Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Computer Problems

res88qe1res88qe1 Member Posts: 6
I am interested to ask other professionals that know these ford vehicles very well.

Is there one or more of you Techs that can tell me if it is possible to:

Accessing the Codes in Ford vehicles by shorting the connectors?

I know in the GM's you can short a and b and pull the codes which is the most common that I have in my shop other than the foreign vehicles.

If I may be of assistance to you please let me know and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thanks Again

Comments

• res88qe1res88qe1 Member Posts: 6
    I am looking for a head (Power Improved) XL3E series for the 5.4l engine.
  • res88qe1res88qe1 Member Posts: 6
    I am interested in finding a used scanner if anyone has one.

Thanks Friends
    :)
  • ford12ford12 Member Posts: 1
    what year is the ford ? what year is the gm
  • wendys1129wendys1129 Member Posts: 1
    Have 2001 F350 diesel. Problem started with wipers going on even when switch off and key removed.Problem went away on own. Now, when driving, the transmission stops, engine stays running though, truck just doesn't move. Shut truck off wait a bit restart and goes fine. Is this some sort of electrical short? Computer glitch? Dealer wants $1500 to look at transmission, but works fine when it starts and re :confuse: starts so do not believe that is the problem Any suggestions?
  • tybeetybee Member Posts: 2
    Engine started skipping. Took to mechanic. Mec. replaced computer. Truck runs worse. Took to new mec. Mec. says wrong computer installed. Must have old computer to match. Old computer thrown away. Any ideas? please , desperate.
  • emtdawnemtdawn Member Posts: 26
    Just about any Napa, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone will sell you the key to access codes for year, make and model car you need it for.
  • dshady1dshady1 Member Posts: 1
    Everytime it rains, my A/C, radio, key in ignition chime and a few other things come on when I'm not even in truck. The wireless remotes quit working as well. I'm sure it's condensation in a box but which one and where is it located?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    It may be worse than condensation. I betcha you've got a leak somewhere around the windshield that's coming down behind the dashboard and affecting your electronics. Unfortunately, things won't get any better, over time corrosion will set in and you'll be seeing things alot more troublesome than your current electrical gremlins.

I'd get under the dash with a strong lamp and start looking for evidence of water intrusion. Hopefully you can find it without too much trouble. Unfortunately leaks are sometimes a real SOB to find. (Pull back the carpet too, you'll probably find it's all wet behind it.) Hopefully your electromics will recover once you find the water source, and you don't need to repair a bunch of different things. :(:(
  • newfordguynewfordguy Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just bought a F-250 crew cab and need to modify 2 things:

1- Is there a way I could replace the headlights to
    give it a different look ?

2- Can I purchase the computer used to modify the
    truck's parameters as I need to reprogram the tire
    size from 20 inches to 17 for the winter season.

Thanks!
  • leewainleewain Member Posts: 1
    I bought vehicle used with 140,000km. I use it to tow a 5th wheel RV. On several occasions now, after towing for a while, when climbing a steep grade, there is an intermittent growl coming from the engine compartment. The power drops and I notice black smoke coming from the exhaust. The growl almost sounds like a bearing that is failing. Once the grade has been climbed, the engine seems to run normally. I would like to have some idea of what the problem may be before I take it to a deisel mechanic. Any ideas??? Thanks
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Does the engine have any mods? Chip? Propane? If so, it could be running too hot and causing the problems you mention. Could be that you're pushing the engine too hard pulling that heavy trailer up a steep grade and your turbo's getting too hot. If your exhaust temperatures go above about ~1200-1300 F, and stay there for any period of time, you could be courting problems - like turbo bearing failure. ($$$) If engine is stock, then I think the design normally prevents you from overheating things - you just run outta power well before things get too hot. You'd have to really beat on it for quite a while before the turbo gets too hot. (If you're stock, I'd see the mechanic, 'cause it seems like you may have some sort of cooling problem.) If you've got mods, then the equation changes, you've got the power to charge up those big hills and the exhaust gas temperatures can exceed the safe limit.

Does the truck have a Pyromter? That's a gauge that measures the temperature of the exhaust gasses as they come outta the turbocharger. As you climb a hill, watch the pyrometer, if your exhaust gas temp starts to climb quickly and goes over ~1200-1300, you need to back off on the go pedal and allow the thing to cool. You may have to go up the hill slower, but it'll save you expensive repairs.
    You may have problems in the offing; that growling sound seems kinda ominous to me.
  • rebelimprebelimp Member Posts: 1
    Our 1994 F350 7.3 liter is experiencing wiper issues. The wipers work on one speed only and if the washer button is depressed the wipers will not shut off until we turn the key off. We have changed the WCM (washer control module) and the problem still exists. We expect that it has a govenor for the delay but cannot find location - anyone have suggestion? :confuse: "> Thanks!
  • smunroesmunroe Member Posts: 2
    my f450 just died on me,i have changed the fuel pump,computer,vavlepan gaskets,glow plugs and the injector control module and the truck still would not start.the diagnostic machine does not give me any codes.can someone please help.
  • rubantinrubantin Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with my 1992 f-150... need resolution..

