Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• carlstraubcarlstraub Member Posts: 50
    Hi,
    Both of you (So Cal #2) have great deals. We paid 22K at end of Feb for 2 pkg #2 cars.
    Gasoline has gone up steadily since.
    Have fun,
    Carl
    PS JAKESTER-- did you get a car ?
  • prius92508prius92508 Member Posts: 4
    sorry but ive been ripped off by dealers all my life now thanks to this site they made VERY thin profit on the car...i hoped that i helped out jake whatever his name is..
  • pgittispgittis Member Posts: 1
    got a quote from Miller Toyota of Anaheim too - $21500 + t/l for pkg. 2. they also quoted me $23500 for package 5. talk to allan in internet fleet.
  • dc94587dc94587 Member Posts: 12
    23500 for a pkg5 is good. I bought one at 236xx2 wks ago. justmake sure they don't bite you elsewhere like a ripoff trade-in, $1900 extended warranty, gap insurance, paint protection, etc..pkg5 comes with floor/trunk mats, make sure they don`t take them away while doing the washup. give them an address where the sales tax is less could save you another $50.
  • philyowphilyow Member Posts: 1
    I picked up a package 2 from Longo last week. I paid around $21,222, or $400 off the invoice. The OTD price was approximately $23,600. I also received the same quote from Crown Toyota in Ontario. The people at Crown seemed nicer and I wanted to buy from them, but, Longo was more convenient.
  • maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 12
    You made the right choice. Crown is the worst. The sales department is all sweet but the service department flat out sucks!
  • demonspawnsdemonspawns Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    Has anyone purchase a 2007 Prius in Western Washington recently? I am interested in Package 3 but unsure what a reasonable price would be. Any input in dealership experience would also be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • jjewelljjewell Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am a new member, and have enjoyed reading this discussion "Prices Paid" etc. I would like to especially refer to the message by bugchucker on April 5.- re "buying only on the Internet" Does that refer to only buying NEW cars on the Internet/and via a dealership? How about buying on the Internet via online sales, auctions, etc. as well as buying on Internet for used cars? Has that been successful, useful, or problematic for members of this discussion group? thanks. jjewell
  • thomaskl1thomaskl1 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to lease a Prius. Last month (March) I went to a few dealerships and Toyota was offering a very good lease deal - for the first time the car was (for me at least) affordable. I then went about selling my car so I could lease a Prius. This month I went back to follow-up and the dealers all told me that gas prices had gone back up and that the company no longer had to offer the incentive deal they were offering because the cars are in (great) demand again. Now this strikes me as being incredibly cynical - they finally make the car affordable for some people, and then as soon as gas prices go up they pull it. Shouldn't this be the time that they want to put as many people as possible into a Prius. I have waited years to get this car and now it's not possible. I have spoken a number of times with a seemingly sympatehtic customer service representative at Toyota headquarters in California, who expressed great surprise and regret that the situation would be presented to me the way it has by the dealers, but it seems like there is little he can do. Do others feel the same way about this - the lease deals I am reading on this site are outrageous in my opinion.
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    this evening, spoke to the dealership's internet department, stated AAA prices at 3% above invoice. This dealership's internet department prices at 2% above inovice.

the dealership's internet prices for 2007 Prius BASE model with package option # 5 (NL) - $25053 + tax + tags + $96 doc fees. We don't think it's a good deal after reading this board messages. Also with Tier I+ credit rating, rates near 7.9% for 60 months from Toyota Financial Services!?

Also with package # 5 with BASE model, per Toyota.com, the discount is at $2,000. The internet rep stated, the MSRP/invoices have been "adjusted" accordingly.

We were thinking with BASE model + package # 5 should be around $23,500 before taxes/tags/doc fees.

Please give us your opinions/feedbacks.
  • thomaskl1thomaskl1 Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible that Toyota offered the special Prius lease offer that expired at the end of March to help boost their quarterly results. If you look at yesterday's announcement, Toyota overtook GM to be the number one car seller in the US?
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    The dealership sent an "Vehicle Inquiry Report" and I cut/paste partial email (related to prices) below. Besides 2% dealer invoice and Dealer Holdback, What are TDA and Whsl. Financial Reserve? Do you pay this based on regions? I thought floor mats are included in pkg #5.

