Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Si Sedan

Comments

• blairspeedblairspeed Member Posts: 11
    How do you like the Axxis pads?? So far the stock brakes work really well in my opinion.
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    They work well, IMO. I've used them before, though. I find they make a little more noise on the Si than previous cars, but it is going away as they wear-in.
  • blitzebillblitzebill Member Posts: 25
    i'd have to agree that the stock brakes on the Si sedan are quite good.
    Nothing wrong with the stock brake pads if you're just driving the car as a commuter, but should you get them hot, you'll find them not the equal of the rest of the car. Ultimates are fade critical at 1000 degrees Fahrenheit - OEM? Not certain, but doubt it is much over 700 degrees and that isn't that hard to reach.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    not the first time i've heard this about the si; the gti has the same problem.

so the tl type si couldn't pull away from an si on the straights? i never got a chance to watch the video!

Perhaps this should be a message to honda that the tl needs to have sh-awd or be rwd? if i had a type s, i'd be pissed if an si out-anythinged me!
  • a10thundera10thunder Member Posts: 19
    You have to watch the video yourself. The TL Type S had a camera mounted on the back to film the Si sedan, so the two cars weren't racing. If they were racing, even the regular TL will pull away from the Si on the straights. The Si sedan will only have a fighting chance on tight corners, where the TL's weight, wheel base, suspension, and lack of LSD come into play.
  • maverickjmaverickj Member Posts: 16
    have you guys heard you could win a Danica Patrick limited edition Honda Civic Si Sedan? its a sweeps called "get the call, get the car" if u win she will personally call u to say congrats :) cute girl...fast car...nice. wouldn't mind having one since especially after seeing the pics
    No, the Type S easily pulled away from the Si on straights but was so heavy that it didn't corner nearly as well as the Si, giving the Si a chance to make up lost ground and get back on the rear bumper.
  • themistoclesthemistocles Member Posts: 95
    there were many points in which the si coulda been slammin on the gas when the TL was braking. Si's handeling is incredible for a stock car
    ah, thanks for the post guys.

I agree themistocles, the si is wonderful handler.

mabye if honda actually gave the tl rwd, it would have fared better. or at least give it sh-awd with something other than a v-6 to compensate.
  • blitzebillblitzebill Member Posts: 25
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    I've got about 2800 miles on my Si Sedan and I'm starting to notice a little grind when shifting into 3rd gear. I've noticed/read how a lot of you guys have switched trans fluid and remedied the problem. Can you tell me again which trans fluid is the best?
    Thanks!
    I have over a hundred thousand miles of positive experience with GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh, but many folks also like AmSoil Synchromesh.
  • forbesjforbesj Member Posts: 22
    I just figured I'd share. I was just out for a drive in my recently out of break-in period Si Sedan.

Suffice to say, through much of the drive, I had a fecal matter eating grin plastered across my face. It's plenty quick, and even on the stock all season tires, handles so well that it's uncanny. I can barely even tell it's FWD.
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    "fecal matter eating grin"

wow.... that's the most.... original phrase i think i've ever heard. glad you like it though, i can't wait to take mine out into some winding roads and just start playing. :D
  • bf04bf04 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all, I have about 1k miles so far on my 07 SI and loving it. When it comes to cars, I am pretty much lost. I goto Jiffy lube since it is convienant to my house, we have no honda dealership within 50miles. I think Jiffy lube uses Mobile synthetic oil. Does anyone have knowledgef Jiffy lube oils and recommendation on what to get? I would like to change over to synth and figure first oil change is good one to do it.

thx
  • siarizonasiarizona Member Posts: 15
    I am 40 & will likely purchase an Si sedan. Good value, MPG, 4 doors, full size trunk, stealth look & fun to drive. Pretty easy choice for me.

I had the previous Si hatchback in silver. A little too unusual, hard for folks to get in back, performance not so great.

I had a 1989 Si hatchback... one of my favorites. Have also had 2 regular 1998 & 1999 Civics and the first generation Odyssey.

