Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• jakegeraniumjakegeranium Member Posts: 1
    I certainly appreciate this message board. My son suggested a Honda Fit to replace my 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara. In Tulsa, OK I could only find one used one and one new one to drive. Now negotiating comes into the deal. I am bad at it and am finding through these postings that $16,174 which includes tax, title, license is not really a bad deal. It was suggested that the negotiating could include free installations of add-ons, free oil changes, tire rotations, etc. that the dealership has some leeway in providing. Am I thinking right about this???
  • single_digitsingle_digit Member Posts: 4
    I am in Louisvile KY and looking at the base model with MT and have a couple of questions... I guess I'm looking at around $15,000 to $15,500 but I'm hoping to get feedback from anybody in the same general area on what the OtDP is.
    Are the color and transmission type the only options available on Fits. The salesperson at the dealership I testdrove at said they have only the package deal, no user configurable cars. I would like to get a basic Fit (manual Trans), but am interested in the MP3 cd system that comes with the Sport. The rep said that isn't possible.I might also be interested in the alloy wheels, but the Honda website configurator (which seems to fly in the face of what the rep said) shows they are around $1000 (if I'm gonna do that I might as well get the sport).
    Also, does anybody know if there will be any incentives on the '08s when the '09s roll in? My feeling is no since there is so much demand for Fits right now.The rep said that the 09s should only be a few hundred more than the '08s, but I never like to buy a new model/body style (and their glitches).
    I would really like to buy a used one and knock a bit off the price, but I am seeing the used ones selling for more than new ones. How is this possible (especially with no dealer incentives on Fits)?!? Not many are turning around and selling a Fit with 20k miles on, but still...
    Lastly, what's up with the inconsistent mileage I've read about? I read a couple of earlier posts in this thread about how some people are only getting mid 20s on MPG? We have a diesel Beetle that gets 45 MPG and we'd keep it, but the stroller and carseat for our newborn seem to say otherwise. If this car won't get mid 30s I'm not interested. Are these screwy low MPG Fits the exception or are they common?
  • watsacwatsac Member Posts: 49
    Hey SD - so many questions...so little time :)

Q. How do you know a sales rep is lying?
    A. Their lips are moving.

Based on what I've learned, it is better to buy a Fit (base or Sport) and then self-install the accessories you want. This is because of the hype (real or imagined) surrounding high(er) MPG vehicles like the Fit, Civic, Corolla, etc. I recently called 5 dealers in the Baltimore area but only 1 had the vehicle in stock so I drove out and bought it for about $400 below MSRP (a base with AT). The other 4 dealers (who did not have the car) quoted me anywhere from MSRP to MSRP+$1000. Check out this link to a story in the Detroit News which talks about that. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080611/AUTO01/806110389/1148- . The same hype goes for high MPG used cars in the same price range. Try to find a 3 to 5 year old Civic or Corolla - you can't! I would also stay away from the 09s because of the first year thing not to mention they will be more expensive. And the MPG thing will settle itself down after a few tanks and you get adjusted to using the new car for your typical everyday driving. You know it's gonna be good with a 1.5L 4 cylinder engine - how can it not be? Which probably helps explain why there are no used ones out there!
    Regarding used high MPG cars... I'm seeing '07 Fits with 20k+ miles listing for more than new '08 Fits. What gives? Is this purely to haggle down to the "real" price?
    Case in point:
    http://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-83848275/2007/honda/fit/mckees-rocks/- pa
    or...
    http://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-86976924/2007/honda/fit/cincinnati/oh-
    I'm thinking it is simple economics...low supply + high demand = high price.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    My local dealer whom I have already bought a car from is charging full MSRP on a Fit Sport Automatic (for the wife) $16,700 and then a $400 dealer fee! I told them not a chance I just won't buy a car with no discounts and high dealer fees. The new Fit will be out soon enough, maybe then the insanity of $4 a gallon gas will make people in less of a panic. Until teh car is at invoice price I won't buy it and teh new one looks a lot better. Over $17K OTD for a Fit, that's just nuts!
  • wgewge Member Posts: 16
    You may have to wait quite awhile. I think there are many other folks ready to buy a Fit at MSRP and with high dealer fees. As was said two posts ago, it is supply and demand that drives the price.
    Not trying to be this up, but there's a good intro on wikipedia (link title) as to the fundamentals of what happens to the price (P) of a product as the demand (D) increases and the supply (S) remains fixed. If nothing else, look at the graph on the top right and you can see how all of this drives the price up (P1 to P2). Honda could help the situation by increasing production (i.e., Supply) but it is my understanding they will not be doing that.
    The thing that blows me away is what's going on with diesel cars. We have a TDI (diesel) New Beetle that is not practical for us and our new infant so we are ideally looking to shift to a TDI Golf 4 door. VW discontinued all diesels except Jettas (and then they went completely upscale) and said there was no demand when I called (as did Honda when I called about importing diesel civics from Europe). Yet all of the diesels (which get 40-45MPG!) are selling well above blue book (3-4 thousand in many cases). If there's no demand what's going on? :mad: Car companies are so out of touch.
    If anyone knows of a good deal on a TDI Golf in good shape, let me know! I would prefer to go that route and convert it to run on veggie oil than buy a Fit if at all possible.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    You're lucky that your dealer only marks up $400. I just came back from a test drive of a Fit Sport Auto with my 19 yr. old son who is going to be buying his first new car. Hagerstown Honda in Hagerstown, MD is the closest Honda dealer and the Fit is on his list of cars. I was appalled to see that Hagerstown Honda has added $1799 "Appearance Packages" to all Fit and Civics. The sales person tried to extol the virtues of the teflon sealant and the scotch guarding. I balked at the add-on and then the salesperson stated that the dealership has added the markup to help offset the "delivery fee" and the depreciation of the gas guzzlers that they have taken in on trade. So a buyer already pays $650 bucks delivery and now Hagerstown Honda is trying to get another $1799 extra as well make a cunsumer pay for their business losses. What they're really doing is bilking the customer that wants to downsize to a smaller, efficient car.

