Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    A week or 2 ago I ent my opinion to Lincoln via their contact us email on their website. Today surprisingly I got a response. A pretty-well canned one, but a response nonetheless. While it could be a waste of time, maybe more folks should opine directly to them and *maybe* they'll take notice.

They encouraged me to send further concerns, so I decided to tell em what they should do, from my point of view. Here is what I sent:

1) Build the Lincoln Continental Concept with an American V8. That's what a Lincoln should be. Not a warmed over Mazda (UGH) or a Japanese-looking Volvo. Have SOMEONE in Lincoln product planning take a look at the success of the Chrysler 300 and pause and think.
    2) Forget the stoooopid confusing 'MK' thing and change the names to "Mark xx" quick or give the cars back their real names. This MK thing is inane.
    3) Fire your ad agency. And keep that doofus Bill Ford off the TV. Even the laughable Dr Z ads are better than his Al Gore-like drone. And tell him if he makes a promise, he should keep it, duh.
    4) Design and build a Mustang-based Mercury Cougar, ala 1967. Or just kill Mercury quickly instead of slowly. There's no reason for anyone to go into a Mercury showroom except the Mariner hybrid.
    5) Stop marketing Mercury to women only. Mercury means 'fast'. It is a man's car too, or should be. James Dean drove one.
    6) Get rid of those old-lady 'D-L' shifters. NOW.
    7) Get some more hybrid or fuel-cell or Displacement-on-Demand vehicles/technology before gas costs make everything else irrelevant. Nobody cares about 'flex-fuel.' Why in heavens name would anyone buy a 20 mpg Zephyr or Milan when they can get a Camry hybrid at 40mpg for just a bit more?

That oughtta do it.

George

PS: I read today that the Monterey is dead. I could have told you it wouldn't sell when I first looked at it when it was released. It was boring, bland and plain (thus a typical modern Mercury), it had nothing the competitors didn't have but was lacking many things they did have, and the fit and finish was horrible. You folks should put me in charge. :>)
  • You shoule have also given them the link to this thread. You'd think they would monitor something like this where there is actually some activity.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Oh, they monitor us alright. Perhaps not a vigilantly as the Department of Homeland Security, but rest assured there are several Ford employees perusing these threads and commenting under their usernames. I have spoken with some of them myself. ;)
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    ROTFFLMAO :D

Rocky

P.S. do you think iluv, is really a Hyundai/Kia executive. :P
    You mean Iluvmysephia? Don't know, Rocky. Have I encountered him around here? But usually, they don't use any clues in their username. Never seen one do that.
    Yeah that is who I meant lol. I was only kidding about him. ;)

Rocky
    Don't know about iluv, but I'm VERY worried about Ford. I guess I never thought Bill Jr. would let it get this bad that they have to start selling off assets to survive. What a travesty! It's Chrysler II. I thought Ford had more substance to it than that, although they suffer from some of the same idiotic inconsistency Chrysler did. It's criminal...anyway, that is how I feel.
    I think stream-lining ford isn't a bad thing nvbanker. ;)

Rocky
  • If that's what it really was. Streamlining in Ford-speak would be Chrysler II, for sure--or worse. Again, all of the Ford brands are good ones with great heritages. The synergy should have been powerful. However, Ford let the Ford brand, and especially Mercury and Lincoln languish. For no good reason, other than overpaid executives did not know what they were doing when they made business decisions...in the past 6 years especially. SUVs and trucks. Brilliant. Nice concept, but the market always moves and changes.

A whole raft of great concepts would be on the road now, had anyone there with sign-off power had the vision to really use their designers and engineers. Don't get me started...but a 2 seater $40,000 Thunderbird instead of the Forty-Nine which had a back seat and even the potential for 4 doors?? The 500 instead of a 427-based sedan with a range of engines? NONE of the Lincoln or Mercury concepts implemented? (Don't tell me the MKX is the Aviator concept...it's a re-badged Ford Edge.)

