Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the Forum,

Take a vacation to So Ca and pick one up there. You may get a good deal in Phoenix also. I don't think the dealers in your area do the volume that other parts of the USA do. Dealers up around Washington DC, & Virginia are big on hybrids.

The TMV on a package #5 in San Diego is $24,908, about $800 over invoice.

PS
    I went to a North Electric school in Johnson City. That was in 1971. Spent 13 weeks there, nice area.
  • quixotic1quixotic1 Member Posts: 23
    Try this dealer in Asheville,NC. www.jimbarkleytoyota.com. They discount the Prius. I bought my TCH at invoice through Harrelson toyota in Rockhill SC after much haggling. Maybe try them too. Good luck!
  • echoparkgirlechoparkgirl Member Posts: 8
    North Electric School--what type of school is it? Johnson City is a well-hidden secret to most of the country,

I wish I could travel to southern calif. Maybe around Christmas time.

The TMV --is that for a 2007? As they phase out 2007 models, is it possible to get one for less than the TMV?

Thanks a bunch.

echoparkgirl :shades:
    I will give the two dealers you mention a try. Asheville is only about 50 miles away--I did not see any inventory there--but I will try.

Thanks.

I am having the same experience here in northeast Tennessee--the dealers actually want about $2500 over MSRP for 2007 models at a time when Toyota.com is advertising a clearance sale of the 2007s. I also am looking for package 5. Maybe you and I can negotiate for 2 of them at a rock-bottom price--there are many in California.

It is surprising that the dealers won't budge when you consider that the gas prices have been lower for a couple of months, and people may be less anxious to get a hubrid.

Are you getting the quotes on the internet or on the lot? The internet people I have dealt with are not budging. I wonder if I went to a lot or two with the money in hand ready to buy--would they be more ready to budge?

Also, one dealer told me other dealers usually include the destination charge in with the taxes. Anyone had this experience?

North Electric built telephone equipment in a big factory out by Gray Station. They went out of business several years ago. I rented a condo on Boone Lake while I was there. Traveled that whole area on weekends. Put 13,000 miles on a Vega wagon that I rented from Budget at the airport.

Keep trying different Internet sales. Don't accept much over Invoice especially on a 2007 Prius. Using the Internet is far superior to doing it in person. You need to let them know up front you are NOT coming into the store without an offer by email. They will jack you around for a while until they see you are serious. It is much better to be frustrated sitting at home than in a little cubicle at the car dealer.
    Jim Barkley is showing 9 Prius in stock as of today. They also show their prices and do not charge dealer fees.

View Page 1
    Model Year Model Exterior Color Interior Available MSRP Selling Price
    2007 Gas/Electric Sedan (CVT) - 1224 Silver Pine Mica Bisque Leather Immediately $27,672 $26,718
    2007 Gas/Electric Sedan (CVT) - 1224 Driftwood Pearl Bisque Immediately $26,677 $25,671
    2007 Gas/Electric Sedan (CVT) - 1224 Barcelona Red Metallic Dark Gray Immediately $23,697 $23,141
    2007 Gas/Electric Sedan (CVT) - 1224 Seaside Pearl Bisque Immediately $26,481 $25,645
    2007 Gas/Electric Sedan (CVT) - 1224 Silver Pine Mica Dark Gray 08/13/07 $23,697 $23,135
    2007 Gas/Electric Sedan (CVT) - 1224 Super White Dark Gray Leather 08/13/07 $27,939 $26,896
    2007 Gas/Electric Sedan (CVT) - 1224 Super White Dark Gray 08/15/07 $23,697 $23,141
    2007 Gas/Electric Sedan (CVT) - 1224 Classic Silver Metallic Dark Gray 08/24/07 $26,677 $25,671
    2007 Gas/Electric Sedan (CVT) - 1224 Barcelona Red Metallic Dark Gray Leather 08/24/07 $27,672 $26,718
    I had no idea of North Electric. I live near Boone Lake in Gray. It is a beautiful area. 13,000 miles on a rental is quite a bit of miles on a rental. Better a rental than your own car.

I agree with you about what to take and not take on a Prius 2007. I will keep trying different dealers. I sent an email to the Asheville dealer, per the suggestion of someone else (I think), and no response. As far as dealer cubicles go, I get going when they get obnoxious.

