Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• deuces408deuces408 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased yesterday.

2011 Fit Sport AT @ Stevens Creek Honda off their President's Day Sale Ad (they had a ton of fits, and even more that just rolled in this morning when I picked up my car)

Price incl. Destination Fee: $16,288
    Gov't Fees: $287
    Doc Fee: $55 (CA state maximum)
    Taxes @9.25%: $1506
    Total OTD: $18,136

Wasn't really thinking about picking up a car this early (since I move out of state in a few months), but the deal came up and it came under Truecar.com's "Great Price" mark of 16.9k so we went to our local dealership (Capital Honda) to see if they would match. They thought it was illegal since they were advertising below cost (ad stated that it excluded finance charges, gov't fees, applicable taxes, no mention of destination charge)! We weren't sure they'd still have the car at Stevens Creek since only 5 VINS were on the ad. TJ Singh (Internet Manager) helped us out and just let us pick any of the Fit Sports so I got the color I wanted.
  • indiomonkindiomonk Member Posts: 28
    Hello, anyone buy a new 2010 AT Sport Auto recently? I would like to see if I can get a deal on a 2010 if they are still available (doubt it). Do you think I could get a 2011 for 1,500 under MSRP? $16,500? I am in the Dallas Tx area.

Any help would be much appreciated. I did search older posts but the last post was Feb 22.

Thanks,
    zach
  • barrancebarrance Member Posts: 6
    I have 2 preliminary offers of ~$15,4xx for a 2011 Base AT Fit in the CA Bay Area from 2 different dealerships. I think I can probably get them down a little bit more. These are both below TrueCar's "Good Price" of $15.6k, but above the "Great Price" of $15.2k.

Personally, the differences between the Base and the Sport aren't important to me (spoiler, alloy wheels, etc...) but for $1k more, I suppose it's a good value. Any opinions?
  • aveskiaveski Member Posts: 7
    Here is what I paid for a 2011 Fit Sport w AT at Charlies Honda in Augusta ME on 3/12/11. Well, I actually had a trade, but the purchase was based on this OTD quote.
    RP: $18,460

Sale Price: + $ 17,495
    Doc Fee: + $ 299
    Sales Tax: + $ 889.70
    Title Fee: + $ 34

Here are quotes from other dealers in the area.

$19,725
  • biochemistbiochemist Member Posts: 19
    I received a quote from one of the dealers near the airport for $16,958 for an auto Fit Sport. Trying to get confirmation if that price includes destination charge or I need to add that back in. Anyone else have better pricing on an 11 around Chicago? Thanks.
  • byronchicagobyronchicago Member Posts: 3
    Here is what I have been quoted in Chicago, including destination, before taxes, etc:
    Dealer near airport: $17,708
    Northside dealer: $17,545
    South suburban dealer: $17,495
    Near northside dealer: $17,294
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Those are crazy prices as one can get a Civic for less than that...with better mileage & more room in a Civic. My oldest has a Versa SL HB and it's turned out to be a great car...the Honda guys down here were to greedy so we moved on to Nissan and got a better car for less $...a win/win for us! :)
    The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Byronchicago- can you tell me the name of the near northside dealer? Is it Carr's on Western? Thanks.
  • byronchicagobyronchicago Member Posts: 3
    Biochemist:
    Actually, Carrs was rather high. The near northside/westside dealer I found with the best price and service was McGrath. Talk to Jerry Lopata, I found him a nice person to deal with.
    Ed.
  • teaton1teaton1 Member Posts: 3
    I think the upgrade to Sport is worth it. Larger tires and alloy wheels are a good deal.
    Thanks. I did get a price from McGrath, which was: 16,546.31+$750

I found that Fletcher Jones was the lowest so far at 16,545.29+ $750 Destination. I know it's not much- less than a dollar.

O'Hare Honda, and other dealers weren't too far from these prices. Schaumburg Honda was most expensive, quoting me an MSRP price.
  • monkeygodmonkeygod Member Posts: 7
    I have been shopping around for a Fit Auto Sport w/o Nav. but so far I am not seeing any good prices in Houston area. Also most of the dealership seemed to add in those stupid protection packages and tinting. Did anybody around the Houston area make a purchase recently on the Fit and would not mind posting their OTD price? Thanks in advance.
  • roadster479roadster479 Member Posts: 1
    14,700. Add Tax @ 6.25% and doc/title fees is 283.50

The local dealerships say this is the last one in Base Manual form and the Fits will trickle in very slowly from shortages. Good Hunting!
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I am getting ready to replace my 93 Del Sol with a Honda Fit Base AT (avoiding the Sport due to lower mpg & reportedly harsh ride - will upgrade the base with 15" alloys & better tires + progressive Rear Sway Bar still costing less than Sport).

