Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What is a Feature?

13»

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I am sure availability will be low enough to sell them all. That's just normal S550 money mind you. Something in S600/S55/S65 money would be more amusing. My local MB lot has 2 leftover S65s sitting around, stickering just under 180K apiece. I wonder if there are any leftover LS sitting around.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Only $180K, hell you need to buy both you and I one. ;)

Rocky
    Multimedia: Chrysler Introduces "MyGig" Onboard Hard Drive

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=116926

RORR, I need one of these !!!!! :blush:

Rocky
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Looks neat, but then I noticed this....

"However, you can't copy directly from an iPod."

All I can say is.....great idea, poor execution.
    That is very true.... Hopefully GM will address that issue since they will probably get a Delphi unit instead of a JCI unit.

Rocky
    Wake up son, we already discussed this over in the 'Gadgetology' thread..... :P

Kind of a waste of effort since most of my drinks are in insulated cups/mugs.....
    Well look at it this way pal, you could get those Coffee tea bags and brew ya a cup in your holder and save yourself time and money :P

Now that is a useable feature. ;) :P

Rocky
    "Well look at it this way pal, you could get those Coffee tea bags and brew ya a cup in your holder...."

Heck, I'll just wait for the redesigned '10 Dodge Rams to hit the lots. Maybe they'll go ahead and include a kitchen sink...

Why not? All you'd need would be an auxiliary water tank and a drain. You could even plumb it through a little water heater in the engine compartment to have H&C running water....

oh lord, I HOPE I haven't just inspired some Detroit designer somewhere....
    ROTFFLMAO aggggggggggghhhhhh hahahahaha :D WOW !!! That takes the cake for gadgetology. I agree the next Ram Mega Cab will probably include a "Sleeper". :D

Rocky
    Mega Cab?

By then, we'll be talking about Giga Cabs......
    ROTF !!!! I'd hate to park that sucker :surprise:

Rocky
    Can anyone explain to me what
    BMW's "Brake Fade Compensation circuitry" is on the X3 ???? Like how it works and does ? As a Gadgetologist, working on his PhD, I need to learn this one. :P

Rocky
    "BMW's "Brake Fade Compensation circuitry" is on the X3 ????"

I have NO idea.....but I know that sometimes I need "Brain Fade Compensation circuitry"..... :sick:
    rorr, you having a rough day pal ? I hope you get a feelin' better. :)

Rocky
    Sales of video, navigation systems to reach $1.1B

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061004/AUTO01/610040413/- - - - 1148

RORR, now this is the "ultimate feature" pal. ;):D I defintely need this unit pal !!!! :shades:

All I need now is a 2007' Cadillac Escalade ESV "Platinum Edition" hybrid to make the expierence absolute complete. :blush:

Rocky
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    re...no copying from the iPod to the hard drive...
    That is a Digital Rights Management (DRM) issue. Our friends at the RIAA (the people who are suing old ladies for downloading off limewire) want to make sure no one is violating the contract they agree to when opening a CD, or when downloading music via a legitimate source on the internet (iTunes music store, etc).
    Why do you want to copy all your music to your car if you have it with you on your iPod anyway?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    You can copy from an iPod to a computer, just not through iTunes.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    It seems to me that a lot of the things that set a car apart aren't listed as features. Triple turn signal activation on European cars (BMW, Volvo, Audi, and MB offer this--I'm not sure if any others do). Bulb failure warnings are another thing that is not usually listed as a feature.

Auto up/down windows usually are listed on the features list. Grip-style door handles (as opposed to nail-breaker door handles) usually aren't listed as a feature.
    Engineers, executives converge for the latest electronic, mechanical gadgets at Cobo Center.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/AUTO01/610170377/1148- /AUTO01

rorr, here's some more goodies for me pal. :D

Rocky
    Do you guys see the spread of more DVD-Audio 5.1-7.1+ surround sound units, or do you guys/gals think 2-channel sound that mimics "Dolby Digital" via using Dolby Pro-logic II and/or Logic-7 will be here to stay. As I posted in the "Where's Ford taking Lincoln" forum, I was shocked that Ford, took the initiative to have the most power unit on the market, using the MKZ and near future 2008' MKS, as the test guniea pigs. I will have to make my way to my local Lincoln dealer in Amarillo to see how much this "new system" impresses me. I know everyone has a respect for Dynaudio, but IMHO their is nothing like the quality of sound that emits from true 5.1 or better yet 7.1 surround sound. I will have to hear it first to say it's better than the ELS system in Acura, or Mark Levinson, in a Lexus. I did have a brief encounter with a new STS with the Bose Studio Surround and what little I heard of that system, I was very impressed. I need to sit in a Escalade to here its new 5.1 Bose system. ;)

Those are about it to the best of my knowledge, referring to factory DVD-Audio. I wonder if that new 1000 watt Bang and Oflusen? in Audi is a 5.1 unit ?

