Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• And I say your contention is nonsense on stilts. Of course you can only do so much with a platform to improve it, but that "so much" can actually have a big effect if done right. Further, most companies these days start with a very good platform, not a cheap one. Still, I give you credit for sticking to your guns. :P
  • For those of you unaware of Lincoln's first foray into the Chinese market, here is a good summary. As well as a lesson in how not to do it. ;)

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/01/panther-love-in-china-red-flag%E2%80%99- s-lincoln-years/#more-424477
  • edward53edward53 Member Posts: 113
    If platform sharing does not matter to you, then you should trade your Lexus if for a Lincoln? That's if exclusivity does not matter to you. Also Lexus in about 4 yrs will have its entire line-up rwd on exclusive platforms as does Infiniti . Acura has again started to develop it rwd flagship to compete with Hyundai Genesis. Rumor has it that Hyundai will branch Genesis into its own premier vehicle division. Couple all of the above with Cadillac developing its rwd flagship,I think that Ford will have its druthers keeping Lincoln around for the long term.
    How good is a Ford platform as per say Audi's , BMW , Infiniti, Mercedes Cadillac's CTS,? Will the Ford platforms be as stiff as as the platforms of the above mentioned models? Will it be comparable to Cadillac's upcoming rwd platform for its new flagship? Would The new MKZ hold its own with a comparably CTS on a slalom since the MKZ is to compete with the CTS? I would guess not because in order to have comparable platform quality A comparable Lincoln model would have to be priced in the range of these models. So since I believe that the odds of Lincoln surviving the next 5 years are very low, Lincoln should go out with a bang as Packard did with it Caribbean and produce an exquisitely engineered rwd model just to show that Ford does have the engineering know how to do such a vehicle.
  • You are a strange one, but like a bulldog with your ideas. Nice to have another curmudgeon on this thread! If only Lincoln would build a going-out-with-a-bang model because you would like to see them do it. It won't happen, but no harm in crying in the wilderness.

Lincoln is going with the Audi model for the forseeable future. For many years, Audi could get no respect either. But they have proven themselves with FWD based luxury cars by adding AWD and rear bias. Bentley hit a motherlode with the Continental by borrowing architecture based on the FWD/AWD A8. Now they have the cash to move into RWD in a more significant way in coming years, but they have also proved that their current models with rear biased power, torque vectoring and other electronic controls can already spank some of the RWD stars.

Ford has as much engineering know-how as any major company, but they also have to consider marketing. Ford is considering a successor to the GT, but that model, though likely, will add nothing to the bottom line. Engineering know-how has never been their problem. Balancing bean counters and what people are going to buy next has been their problem. For all the talk of slalom and those tenths or thousands of difference at the line, most luxury buyers have no interest and no clue. They want prestige, they want a certain style, they want effortless creamy operation, and they want the latest stuff.

As I have said before, you can buy BMW. You don't need Lincoln in your life. Lincoln, however, needs to pull an Audi or Infiniti or Hyundai style "I am now the It Girl." What wheels drive what doesn't matter so much to the vast majority of buyers once the momentum is going. Lincoln lost its way mostly by being dowdy, second best, repetitive, and too close to plebeian brands. The breakout success of the Navigator in 1998 wasn't because it had any real skills. It defined a new want that had nothing to do with slalom ability.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The breakout success of the Navigator in 1998 wasn't because it had any real skills. It defined a new want that had nothing to do with slalom ability.

Man, THAT is the truth, and they sold me 2 of 'em!! Plus, it was fun to listen to the howling and cat calling over at the Cadillac store slowly fade from existence, as they watched the Navigators roll out the Lincoln door, day after day - and they had nothin.......
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I'm sure you would argue that the Camaro has a superior platform to the lowly Mustang with the Camaro having IRS and the Mustang having a SRA. But if you said the Camaro would outhandle the Mustang you'd be dead wrong.

You're also forgetting that the new MKZ is not built off an existing Ford Fusion platform. It's a brand new platform (CD4) that was built with both the Fusion, MKZ and European Mondeo in mind. I'd make a bet that it has higher torsional rigidity than the CTS which is several years old because that's how platforms evolve.

