Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Chevrolet Equinox Lease Questions

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
edited February 2014 in Chevrolet
Ask your Chevy Equinox lease questions here!!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• leaselookerleaselooker Member Posts: 2
    Alrighty then...I'm interested in leasing an Equinox but can't find anything on Chevy's website about leasing. Is Chevy currently offering any deals to come anywhere near what Honda is offering on the CR-V?

I can't find any GM lease deals on the web...don't they lease or are the residuals so low leasing isn't attractive?

Thanks for the reply...
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi leaselooker. General Motors is running a special lease on the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. Its lease program varies depending upon how long you lease for and how many miles per year you are allowed to drive. For now, I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 12,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. If you were to lease a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox AWD through GMAC on or before April 4th for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 6.5% and 59%, respectively. As you can see, GMAC publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. So a lease rate of 6.5% is equivalent to a money factor of around .00271.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • madmanager1madmanager1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking for MF and residuals on an 2006 Equinox LT...looking at 36 or 48 months, either 12K or 15K miles. Want to do something in April so please let me know as soon as you can. THanks.
    Greetings madmanager1. GMAC, General Motors' captive finance company, does not use money factors to calculate vehicles' lease payments. It publishes lease rates instead. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. If you were to lease a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4WD through GMAC right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 6.5% and 56%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease should be 6.5% and 49%. If you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, the 36 month residual value would be 3% higher and the 48 month residual would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • shawn11shawn11 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a truck that is getting 16mpg on average. I am upside down on the loan. I am considering an equinox lease. Is this a good idea.
  • greg_nygreg_ny Member Posts: 8
    :) Just got my few days ago from Island Chevy in Staten Island New York.
    "LS" FWD with 16" ALUMINUM wheels & head curtain side impact air bags (sandstone metallic)
    27 month lease with no money down $266 per month do to great promotions from CHEVY.
  • upndwnupndwn Member Posts: 44
    I am back in the market and would appreciate some information about the Equinox.

Does Chevy change programs monthly?
    Are there featured money factors and lease periods?
    The incentives page speaks about customer cash, which would reduce capital cost, but are there some GM products with programs that are more favorable than others?
    I would probably be looking for 30 or 36 months and 15,000 per mile. Might consider 12,000 but would need to know the over mileage penalty.

Thanks Carman and, now, Kfdx. You were both helpful with my last lease and I am happy you are still a resource.
    Hi upndwn. GMAC's lease rates and residual values usually last for two to three months, but its cash incentives often including the cash that is available on leased vehicles usually changed about every month. If you were to lease a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox AWD through GMAC through July 5th for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 6.5% and 56%, respectively. This truck's 12,000 mile per year residual value for this term would be 3% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I hope someone can help me. I am going car shopping with my Mother-in-law this afternoon and would like the monthly lease payment on the following car:

2006 Chevy Equinox LS
    MSRP: $22,385

Selling price: $19,193.20

Term: 36 or 48 months.

Thanks!!!
    I'd be happy to help you out, fish8. You certainly don't want to give your mother-in-law bad advice :surprise: ;) . According to my calculations if you were to lease a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4WD with an MSRP of $22,385 and a selling price of $19,193.20 through GMAC right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $271. The payment for an otherwise identical 48 month lease should be around $253.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    Car Man...

Based on your last response, I think my lease deal is "in-line" with what it should be...just thought I'd throw this out there for your review:

Equinox LT FWD
    Sticker: $23,114.37
    Cost Reduction: $4,014.67
    Red Cap Cost: $19,099.70

Zero down, 39 month lease at 10K miles per year
    Montly payment: $256.36 (including tax)
    Signed lease on July 4th.

I was told the rate was 7.25% (I thought this was high but I didn't run a credit check before, so I don't know what my current score is).

Thanks!
    Hi icedog97. GMAC's current base lease rate for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox is 6.5%. GMAC is very lenient in who it approves for its best interest rates, so unless your credit is in really rough shape you should be able to get this rate. Make sure to ask the dealer that you are working with about it.

In your post you mentioned this truck's sticker price and a "cost reduction". Is the "cost reduction" that you mentioned a dealer discount or is it a down payment that you are making? I ask because you need to make sure that you are getting a discount on this truck. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    Thanks for getting back to me...

We did not make a down payment, so what is listed as "cost reduction" was comming from the dealer.

