Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sri345sri345 Member Posts: 6
    I checked with Toyota of Hackensack, NJ. One of the members 'aroxas' gave me the contact of the sales person (very kind of him and I appreciate it very much). Spoke with the sales person he recommended. She took the specifics of what I was looking at and said she will call me after trying to locate it in 1 week. I got a call from her in 10 days and said she located the exact car I wanted (package 5 in red). She said she will give me $500 over invoice. I was very excited. She even faxed me a written invoice. she said she'll call me in 10 min to take the credit card details. I did get a call in 10 minutes and she said ... her manager want's to sell the car to some other customer who is willing to pay sticker or pay more than sticker. Very disappointed ... Not professional at all ...
    Toyota of manhattan promised me that they would match any price by other dealers. So I took the quote from toyota of hackensack. I faxed the quote to them, The internet manager and the sales guy both promised they can match it. So I went there personally. Now they say that they can match it but I have to wait till october to get the car or I can pay $1000 over sticker and get the car in 10 days. That is ridiculous because its not price match.
    They have one car manager special which they are ready to do $1000 over invoice. Basically, this car has over 8000 miles and used by manager and used for test drives.
    I said no thanks and walked out.
    From my experience, if some one is not desperate for a car it makes sense to wait till there is more supply. Considering lot of people both at invoice or below invoice just a month ago ... paying sticker or over sticker is ridiculos (just my point of view).
  • suestuffcolorasuestuffcolora Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am about to pick one up tomorrow or on Thursday. Green, Touring Package #6 plus options that we put on it. This is in Colorado. Total price is $29,529. That includes taxes. Is your price including the taxes?

Was it hard to learn to drive? I am a bit nervous about that. My DH test drove it, I didn't. But it is my car. I am going green!

Thanks for any advice you might have for me. I have to drive it back from Denver to Palmer Lake (10 miles north of Colorado Springs). Only an hour, but I am nervous.
  • suestuffcolorasuestuffcolora Member Posts: 2
    Oh, I forgot to say, that we got our price jacked up by $500 today. The price I gave you included that. I am really new to this and actually posted on the wrong thread. But you might be able to help with if our price is right or not.
  • prusaprusa Member Posts: 43
    I am on the same boat as you are. I have been looking for a good deal and will continue searching until I get it. I heard that the 2008 will arrive in September. I guess by then, I should be able to get a good deal and not pay for the over the sticker price.
  • tnel332tnel332 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for everyones replys...
    I sent an email to an internet manager today and all I got back was an automated response.
    Maybe I'll look at a Corolla..haha ...A motorcyle would be cheaper :) I'll make a few called on Friday. Maybe I can get one reasonably priced for the end of the month crunch.
  • mrmellmrmell Member Posts: 11
    Hi. Been away a couple of days. By now you've prob picked up yours. My price is including all, tags, title, minus a trade in, then taxes on that. We picked it up a week ago today. My wife's car and she loves it. Like a little golf cart she tells everyone. It really is special and it does take getting used to, but nothing to be "nervous" about. Good luck.
  • sofutomygahasofutomygaha Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,
    I bought a new '07, standard, package#2 at Herb Chambers Toyota for $22,450. Here are my experiences; I hope they are helpful to someone. If you read nothing else, read #7:

1. My goal was to get the Edmunds TMV ($22,450). Paying cash.

2. The best price I could get from any dealership in the area over the phone or email was $22,700. This was from Ira Toyota in Danvers.

3. The "no haggle" dealership, Expressway Motors, claimed that edmunds.com had the invoice price wrong. I haggled. They refused to go any lower than $1k over their inflated invoice (see holdback).

4. When presented with a printout of the Edmunds TMV, the Herb Chambers people praised my savvy, offered the car for that price, and then gauged $200 for the floormats and cargo mat, which I was surprised to see are not listed among the standard interior features on the site. I tried to push further and didn't get anywhere. I relented and paid the extra $200.