You're putting WAY too much emphasis on the platform and you're ignoring the most important aspects of being a successful luxury player.

It will be very interesting to see how the MKZ measures up against the CTS. I think it will be a lot closer than you think (not counting the V models - but those are not the volume products).
    Allen: I read somewhere here that the pre-1998 Town Car was not based on the Panther platform, which was news to me. I was pretty sure the Town Car was always a blown up LTD, at least from about 1985 on up. Was I mistaken? What was the Town Car based upon, if not the Panther platform?

My opinion was that 1997 was the high water mark for the Towncar, and the 1998, though a pretty good looker in Limo form, was a much cheaper and decontented car, with a livery designed interior, and damn little luxury. But, I digress.

Can you enlighten me please?
    Nope - Town Car was always on the Panther platform. You may be thinking of the Continental that started as a Panther but moved to a stretched Taurus platform.
    edited January 2012
    I and those here who are logical and not living in a dream world know that Lincoln is doomed. What we are seeing with Ford and Lincoln's all new Ford based models is one last gasp to try to save Lincoln . But reality is ,is that Ford's efforts are too little , too late and as usual too cheap. No person with any kind of decent funds to his name is going to buy a gussied up Ford . Only Ford marketeers would have the discerning car buyer believe that the new old Lincolns are worthy of his time and money. But alas the discerning car buyer knows when he is being fed a crock of marketing bull. People like me did not get where we are at by settling for second or, in this case with Lincoln, third best.
  • Like a bulldog you are! However, both BMW and Mercedes have FWD/AWD models in the hopper, and I can't help but think that Audi's domination in Europe has something to do with it.

For example: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/07/mercedes-benz-clc-snapped-testing-in-the-snow- /

Allen! You were too quick with your answer. The Town Car from 1990 to 1997 may have been based on the Panther platform, but it was definitely a different beast. It was wider, had a roomier greenhouse, and had an interior width that none of the other Panthers (including the 1998 Town Car, on up to death) came close to matching. Lincoln certainly differentiated the 1998 TC from the CV, but it decided to save money by making the CV, the Grand Marquis, and the TC share their underlying body parts, even if not the actual panels.
    edited January 2012
    BMW is using its Mini for its sub 100 series models . These vehicles are compacts.Also their base prices will be about a third less than BMW 100 series. Now , what series of Mercedes are you writing about. I Take it that if you are correct they would be based on its A class which is also a compact and was primarily designed to be used as delivery vehicles. But neither BMW or Mercedes is contemplating using fwd for its larger performance or premier oriented vehicles. I would also point out that a Ford engineered platform could never compete in quality or sophistication as either a Mercedes or BMW platform and that would include fwd ones. The folks at Ford are always coming up with cheaper ,better ideas.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2012
    The topic is Lincoln automobiles and where Ford is taking the brand.
    You may be thinking of the Continental that started as a Panther but moved to a stretched Taurus platform.

Oh no, I had 2 Continentals, 90 and 92. LOVED the design, huge back seat and room inside, long limosine roofline. Good gas mileage, and reasonable torque and power for the 3.8L Essex 6 cylinder. I knew it was a Taurus platform, and the major fault of that was that the front suspension wasn't beefed up enough for the extra overhang up there, and topped out anytime you came out of a ditch or gutter. But, you got used to it. Was probably the worse Ford I ever had (both of 'em) from a reliability standpoint, but sure loved the design and the way it drove. Didn't realize the dependability was lousy, coming from Cadillacs at the time, the Lincoln was still better than those.
  • It has been bandied about here that the next MKZ (to be revealed this week) will look like an Aston. If you look at the already revealed 2013 Fusion, it looks like a car that could be the Rapide's smaller, more practically shaped brother. The front clip especially evokes Aston, but the roofline does as well. The MKZ obviously will go in another direction. The excitement builds...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1201_2013_ford_fusion_first_look/phot- o_11.html
    Wow!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    What Lincoln is showing off at NAIAS:

and another sneak peak:

bodes well for the new MKZ. Especially the Plug-In hybrid version.