I saw an advertised used 2004 Prius with 42,000 miles selling here for $18,000. That seems expensive for a 4 year old car. :shades:
    Aren't these cars about $2500 over invoice? Do you think these cars are a good deal? My conscience will not let me pay $2500 for a 2007 when the 2008 are due out in a couple of weeks. What is your reasoning?

I sent his dealership an email on the super white leather and have not received a response all day. :shades:
    I have found that the Internet sales people are pretty much Mon-Fri. I have seldom gotten a response in less than 48 hours. They get so many inquiries that it takes a lot of time to answer all the questions. Keep hitting them. Just because they do not have what you want on their inventory does not mean they cannot get it.
    Most of these cars are 1k under list. There are no dealer fees. I think if you call them you can cut a little better deal. Keep in mind that dealers in NC pay the SE toyota surcharge of about $700. I thought you said everybody in your area is at list price and you are looking for a better deal. I agree maybe you should wait for the '08 or buy in Tennessee if you can find a better deal as they do not pay the surcharge. The prices Asheville is quoting include the surcharge. It seems as though the better deals are on the Camry Hybrid. They are offering the 50th anniversary at cost if you add the surcharge in. I own this model and love it. Good luck.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I'm trying to buy a Prius in Arizona. The phoenix dealers are starting off a few hundred above MSRP and then coming down to MSRP when I challenge them. Tucson dealers are willing to be $500 under MSRP- but of course, don't have the color/option package I'm looking for.

How do I search dealer inventories in SoCal? And- Where are these dealers that are more than $1K below?

thx in advance
  • sveasvea Member Posts: 1
    Not sure how you'd search California inventory other than going to the Toyota website, discovering their dealer websites, and then visiting those. Probably they're not totally up to date though. You could send 3 or so emails at a time and ask them, I suppose, through cars.com or whatever.
    In Oregon, I've been scouting for an option 2 2007 Prius. The dealers started off a bit under MSRP, at about $23300-$23200. They are only going down $100 at a time (tedious, but maybe that's normal?). So now I am down to $22900. Maybe the cars are scarcer in the Oregon & Arizona markets?
  • carlstraubcarlstraub Member Posts: 50
    Go to Toyota website or better yet Edmunds.com.
    Put in So. Cal zip code.
    Then email/call dealers with a FIRM offer. You will buy tomorrow if they will sell @ the price you desire. YEA or NAY
    For So. Cal a good zip is 90210 (Beverly Hills). The San Diego area would be good as well.
    Longo Toyota now has 52 (according to website).
    Carl
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I've got a couple dealers at $1000 below MSRP at this point, and one (so far) at almost $1500 below MSRP.

they talk a good story about how they are selling every prius they can get their hands on for MSRP. But- when it comes time to close a deal, they're ready to move a bit not to lose the sale.

so- no issue on price any more. Just getting my wife to pick the color.
  • wpgradbillwpgradbill Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 2007 Prius yesterday in Northern Virginia where there are numerous dealers, all of which are competing to sell out as many Prius and Camry Hybrid models as possible before the 2007 supply line dries up. I took about 4 hours to shop around on line at three dealers and asked each, via e-mail to give me his best "out-the-door price" on a Package #2 (i.e., including 3.2% taxes, $65 tags, and $289 processing fee). Their OTD prices ranged from $22,154 to $23,018. I added the floor and cargo mats for an additional $181. They threw in an Auto4Life™ LIFETIME powertrain service contract for free. Love the car. I'm averaging 46.7 mpg on the first 83 miles I put on it since picking it up yesterday.
  • mehebubmehebub Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody have the contact for the person dealing with extended warranties for the Prius. Am looking for the 7 yr platinum package
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Member Posts: 125
    Toyota of Greenfield, Greenfield, Massachusetts. You can Google it for contact information. In any event, I would suggest avoiding 3rd party warranties in favor of the Toyota product. You can buy it in a variety of packages with respect to years, mileage and deductibles. The 7 year product seems to be the most Two things to remember:

1. The warranty piggybacks on the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. So the 7 year extended warranty is for all practical purposes, really a 4 year warranty.