I was offered a "special deal of $500 off the price if I buy today. I stated that I will pay MSRP but not any of the $1799 bilking. The cars were still in their shipping wrappers with plastic on the seats, so it's not like I was trying to get something for nothing. They wanted to do the 3 hour negotiation tap dance, so I walked out and began the search for another dealer and a different car. My experience with Hagerstown Honda has proved to be very poor and am appalled that Honda Corporate tolerates this price gouging from its dealers.
    crazedcommuter - I know it's a bit of a drive but you might do better if you try out some of the Honda dealerships that are closer to Baltimore. I closed a great deal last weekend on a base Fit for about $400 below MSRP at Northwest Honda in Owings Mills, MD. We're not supposed to post salesman names or contact info on this forum but if you post your email address, I will reply directly with his name and contact info. He was very professional and because we did all the price work by email up front, it was just a matter of showing up and taking delivery. In other words, NO 3 hour negotiation tap dance!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " Until teh car is at invoice price I won't buy it"

You will probably be waiting a LONG time.

We wold gladly pay any dealer more than that for any they would sell us.

Not every car has to be given away in order to sell.
    Here's another story hyping the move to small cars and driving up the prices

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/flowchart/2008/5/16/why-small-cars-are-a-smart-buy.h- tml
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The article isn't what's driving up prices of small cars like the Fit. It's all the people suddenly realizing that small is good and buying them that has caused the prices to jump. A simple case of supply and demand. Those of us who were driving and buying cars in the '70s have seen this before--additional dealer markups and all. Same old, same old. Fortunately, now there's more of a selection of good small cars to choose from than in the '70s.
    I agree...I also lived thru the '70s; this gas thing is like back to the future for me. Problem today is most people have no mind of their own and they rely on empty magazine articles like the one above to teach them 'common sense'. And then, like a bunch of lemmings, they all go out and do what the article tells them to do. Ironically, the '70s were better from the perspective that we had no method such as the internet to broadcast information to the masses. Which meant you had to learn the facts and think for yourself. Then you ran out and bought a Toyota Corona only to have your neighbor call you a communist for not buying American. ;)
    Not trying to be this up, but there's a good intro on wikipedia (link title) as to the fundamentals of what happens to the price (P) of a product as the demand (D) increases and the supply (S) remains fixed. If nothing else,

Oh I understand supply economics well enough. But this is brought on by panic due to high fuel costs. The end of the matter is that my wife isn't going to get a 2008 Fit.
    Also I'd like to point out that if you do this in a time of emergency it's called profiteering and is a criminal act. Try charging a lot more for food during a food shortage and see what happens.
    Car dealers make an enormous profit in many ways. They don't have simple math for how they make a profit. I'm just going to drive my wife back and forth to work and save more money.
    People have long memories when it comes to car dealers ripping them off and taking advantage of a situation.
    I might buy a Prius instead of a Fit at least I can recoup most of the money in the Prius and the Fit does not get as good a fuel economy as the Civic LX/EX. Honda will make more cars but they are afraid gas will come down and they won't be able to give the cars away. Kind of like Trucks an SUV's right now.
    " Until the car is at invoice price I won't buy it"

You will probably be waiting a LONG time.

