Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I'm sure he'll be back to clarify his post, at some point.. but, I didn't read it that way at all...

The whole post was geared towards leaving the non-customer with a good feeling, in the hopes that they might be a future customer..

At least.. that's my non-cynical view.. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I would rather not assume what someone meant. I would say that is being practical as opposed to cynical. There is a big difference between "can" and "will". I will allow that some people may not know/understand that difference.

I know you have been around Town Hall a long time, so you have probably read posts from buyers who think that they must have their cars serviced at the dealership where they bought the car.
    Well.... so far, I think you are parsing things a little too tightly.. After all, he was giving an example of how he approaches a non-deal, not a play-by-play of an actual customer interaction..

And.. as always.. I'm sure that I'm correct.. lol.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pyrocaniacpyrocaniac Member Posts: 1
    I'd happily pay MSRP for a 2009 Fit at this point -- how likely is that?

I just went to my nearest dealer here in north-central Florida (won't name them now) to put down a $500 deposit for "first right of refusal" (i.e., to get on the waiting list) for the new shipment expected soon. But first I wanted them to tell me what it would cost to walk out the door with the car.

The MSRP + destination fee for the trim level I want is $16,730, which I knew by checking online (for a Sport with manual transmission). This dealer won't sell me a car without adding on both a $500 non-negotiable "dealer fee," plus a $700 package that includes floor mats, wheel locks, and trunk tray. :mad: :sick:

I was ready to even go a bit above MSRP, but $1200?? Ouch! They might come down a couple of hundred, but probably no more. I'm definitely shopping other dealers now. Is anybody else having better luck? If not, I can wait 3-4 months for a car, so I may let the first wave hit the shores and try my luck later at a different dealer, or perhaps I should start looking at different cars...? Fiesta? Matrix/Vibe? I had my heart set on a Fit...
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Nice way to take it out of contex. For the WHOLE sentance: "Hopefully you can still service the car here, but it's a Honda so I guess we wont get to see you too often."

Meaning, if you live close to me, you dont have to service at the dealer you bought from. Even though you're not a sales customer you're more then welcome as a service customer. Plus you toss in some small humor with the Honda repair records.

Based on the reaction from everyone else, I would say you are the only one backy, who thinks this comment was anything but innocent. When someone says, "I'm so hungry I could eat a cow.", do you tell them that no one could eat a cow?
    No. But I would have said, "Hopefully you will still service the car here,...".

Thanks for clarifying your statement.
  • mquillenmquillen Member Posts: 71
    I would report him to the dealership owner, or the GM, or whoever signs his paycheck. Sometimes they don't care, sometimes they do. I'm sure someone like mnplshondadlr would like to know if their people are rude and obnoxious to potential customers. It's a small world, and some customers will go back to a dealer if they are treated well, even if they weren't as competitive as they'd hoped.
  • ladyproladypro Member Posts: 2
    salesman called today, 09 milano red sport auto vsa/nav mats and cargo tray sticker price 19,769
  • rei181rei181 Member Posts: 1
    I went to the dealer here in Hawaii after seeing a Blue Sensation on the lot. They just got it today. I really liked the color and driving around town it felt just fine. I would have bought it but they wanted $3000 !!!! over the MSRP of $17560. That was strictly the dealer markup because they hadn't had time to add the floor mats, pin stripe and other stuff that they put on every car for an additional $800. The salesman said they don't do any deals on Fits or Civics now but $3000 is ridiculous.
  • badselfbadself Member Posts: 39
    Sorry, nothing more I can say about that.
  • gr8poobahgr8poobah Member Posts: 7
    Dealer here in Portland, OR, area wants $2,000.00 over MSRP on a similar Sport and they consider that a special price only for their internet customers!
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    You said your Fits arrived via Portland, OR. Where is your dealership? In CA? Just curious. Thanks.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Unless I'm mistaken he's from Minnesota, and based on his user name the Minneapolis area.
  • salemfitsalemfit Member Posts: 5
    Prices seem to be all over the place. I live south of Portland, Oregon. Don't want to get too specific but the dealer I pre-ordered a 09 Fit Sport AT with turned out to want $1,500 over MSRP. No way. I called another dealer and got a quote for $1,000 over MSRP. Finally, I found a very close by dealer who is selling at MSRP with no extras added on (stripes, etc.). Will now get my Fit in November instead of September because I changed dealers. But for $1,500 less - that is just fine.