All of the car companies seem to seek Ford's currently considered "solutions" before they either fully die or are absorbed. GM is right to be getting more variety of product out there at great cost. Their sales are already picking up.

BTW, what is Ford going to counter with when GM produces a hybrid Tahoe in 2008 at only a $2,000 premium? This will be a big rig with highway mileage in the mid 20's, and even the non-hybrid Tahoes offer more power and better mileage already.

Oops. I got started. I am angry as a lifelong Ford admirer and stockholder. Dumb overpaid dolts! And rather than get to work with the cash they have and get more innovation out there sooner, they dither with potential sales that will only stave off death a short while--or change a powerhouse company into a shadow of itself.
    I thought the GM hybrids were pushing low 30's hwy mpg ? Well that is what edmunds was getting in the Escalade hybrid mule ;)

Rocky
    I agree with you, gregg. Check my carspace - you'll see I've been driving a lot of Fords most of my life. I liked my Fords the best of what I've owned. Today though, I have so many issues with the way the company has been systematically ruined, and the product they're putting out, trucks excepted, I am losing my passion for the brand. That Fusion, which seems to be a good car, should be a Taurus, the car that changed the world once upon a time. I still remember the first time I sat in an 86 Taurus. The feel of the sculpted supportive seats, the ergonomically perfect dash and door panels. The quality feel of the switchgear and handles. The firm, tactile ride and quiet cabin. For the time, the car was even pretty quick. It was the perfect sedan at the time, and frankly I'm not sure it's ever been surpassed. Certainly, Ford has never replicated it. And they thrifted and decontented the Taurus every year until the 96 redesign, which eliminated the high seating position and low cowl, destroyed the character of the car with the catfish look and oval to death design. The car ran ok, but was so ugly, I'd never own one. Now, the 500. Nauseating on the outside, the inside is a great design. The seating position is good, but the el-cheapo dash just kills it for me. And LIncoln, don't even get me started. The Brand that once took me away from Cadillac, now has me driving a Lexus, and looking at Cadillac......
  • douglasrdouglasr Member Posts: 191
    In a memo to all Ford Employees, William C. Ford Jr. stated, 09-02-06: "We have aligned Ford-Mercury-Lincoln product development much more closely with Mazda and Volvo to achieve greater efficiency and produce more exciting vehicles. We have achieved similar success with Ford of Europe and P.A.G...." And MR. Ford adds: "Over the past few months I have made it my business to become more passionately involved in the detailed operations of our business..." In his bromide on 'Leadership' he stated: "These should not be days of 'fear', as one headline put it recently...". The memo outlines the strategy emphasizing the 'Way Forward' plan, Global Structure, and Leadership are the key factors that the 'team' is now focused upon.

Lincoln sales dropped 2.2% for the year to 82,132, and down 9.5% for August at 8,979. Town Car sales down 16.6% for the year as the model winds down at 26,989; LS crashing 48.8% with its discontinuation at 7,922; Zephyr the only bright spot selling 21,938 cars for the first eight months of 2006. 35,000 cars in its first year is not unrealistic for Zephyr. Jaguar sales continued its precipitous drop, minus 30.4% for the year at 15,350 with only the XK increasing 106.5% for August selling 393 cars, and 69.2% for the year at 3,043. Come the end of this month, Lincoln will have very few cars to talk about at the Paris Show...Mark Z & S being the only thing remaining...as Wixom will close far sooner than next spring. If you don't want a remaindered TC/LS, you have no choice but to pay more for a new "Z", or buy what is left of Zephyr stock. It's getting harder to buy a car called a Lincoln....and MR. Ford seems to have ensured that holds as what is left of Ford Motor automobiles are being merged toghether into a single car line with minor variation between the brands.