We wold gladly pay any dealer more than that for any they would sell us.

Not every car has to be given away in order to sell.

You are a car dealer, obviously you will take that attitude.
    Just remember we do remember who treats us well and who doesn't. Times will change and even if economy cars are here to stay the way we are treated now and the deals we do or don't get could cause us to switch brands. You are a car dealer might nor care but believe me the manufacturers do care. Oh not 1 or 2 sales but losing customers is usually a matter of attitude and perception. Honda has been good to me but I owe Honda nothing. It won't be long before there are a lot of good economy car choices.
    Then you will be glutted again and having to sell below MSRP.
    Personally I hope all the trucks and SUV's on dealers lots regardless of brand, rust away for years with no sales. I remember when Honda was gouging on CRV's, S2000's and same with Mitsubishi and Toyota on certain models.
    Car dealers and sales people get no sympathy from me nor do they ever give any.
    I don't think anyone wants your sympathy.

I responded to a poster that said he/she wouldn't buy a Fit unless they could buy one for a dealer's invoice.

That is highly unlikely to happen in this current market. that was my point.

It's not the dealers (or the customers) that determine the market. It's the market itself. So, you will be happy to see the big trucks sit and rust away but you consider it "gouging" when a dealer can make a decent profit on a small car that does sell well?

I remember when people were paying 5000.00 over MSRP for PT Cruisers!

Were they being cheated? Of course not! That was the market on them at that time. They were happy to pay the price to get the car they wanted.

Now, they can't give those things away. The market turned quickly as the novality of these repackaged Neons wore off! Funny how that works!
    tiff c - Buy it / Don't buy it - it's always a choice and it's YOUR choice; nobody is making you buy the car. But remember that your decision (to buy or not buy) along with the decisions of millions of other Americans will shape the 'demand' side of the market. If everyone could just take a deep breath and resist the urge to get all caught up in this hype, I predict that the panic will subside in a few months (after the lemmings have made their purchases) and prices for small, high MPG cars (like the Honda Fit) will return to what is "normal" for a low margin vehicle.

Now having said all of that, it still pisses me off when I hear that a dealer wants to bend someone over as a knee jerk reaction to make an extra buck during tough times. Just walk away from that dealer and tell your neighbors to do the same.
  • theconsultant9theconsultant9 Member Posts: 2
    In regards to a deposit on a Fit If you have a refundable deposit on an incoming Honda that is in high demand I will promptly refund your deposit once I have a commited buyer that will agree to a higher price or will put a non-refundable deposit. The car has a $300 markup stop worrying about the price because there is no flexibility on the car and get the color you want youll be seeing it in your driveway for a few years.
    Now having said all of that, it still pisses me off when I hear that a dealer wants to bend someone over as a knee jerk reaction to make an extra buck during tough times. Just walk away from that dealer and tell your neighbors to do the same.

Rest assured I have told quite a few people about what the dealership is doing, sadly when you need a car and it's that time to buy one and the dealer is acting the way they do during a feeding frenzy, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth for next time. Also the $400 dealer processing fee is way too much. This place could have had my business for years to come, but instead they chose the short term option.
    I might buy the new Fit when it comes out but due to the poor and money gouging attitude of the dealer, I will cross shop and possibly buy a different brand than Honda.
    Does anyone care? Probably not but still it's not just one sale this dealership loses but all further sales from me as well as all other brands in their group.
    I might buy from another Honda dealer and have it serviced there but just like they can charge what they want. I can decide to buy what and when I want. I've bought about 28 new cars in my lifetime. A few dealerships will never see a another penny from me, ever.
    Lasting impressions....
    Most car dealers are in the game for today and on rare occasions tomorrow. Most don't care about down the road long term buyers any more.
    Honda has easily the most arrogant people in the car industry as is evidenced by talking to any Honda sales people or sales managers.
    "Any Honda saleserson"

I guess you must be including me in that broad statement?