Had my mind all made up to purchase a used 2009. However in doing research, I'm finding that in my area (Seattle / Bellingham WA). Used Fits cost more than new here. Factory invoice on Fit Base AT (incuding shipping) $16,650. I can find no use base models & the cheapest used Sport is $16,690 with 17K miles. Most are $18-20K. I realize these are asking prices, but even according to NADA the average retail for a used 2009 Fit is greater than the cost of new.

Since the 2011s all have VDS & traction control standard, it seems stupid to even consider a used one. So at this point, I am anticipating going to the dealer to order a new Fit Base in Celestial Blue. Am I missing something here? :confuse:
  • iwls01iwls01 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the same boat - also looking for a 2011 Fit Base AT in the Seattle area, I'm flexible on colors, and sure don't want to pay MSRP... what are our options?
    edited May 2011
    As best I can tell there are no Base Fits within 150 miles of Seattle. Dealers don't seem to know when they will get more stock. Best I can tell you will be hard put to get a Fit at MSRP let alone less.
    So, options are limited:
    1. Wait till the market adjusts downward
    2. Go for a different car
    3. Pay an exhorbinant, premium price for a Fit, basically bashing the low ownership cost of the vehicle.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    You might also consider the Insight, which appears to be a slightly larger version of the Fit.
    Thanks for the suggestion Plekto.
    Assuming you are talking about the 2011 Insight Hybrid hatchback, I don't find it larger than the Fit in terms of passanger or cargo volume. I have looked at ( I like the look) & driven the Insight; here is what I found. The Insight is a hybrid that will better the Fit by 10-20% mpg, but is a small, streamlined hatchback is no match for Fit in terms of versatiity - if one needs or wants hauling space.
    On the road the Insight was OK, but not inspiring in any way. For my short legged physic, I found that the front of the seat bottom put excess pressure on my thighs so I couldn't drive it comfortably - deal breaker.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    edited May 2011
    Well, if you want a better version of the Fit, there are other options out there. The problem in my mind with the Fit is that while it's cute and all of that, it tries too hard to be a micro-van. Yet, the rear hatch opening is much smaller than the loading floor/cargo area. It really doesn't work very well for actually carrying things. Case in point - you can't fit a 30X30 box through the opening. The rear seats are nice, but it's all a bit too basic for the price. I think Honda is simply charging 2K more because they feel that they can. There should be a few more options such as leather if you really want it and so on. Maybe a premium sound kit for the extra money.

But most things that have good cargo area end with "lander" and so on and have massive tires and 4WD. And about 18mpg...

- The Matrix is a good choice. The interior is as plastic as a tupperware party. But it is a good alternative. You can get a Matrix for less than a Fit.(truecar or similar) There's no question that the Matrix is a better and more solid car. It's not a fast seller and so you can get them for far less than MSRP now. The manual is better, of course, giving you better MPG and performance in traffic. Toyota makes superb manual transmissions as well. Pretty much on par with Honda, IME.

The Fit's problem area is the rear bottom sil is extremely rounded and that gives you geometry that won't actually "fit" a 30x30 box. I mention this as it's a fairly standard size for shipping and a lot of furniture from IKEA and similar places comes with that as a pretty normal dimension on one side. The Matrix has no such issue by comparison. So lots of cargo can actually slide in instead of having to be angled and arranged. Also, carpet sucks for cargo - the Matrix has the right idea for actually hauling stuff around.

**Stuff to avoid**
    - The Kia Shoe (I mean Soul) is right out, as is the Puke (I mean Juke), just because it's also just too ugly to actually say "I own this!" to your neighbors. There's more pride in owning a panel van than in a Juke. At least you can lie and say "It's for work" or "It's made in the U.S.A." or something... And the Cube, well, you might as well get the original cube - an Element. At least that thing's somewhat useful despite being completely retarded looking.

- VW makes great hatchbacks and wagons. But reliability is poor. Pass. Shame, too, since their TDIs do get great fuel economy.

**alternatives to consider**
    A small SUV if it got high enough MPG might also work. But most are frightfully expensive. (RAV4 for example) Two come to mind, though, because they are cheap, and that is good.

- The Equinox gets 22/32 mpg, which is pretty high for a small SUV. It can carry a lot of cargo and people and isn't actually a bad vehicle. You can get a CPO base model for about 16-18K a year or two old, and even in base trim, it's far nicer than the Fit inside. CPO and GM is a match made in heaven as you let some other sucker eat the depreciation and often you can get a lot of nice trim items thrown in as well. GM makes very nice interiors I have to admit.

