Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• seattlewaseattlewa Member Posts: 5
    During the first week of May, at a dealership near Seattle, I signed an order request and made a deposit on a base Fit, automatic transmission, lunar mist metallic, beige interior. As of today, no build date has been set.

If anyone else from Washington has bought a Fit, or is waiting on an order, I'd appreciate knowing how your buying experience has been.

For those of you who are Honda sales reps, I'd like to know how Honda decides when to build particular models and exterior/interior colors. Also, what factors are involved in Honda deciding whether a dealer's order is to be filled, and if an order is to be filled, what determines when a particular dealer will be provided a build date? Thanks.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Go back and read post #384, this should explain to you Honda's allocation policy to the dealerships.

The dealer is provided a build date after their allocation has been sent back and received by Honda, the overall timeframe from allocation to Honda's acceptance to setting a build date is about 10-14 days. Honda will sometines accept a certain car on your alloocation and not provide a build date for a couple of weeks....the IF there aren't enough of that particular color/vehicle being ordered for that allocation, they can and will cancell or defer the vehicle. Honda builds their cars in groups...silvers in one group, reds in another, blacks in another etc.

We had a Taffeta White Civic Sedan, manual Navi on order for two allocations (4months) before Honda filled that order. Allocatiuons are for 60 days hence, so that customer waited for almost 6 months for their car.
  • sozekizersozekizer Member Posts: 8
    This is what I got from Bankston Honda in the Dallas/Ft Worth area:
    07 fit sport manual
    price for the car = 15720.00 (includes the $550 destination fee)
    tax = 6.25% + .2% (the same % all across the state of Texas)
    title/license= about $185
    The only accessory i'm truly interested in is the ipod link and that should add another 200 to the price for the car.

Anyone in the D/FW area get better quotes?
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    I've got a friend down in Southern California who wants to order a Fit, *not* in black. Apparently this is nearly impossible.

All the dealer-bought Fits are coming in Black, and all the non-Black ones are pre-sold.

He's likely going to get a Matrix instead.
  • seattlewaseattlewa Member Posts: 5
    Reading post #384 and your additional explanation in post #467 gave me a much clearer understanding of the order process. Thank you.

I signed an agreement that will be void if the Fit model that I requested cannot be delivered within 180 days from the date that the agreement was signed. One concern I had was whether I might not receive a Fit within 6 months, and from what you have explained that could happen.

Also, I've read that the number of units of the Fit sold in April was 3,792 and the number sold in May was 5,248. Is it 40,000 units of the 2007 models of the Fit and Fit Sport that Honda is manufacturing for sale?
  • 3geezy3geezy Member Posts: 2
    It took a while and I'll keep it brief. First attempt at walking in
    Honda West they wanted $19,300 and I was paying cash! I left and received
    several phone calls that got it down to $18,300, what a rip off. I
    logged into Autobytel and hooked up with the internet manager (at three
    local dealers) and got a firm quote online and walked into Honda West and
    dealt with the internet guy. No haggling, no 4 squares...lesson learned, use
    the Internet to shop. This forum really helped me get my price.

$15,200.00
    $616.25 (dealer fees: fee $399, vehicle theft registration $189, Nevada
    Title $28.25)
    $1,225.75 Nevada Sales Tax
    ------------------------------
    $17,042.00 out the Door Price (base model)

P.S. Base model CD doesn't play mp3's what a rip off, I didn't know they still made CD players that didn't play mp3's...its available on the sport, but not the base....go figure
  • chuck12chuck12 Member Posts: 13
    I bought my Blue Sport A/T for sticker, no options or add-ons at Bankston Honda. They treated me fairly and I could not find availability or a better deal on price at the other 2 dealers I could get to return my e-mails to the internet managers. This was back in mid May; I don't know if availability has improved.
  • lb831lb831 Member Posts: 1
    I have tried twice now to get below 16,520 for my Fit Sport and no dealer is budging. They keep using the excuse that it's such a popular car. Has anyone had luck with getting a good chunk of change off their Fit and any pointers you can offer me so I can too? Thanks! (PS-I live in California, so it might be a bit different market out here).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Versa is available now in at least some markets. So go for a test drive as soon as you can so you can tell the Honda salesperson, "You know, I drove the Versa and it's an alternative for me to the Fit, and priced $XXXX lower. But I'd like to get the Fit if the price is reasonable." ;)
  • steveskyrmsteveskyrm Member Posts: 7
    Well, FINALLY got my money back. After 3 weeks of empty promises, and no calls from the dealer (Ganley Honda in Cleveland), we faxed a 2 page letter to the owner of the dealership. Next day, $500 check for us. Called Jay Honda in Bedford Ohio, and they have one coming in the next few weeks. It is ours. :)

Thanks for all the help!