After 13 years here, I still have the same owner, GM, GSM and UCM that were here when I started in addition to several salespeople.

Probably a third of my sales are from repeat and referrals.

So, I guess at least some of us think long term and try to do our best for our customers.
    Did I misunderstand your post?

If you and a customer agree on a price and terms on an incoming Fit, are you really saying you would sell it out from under them if another person comes along and offers more money?

I hope I read this wrong. I can't believe a store would do such a thing to anyone!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to talk to consumers who are in the market for a compact, subcompact or hybrid vehicle but have had trouble finding one. Please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information along with the vehicle you are shopping for no later than Thursday, June 19th.
    So, I guess at least some of us think long term and try to do our best for our customers.

Considering all you have written in the past I would sooner walk than buy a Honda from you. You might have the same people at the dealership but if i actually knew what dealership you worked at I'd avoid it like the plague.
    My wife and i are seriously considering buying a Prius. Then we won't have to deal with the arrogant Honda people.
    Toyota calls us back and is really working on customer service even tho the Prius is hot right now. I should write a letter to Honda but it's easier to vote with my wallet.
  • wgewge Member Posts: 16
    Everyone's experiences are different. Prior to buying a Fit four months ago, I was very interested in a Prius. I found the Toyota people at a major local Toyota dealership misrepresented taxes and other costs when it came time to consider sales price. They also underestimated to a very significant degree my trade-in value. I was offended by their arrogance, and walked away from the deal directly to the Honda dealership. I personally had a very positive experience there with a sales price on a Fit significantly below MSRP and with a very reasonable trade-in offer. Regarding "insane" prices, for the amount you spend on your Prius, you can buy 1 and 2/3 Fits, or buy one Fit and pocket close to $10K. With the annual mileage we drive and even assuming $5 gas, the breakeven point for us on the Prius would have been beyond 22 years of ownership. I hope you enjoy your Prius.
    That's OK, I wouldn't want you as a customer anyway. I like happy customers and I don't think I could win you over.

Finding a Prius may be a real challenge for you from what I'm hearing.

As far as arrogant attitudes, they are often brought on by the customers we have to deal with.
  • taximom5taximom5 Member Posts: 43
    Um, I think both of you (tiff and isellhondas) have made valid points.

However, I must take issue with isellhondas' statement ("As far as arrogant attitudes, they are often brought on by the customers we have to deal with").

There is NEVER an excuse for arrogance. Period. Blaming someone else for such behavior only makes it worse--and supports tiff's position.
    I agree with you.

Sometimes I really have to work hard to disarm people. They have to feel comfortable dealing with me.

Probably as a result of a previous bad experience somewhere else.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Switching to one Nameplates 1500 or so dealerships to another Nameplates 1400 or so dealerships based on an experience at one of them is simply foolish. "I'm going to Toyota because Honda's dealers are arrogant?" (Hint: go read thru the Toyota, Ford and other forums)

Really, if one Honda store is having a great month and doesn't need to make a sale and is up to its armpits in trade-in's, you can't really blame them if they are unenthusiastic. A Honda store 40 miles north may roll the red carpet out for you last few days of the month if they are behind, and make you a great deal. And yes they trades are lowballed sometimes like most dealers.

I've read peoples accounts of their excellent buying experience, noting how it only took a half hour to buy and sign and staff's excellent conduct. (they got screwed to the tune of 4000 or more on the price and trade in). I've read of (and witnessed)other's accounts of walking on a killer $40000 deal (great trade in, great price-- this dealer obviously needed the sale) after 3 hours over some floor mats.

Go figure
    --jjf

I agree with you.

Sometimes I really have to work hard to disarm people. They have to feel comfortable dealing with me.

Probably as a result of a previous bad experience somewhere else.
  • klisselklissel Member Posts: 10
    I did a lot of research on the Internet and test drives. I looked at the prius, nissan versa, toyota yaris, toyota matrix / pontiac vibe, Scion XD, honda civic, and VW Rabbit.

With the hybrids it would take 18 years to pay off the $8,000 price difference using the gas money saved if I do 12,000 miles a year and gas is $4.00. I looked at Price, gas mileage, safety, reliability, performance, and what all is included with the car (alloy wheels, power package, ipod hookup, sun roof, etc.) The best bang for the buck came down to the Honda fit and it drove quite well, so I bought it.