With the competition moving very fast, and Mr. Nasser putting his chips on the table, one wonders what details will be left for Mr. Ford to "pay attention to" by the time the dust clears. Fear is not the word I think I would use to characterise what is now happening at the Blue Oval. Mustang sales shot upwards 64%---one speculates that people might be getting nervous that Ford will move to bankruptcy and begin to curtail production of cars they want, so they are buying them now rather than later.

Mr. Ford pushed Wolfgang Reitzle out the door four years ago July 1, 2002, and he was the last publicly acknowledged Ford Executive that had a plan to invest in Lincoln..."I think the strategy is a convincinvg oneand this principle is independent of the people proposing it...the Lincoln brand is not sharp enough and is not consistent enough..." PAG his bailiwick, and when his Lincoln plan was rejected, and its offices moved back to Detroit, he left going to Lindt AG in Germany, which just merged with BOC to become the largest natural gas supplier in Europe. Landing Mr. Fields his job, from which he as quickly promoted again---bringing him to Detroit to hold sway over Lincoln. Now the whole of PAG may well be gone...and still no plan for Lincoln has been announced, much less hinted at, other than ubuqitious comments about 'luxury for the blue-jeans set., beyond 'merging' platforms together. At the end of the day there will just be different flavors of the same platforms...unique cars at Lincoln will be gone, as is the chance for them seemingly dimming---if we take MR. Ford at his word.

DouglasR

(Sources: Ford Motor Company; The Car Connection, Mike Davis interview with W. Reitzle, April 12, 2001; WSJ)
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    1) 15 Billion barrels or more just discovered in Gulf of Mexico! Rev up your SUVs.

2) Bill Ford just stepped down. Ex-Boeing chief taking over. Maybe Ford/L/M will take flight after all?
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    in the current issue of Forbes about the Town Car and Lincoln's future.

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/2006/07/17/bacakseat-driver-lincoln-cx_jf_0718f- lint.html
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Wow, good article.
    Sadly that pretty much sums up the situation.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    "Wow" is right. It is a good article. It nails FoMoCo management.
    It takes a lot to send a guy who bleeds Ford Blue out the door, but Bill Jr. finally did it to me....He's clueless, Nasser fired all the "car guys" because they were white, I guess, and so what you have left, is Accounting. Make a hellova car don't they?
  • douglasrdouglasr Member Posts: 191
    "It's the best car in the world"---Alan Mulally said of his Lexus 430. "It's being keyed right now..." Bill Ford Jr. said at the press conference introducing Mulally at the new CEO of Ford Motor to Bill Ford's 'promotion' at Executive Chairman. No different than the arrangement in Germany whereby Bernd Pischetsreider reports to Dr. Piech at VWAG.

Hopefully Mr. Mulally will not prove to be the 'Roy Hurley' of Ford Motor---Hurley representing the 'Management' Curtiss-Wright brought to Studebaker-Packard in 1958 that led to the demise of the company. "The reaons he called was not to restructure, not to get rid of stuff, not to sell it off...He called because he wanted to make the finest cars in the world." Mulally said yesterday at his appointment of CEO of Ford Motor.

"I think the U.S. can compete...there's no reason why we can't be the best in the world..." He added.

Mr. Mulally must now buy a Ford Motor product. If he is smart, he will arrive in a new Lincoln when he drives into the Glass House when he starts his tennure October 1. Though there are fewer competitors within the aero industry, the stakes are higher. He may know nothing about cars, but by making tough choices saving Boeing and bringing the 777/787 and checkmating AirBus, means that the various brands now might have a chance as resuscitation at Ford. Palace Politics aside, being that WCF Jr. could not convince another auto executive to run the company, this might be the best bet.

Jaguar and Astons will go...Land Rover might form the last triad of Mr. Nasser's new company. Ford and Mulally can use that money to regain what they lost.

DouglasR

(Sources: WSJ, FT, Ford Motor Company, Detroit Free Press)
    has lots on Ford's management change today as well as a serious look at what needs to be done immediately with Lincoln. Ford news in both the 'Rants' and 'On the table' sections found at the link below are good reading.

