Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Let's see when I was around that age, I saw the very first Mustangs on car show night. All the dealers papered up the windows, and moved the latest American cars to show. So on one night, the whole town got to see the new models and walk from dealer to dealer to see the cool stuff. Corvettes were cool,as were a Mustangs and Corvairs... well by '65 they were, then there was the late 60's when the really hot cars came into the show rooms. Wow, what years. Let me think back when I was 11. I guess the '65 Mustang, Jaguar XKE, MGB, Corvette, Buick Riviera (or was that '65?) , anything Italian, Porsche, are a few that come to mind as dream cars of my youth @ 11. And then later on there was the ride I got to take in a Toronado. Amazing looks for its time.

I owned an '85 Stang, but it was a dog -- yes the four banger. Don't ask. As for comfort, it was good. Gas mileage of 30MG freeway-not bad. Gee, I could'a had a V8

As for Lincoln, the Towncar with the last rectangular build still looks richer to me. The MarkVIII was awesome looking. Continental I am less impressed with. Some of the modern day renditions were OK, but I am leaning towards GM Caddy in the FWD cars. Today's FWD Lincolns are most likely the best offered.
    -Loren
    If it flying like a duck, waddles like a duck and by gosh looks like a duck, it's a duck. Cross-over, cross-dressers, the world remains the same. :P
    -Loren
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Man you were 11 yrs. old back when FDR was president.... Cool.... :P

My GM, working grandpa owned a used 1988 Lincoln Continental, and even I back in the day loved that car. It had the softest most comfy cloth seats. :)

Rocky
    Loren, Ummmmmmmm, NO :P

CUV, are like the best of both worlds. You get most of the passenger space, fuel economy, of a minivan, with the utility of a SUV. The Buick Enclave and MKX will be the best examples on the market of what a modern CUV, should be. ;)

Rocky
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Except that the MKX is a poor copy of the Lexus RX300 which has been on the market for nearly a decade.

The MKX is hardly "the best example on the market of what a modern CUV, should be."
    I always thought Lexus considered the RX300 as a sport utility ? :confuse:

Rocky
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Lexus would consider it a dynamic and exciting off road machine...but it's a tall Camry...
    You're the one spouting off definitions with such authority, and declaring what "best examples" are, how is the MKX NOT a copy of an RX 300/350?

Are they different in any substantive way?
    Not really but like Fintail, said Lexus would claim something different just to spout off their uniqueness

Rocky
    So they are more rugged, built with a frame under that body? Able to cross streams, climb mountains, and ride over curbs downtown? Or alas, just another different looking mini-van.
    -Loren
    Loren,

that isn't what a CUV, is and you know better. They are a on-road passenger and cargo hauler. Roomier, they are also more stable than a minivan, and in alot of cases have AWD/4x4 to beat the snow. They also to some degree can tow small trailer loads.

Rocky :P
    Roomier than a minivan?!?!?!

Yeah, that's the ticket.

You should stick to telling everyone how wonderful the MKS is that you have on order.
    Roomier than a minivan?!?!?!

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Is your only objective to bash everything I say. I always kid around with Loren, and he knows that. :confuse:

You should stick to telling everyone how wonderful the MKS is that you have on order.

I happen to like the MKS alot, if you don't then fine. I might order one when they become available. It all depends on what happens in my future plans. I'm buying the 90' Stang, to cure my new car fever for awhile. I won't have a car payment, thus I can concentrate on buying a new home and can spend a little more on it. If my future goes the way I hope I will pay off my home early and then I can have about any luxury car I want within reason. My wife and I talked a great deal and both agreed a bigger, new home is more important than a luxury car right now. We can get the luxury car or SUV later if we choose. The Mustang, is also something I plan on keeping for the rest of my life and if I bought a new car I'd get rid of it with 3-5 years and want something new. Actually that is a waste of money. It makes more dollars and sense to go this route for right now. However in a couple of years I might go down to the Lincoln or Cadillac, dealership and buy a all-new MKS, or CTS-V. Both cars will be available in their first model run in 2009' anyways. Well thats what I've read. The wife wants a Caddy or Lincoln SUV or Truck. The boss actually should at least once get to pick a new car out. :surprise:

Rocky
    Just buy a used or close-out CTS, when everyone will be beating down the showroom doors to have the latest new look to the CTS. If that means a lose to the arts & science look, great -- buy the first rendition and let the others have the compromised design. It would be the keeper.
    As for Mustangs, the 2004 GT was 40th anniversary year, and the last of the Fox body, and the last made in Dearborn Michigan. I would consider that year, as well as the '99 model. And then there is the '95, which is the last of the 5.0 engines..... well for now it is. The ol' pushrod. And Rocky will be seen in his 7UP Mustang, unless Jeff Gordon runs him over in his Pepsi Monte Carlo. :D

Rocky, how about a Chrysler 300C, if HP is your thing. That things gotta Hemi.
    -Loren
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I'd worry about where Ford is taking Ford! ;)

Good to see you Loren. Hadn't located you since the original GM board went bye-bye!
    Just buy a used or close-out CTS, when everyone will be beating down the showroom doors to have the latest new look to the CTS. If that means a lose to the arts & science look, great -- buy the first rendition and let the others have the compromised design. It would be the keeper.

Loren, I like the exterior but the interior is gawd awful in my eyes. It reminds me of one of those art work pieces where if you look hard enough at the picture you are suppose to be able to make out the image, if that makes any sense. I use to get a headache trying to see the image. Well the CTS's interior angles kind of give me that same sort of headache, because Stevie Wonder, must of funded the school of the blind interior design studio, and their first project bid was awarded by Cadillac, for the current CTS. :P Outside of that I like it. I'm glad many other also do. ;)

As for Mustangs, the 2004 GT was 40th anniversary year, and the last of the Fox body, and the last made in Dearborn Michigan. I would consider that year, as well as the '99 model. And then there is the '95, which is the last of the 5.0 engines..... well for now it is. The ol' pushrod.

I thought 1993' was the last of the Fox body's ? :confuse:

The 1994-2004 Mustang's even though I inherited one via marriage never impressed me all that much. I did almost buy a 5.0 1994 though at a car auction. However ol' Betsy, in my garage sure has been a good car to me.

And Rocky will be seen in his 7UP Mustang, unless Jeff Gordon runs him over in his Pepsi Monte Carlo. :D

He might at first, but not after I get done with re working the engine and suspension. ;) - The Fox body's are ultra-light and a little bit of power goes a long way. Perhaps a turbo kit ? something, I just haven't decided yet or thought that far. Regardless that will be down the road though if I decide to not leave it stock. I might be better off keeping it as original as possible and only add a chip/programmer to it since it is in collectors car condition. Only 2320 miles. It might be the lowest mileage 7-UP 5-speed in the country ? I just don't know. I did see a automatic one with only 9 miles on it in plastic selling for over $30K.

The First thing will be finding a factory CD player, like from a 93'. Got see if it will fit first ? I will then upgrade the audio. I will basically get rid of the 1990' speakers and put in some modern speaker technology like maybe a Rockford Fosgate, set or along those lines. Nothing major, because I want to keep it as stock as possible but something with a lil' more clarity and power, to bump some Vanilla Ice- Rollin' in my 5.0- :P :blush: J/K

Rocky, how about a Chrysler 300C, if HP is your thing. That things gotta Hemi.
    -Loren

I like I said under the new Chrysler, forum am not impressed with Hemi, or anything Chrysler. GM, and Ford, offer way more car for the money IMHO. I haven't seen a Chrysler I've liked since the Dodge Stealth Twin Turbos and even those were made to order by Mitsubishi. :sick:

Lincoln, at least has some progress. The Lincoln MKZ, is a heck of a car for the money and IMHO out shines even the most loaded 300C. The 300C doesn't even have as much technology as the last generation Caddy Seville's Whoopie they have MDS that shuts off 4 cylinders. So now instead of getting 16 mpg, I can get 18 mpg ? :surprise: I'm still scratching my head that some Magazines said this was the savior to the domestic RWD large car segment. The most technological thing on the car is heated seats ? For real... come DCX !!! Lincoln, at least is making some "Bold Moves" with the MKX, Navigator, and soon to come MKS. We might even get a Lincoln Continental at some point in the future. Is Chrysler, going to counter with the Imperial ? Well unless that car gets the 425 hp. Hemi at 8 mpg along w/ a 5 speed auto it will have Chin-E Smarts blowing its doors off due to it pork. The websites I've read are saying a 345 hp hemi as the base. I also didn't see any "Gadgetology" sprinkled down from Mercedes, for it either :confuse: However it was the best interior execution from Chrysler, to date. :surprise: I personally think Chrysler, at some point could be put out to pasture by Mercedes, leaving Lincoln and Cadillac, to collect the domestic luxury car spoils. If Cadillac, doesn't get there act together soon they won't be to far behind. Cadillac's biggest problem is their current product doesn't reflect the price. If it wasn't for my GM discount, I don't think I would even look that way. Why ? Well like I said Lincoln, like Acura, is delivering class leading technology, quality, cutting edge design, for a whole heck of alot less money. Sure they might share platforms with other Ford brands, but as long as the product can save a customer $7-15K over a comparable Cadillac, what the heck do they care ? I'm afraid GM, will skimp on Gadgetology for the 08' CTS, to keep the bean counters happy. That is when Lincoln will move in for the kill on the 2009' MKZ 3.7 V-6 Twin Turbo w/ AWD ;) Go ahead and laugh now, but don't say I didn't warn you GM. Your history unfortunately predicts the future. I hope I'm wrong and you can compete with Lincoln, Lexus. Lincoln, has already show in' its future hands and to the future consumer they are all "royal flushes". :D

Lincoln- does Reach Higher :shades:

Rocky
    tlong, yeah I miss the ol' GM board. I even miss the ol' Ford board. :sick:

Rocky
    Loren,

I want you to go take these three vehicals for a spin or sit inside of them sometime in the future for the heck of it when you go look at cars for fun.

MKZ, Navigator, MKX

Rocky

P.S. I will do the same. I wished you lived closer by so we could have debates over which car is better. :P
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    More likely we won't, since there is not any proposal for that.

I didn't realize you were on Ford's engineering team and knew exactly what they were working on.
    Oh, sorry Boss, I should have consulted you first.

I didn't realize double-secret proposals that have never been mentioned anywhere in public counted as vehicles we might see soon. (insert several cartoons of choice, here)
    Automakers work on a lot of things that they don't publicly announce and may only be known privately if an insider leaks information. Especially if they think it gives them a competitive advantage. The Twin Turbo 3.5L had been in development for quite some time and actually running in a prototype vehicle for months before it was leaked.

I'm not saying they are or they aren't working on something else - I'm just saying that neither of us is qualified to say that they aren't working on something.
    It seems Ford is listening and the bean counters are no longer in charge.

Unique Looks for Lincoln
    Design boss favors different sheet metal, launch schedule from Ford vehicles

Based on the same platform as the Ford Five Hundred sedan, the concept version of the MKS shares "not a single piece" of its exterior with the Ford, Horbury said. The Five Hundred went on sale in 2004, and an updated version is due by mid-2007.

Autoweek
    "Lincoln, at least is making some "Bold Moves" with the MKX, Navigator..."

Can anyone name a single "bold": thing about these vehicles?

Other than the amount of chrome on an otherwise identical Ford, I can't.

"We might even get a Lincoln Continental at some point in the future. "

More likely we won't, since there is has not been any proposal for that mentioned in years.

"Lincoln, like Acura, is delivering class leading technology, quality, cutting edge design, for a whole heck of alot less money"

They are rebadged Fords; mechanically identical, using the same bodies with more chrome - I have never seen any credible person anywhere describe a single aspect as "class leading". They are built on the same assembly lines by the same people out of the same stuff.

"Lincoln, has already show in' its future hands and to the future consumer they are all "royal flushes"."

There is a single concept car floating around, and every time information is released it changes, and the entire car is being redesigned since no one has ever had anything good to say about it. And it's still 2-3 years from production.

I do agree Royal Flush is indeed the correct term for what Ford has done with Lincoln in general and the future if they think the MKS will save Lincoln.
    That sounds promising-- finally "car guys" are getting more say over the bean counters, for a change.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    I dunno. Just sounds like more pap to me. Take for instance this quote:

"A distinct Mercury model would be nice, "but is it necessary?" Horbury said"

IOW if we can fool the public with different launch dates and different tail lights, we will.

In the focus group I attended a year ago, a huge effort went into trying to determine how much they have to do (or more likely how little they can get away with) to change the looks of a car so folks dont realize its the same platform. They had about a dozen cars with slightly different sheet metal, lights, mirrors etc and we were to answer - do you think this car is related to that one etc. Duh. Excuse me, Mr anonymous automaker who put on this focus group, but this old dude could tell ALL the dozen cars were Fusions underneath. One of the renditions gave me the idea that Pontiac might be the next target competitor for Lincoln.