5. My trade-in was quite fair when compared to the blue-book value (it was also a very old car worth little).

6. I got three free sodas. The MSRP of a diet coke from the lobby vending machine was $1.40. w00t.

7. Had I not known what to expect as far as the trade-in, tax, and documentation cost, my ignorance might have cost me $1k or more. Once we agreed on the price of the car, they showed me the number with tax & fees for me to pay. Actually, they wrote it on a card and flashed the card at me. It was too high and I protested. What followed was truly bizarre. No judgment here, but consider:
    - after agreeing on $22,450, they wrote up a sales form for the full sticker price. "oops"
    - they *added* my trade-in instead of subtracting it on the next go-round. "oops"
    - they miscalculated the sales tax twice. The manager joked about being bad with numbers. Ha ha! Funny guy!

8. The warranty salesman had repeated difficulty spelling the word "maintenance."

9. When I turned down the extended service plan and the lo-jac, they both became hundreds of dollars cheaper. They were still not at all tempting to me.

I went ahead and bought the toyota service plan, which essentially amounts to prepaying your first five years of oil changes and scheduled maintenance at small discount. It seems like a good investment if you plan to follow your warrantee schedule, which I do. I passed on everything else.
    Glad all that's over with!!!

It occurs to me that the dealerships probably monitor these forums if they're smart. Well, hi Herb Chambers. Thanks for giving me a good price on the car. I'm glad I came, even if you did have some sketchy trouble with arithmetic.
  • littlechloelittlechloe Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I haven't bought this car yet but I was quoted $26,220 for the fully loaded touring (pkg #6 I think), Northern Calif. I'm still deciding whether to wait for the '08. Anyone have an opinion on that?
  • dabreeze21dabreeze21 Member Posts: 1
    I am just wondering if I can negotiate the security deposit and acquisition fee out. Is everyone paying those or not? Thanks.
  • prusaprusa Member Posts: 43
    Wait! I am also waiting for the 08. After visiting so many dealers, I have determined that it is worth the waiting. There are going be changes on the 08. Prusa.
  • florida_wenflorida_wen Member Posts: 29
    I sincerely hope that in the 2008 models Toyota finally decided to make a driver's seat HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT !! As it is now, the driver's seat is too low for short drivers and not low enough for tall drivers as myself. :mad:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I really doubt it. More likely the redesigned 2009 Prius will have new seats with more adjustment. Maybe not even then since Toyota chose to ignore all the complaints from day one. They may continue to be oblivious to this shortcoming even on the new model.

Even people who think the height is OK for their size complain about the non-adjustable seat angle with poor thigh support.
  • ctchrisctchris Member Posts: 4
    So what changes are coming to the 2008 Prius? Anyone know for sure? I was hoping for heated seats, and am geting conflicting messages about dealer-installation of these. One dealer told me that they can be easily installed, another said that it conflicts with the Prius electronics... have any of you have them done?
    In CT Hartford Toyota has the best attitude & price so far. No haggling: the Touring HI (#3) package is $1000 under sticker if in stock, $500 under if they need to locate from another dealer. The total with dealer conveyance, registration transfer is $25,513. This is without a trade-in. The salesman showed me cars on the lot & worked up the price in less than an hour, without all the ridiculous haggling & going back & forth to a mythical manager for approval. The only draw-back is having to wait a few weeks for the color/trim I want.
    As far as heated seats, I personally do NOT have them, but I have read numerous times on the PriusChat Forum that this aftermarket addition is done while "aftermarket leather" interior (seats, door panels, console, etc.) is installed, and has been done to many vehicles, obviously in the "colder" northern climate states.

I also have a "gut feeling" that in 2008 we will see a few color (exterior) changes, too, but just MY opinion with NO real fact to back this up.
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    Which car is quieter??
  • pulijalapulijala Member Posts: 3
    Anyone here bought a Prius Touring recently in Orlando? Prices they paid? Dealerships? I tried David Maus and they have very low inventory (2 regular on the lot w/Pkg 2)...