Again, this is for 2007 Prius BASE with pkg. #5 (NL).

Vehicle Base Model : $ 22175.00 (MSRP) $ 19755.00 (Invoice)
    Total Accessories $ 3479.00 (MSRP) $ 3078.00 (Invoice)

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCEHybrid Synergy Drive System1.5L 4Cyl DOHC 16 Valve w/VVT-i EngineElctrnic Cntinusly Variable Trans (ECVT)Electronic Power Steering SystemMacPherson Strut Front SuspensionTorsion Beam Rear Suspension15" Alloy Wheels w/P185/65R15 TiresFront Disc (14") and Rear Drum BrakesSAFETYDr & Fr Pass Advanced Front Airbag (SRS)Dr & Fr Pass Side & Curtain AirbagsTraction Control (TRAC)ABS w/Elec Brake Force Dist & Brk Assist3 Point Seatbelts w/ALR/ELR Pass BeltsSide-Impact Door BeamsRr-Seat Child Restraint Sys (CRS) LowerAnchors and Top Tether Brackets (LATCH)Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring SystemEXTERIORMulti-Reflectr Halogn Auto-Off HeadlampsDual Clr-Keyd Pwr Heated Outside MirrorsChrome-Type Finish on Front GrilleRear SpoilerCOMFORT AND CONVENIENCEAuto Climate Control w/Air FiltrationAM/FM CD with 6 SpeakersPush Button StartRemote Keyless Entry, Engine ImmobilizerCruise ControlLiquid-Crystal Multi-Info Display Panelw/Energy Monitor, Fuel Consumption,Climate Control, O/S Temp & Audio StatusTilt Steer Wheel w/Climate & Audio Cntrl60/40 Split Fold-Flat Rear SeatVariable Frnt & Intermittent Rr WipersHeavy-Duty Rr Window Defogger w/TimerPwr Door Locks & Wndws w/Dr Auto Up/DownCntr Console & Dual-Compartmnt Glove Box2 Auxiliary 12V Power OutletsCargo Tonneau Cover & Undr-Floor StorageOverhead Console with Map LightsFabric Cloth Seats

Retail (MSRP)--- Dealer
    $ 22175.00 --- $ 19755.00
    $ 3280.00 --- $ 2952.00 (package #5 NL)

50 State Emissions ......Package #5 Includes: Voice-Activated DVD ... GPS Navigation System; JBL AM/FM 6-Disc CD .Changer with 9 Speakers, Aux Audio Input ...Miniplug, MP3/WMA Playback Capability, .....Satellite Radio Capability, and Hands-Free .Phone Capability via Bluetooth; Vehicle ....Stability Control; Backup Camera; Smart ....Key System; Anti-Theft System; .............Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with ..........HomeLink; High Intensity Discharge (HID) ...Headlamps; Integrated Fog Lamps ............

Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat
    199.00 (MSRP) 126.00 (Invoice)

Total Accessories : $ 3479.00 (MSRP) $ 3078.00 (Invoice)
    Destination Charge : $ 620.00
    TDA : $435
    Gasoline : $10.00
    Dealer Holdback : $ 443.00
    Whsl. Financial Reserve : $221.00
    Total : $ 24562.00 (invoice)

Again, I don't see the discount of package #5 NL for $2,000 Bonus Discounts/Savings per Toyota.com > Prius section > mouse over "Savings Bonuses" tab to see all package discount savings.

