Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• wang_jichengwang_jicheng Member Posts: 5
    Hi Bgates222,

1) TMV includes TTL or not?
    I also checked the edmunds TMV and it is arround $17k. But my understanding is that the TMV does not routinely include the tax, title and document fees. If it is true, the out of door price would still be close to $19k.

2) Is sales tax for car purchase deductable in California?

Can you or anyone confirm that? Thanks.

Jason
  • bgates222bgates222 Member Posts: 38
    not sure if i can post the link so i posted the text from the IRS website

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act permits taxpayers to take a deduction for state and local sales and excise taxes paid on the purchase of new cars, light trucks, motor homes and motorcycles. The deduction is available on new vehicles purchased from Feb. 17, 2009, through Dec. 31, 2009. In states that don't have a sales tax, the law provides a deduction for other taxes or fees paid. This deduction is available whether or not a taxpayer itemizes deductions on Schedule A.

The deduction is limited to the taxes and fees paid on up to $49,500 of the purchase price of an eligible vehicle. The deduction is reduced for joint filers with modified adjusted gross incomes (MAGI) between $250,000 and $260,000 and other taxpayers with MAGI between $125,000 and $135,000. Taxpayers with higher incomes do not qualify.

Taxpayers who make qualifying new vehicle purchases this year can estimate the deduction with the help of IRS Publication 919, How Do I Adjust My Withholding? Lines 10a to 10k on Worksheet 10 take into account purchases above the $49,500 limit, as well as the reduced deductions for taxpayers at higher income levels.
  • bgates222bgates222 Member Posts: 38
    Also im not sure if the tmv price includes tax but i dont think so
  • sjsuper76sjsuper76 Member Posts: 6
    Hello all, I am shopping around for a 2010 Base Model Fit with AT

I actually dont plan on buying until the middle of December, when I move back to the USA, but I thought I would get a feel for what the market is like.

This was the best offer so far:

2010 Honda Fit base model:

selling price - 16,007.00

tax - 1296.57

registration - 283.50

doc fee - 399.00

Total OTD - 17,986.07

What do you guys think? good deal? or keep looking? Any predictions on how the offers will look around Dec 18th?
  • zachazacha Member Posts: 2
    I put a deposit on a Fit Sport manual. The OTD price is $18,000. The MSRP otd price with is $18,245. So I'm paying $245 less than MSRP. Now, I'm thinking this is a little high. Included in the above is sales tax of 6% and plates/title of $96. What do you guys think?

Can I renegotiate after I put the deposit?
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Fit is a peculiar vehicle in that there is very little difference between the MSRP and dealer Invoice. I believe around $500 or so.

So if you are getting your vehicle for $245 under MSRP, it is a couple of hundred dollars over Invoice, which is a very good deal. I don't think you need to lose any sleep over this. ;)
  • sjsuper76sjsuper76 Member Posts: 6
    Just got an offer for a 2010 Fit base model with AT for $16,400 OTD from Lee's Summit in Missouri.

That almost sounds too low to me...what do you guys think?
  • deadsignsdeadsigns Member Posts: 10
    In May i was offered a new 2009 base AT for 14300 +670 destination or 15800 +670 destination on a sports AT. With about 9% taxes, my out the door would be in the high 16's for the base AT and low 18's for sports AT, don't know what Missouri taxes are. This was because they had a dealer incentive of 500 so maybe there's some kind of incentive now.
  • hondalover16hondalover16 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2010 Honda Fit Sport $19400 (out to door with sales tax) but got ripped off paying $500 over invoice (but I wanted the light blue color which is in short supply here). By the way, I love the way the car drives, just put 300 miles on it and got 40 mpg.
  • girlpower2_0girlpower2_0 Member Posts: 1
    I got quoted for a Honda fit 2009 BASE (Auto Transmission).
    $16410 -MSRP

$16456-(Out of the door price) Internet special including the manufacturer destination charge, South Carolina sales tax and registration, our $199 dealer closing fee, and Honda's Protection Package.

is this a good deal?How much lower can I negotiate?

This is my first car buying experience ever and any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks.
  • babu4babu4 Member Posts: 2
    2009 fit sport AT invoice price from Edmunds is $16,500 and from KBB it is $17,200.
    Here are the links from Edmunds and KBB
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/honda/fit/101061260/prices.html
    http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/honda/fit/2009/pricing-report?id=240673

1)Why are they different?
    2)Can the dealer sell the car less than the invoice price?
    3)In my case, dealer was showing the price from KBB and offering me the mid value of invoice price and MSRP. Can I ask the dealer for the price lower than the invoice price?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    On Edmunds, you have to click on the red tab, PRICE WITH OPTIONS, then go to the next page...