I'm expecting a 2.7L ecoboost putting out around 300 hp with a 3.5 or 3.7L ecoboost option as the performance model. Probably keep the 3.7L as the base engine plus at least one hybrid, maybe 2.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Wow, can't wait to see what's hiding under there. The tail does look rather Audi A7-ish tho.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    One poster on that site hit the nail right on the head:

"Town Car rear-ending Volga Gaz-21."
    Not the best quality or angle....... real pics due at midnight.

The real car is supposed to be even better looking and will debut in March. This was a hastily put together concept (probably commissioned when the real one got delayed).

One thing is for sure - this ain't no Fusion. No word on powertrains but I expect a hybrid version with a 2.7L Ecoboost and 3.7L N/A base engine. Hopefully there is also a 3.5L/3.7L Ecoboost option as well.
    Explain to everyone why this is no Fusion? It shares the same platform does it not? As I explained earlier that as long as the vehicle platform shares the same floor pan as its Ford brother that means that the vehicles torsional rigidity is the same as its cheaper brother. That means even with some minor upgrades to the MKZ's platform ,it will still handle when pressed hard as its cheaper brother. I can tell you that the first thing the auto mags are going to do is compare the MKZ's platform's torsional rigidity to its competitors.
    So you know the torsional rigidity specs of the brand new CD4 platform? Please share them along with the same specs from the other more worthy platforms so we can compare them.

Only you would totally ignore all of the sheet metal and luxury features and focus on the floor pan.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Personally, I think I like the look of the new Fusion better. I was disappointed Lincoln kept that funky grille style they've implemented. However, I think it is quite feasible to use the same basic chassis and engine, but tune it much differently to give a different vehicle feel. Heck, most everyone in the industry has been doing this for years. They stopped using a lot of individual engines and trannies years ago due to economics. Instead they vary the suspension, engine tuning, noise reduction materials such as glass thickness, etc. In the past I don't think Ford did this very well with Lincoln and Mercury. For example, it seems that a Toyota and Lexus or Chevy and Buick are much more differentiated products today even when on the same chassis and engine platform. I suspect the current Ford management knows this, so I'd expect the new Lincoln's to start driving differently as they come out.
    What do you mean by "kept that funky grille style"? The MKZ grille is the first one of its kind. Wolff says it mimics an eagle with spread wings which I think is a good analogy. The production version is slightly different as is the rear end and those that have seen both say the production version is also better looking (for a change).

The MKZ will get its own suspension (electronically controlled) and tuning and unique powertrains so there is no reason to believe that the MKZ won't be an entirely different driving experience than a Fusion. Of course that won't stop some people from whining about it with absolutely nothing to back up the complaints.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2012
    Of course that won't stop some people from whining about it with absolutely nothing to back up the complaints. And it makes you wonder what motivates someone to repeat themselves over and over, as if we don't get the point they are making...over and over. We understand the point, but either disagree with it or have another point of view.

I certainly have lobbed my share of criticism at Lincoln over the years, but I am here because I have always had a soft spot for the brand. I hoped they would get the message that their approach in the past decade was doomed to fail. They appear to have changed course drastically now.

The MKZ won't please everyone (nothing could), but this concept shows they know how to make a stunning car. I have confidence that the new Fusion will be one of the most rigid platforms out there. Even if they didn't upgrade it for the MKZ, it would be competitive, but in all likelihood it will be significantly upgraded from there. BTW, I love the grill. That will have presence, without anyone thinking baleen whale. And I do see some Aston influence in that rear view, even though it looks nothing like the back end of a 2013 Fusion (which has a definite Aston influence, front to back).
    I am here because I have always had a soft spot for the brand.

I do as well. I sure miss the legacy model names though, Continental, Premier, Town Car, Zephyr, and Mark - they all had class, panache, and brand equity. I don't know anybody who is thrilled with the MK designations - the ad agency that talked Bill Ford into those should be drawn and quartered.
    I just don't think those gaudy oversized split grilles really work well, especially on a luxury vehicle. Caddy has woke up to that if you notice the more conservative ATS front end styling.
  • Ford has been on a roll, and Lincoln is still on life support until new product comes along. I see today that GM is now the world's largest car company, with over 9 million in sales (they have never sold this many units in any previous year). VW is second, or maybe first, as they dispute GM counting sales of a Chinese partner. Enter Nissan-Renault, who is also claiming second or third, depending on how you count their many brands and partners. Toyota may now be third or fourth. No one mentions Ford in these debates! Ford has got to be somewhere in the top five.