Seems like Ulrich Bez is putting together an employee buyout of Aston Martin. He wants to continue managing A-M as well as being a major shareholder.

http://www.autoextremist.com/index.shtml
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...if Mr. Mulally really thinks the Lexus LS430 is the best car in the world, perhaps he should try to get Lincoln up to that status. I would love to see a Lincoln with 1961-65 styling with a Lexus quality interior and workmanship.
    Amen, lemko. One thing is for sure, this is the last chance for Ford. Either Mulally will made dynamic, sweeping, (draconian?) changes and resurrect the company, or it will die unceremoniously as the last dynasty of American Business.

I agree with Lemko though - Finally we have a guy who doesn't think the Town Car is the benchmark for quality in the Luxury segment! They desperate need that input!

Driving an LS430 myself these days (only because Lincoln doesn't make a large Luxury sedan anymore), I can say from experience that it's not the best looking Luxury Sedan around, inside or out, but functionally, tactilly, kinetically, it is. If Ford can even get close to that level of tangible quality you can feel, and make it look great, Lincoln could get me back.
    Ford and Mulally can use that money to regain what they lost.

I hope so, but that depends on just how much Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin are worth on the open market.

The Forbes article above estimated Ford has $10B tied up in Jaguar and $5B in Land Rover. Would percentage of that $15B would any company pay Ford in cash for the two brands today? It might be in the 15-20% range: Jag might bring $1.5-2B and Land Rover not more than $1B.

Aston Martin may sell for a good price if the employees do buy it out as Ulrich Bez, the manager, is suggesting.
    $10 to S15 billion would make for a REALLY AWESOME Lincoln! GM only spent about $3 billion on Cadillac and look what happened. If Ford invests that $15 billion into Lincoln and works some magic, it might knock Lexus off its perch. Wow, imagine a classic Continental-styled Town Car with Lexus+ build quality. This would be one Caddy owner who might throw his key in the big jar, (remember the '80s Lincoln ads?).
    I think $3B or at the most $4B is what Jaguar and Land Rover combined would bring if sold today.

The $15B figure is what Ford has invested in the two brands since buying them, not what they are worth on the market.

Even $3-4B would be a wonderful boost to Lincoln, though.
    "Even $3-4B would be a wonderful boost to Lincoln, though."

Yes, it would, IF that's where they deployed it. But there's not even an implication that it would be spent on Lincoln. Nobody at Ford really seems to give a rip about Lincoln. Certainly, Bill JR didn't. If Mulally gets a Town Car for his company car, he'll flip after driving an LS430. Even the new Navigator has been ruined now. Probably the least objectional vehicle Lincoln has to offer now, would be the Mark LT. Never thought I'd say that.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    douglasr: Mr. Mulally must now buy a Ford Motor product. If he is smart, he will arrive in a new Lincoln when he drives into the Glass House when he starts his tennure October 1.

No...he must keep that Lexus, and tell the product planners to use it as the benchmark for quality and refinenment as the next generation of Lincolns is being developed.

He should, however, keep a 1940 Lincoln Continental, 1961 Lincoln Continental sedan and convertible and 1968 Lincoln Continental Mark III in the styling studio to inspire stylists as they work on that next generation of Lincolns.

douglasr: He may know nothing about cars, but by making tough choices saving Boeing and bringing the 777/787 and checkmating AirBus, means that the various brands now might have a chance as resuscitation at Ford. Palace Politics aside, being that WCF Jr. could not convince another auto executive to run the company, this might be the best bet.

This may not be a popular suggestion, but one of those "tough choices" should be dumping Mercury and figuring out a way to save the dealers and Lincoln.

The auto market is too competitive to waste resources on badge engineered versions of other cars. Most people under the age of 50 don't even care that Mercury still exists.