There, it will add the destination charge... and the invoice prices will match.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You consider paying 500.00 over invoice as getting "ripped off"?
  • maxhraymaxhray Member Posts: 7
    Honda Carland. North Cartersville,Ga Advertising The 2010 Honda Fit For $15,714
  • maxhraymaxhray Member Posts: 7
    Do Your "Due Diligence"
    Compare Apples To Apples
    Don't Get In A Hurry
    Sell Your Car YOURSELF!!
    Shop Around
    Do ALL Your Footwork On The NET
    Get The BEST Price Without Visiting The Showroom
    Invest A Few Bucks & Get Consumer Report
    Well, I guess the SECRET is out of the bag now...! :surprise:
  • cruiserandmaxcruiserandmax Member Posts: 1
    For San Francisco (registering in SF) I was just quoted a price of $17,355 + all other fees = $19,364 OTD for a 2010 Fit Sport AT. Is that good for this area right now?

I'm considering waiting until the last week or two in december- do you think it's worth waiting until then on such a low margin car like this?
    There is so little margin in these that there is really nowhere to go, price wise.
  • belfast1belfast1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, sounds like a good price since it includes sales tax and destination fee.
    I just paid $16,190 plus doc fees of $325 and Maine tax of 5%
    good luck
    so far i like my fit
  • babu4babu4 Member Posts: 2
    I have paid $18,300 + tax+title fee+125 doc fee for 2009 sports AT with navigation in Delaware. Is this a good deals? I also got honda's 1.9% APR financing for 36 months.
    If anybody recently bough fit sports or sports with navigation, please post the price
  • fitboyfitboy Member Posts: 2
    My internet quoted price of 17,386 + 300 in tax + a $248 service fee and I think a $29 tag fee - so that gets us to about 18k

Then I added 2 years to the 3 year honda care and got gap insurance - that put me back about another $1500

so my car quote of 17386, which I thought was about right on and didn't haggle over, by the time I drove it home, I was all in at about 19,500.

The art of the sale I suppose.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to speak to a consumer who purchased on Honda because of its strong resale value (or ability to hold on to its value). Please send your daytime phone number and the car you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by Wednesday, December 2, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lokielokie Member Posts: 8
    Just sharing what I know since this forum helped me in the past. Also, I really don't trust any website in terms of the cost. I only believe you guys here because your experience is all real, if not all, i would hope most are real.

my sister just bought a 2010 Fit Base AT; OTD $18,500 yesterday. This was in the Bay Area. I am sure this is not that great of a deal, but I searched and did not see much inventory close by (at least at the time of search). She really needed a car (old car broke down) and can't wait. So oh well.
  • polycloudpolycloud Member Posts: 3
    Price: $15270 ($1140 off MSRP)
    Tax: $954
    Doc fees: $299
    Title/Reg: $125

Total: $16677

This was in Tewksbury, Massachusetts (MA)

What do you guys think? Good or bad deal?
  • newfitbuyer01newfitbuyer01 Member Posts: 1
    I just went to a local dealership here in Bayonne,NJ to test drive a 2010 Honda Fit Sport Automatic transmission. The dealer quoted me $19000 even out-the-door price which includes $198 vehicle protection program/window etching, $279 doc fee, $322 motor vehicle and NJ sales tax. Tried my best to have them deduct the window etching and doc fee, but they won't accept it, says the etching and doc fee are required.. Tried to haggle it down to $18,500 but still no luck.

Is $19K already a good deal fo this vehicle? No dealer added options. Anybody bought this car for $18,500 OTD price?

Should I wait until the last couple weeks of December?
  • moodgardmoodgard Member Posts: 37
    The vehicle protection/window etching is B.S. , and the doc fee is usually jacked up. Registration for 4 years should be only around $200. The dealers find ways to screw us on all these numbers. I would suggest that you try Academy or Open Road Honda; I think you can get the $18,500 OTD price.