- The other one that I recommend even more, though, is a bit out of left field for many. It's the Jeep Patriot. It has fantastic interior space and feels like an up-sized Fit in many ways (ie - basic box to get around in with lots of glass and space for the money). The only potential gremlin in the mix is that you absolutely must buy it with manual as Chrysler makes decent manuals but their automatics, especially their CVTs, are hopeless.

23/29 mpg is pretty decent. With manual, you can get over 30mpg quite easily on the highway. And of course, you also can get a 2WD base model about 15-16K with decent options added. Cheap and tough and hauls a lot of stuff around. Also doesn't look like everyone else's jellybean. The rear seats also recline and the interior is at least as nice as the Fit's(seats are more comfortable for sure). It impressed me. And then I saw the stupidly low prices they are selling for. We're talking almost Yaris cheap for a base model, especially at the end of the year.

Truecar has one listed near me with nothing but AC (kind of required, ya?) for $15,300. Jeep is running $1500 in rebates until the end of the month - but they get better when the new models come in. Compared to a base Fit, it's a pretty close call in terms of what it has and doesn't have. Of course, you can load it up, but your best bet is to keep it as bare as possible to save money.

The 3-4K difference in cost buys at least the first two years fuel (lower insurance and interest paid on the loan as well as tax and license as well - it's closer to 5K out the door less money. Or about 32K miles in your tank, even at today's silly prices.

4x4 might be a good option, though - for $18K, it'd be much better in cold weather. (it actually can do off-roading with the manual and 4x4 unlike most SUVs) (18K with a/c,side airbags, 4wd, and the interior/power group)

$18K for this or almost $18K for a Fit... Just saying...

At least you're getting what you're paying for, and $18K for a Fit by the time you deal with dealer gouging does beg the question why not get a better vehicle for $20-25K? If economy is your real goal, the Fit is just too close to the price of a good midsize sedan, let alone something like a base Mustang. Base model is $22K(Truecar). It gets 30mpg highway and has 300hp. Worth $4K more? Well, DUH. And that's before year-end rebates come rolling around and make it closer to $20K.

Cheap family and cargo hauler? Patriot.

More money? Matrix or maybe a small SUV. Or a much better car and forget the cargo area. Honda's loosing sales at this point as they've raised their price over the years (base was $13850, now $15850) and the dealers are still asking MSRP.

Note- I do like the Fit, but paying MSRP or more on a car that came out five years ago just simply turns me off.
    edited May 2011
    iwls01: I finally found a 2011 Base Fit (last one in W WA I believe) that the dealer was were asking $2,400 over MSRP. I swallowed my pride & paid $1,400 over MSRP (something I swore I would never due). :sick: In retrospect, truth be known, I lost my head on this deal after hearing that new Fits may not arrive in the U S for another 6 months or more -- time will tell. So our family has its eighth Honda & I console my bruised ego saying over 5-10 years, it won't be a big deal.

The only Fit 2009 & newer that I could find that less than 17,900 was a private party 09 Sport on Whidbey Island with Nav, TC, VSC & AT with 27K miles for 16,600. Sounded good, but my wife quickly quashed any ideas of purchase when she saw that it was purple. If you don't mind purple, it sounds like a "great buy" in today's market. look it up on craigslist
  • iwls01iwls01 Member Posts: 2
    Congratulations on your new Fit, 204meca! I've been calling around and south tacoma, bellingham and everett dealers are all telling me that they have the "only" base Fit in WA. Did you happen to grab the car from one of those dealers?

I'll take my chances and wait for the new base to come in, hopefully in a couple months or so. Thanks for sharing the info, enjoy your new car!
  • sisoldiersisoldier Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2010 FIT Sport AT with 8,000 miles for 18,2xx OTD memorial day weekend. Like you said a new one would have been nice but they add on between $600-$1500 in stupid add ons. A new one would have cost me almost $2,300 more. They're are no base FITs in Houston(only 1 at David McCall Honda and its manual) but there is plenty of sport models. Sterling McCall has the least amount of add ons on their vehicles and they're great to deal with. This is my second Honda purchased through them.
  • oaktosfoaktosf Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks -- I'm in the SF Bay Area and I'm about to buy a new base Fit. I have quotes from several different places (though after giving me quotes, several places have told me they don't have anything in stock!). But evidently, there is one coming in two weeks from now at this price:

New 2011 Fit Hatchback Automatic--------$16,488.00 (destination charge included)
    Delivery Charge---------------------------------$95.00
    Sales Tax -----------------$1,622.21
    DMV Fees-------------------------------------$325.75
    Document Fee-----------------------------------$55.00

Total OTD----------------------------------$18,585.96

I have asked them to deliver the car, so I don't need to travel and go into the lion's den. Anything I can do better on? This is the lowest price I can find so far.