In reality, Mazda and Volvo today fill the niche that Mercury should fill, but doesn't, because Ford can't - and won't - spend the necessary money to give it a distinct identity.
    Who wouldn't?!? The sad thing is, an American marque can do it, if they have the will.

On a side note, I was watching Green Acres the other night and noted that the Douglas family drove a convertible 1961 or so Lincoln. Sweet looking car.
    Just imagine the lineup Lincoln would have today if Ford had given half the money wasted on PAG to the Lincoln division!

As Mr. Longfellow said..

'Of all sad words of tongue or pen
    The saddest are these - "It might have been".'
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I bet he will drive Jaguar. Jaguar provides kind of rescue for Ford folks who do not want to be seen driving domestic vehicle. As owner of Mercury I can confirm that you feel a lot of pressure from friends to drive European or Japanese car, or at least Hyundai if you do not have money regardless how good American branded car may be.

If Ford gets rid of British marques it will be left without luxury brand, like Honda. Nissan, Toyota, GM, VW – all have well established luxury marques. With all respect you cannot seriously consider Lincoln or Acura as a luxury marque.
    Yes, Oliver got a new Lincoln Convertible every year. It was quite the "farm vehicle".....Went with his Alpaca sweater.....
    With a serious investment Lincoln could recover over a period of 5-7 years.

As posted before, Lincoln needs a new Town Car (modern 1961 design), an LS, a top-line SUV, a coupe (a la Mark series) with companion convertible and an SL/XLR/XK type roadster.

There should be sport versions of the above to compete with the 'V' series at Cadillac.

We will see if the new CEO has the vision.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    He had a 1965 convertible, and then a 1967 convertible. In one episode, he stacked seed bags in the back seat of the 1965 convertible! I winced just watching it!

By the time the series ended, the Lincoln convertibles were gone, so the Douglases drove a full-size Mercury.

Mr. Kimble drove a modified Bronco.

No word on which one Arnold the Pig preferred.

Those Lincolns conveyed an air of sophistication and wealth to the "city-mice-in-the-country" Douglases.

Sadly, Lincoln makes no vehicles that would have the same effect today.
    Honda. Nissan, Toyota, GM, VW – all have well established luxury marques. With all respect you cannot seriously consider Lincoln or Acura as a luxury marque.

Acura is Honda's "well established luxury marque."
    Whether you're talking Acura or Lincoln, if your flagship is V-6 FWD, you don't have true luxury "cred"
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Where is the vision when there is retro styling? :(
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    and it only seats four comfortably. I agree with you.
  • To use retro elements in a completely modern design takes vision. Retro should not be a reproduction, but rather should reflect the brand DNA or the roots of past succesful models. Lincoln needs SOMETHING, besides the generic Japanese luxury reflected in the MKS.

Doing something truly Lincolnesque for a change might actually work. The MKZ could be a design from just about any non-luxury brand. And Lincoln is reduced to touting 35,000 annual sales of a relatively inexpensive car as a roaring success (I guess it is for a Lincoln on its knees). The Mark LT is an F150, not even thinly disguised. The Navigator has lost its way. The MKX is a thinly disguised Ford Edge, having almost none of the panache of the Aviator concept from which it was allegedly developed. The Town Car has died of neglect.
    On the 'Future Vehicles' board there is a Mercedes Benz Future Model discussion.

Merc1 recently posted pictures of Mercedes coupes from the last 50+ years.

The newer cars are undeniably modern, but there is a family resemblance across the years.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    There are many cues shared in a 55 300SL and an 07 SL550, for example. Of course, when a design is classic from new, it makes retro cues easier. Maybe that's the key. The hilarious 70s-looking instrument cluster in the new Navigator as tested in the Oct C&D is an example of retro gone bad.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    From what I heard so far Ford is rather considering scrapping Lincoln altogether with Mercury. There never were rumors than they may invest serious money in Lincoln. I think nobody at Ford higher management seriously considers Lincoln as Ford’s luxury division. This role was assigned to Jaguar and when it is gone there will be no luxury division. Well Renault and Peugeot somehow survived without luxury divisions.