Thanks!
  • dc94587dc94587 Member Posts: 12
    Looks like a rip off.
  • gary41gary41 Member Posts: 6
    After waiting 3 years, I just picked up my new Prius today - 52mpg driving home from the dealer doing 70 with the A/C. Bought from Toyota of San Juan Capistrano in South Orange County - dealt directly with the Internet/fleet department - package 2, floor mats, $20,998 + fees - unbelievably friendly staff. Did the deal over the phone, only spent 5 minutes on the paperwork. Also, free oil changes and tires for life. Couldn't be happier.
  • greentea69greentea69 Member Posts: 6
    To: gary41
    I am thinking about buying exactly the same Prius (with pkg #2 and floor mats). Except the internet department in Dallas is asking much more than your price. You wrote, "I paid $20,998 + fees." Could you tell me what the fees were for? Just tax, tag and license?
  • anchovyanchovy Member Posts: 3
    Hi CarMan, thanks for all the info you provide. I don't know how you find the time...

I went to Hollywood Toyota to get a package 6 regular Prius. I have Tier 1+ credit etc etc etc. I was hoping that with 0 down I would aim for $450 pm for a 36M lease with 15K miles.

They offered me $488 + tax. So, says I, based on their price of $25,300 (nice I had thought), I'd be coughing up over $19,000 for 3 years? They had said the residual would be $13,400 but Toyota was no longer offering .00133 MF, and rather I would only get .00245 (5.9%)

When I said that the numbers didn't seem to add up, I was told that "Hybrid's have very low residuals", "Toyota doesn't offer the .00133 MF in favor of a blanket $2,000 off MSRP" and "have some coffee."

This sounded phenomenally high to me, but they didn't have any interest in negotiating (did my sheafs of townhall-talk make them not want to do business?). My last lease was an Audi A6 that I paid about this much for.

Confused in Cali aka Am I Just An Unrealistic Fool? aka can I not afford to save the planet?
    Right - they always stick it to you in California. The price I paid for a package #2 + floor mats was $20,988, plus $55 doc fee, $1631 sales tax, and $189 license, for an OTD price of $22,882. The going prices for pkg#2 around here is generally about $21,500. You may be able to get a better deal on Monday since it is the last day of the month and they had a very weak April sales month because the APR promo and higher tax credit that ended in March.
  • bmwmamabmwmama Member Posts: 3
    Got a package 6 for $25,5515. I added back window tinting and extended warranty. I love this car!! Use the Internet department.
    I found that there is $500 incentives going on for Prius in April according to Edmunds.com. I know that Toyota reduced the price for package #2 to 6 as incentives but I would like to find out if this $500 incentives is on top of the current deal from Toyota. I found in the consumer reports that they are offering this deal in CA. I live in Dallas and I know that one of the dealerships in town was mentioning about $500 incentives on their website early this month but now it's gone. I don't see it any more. I am planning to buy Prius by the end of April if I could find the right one so I'd like to find out.

Please let me know if any of you know anything about this.
  • oldfordman1oldfordman1 Member Posts: 8
    I've been working with four dealers in the Washington DC metro area (all but one in the outlying suburbs) all week on pricing for a driftwood pearl Prius with package 4. Trade in was a ratty looking 1996 T-bird pushing 100,000 miles. It ran okay, but the interior was worn and the body had dents, dings, and scratches all around as befits a car that has spent its whole life in and around the city. The first three dealers all offered a flat $500 for the T-bird, so I figured that was a pretty good indication of its worth. Through Thursday afternoon, the best deal on the Prius with package 4 and carpet and mat package was $23,500 plus my T-bird at $500 for $24,000 plus TTL. Tried a fourth dealer Thursday night online and offered $23,000 plus my car. They bit and I picked it up this afternoon. No hassle at the dealership. The price was $23K on the nose and they also allowed $500 for my car. Edmunds TMV today for this region is $24,180, and I bought the car for $23,500. For whatever it's worth, the dealership showed me the invoice, which was around $24,300.

The finance guy did not try to sell me the extended warranties. He just presented the prices, offered to negotiate down, and showed me where to sign to decline. Not even one offer of any aftermarket stuff, not that I would have bought any of it anyway. He didn't even push financing once I said I would pay cash. I tried to pay with a credit card to get the card rebates, but the finance guy said Toyota limits them to $3K on credit cards. I charged the $3K and will at least get back sixty bucks.