Anyone know when the new MKZ will be on sale? We know it will be revealed in March, but will it be in dealers, say September? November?
    November I think, but I don't think it's finalized yet.

Ford sales are down a bit outside the U.S. but Ford has also stopped chasing sales crowns in favor of higher per unit profits, so don't expect any fire sales trying to catch them.
  • On the heels of Ford's reported profitability for 2011 comes this article:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/27/ford-tops-in-non-retail-sales-45-of-focus-sol- d-to-fleets/

That sounds a bit like bad old habits.

As for Lincoln, light a fire under that new Lincoln team. While they are struggling to get the MKZ to market by November, Cadillac will have both the ATS (completely new rear drive model), and the XTS (roomier, more luxurious and better looking than its MKS rival) on sale before then. Maybe Lincoln should stop with the useless but still costly tweaks to the likes of the current MKS and MKT, and move full tilt into a complete lineup revamp. Too many eggs in one basket right now, I'd say. Those seven "new" models better not include the refreshed models coming.
    Well, that's why I'm not in a Lincoln Sedan these days. However, I'm also not in a Cadillac either. Why? Lincoln's sedans are overpriced for what you're getting under the bonnet and frame. The interiors are very nice, but it's a Taurus under there pretty much. But Cadillac? Their "good" models, RWD, good handling, etc., are too SMALL!! The slightly larger, but not larger enough for me, the STS, is now gone anyway, and everyone I know who has one (and that ain't many, BTW), says they're not very reliable. Need a lot of repairs. I need a large Sedan, and their large Sedan has been, and continues to be FWD and floaty. No better than the Lincoln. I'd rather pay $20,000 more for a really good sedan (Lexus) than less, but still too much, for a Ford and a Chevy in evening wear......
  • I hear what you say about preferring a big car, but the days of long overhangs and useless sheet metal space are over. The XTS has the interior space of a large car, and interior volume is superior to MKS, especially in the rear seat area. Both ATS and XTS have standout quality interiors, and the floaty stuff is history. Cadillac has more models in the pipeline, and one is a redesign of the CTS which will make it larger than today's car.

Like it or not, the BMW 3 small-sized luxury car (Lexus IS, BMW 3, Mercedes C, Volvo S60, Acura TSX, Infiniti G, Caddy ATS) is now a staple, and Lincoln should have one too for those of us who enjoy a tossable car that has all the bells and whistles, plus most of the serenity of a larger car.

My hope is that Lincoln will start a push with their new team to bring some excitement back to their product line. The 13 MKZ looks like a good start, but it will be a lone model amongst the rest of the lineup, which are also-rans at this point. They totally screwed up when they designed the clean sheet MKT (beating a dead horse, but whoever approved this CUV that looks like a bloated station wagon?...Cadillac and Chrysler had already issued such models that did not sell well). The MKT concept was a looker, and very polarizing. The dumbed down MKT they brought to market has none of the same love it or despise it pizzazz.

Jim Farley would not have made the following statement if Ford was not concerned about how fast the crushed and bankrupt GM has bounced back: “F---- GM. I hate them and their company and what they stand for. And I hate the way they're succeeding."

It's dog eat dog out there, Farley. No rest for anyone, no matter how good your product, because EVERYONE now is bringing awesome cars to market, and doing it whenever they are ready, rather than at traditional times.
    Certainly agree with your comments on the MKT - that and the Flex to me are throwback Station Wagons. I rented a Flex for a week last year - it's competent enough, but reminds me of my Fairmont Station Wagon back in 2001 in a lot of ways. Not interested, and not interested in the one that costs $55,000!