You really do have to shop around.
    Yes, you definitely have to shop around and be patient as I'm sure many dealerships will be in short supply for a little while and thus can afford to slap on those high add on fees.
    Port of entry for the Honda Fit built in Japan is Portland, OR. And I am in Minneapolis.
  • katrinka1katrinka1 Member Posts: 9
    Please tell me what ADM means. :confuse:
  • brianflysbrianflys Member Posts: 8
    Test drove a black automatic '09 Fit Sport this afternoon at a dealer in east San Diego County, CA (Tipton Honda). This one was on the lot, unsold. The vehicle had a supplemental dealer sticker with mats, wheel locks, rear deck liner, plus a $2000 additional markup. Definite upgrade from the '08 I testdrove in early summer, but I can wait for the frenzy to pass. The dealer staff were polite when I said I was not interested at all in paying over MSRP. They said the best they could do is maybe $1K over right now. Gave my contact info and told them to call me when they had my model and color, with no markup or extra add-ons.
    I guess if you are seriously hot to get a black auto Sport and are willing to pay a big premium to be the first on your block to have one, give them a call.
  • broadwaytoshopbroadwaytoshop Member Posts: 21
    If I can afford to pay "Adjusted Market Values" for the hot new vehicle in the market, and I am willing to spend my money for what I want, why does that make me an idiot? :confuse:

"Where is quality is the thing sought after, the thing of supreme quality is cheap, whatever the price one has to pay for it."
    WILLIAM JAMES
    ADM is short for additional dealer markup which some dealers add to the MSRP for vehicles in short supply.
  • ak_fitak_fit Member Posts: 8
    I test drove an 09 Fit Sport Auto MSRP 17,580. +$199 doc fee + $2000 additional dealer markup. The salesman was straighforward and stated they add this markup to most of thier models, basically because they have no competition in Alaska. I asked for roughly a bottom line on price though I was not interested in the one vehicle they had on the lot; already had too many dealer installed doodads. They offered $1250 off the $2k for that one, or $1k off for one coming in 2 weeks. We didn't make a deal. We liked the car a lot, drove great, quiet, looks good, rear seat very cool with new headrests. Any comments regarding negotiability of doc fee's?
  • cruzitudecruzitude Member Posts: 5
    If you don't pay any ADM I have a feeling you're gonna be in a long waiting line. $3k over is excessive, but $1k is about the best you can do for long time given the extreme popularity.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    They have several Sport models at a local dealer but felt a hard bar down the center of the drivers seat in an '08 model...very uncomfortable actually. Do the '09's also have this uncomfortable front seat seat cushion? My Civic seat is so much more comfortable to my spine. My daughter thought the Fit was just o.k. Nice blue color though.