Just to let you know, not all prices are over MSRP. I went with this one because it was the best price. I did all negotiations on the internet and phone, then went to pick up the car. It took just over an hour to fill out all the paperwork and drive off the lot. The honda dealership that I worked with treated me with respect and had everything ready for me including the newly washed and detailed car. It was my first honda purchase (besides my 1985 honda spree 50cc scooter), and they did not put me in the torture chamber to add on an extended warranty (which I declined).

2008 New Automatic Honda Fit Sport

Sales Price - $15,709

Tax (6% - PA) and tags and all fees $1,115

No Trade in - N/A

Out the door 16,824

Car drives nice, I like the cruise control.

Complaints so far- (just bought on 6-17-08)

Not much room for your left foot.

I removed the back seat headrests, so I can see out the back window, and the back seats will fold down now with out hitting the front seats. How will this affect safety for my passengers?

My portable GPS is far away from me because of the windshield angle, and the suction cup on the stand does not stick to the flat part of the dashboard any suggestions? I am thinking about putting a piece of plexiglass on the dashboard above the A/C vent. But I don't want to tape the plexiglass to the dashboard.
  • absconfusedabsconfused Member Posts: 73
    I agree with you about it being nuts to switch nameplates. Just like others said you have to hit the right dealership. And like others said I handled my deal with the internet dept. I put out a mass email that I was going to buy the car that day (which was true) and to please contact me if they wanted to sell one that day and I asked if there was anything that could be done for me in the way of a small discount. I was nice about it recognizing that everyone needs to make a living but still I let them know I would appreciate a small savings. One dealer called and offered me 400 dollars off and so I got all the numbers including the final numbers, I told them how I planned on paying to be sure there was no problem with personal check and credit card combo and got thru the transaction with the no nonsense business office in ten minutes. This happened because we each had mutual respect for each other. I let them know that I was a ready buyer if they needed a quick sale and they showed their appreciation by calling me in. It was a win-win. They were my only call though and this definitely beat driving around b.c. in this method I was able to learn that there was an enthusiastic dealer for whatever reason and you only need one enthusiastic dealer and you need to be patient and try again if it fails the first time b/c each month is different, although this was my first time. :)

And the most important message is Toyota has lied to me, misled me, trapped me in their dealerships and tried switch and baits..In Atlanta, this is the most disreputable nameplate I could find!!! If anyone wants to know specifics you can eamil me but I will tell you this, if you want a Toyota or think you want a Toyota be sure you know every spec you want like ABS, alloy wheels etc and then go try and find a car with those features!!! Stay focused on what it is you want and do not fall for them trying to sell you something else b/c it would be cheaper....They are a complete nightmare....Believe me most Honda dealers would never think of acting the way the Toyota people act and they do not have to b/c they properly equip their cars so they do not have to pretend that they are out of something or spend hours searching for something that they know they do not have just to wear you down or dump you on the next level person of their scam.

And, BTW a car I test drove fit like a glove but the way they act and their missing features in Atlanta, NO WAY. I will never step foot into another Toyota dealer. You might not notice this about Toyota if you are not looking for something specific like if you do not care about ABS breaks (they lied and told me they were on the car, even though not listed on the sticker!!!!)
  • bam8bam8 Member Posts: 7
    Both my partner and I drive cars past 200,000 miles and have never bought new until recently. Used prices are outrageous. We have been researching and narrowed it down between a fit and yaris..the fit obviously having more safty and features and yaris more consistantly high mpg. We both need cars so the first purchase has been a yaris. I drove the fit and loved it but the low profile concerns me and the seats were not all that comfortable. I'm waiting for the 2009.

