Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,740
    What the heck does the MKS have to do with the Edge? Or were you confusing it with the MKX? From that standpoint I agree that the extra doodads on the MKX might not be worth the extra $5K, but I'll have to drive both before I decide.

I know, I know - the letters suck.
    The 2007 Camry may come close, in features as well as price. But not the others. Assuming we're talking about the MKZ. It has more power than all but the Camry and lots of features the others don't have like heated and cooled front seats.

If it was really overpriced they wouldn't be selling them in 19 days with minimal incentives.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,915
    only 2320 miles? Wow, that's low for any car, even a lincoln. ;) my '91 stang has about 32k on it. i thought that was low miles.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Gotta agree with you. 19 days sure isn't long on the lot. ;)

Rocky
    You will find demo Zephyrs with more miles on em'. ;)

Rocky
    First Drive: 2007 Lincoln Navigator L

The Navigator gets all up in its own grille

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=117518?tid=edm- unds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

Rocky
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Depends on the output. Perhaps we are talking a low production vehicle. It looks OK I guess, so people will buy it. Like people have said here, most people do not know the difference between FWD, anti-lock brakes- stability control or most features. They just buy something which looks rich and has a name. Lincoln is not all that bad a car. Can't say it is not something for some people to consider. Comes into an crowded field of players though, being FWD based car. For AWD, I think I would go Subaru or Audi. In the Ford line, I best dollar value may be the FiveHundred AWD. Slooooow selling, I bet discounts on last years models will be good ones.
    -Loren
    I thought Lincoln was a car company. Looks like they are a mini-van maker like Chrysler now, and a SUV selling company with Lincoln badges on those trucks -- whoopie. And a truck, oh my ! :blush: Just the thing I look for in car museums are Lincoln trucks / vans.

Yes, I know, The Cayenne Porsche helped save the day financially.
    I beg to differ Loren, the MKX isn't a minivan. The MKX, is a luxurious cross-over utility vehical or also referred to as a CUV, which has become one of the hottest segments in the auto market. :P

Rocky

P.S. Agree with your comment on the Mark LT, Ford could of done more with it !!! :mad:
    Let's see when I was around that age, I saw the very first Mustangs on car show night. All the dealers papered up the windows, and moved the latest American cars to show. So on one night, the whole town got to see the new models and walk from dealer to dealer to see the cool stuff. Corvettes were cool,as were a Mustangs and Corvairs... well by '65 they were, then there was the late 60's when the really hot cars came into the show rooms. Wow, what years. Let me think back when I was 11. I guess the '65 Mustang, Jaguar XKE, MGB, Corvette, Buick Riviera (or was that '65?) , anything Italian, Porsche, are a few that come to mind as dream cars of my youth @ 11. And then later on there was the ride I got to take in a Toronado. Amazing looks for its time.

I owned an '85 Stang, but it was a dog -- yes the four banger. Don't ask. As for comfort, it was good. Gas mileage of 30MG freeway-not bad. Gee, I could'a had a V8

As for Lincoln, the Towncar with the last rectangular build still looks richer to me. The MarkVIII was awesome looking. Continental I am less impressed with. Some of the modern day renditions were OK, but I am leaning towards GM Caddy in the FWD cars. Today's FWD Lincolns are most likely the best offered.
    -Loren
    If it flying like a duck, waddles like a duck and by gosh looks like a duck, it's a duck. Cross-over, cross-dressers, the world remains the same. :P
    -Loren
    Man you were 11 yrs. old back when FDR was president.... Cool.... :P

My GM, working grandpa owned a used 1988 Lincoln Continental, and even I back in the day loved that car. It had the softest most comfy cloth seats. :)

Rocky
    Loren, Ummmmmmmm, NO :P

CUV, are like the best of both worlds. You get most of the passenger space, fuel economy, of a minivan, with the utility of a SUV. The Buick Enclave and MKX will be the best examples on the market of what a modern CUV, should be. ;)

Rocky
  • Except that the MKX is a poor copy of the Lexus RX300 which has been on the market for nearly a decade.

The MKX is hardly "the best example on the market of what a modern CUV, should be."
    I always thought Lexus considered the RX300 as a sport utility ? :confuse:

Rocky
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,164
    Lexus would consider it a dynamic and exciting off road machine...but it's a tall Camry...
  • You're the one spouting off definitions with such authority, and declaring what "best examples" are, how is the MKX NOT a copy of an RX 300/350?