The final price included only $10 to transfer the tags. The finance guy noticed my tags were expiring in three days and offered to renew them since the dealership was a motor vehicle agent. He renewed them for two years at $128 without adding anything to the bottom line. Another $128 I didn't have to pay.

I was in the dealership just over two hours, saw three Prius cars get delivered (including mine) as well as three other Toyotas. Great buying experience.
  • mofizurmofizur Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone, our local dealer has a 05 Prius with 33.6K miles Toyota certified,Package 6 (Nav,smartkey,TSC) the car is in excellent shape with new tires, I have offered 17K and they have offered me 18.5K, is this a great,good,fair or bad deal? should I do it?
    It depends. You only have a couple of thousand miles left on the warranty, they made a substantial amount of improvements on the '06, and you could buy a brand new package 5 for $23,500. Frankly, I would pay $5K more for two years newer, three more years of warranty, more features, and knowing I will recoup about 75% of the extra cost when I sell (because of less miles and two years newer). I just picked up mine a couple of days ago and love it, and I stepped out of a 2006 BMW 3-series for the Prius. Bottom line: market is very soft on new ones; if you could get the '05 for $17K-$17.5K I would say grab it, but at $18.5K it's too close to a new one. I just paid $20,998 for a new pkg#2 + floor mats. Good luck.
  • gilnashgilnash Member Posts: 19
    check out this press release on current incentives -
    America, Your Prius is Ready
  • lc7cavlc7cav Member Posts: 1
    On the west coast the deal is 23500 to 23800 for a pkg 5 Prius. Does anyone have any feedback on the east coast(nycmetroarea)
    See my post number 681. I never found a package 5 here in the DC area. I bought a package 4 on Friday for $23,000 plus a $500 trade (the trade was fairly valued - three other dealers had offered exactly the same amount). Some DC area dealers have a glut of Prius and are still willing to do some dealing. Gas is hovering in the $2.89 - $2.93 range for 87 octane right now. I imagine we'll see prices over three dollars by Memorial day, so Prius prices will probably start increasing. A Honda dealer was selling 2 of his 4 Civic Hybrids for $20,500 last week. Both were nice cars, no strange colors or anything, he was just trying to compete with the Prius. We looked long and hard at the Civic, but that tiny trunk and inability to fold down the rear seats sent us back to Toyota. My wife preferred the Prius and since it was to be her car....she got what she wanted even if it did cost more.
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    If anyone would share their prices paid with me, it would be of great help. I am wanting to buy a 2007 Prius (package 6, Leather & navigation) preferrably Touring model. I hope to make a good buy sometime soon. Thank you>
  • pilkerpilker Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in hearing of experiences in the Chicagoland area in purchasing a 2007 Prius with pkg #5 including the latest package incentives announced April 3. (Also, I'm planning on doing the negotiating via Internet in the next month and paying cash.) Thanks!
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    Does anyone know when the option package discounts end? I'm in the process of selling my car and wanted to wait to buy my new Prius until my current car sells; but, not if those discounts are ending soon.
    Thanks.
  • montybearmontybear Member Posts: 1
    The prices I have gotten back for this configuration is 25,200 to 26,200. I don't think this includes fees. In package 6 do you get leather seats or leather "trim". Trying to figure out if the leather in 6 is a ripoff
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The leather package includes leather covered steering wheel, and leather "seating areas". This means the centre panel of the seat bottom and back. All the rest is "leather appearing" vinyl. For about $1000 you can get the same from the aftermarket, such as Katzkin, with your choise of color. For a little more, Katzkin will give you all leather. They also supply a console cover. What you don't get with aftermarket, is the leather covered steering wheel.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Try Elgin Toyota. I purchased mine through them and after they sold me the extended warranty for $1995( I wanted it, and wasnt in a mood to negotiate at the time), then after getting home and having some time to look around, and found I could get it for much less, I called them to cancel it, Instead what they did was gave it to me for $726 and sent me a check for the difference since it was part of the financing. A $1250 loan at 2.9% is not bad, I paid off a high interest card with it, so they did me well. SO I got a 2007 base model for MSRP, they gave me $4000 for a 98 Exploder sight unseen as trade in on it, and didnt give me hard time with the warranty when I found a better deal, instead gave me a beter than better deal on it. They were the only toyota dealership whose website promoted the low interest financing on the Prius, had I not seen it there I would not have known about it.
  • dmaysdmays Member Posts: 7
    I've decided to trade my 2004 Acura TL for a Toyota Prius. I've also decided on color(s) and specifics such as what I think is a good deal for both the trade and purchase. I have tried to buy locally (NJ), but end up frustrated with tactics such as the salesperson taking my car around back to look like he is having it 'valued' only to find out that it is his way to keep me from walking out. Disaster. I don't have the patience.