We have dealt with both toyota and honda dealers in our search and have found good and not good folks in both camps. I have picked out my honda dealer to work with when its time :). We had a great experience with the toyota dealer (got there via the internet dealing). What I have said to both is "what goes around comes around" I'm not tough to deal with but I don't deal with super pushy, deliberatly inaccurate information or disrespect. The toyota dealer who did right by us has already had two serious buyers contact them per our recommendation.
    So far I guess people can't see what the problem is. Mine is that I don't like being ripped off by the Honda dealer. If it was the Toyota dealer I wouldn't like it any better. The local Honda dealer 5 months ago was begging for customers. Well now that I want to buy another they have decided to stick it to me with their prices. In the end a car sold even at MSRP is going to lose money when the prices all come down, which they will. The more fuel efficient cars that are out there the more competition. Then back to decent prices again. I don't care how great the new showroom is, I don't work there. I don't care how many trucks the dealer took in trade or didn't sell and wants to recoup the loss by overcharging me.
    I care about how good a deal I am getting on the car I want to buy.
    I also don't want to get my post removed as happens so often when you debate with certain car salespeople.
    I will wait for the new Fit and see what else becomes available as well.
    No loyalty rewards for Honda so I might as well shop around.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    There is no such thing as overcharging, unless an agreed on price isn't replicated on the sales order, or the usual "doc" fee (usually a to take advantage of walk ins) is sprung. I'm all for getting 10 or 20 bids via email last week of the month from dealers around you, and working with the 2 or 3 who need to make a sale for the month. If you buy something on ebay and sort 10 dealers by price and buy for 10.00 instead of finding the one for 5.75 with another sort or search you didn't get overcharged, you just didn't find the lowest bidder.

On this particular car though the sales prices are usually for above msrp to about 600 off. (selling for the arbitrary number called "invoice"). A perusal of the prices paid for the last 18 months or so will show the market is pretty tight for it. A used 07 fit has a trade in value (kbb.com)of almost 13000 for a 16700 msrp car, so the printed prices on the sticker aren't too far off from what the market is for it.

If you want the only canary yellow fit within 300 miles and the dealer is flush for the month you may have to pay over msrp. In a world where people are $12000 underwater and refinancing a loan from an suv for a 30 mpg car getting upset over $400 when the car sells within about a 700 range anyway is silly.

Many were getting the 08 Nissan Versa SL MSRP 16700 for about 14000, the S for 12500, and the Pontiac Vibe (19500) and Matrix with auto pwr and alloys for about 15k and change. You may be able to do in the low 17s on an 09 vibe or matrix now or soon. Perhaps not, things are a lot different from 5 months ago. The $4.00 price point on gas made many go batty (like many research firms predicted) and sales for 30mpg vehicles shot up.

There are lotsa different cars. No forcing to buy a Fit.

Good luck
    --jjf

So far I guess people can't see what the problem is. Mine is that I don't like being ripped off by the Honda dealer. If it was the Toyota dealer I wouldn't like it any better. The local Honda dealer 5 months ago was begging for customers. Well now that I want to buy another they have decided to stick it to me with their prices. In the end a car sold even at MSRP is going to lose money when the prices all come down, which they will. The more fuel efficient cars that are out there the more competition. Then back to decent prices again. I don't care how great the new showroom is, I don't work there. I don't care how many trucks the dealer took in trade or didn't sell and wants to recoup the loss by overcharging me.
    I care about how good a deal I am getting on the car I want to buy.
    I also don't want to get my post removed as happens so often when you debate with certain car salespeople.
    I will wait for the new Fit and see what else becomes available as well.
    No loyalty rewards for Honda so I might as well shop around.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Thanks Watsac. My son is still in the decision stage. He just sold his 95 Nissan 240 sx and I think he misses the power of that engine. We were both impressed with the features, ride and handling of the Fit Sport auto. He wants to drive the Sentra SER before making a decision.
    We test drove the VW Rabbit and the Toyota Yaris hatch today. He really liked the Rabbit as did I. It had plenty of power and felt solid. The Yaris felt underpowered with the three of us inside and the a/c on high.

It's funny, Hagerstown Honda called and asked when we'd be coming back to buy the Fit. I laughed and stated that a starting point for our return would be for them to drop that $1700 add-on "appearance package" charge and sell us the Fit for $400 under the sticker price. I repeated the fact that I can buy teflon wax and scotch guard from WalMart and apply myself for $50. The sales person stated again that the markup was dealer mandated, but that the Hagerstown Honda would give me a "special reduction" off the markup price. I do not recommend that anyone buy a new 4 cyl Fit or Civic from Hagerstown Honda as they are adding on an extra $1700 over the sticker. In my opinion they are price gougers.
  • ardentaznardentazn Member Posts: 14
    Hey all,
    I am kinda new to this. Wife wants a Honda Fit Sport Auto. So, I researched online and got quotes. Best price I got was $17K OTD. However, when I went down to the dealer, they refused it. Even the LARGEST HONDA DEALER in the world refuse to price match as they claim. I understand that the Fit is hot now. Anyone has any luck with So Ca dealers? Anything close to invoice? Thanks! Also, when are the 09s coming out???
    If you want the only canary yellow fit within 300 miles and the dealer is flush for the month you may have to pay over msrp. In a world where people are $12000 underwater and refinancing a loan from an suv for a 30 mpg car getting upset over $400 when the car sells within about a 700 range anyway is silly.