The Sandman :)
    There are dealers who don't play the "ADM" game. One example is Walser Burnsville (MN) Honda, which is charging MSRP for their '09 Fits even if it's to get in line for one they don't have in stock yet.
    Why blame the dealership?
    If they set the "ADM" price to high for their products in their market, chances are they will not sell many. In this situation, the market dictates pricing. The dealership will have to discount their products to gain favor in the market place.
    If the market accepts these "ADM" prices, however, the dealership will hold the line. The dealership deserves to profit just like any other business in a supply in demand market. In these situations, the Market sets the bar, the dealership is just responding accordingly. What would you do, if you were in charge? :shades:
    I'm in charge of how I spend my money :) so what I'd do is look for the lowest possible price, ADM or no ADM. If it's not to my liking, I'd look for a different car. Maybe what these dealerships who tack on "ADM" don't realize is that there are many, many cars to choose from out there. A few folks who just gotta have a Fit will pay it. I can pass.
    My Minneapolis area Honda dealership dosen't mark 'em up over invoice either. However, a person could buy one from me tomorrow and then turn around and sell it for a 2k-3k profit.
    Meaning there are people out there willing to pay $3500-4500 over MSRP for a Fit (since the original buyer would need to recoup his/her tax/license/fees paid)? Wow. What was it that P. T. Barnum said? ;)
    If the Dealership attempts to cash in based on "ADM", they are seen as thieves, however, the individual that buys low and sells high, he is a genuis? :confuse:
    Seems like a bit of a double standard. :surprise:
  • absconfusedabsconfused Member Posts: 73
    Hey sandman

the Fit is just ok...I only got it b/c I like small cars, need storage, and try to buy the most reliable car i can afford given those other two criterion.

If you want to compare the Civic, there is no comparison my 07 and the o7 civic but I heard the 09 has better upholstery...not sure if it is true...the past Fits take a lot of getting used to when you are used to a more plush interior...It was a bit of an adjustment for me....very minimal and cheap...felt for carpet HA! But it serves me and the Civic is too big for me...I really like a small car.

And I like the higher ride in the Fit vs. Civic which is totally opposite...I put 17 inch wheels and tires on (black wheels) on a red car and it looks so great and I have good rain tires so I feel safe....

Gas mileage on the civic can be as good or usually better than the Fit....

In order to be happy with the Fit you really need to want its features, like the storage flexibility...this car has been really difficult for me to drive long distances where the interstate highways have upward slopes...It's not like my gas mileage is sooo great that it's worth how hard it is to get up to a normal speed on a hill on an extended drive. Local driving is not a problem though and when you reach your speed it is no problem....

Again, I am happy with my purchase b/c it was my best choice given the options I considered and test drove and reviewed but if I did not need the storage flexibility I might still get it due to size.

I really wanted a Mazda hatchback but I have had two and they both started having problems around 60,000 and they had lousy reviews on so many of their vehicles due to faulty this and that so I did not opt for a third one!!
    :)
  • badselfbadself Member Posts: 39
    Not to worry. Mine will be coming Sept 4-9, and here in Maryland, dealers are willing to go MSRP. I will be paying MSRP minus a small discount, plus taxes, title, and tags. Maybe that's why I feel paying over MSRP at this price point (nav/vsa) is insane. I love the Fit, and I love it more at MSRP or better, that's all.
    Getting email quotes from local dealers using the Edmunds site. The good news is I am getting quotes at MSRP without (apparent) ADM.

But it's still quite the challenge to get real apples-to-apples comparisons. All so far include the destination as part of the MSRP, but have language in the quotes stating that "dealer installed options" and other fees would be extra (I did, but cannot assume these fees are just tax & tags). I specifically said to exclude all dealer add-ons, but it appears I need to be very specific to make sure nothing is added.

One dealer has stated that the "Protection Package" of mats, wheel locks, door edge moldings, and cargo tray is pretty much a manditory addition (at his store) to the MSRP price, at the bargain price of $695 (for parts that I found retail for $293). Says the parts are shipped with the car and the dealer pays for them, then installs them and gets the added profit to make up for the apparent "charity" pricing on the Fit with its tiny profit. Saw this package listed as $1295 add-on on one Fit when visiting some dealers.

Another dealer says the "Protection Package" is included in the MSRP quote (also destination is included in the quote). But they do not list the actual components making up the package. Still waiting for clarification from the other dealers.

So are you buyers just adding on the "protection package" to MSRP or are you telling the dealers to leave it all out (or include the items at no additional cost)? Are dealers insisting on including these heavily marked up items? Maybe buy the parts at some agreed to price (since they are worth about $250 via email parts sources) and you install them later?