Lincoln is still adrift to me. But, my friends who drive Caddys don't give them very good dependability reviews. That's a problem for me. Still prefer Lexus.
  • Agreed. Before I bought my new Volvo in 2011, I decided to try a slightly used CTS in an effort to save some bucks. It did not sound or ride any longer like a luxury car should (and I know they are quiet when new), and additionally there were unexplained squeaks and creaks. I brought it back after a couple blocks, and said no thanks.
    Could someone explain to me why the new Fusion and new MKZ share the same profile? I thought that Lincoln was suppose to have a completely different body style? It seems that the marketing people have their work cut out for them. I can't wait to read the excuses.
    Nobody said it would be a "completely different body style" - that isn't feasible when sharing a platform. The MKZ doesn't share any sheetmetal with the new Fusion. The MKZ concept is not the final production version - it was actually built after the production vehicle. I don't think the production version will be confused with a Fusion like the current model.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...featuring JFK's home movies on the History Channel tonight. Seems he was a big fan of early 1960s Lincolns and Mercuries. Sadly, there is no more Mercury and today's Lincolns hardly have the allure of those classic early-mid 1960s Continentals.
    today's Lincolns hardly have the allure of those classic early-mid 1960s Continentals.

Nor, do the Cadillacs.....
    edited February 2012
    You wrote that "nobody said that Lincoln was suppose to have a completely different body style from the Fusion because of platform sharing limitations on design and yet the MKZ does not share any sheet metal with the Fusion." How can it be both? Sounds like some marketing double talk. I seen the new 2013 Fusion with the 2013 MKZ side by side . These are going to be the production vehicles. Their profiles are very similar. There is a difference in the front and the rear but that is it. In fact , members of the automotive press were expecting something completely unique for Lincoln than what was showed.Everyone was led to believe that Lincoln's styling would be unique and original to Lincoln as was stated when Mullaly spoke at Chicago's Ford Torrence Ave plant in Chicago last year. And you are correct when you point out that because Lincolns will share Ford platforms, Lincoln cannot have a unique body style to call its own. I think even you now would admit that as long as Lincoln shares Ford platforms it can never be a premium brand.
    By similar I mean they will both be 4 door sedans on the same wheelbase. But I do expect that the Lincoln will not share any sheetmetal with the Fusion including doors and the greenhouse.

The problem Lincoln currently has with the MKX and MKZ is that from the side they look identical to their cheaper Ford cousins. That won't be the case with the MKZ as far as I can tell.

I mean seriously - if they change all the sheetmetal and ALL the interior bits and the wheels and they give it more power and unique powertrains and they give it unique suspensions and unique features like retractable glass roofs - what more do you want?

I think even you now would admit that as long as Lincoln shares Ford platforms it can never be a premium brand.

I would not admit that because it's just not true. Audi shared cheaper VW platforms and had FWD/AWD and nobody ever claimed they weren't a true premium brand.

Lexus' 2 biggest sellers are the RX and ES - both FWD and both based on cheaper Toyota platforms.

You just have a personal bias against Ford platforms which is fine and dandy as far as your personal buying goes but don't try to make objective conclusions based on your subjective feelings.