Also, Horbury says that the MKX shares 50% of its sheetmetal with the Edge? From the pictures it looks to me like it shares all 4 doors, the rear hatch and bumper, the rear quarter panels and probably the hood and front qtr panels up to the fascia for the headlights. Oh and the roof too. Am I wrong? Looks more like 90% to me.

Oh, and read the first sentence carefully and notice this:
    "Lincoln vehicles should sport mostly distinct exterior sheet metal". He says they SHOULD .. not will. Weasel words if u ask me.

Oh and now, in homage to our own Rockylee no doubt, the MKS "goes on sale" in 2008. I will agree thought that the S is very different from the 500. No one will suspect they're the same cars. But folks will and already do suspect the S is an Aurora or Acura twin. Is that what they want?
    And finally Horbury, in an obvious dig at his predecessor, said he was surprised that the Zephyr fooled anyone that it's nothing but a Fusion with a Lincoln grille. I see, and the MKZ is much more distinct?

OK, I'll put on my flame-proof suit now.
    I get the feeling that George won't be happy with a Lincoln unless it has an American engineered RWD V8 platform not shared with Mazda or Volvo. So I'll skip the obvious benefits of having unique engines, sheetmetal, interior, features and suspensions for Lincoln as a big step in the right direction.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    5-series? Hmmm, I never thought of it as a 5-er competitor. More 3-series to me. Back then people still understood the tiering of the BMW series.

To me, it was/is:

You show up in a Z4
    You get there in a 3
    You reach your destination in fashion in a 5
    You appear in a 6
    You arrive in a 7
    You marked your entrance in an 8
    You arrive and get noticed in a Z8
    You can think whatever u want. Facts is facts. The LS is a bit bigger than the 5, was compared against the 5 in the mags and in at least one Lincoln commercial. The BMW 3 series is a pretty small car.
    The LS was bigger than a 5 series, almost as big as a 7 series. It was a "tweener". Lincoln had another "tweener" planned to slot between the 3 and 5 series but it was killed when the Firestone fiasco cut Lincoln's budget by 70%.
    "the Firestone fiasco cut Lincoln's budget by 70%. "

Thanks to the ambulance chasers. I hate lawyers.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Hate lawyers all you want...but SOMETHING was wrong with the earlier model Explorer with Firestone tires, and somebody had to pay for those injuries...you can argue whether Ford said to underinflate the tires or Firestone made bad tires, but the rollovers did seem to occur with the Fstone Wilderness tires, and not with other tires...

So, before trashing lawyers, I do believe something was poorly designed, and unless they were sued, no one seemed to step up to the plate and admit fault...

Which still does not justify chasing ambulances..:):):)
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Thanks to the ambulance chasers. I hate lawyers.

That might be the one statement here on which everyone can agree. ;)
    Can't litigate this here, but I've owned 4 SUVs, one of them an Explorer Sport Trac and never rolled any of em. Every one of them had a warning label on the sunvisor saying dont drive this thing like a car. Yet, have you noticed how people drive in these things? Like idiots 1/2 the time. Ya think perhaps that could be a contributing factor?
    A "good" lawyer can spin anything in front of a hand-picked jury (dumb as doorknobs usually-if they can spell "DNA", they're excluded). Heck, they could probably even get a guy off if he sliced his ex-wife's throat ear-to-ear and killed her paramour-du-jour and the cops find her blood in his car and a cut on his hand, and a bloody glove at his house, ya think?
    I hate these guys. Shakespeare where art thou when we need thou?
    One bit of anecdotal evidence - I drive a LOT. I've NEVER seen an Explorer rolled, flipped or otherwise hosed up. However, I have seen at least 1/2 dozen Toyota Previas rolled. Strangely, never heard of a lawsuit against Toyota.
    The suspension on those SUVs was not adequate for the job on hand. When updated, Ford as much said that they now had a safer suspension. Can not recall the exact wording of the ad. Telling people to under inflate a tire is dangerous. Tell them say 6 pounds under, which is borderline dangerous, and then add a time factor between the next check, and how low do you think those pressures were. And then the tire problem, which Firestone acknowledged was there. I think it is the Chevy Blazer which had some problems staying upright - wasn't it? Of course, as pointed out, if people would drive the SUV more slowly like an off road vehicle, and not try any sports car moves, I am sure most accidents could be avoided. Would I want a car which could not maneuver well to avoid an accident, is not safe at car speeds, and is basically boat to handle - no, hell no way.