I just bought a base AT, at $17,070 OTD :

$14,800
    $710 dest

$1085.70 tax (NJ 7%) - The advantage of buying this month is that this tax is a deduction on 2009 taxes.
    =========

$16,595.70

(Some of the B.S. starts now)

$7.50 Tire tax fee
    $6 online motor vehicle fee
    $211 registration fee (dealer tried to charge $296, but supposedly they'll refund overcharge; I doubt it though, they'll show it as their service fee or something I'm sure)
    $3 Temp sticker fee
    $250 doc fee

===========

$17,070 or so;

This paragraph explains the doc fee, which shows you how they can rip you off:

"It is a fee charged by the Dealer in an amount that covers costs and reflects the value of the benefit provided by the service. In some cases, the fee includes some services that may be optional or may be performed by the customer."
  • jmhill926jmhill926 Member Posts: 1
    Seems like a good deal, thought I would compare with other. Consumer Reports says the invoice price is $16,645 and destination charge is $710. My state has 6% sales tax.
  • byobubyobu Member Posts: 1
    $19271 OTD in Los Angeles County, CA.

The vehicle price is $17209
    (It includes some extras such as wheel locks, rear bumper applique, cargo tray & door edge film).

Sales tax is $1683 (9.75%)
    The rest ($379) is paperwork, title, registrations etc etc
  • shunkyoshunkyo Member Posts: 1
    Bought at the Scott Robinson Honda dealership in Torrance, CA
    Went through the Costco Auto Buying Program
    Paid $100.00 over the invoice they showed me.
    Added the rear bumper applique and the cargo tray.
    Total before taxes - $17645.50
    Document Prep Fee - $55.00
    Sales Tax for all the above - $1725.80
    Optional DMV electronic filing fee - $29.00

Then I got the Honda Care Extended Warranty for 8 years 120,000 miles - $1945.00
    I think I totally got taken for this one. i showed them a quoted price from warrantydirect.com for 6 years 100,000 miles for ~ ~1000.00 which includes coverage if a covered part breaks a non-covered part and if a non-covered part breaks a covered part. They went through the sales pitch of "oh these types of warranties don't get honored. they are out to make money etc." I asked if I could get the honda care extended warranty later so I could think about it and compare the contracts and the salesperson said "No. Then the car is considered used."
    They dropped the price for the 8 yrs, 120,000 warranty about $200.00 dollars.
    What do you all think?

Thanks.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I would recommend you look at the smart shopper board for extended Honda warranties, there are better deals out there.
  • 08outtie08outtie Member Posts: 13
    just bought a 2010 Base AT in Blue Sensation Pearl from Dublin Honda. $250 below invoice, just plus tax and registration. The OTD was $17,381. I have two regrets though from the purchase experience, not related to the FIT itself. I traded in my old car and I didn't do too good at bargaining the trade in value. That probably cost me about $400 difference. Also, I didn't haggle the dealer to throw in a set of floor mat for the FIT, so I had to get a set from ebay. Otherwise, we are liking the new little FIT that we got. Cheers.
  • cormiccormic Member Posts: 1
    I paid $19536 delivered to Baltimore with no tax, title or tags.
    No trade in - I sold my 2003 Civic Hybrid on AutoTrader for $5200.
    I added $1720 for 8 years of Honda Care.
    The dealer offered me the Volkswagen van for the same price. However living in urban America I did not want the liability of negotiating the bus through the pre-automobile urban architecture of my community.
    The negotiating terms were:
    1. Fit 2 road bikes vertically so that they would not require the bikes to be laid on top of each other.
    2. Low operating cost.
    I did not negotiate price. I did negotiate financing at 3%.
    After meeting basic requirements, I wanted the features that come standard on Volkswagen e.g. electronic stability control. That meant springing for the maxxed out Fit.
  • phyx726phyx726 Member Posts: 2
    Going to be paying about 18k OTD but they originally only offered me 3500 for my '02 GTI which has quite a bit of problems. I kept bugging them until they gave me 6200 for it. I still think I overpaid. I've only paid the 1k deposit because the car was not in stock. Can I still negotiate after I paid the deposit? Even though they gave me a decent deal for my car (which has transmission problems) I paid sticker price and that makes me cringe.
    Nah, don't worry about it now; you've paid the deposit and they're going to treat it as a done deal. It's always best to strike the deal on the new car and then work on the price of your trade-in. But you got a great deal for your used car, which brings down the OTD to 17k or so, perhaps even less. You saved yourself the hassle of trying to sell your car on your own etc. Enjoy the new car and be happy you got a good deal overall. Don't give it another thought!
  • phyx726phyx726 Member Posts: 2
    it's nice to have some reassurance. Thank you
  • moolmanmoolman Member Posts: 129
    What the heck is happening here with people paying way too much for the Honda Care warranty? Please do a search for my old posts where I posted my deal. Yes, I bought last year but times are even tougher so you should be able to get a similar deal. I bought below invoice, no trade in, no accessories, nothing to pad the price somewhere else to get a better deal on the warranty. Most of you are getting a decent deal on the car to get screwed on the warranty.