Lincolns formula will work fine if they execute on their plans with great styling and features and top notch customer service.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    For those who don't know, it was the Olds Aurora and Cadillacs of that time that had stiffer chassis to the point that it called for the invention of RFB, road force balance for the tires. A slight imbalance was apparently annoying as hell for owners.
    With better tires and RFB they were able to work on better suspensions, etc. It seems they still have a way to go.
    I sat in a new 2-door Cadillac in the show room last summer. It was not the model I might have desired, but that highend vehicle would be enough to learn what I wanted. Vehicles with cooled seats pretty much fit the professional reviewer's opinions. The GM and Chrysler are absolutely horrible for padding and comfort on a long ride. I learned the problem after having a 2011 Lacrosse CXS with sport touring package. The problem, things related to this issue, start with horrible, noisy, poor wet traction, hard riding GY Eagle low profile tires. Passing any slight bump as a hard object completely through the vehicle. To the seat and steering wheel makes for bad design. (the full time electronic suspension definitely did not handle this, if it was working)
    And as reviewers have indicated, there is definitely an issue with seat design when they try to blow air through it. The choice of padding material becomes limited, it appears, and there is definitely not enough of it. And just because you buy a model that does not have the cooled seats, it does not mean you won't get the same horrible seat.
    Bouncing my butt into that seat of the Cadillac a few times told me it would be no better than the Buick. I also tried a Chrysler 300, which appeared to have the same seat as the one with the cooling and it was also a bad seat.
    I can say that the Lincoln MKS seat is a different animal to say the least. I could tell it when I sat in the one in the showroom. I was still hesitant because I test drove a Fusion a couple of years back. It was the dealer's demo car, but it was a horrible seat. It felt like it had been ridden to death. Like maybe by someone weighing 400# who only drove down railroad ties. (For those who don't know, that is an extremely bumping ride, like hitting a pothole every two feet on all four wheels.) I ran from that vehicle. I can say the seat in the MKS at 30K miles is still very good. On my recent long road runs, I had very little of the back problems the former vehicles induced.
    But the passenger seat, likely used very little, is quite a bit better than the driver seat.
    Lincoln, keep up the good work on this item, but can you do something with the darned headrest that beats the back of my head until I end up with painful neck and headaches?
    It almost seems designers still follow the development of horse drawn vehicles. The seat being the last thing thought of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2012
    So you don't like the new MKZ...other people will. It will stand out, whereas the current one is anonymous. No marketing double talk...it does not share anything external with Fusion, and as Allen pointed out, you have yet to see the production version. By the way, have you not noticed that there are styling trends out there? Grab a handful of mid-size cars from different manufacturers and you will find a lot of them share a similar profile. For example, a "four door coupe" thing (no, they really don't look like coupes) is going on with everything from the CC and Sonata to the Volvo S60, Buick Regal and Lexus IS. Now, I suppose if Lincoln hired you as an advisor, they would be doing so much better in a few years than if they ignore what you think. But no one has to admit to anything contained in your last sentence, as many manufacturers are able to get premium models out of shared brands. I have given you numerous non-Ford examples previously. Have a nice day.
    edited March 2012
    OK! Explain to me how the new MKZ cannot have a completely different body style because of platform sharing with the Fusion and yet it does not share any sheet metal with the Fusion? I remember covering Mullaly when he spoke at the Ford Torrence Ave plant in Chicago and he said that Lincoln will have unique body styles that will share nothing with the Ford models. I realize that the marketing folks for Ford have got to really find some "weasel words" to get out of this jam that they find themselves in with Lincoln. By the way the Lexus IS shares platform with Toyota. Another example of body design limitations because of sharing platforms with a cheaper vehicle. So Thank You, and have a nice day. P. S. I did see the final versions of both the Fusion and MKZ. It was to have been introduced in April. I don't think that you and your partner Allen have seen the final production models. Ford can't change the dies now for these models to really differentiate the MKZ from the Fusion because of cost and time restraint of meeting the production date.
    If you put them side by side and they dont look like clones of each other like the current Fusion and MkZ then I just don't see the problem. It works just fine for the Camry and ES350.
    I just don't see the problem. It works just fine for the Camry and ES350.

Same for the base near lux Acura and Infiniti which is what the Lincoln MKZ is. Tweak the suspension, maybe up the engine compression a touch, upscale the interior. In fact I think lower line Audi's are pretty similar to some VW products as well.

I'd like to see a new Mark and maybe a convertible version as well to give Lincoln some image again.
    They're going further than that - the MKZ will have a unique electronically controlled suspension plus a retractable glass roof and the 3.7L V6 - plus unique sheetmetal. As long as they deliver on the looks and interior quality it will be a solid seller and put Lincoln back on the luxury map.
    edited March 2012
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Leaked - Bing Videos
    www.bing.com/.../2013-lincoln-mkz.../...
    Feb 21, 2012 – 2013 Lincoln MKZ Leaked ... 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Review ... Lincoln MKZ Complaints Lincoln MKZ Pictures Lincoln MKZ Review Lincoln .

All I have to write is to click the above link and judge for yourself if the new 2013 Lincoln MKZ does not share resemblance to the 2013 Ford Fusion. So enough with the weasel words and long winded paragraphs trying to convince everyone that the new MKZ- or as we call it "MK Weezie"- does not share any sheet metal with the new Fusion. I will wait for the vitriol from the Ford folks because I pointed out their fibs.