I'm trying to trade in my 04 manual TL (22K miles) and hoping to get an even trade OTD... but wondering if this is the right time to buy a Prius, with summer gas prices soaring and the Prius being in demand... should I wait till 'cooler' months for the inventory to go up for better deals?
  • nahreatnahreat Member Posts: 12
    I'm looking to pick up a '07 Prius (package 6) in the Washington DC area. Anyone know what I can expect to pay and can anyone recommend a dealership where they had a good buying experience. I hear it's difficult to get your hands on a Package 6 these days. I hate to give the dealers anymore leverage if the Pack 6 is so rare...
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    It's not a big deal to install heating in the seats. Cost I was quoted locally was around $500 per seat ($250 for the heaters, $250 labor). They are wired so they can't come on unless the car is in accy mode. They have no effect on the car's electronics.

As far as the 2008 model is concerned, I wouldn't expect any changes. Usually the year before a redesign Toyota doesn't change much. Maybe some package changes to generate more excitement. We expect a new model in 2009 or 2010.
    I'm trying to trade in my 04 manual TL (22K miles) and hoping to get an even trade OTD...

Good luck with the "trade".... we traded-in a mint condition, 2003 Acura MDX Touring w/towing package (never used), NAVI, brand new Michelin Cross-Terrain (OEM) tires and 57K miles. Not a scratch or ding on it. Leather still smelled new (non-smokers, no kids). Paid ~$45K for it new in Feb. '03 (Acura Dealer, Tampa) and got $19K trade two months ago from the Toyota Dealer in Tampa. They have it on their lot and it's NOT moving.... I "see" (internet) they have lowered it's asking price to almost what we got as trade and the PREMIUM FUEL VEHICLES are NOT selling at all, new or USED. :mad:
  • bandgbandg Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a Prius, Package 2, from Koon's Toyota in Arlington, Virginia, for $22,567 plus tax and tags. This was 8 hours ago. After hearing so many horror stories about car dealerships, we were amazed at our good experience. I can only speak for the salesmen we dealt with, who were all honest, reliable, knowledgable and genuinely *nice.* We were having a hard time finding a Red Prius, Package 2 in NJ, and this dealership located one, gave one of the best prices we found anywhere (we negotiated at the end of the month, which is generally better), had an accurate estimate of the time it would take to arrive (said 1-4 days, it arrived in 2 days), and the salespeople were never pushy. If you go here, I would ask for one of the following salespeople: Aladdin, Ali, or Gansori. Even the finance guy was on the up-and-up. If you go soon, tell them the NJ couple who just bought the red Prius sent you!
  • nahreatnahreat Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info and congrats on your new Prius! I'm getting the car for my wife and she is new to the area so we need the navigation (pkg 6). From what I could research online it looks like you got your Prius for just a few hundred over invoice? Sounds like a great deal and I think Koon's is the largest volume dealer in the area so they're more likely to deal? BTW if it's not too personal what kind of financing rate did you get?
  • pulijalapulijala Member Posts: 3
    florida_wen, you are absolutely right... I got a shock at Carmax when they gave me an even $20,000 estimate for my TL... Looks like I'm better of keeping it a bit longer (until the winter months maybe) and then sell it private party to get the best deal...
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    You are always better off selling to a private individual. You will never get what the books claim as wholesale. Dealers will beat you down to nothing or jack up the price of the car they are selling you. It is not uncommon to take a 50% loss in the first two years. If you are wanting to get rid of a fairly new car, more than likely no one else wants it either. That is a fine car. I would drive it till the wheels fall off. You will be WAY ahead over trading for an econobox you will probably hate driving.
  • amickeyamickey Member Posts: 25
    Memorial Day Sunday May2007: $22353 OTD
    KJ Springfield Toyota.
    #2 Silver.
    30 minutes meet & greet & handshake.
  • nypriusnyprius Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased (yesterday) Prius Base Model with Package 6 , added the Floor Mats & Cargo Area Matt and Rear Bumper Protection for 27,109.00 here in Orange County New York.
    Was told the car would take 4-8 weeks to come in.
    I think I will purchase the Platinum Toyota Extra Care someplace on line as the dealer wanted 1850.00. The 7 year 100K miles . Purchased at Johnston's Toyota In New Hampton, NY. ( Middletown Area )
    Hope This helps. :)
  • mehebubmehebub Member Posts: 5
    Is your price out the door?
  • nypriusnyprius Member Posts: 8
    I did not include the Sales Tax or the License Fees as these are different in each state.
    So, if you add your sales tax and fees it would be out the door.
    Hope This Helps
    My price in CT is out the door: we have no sales tax on hybrids!!! No haggling: the Touring HI (#3) package with Z1 (mats, cargo mat) is $1000 under sticker if in stock, $500 under if they need to locate from another dealer. The total with dealer conveyance, registration transfer is $25,513. Grant you, the car is on order, so they could try top stick me with something additional when I pick up the car, but that's what the order form says!
  • sri345sri345 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Ctchris,