2. You can purchase the extended warranty any time up to the expiration of the basic 3 year warranty.

You can expect to pay around $1000 for a 7 year 100,000 mile 0 deductible warranty which amounts to a $250 premium for the coverage. On the one hand, it seems like a reasonable price for extended coverage. On the other hand, the Prius has an enviable record for reliability and I wonder what percentage of Prius owners ever have to use the extended coverage.
  • mehebubmehebub Member Posts: 5
    I was told by the dealer that the Platinum provides over and above the bumper-to-bumper 36K warranty. There were items in black that the 36K covered and there were items in red that the36K did not cover but the platinum would cover. Also is the warranty from Mass good in Ca?
  • greycat64greycat64 Member Posts: 9
    If anyone is looking to purchase a car in the Philadelphia, PA area, you should be able to get at least $1800 off the MRSP on a silver base Prius package 4 from Conicelli in Conshohocken (www.conicelli.com). The VIN is: JTDKB20U673282008.
    Why? They offered me a deal of $800 off the MRSP. I asked if I could put a deposit down to reserve the deal so I could think about it. Well, long story short, they took the $1000 deposit and slipped a non-refundable clause into the paperwork. (Foolish me for not reading all the papers carefully. Buyer beware.) They flat out refused to return my deposit (I think they were particularly ticked that I bought a car from a competitor -for many reasons.) So they made a $1000 without even selling the car. I just wanted to make sure that someone hopefully will benefit from this.
    No, the dealer is shining you on. The extended warranty piggybacks on the 36K warranty except for one minor additional benefit involving paying overnight sleeping costs for having warranty work done. Is the Mass warranty good in California? The answer is unequivocally yes if you are talking about the Toyota Platinum warranty. It is sold as an independent commodity from the vehicle and dealers are free to get whatever they can convince the customer it is worth. Some dealers nail customers as much as $2000 for exactly the same policy Greenfield sells for about half that much.
    For openers, why would anyone want to do business on any basis with a dealer that is this sleazy?

Getting your deposit back should be no problem. Make up a placard that says:

THESE PEOPLE CHEATED MY DADDY OUT OF $1000

and have your kid, (or some other little kid) walk back and forth on the street outside the dealership. You'll get your deposit back so fast it will make your head swim.

BTW, the fact that the forfeiture may be legally defensible doesn't validate it as an acceptable business practice and I would file a complaint with the local better business bureau, and Toyota HQ. I'd also see if you can get a local newspaper or TV station involved.
    Yes, they are sleazy nasty rats but I would still like someone to get the $1000 savings.

I did lodge a complaint with Toyota HQ. I haven't posted one to the BBB yet. I also filed a dealer review here.

I haven't contacted the media or made any bigger noise because I feel very stupid about signing that clause. Needless to say, I will not make the same mistake ever again.
  • jamesdujamesdu Member Posts: 6
    I was going to wait for 08, but need a car to work, so pick up a prius package #2 with 7 mile, the deal was super quick, I just picked up the phone and was lucky to talk to a very very helpful sales rep, in 5 mins , made the deal, 21400, which was 500-600 below invoice. drove there and got the car home in less than 2 hours..
    maybe it's not best deal compared to the price 2-3 month ago when toyota had rebate on prius. but I think it's a very good deal and I'm very very happy.

anybody want my sales rep info, let me know

y
  • campdoggcampdogg Member Posts: 2
    jamesdu,
    That would be great if you could let me know the dealer. I'm in the Atl area and prices are nowhere near that good. Considering having my inlaws purchase one in So Cal and drive it out.

Thanks.
    campdogg,
    the mod here does not allow posting names etc. you have to let me know your email so that I can email you.
    Y
    campdogg,

email sent, good luck
    y
  • campdoggcampdogg Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! Enjoy your new Prius!
    What makes you think they'll pass the $1000 deposit credit on to the next prospective buyer? For all we know, they'll put the same clause in his/her preliminary sales agreement and nail them for the same amount if the transaction isn't completed. This outfit may make more profit off cancellations than sales!
    With the hope that knowledge is power. Plus they would be very careful about signing any little boxes.

I did open a report with the local BBB but at this point, I'm not expecting much.

My next post will be about my actual purchase.

** Update - Possible happy ending?
    I finally swallowed my pride and I contacted my credit card company. I was told that since I did not receive any goods and I informed them of my decision within 3 days, I should not have to lose my deposit. So they are crediting me the money and now the dealership will have 45 days to dispute this.
    This is the other side of the story from my tale of woe: Dealer Kept My Deposit.

I'm glad that I went with the dealer I bought from (location outside the Phila, PA area). Although this comes nowhere close to some of the prices posted here.

What I bought: 2007 Silver Base Prius with Package 5 and Preferred Accessory Package

With the $660 dest charge: $25,796.27

7 yr Platinum extended warranty with $0 deductible: $1090 ( I know, I know. But I get greater peace of mind. I work with a lot of technology and I know how they can fail.)