Best thing about any Honda is you can drive the living tar out of it, park it, and it will be ready to go again the next morning, and still get great gas mileage for 100K +.

For the $, Honda cars & motorcycles rock. If I had the extra dough, I'd be driving a BMW 335i...

As someone else on the board said, "BMWs are built to be driven on the autobahn and serviced by highly skilled technicians with special tools. Japanese cars are meant to drive in heavy traffic with minimum maintenance." Good observation. I've had 2 BMW motorcycles and loved them dearly, but they were expensive to maintain.

Thanks to all you Si owners who are posting positive & negative info--helps me make an informed decision.

Have fun & be careful out there.
    bf04, it's unfortunate that your Honda dealer is so far away. I have heard a lot of horror stories about Jiffy Lubes, but maybe the one near you is honest. The oil filter for the Si is very hard to get to. When you go in for an oil change, I would suggest asking them to show you the oil filter they took out, just to keep them honest.
    I wouldn't let those jackasses touch my car. But then I don't like anyone but my mechanic touching my car. Try Wal-mart instead, as you can at least watch them a little better than jiffy lube and they are all corporate run instead of being franchised.
  • bf04bf04 Member Posts: 6
    I can watch my jiffy lube easily and seem honest. I live in a small town. We do have a merchant tire and auto I get my major work done at, would you suggest them instead? I have no problems with Merchants or Jiffy.

thx for the replies.

PS. If I do goto the Honda dealership to get oil change, do they have synth and do I just go by their recommendation?
    Where you do the oil change doesn't matter, as long as you can trust the mechanic. You also want a place where you can watch them do the oil change. Make sure they put in synthetic and replaced the oil filter. Honda dealers will go by manufacturer specifications so they will not put in synthetic unless you ask. Even then, it's a gamble if they actually remember it. Some places will let you bring the filter and motor oil.
  • nagatahawknagatahawk Member Posts: 12
    siarizona,
    I have a bmw 325 i manual. and am considering a si sedan.
    I love the bmr's rear drive. you really can't beat that. the inline 6 purrs like a kitten. the car is very smooth.
    However the cars feels heavy. the steering is a little slow unless you yank it and the suspension is on the soft side. Although it does handle even with the soft underpinnings.

I have driven an si sedan. the car was very nice except that it did not idle down between shifts. Iv'e heard there is a fix for this. I will have to go for another re-test drive to see if the factory has addressed this little annoyance. the car feels light and agile compared to the bmer and with lay down seats it has way more storage room for my rc cars and my mt. bike. I wonder how the '08s will drive? (re the idle down issue)

I like the habanero red color and the nav system. HOnda doesn't charge you 400 bucks for pearls or metallics. this I like.
    The median age of an Si coupe buyer is 25, the Sedan is 30. 80% are male, on both of them.

My ~55 year old father drives a Mazdaspeed3, and likes my Civic. My ~52 year old mother drives an 07 Miata (6 speed), and also likes the Civic. They also have an 07 Jeep Commander on lease, and a 4cyl Tacoma, but the Mazdas are their daily drivers except during the winter. I think my father prefers my car to his, as he doesn't really push the Speed3 very much, and the Civic is quite a bit more slick when you aren't trying to get every once of performance out of it.

When my father gets tired of the Speed3 in a year (he's a new car junkie), I might offer him a trade; my Si should be worth more than the Speed3 by then, and he'll have put some more economical all season tires on the car, too. Furthermore, I'll know the car has been meticulously taken care of.

This is my first Honda; my previous car was a 2001 Hyundai Accent that I bought new for $8000, and previous to that was an old beater 86 Chevy pickup. I'm not in to the whole throwing lots of money on swapping new cars constantly thing.