I specifically asked the finance guy about the 7.25 and he responded that he can't control the number (rate) that GMAC is offering. I know that as of last year (because we took out a home equity loan), my score was around 700. There was no mention of the rate when we signed the agreement...it was only after I looked it over the next day and called the dealer, did he say the rate wat 7.25. I know, I should have asked at the time we signed...but I also should have found a sitter for my kids!!!

The other interesting factor (although I don't know how this affects the rate, if at all) was that I had a trade, which we owed nothing on, and they gave us $10K for it (check). I didn't use this as a down payment, I wanted the cash because we planned on leasing from the start.

Shouldn't having enough "cash on hand" to pay for the entire lease, at the time of the agreement, help me in the rate I qualify for?

I guess it's all moot now, right?

Thanks for your help.
    You're welcome, icedog97. The salesperson who told you that they have no control over the 7.25% rate that they quoted you was lying. GMAC's base lease rate for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox is currently only 6.50%. GMAC is pretty lenient in who it approves for leases, so your credit would have to be pretty messed up to not qualify for this rate. You were smart to have the dealer cut you a check for your trade rather than use the proceeds from it as a capitalized cost for your lease. It is in your best interest in a consumer not to make any down payment when leasing. The fact that you didn't put any money down had no impact upon your vehicle's lease rate. Either way, it's a moot point now so just enjoy your new truck :).

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • throcgrthrocgr Member Posts: 4
    My question is how did you negotiate $4,000 off? We are looking at the LS & LT and wondering how we can get the LT down to a reasonable price. The $2000 incentive offer does not apply to leases at this time.
    Thanks!
  • rftechrftech Member Posts: 1
    throcgr,
    I just got home from the dealer with my '06 2LT AWD. The MSRP was $27510. They were actually trying to get $24,500. for it when I talked about straight financing. Then through much discussion I found out that the GMAC SmartBuy has different incentives than Leasing or just buying. The total incentives to use SmartBuy were $4650! Now SmartBuy is not a very attractive program the way they intend for you to use it, but I picked up on one thing: there is no penalty for early payoff. As soon as I get the first payment of SmartBuy I'm paying it off in full from my local bank. I still have that little part of me that wonders how easy this will be to pull off, but I made it quite clear to the dealer what I intended to do and they agreed that I can do it. Also I found the places on the document that said about no penalty before I signed. I'll write back after everything clears next month.
  • throcgrthrocgr Member Posts: 4
    Thanks rftech. Unfortunately we are really not looking to purchase - really want a lease. Have now switched to looking at the Mazda Tribute as we have the employee discount but that still is not getting us very far. Really can't stand this car buying business :confuse:
  • magooleymagooley Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm new to this site and could really use some help.

I would like to lease an '07 Equinox LT with the following equipment added to the standard items: sunroof, am/fm 6 cd in-dash changer, Pioneer premium 7 speaker system, and a remote starter. When I build that car with those items added, I get a MSRP of $25,115 and an invoice price of $23,281. My question is: approximately what would my lease payments be if I put no money down and rolled the tax and other charges (not DMV, of course) in as well. I don't want any out-of-pocket expense except the first month and the DMV charges.

I was in a Chevy dealership today and they gave me a rough quote of over $400 which seems ridiculously high to me. The salesman said I could have gotten an '06 LAST month for around $275 -$300, which is about what I'd like to pay. However he says since the '07's just came out, there are no attractive lease options.

Is this true? And if so, how long is it usually before the new attractive lease options will come out? He said to try back (or he would contact me) in a month or two, but my GMAC lease is up in October. I don't know if I should extend my present lease for a month or two, or go get a Ford Escape which I should be able to get out around $300 - $330. I do like the Equinox better.

Help! :)

Magooley
    Welcome Magooley. This truck's lease payment will depend upon its selling price, how long you lease it for, and its mileage allowance. General Motors is currently providing $500 lease cash on the 2007 Chevrolet Equinox, so for the sake of calculating a lease payment on the truck you want that using this car you are able to negotiate a capitalized cost that is right at dealer invoice. I'll also assume that you want a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Equinox AWD with an MSRP of $25,115 and a capitalized cost of $23,281 through GMAC right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $402. With this lease you would have to pay your truck's first month's payment, a security deposit equivalent to your monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $25 increment, GMAC's $595 acquisition fee, and any required state taxes or fees at lease signing. As you can see, this payment isn't that great. If you are really set on getting an Equinox, perhaps you can try to extend your current lease for a couple of months and see if GM's lease program for this truck is any better then.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • quintoquinto Member Posts: 2
    Hi:

Can you please tell me what the current residual and money factor is on a 2007 Equinox LT1 AWD - also is there any lease assistance from Chevy?