Trade in(00 Ford Focus SE): $3200

6% sales tax: 1421.18

Dealer's fee: $132.95

OTD $25240.40 Cash sale (I got the financing in advance.)

1 1/2 weeks after the purchase, I received a check in the mail for $35.45. The reason given was that they didn't need to do everything the dealer's fee covered! I never heard of that before. So the dealer's fee ended up to be under $100. New OTD $25204.95.
  • gastergaster Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys,

I am in Souterhn Cal and would also like the salesman's name - how would I e-mail my e-mail address to you. Sorry, I'm a bit o a newby here.

Thanks
    I guess, you can try....to open up your profile here, so that I can see your email. after you got my email, you change your profile to private, if you prefer. hope this helps
  • priuspriuspriusprius Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and am thinking about purchasing an 07 prius. I was qouted $22,062 (not incl taxes & fees) for an 07 prius with pkg#2 incl floor mats from the internet dept. Is this a good deal? I was told the invoice price is $22,100.

Also what is a fair price for an extended warranty? Should I even purchase this from the dealer or can I get it elsewhere?
  • socalredsocalred Member Posts: 6
    I would like the information as I am in same area and am ready to purchase. Thanks for your help in advance.
  • bjcarterbjcarter Member Posts: 28
    That seems like a pretty fair price. You could probably haggle down a few hundred dollars but otherwise you're in the right neighborhood. I paid 24.5 OTD in the NoCal in March (during the low interest rate deal). That roughly translates into your offer of 22.1K.
  • brian4610brian4610 Member Posts: 1
    I hate to be 'one of these guys' but i'm curious to see what kind of "cash back" or "Bonuses" some of you may have recieved?

I'm interested in an '07 prius, with the #4 package...the website quoted a 25,502...i've seen 'bonuses' range from 600-2000, depending on what package you've picked....any experience with this?

also, i'm wondering how to negotiate the deal....i have a trade in, that i owe 6k on, but the Blue Book says that i could privatly sell it for $8500...obviously the dealership isn't going to give me what i want for the car, but i was hoping they would give me some for the trade in, and then knock off the remainder from the sticker? think that would work?

I want to pay 350-375 a month on a 5 year loan....with nothing but my car as a Down Payment....

thanks for the help.
  • socalredsocalred Member Posts: 6
    I purchased my 2007 Black, Standard Prius yesterday from Toyota of Riverside for $21,695. With mats and cargo net. I took "jamesdu's" price paid of $21,400 for package #2 and made this offer to 6 Toyota Dealers via Internet Inquiry on Sunday morning. I got back a quote of $21,495 from Riverside. I got a call from Corona but they would not get near this this price. San Bernardino sent "Your special Internet/Fleet Price: $22,734.00." Moreno Valley and Redlands sent back a form email saying they'd get back to me and never did. Toyota of Temecula replied with "Thanks for the inquiry but we wouldn't be interested in selling a Prius for less than invoice." When I called Riverside, they said they had made a mistake and then sent "YOUR SPECIAL PRICE: 21,895 (400 OVER INVOICE.)" We then argued a bit and he came down to $21,695-no package. I cannot say whether the salesman actually made a mistake or not but no one else was going to entertain anything near this price so I drove down and was in and out in less than 2 hours. And, the guy was really nice and did not try to talk me into anything else, which was perfect since I just wanted to just get in and out of there. I had been at the Temecula Toyota dealer twice in the past year and had my fill of salesmen. I didn't get quite the deal as a couple of people here but I'm very happy...I love this car.
    In my area (eastern PA), I felt lucky getting under MSRP, never mind above invoice. (Although I freely admit that I am not a good haggler.) I envy you folks in CA. However, at the end of the day, loving the car is what is important. And I never had so much fun trying to tone down my aggressive driving!
    mine was 21400 including package #2 and floor mats, I also got $400 graduate rebate from toyota, so my final it's 21000. he also gave me 3-4 tanks of gas (I can come in to fill up gas up to 4 times).

anybody want his info, must somehow leave your email ...
  • dctravelerdctraveler Member Posts: 3
    which dealer had the best price -- who would you recommend?
  • amirkamirk Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I am looking to purchase a prius and havent been able to find dealers that have any in stock - i am in Nashville right now and will be travelling to Tampa this week - is anyone here from around nashville or tampa and got a prius there?