Russ
  • a1stevea1steve Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 that did tne same thing. No codes would not run. Stopped on the freeway. Broken or cracked oil pickup in the pan. The bad news. You have to pull the engine to fix it. I hope this helps
  • mlisa402mlisa402 Member Posts: 2
    My truck wouldn't crank just turned over replaced fuel pump and filter. Ran fine from Louisiana to Georgia. Nextday it wouldn't crank checked and was not getting no fuel through the filter. Checked relays and fuses then later a friend came by and it cranked right up. The next day it wouldn't crank again so we replaced the fuel pump with another. Still nothing. The tester says we are getting only 6 volts to the pump and we are supposed to be getting 12 he said. Someone told him how to jump the fuel pump to see if it was working with the wire harness that was there and it worked fine so now this person is saying that the PCM (Computer) is the problem. I don't know what to do replace the PCM or what. Before all of this truck was missing and shop put it on machine and the #4 plug and coil was replaced no the unit that is in my truck where the shop is supposed to hook machine up to does not work and some one is telling me that could be part of the computer problem to. PLEASE HELP ME I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO OR WHAT IS WRONG JUST KNOW I DON"T HAVE 85 AN HOUR TO PAY A SHOP
  • larry69larry69 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 ford f-150 and it is doing the same thing as mlissa402 is doing can anyone tell me what is wrong with it. It will turn over but it won't start. I got it started twice then turn it off to see if it would start again and it would turn over but not start. I would appereciate it if someone could tell me the problem
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Did you check the inertial fuel cutoff switch?

Mark.
  • tybeetybee Member Posts: 2
    Mark, where is it ? I have a '90 F-150, 300 ci. six. Have had it for years. Recently having awful, awful problem with fuel delivery, sporatically bogging down/dying. Otherwise, runs like race horse, nine miles in ten. Have had massive garage bills between the three reputable garages I've grown to dislike very much. I don't know if the item you're referring to is on my truck, but its the first time I've heard mention of it. Otherwise, everything else has been replaced, much to my shagrin. Please help if you can.
    no i have never heard of it can you tell me where it is located on the truck is it the shut off switch
    I have no idea where it is on the 90. On the 2001, look for an access panel in the footwell of the passenger side of the cab.

usually its up against right side, its basically a rubber button/plunger you push down to reset.

<ark
  • harleyjockeyharleyjockey Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 F-150 has a dead miss, took it to the dealer, changed PCM. Truck still has a dead miss, right around 45 to 55 mph or on an incline. Took the truck back to the dealer, could not (find)the problem? The miss is not constant, only every once in awhile it will chug. Any idea what this is? Taking it back to the dealer in the morning. :mad:
    checked the inertial fuel cutoff but i had to push it up then push it back down is it suppose to stay pushed down. thanks for the help
    it is only suppose to pop up when you have enough of a shock to trip it. like an accident.

Mark.
    thank you for your help i am going to replace fuel pump in the morning hope that fixes the problem. It is a nice looking truck and hate to have to get rid of it just hope that fixes the problem changing fuel pump
  • fcbaileyfcbailey Member Posts: 3
    About 4 months ago our 2002 Ford F350 Diesel began having problems with the door remote not working sometimes, then one day I had hooked up my horse trailer and pulled it forward, turned off the engine and about 5 minutes after I got out of the truck the doors locked themselves - the keys were inside. We continued to have the remote problem and the doors occasionally locked themselves (I always take my keys out of the truck now after being locked out 2 times). Then, about 2 months ago, we noticed that the radio began flashing the bass, tremble features as if we had pushed the menu button to adjust but we had not touched the stereo and it was on - this happens on and off while driving but it does not affect the radio, the lights just keep flashing on the front of the stereo. This weekend while driving the truck, it was raining, I made a couple of stops and found that the windshield wipers would not turn off even if the truck was turned off. I had to disconnect the battery to stop the wipers? Is anyone familiar with what the problem could be?image I don't want to pay Ford to trouble shoot if I don't have to. Thanks
  • fcbaileyfcbailey Member Posts: 3
    I have been having similar problems with my truck but they started in September, it just started raining here last week. My door remote only works occasionally and worse yet, the doors sometimes lock themselves about 5 minutes after parking and exiting the vehicle. My stereo works but the bass, , balance adjustment lights flash randomly for no reason and last Friday my wipers would not turn off even after I turned off the key, I had to disconnect the battery to get them to stop. HELP!
  • jamiehjamieh Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the same truck. I have changed the WCM and the turn signal switch ($250.00 +) still no luck.
  • t24462446t24462446 Member Posts: 1
    Try replacing the cam sensor located by the water pump.
  • 90f25090f250 Member Posts: 2
  • 90f25090f250 Member Posts: 2
    Hi.