Now...I commute between NYC and Washington, DC on a regular basis and can buy anywhere in between. I would prefer to negotiate online with less than 1 hour in the showroom...that's how I did my Acura and ended up very very very satisfied.

So...

Model - Prius Touring
    Package - 5
    Color - Magnetic Gray, Black, Silver

Anyone know of where to buy one like this for a good deal between NYC and Washington DC that will deal online?
  • tmporttmport Member Posts: 19
    Try Fitzmall. Their Toyota dealership is located in Gaithersburg, MD. They have 50+ Prius models right now, though only one has Package 5, for a no-haggle price of $24,272 before tax/tags.

Go here: http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsa.asp?Search=NEW&order=INT_PRICE&DISPTYPE- - =ALL
    Also try Koons Toyota in Annapolis (MD), Arlington, or Tyson's Corner (both in VA). The online contact at Annapolis is great (the rules don't allow me to mention his name). I worked only with Annapolis because I didn't want to deal with a two hour trip to Tysons or 90 minutes to Arlington. Between the three locations, they had over 300 Prius last week. I did everything online and was in the dealership just over two hours. Would have been shorter if they hadn't been delivering five cars and had only one finance guy.

The Tysons location is a big lot and building in a crowded area. I've never seen the Arlington location. The Annapolis location is in a very old dealership inherited from some other make and is on a small piece of property right in the city. They have little room and have to move cars quickly, in my opinion. I also suspect they have a low overhead due to the age of the building.

Good luck. Package fives are scarce in the DC area. I never saw one in a week of searching at four dealerships. Koons has most of their cars at Tysons, maybe they have one out there.
  • nahreatnahreat Member Posts: 12
    I am in DC/Balto. metro area and in the market for a '07 Prius with package 6 (leather & navi). Anyone have a suggestions for the best dealership to deal with and a target price? I hear it's hard to come by one with leather? thanks in advance.
  • politemusicpolitemusic Member Posts: 3
    Gary,
    Can you tell me who you dealt with at that dealership to get that great price? Sounds ideal to me.
    Best,
    Justin
    LA, CA
    I can't give out the names per the rules of the board, but three ladies run the Internet department and I did the deal over the phone with them. Extremely pleasant experience - showed up, did the paperwork in 5 minutes, no finance dep't upsell or anything. It was worth the drive down to San Juan Capo to save as much as I did and to be treated that well.
    Awesome, thanks so much Gary.
    Best,
    Justin
    Gary,
    They're trying to look up the deal, and can't find your name. What name did you buy the car under? I think they feel I'm a little out of control with suggesting a price like that.
    Best,
    Justin
    The price was $20,998 + fees for a package 2 + floor mats. I purchased it last Wednesday, April 25, from the ladies in the Internet department. Purchase was under the name Cooper. Let me know what happens.
  • florida_wenflorida_wen Member Posts: 29
    We actually went to five Toyota Dealers in the Tampa / Lakeland, Florida area. We just ordered (yep, "waiting" for that certain color/specific package combo) a 2007 Prius TOURING with PACKAGE 5, no other options !! We have (on signed order sheet) an agreed price of $25,478 for the vehicle plus $589 "Dealer Admin. Fee" which, in actuality, makes it $26,067 !! We are trading in a "mint condition" (you gotta see this one !!) 2003 Acura MDX Touring w/NAVI and Towing package (trans. cooler & hitch, Dealer installed when new) which Kelly Blue Book claims it's worth $22K (trade-in). The "Black Book" says $19K (trade-in). THIS Dealer is giving us $19,500 "trade". Remember too, when using a "trade-in" there is a GREAT "tax savings" as the trade-in is "subtracted" from the NEW vehicle price and the state sales TAX is ONLY on the "difference"..... in our current case $6K, so it is somewhat equal to getting (in theory) $21K if I were to sell the MDX privately or to a place like CarMax !! Either way it hurts to have to take such a hit on a vehicle we paid $45K+ for in '03, but the PREMIUM FUEL ONLY in the MDX, at over $3.25 per gallon, is "killing" us, like everyone else, even at 22 MPG "average" !!
    So........ are we close to Edmunds "T.M.V." ??
  • geno0217geno0217 Member Posts: 1
    Florida Wen
    Can you tell me the dealer you bought from in Tampa?
    Looking for a Prius with package 2
    did your price include taxes etc.?
    Thanks
    geno0217
  • florida_wenflorida_wen Member Posts: 29
    Hello geno0217,