Just reinforces that getting these email quotes does not mean I have the whole cost picture, despite clear instructions to not include any dealer options in the quotes. Need to get in writing clear confirmation of exactly what is included with the MSRP quote, as well as what exactly is every other fee being charged.

Anyone sent your prospective dealers a quote sheet or spreadsheet to fill out to get all of the cost items (including all of the "fees")? Think I will do this as the next step for the short-list of prospective dealers.
  • movingsale45movingsale45 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone knows can I lease a 09 Honda fit sport ? in SF Bayarea , CA ?
    if so , what is the Money Factor and residual value? Thanks
    My customer just picked up his 2009 Honda Fit Sport A/T. Price:
    $17580.00
    +$1142.70 MN sales tax (6.5%)
    +$273.00 MN DMV fee's
    +$75.00 dealer documentation fee
    =$19070.70 TOTAL OTD

He has already ordered another one for an October delivery because he sold his to a guy in South Dakota for $20K!

Another customer sold his spot on the waiting list to a guy for $1000.00.

So, if we as a dealer mark them up over MSRP we're considered crooks, but an average Joe sell's it for $20K he's a smart investor?
    Wouldn't the guy who sold his spot on the waiting list have to have the approval and cooperation of the salesperson to do that? I know some dealerships that do not allow that practice.
    The salesperson who wrote the original guy, gets the new guy. As far as the dealership cars, it's still a sale.
  • absconfusedabsconfused Member Posts: 73
    If he bought for 19070.70 I would not say he has made very much money. He is taking the risk that the next car comes with the options he really wants by the time he needs it...What a crazy way to make a buck!
    :confuse:
    ===========
    So, if we as a dealer mark them up over MSRP we're considered crooks, but an average Joe sell's it for $20K he's a smart investor?

customer just picked up his 2009 Honda Fit Sport A/T. Price:
    $17580.00
    +$1142.70 MN sales tax (6.5%)
    +$273.00 MN DMV fee's
    +$75.00 dealer documentation fee
    =$19070.70 TOTAL OTD
    Every Fit Sport is built exactly the same. So he will get the exact car he ordered.
    Just as I stated in my earlier post. "Who is to blame for the ADM game"
    The dealership has entered into an agreement with the manufacturer and assumes all the risk and accountability associated with the sale and distribution of the products, and deserves the additonal profit current market demand dictates.
    The opportunist, however, gets to profit without scrutiny and or accountability.
    E-bay has dozens of exmples of this type of gray area infringement. :confuse:
  • ak_fitak_fit Member Posts: 8
    We purchased the FIRST 09 Honda Fit sold in Alaska today. Sport, Auto, Storm Silver. We paid MSRP: 17,580 + doc fee + title and registration. No dealer installed options. I called the sales manager and they had just gotten this unit in. On the phone I offerred to pay MSRP, he said fine -in spite of the 2,000 ADM marked on the window. I originally wanted a Base but they weren't set to recieve any base / automatics, so we went for this one. We almost bought a Hyundia Accent yesterday but the saleman pissed of my wife -mistake- I lost some sleep over it last night and really, in the end, the safety of the Fit loomed large in the decision. Alaskans drive like maniacs and the weather can be tough -our other car is an Element.
  • mainemanxmainemanx Member Posts: 70
    '76 Accords were $3995 in Florida.

I was half-way through grad school, and that was a lot of money! But significantly less than a Scirocco.
    '77 Scirocco was $5250...

I wanted one really bad, but couldn't swing it.. ended up with a Ford :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Seems like Fits are starting to show up in real numbers, at least here in San Diego, and there are opportunities to buy at MSRP. Used the internet quote request function in Edmunds, and got multiple quotes at MSRP. Be careful, because the weasel wording in the quotes may mean the dealer will insist on over-priced "protection packages" or other "fees". Regarding supply, I received several calls and emails from other dealers besides where I bought today, they are getting Fits in and these apparently are not pre-sold.