Thanks!
  • travelerx12travelerx12 Member Posts: 3
    A bit of a background first. My very old Tercel broke down so basically been using bus for a couple of weeks while I researched the best one for my buck. So... I needed a car badly enough and I am happy w/my purchase so far. Didn't try to negotiate much since this car was one of the two left on the lot. The other dealers in the area gave higher quotes or were out of stock.

Sale price - 17600
    Freight - 750
    Tax, fee & tags - 1417
    GAP coverage (I was not sure about this but figured might need it plus got .5% lower interest) - 699

Total = $20,466

Thanks!
    Basically you are paying MSRP. Based practically no base fts in the market in W WA & uncetainty when they will be available, that sound like a deal in todays market. Wish I could have found one at that price.
    I basically did my research via internet & found none in W WA at the time. The one I found in Skagit County was on the lot that I discovered in a drive by, not on the internet. Perhaps I miss some others on lots by not callng.
  • brossardbrossard Member Posts: 2
    Gap coverage is usually not needed unless your down payment is low/none. If you put at least $4000 down, paying for gap coverage is a waste of money.

I also find any additional warranty package a complete ripoff. They would say you get 7 years of coverage but it only means an additional 4 years as your warranty covers 3 years already.

Also, most auto insurers, such as Geico, offers mechanical coverage for new vehicle for a fraction of the price, plus you can elect coverage up to 15 months after you have purchased your new vehicle.

Don't be a sucker buying all these Gap or extra warranty coverage, you are throwing away thousands of dollars to the dealers.
  • sellmeodysseysellmeodyssey Member Posts: 3
    Cincinnati Area

Fit Sport 18200 + doc fee + tax + title = 19600. Good deal?
  • willypakwillypak Member Posts: 2
    My gf is from WA ( everett) area too. We have been spending a lot of time quoting around and get frustrated ( my gf wanna get a 2011 sport orange/blue AT) from 2000 over MSRP quote from dealers all around.

At last, I just tell her to come down to Bay Area, CA this july 4th weekend. Get the car and we will bring this new car to a road trip back to WA.

From the quote I get from South Bay dealers, at least they are MSRP/slightly lower than MSRP. GOnna do it this weekend, wish us luck
  • oaktosfoaktosf Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to follow up and say that I bought a base auto Fit this past weekend for $18337 OTD with delivery included. Very happy!
  • exbauerexbauer Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2011
    I have been doing some looking and talked a dealer down to $17,000 for a used 2011 Honda Fit Sport Navi with 2,000 miles. It would be $18,400 with taxes (7%) and fees. It is in excellent condition and was traded in to get something else at his dealer. What do you think about this?
  • travelerx12travelerx12 Member Posts: 3
    I think thats definitely worth it if the car runs well and all. I got mine a month ago and its fantastic so far. Just not too good on freeways on long trips. Other than that, great commuter car.
  • exbauerexbauer Member Posts: 29
    I found a private party selling a 2011 Fit Sport auto with 2,000 miles for $15,700. It is Milano Red. But, I would pay a lot less in taxes. Don't care for the color though. The nav I don't really care for since there is no bluetooth or back up camera.
  • willypakwillypak Member Posts: 2
    So we bought an orange fit auto sport. They wouldn't decrease the MSRP and all I did is just to decrease the " option" cost. Finally cost is 20850 with everything included.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Are you looking to buy a compact or sub-compact car, but you’re waiting for a better deal? Or are you looking trying to sell a used car and you’re seeing that prices are (or aren’t) going down? A reporter is interested in talking with you. Please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, July 13, 2011.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mmay1mmay1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Base automatic Fit in April for $14,500 including destination and all other dealer fees and I got them to throw in floor mats (which are not standard in the Base model.) I got a new one, in the color I wanted. The financing was at .9% so we took it too... I have Edmunds to thank for this great deal, btw... the dealers in my area (Boston) were bid against each other and I just took the best one...
  • mmay1mmay1 Member Posts: 2
    I paid $14,500 including all fees (not taxes) and got mats thrown in... so I think you could do better... I got my desired light blue too... and .9% financing.
  • dinhhdinhh Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a Honda Fit AT with Nav option in Northern VA. I am so surprised that many dealers provided quotes either close or equal to MRSP ($19240 not included freight). There was no quote near the invoice price. When I bought my Honda Odyssey four years ago, i got a lot better deal $500 below invoice. No one would think with this economy, the car price keep increasing and dealers seem not want to back down on their profit.
    Any ideas for a reasonable offer that I should make? thanks.