Rocky
    Any new car features to dazzle me with pal ?

I just can't remember which darn car or brand has heated windshields. If anyone remembers or knows please lemme know. I wanna say it was Ford or Lincoln, that had this feature but that is a best guess. :confuse:

Well anyways we miss ya on the boards....Hope all is well ;)

Rocky
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    give my old buddy Mulally a little time and he'll have heated windshields on those Ford's, if they don't have them already!

Watch out for the axe, Ford workers. Eeek! Bad memories of The Boeing Company linger, even though they're riding a great new wave of success on the back of the 787. It just keeps getting better for Boeing and worse for Airbus. Now John Leahy, Airbus CEO, is being told to slow down his own personal work ethic or the heart is going to protest vehemently. Airbus outsold Boeing for five straight years leading up to a complete turnaround in 2006. Gonna hold onto my Boeing stock even longer, though! ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

This morning did a report on automobiles black boxes that records up to "X" amount of time before a car accident, etc. I only caught bits and pieces of the story because I have to ill children with the flu. The subtitle was about "Big Brother" watching us even as we drive. They can use the recording mechanism in court to prove any wrong doing by the plaintiff or defendant.

Rocky

P.S. I guess our right to privacy is throw in' out the window even when we drive. :mad:
    Most newer cars have an event data recorder like the airplanes do. GM actually was one of the companies that started and pioneered the practice. The same system records vehicle paramaters for OBDII controls (what codes are stored, how long the light has been on, etc) also records X number of seconds before an airbag deployment or some other threshold event is triggered (stability control, etc) and has vehicle speed and throttle position and a few other things.
    This isn't new, just the media getting bored with mid-term elections overwith. Driving is not a constitutional right, and the data is only important if one is in trouble already, so people need to either accept the risk they are taking or putting on others, or not drive.
    I hope your kids are feeling better. Sick lil ones is no fun at all, especially on a holiday weekend.
    Most newer cars have an event data recorder like the airplanes do. GM actually was one of the companies that started and pioneered the practice. The same system records vehicle paramaters for OBDII controls (what codes are stored, how long the light has been on, etc) also records X number of seconds before an airbag deployment or some other threshold event is triggered (stability control, etc) and has vehicle speed and throttle position and a few other things.

I wonder if its law that you have to have one of these data recorders ? If so I wonder if you could challenge it ?

This isn't new, just the media getting bored with mid-term elections overwith.

Agree they are running out of story's but I'm glad it came up again. I'm surprised the "right to privacy" crowd hasn't came out against this. :confuse:

Driving is not a constitutional right

It might not be a right, but it should be admended to the consitution since our government has never invested the R&D dollars into public transportation like that found in other country's. Where's the bullet trains ? Buses to take me to and from work ? Seriously. If you want to get around here in Texas, you have to own a car and drive. The same goes for every other state. Sure their are exceptions to the rule like NYC, Vegas, LA, major metro area's that have better means of public transportation. ;)

and the data is only important if one is in trouble already, so people need to either accept the risk they are taking or putting on others, or not drive.

Like I said unless you are a bum you don't have much of a choice but to drive.

I hope your kids are feeling better. Sick lil ones is no fun at all, especially on a holiday weekend.

Tell me about it. I started getting sick on my birthday (saturday) and that really stinks. Luckily it hasn't been as bad of symptoms as my wife and kids. lilengineerboy, Thank-you for caring. :)

Rocky
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    Only thing worse than sick kids is the parents being sick at the same time making it really hard to care for the kids and be tolerant. Good luck.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

You ain't a kiddin'

Rocky
    TOKYO — Toyota says it has developed instant mapping capability for in-vehicle navigation systems, a breakthrough that will solve one of the major complaints about the high-tech systems.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119567

-Sounds like some very useful "Gadgetology" :)

Rocky
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    shows what I know about these gadgets. I thought that you could just type in an address right now on most of the systems found in car NAV systems and you would get a result that said "turn in two blocks-you're going too fast-turn left in 1 block-turn right at the Tasty Freeze."

Apparently not. Now Toyota has found a way to either take the voice of the driver and digitize it and give them a graphic display on how to get where they want to go? Or the driver can type in where they want to go and a result will come out for them?

I haven't ever had any of these NAV systems so I've got questions going in here about them. I suppose I could read your article linked, rocky, but I don't care enough about the technology...I am pretty good at reading maps. ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

From what I understand, the problem that Toyota is attempting to address is to keep the map data UPDATED to reflect changing road conditions (new roads, roads under construction, detours, etc.)