Steve
  • jimmy5150jimmy5150 Member Posts: 30
    Here's the breakdown.

Full MSRP - 16,520

Dealer Add-On's:

Interior and Exterior Warranty
    Pin Stripe
    All Weather Mats
    Locking Nuts for the Wheels
    Cargo Mat

Total $1500

First negotiation....dropped $500 of the "Dealer Add On's"

2nd negotiation....dropped the add on's down to $599.

Upon completion of the deal, they informed him, just then, that the Interior and Exterior warranty was not part of the $599 deal.

Also the finance rate creeped from 6.5% to 6.9%....his credit score is 780.

So $600 gets up rubber mats, wheel locks, pinstrip and a cargo mat....and nearly a half a point increase in his APR.

Hagerstown Honda....70 miles north of Washington DC.
  • johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    ... probably shouldn't have taken the deal. But I guess its just going to be this way, until supply catches up with demand. :(
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Well, my other half has finally given in, and decided she wants to sell her 2002 Civic LX and get herself a Fit Sport Auto. Not only is it the same model as mine, but she wants it in the same color, too! :surprise: My dealer has another Vivid Blue Auto Sport coming in, that was built on the 30th of June... so the arrival should be mid to late July.

We took her car to CarMax, to see what the low-end number would be, if her Fit comes in before we can sell it ourselves. She's pushing 74k miles, so they offered $7500 for it (right in KBB's range). Not awful, but we should be able to sell it for more.

Here's to getting back in line! :shades:
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    Congrat's!! :) That's good to hear - she must really be happy with yours. What is it about the Fit that made her decide to give up the Civic?

My dealer called yesterday to tell me my Storm Silver Sport w/ AT has arrived in CA and will be arriving in town by the end of the week (AZ). I've been waiting (semi-patiently) since 24 Apr - I just sold my truck so there's an empty space in the garage all ready!! :shades:
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    We just sold our Expedition so we also have an open spot in the garage waiting for the Red Sport AT that will arrive in August :)

Very glad to be rid of the Ford. :D

Bubba
    "We just sold our Expedition so we also have an open spot in the garage..."

Expedition? You could "fit" 2 or 3 new Fit's in there now! ;)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The same model and color? Won't that be a little confusing? Might need to get some of those vanity plates: "HIS FIT" and "HER FIT" (or maybe "MS FIT". :)
    Luckily, I already have vanity plates (PRFCT FT), and she already has plates reserved (AZULITO), so that will help. My tint has a more mirrored effect to it than hers will, so I'm hoping a quick glance will allow us to discern between the two.
  • fitchgrrlfitchgrrl Member Posts: 21
    Congrats!

I picked up my Fit Sport AT also in vivid blue (I love the colour)yesterday. Can't stop driving it...absolutely love it! Was driving home from work today and looked in my rear view window and had to do a double take as I saw another Fit in the same blue.
    These cars are going to be everywhere! :)
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    Maybe one of yours can be the Fit, and the other can be the Jazz? ;)
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    Could you post what dealer and price paid over in that other thread, because I'm curious. I'm also in AZ.
    I ordered it from Chapman in Tucson - it was actually one that was inbound but not yet spoken for.