For high speed SUV runs, I do believe only the Porsche Cayenne is recommended. :D
  • wideglidewideglide Member Posts: 146
    They are rebadged Fords; mechanically identical, using the same bodies with more chrome - I have never seen any credible person anywhere describe a single aspect as "class leading". They are built on the same assembly lines by the same people out of the same stuff.

The Ford doesn't have the new 3.5L motor. Nor does it have real wood and leather on the dash and door panels.

There is nothing wrong with platform sharing. Different suspension designs and tuning can create a completely different vehicle. For example, the new Mustang uses the (modified) Lincoln LS platform.
  • tncarmantncarman Member Posts: 82
    hey, lets start talkin about Lincoln now, not Fords that like to lie on their back. Personally, I think Ford has kind of messed up th ebrand. They aren't offering a V8 in the MXS, huge mistake, and they cant decide what to call the Zephyr, and their crucial Navigator, where is it? I cant see past the GRILL. o well, mark another company off the chart to join with plymouth and olds
    Soon, the Mustang will have the 3.5 V6. And not a moment too soon. As for looks, I'd still go with the 'o4. I was there in '69 and liked the car then, as I do now. Nice car, chrome bumpers and all. The retro is a bit less IMHO, inside and out. Looks a bit too plain.

As for sharing of platform, that's OK by me -- why not buy the Milan if ya want a nifty looking appliance car. It too gets the job done and looks well doing it. Drop the 3.5 in that one. Matter of fact, no sharing needed at all, just make the Ford car line the better looking Mercury line, and the trucks all Ford Trucks. Have a Ford Premium Trucks, and Mercury, by Ford cars, and forget all the rest of the nonsense. Lincoln line is what they refer now to as near luxury cars, and that market is better served by others. Wonder if near luxury is a buzz word for going nearly broke for us poor, and chump change for the true rich. Poser cars? Heck win the mid-sized class game and make that Lincoln, with all the silly letters, the Mercury, and drop Fusion and MKSABCETS alphabet soup Lincolns.
    -Loren
    The only one that looks interesting to me is the MKZ, and it costs more than the Aura or Milan. Beside that it is FWD. *Yawn*
    Actually the mustang is not a modified LS platform. They started that way but ended up changing everything except the floor pan and the fuel tanks. The mustang platform is actually significantly stiffer than the dew98. The Tbird needed cross braces behind the front seats which you can't do in a mustang with a rear seat.
  • The Ford doesn't have the new 3.5L motor. Nor does it have real wood and leather on the dash and door panels.

There is nothing wrong with platform sharing. Different suspension designs and tuning can create a completely different vehicle. For example, the new Mustang uses the (modified) Lincoln LS platform.

You miss the point. No one is saying there is something wrong with platform sharing. The Volvo S80, the Ford 500 and the Lincoln MKS share a platform, but they do not share styling, body panels, window glass, height, length, width or even wheelbase length. They are different cars for different customers.

On the other hand, the 3.5 V6 could easily be installed in the Fusion and Milan too...and should be, given where the competition (Camry, etc.) has gone. Wood and leather are trim packages that could easily be offered on the Milan.

The Ford triplets share ALL architecture (wheelbase, all mounting points, etc.), windshields, roof panels, doorskins, door glass. The Ford Freestyle, which is the wagon version of the Ford 500, has more differentiation from the 500 than the MKZ has from the Fusion. It is just not right to take a Ford and merely modify trim, put in more sound deadening and a couple unique options, and then call it a Lincoln.

It is all they have and all they can do right now, but the next iteration needs to be uniquely Lincoln, or Lincoln will no longer mean anything more special than "Mercury."
    I don't disagree. But given the neglect at Lincoln it was more important to get the Zephyr out the door quickly to give the dealers something to sell (the LS died earlier than expected).

The MKS philosophy is better (no shared sheetmetal) but they need to take that into the interior as well with standard Lincoln features like electric tilt/telescope steering wheel. Add Lincoln only drivetrains (like the 3.7L) and I think they've got it.