Anyway, the median age means that half of the people that buy the car are older, and half of them are younger, as opposed to an average, which might be a bit higher than the median.
    I saw a sweet light silver Civic 4 door sedan with Si wheels in Korea today. I stopped to look and saw it had a sunroof,"> leather seats, an auto tranny w/paddle shifters, and a small lip on the rear fender rather than the Si's wing. Rear badge read "2.0i-VTEC"

When I was in Germany a few weeks ago, I also noticed the European style of the Civic... I was actually quite impressed, I really liked the body style it has. Unfortunately I didn't think to snap any pictures, but if you ever see some photos, you'll see what I mean.
    Ahh, Germany. It would ve very hard to drive a Honda in the land of BMWs. I enjoyed my time there.
  • tseoshtseosh Member Posts: 26
    "I have driven an si sedan. the car was very nice except that it did not idle down between shifts. Iv'e heard there is a fix for this. I will have to go for another re-test drive to see if the factory has addressed this little annoyance..."

I consider the rev hang problem more than an annoyance. I have an '07 Sedan and the rev hang absolutely kills the driving experience everytime I have to shift. Despite many claiming that it is "fixed" on the '07 Si, it is very much a part of my daily driving experience. If Honda fixes the rev hang for the '08 models, I would hope they apply the fix to the '07s, too.
    the rev hang absolutely kills the driving experience

I may just not be experienced enough yet as a performance driver, but i haven't really noticed the rev hang or how it "kills the driving experience"... I just go out playing and have all kinds of fun. Last night I spent 30 minutes in some back roads, an deverything was going great. :D I love my little baby...
    this is the civic that other markets get (except europe) that we dont get here.

this car is a nice middlepoint that we need here in the states: the 2.0 k20 pushing 155hp, a sport auto tranny, nicer interior, etc. Something to better compete with the mazda 3 gt.

ofcourse, ours would have the usdm civic face, and not the jdm taillights or headlights.

HONDA: makes this civic for our market. we will love you more!

the wheels are actually what was available as a honda factory performance package for the 7th generation civic...but they were never si wheels, at least not here in the states.

this is a sharp looking car; even if it looked like ours does, but still had the midrange k20 with a leather/sport fabric interior with the sport A/T, id seriously consider a civic again.

This car is rebadged the csx in canada, under the acura nameplate. There is also a csx type-s, which is basically their version of the si sedan.
    I notice it, I feel it when upshifting in non-sequential order (which I tend to do a lot), and, frankly, it's not a big deal to me.

Example:

I burst onto a 45mph speed limit road in 3rd gear, and then shift right to 5th or 6th to cruise once I get up to speed, when the engine is around 5.5k RPMs

The rev hang makes a bit more work for the clutch there, and a slightly less smooth shift as the engine slows down to match the transmission.

Also, it definitely affects engine braking when you're in situations where you don't have the engine pushing 5k RPMs+ - if the engine is zinging along, you get pretty immediate engine braking, but at slower speeds, it feels more like an automatic when you let off the gas. Hardly a deal breaker.
    mabye for some, but who wants automatic traits in a car, when you bought it for its killer manual transmission?
    The sum total of the trait is when the engine is at <3k RPMs, and you let off the gas, it takes a second or so longer before you feel the engine braking.

If you're at 5k+, then you feel the engine braking just fine.

As compared to the "can't shift the damn thing to 5th" or "Yes, I just jerked everyone in the car around in shifting to 2nd gear slowly" Speed3, or the "Couldn't tell how fast I was going because it was too soft and quiet inside" GTI; nothing's perfect!

In the real world, this doesn't exactly make a difference. If I want to use engine braking, I down shift to do so. That letting off the gas while doing 60mph on the highway doesn't decelerate right away isn't much of an issue to me. It clearly bothers some people, and I can see how the throttle could be a deal breaker to some, but it isn't to me. That the throttle isn't absolutely instantaneous is something I notice, but it responds quickly enough.
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    That letting off the gas while doing 60mph on the highway doesn't decelerate right away isn't much of an issue to me. It clearly bothers some people, and I can see how the throttle could be a deal breaker to some, but it isn't to me.

