Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    well, just got back from the dealer. bought an '08 base Fit, manual. they don't have a single one left on the lot, so they are 'locating' one for me. should know more by tomorrow. paid under msrp, and they gave me a great deal on my trade-in. very happy so far.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You weren't "forced". You didn't have to buy it.

There is about 500.00 profit in those when sold at MSRP so getting 1000.00 off would be pretty unlikely.

At this point, I think we have maybe six Fits left, four of these are the lease desirable base models with five speeds.

There are none in the pipeline so it'll be two months before we see any more and they will be 2009's.

Your part of the country may vary...this is very frustrating to say the least.
    I wish you well on that locate.

Unless they happen to have a Sport Automatic to trade, it's pretty unlikely another store will give one up.

Good Luck!
  • fit4life1fit4life1 Member Posts: 14
    I actually didn't want the sport anyway. I put on my own aftermarket spoiler, fog lights, wheels, exhaust system, and sound system. Soon, I'll be throwing on a body kit. So, basically, a sport would've been a waste of money for me. I think what irritated me was that the 08 sport was only a couple hundred more than the 07 base which is what I bought. granted, It only had 2800 miles on it.
    You're right, it's highly unlikely that another dealer is willing to give one up. I'm getting mine new off the boat, likely the last '08 vase sitting at the port, waiting to be trucked to the dealer. ETA next week.
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    My wife just got her 2008 Blaze Orange automatic fit. We too had to wait on a shipment and paid MSRP. I did insist that they not add on anything, scotchgard, mats, etc. Plan to add the armrest, either the JDM whole console or the one from an Italian company(Woods company) that also is adjustable. Waiting for a quote from them or a location here in the States. It has to be adjustable since my wife has the seat really close to the steering wheel.
    Looks good and not expensive either.

Maybe Honda will add these in the 2009's ?
  • fit4life1fit4life1 Member Posts: 14
    Personally, I don't need an arm rest. It's anybody that rides with me that complains about it. But, since it is inexpensive, i will get it.
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    I looked at that one along with several others. It is adjustable up and down, but the top of the armrest on that one does not move forward. For someone that has the seat almost all of the way to the front you would not have enough of the armrest exposed to put your arm on. This is the armrest that I am considering if they will reply to my email.

http://www.woodcompany.com/hondapage.htm
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    I never even thought of an arm rest for a Fit. It looks like a pretty cool set-up though. I have to agree with isell: I wonder if Honda will offer one standard or as an accessory?

My internet has been restricted at work (but not edmunds, lol). But, if you go to www.honda.co.jp/ you should be able to view pictures of the 2009 Fit/Jazz. Perhaps they will show pics of the interior?
    my '08 fit base just rolled in off the truck... probably the last '08 M.T. fit base (in silver) around.
    picking up @ the dealer today!
    Here she is! SUCH FUN!!!!"image
  • iwant1tooiwant1too Member Posts: 32
    Congrats! Enjoy your purchase.
  • dougjustdougdougjustdoug Member Posts: 6
    I've been a member here since I bought a new CRV in 2006, and I just bought a new Fit last month -- 2008 Sport, AT (because I have a newbie driver in the family), Vivid Blue Pearl. Purchase price was $15,885 in Newark, Delaware. I only had to wait a couple of days for my Fit to arrive on the truck. I've since added the OEM floor mats and rear bumper protector, and the Japanese-market (JDM) coin holder. Soon to be ordered: door sill covers, JDM passenger-side sun visor, and the cargo cover. I love the Fit so far!
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    I have bought 3 new 2008 Fit Sport Automatics since December of 2007. The MSRP on each car was the same, $16,705. All were purchased cash (no financing) and no trade-in.

The first one (blaze orange) was bought in Lincoln, NE, in Dec of 2007 for $16,322 and no documentation fee, or $200 over Honda's generally recognized "invoice" cost for this car of $16,122.

The second (milano red) was bought in Omaha, NE in Mar of 2008 for $16,167. or $45 over invoice, again no documentation or other added fees (except for state sales tax, license, registration, the items you pretty much have to pay in any state).

The third (vivid blue) was bought in Lincoln in June 2008, same dealer as the first, for $16,122, or invoice, no doc fees or add-on.

In each case I paid anywhere from $383 to $583 UNDER "invoice" (who knows how much the dealers actually pay Honda for the vehicle).

The moral of the story is that it is possible to get a good deal on a new Fit, but your chances of doing that appear to be greatly swayed by where you live in the country. It appears Fits are selling for anywhere from MSRP to way higher on both the West and East coasts, due to demand greatly exceeding supply. So if you can buy a Fit in the Midwest (or possibly the Southeast or Southwest) for $500-$2,000 less, it might be worth it to locate and close a deal on a Fit with a Midwest dealer and then go pick up the car there (depending on how far you have to travel).