Thanks Quinto
    Here's the information that you're looking for, quinto. GMAC's lease program for the Equinox varies by term and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Its current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of an '07 Chevrolet Equinox AWD with 15,000 miles per year are 6.5% and 49%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $1,400 lease cash that GM is currently providing on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • 40yearfan40yearfan Member Posts: 102
    Hi Car_man and thanks for the info. I was thinking about leasing the 2008 Equinox Sport, but with a residual of only 49% after 3 years, it would be cost prohibitive.
    2015 Buick Encore Leather Edition
    2014 Buick Enclave Premium Edition
  • gowickgowick Member Posts: 3
    Hey all....

Can you help me with lease rates and residuals, and perhaps leasing cash, on 2008 Equinox.

Looking at 36-39 months I would guess and 12,000 per year.
  • junajuna Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking to lease an '08 Equinox LS FWD with 12k miles/year for 36-39 months and zero down (except tax, title, license, 1st months pmt, etc.). What is the residual value on these, and what is the lease rate? What kind of monthly payment should I be shooting for? I want to know what a top notch deal would be on a lease for this vehicle.

I basically just want to go into the dealer and say, "If you can give me the car for $XXX per month including taxes, consider it done." And if not, I'll walk out the door. I just need to figure out how much $XXX should be.

BTW, I can get a family discount b/c someone in my immediate family worked for GM for 30+ years. Plus, I have a GM Card with a flyer stating that I can get $3000 earnings top-off (I have $2800 earnings) off select vehicles (Equinox is on the list) in January. How can I figure out what the best monthly payment is based on all of this?
    Hi juna. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease rate of a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox 2WD with 12,000 miles per year are 6.1% and 49%, respectively. The lease rate for an otherwise identical 39 month lease would be the same, but the residual value would drop by 1%. If you provide me with the MSRP and selling price of the exact Equinox that you are interested in, or at least the MSRP and dealer invoice price, I would be happy to calculate its approximate monthly payment for you.

Car_man
    Host
  • junajuna Member Posts: 15
    I just built one on the Chevy web site for $23,750 MSRP. If I went with AWD, I get a $25,375 MSRP. Can you price both of these out for me please? Is there an easy way to do it factoring all the above discounts ($3000 off with GM Card, GM family member discount)?

I understand one can get a vehicle for quite a bit under invoice if one knows what to say and knows the right numbers. I just want to be as informed a consumer as possible rather than waste our money needlessly.

Thanks for your help, car man. I really appreciate it.
    Hi juna. I don't have any way to find out exactly what the GM Family selling price would be for the trucks that you mentioned, but you should be able to by visiting gmfamilyfirst.com . It would be easier for me to estimate these trucks' lease payments if I knew exactly what their selling prices are. For now I will assume that you are being given a $1,500 discount on the 2WD and $1,600 discount on the AWD. Let's crunch some numbers and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox LS FWD that has an MSRP of $23,750 and a selling price of $19,250 (MSRP - $1,500 discount - $3,000 GM CARD points) through GMAC right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $290. The payment for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 Equinox LS AWD that has an MSRP of $25,375 and a selling price of would be around $317.

I can give you an even more accurate estimate of these trucks' lease payments if you let me know that their actual selling prices are.

Car_man
    Host
  • phil56phil56 Member Posts: 6
    How about a 36 month - 12,000 mile/year lease for a 2008 Chevy Equinox LTZ AWD in Chicago, IL? Also, what's the difference in per month lease cost for the above-mentioned scenario when you put $0 compared to $2500. Thanks, Car man.
  • gc1615gc1615 Member Posts: 3
    I am entering the final year of a 4 yr smartbuy on an 05 Equinox LT(it helped me when I needed it) and was wondering what experiences people have had to get out of it? Any experiences on how "picky" dealers are normally on the interior when you give it back - as far as penalties? Mileage is going to be about 9k-10k per year so that shouldn't be a factor.