Just wondering if this is a flywheel issue? It sounds like the flywheel needs to be lighter. Has anyone tried replacing the flywheel with a lighter aftermarket one to see if it helps?
    Voids warranty I know but still lots of guys hop them up.
    A flywheel is no big deal. It would irritate me but I will see if the 2008's are any better.
  • k5ldbk5ldb Member Posts: 62
    Nothing you do to your car, short of converting it to a race car, voids your warranty. Did I mention that nothing you do to your car voids your warranty? Dealers will give that con line and then whoever is told it will go around repeating it until everyone is repeating it like it's true. Actually, nothing you do to your car voids your warranty. The worst case scenario is you do something that can possibly void warranty coverage on specific components or systems only but not the entire car. The only way part of the warranty can be voided is if they can unequivocally prove that a failure was due to an unauthorized modification. If you change the flywheel it might affect warranty on your clutch but it legally can not affect warranty on your a/c or electrical or radiator or, or, or. That is federal law, so work on spreading the word that nothing you do to your car can void your warranty, unless you convert it to a race car that is. When they admit Honda to NASCAR along with Toyota and you set yours up then your warranty will be void. Until then, no.
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    Nothing you do to your car, short of converting it to a race car, voids your warranty. Did I mention that nothing you do to your car voids your warranty? Dealers will give that con line and then whoever is told it will go around repeating it until everyone is repeating it like it's true. Actually, nothing you do to your car voids your warranty. The worst case scenario is you do something that can possibly void warranty coverage on specific components or systems only but not the entire car.

I guess it will help to have a good lawyer to remind the dealer since they always try their level best to find a reason to void the warranty. Having the law be true and enforcing it can be costly. I've had enough dealers in the past tell me about voided warranties and then your cars sits unfixed.
    If you autox your car then they will say it wore everything out prematurely. They LOVE to do that!
    But I will look into it more when i get back. I don't plan on any mods to any car I buy much past tires and different sway bars. Mazda tried to void my warranty on those! I went to a different dealer and they didn't care, so it's probably more the individual car dealer than it is the manufacturer. Problem is the other car dealer called up the dealer I took it to on the phone and told them I must race the car or something.
    The problem was actually a faulty sensor and couldn't be related to the sway bars.
    Some dealers do try and do this tho. :mad:
    Hopefully Mitsu has stopped their policy of voiding warranties in my area. Honda I never modified in any way so no drama there. :)
  • teasipteasip Member Posts: 16
    "Old" man in middle-aged crisis (48 y/o) looking for a new vehicle in the next couple of months. Interested in the Si in a similar format as the '07 model but I've been reading about the MUGEN '08 model. Pardon the potentially silly question but is the MUGEN going to be the only '08 Si model available or will I be able to get a comparable '08 like the current '07? Co-worker has a daughter at a local Honda dealership and I was able to drive it (coupe) during a lunch break and it reminded me of my old Nissan Sentra SE-R.
    teasip, the primary model available of the 2008 Si will be very similar to the '07 Si model (a few changes are likely, but nothing very significant), and they'll be doing it in both the coupe and sedan styles as well. So yes, you will be able to get what you're after.

Comments on the '08 Mugen model contained here: Mugen Si First Drive Article Review... personally, I'm fairly unimpressed...
  • teasipteasip Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the info.. For the price and the sporty response (compared to 12 years of trucks), as well as the gas mileage, it might be good car to consider (normal aspirated Si).
    the mugen is normally aspirated too, but the price is totally supercharged.
    Isn't the Mugen primarily assorted eye candy with not much else?
  • iomaticiomatic Member Posts: 48
    Supercharged price, not supercharged engine.
    That would be a fairly accurate description... all just a bunch of appearance stuff plus a stiffer suspension and bigger wheels. That's about it.
    Just took another look at it and it has an exhaust system, suspension and wheels/tires that could improve performance/handling along with the eye candy stuff. It says "will carry an under-$30K price tag" which sounds like marketing talk for $29,995 or something like that. Even if they are starting with the Nav car at $23,040 that's almost $7k extra and if it's the base car at $21,290 it's closer to $9k.