Are they different in any substantive way?
    Not really but like Fintail, said Lexus would claim something different just to spout off their uniqueness

Rocky
    So they are more rugged, built with a frame under that body? Able to cross streams, climb mountains, and ride over curbs downtown? Or alas, just another different looking mini-van.
    -Loren
    Loren,

that isn't what a CUV, is and you know better. They are a on-road passenger and cargo hauler. Roomier, they are also more stable than a minivan, and in alot of cases have AWD/4x4 to beat the snow. They also to some degree can tow small trailer loads.

Rocky :P
  • Roomier than a minivan?!?!?!

Yeah, that's the ticket.

You should stick to telling everyone how wonderful the MKS is that you have on order.
    Roomier than a minivan?!?!?!

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Is your only objective to bash everything I say. I always kid around with Loren, and he knows that. :confuse:

You should stick to telling everyone how wonderful the MKS is that you have on order.

I happen to like the MKS alot, if you don't then fine. I might order one when they become available. It all depends on what happens in my future plans. I'm buying the 90' Stang, to cure my new car fever for awhile. I won't have a car payment, thus I can concentrate on buying a new home and can spend a little more on it. If my future goes the way I hope I will pay off my home early and then I can have about any luxury car I want within reason. My wife and I talked a great deal and both agreed a bigger, new home is more important than a luxury car right now. We can get the luxury car or SUV later if we choose. The Mustang, is also something I plan on keeping for the rest of my life and if I bought a new car I'd get rid of it with 3-5 years and want something new. Actually that is a waste of money. It makes more dollars and sense to go this route for right now. However in a couple of years I might go down to the Lincoln or Cadillac, dealership and buy a all-new MKS, or CTS-V. Both cars will be available in their first model run in 2009' anyways. Well thats what I've read. The wife wants a Caddy or Lincoln SUV or Truck. The boss actually should at least once get to pick a new car out. :surprise:

Rocky
    Just buy a used or close-out CTS, when everyone will be beating down the showroom doors to have the latest new look to the CTS. If that means a lose to the arts & science look, great -- buy the first rendition and let the others have the compromised design. It would be the keeper.
    As for Mustangs, the 2004 GT was 40th anniversary year, and the last of the Fox body, and the last made in Dearborn Michigan. I would consider that year, as well as the '99 model. And then there is the '95, which is the last of the 5.0 engines..... well for now it is. The ol' pushrod. And Rocky will be seen in his 7UP Mustang, unless Jeff Gordon runs him over in his Pepsi Monte Carlo. :D

Rocky, how about a Chrysler 300C, if HP is your thing. That things gotta Hemi.
    -Loren
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,774
    I'd worry about where Ford is taking Ford! ;)

Good to see you Loren. Hadn't located you since the original GM board went bye-bye!
    Just buy a used or close-out CTS, when everyone will be beating down the showroom doors to have the latest new look to the CTS. If that means a lose to the arts & science look, great -- buy the first rendition and let the others have the compromised design. It would be the keeper.

Loren, I like the exterior but the interior is gawd awful in my eyes. It reminds me of one of those art work pieces where if you look hard enough at the picture you are suppose to be able to make out the image, if that makes any sense. I use to get a headache trying to see the image. Well the CTS's interior angles kind of give me that same sort of headache, because Stevie Wonder, must of funded the school of the blind interior design studio, and their first project bid was awarded by Cadillac, for the current CTS. :P Outside of that I like it. I'm glad many other also do. ;)

As for Mustangs, the 2004 GT was 40th anniversary year, and the last of the Fox body, and the last made in Dearborn Michigan. I would consider that year, as well as the '99 model. And then there is the '95, which is the last of the 5.0 engines..... well for now it is. The ol' pushrod.

I thought 1993' was the last of the Fox body's ? :confuse:

The 1994-2004 Mustang's even though I inherited one via marriage never impressed me all that much. I did almost buy a 5.0 1994 though at a car auction. However ol' Betsy, in my garage sure has been a good car to me.