I'm planning to buy Prius. I'm for CT and planning to register the vehicle in CT. I know that there is no sales tax on hybrid with more than 40 mpg.
    Do you have to pay the Property tax on the vehicle or is prius even exempt from property tax. I read some where that from 1st week of july 2007, there is a bill to exempt property taxes in CT on all hybrid ... Not sure if it is enacted. Can you tell me if you have to pay property tax.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Knowing I have an '04 Prius that looks just like all the newer ones makes me feel good about taking the plunge when I bought mine back in November of '03 for a pitence of $21,426.00 out the door. I still remember dealing with biting my lower lip when it came to paying straight "list." Now it seems to have proven itself a real bargain. I love the car, the color (blue), and the reliability while getting 45-53 mpg's.
    You know I always wished you well with your Prius. I'm glad you still like it. Have a good summer. You going to take any long trips in the Prius?
    Help me out guys, which do i buy..the prius or civic hybrid?
    ive read the problems about the civic transmission...and readout on the prius...?/..id enjoy feedback to help with my decision... seat comfort..quietness...etc...quietness is a big thing for me..i do so much driving i enjoy a serene environment..thx for the help

caaz
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    Honda Civic Hybrid vs Toyota Prius

Have at it!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Thanks for the friendly words of goodwill. Same to ya Gary. As to our travels ...We cover several medium trips to southern Indiana and are heading out to Atlanta next month to visit kids. The Prius now has about 63 K and general maintenance has proven par for a hybrid. My only complaint is the need to maintain wheel balance & alignment to keep tires as they should be. I had a vibration that was annoying and proved to be troublesome till finally corrected. I'm anxious to see and investigate the '08 or '09 Prius thats in the works. Our favorite mode of transportation is a cruise ship (not very fuel thrifty). Gotta love the pampered life the cruise companys lavish on their clientel. Retirement is so enjoyable (10 yrs). Yah, We're spoiled. I look back on my yrs on the railroad and miss the many good times. Enough of my meloncholy rememberances.
    I'm loving retirement also. Should have bailed a couple years earlier. Cruise ships are probably the best vacation bang for the buck. I don't think you will see any changes on the Prius until 2010 at least. They are selling well as they are. No reason to dump a winning horse.
    my dad got his automobile news magazine the other day....read me an article out of it....it said thier will no longer be a PRIUS..so dont be looking for a new one...Apparently, Toyota will build a 3rd hybrid...smaller than the prius...drop the camry name off that hybrid...and call the hybrids A B & C.....something to that nature....
  • pjo1966pjo1966 Member Posts: 157
    I had heard that as well, and I'm still scratching my head over it.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Even if that plan is true, they said there would be a new vehicle around the size of the Prius, plus one larger and one smaller car.
    People who are interested in a replacement Prius can just choose the middle sized car unless they want to upsize or downsize.
    It is more choices and no more afterthought hybrids with battery taking up most of the trunk space.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak to current or past Honda hybrid owners that now own a Toyota Prius or will be switching to one in the future. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than July 16, 2007 with your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• beachgirl1106beachgirl1106 Member Posts: 7
    I am debating on whether I should purchase a 2007 Prius now or wait for the 2008.

Does anyone know how it generally works with "pre-ordering" an automobile (since they don't come out until August/September)?

Do we know if the exterior colors are changing at all?
  • sendsleysendsley Member Posts: 10
    Hi -
    Looks like a solid deal. Do you have contact info (email) for your salesman? And is the $332 with tax (as in that's what you right the check for every month?) or do you actually pay $350 something monthly?