And I do think they need a new RWD platform for their flagship, but I think it can coexist with the MKS and appeal to 2 different buyers.
  • wideglidewideglide Member Posts: 146
    And I do think they need a new RWD platform for their flagship, but I think it can coexist with the MKS and appeal to 2 different buyers.

I agree. They should build a PREMIUM rear drive sedan to compete with the larger BMW and Mercedes models, as well as the Lexus LS and Infinity Q/M 45, Cadillac CTS. And make it truly premium and world-class. A strong V8, sophisticated suspension tuning and steering feel (BMW in the crosshairs here), and no parts bin engineering. Nobody wants to lay out 50 large for a car, and have Fusion switchgear and hard plastics. And offer it with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION! Even if only 10% of the buyers want it, that's still 10% that you might lose to someone who does offer it, and the critics will like it a whole lot more. Even if it's not a volume seller, it would be a "halo car" to give the brand a better image.
    MKS looks pretty good. Make that the Mercury by Ford 500 model, and sell it for $24K with the new V6 and $29K with a V8 and luxo junk added. As for a FWD turned AWD turned Lincoln for anything over $29K, I think not. Drop the Lincoln and Ford car names, go upscale Mercury by Ford. Lincoln dealers now have an upscale Mercury to sell. It's all Ford anyway- a reality check.
    -Loren
    Well you can FORGET it.

You've just described the Lincoln LS almost to a tee and they just killed that so they could build Mazda and Volvo clones. Forget it, Lincoln is history as a performance oriented luxury brand. I'm finally convinced. Lincoln is the new Oldsmobile.
    The LS didn't fail Ford, Ford failed the LS.

It sold very well and was highly praised.
    But Ford did what Ford always does- They neglected it until it's sales withered away and they had an excuse to kill it.
    It's no different than what they almost did with the Mustang in the late 80's, and "successfully" did with the Minivan market, the Focus, the Ranger, the Town car and the Crown Vic.
    Taurus was selling 400k units a year not that long ago- now it's dead. It takes remarkable skill to pull that off!
    Yes indeed, the new Lincoln is " not your fathers automobile." Recall that stupid Oldsmobile ad which insulted the your fathers choice in a car, which was actually the better car, and did not impress the sons and daughters one bit to buy an Olds. In looking back, I recall a wonderful Olds Cutlass 1972 model family car, with rear wheel drive. Now it was the 1980's with the FWD less than stellar engineered cars thrown together to compete with Japan makes, which they were claiming to be new, better, exciting, reliable, and blah,blah,blah. I beg to differ. I would take the '68 Olds 442 or the '72 Cutlass we owned over the so called modern junk by GM. I do believe these are the days of, " it's not your father's Lincoln " and that is the problem. Weren't those Mark cars hot looking? How about the old Lincolns with the suicide doors? And what happened to the classic look to the Town Car?

As for the last run Olds, I do like the looks of the last Aurora Euro look last rendition And the original Aurora was perhaps unique enough to be in auto shows within a decade, or less. An interesting looking car.
    Actually, the Intrigue is a better looking car than lots of bland looks presented as Chevy cars.
    -Loren
    I guess the LS would not be a bad choice in a used car. Have not researched the car all that much however. I recall some years were better than others for reliability -- which if I recall correctly may have been an issue for a couple years.

It was not bad looking, yet lacked that stand-out look. I bet a design team could have made a new one, with more style presence within a years time and saved this car. Advertising, I always though was rather stupid. And it could have to do with dealerships not being viewed by consumers as knowing a thing about performance cars. Perhaps a new image for dealerships, and two cars with rear wheel drive would have helped. Something like a BMW3 and 5 . Or even the FWD Zepyher is OK for BMW3 competition (yet it FWD???) and then a 5 and 7 sized Lincoln to compete in RWD class. I am afraid this one car at a time does not make a whole.
    Loren
    I love your post and you mae a great arguement. I honestly have to disagree with you on the "This isn't your fathers Lincoln" comment. Now with Olds, you are correct. The new Lincolns exceed anything that Lincoln, has rolled off it's assembly line. I like I said before liked my grandfathers 88' Continental. ;)

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    True. My father's Oldsmobile was an awesome 1955 Ninety-Eight Starfire convertible and my Uncle Daniel had one of those awesome Continentals. I'll take a nice 1965 Continental over ANY current Lincoln.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    I've seen a few new "Emm Kay" commercials over the past couple days. It's just not a good naming convention.