So, rather than having to go back to the dealer periodically to update the NAV system (or never updating the system at all), the system receives automatic updates.
    Alpine, Pioneer and Denso are all supporting this. My guess is it will require a subscription to offset the $150 cost of a new CD or DVD every 2-3 years.
    http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4024679

Innovative advances will soon make driving safer than ever.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon

Electronic stability control (ESC), which selectively applies brakes to one or more wheels when a vehicle is about to slide out of control, is the most important safety advance since the safety belt. Recent studies have found that ESC could save as many as 10,000 lives a year if all cars had the system. Beginning in 2012, the federal government will require that all new cars come equipped with ESC.
    On a smaller scale, backup cameras, another safety system that is becoming more common, can now help prevent accidents with children or objects hidden in a vehicle's rear blind zone.

The industry has gone a long way to make cars that can protect passengers in a crash, so now the trend is toward creating technologies for crash prevention. This will dictate the types of new safety systems we will see in mainstream cars. Most of the following have already turned up in limited use and the others appear to be just over the horizon.

Next-generation stability control. New ESC systems will go further in managing vehicle dynamics. One system, ESC II, is designed to provide slight steering input, together with selective braking and throttle reduction, to maintain control. Rear-wheel steering control through an active multilink suspension is also being looked at to work with next-generation ESC, providing optimum stability.

Pre-collision systems. Currently found on a few vehicles from Mercedes-Benz and Lexus, these sense a collision before it happens and take action to warn the driver and maximize the safety of all the car's occupants. It detects vehicles in front and can sound an alarm and display warning lights. The system then takes preventive steps such as fully charging the brakes and air bags, closing windows, adjusting seat positions for optimal air-bag effectiveness, and activating safety-belt pretensioners. An advanced pre-collision system in the Lexus LS600h L will detect pedestrians and animals on the road as well as other vehicles. And a camera will watch if the driver is not looking ahead at potential road hazards and sound an alert to get his attention if it senses an impending collision.

Adaptive cruise control. In addition to maintaining a set speed on the highway, this system can automatically maintain a safe distance from the vehicle ahead. It does this by using radar to monitor vehicles in front, and operates the brakes or throttle to slow or accelerate the car as needed. We tested adaptive cruise control in a few vehicles and some of our drivers found the systems to be annoyingly abrupt in their operation. By 2009, Volvo will have a system that works in stop-and-go traffic and will be able to bring a car to a complete stop if necessary.

Lane-departure warning. Cameras that detect the stripes between lanes can determine if a sleepy or inattentive driver has let the vehicle wander off its intended path. The driver is then alerted with a chime and warning light. We tested a system on the Infiniti M35x and found that the chime went off constantly on minor roads. Many of our drivers found it so annoying they turned it off. It was more useful on the freeway.

Brake assist. This system senses when emergency braking is required by gauging how fast the pedal is depressed. When panic braking is detected, brake assist builds up boost to use the vehicle's maximum braking capability even if the driver doesn't push on the pedal hard enough, which might happen in some crash situations.

Blind-spot detection. Many accidents occur when a driver tries to change lanes without being aware that a vehicle is in a blind spot. Audi and Volvo currently have systems that use warning lights connected to cameras or radar on the outside mirrors to tell a driver when a vehicle is in or approaching a blind zone.

Night vision. These systems use infrared technology to allow a driver to see objects, animals, and people well beyond the reach of a car's headlights. We've found them to be useful in some situations, but not ideal. New systems by BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Lexus might provide a greater range. In the past, we found these systems to be distracting; we hope that the new ones will be less so.

Rollover mitigation. Roll sensors augment stability control and determine if the vehicle is tipping up on two wheels. If an impending rollover is detected, stability control applies selective braking to suppress the roll motion. If that fails, curtain air bags are deployed and stay inflated for about six seconds to protect occupants from possible impact and to help keep them from being ejected.

Active head restraints. This technology moves the restraints behind a person's head forward during a collision to help absorb energy and prevent whiplash injuries. Neck injuries are the most common kind reported in auto crashes and tests have shown that good head restraints, especially active ones, are effective in preventing them.

Voice recognition. These systems already exist in some higher-end vehicles, where you can use them to control the climate, audio, cell-phone, and navigation systems. Early versions were cumbersome to use and had difficulties recognizing voice commands, but the technology has made great strides. Some voice-recognition systems are now used with Bluetooth technology, which pairs up your cellular phone to the car's audio system. Using voice commands instead of buttons, knobs, and touch screens should reduce driver distraction, which could in turn reduce accidents.