A little surfing yields a complete ground effects/wing package for $1244, coilovers for $1098 and Magnaflow exhaust for $498 totalling $2840. A really nice set of 18's could be had for say $2k and installation of everything for maybe $1k so for less than $6k one could easily create their own. If one is selective in wheel choice the entire package probably comes out about $5k and if one can do their own installation about $4k covers it.
    your right, but whatever body kit you are talking about wont have the same fit and finish as the mugen stuff....

this is the thing that is hard to comprehend and yet accept at the same time.

Mugens stuff is pretty much equal to if not BETTER in quality to what honda already puts on their vehicles...and hondaphiles know this. And they KNOW how to tune a car...they have the civic type r pumping out 250hp NATURALLY ASPIRATED! Granted it probably costs a bit, but if there was engine work done instead of the visuals, it would make such a stronger case for the car.

Mugens stuff has ALWAYS been expensive. But in the real world, outside of jdm mania, 30k buys you a lot, hence why i don't think anyone interested in this car is interested in the most bang for you buck, as the regular si already offers that. This is a limited edition model that will hold its value like the r32 has after its already out of production, and will be sought after by enthusiasts.

I love mugens products, but outside of engine/suspension/exhaust/wheels, the stuff (visual sytling) IS overpriced. Its the absolute best you can buy, but it is overpriced. And for the american market, we could have done much better with a type r.

Do the amount of parts put on the mugen equal a 30k tag? yeah they do, mugen really does charge that much for their stuff. But considering how honda is marketing it,(a much sportier, not just cooler looking civic) its not worth it, unless you REALLY want your civic to look like the mugen. Can you imagine what you could do with an si sedan with an extra 7 k? This car is cooler looking, but its only slightly sportier, not 30k sportier. :(

So i guess the REAL problem is how much mugen charges...not the existance of a limited edition si sedan. It looks great, and those wheels are incredible looking, and i'm sure that the combo of aerodynamic functional body moldings and lightweight wheels does equal a civic with better track performance...but its just to pretty to be beaten!

I do think the car is cool, but if i did have 30k, it would be for an sti or r32.

If i really wanted to go mugen, id invest in some wheels or some engine tuning components. I'd worry about uber expensive (albiet functional) body styling later.
    I agree their stuff is top drawer. I just also agree if one was going to spend $7k on an Si it could be done in a way to create a killer Si. I was looking on H & A's website at their body kits. If it were me, I'm not sure I'd even put one on. I'd go for intake, exhaust, timing etc. along with lightweight wheels/tires and suspension and see how it played. It wouldn't have the look of the Mugen or the name but I bet it would beat it on the grin meter and have money left over too.
  • iomaticiomatic Member Posts: 48
    For $7K, a CompTech Supercharger, cams, port-and-polish, header, exhaust --or Greddy Turbo, exhaust, etc.-- and suspension tire/wheel upgrades, you could create a monster that would start to destroy a lot of STIs and EVOs, for a lot less. And handle very well.

Though I'd probably just get an STI for that money.

Or vacation.
    ha ha! vacations are awesome.

this is the 30k civic i would buy:

1. completely different suspension set up, with more aggressive EVERYTHING.

2. specialy tuned engine pushing at least 220 hp like the jdm type r, or a detuned version of the k23 turbo in the rdx.(make it sh-awd to make it a rally car and its even more justified!)

3. nice, noticably bigger brakes.

4. a small lip kit, that is LIGHTER than the stock components, and lightweight wheels.
    I just took off the 'CIVIC' badge from my Si's trunk, and it looks great. Took about 20 minutes to do it completely, but totally worth it. I hate it when people call it a civic... it's an SI! :shades:
    it is an si, but that just means its a sports injected civic.

you can't tell people that you just drive a sports injected vehicle. its a sports injected civic.