Thanks~!!
  • sarasmilessarasmiles Member Posts: 3
    I am wondering if someone can provide some insight to help me better understand the rational of the Smart Lease:

Background
    My lease ends in March 2008 on my 2005 Chevy Equinox. Mileage allowance for the lease term is 36K and currently there are 34K. The agreed upon value of the vehicle was $24,169.50 and I put $3K down. The residual value is $15217.90 and in March I will have paid a total of $11,192.90 to drive the vehicle the last 3 years.

Currently
    I am looking at either financing or leasing a new 2008 Equinox LTZ. My father (co-lessee) on my 2005 Equinox is very interested in purchasing it at the end of my lease to drive back and forth to work as he drives 82 miles round trip a day and lives in the mountains west of Denver and let's just say the AWD Equinox rocks in the snow!

Confusion
    GMAC is saying that in March we can purchase the vehicle for $17,130.32. How is this possible? The blue book value of the car in excellent condition is $14,500 and if you look in the paper there are a number of 2005 Equinox's for sale with less miles than mine and they are priced anywhere between $13,500 - $14500,

Question
    How is it that if I purchase it at the end of the lease it will cost $17,130? They won't sell it as a used car for that much. So what drop it off at a dealership and return it and then what turn around and tell the dealership that I want to buy it back, it seems to me that way would be cheaper than purchasing it at the price stated on my lease agreement.

Is the purchase price at the time of the lease negotiable?

Sorry if this is confusing my hopes are that the more information I provide the better someone will be able to help me understand what my options are at the end of my lease next month.

Thanks in advance-
    Hey phil56. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox AWD with 12,000 miles per year are 6.1% and 52%, respectively. If you haven't leased your Equinox yet, you're in luck. General Motors just introduced a $1,000 President's Day bonus cash incentive on it that's good through the end of the month. You can use this cash to reduce the capitalized cost of your lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi sarasmiles. Vehicles' lease payments are made up of two main parts, the interest portion and the depreciation portion. When you signed the lease on your Equinox, GMAC used an estimate called a residual value to calculate how much depreciation you would have to pay for over the lift of your lease. The remainder of your vehicle's value that is not added to the depreciation portion of your lease payment is its end of term purchase option price. As you have seen, vehicles' lease-end purchase option prices are often higher than what vehicles are worth in the real world. This is actually a good think because it means that you paid for less depreciation over the life of your lease than your vehicle actually experienced, saving you money. The problem is, unless GMAC is willing to lower your vehicle's end-of-term purchase option price, it doesn't make sense to buy your truck. Place a call directly to GMAC a month or two prior to the scheduled end of your lease and see if they will be willing to negotiate your Equinox's purchase price. If you don't have any luck with your initial contact, try working your way up the ladder to a manager. If GMAC is willing to lower your truck's price to around what it is worth in the real world right now, you may want to consider buying it. If not, just walk away.

Car_man
    Host
  • soccer14soccer14 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Syracuse, NY. My lease is up in September. I just got a call for early release out of my lease. I have a 2006 Equinox LS 12,300 miles AWD. The purchase price to buy this case is 16624.69 (according the GMAC) - the dealership is telling me they will sell it to me for 14980.00 and my payments would be 259 a month. I'm not sure I understand all this. Is this a good deal for me??
  • claufenbclaufenb Member Posts: 1
    My lease comes up in March 2009. I was wondering if there will be an early out offered to me? I have leased the last 3 of my vehicles and have always been offered an early release on my contract. Will GMAC still be offering this?
    Hi claufenb. General Motors usually offers some sort of early lease termination program, but it rarely lets lessees out of their vehicles more than three months prior to their scheduled end dates. You're still nine months out, so I have a feeling that you are going to have to wait until you are closer to your scheduled end date to get something new.

Car_man
    Host
  • leesah71leesah71 Member Posts: 1
    You can take over my existing lease. I love the car but with our move to Hawaii cannot afford the payments any longer. Lease is with GMAC and terms are $450.90 per month and expires 12/2009. I used to drive a lot for the company I used to work for so I purchased extra miles. It allows 18,000 miles per year but since moving to Hawaii a year ago, only have 33,000 miles on it now. It's been an awesome car and I love it and hate to have to give it up. If interest, let me know. We can arrange shipping.
  • soccer14soccer14 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Syracuse, NY. My lease is up in September. I just got a call for early release out of my lease. I have a 2006 Equinox LS 12,300 miles AWD. The purchase price to buy this case is 16624.69 (according the GMAC) - the dealership is telling me they will sell it to me for 14980.00 and my payments would be 259 a month. I'm not sure I understand all this. Is this a good deal for me??
    Hi soccer14. In order to determine whether it would be a good idea to purchase your leased Equinox, you need to compare the price that you were quoted for it to what it is currently worth on the open market. There's no reason to pay more for your truck than someone off the street would have to pay for a similar one. You should be able to get an idea of how much this truck is worth right now by visiting the Edmunds.com Used Car Appraiser.