I'm paying MSRP, $16520, plus $500 for window tint, rear bumper applique, cargo tray, wheel locks, and all season floor mats. I'd like to negotiate with them but hey, we all know that's not possible at this point. :sick:

I should pick it up any day now! :D
  • getnfittywiditgetnfittywidit Member Posts: 50
    dewaltdakota...

mind my asking who your dealer is? I couldn't get Pearson to cooperate on the base without a ton of add-ons, so wound up going to Mechanicsville tho' it was 40 miles outta my way. They were wonderful to deal with.
  • guidedbyvoicesguidedbyvoices Member Posts: 17
    I used this site, got quotes from 4 local dealers here in Houston. Went to the internet sales dept of one I bought a car from a few years ago. I want a Fit Sport A/T, they only had a regular Fit on the lot, so I test drove it and liked it. Put a $500 deposit down, went over the price, color, and extras I wanted (just floor mats & tinting), and should be 6 weeks till it comes in. Here's hoping, since my car is an 11 year old Pontiac with no AC (in Houston) and I'm not sure it'll last that long! So far it's been a smooth process, using the internet dept there was no haggling, I have financing through my credit union, so they didn't push me there, or with extended warranties, etc...
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    that interest rate is too high for someone with a 780 credit rate. i didnt i got a 6.9% on a used chevy tracker a few years ago. my rating was a 782. new cars always get better interest rates. my guess is they are getting something from that higher rate. from what i am reading i dont consider these dealings with honda dealers anything pleasurable. seems like a lot of take it or leave. reminds me of harley davidson's selling tactics. I know a honda saleman, he also sells nissan. he told me to wait for some nissan that is compariable to the honda fit. he said if i wait till they are both in honda might not be so high and mighty.. just a though..

chris
  • vegasresidentvegasresident Member Posts: 22
    Vehicle Theft Registration or VTR is a window etching program that places information on your car that registers it in a large database to reduce car theft problems. The VTR is NOT required by law even if they tell you it is. At the most, in many states law requries that the dealer offers you the VTR service but again the consumer is NOT REQUIRED to accept this option, just like undercoating. Towbin Dodge charges VTR and some dealers do it ahead of time and then try to charge you for it saying it is the law. Tell them you never accepted or requested the VTR service and refuse to pay. Or tell them to order you a car and not etch if if the refuse to remove the VTR fee.

Hope that helps!
  • jimmy5150jimmy5150 Member Posts: 30
    6.9% is high, but I think that capitaloneauto.com is over 6.25 currently.

2 years ago I got 4.1% from a local bank.
  • guidedbyvoicesguidedbyvoices Member Posts: 17
    Yeah, I got a 5.9% rate through my credit union with a score of 650. If you have a credit union, that is the way to go. It was nice for the first time ever be able to buy a car and not worry if I was gonna get reamed on the rate.
    I was able to get 5.59% from Honda Financial Corp. at my dealershp here in VA. New car, 60 month loan, 760 credit score and 10% down got me that rate. The lowest I could find from a bank was 6.3%
    I'm dealing with Pearson, but I was the first in their door back in January, when only the new car manager knew what the Fit was. I was able to lock them in at MSRP, with no extras added. Once they saw what the demand was going to be, they stopped taking deposits, and began to force add-ons to all new cars.

I spent so much time at the dealership between January 20th and when I picked up my car on April 30th, they kinda have a soft spot (or is that a bruise?) for me.

I'm glad you were able to work with the Mechanicsville dealership. Even though we have a "shoe in" at Pearson, we're looking for a backup dealership, just in case something weird comes up with them.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    yeah 6.9% is higher for a credit score like that! Hell i got 4.9% on a kawasaki motorcycle and banks are not interest friendly for motorcycles.. they are considered "toys"..