The dealers I bought from were Williamson Honda (Lincoln, NE) and O'Daniel Honda (Omaha, NE)

Also, due to the high demand/low supply current situation with Fits, the Kelley Blue Book private party values have shot way up in the last couple months, and are currently $1000-2000 MORE for a like-new used Fit than a brand new one bought from a dealer - go figure.
    "Also, due to the high demand/low supply current situation with Fits, the Kelley Blue Book private party values have shot way up in the last couple months, and are currently $1000-2000 MORE for a like-new used Fit than a brand new one bought from a dealer - go figure."

Which makes me wonder why any dealer would even bother discounting a vehicle that a consumer can turn around and make money on?

I'm sure if someone offered you $18000.00 you would sell it in a heart beat, but if a dealer sold it for that price you would call them a rip-off.
  • funchyfunchy Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my first honda this week.

Fit, manual transmission. $500 below sticker price. Dealership is Martin in Newark, Del.

*BEWARE* this dealer and a bunch of other Honda places are trying to put a $1,000 "market upcharge" on really in-demand models such as the Fit. Don't fall for it. :mad:

It was their second to last Fit on the lot. They didn't expect any more until the '09s arrive. The remaining one is a gold Sport, if anyone is interested.
    Hey mpls,

Any Fits left in your area? We are OUT of 2008's and so is everybody else.

Our phones ring constantly from people looking for them.

Taking deposits for 2009's that will be arriving in October and probably half of those are pre-sold now.
  • danbeaudanbeau Member Posts: 11
    They seem to be all gone here in Central PA too.

I'm posting Mom's '07 base automatic with 17K miles for sale this week. She can't wait for her 09!
    According to my "On-Order detail" we have 36 2009's assigned to us. Only 14 have production dates so far. Of the 36 '09's just one is available; a silver base M/T.

We are long sold out of the 2008's.
  • danbeaudanbeau Member Posts: 11
    Just left a deposit on a 09 Sport Automatic.

My local dealer is charging MSRP which was quoted as $17,580. They have a $70 doc fee that I couldn't negotiate away, but I'm happy overall.

Now who wants to buy the 07? :-)
  • iwant1tooiwant1too Member Posts: 32
    I stopped by one of my local Honda dealers a few days ago to see if they had any info on the 2009. The salesman told me he would get some information together and email it to me. Not. I was also told I could put a deposit on one of the incoming cars. I asked what was required and he replied $2500. I asked him if it was refundable since the car was not available for viewing. He said one of the managers would explain that to me, if I didn't like the Fit, the deposit would be applied to another vehicle. It was not refundable! No thank you, I'll look elsewhere.
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I wish he would have manually calculated the MPG instead of relying on the on-board computer.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter with a large national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who purchased a small, fuel-efficient vehicle in the past couple of months. If you are new small fuel-efficient vehicle owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Thursday, August 21st.
  • badselfbadself Member Posts: 39
    Honda has confirmed build on my '09 Fit Sport (auto) in storm silver with vsa/nav.

Was built week of August 4, VIN to be transmitted to dealer any day.

I estimate arrival by the end of September, at the latest.

Really didn't want nav at this price point, but the benefit if VSA is virtually indisputable, so there it is.
  • gr8poobahgr8poobah Member Posts: 7
    On 2/20/08 I contacted Portland, OR, dealer and enquired about price on a 2009 Fit. Received the following reply: MSRP on the 2009 Honda Fit Sport Automatic with VSA and Navigation is $19,430, however, most dealerships are marking them up anywhere from $2000 - $5000 over MSRP. At this time, we are unsure of the market conditions at the time of the actual release of the 2009 Honda Fit, so are not taking any deposits.
    The first 2009 Honda Fit is scheduled to be on the ground on the 26th of August, however, we will not be getting any for sale until the second week of September.
    As a dealer I don't understand why some dealers would dare try to mark the car up over MSRP. To me, $19430.00 for a Fit seems high, but then again I am not in the market for one. One thing I will say however, is the new Fit is damn sharp!

At present we have 12 in-transit from the port, which happens to be Portland, OR. We'll have our 12 by the 26th which is the "official" launch date.

For the record, we have 33 arriving starting next week through the begining of October and they are all pre-sold.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So that is interesting... you will have 12 Fits by next Tuesday, yet a Twin Cities Honda dealer I talked with today said they won't get any 2009 Fits in for 3 weeks. :surprise:
    It would be foolish to pay over MSRP for this vehicle. Nearly every dealer I spoke to in Maryland wants MSRP, and if you look hard enough you will find a dealer in your area willing to do the same. My God, with nav/vsa, this thing lists for $19,430, add $2-5K to that, and any economic benefit to this vehicle will be left at the dealership in the form of needless to pay markup. However, if that's the road you wish to take (or in fact, your area prices so much differently than the rest of the nation, then I wish you well in your purchase.