Can anyone tell me if the computer for a 89 F250 and a 90 F250 are different in any way?

Thank you.
  • katthomaskatthomas Member Posts: 3
    Hi! We have a 98 F350 that was a tow vehicle and has been converted back to a work truck. Now when your driving down the road at any speed and you turn the wipers on the check engine light will come on and the engine will die and cut back on again or if you pull over when it dies the engine will usually start right back up. We tested the wiper motor and when the motor would come on other electrical components will loose ground and the truck will try to die so we replaced wiper motor... no progress. Could this have anything to do with the cam sensor? :confuse: Some rewiring was done but not found any problems with it yet. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
  • mrbbmrbb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel that does the same thing as previous post by katthomas. I can let the truck idle in the driveway with the wipers set on intermittent for about a 9-10 second delay and after 7 minutes, the motor cuts out. The wipers keep going and the electrical inside the cab (radio, lights, etc) keep functioning. I have replaced the Cam Position Sensor and problem is still persistent. The truck can be restarted after a few seconds.
  • badloserbadloser Member Posts: 2
    I dont think you can I have never heard of it. I would recomend a SCT livewire to check out the codes
    You can get a book at Advanced Auto Parts or Napa. Actually, just about any auto parts store will have them and they do tell you exactly how to access the codes and exactly what they mean. I think they run around $25.00 Good luck.
  • johnny_bravo38johnny_bravo38 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, I have a 2001 F350, 7.3 no modifications. Intermittently, the check engine light comes on and the throttle becomes unresponsive. The engine stays at idle. If the truck is rolling at 10 mph or higher I can turn on the cruise control and speed up using the accel button on the steering wheel. i.e. the accel button makes the engine rpm's increase but the throttle won't. Also when this happens the transmission shifts into 3rd WAY early and with a hard thump then immediately jumps back into 2nd. (I hope I got the gear numbers right. Maybe it is shifting into OD?) I've replaced the fuel filter and oil filter. Maybe coincidence??? but this seems to have started with the new low sulfur diesel. Maybe coincidence??? The problem also seems more prevalant when it is very hot and humid outside. I live in Alabama. It happens when the engine is cold coming out of the driveway and when it is at temp running down the road. All engine gauges look normal and other electronics on the truck work fine.
    Please help. I'm loosing my mind!

Thanks in advance!
    John
  • 02f35002f350 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 F350 7.3 Diesel that does the very same thing. It cuts out when the wipers come on or when driving down the highway it misses very bad. I have replaced the cam shaft sensor and the wiper motor with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • edf350edf350 Member Posts: 1
    John

I have the same problem with a 99 F350 Diesel and have yet to find the fix. Did you have any luck?

Ed Boyle
    Before replacing the fuel pump, replace the gas filter. Located on the frame on the driver's side, kinda located under the driver's door area. Filter cost around $10.00, it takes a special tool that costs less than ten dollars for the press on connections. They are spring loaded connections. We had the same problem.. and it was the filter. Found out, what we should have known.. buying cheap gas at cheap stations is a big no, "NO". All your Mobile, Exxon, British Petroleum stations have refineries. All your places like Pilot, El Cheapo and discount gas stations buy from the lowest bidder. They are getting dirty gas, probably sold by the refineries when they get down to the bottom and have to clean out their tanks..so they sell this crap to the guys who deliver to these cheap gas stations. We checked our filter..it was filthy, shook ours out in a cup size glass and got a quarter inch of dirt out of it. My husband was ticked. And, if you keep buying this crappy gas, it's only going to end up costing another bill getting your injectors clean. We thought about it and we had a friend who used to "always" buy from the cheap o places.. he got stuck out on the lake and looked in his tank and all he saw was dirt!! Take care, and Happy motoring... we love our F-150, but it wants to be fed better gas! Our last F150 had 298,000 miles on it and we sold it, buyer is still running it a year later and loves it! Home maintenance!!
  • honhon Member Posts: 34
    Take it back to the first mechanic. DUH.
  • 98autobahn98autobahn Member Posts: 4
    Maybe someones had this problem before, my dad just bought a 96 f-150 (straight six), on his way to work it shut off, we figured the ICM, bought one put it in , started right up, next day it did the same, put another ICM in, started up 30 min. later did the same. Anyone have an idea what would be causing the ignition control module to go every half hour? Any help would appreciated. Thanks
  • nickywnickyw Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 ford f-250 super duty 7.3 diesel.sometimes when driving or at first start up it will not recognize the throttle when pushed.you can push throttle many times but it acts like it don`t recognize the action.it will not rev it stays at idle.if you turn engine off and restart sometimes that fixes it.
  • tyson7tyson7 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 97 F 150 THE CODE READ RANDOM MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE. THE COIL PAKS REPLACED MAF SENSOR REPLACED.. LOOKING TOO FIND SIMULAR PROBLEMS AND CURES TOO EXPANCIVE TO HIT AND MISS . THIS DOESNT DO THIS ALL THE TIME BUT ENOUGH TO BE A HEADACHE.
  • cable_guyxxxcable_guyxxx Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2000 f-250 6.8L V10 4x4,Automatic... One day last summer right after refueling I was sitting at a red light and my engine just died, I went to crank it over in neutral, and it started right up. When I put it back into drive the whole truck jumped forward about a foot and then killed the motor again. repeated the process a few times and finally after reving engine to about 3000 rpm's and slamming it into gear it took off but was real sluggish and non-responsive... Shortly after that the check engine light came on.. :mad:

I took it to a transmission shop they thought it was a pump inside the transmission that was warped, but quickly figured out that it was not. So they unplugged the transmission from the computer to test on their diagnostics machine, it shifted through all gears just fine. And apparently with the computer unplugged it will drive like an old school tranny.. just hi and low gears (2 and 3) no 1st or overdrive but you have to manually shift.. so they told me it was most likely a computer issue and to take it to the dealer. So I took it to ford and after the $543.40 diagnosis fee and a week of headaches they supposedly found nothing wrong with any part of the computer or electrical system besides a misfire on cylinder 9.( Which I fixed) And then they told me they thought it was the transmission!!..If anyone knows what might be wrong please help!!! Having to manually shift with no overdrive I'm getting roughly 5 miles to the gallon on the highway and I'm working out of state!!!! :cry:
    Thanks,
    Ryan
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    P0300 is a tuffy when it is intermit ant. The PCM detects random misfires but doesn't know why. This usually means something that the PCM doesn't know about; fuel pressure, power to the coils, something like that. I would first check the fuel pressure and test drive it until the misfires occur again, and see if there is a drop in pressure during the test. Unfortunately, you have to start ruling things out, or keep changing parts.
  • seaboberrseaboberr Member Posts: 1
    Nick, I am having same problem. Throttle often has no response. Now getting severe bumps from trans. F-250 diesel s/d. Did you find the problem with yours? Thanks, bob
  • stollsteimerstollsteimer Member Posts: 1
    i am having severe problems with my truck and also looking for answers, my troubles seem to be related to water or cold, when something on the truck gets wet it will idle ok util you put in gear, the speedometer gose nuts... maxing out at 100mph, when i put the truck in gear it dies. this started to happen when we get snow at first. but now when i wash the undercarrage or under the hood. it also stalls sometimes, most recently it did it when i washed the truck and it was cold out . i avoided getting water under by the tranny or speed sensor on the rear end and it still went nuts.. if i am moving its ok the speedo still gose crazy and the od light flashes but it will work till i stop and then die.. sometimes it stops within 1/2 to 1 hr. but has lasted as long as two days cycleing the key helps to get it rolling again butit dose not always work doyou have the spedo problem or know of anyone who has heard of this????
  • cwhitewatercwhitewater Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 F-150 and had changed the starter on it after that it never started again. it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't, I had put a wire in the spark plug wire and held it to metal, and there was no fire at all, so could it be the Ignition Control Module or something else, and I don't know where to find the module to take if off so I can get it tested or matched to purchase a new one. so please help me figure this out.
  • charliekilocharliekilo Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

The instrument cluster on my 2001 F350 (88,000 miles) suddenly went dead today. In addition to the instrument cluster, the windows do not roll down the horn doesn not honk when locking the doors remotly and the dome light flashes like I have the hazard lights on.

I have checkd all the fuses and cannot find any that have blown. The truck runs fine and the rest of the electrical system seems to work without any problems.

I live in the high desert and we have not had any rain for quite some time so I doubt I have an condensation issue.

Any feedback would be greatly appriciated.
  • jrob73jrob73 Member Posts: 1
    I got a 1999 F350 with 7.3
    The truck starts and idles fine
    When I am exelerating (changinging gears) The trucks vilantly shakes just once
    The check engine light comes on briefly (less than a second) when this happens
    Once the light goes out the truck is fine until the next time
    Its almost as if you turn the ignition switch off then right back on
    Checked all fuses and relays All connections in harness
    Have had on the computer/scanner No codes No help
    I am lost Please help
    Thanks John