Intelligent networks. Tomorrow's cars will have high-speed data networks that allow communication between various automotive systems and other vehicles. Vehicles will be able to send warnings about hazards or potential accidents on the road. For example, if a driver loses control, the systems needed to stabilize the car will be activated and the nearby cars will be warned. In turn, these cars might activate their pre-collision systems or apply braking to avoid an accident.

Rocky
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Pretty soon the cars won't need drivers at all.

:-/

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Pretty soon the cars won't need drivers at all.

I heard about something like that, I think its called a train :P (or maybe a bus)
    Well, that's all well and good Rocky, but the MB is missing a VERY IMPORTANT new device that I'm sure Micky Waltrip wishes he'd had:

Volvo pioneers sleep detection system

Volvo is claiming a world first with a safety device that can monitor whether a driver is falling asleep at the wheel.

The Driver Alert system uses a camera installed between the windscreen and the rear view mirror, with sensors and a processor, to constantly monitor the distance between the car and the road markings.
    The vehicle is monitoring lane position. This is similar to the Infiniti lane departure warning system introduced 2 years ago.
    The Volvo system is actually overkill for what is doing. They could get the same information from steering entropy like the standard deviation of steering wheel angle. This can also help with distracted driver detection systems.
    All of the systems use similar sensing technology, its about sensor fusion and creating algorithms that optimize the data from each sensor.
    I love this stuff - well working on it, I don't want something that drives for me.
    Well rorr, it's gadgetology at it's best. ;)

Rocky
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Fingerprint Readers
    Newer cars will have "Fingerprint Readers" in order to start the car. You will need to hold your finger up to a little sensor on the dash before you can turn on the car.

Proximty Key
    I have seen this installed aftermarket on a car. You will only need to get close enough to the car and the Prox Key will automatically unlock the vehicle. Kinda like the "Speedpass" that Mobil has. This can also be used to eliminate the need for a key to start the vehicle, just by having the Prox Key with you in the vehicle you will be able to have Push Button Starters.

Multi-Camera Parking Systems
    Taking the rear back up camera to another level, have smaller camera's mounted near the for corners (or wheel wells) and you will be able to access them via the nav system screen for easier parking in tight spaces. You can also use this feature if you hit something on the highway (or a nasty pothole) you will be able to check your tire from inside. This can also be used in conjuction with a PVBB (Personal Vehicle Black Box (see below)) to have a instant replay of sorts for insurance companies in the event of an accident.

PVBB - Personal Vehicle Black Box
    This little item can be used in the event of a accident for not only insurance companies, but also personal. Example, you are parked in a parking garage and someone backs into your vehicle. There is quite a bit of damage, not to worry, with the camera's from above, you will be able to see who hit your vehicle and use this as evidence if need be. The PVBB will also keep track of speed, RPM's, etc, etc., this way a parent would be able to check on a child. Police would also be able to access this information in the event of an traffic violation.

That's all I have for now, let the bee's nest commence stirring.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    PVBB - Personal Vehicle Black Box have been in vehicles since the mid-90s (OBD-II collects most of that info and stores it anyway). There are few things that plug into the OBD-II port so you can track your kids' driving habbits (or just raise kids you can trust, which might be more challenging then just spying on them).
    Back-up cams are being driven by safety organaztions who don't like it when mom backs over her kids with some huge SUV. Now they are trinkling down (the Prius has it, among others). The new Tundra has a back up cam that is supposed to help you line up your trailer hitch to connect a trailer.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I believe the Prius also comes with a proximity key.
    It does with the technology package, but so many cars offer a proximity key now that the novelty has worn off. It was fun to watch my MIL, used to the proximity key in her Prius, struggle with why the door didn't unlock for her on an early 90s Honda, and also that the car wasn't going to do much without the key in the ignition.
    "New Technology" doesn't stay new very long.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    Will we ever get to the days (or back to the days) when you could take a car - any car, truck, SUV, anything and get what ever "feature" you wanted with out getting stuff you didn't want... When you could walk in and say I want a Mustang and I want to order it with the 4.6 GT motor with a manual tranny, but I don't want or need stuff like power windows, door locks (adds wieght and more things to wear out and break), or radio (since I plan on adding my own aftermarket system). Give me vinyl flooring and cloth seats, A/C since I live in the desert and also a sunroof, but I don't want a useless spoiler on the back and pointless foglights...

Or how about my Colorado truck that I want in a Z71 body style 2WD (finally can get that), in a Crew Cab and with a manual transmission and the 3.5 liter. I would like the sunroof, but cloth seats (they are cooler). Power windows and locks are fine (with 4 doors not reachable from the drivers seat I would want this over the safty of knowing the manual can always be rolled down....

Or any number of vehicles that I would like to customize to my liking but they have to be paired with other options, or sometimes, you can have one option but not the other....
This discussion has been closed.