Here sometimes dealers get one or two prius and charge msrp at minimum -
  • davidweidavidwei Member Posts: 1
    Hi James,
    Can you send me your dealer's information too?
    Thanks.

-David
  • gastergaster Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jamesdu,

I have put my e-mail address into my profile. Let me know if you can't read it and thanks again for your help.
  • pdonpdon Member Posts: 1
    The following information was emailed to me by a sales rep near Seattle. She was making the point that her invoice price is $21,831. She offered me a price of $22,300. It seems odd that the invoice price she claims is considerably higher than that reported on the Edmunds.com site. Can anyone explain why this is? Does $22,300. sound like a reasonable price?

thanks,

Retail Dealer
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 22325.00 $ 19889.00
    50 State Emissions .........................
    15" Alloy Wheels ...
    with Trim Ring; Tonneau Cover; Seatback ....
    Pockets. The price of this option is .......
    included within the base vehicle MSRP ......
    above. .....................................
    Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat .............. 199.00 126.00
    --------- --------- ---------
    Total Accessories ...........................: $ 199.00 $ 126.00
    Destination Charge ..........................: $ 660.00 $ 660.00
    TDA .........................................: $ 477.00
    Gasoline ....................................: $ 10.00
    Dealer Holdback .............................: $ 446.00
    Whsl. Financial Reserve .....................: $ 223.00
    --------- ---------
    Total .......................................: $23184.00 $ 21831.00
  • nm_socalnm_socal Member Posts: 29
    Jamesdu / Any other RPPPO ("Recent Prius Purchasor and Proud Owner"!!):

Could anyone please send me contact information for a dealer in Southern California where I can obtain the best price? I am looking at package #2.

My email is included in my profile. Thanks.
  • nm_socalnm_socal Member Posts: 29
    Friends:

This does not seem to make sense. New cars are going for $21-25k, while used ones from 2004 with comparable options are being listed in autotraders within $17-22k range.

This makes the 3-yr residual for cars bought in 2004 at over 80%. That seems believable for a Toyota (or a Honda for that matter). But why is the residual value on new Prius's as low as 52-54% (as reported by other posters)?

Does it mean that the resale values of today's cars, after three years (2010-2011), would be substantially lower, when the new generation of hyrids (80-100 mpg) hits the market?

If this is true, then, for those who can afford to defer their decision by a year or so, does it make sense to wait?

Please advise. My lease ends in a month ... I love the car, despite its heavy fuel consumption, which forces me to actively consider a hybrid ... but I'm concerned about how much value I might lose in 3-4 years. Is there anyone with access to a crystal ball???

Thanks in advance,
    NM
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You are comparing prices 2007s are "going for" with "list prices" of used ones. Some used cars with HOV stickers in some areas are holding much higher resale value, but that will not be forever because the HOV stickers will expire in a few years.
    The asking prices on used cars at dealerships are usually much higher than the selling prices. KBB full retail on a used car is not a realistic selling price. It is the starting point of negotiations.
    Resale will probably be lower in the future than in the past because of more supply and the expiration of HOV stickers in a few years.
    Tax credits are also getting lower or going away.
  • srm1srm1 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone, in any state, recommend their dealer? I am looking for an honest or at least reputable dealership that will not rip me off for a standard 2007 Prius with package number 2 and mats.

This weekend I went to 4 dealerships in Miami, Fl. I thought the sleazy dealers were a thing of the past. Here are SOME of their lies: the window sticker base price is the price paid by the dealer, all cars come only with package number 5, package number 2 cost $1199 (not $850 as advertised on the Toyota site), the 2007 cars on the lot are not leftovers since 2008 cars will not be available until December, $22,500 is the dealers-paid base price without options. That dealer agreed on a price after 40 minutes of negation and changed it on the sales ticket. It was a horrible experience…..each one grabbed our license and one even wanted a credit card as proof we were serious. Every psychological tactics was used to detain us, wear us down, and to confuse us.

With each case…..the cars were around 24,800 for what should be 22,500-23,000. Now as I read your prices….even that would have been too much.

So, I am willing to travel out of FL to any dealership you recommend. I like Toyota’s Prius but the feeling of being swindled has us thinking about other car makers.

Regards, srm
  • shortcodeshortcode Member Posts: 2
    Your info is very helpful. Could you tell me the
    OTD (out the door) price with the Package (#2?) and who was your salesman?
    I've been inquiring this past week at several dealerships.
This discussion has been closed.