Your points aren't valid in my situation but I suppose they work in general. I specified I didn't want black. That was it so that leaves a lot of cars since black is a rare color for them anyway.
    Also I don't care how much someone else owes. It's not my problem. If $400 is no big deal then feel free to give it to me. It certainly is a big deal for the dealer. if it wasn't why not just give me that off and why the $400 doc fee?
    Dealers overcharge, no matter how you spin it people that have bought cars know what dealers do. Also I was dealing with the Internet manager at the largest dealer in the State.
    I'll hold off and buy something else. I like Honda but won't buy at MSRP or above no matter how the situation is spun.
    I never pay retail, so I'm not about to start now. This car was for my wife, I am happy with my Civic Si. She really needs a car but it's not going to happen. The economy is in it's current mess because people had the attitude that it's not a big deal to overpay. We are all paying the price for that lax attitude now.
    The Fit isn't that great in economy as it is. It is more practical.
  • micky107micky107 Member Posts: 1
    I live in So. Cal. and did all and more that you are doing now, but I did it last year for the 2007 Fit. I ended up finally just accepting that I couldn't get any of the dealers down and couldn't match any of the "OTD" prices that were bragged about on this site. I had a HORRIBLE experience. When I finally decided to cave in and buy, I wanted the silver Fit and the dealers closest to me did not have the silver in stock. All claimed that the Fit was moving quickly. So, I ended up talking to a dealer at the Fuller Honder in Chula Vista. The dealer promised me he had the silver Fit in stock and to come on down and he would have it ready for me. I explained to him that I would have to travel near two hours to get to him, so he promised that it was there. An hour into my travel, I called him to let him know that I was on my way, and he said that he had the car waiting.

Once I arrived, he greeted me before I walked into the door and was saying, "sorry..." He said that he had just sold the silver and didn't realize it was the only one. I was so pissed. Of course I didn't believe him. I knew he just wanted to get me in the door. Before making the drive to Chula Vista, I had called all the dealerships north of there in San Diego for the silver, but none were in stock. The guy said he had a black or white in stock, but I told him that I didn't want the white or black. He then said that he would call around to see if he could locate one to make an exchange, but I told him that I had already called all the other dealers and no silver Fits were currently in stock. BUT...he "found" one at the Palomar dealership. He asked me if I could wait. I was sort of irritated because he wasn't giving me any breaks. I was paying the max OTD price I had seen, and I had been watching this site for 4+ months. Prices OTD had ranged for the automatic, sport btwn $16,500 and $17,800. I paid $18,000 OTD, waited close to 5 hours for the whole thing to happen since it took time to get the car down to Chula Vista. Of course my "new" car had 60 miles on it due to the drive. The dealer told me to take a walk around the car to make sure all looked ok. I made a major error. I was so irritated with the whole sleazy dealer and the whole thing, and tired and hungry, that I just trusted that the car was new.

I noticed within the first week and less than 200 miles on the car that the spoiler at the bottom front had a pretty major scratch. I had barely driven the car and was 100% sure I hadn't hit anything, and it wasn't something someone else could hit my car and leave. It was a scrape. I actually had to go back to the dealership the next week to pick up mats, and told the guy at the auto yard that I was pretty confident that the scrape was there when I bought the car. The Honda guy said with that scrape, I would have definitely known that I hit something. He said the damaged area would be about $200 to fix! I felt even worse about the dealership, and was upset with myself for not making sure that this "found" car was ok. I've driven the car for a year now and there are no other scrapes.

The day I bought the car I had questioned the dealer about this supposed sell of the silver Fit that was just made before I arrived. I said that I wanted him to prove it to me by showing me the paperwork. Of course, he couldn't find the paperwork. : ) The guy was a piece of work, so the joy I should have had for this purchase was sucked away.

SOOOO my advice to you, accept that you may have to pay $500 to $1000 more than other places, but get a dealer that you feel comfortable with and at least get a few extras that they generally throw in for "free" anyway, such as mats, wheel locks, etc. The Fit is a great car for me and my needs. I wish I had only paid $16,000 with no scrapes and a good experience, but I didn't and it's still a great car. With gas prices so high, I haven't really stressed about the rise in prices as the majority are feeling with their SUVs and trucks.