If you determine that this is an attractive selling price, then turn your attention to how you will pay for it. If you want to finance, pay attention to the interest rate that you are being charged, not the monthly payment. The lower the interest rate is, the lower your payment will be. It's usually a good idea to get pre-approved to finance any vehicle that you want to purchase prior to discussing financing with dealers. Doing so serves two purposes. It gives you an idea of what sort of interest rate you qualify for and it often motivates dealers to try to beat the rate that you are pre-approved at.

Car_man
    Host
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    anyone out there lease a new equinox yet? wondering about buying versus leasing one since it is the new model.
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    I'm interested in leasing too, but I've not seen much talk about it. CarMan or Kyfdx, is GMAC still offering any lease incentives, especially for the Equinox?
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    If there are are special lease rates (an "incentive" rate) it will be listed on Edmunds. I just bought a new 2010, and as of the July incentives there were no special lease rates. There was just the Conquest Cash, military cash, and GMAC financing (a horrible 6.9%, but it is a new model - I got 5% locally). The August incentives will be out soon, but I doubt there will be anything for special lease offers.
    Hi timmboj. General Motors' financial problems forced it to pull the plug on leasing for a while, but it has finally reintroduced it on select models...including the 2010 Equinox. Its lease program on this truck varies by region. In a few states it is promoting a special lease through US Bank with a special rate of 4.56% for 36 to 39 months. In most states it is running a special lease through GMAC featuring a lease rate of 3.0% again for 36 to 39 months.

The US Bank program has $280 lease cash available through it, but there is no lease cash available on GMAC leases.

Car_man
    Host
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    Cool. Thanks Car_Man.

What is "Lease Cash"? And do you happen to know if the governments tax credit on new cars purchased in 2009 applies to leased vehicles?
    Hi timmboj. Lease cash is essentially like consumer cash that is available on leases. You should take it into account when negotiating the selling price of the truck that you want to lease.

That's a good question about the tax credit. It might apply to leased vehicles, but they technically are in the bank's name not yours. Hmmmm, I think that an accountant would be more qualified than myself to answer that one. The FAQ section for this program (link) on the IRS site doesn't even address this issue.

Car_man
    Host
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    Tax credits do not apply to leased vehicles.
  • rienthusiastrienthusiast Member Posts: 13
    Without the residual values for the car it is impossible to calculate the monthly lease payment. Do you have the residual values for the 2010 Equinox for both 12,000 and 15,000 mile leases with a 3 year term? Thanks.
  • ellery8ellery8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

There is an article on GM getting back into leasing dated Aug 10th or 11th byTim Higins of the Detroit Free Press. The 2010 Equinox was listed amoung the models.

I test drove a 2010 4cyl AWD LT1 and think they have a real winner if it holds up in reliability and quality. I have GM Card money that I would like to apply to an Equinox lease if it is attractive. The 2010 Equinox competes against the Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav-4 which have attractive leases recently. If GM puts out an attractiive lease I think they can convert the Honda and Toyota customers if the Equinox is as good as it appears.

Don Mc
    You are correct, rienthusiast. It wasn't easy to find, but I was able to get a hold of GMAC's residual values for this vehicle. Its current 36 month, 15,000 mile per year resid for the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox varies from 40% to 44%, depending upon what trim level you get. If you describe the exact Equinox that you're interested in, I will gladly tell you what the exact resid is for that trim level.

The last time that I checked, GMAC added 3% to its 15,000 mile per year residual values for leases with only 12,000 miles per year.

Car_man
    Host
  • wannywanny Member Posts: 1
    Car man,

Can you please give me the lease pricing on a 2010 equinox LT1 with AWD msrp $26500, gms pricing of $24500 with 0 down, 39m at 12k miles please? Thank you so much!
    Hi wanny. Let's work up a lease payment on this truck and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 AWD that has an MSRP of $26,500 and a selling price of $24,500 through GMAC this month for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $391.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.