I assume you obviously live close to the Tampa, Florida area. We actually live in Plant City, on the far eastern side of Hillsborough County near the Polk County line near Lakeland (which is in Polk County, less than 10 miles from us). We first went to a Toyota Dealer in Lakeland but we were not happy with the Prius selling price or the "trade-in" price on our '03 Acura MDX. We went to several other Dealers in Tampa and one in Brandon then we decided on purchasing the new 2007 PRIUS TOURING from TOYOTA OF TAMPA BAY, although NONE of the Dealers had the color and package choice (pkg. 5) we desire in stock. :(
    By the way.... Sales Tax, License, Tag & Title fees were NOT included in the price I quoted in the original post !! Just a "Dealer Admin. Fee" of $589 (whatever the heck that is for ??)
  • jerrym43jerrym43 Member Posts: 1
    This is from the proposal from the dealer. 2007 Prius sedan, package #6. Money factor=0.00214. Res= %52 Res=$13967.20 cap cost=23236.38 advance= 33835 profit=329.46 init charge= $4500 inception fee deficiency=507.50 mark up=29.46 msrp=27450.00
    monthly payment for 3 years=$359.00 including tax I'd have 35 payments after delivery----they would allow me $4500 for my 97 Camry in trade but the bluebook is only 3250 on a trade. That's the only thing I'd put down.
    I am seriously considering this but do not want to get taken. These are all the figures Igot from the dealer.
    Thanks for your help and advice
    Jerry
    From what I hear from newspapers, I don't think the offer ends that soon. I myself was going to buy a silver Prius the end of April. We agreed on the price and I put the $250 down payment. I changed my mind and wanted a Red Prius. Beginning of May, they still let me order a Prius with the options I like with the same price and the car is coming in the end of this month or June.
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    Thank you greentea, I looked on Toyota's website as well and it looks like they are still offering the package discounts and it doesn't seem to indicate they are ending any time soon. In fact, my dealer told me last month that Toyota sent them all new window stickers for the Priuses to reflect the new discounts....it sounds like the discounts are here to stay for a while. Congrats on your order; I'm really looking forward to purchasing one.
  • redesdaleredesdale Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to leasing, so forgive me, but why say no to the gap insurance? I've read around that when leasing, you absolutely do need it.
  • paxtonkpaxtonk Member Posts: 49
    Hey acdii - Is that 2.9% through Toyota? - Thanks!
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    It was, it ended April 2nd, which is why I only got a base model, it was all they had, and I didnt have time to look at other dealers. I found out about the Prius too late to get a loaded one. :cry:
  • paxtonkpaxtonk Member Posts: 49
    well drats - that's cheap money!
This discussion has been closed.