My experience: bought a 2009 Sport Auto, Storm Silver today, from DCH Lemon Grove Honda (MSRP + gov fees). My experience there was excellent, and I recommend if you are shopping in the San Diego/ SoCal area to contact Paul Choi, Internet sales manager. I get nothing for this recommendation, just a very satisfied customer. Paul is honest, earnest, and very pleasant to work with. Usual fun with the finance guy, but he was pretty good-natured when I declined those add-ons.

The car is great (but you KNOW that!). Burned 1/2 a tank so far, and the meter is showing over 36 average mpg! (mostly freeway driving). It will be interesting to see how this evolves (car had 7 miles at delivery, straight off the truck). Am I happy? :D:D
    Thats why it's a Manufacturer SUGGESTED Retail Price. In other words, we (Honda) thinks it's worth $X however you may be able to sell it for $Y to the right buyer.

It works both ways I guess. Aside from the Fit and the Civic Hybrid, I cant think of a Honda model that sells for MSRP. The rest fall way short of MSRP.

Again, we don't mark them up over MSRP. I think we would rater sell them at MSRP without adding a bunch of crap like wheel locks and splash guards.
    I can not tell you how many times I have had to attempt to justisfy, unsuccessfully mind you, the $995 in additional fees that the dealership charges for wheel locks, mud guards, and door edge guards. Because these add-ons are put on during pre-delivery inspections, must potential customers are very displeased with having to negotiate the cost vs retail of these non-requested items. It is a very one sided approach to raising profit, that make it very difficult to be competitive with other dealerships in the area. I understand the reason for suggestively selling these items, however more often than not, the cost of these items end up being absorbed internally(ie less commisionable gross). If a potential client wants these items, they generally would be willing to pay the retail cost of adding them to the vehicle.
    I agree the price of the most Hondas, in most situations, fall short of MSRP anyway.
    Adjusted Market Value is one thing, Additional Dealer Mark-up is something entirely to subjective to defend.
    MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price

In a free enterprise system like the one we enjoy here in the U.S., there is no reason anyone needs to defend the practice of "additional dealer markup." But there's also no reason you have to put up with it, if you don't like it. You can take your dollars elsewhere. And if enough people do that, there will be no more "additional dealer markups."
    "Because these add-ons are put on during pre-delivery inspections, must potential customers are very displeased with having to negotiate the cost vs retail of these non-requested items."

I was able to catch my car right off the truck and instruct the dealership to not add any add-ons. It's one thing to add some value with these accessories. It's another to gouge the customer. One dealership (not where I bought the car) offered me a "deal" of the protection package for a bargain price of $695 rather than the normal $1295. Of course parts at retail and labor resulted in a 97% profit on this, even at the "deal" price. Pass.

Yes, any dealer can ask what price they want. And I am free to (and did) shop elsewhere. I believe the economy is soft enough that we will see these ADMs disappear pretty quickly. I am already seeing Fits arriving and sitting at dealers without immediate buyers.

So, when will we see Fits selling for $100 over invoice?

Cheers!
  • goldgary1goldgary1 Member Posts: 10
    Speaking of plastic bra for new cars, Fit specifically, has anyone ever had this added to their car? Does it work well? Any drawbacks?

It does look like a nice idea, but I don't see it costing $995.00 per dealer.

Just looking for some feed back with real world experience on this.

Thanks, Gary
  • 78transam78transam Member Posts: 2
    I am buying an Acura TSX from someone who has ordered a Fit from one of the Mpls area dealers. The Fit was built on Aug 29. Do you have a WAG about when Mpls delivery would occur? I buy the TSX when they buy the Fit.
  • 78transam78transam Member Posts: 2
    You can buy kits on ebay for much less. Search on 3m bra Fit.