Did you discuss 12k per year by chance??

Thanks so much!

Scott
  • jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    In the market for a new Toyota? BEWARE of Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, Maryland. Recently I had a horrendous experience there. The long and the short of it is that they jerked me around on my trade-in by outright lying about its condition. And it wasn’t a “minor” lie that they tried to propagate. All of this was done to lowball my trade, I am sure. Why they couldn’t come out and tell me they would only offer X for it, and leave it at that, I don’t know. No, they took it one step further and manufactured a lie, a lie which took me the better part of a day to resolve, and in the process greatly upsetting my wife and I.
    These people are scum for doing that. I just wanted you to know.
    Avoid Jim Coleman Toyota of Bethesda, Maryland.
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Member Posts: 125
    Hey, lighten up a little. These people aren't under oath. Sure, they are trying to hustle you for some extra profit margin, but who isn't? Ever go into Best Buy or Circuit City and have the sales person try to sell you an extended warranty for $20 for a product you purchased for twenty bucks? It sure isn't worth getting upset about. It's just a car. Tell 'em to kiss off and find another dealer.
    You should put down a detailed account of your experience on this link. That will build a data base for others to check out dealers and their operations. The more information we have, the better to avoid unscrupulous businesses.

http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html
    I'm a pretty mellow fellow actually, and I am well schooled in dealer tricks, but this was a new twist. And very low down -- I've never seen a dealership stoop that low. Totally uncalled for. Normally I just brush their crap off, but this got to the core of when we bought this car, and the fact that we were sold "damaged" goods on a $35k vehicle, well sir, I beg to disagree -- I had every right to be a bit upset.

I've moved on. They still suck.
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Member Posts: 125
    Unless I missed a relevant post, you are raising a new issue here regarding some deception surrounding the condition of the vehicle you purchased. That indeed is something to get upset about. I hope it was ultimately resolved to your satisfaction. Agencies like these think they can operate like this with impunity, but they're not aware that the information age is upon us and news like this travels fast. Did you ever address this with the owner?
    There are a lot of righteous dealerships out there. Sorry you got stuck with the exception.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Go to our new Dealer Rater to post your sales or service review!
    I know this isn't quite the place for this, and I hope the moderator doesn't delete this (..please?!). This will be my last say on the matter:

You hit the deal on the head with "you are raising a new issue here regarding some deception surrounding the condition of the vehicle you purchased. That indeed is something to get upset about." That is exactly what they did. That is why this isn't just another "cheap trick" in their arsenal. It rises to a new level of lowness (hmm, does that make sense..?). :mad:

I sent bitter emails to key staff there once I satisfactorily sniffed out their deception/fraud. I got what I would call "non-answers". And no, I will not pursue this with them any more. I have no interested in giving them a chance to explain themselves (not that they could). I'm doing what I can to spread the word about this place though. :lemon: That's the only real weapon I have in this battle.

Funny thing is, if it were just about any of the other dealer tricks we've all endured, I would have laughed and moved on. No harm, no foul. That just wasn't the case here. :mad:
  • lifeisgood8lifeisgood8 Member Posts: 5
    Hi!

I'm ready to dump my gas-guzzling, leased Mercedes for a Prius. My last two cars were leased and I’ve become accustomed to being able to get a new car every 3 to 4 years without the hassle of repairs, depreciation of car value etc.

The car dealer faxed me the rate sheet and next week I go in to negotiate. I need to decide whether leasing a Prius is a good idea or not. (Hi CarMan! I read an earlier post where you cited concern over owning the Prius since it is relatively new in the marketplace – namely the potential high cost of replacing the battery.)

1st question: Is this a good deal? And where is there room to negotiate?
    Base Model - $22,175
    Package #6 - $4550
    Rear Bumper Applique (?) $65
    Wheel Locks (alloy) $65
    Preferred Acess Pkg. - $277
    Destination Charge - $620

Total $27,752

I live in Connecticut (06807) and there is no tax on the car.

2nd Question: All the dealers insist that buying is the way to go because Toyota isn’t offering a great lease deal. What are your thoughts?

Thanks a million!
    :) :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.