If you do a search online for HondaCare, just google it, many online Honda dealers, real Honda dealers, are selling the 120K/8year for under $1000. I paid $895 for mine, I had my dealer price match the online price. At $1800 for the warranty, its just cheaper to fix the car yourself. The online dealers are selling real HondaCare, not a 3rd party warranties. Also, you can buy the HondaCare warranty at anytime up to when the regular warranty expires.
  • soplushsoplush Member Posts: 29
    I need to trim my budget. I have an '09 Accord Coupe and an '01 BMW Z3. I'm way upside down in the Accord(8K), but not so much in the Z. I'm looking at the Honda Fit as an alternative to the Z.

My question is: will a dealer take my '01 Z3 as a trade on a Fit? And, will they roll any negative equity into the Fit? The Z has very low (52K miles) no wrecks,rolls,or floods.

My ultimate goal is to get down to one vehicle. I'd prefer to trade the Accord Coupe in and sell the Z myself, but again the neg eq is too high.

Thanks for listening. Appreciate any and all feedback/advice. SP
    My experience has been that it's best to separate the new car purchase from trying to work with the dealers. After I bought my Fit, I sold off an old car to a private party for a decent sum that I couldn't have got at the dealer. As far as your negative equity, maybe you can cut down to one vehicle before you go for the Fit, and then sell off the remaining vehicle.
  • soplushsoplush Member Posts: 29
    Hey thanks very much for your reply. Great perspective.
    There is so little margin in a Fit that it would ve very diffficult to roll much if any negative equity.

Wrong car to try to do that!
  • car50car50 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into buying Honda Fit Sport with Navigation and stability/traction control. What would be the best OTD price? Any help/advice is deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Best,

Selvan
  • car50car50 Member Posts: 2
    One dealer is asking $21,150 OTD price for 2010 Honda Fit Sport Auto with Navigation and Stability control. Could somesone help me to find the best price to pay. Thank you for your help.
    I don't know if the navigation system is a separate option or not, but I'd strongly advise against buying a built-in navigation system. I bought a top-of-the-line Garmin navigation unit for $200 with a beanbag holder that is superb. I wouldn't waste money on the high prices charged by auto manufacturers, but each to his or her own I guess...
  • edikedik Member Posts: 8
    I got my Fit 6 days ago. New, but with 190 demo miles on it.

Price $ 14007
    Tax $930
    Title/tag $400
    Dec fee $599

OTD $16000. (Security/Keyless and Armrest installed at my request).
  • ccirelliccirelli Member Posts: 22
    The Nav system in the Fit is a separate option, it's the top of the 3 available models. I totally agree on not buying a built-in Nav system. Nav's are like computers, each year they just get better & cheaper.

I think it's a much better (and cheaper!) option to go with a Garmin, etc. and get a Pro Clip mount to attach to the dash.
  • ccirelliccirelli Member Posts: 22
    $1140 off MSRP on a Fit - given their current high demand - I'd say is a good deal. Congrats!
  • siskiyousummitsiskiyousummit Member Posts: 2
    We just paid $16,855 for a '10 Sport today. That is the invoice less the $500 dealer incentive that Honda is giving back to dealers through March 1. The car is still enroute on a ship, but as long as we did the paperwork this weekend, the dealer will get the $500 and pass it along to us.
    Lithia Honda in Medford, Oregon.

Jim
  • siskiyousummitsiskiyousummit Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to say that that price was for the automatic.
    Jim
  • pumcpumc Member Posts: 1
    I just got new 2010 Fit base automatic at Chicago. I paid 16600 OTD. Price is 15020 without any accessory. Another dealer offered 16450 but didn't have red.
  • pasapaspasapas Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to get a base Fit with armrest, alarm/keyless. My best offer is $17,213. I am in central NJ. How is the market here? How good is this price?