I guess it is because culturally USA is not capable of producing luxury cars. All American luxury marques perished long time ago. Lincoln is just one example. It requires perfectionist approach in engineering, constant innovation, attention to details, craftsmanship and long-term commitment. American approach is “it is good enough to go to production” so we okay “next quarter”, we can "fix problems later" in next release, but most likely product will be obsolete by then, so "we are saving lot of money".
  • Except that Cadillac is now doing ok, and certainly is no longer simply laughable as it had been for too long. Chrysler is doing some interesting things. Even if you hate the styling, it is not an also ran in the near luxury field any longer. And the Imperial, as ugly as many see it, will succeed because of value for the dollar, and because of the demise of true Lincolns.

Over the 20th century, the USA produced many luxury brands and models that could compete anywhere in the world. Yes, there likely is a cultural problem, but perfectionist American consumers would be happy to buy American if the choice were there.
    when a design is classic from new, it makes retro cues easier

Very true, which is why many on this board have cited the 61-67 Lincoln as a design to emulate.

Both the sedan and 4 door convertible of the 61-67 body style are eye-catching and elegant 40+ years later.
    "Well Renault and Peugeot somehow survived without luxury divisions."

Yeah, in France.

It's inconceivable how Bill Jr. unceremoniously undid all the good things Nasser had done, along with some of the dumb ones. But PAG was a Good idea, certainly at the time, when Ford was awash in cash. Structurally, it still makes a lot of sense, and I hate to see it dismantled like a corpse to save Ford. If Jaguar is a hopeless money pit, ok, sell it, but the thing is, to me Jaguar/Land Rover should be merged. They're so complimentary - Jag for sedans and sport coupes, and L/R for SUVs. It's perfect! But they have to SELL in order to make bucks. From what I understand, the XJ is an awesome engineering triumph - but the Ford 500 guy designed it, so even though it's totally different than older XJs, it doesn't look it. No reason to buy it. Plus, Jaguar still suffers from their pre 98 reputation as horribly unreliable.

Aston Martin can go. It's such an exclusive car, Ford doesn't need it as badly....

Either way, Lincoln needs to be restored to its former greatness.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I'd like to see a new interpretation of that 4 door convertible...I wonder if they could get something like that to even come close to safety regs.

That Conti was Lincoln's most stylish moment...same the cues seen today borrowed from it just don't do it justice.
    "That Conti was Lincoln's most stylish moment...same the cues seen today borrowed from it just don't do it justice."

Right you are, Fintail, but I think that's just due to some budget constraints and tight reigns on J Mays. He can do a great job if give the freedom, like the Thunderbird, and the Forty-Nine. I believe he also did the New Beetle, if I'm not mistaken.
    Do I have to go the Dearborn and grab Bill Ford by the back of his head and smack his face into the desk until he gets it? Just build something like that Continental-esqe concept car I've seen and lose the stupid "Hot Wheels" rims. Just give it a good powertrain and don't skimp on the quality. What Lincoln proposes to build is a bunch of "pseudo-Acuras" and make the same mistakes Acura made. No RWD V-8 flagship? We all know how well Acura's RL sells.
    Any copy of an Acura will be a bad copy of an Acura.
    Here's an idea...Instead of making a counterfeit Acura, how about making a real Lincoln?

Now, where do I sign up for that Cobra-powered Continental concept 4 door convertible?

Yeah! That's the car I'm talking about! This is what we want! Not the Zephyr! Not some pimped-out pickup or SUV! And most certainly not some ersatz Acura!
    to offer the same car with a roof that folds away behind the seats.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Meh. Except for the grille, it looks like a stretch 300C. If that is supposed to save Lincoln's bacon, I'm firing up my smokehouse.