And Rocky will be seen in his 7UP Mustang, unless Jeff Gordon runs him over in his Pepsi Monte Carlo. :D

He might at first, but not after I get done with re working the engine and suspension. ;) - The Fox body's are ultra-light and a little bit of power goes a long way. Perhaps a turbo kit ? something, I just haven't decided yet or thought that far. Regardless that will be down the road though if I decide to not leave it stock. I might be better off keeping it as original as possible and only add a chip/programmer to it since it is in collectors car condition. Only 2320 miles. It might be the lowest mileage 7-UP 5-speed in the country ? I just don't know. I did see a automatic one with only 9 miles on it in plastic selling for over $30K.

The First thing will be finding a factory CD player, like from a 93'. Got see if it will fit first ? I will then upgrade the audio. I will basically get rid of the 1990' speakers and put in some modern speaker technology like maybe a Rockford Fosgate, set or along those lines. Nothing major, because I want to keep it as stock as possible but something with a lil' more clarity and power, to bump some Vanilla Ice- Rollin' in my 5.0- :P :blush: J/K

Rocky, how about a Chrysler 300C, if HP is your thing. That things gotta Hemi.
    -Loren

I like I said under the new Chrysler, forum am not impressed with Hemi, or anything Chrysler. GM, and Ford, offer way more car for the money IMHO. I haven't seen a Chrysler I've liked since the Dodge Stealth Twin Turbos and even those were made to order by Mitsubishi. :sick:

Lincoln, at least has some progress. The Lincoln MKZ, is a heck of a car for the money and IMHO out shines even the most loaded 300C. The 300C doesn't even have as much technology as the last generation Caddy Seville's Whoopie they have MDS that shuts off 4 cylinders. So now instead of getting 16 mpg, I can get 18 mpg ? :surprise: I'm still scratching my head that some Magazines said this was the savior to the domestic RWD large car segment. The most technological thing on the car is heated seats ? For real... come DCX !!! Lincoln, at least is making some "Bold Moves" with the MKX, Navigator, and soon to come MKS. We might even get a Lincoln Continental at some point in the future. Is Chrysler, going to counter with the Imperial ? Well unless that car gets the 425 hp. Hemi at 8 mpg along w/ a 5 speed auto it will have Chin-E Smarts blowing its doors off due to it pork. The websites I've read are saying a 345 hp hemi as the base. I also didn't see any "Gadgetology" sprinkled down from Mercedes, for it either :confuse: However it was the best interior execution from Chrysler, to date. :surprise: I personally think Chrysler, at some point could be put out to pasture by Mercedes, leaving Lincoln and Cadillac, to collect the domestic luxury car spoils. If Cadillac, doesn't get there act together soon they won't be to far behind. Cadillac's biggest problem is their current product doesn't reflect the price. If it wasn't for my GM discount, I don't think I would even look that way. Why ? Well like I said Lincoln, like Acura, is delivering class leading technology, quality, cutting edge design, for a whole heck of alot less money. Sure they might share platforms with other Ford brands, but as long as the product can save a customer $7-15K over a comparable Cadillac, what the heck do they care ? I'm afraid GM, will skimp on Gadgetology for the 08' CTS, to keep the bean counters happy. That is when Lincoln will move in for the kill on the 2009' MKZ 3.7 V-6 Twin Turbo w/ AWD ;) Go ahead and laugh now, but don't say I didn't warn you GM. Your history unfortunately predicts the future. I hope I'm wrong and you can compete with Lincoln, Lexus. Lincoln, has already show in' its future hands and to the future consumer they are all "royal flushes". :D

Lincoln- does Reach Higher :shades:

Rocky
    tlong, yeah I miss the ol' GM board. I even miss the ol' Ford board. :sick:

Rocky
    Loren,

I want you to go take these three vehicals for a spin or sit inside of them sometime in the future for the heck of it when you go look at cars for fun.

MKZ, Navigator, MKX

Rocky

P.S. I will do the same. I wished you lived closer by so we could have debates over which car is better. :P
    More likely we won't, since there is not any proposal for that.

I didn't realize you were on Ford's engineering team and knew exactly what they were working on.
  • Oh, sorry Boss, I should have consulted you first.

I didn't realize double-secret proposals that have never been mentioned anywhere in public counted as vehicles we might see soon. (insert several cartoons of choice, here)