Good luck, sorry so long but this has built up inside for a year. haha..
    I might be missing something here but back east when we want a dealer to hold a car for us we give them a refundable credit card deposit over the phone (anywhere from $100 - $500). In return, they give us a VIN. That means the car is yours, subject to your approval upon arrival at the dealership. It also means they cannot sell the car out from under you.

I'm not denying that some of the dealer experiences posted on this forum are HORRIBLE but I also suspect some of those experiences are exaccerbated by the inexperience of the buyer in knowing how to legally manipulate the dealer.
  • absconfusedabsconfused Member Posts: 73
    It goes to show some salesmen are slimy but it does not sound like she put a deposit on her car...sounds like he just "promised" it was there. I always used the online inventory thing on the car dealer's websites to show what colors they had and it was always accurate.
  • xanmaster44xanmaster44 Member Posts: 2
    You got the price down to 15,709 for an automatic sport? Isn't that below invoice? I can't find anything below 16,600 in minnesota!
  • nichevonichevo Member Posts: 3
    We are buying a base 5AT Fit for 15,198. The dealership has been great, the only thing that sucks is delay in getting the exact car we want due to the high demand. We could have driven off the lot with one last week but, I really don't like orange.

So we wait for the one we want to come in and by next week, I should have a happy ending to the story.
    Yes, it is below invoice, but I'm sure they pay less then the invoice to get it on the lot. Also, they get a kick back from honda for selling so many cars (they told me they sell the most cars in PA) in a month. So I guess they made their money by making a large amount of sales. The sales guy told me it was a great deal and that they are going to be selling them above invoice for now on because the demand is so high.

The 17,700 OTD is around the price my local honda dealer quoted me. I told the guy that I would buy the car right now for 17,000 OTD, and they said they couldn't do that. I called the dealer (asked to speak with the sales manager) that I bought the car from, and told them that if I was going to drive 90 min. to pick up the car it would have to be for close to $16,800 OTD for the auto sport if they were willing to earn my business. The sales manager called back in 5 minutes and told me they would be happy to do business with me and I paid a deposit over the phone using a credit card.

I don't know the market where you live, but I would ask all the dealers in the area for their best price OTD and let them know that you will be buying a new fit in the next 3 days. Also, wait until the end of the month to send out your email. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. :)
    nichevo - that's a good price and still a few bucks below MSRP. I paid $15,049 about 2 weeks ago for the same car at a dealership near Baltimore. Be careful they don't 'lose' your order at that price; get the VIN as soon as you can.

BTW - where are you located and how big of a deposit did you give them?
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    I bought my Fit Sport Auto for $16,000 (tax and title extra, of course) back in April. I know that I paid kust invoice ($16,700 window sticker). I am in Northern NJ and DCH Honda had the largest inventory in Bergen county. When I tried another 2 dealers they could not match the price.
    There is a shortage of Fits and most dealers are cashing in....some of us are luckier than others I guess (to be below invoice on a hot selling car)....I never talk OTD since taxes and registrations vary from state to state....I like comparing bananas to bananas, negotiationg car prices with sales people is difficult enough for me..
    I did find one honda dealer in N.J. when I did my internet search, Sussex honda, and it was about 40 miles from my house and they wanted about 16,900 + Tax and Tags, So maybe prices in N.J. are higher then PA? Also, I did talk to the dealer on the phone and he told me how these cars are not marked up much at all and there is very little room if any to budge on the price, Blah, Blah, Blah.
  • nichevonichevo Member Posts: 3
    I was able to get the car through my insurance company which also has a car buying service, (the company is USAA.) Because of this, they have specific dealers that they work with, (where I live in central, NJ it is DCH Academy Honda), and they set the price with the dealer, usually it is around $200 above invoice.

The process makes things a lot easier and guarantees a minimum of hassles. The only deposit I had to put down was a $500 good faith deposit since they have to bring the car in from elsewhere.
  • kwingkwing Member Posts: 5
    This is getting pretty confusing - I don't think everyone is comparing apples to apples. It might help if people broke down what they mean by OTD - it obviously doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. Taxes are different from place to place as well as licensing fees. It would be better to know the actual cost of the vehicle before tax and license.
  • kwingkwing Member Posts: 5
    So, what was the price for Silver Honda Fit Sport with Auto Trans before tax and license? It sounds like about $16,600?