The only vehicle I would purchase over MSRP these days is the upcoming Nissan GT-R, and only because of the potential for turning it over at a handsome profit.
  • gr8poobahgr8poobah Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your comment. I agree completely and don't intend to pay such a mark-up, but I thought people might like to know what is going on here in the northwest. In a few months, after the greed has been satisfied, I will probably buy one @ MSRP.
  • 2009_fit2009_fit Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for 2009 fit and if there is one, please let me know the details at daisonj@gmail.com
    Just a quick update: According to Honda, our 2009 Honda Fits were loaded on to a train this morning. They are heading out from Portland and we expect them this week.
    Our first 2009 Honda Fit Sport A/T just arrived. Blue Sensation!!! Man this thing is cool looking :)
    Can you verify if the Blue Sensation is anything like Vivid Blue Pearl? Thanks.
    they look the same to me.
    They did to me also, in photos, but nothing like seeing it first hand.
  • kenbtkenbt Member Posts: 33
    What is the MSRP on this car?

I know invoice and below can be had here in Southern California.

Do you think invoice or below will also be possible for the 2009 Fit Sport Automatic?
    I wish you luck getting invoice or below on an '09 Fit, you'd be lucky to get $500 off MSRP. Most dealers here in Maryland want MSRP, and if you're introducing a trade into the deal, they lowball you so bad on that you may as well be looking at $2k over MSRP when the deal is done.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    For this car, esp. the '09, you will pay MSRP, if not more. No invoice, no discount off MSRP. If you don't take one because you don't like the price, there will be another person right behind you who will.
  • broadwaytoshopbroadwaytoshop Member Posts: 21
    What is the MSRP on this car?

I know invoice and below can be had here in Southern California.

Do you think invoice or below will also be possible for the 2009 Fit Sport Automatic?

If you know where to get these cars for invoice and under, before most dealerships even get them into the inventory, why are you asking about the MSRP? :confuse:
    If you know you can have this car for less than invoice, and where to get, who cares about MSRP? :confuse:
  • blackberry09blackberry09 Member Posts: 3
    The Honda dealer in Lewiston ID sells thiers for MSRP - no questions asked. They pointed out to me that the difference between MSRP and invoice is pretty small on the Hondas already, so they just have a no-haggle policy at MSRP.

My 09 Blackberry Fit Sport AT VSA/NAV is in the pipeline...
  • dv8tordv8tor Member Posts: 23
    I just had a terrible phone experience with the Internet Sales "Manager" at Honda Santa Ana, CA. Firstly, they don't provide quotes over the phone or email. Yet, they want you to bring in other quotes so they can beat it! I could already tell this guy was going to be selling hard. He just sounded like a shark! He said that their 08 Fits are selling at MSRP and their 09 Fits are above MSRP. I thought they don't quote prices over the phone! Anywho, I told him I got a quote for an 08 at below MSRP. He basically told me in his high-almighty voice, "Go buy it"! Then hung up! Can you believe it! I guess the guy doesn't understand the whole sales cycle. If I don't buy now, I may buy in the future. And if I have a great experience, I will go out of my way to tell my friends, family and anyone else who is looking for a Honda. Just PM me and I'll gladly let you know who I spoke to, although, I think you can easily figure out who it is at that dealership.
  • clynchclynch Member Posts: 6
    Life is too short to mess around with obnoxious sales people. Spend $50 more down the street and you will feel much better about the whole transaction.
    Just a perspective from my experience. If a customer calls me and tells me a price that there is no way I can get to I'll first ask, "Do they have the car in-stock or is a car you have to wait a few months for?". If it's an in-stock car I simply tell them it is a great price and hard to pass up and if I could there I would. Followed by something anong the line of, "Congratualtion on that deal, you have out-smarted that dealer. Hopefully you can still service the car here, but it's a Honda so I guess we wont get to see you too often". I try very hard to be a nice as I can be when losing a car deal :)

On the Fit's, we don't mark them up and we don't discount them. To me (and this is just my opinion) why discount a car that someone can turn around and sell for more then what they just paid for it.
    What do you mean by "Hopefully you can still service the car here..."? Why is the "hopefully" needed in that statement? Would your dealership deny service to someone who bought a Honda at another dealership? Why would you even want to imply that is the case? :confuse:
  • pauleyepauleye Member Posts: 11
    I think he meant "hopefully you will still bring your car in for service here". That's how I read it anyway.
  • clynchclynch Member Posts: 6
    I think what he meant (and I took it this way) was "sorry we could not meet your expectations on purchasing a new car, but we hope you will use us for your service needs" Remember dealers make "way" more money on service than on sales.
    I hope that is what he meant also. But there is a general misconception out there that you have to have your new car serviced at the dealership where you bought it. I don't know where that perception comes from, but it might come partly from comments from salespeople at dealerships?