (and did not buy from) had a different set of numbers. According to edmunds $21,999 is invoice so this is closer to $600 over invoice?
    The Edmunds numbers are somewhat off the money because they do not include the advertising component that you will inevitably see included on the dealer invoice sheet.

The dealer invoice information you can find at Fitzmal
    are more realistic.
    On another Prius-related message board, I found a reference to someone advertising Prius' on craigslist.com here in Florida. Sure enough, I found it. No stupid dealer "doc" fees, excellent discount from MSRP, no games.

Check out Earl Stewart Toyota

I'm very excited to be receiving (they're delivering it to me today!) my white Package 1 Touring Edition this afternoon.

Respecting Edmund's Rules of the Road, I can't provide the name of my salesman, but he was a total straight-shooter. I can't believe I'm actually writing this, because in general, I've found Toyota dealers to be extraordinarily sleazy to deal with.

Good luck to all.
  • mr_campmr_camp Member Posts: 1
    oops, my original post had the salesmen's name - removed and reposted...

I live in Dallas, TX and had a good buying experience after working phones and email for a few days. I started by submitting internet requests for quotes through Edmunds, cars.com, and each dealer's Toyota website. I looked at each dealer's website Prius inventory and took note of two or three VINs I was interested in and asked for quotes on those. Luckily, the Dallas area has at least 10 dealers I could get quotes from and many were offering me $500 to $1000 off MSRP on their first offer. Request they email you the quote - because you'll need it in case another internet sales manager will match another's quote.

This process lasted about three days and I never went more than two rounds of quotes over email. Of course this is the end of the month and most dealers wanted to price aggressively. My first email would say "I am looking to buy before the end of the month if I can find the right car at the right price." Once I had their first quote and it was a configuration I really liked I would write, "If you can meet $xyz price on such and such car, I can be there today to close the deal." and I chose a reasonable low ball price for $xyz like $2000 off MSRP (just make sure you're giving them some profit above invoice or they won't take you seriously on a Prius).

Since I was flexible with options and color, I went with the sales mgr that was the most upfront and not slimy. He matched other quotes off MSRP and promised no hidden or junk fees. Also this dealership doesn't like to lump on dealer add-ons like tinting, etching, accessories (all crap). I got an '07 Touring pkg #5, with only floor mats added - all for well below MSRP. When I got to the dealer, there were no surprises, only the required fees were present, and the transaction went smooth.

If you are in Dallas, the dealership is Toyota of Plano and ask for the internet sales mgr. Good luck out there!
  • joannerjoanner Member Posts: 10
    Let me tell you about a price I was given yesterday (December 1) in Pinellas Park, FL.

2007 Prius MSRP 22,175, Package #3 2550, Toyoguard 699, plus something else to equal 26,125. PLUS market value adjustment 2500. Total asking price for this car is 28,625.28!!! I asked if the price could be reduced, and the salesman said "a little."

By the way, the dealership advertises this same car (same VIN) on the internet for 26,725.

I really liked this car. What would be an acceptable offer?
    They're trying to rip you off!!!

I just paid $500 over invoice. No "Dealer Doc" fees, and certainly no "Market Value Adjustment". They charged me $100 to deliver it to my door in Saint Cloud, FL.

Check out:
    Earl Stewart Toyota
    These people are trying to rip you off. I would get out of that place as fast as I could and on the way out I would politely suggest to them that they take their market value adjustment and carefully stick it where the sun don't shine.
  • jlalorjlalor Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone! My wife and I have been looking at the Prius for some time now, and finally decided to go for it. We live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and visited several dealers in and around the Metroplex. On place was adding $2,500 to MSRP, which almost stopped us from looking. Another dealer we checked was selling them for MSRP, which was much more reasonable.

Well, I certainly recommend thorough research and patience when buying a new car. I kept my eyes out for a car that we liked, and it showed up at Toyota of Irving. On their website, it said that they were doing Employee Pricing on the Prius! I contacted an internet sales manager, and he was about the nicest car salesman I've ever encountered.

The car we had our eye on was a 2007 Seaside Pearl Touring Edition, with Package #6. This fully-loaded car had an equally loaded MSRP of $29,470. Well, he gave us the car at $200 over invoice... $27,379! I think we made an excellent deal, and the car is now ours.

Toyota of Irving ---> HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Jonathan & Hilliary :D
This discussion has been closed.