HD
  • fitfreak1fitfreak1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 New Honda Fit Base AT in Crystal Black Pearl color with dealer additions (Splash Guards, All Weather Floor Mats, Carbon Tint, Pin stripes, Carbon Fiber B-Pillar Trim) for $17,800 OTD price in Dallas. I tried to negotiate with other dealers in the area for a better price but no body else could even match the price he quoted. I just went in and bought it with no hassle as the deal was already made through emails. It just took 1 hour and 30 mins to complete the paperwork and come out of the dealership with car keys. I really dont need any of the dealer additions, but the car came with those, so dealer cant remove them. Just wanted to share with you all.
  • prsiiprsii Member Posts: 15
    $16,282 before Tax, Tag, and Doc fees
  • oman1oman1 Member Posts: 1
    When I bought my last Fit Sport Auto in 2006 I bought no options and basically got the MSRP. I just went into a dealer in the Dallas area expecting to do a quick test drive and then order another one, paying MSRP. The guy basically said all of them would have some standard options and jacked the price up about 2K. Is this just typical bs that I need to call him on or are many of the dealers doing this?
  • 95cabrio95cabrio Member Posts: 1
    What dealership? Thanks,
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who has recently traded down from a midsize to a small car, or who recently bought a compact car after shopping both midsize and compacts. Please e-mail pr@edmunds.com with a daytime phone contact and a brief description of your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• m3speedym3speedy Member Posts: 1
    did you trade a car in?
  • c00lguy20c00lguy20 Member Posts: 1
    Checked out a '12 sport today. Car salesman are such lying scum. They just make stuff up as they go along and some of it is such obvious lies it is laughable. The sad part is my salesman looked less shady than most of the others.
    The dealer puts a "phantom footprint" on every car and they charge $260 or so and if your car gets stolen and totaled you get $5000 towards a new car at that dealership. Total scam. Well he insists they have to charge for it and "reduced" the price by $200 or so. Cost of the car including the phantom footprint ripoff quoted at 18,460 which happens to be the sticker price. No bargain there. They want $75 for the "optional" dealer fee which he insists is not optional, and here's the kicker, he said the registration fee would be about $149, and when I pressed him on the exact amount he PRETENDED to call someone (think GlennGarry Glenn Ross) and said it was actually $198. Total BS, actual title and registration should be about $115. The NYS attorney general has actually gone after dealerships for overcharging for the registration fee yet they still continue to try this trick.
    So right now I'm at
    Car + phantom footprint:$18460
    $10 inspection
    $12 some kind of tire charge
    $75 "optional" dealer fee
    $198 registration (I'm definitely going to get this lowered, hopefully to $115)
    Plus sales tax which the salesman computed on the $18460 only, but I'm sure it will be applied to more than that.
    I have some more haggling to do, but I don't really have much wiggle room, as the fit does not seem to be a car dealers stock a lot of.
    I plan to get the rubber mats and cargo area mat but can find them much cheaper from a dealer online. $89 for the mats and $69 for the cargo mat, way cheaper than the dealer. The floor model had rubber mats and cargo mat and wheel locks for something like $350. Total ripoff!
  • rheannderthalrheannderthal Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my turquoise automatic base fit in orlando florida. we got the dealer a low as it seemed he would go at 16,600. had a trade in and paid cash for the rest. so after fees and taxes ended up around 18,000 and change, plus a few free oil changes. more then I wanted to pay but compared to the other cars on the market this had the best of everything I wanted. I look at the Toyota Accent which was around the same price and although it claimed to have better fuel milage the base model didn't even have air conditioning!! In florida AC is a must! do far very happy with my fit!
  • mclarrymclarry Member Posts: 21
    otd was 20,330 but that is with a power sunroof installed. without the sunroof 19300. they may have padded some profit into that sunroof.

16,599 for the car then all the fees.. destination, doc etc. plus tax here is 9.25%.
    Did you recently purchase a compact or subcompact at least in part because it had very good fuel efficiency as gas prices continue to climb? A reporter is interested in speaking with you. Please send a brief description of your experience and contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, February 29, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• norcal10norcal10 Member Posts: 1
    otd: $17,701 no other options except automatic transmission.
  • lostwafflelostwaffle Member Posts: 1
    19,100 before taxes and doc fee. Purchased in northern california