chris
  • manlokmanlok Member Posts: 11
    I just got my Storm Silver Fit Sport last night and I damn like it!! Here is my buying process (pretty long story, I try to make it short):
    - sent out tons of quote requests through internet to all Honda dealerships in Los Angeles area
    - got a lot of replies, some of them were crap, most of them selling at $1000 higher then sticker price.... about 4 or 5 selling at sticker price
    - so i know the bottomline was buying at sticker price. I sent email to these 4 or 5 dealerships if they had any car on hand
    - got one reply that they would have one middle of this week, so I planned to get there last Sat to put the deposit for the car... but then I got his call that the car was already pre-sold.. I was so disappointed at that moment...
    - I turned to another dealership for which I needed to put $500 in order to be on their waiting list. I went there last Sat to pay for that $500, and the guy told me I may need to wait for more than a month (!!)
    - Got another call from the original dealer at Sat night, saying that the "pre-buyer" provided fraud information so they couldn't process the paperwork... he asked me if I still want the car, of course I said YES!!
    - Finished most of the paperwork in that dealership last Sun, and he told me I will get the car either Wed or Thur this week. I called the other guy I would get the car from another dealer so he could remove my name from the waiting list.
    - Waited for 3 days, no any news. Yesterday got a call from the dealership with my name removed from their waiting list that he had the car now and asked me if I want to get it right the way (!!), he even offered me free wheel locks. So I called the other dealer asking was my car arrived or not, and told them I got a call from another dealership with free wheel lock offering... got his reply in 10 mins that my car was there already and I'd also got free wheel lock from them ^-^
    - so I went there last nite, had test drive, signed the rest paperwork, and drove back my new FIT!!! I love it!!

But one thing I wanna ask is, my interest rate from that Honda Financing is 6.29% with credit score 780. Is the interest rate too high? Can I refinance my car loan?
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I also got 6.29% froM Honda of America, but my score is below the 'excellent' line...low 700's I think.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Good job on getting your Fit quickly!

Hondas rates like all rates are climbing. That being said, yes you can re-fi...there is no penalty for an early payoff.
    They bug me. I first called them in December, week after Xmas!! I work in the Boulders right down the street and had bought my previous car there. They kept saying they'd call me when the darn thing got in and in the meantime delivered brochure after brochure to me at my office. First it was March, then March turned to April (they saw it at the Autoshow), then April turned into May. I visited the dealership nearly 10 times, but wasn't willing to pre-buy it without having at least sat in it. Their first one was pre-sold to you, I presume. Next they pre-sold a silver base...called me in time to come down and take a look at it before the 70 yr. old woman who bought it (salesman told me she paid cash) took delivery. I was NOT allowed to drive it as it was pre-sold. Then came the white sport that they use as a demo. I was allowed to drive it, but NOT allowed to buy it. By late May I was told a Lunar Mist base was on it's way to arrive June 25, but I couldn't pre-buy it...as they would be putting on all the extras. By this time I was pretty sure the Fit was what I wanted so I called all dealerships in VA to see who would pre-sell me one. I called Pearson back and told them Mechanicsville (and Pohanka in Fredericksburg) were both taking deposits and selling at sticker. Plus Mechanicsville had pre-sold the next 8 cars they had coming in up until October. Pearson salesman told me to go and get myself one...b/c they weren't going to do that. I was miffed, to say the least. I seriously have to wonder who's making more money here. The guys willing to pre-sell 8 or 9 cars, or the guys adding on and marking up one FIT at a time. :confuse:
    OK, so my Fit arrived in town! My salesman called and I was set to pick it up today at 5 pm - they were just doing the prep work. :D

Then, back to reality. My salesman called back to tell me the spoiler had been damaged in transit and would require replacement - now I'm waiting 'til Tuesday! :mad: At best!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'd say I'm having a "Fit" but I'm really not!! Did I mention that patience has never been my strong suit?!!

The saga continues...
    I have to agree with you, there. If I'd had to go through what you did, there would have been some choice words spoken, and a walk out the door. I saw the storm silver when they had it up on the rack, installing the mud guards. They were loading it up with extras, setting the bait for the first (sucker?) that was willing to cough up the cash for it. My buyers order locked them in at MSRP, with no add-ons, so there was nothing they could do about mine, when it came in.

Mechanicsville has been very gracious with the info, and simply says you'd have to wait for it to come in (only because the supply chain is out of their control).

We have the deposit for our second Vivid Blue Sport over at Pearson, due to arrive around mid to end of this month. We may, however, go lock in an order with Mechanicsville, just in case Pearson decides to start jerking us around, once the car actually comes in.
    they took your deposit? so they ARE pre-selling you the car? That's not right. They told me they "would not do that." Seems a little unethical to lie to me like that...but we are talking about car salesmen. lol!

Mechanicsville told me they had the next 6 to 8 sold, when I bought mine week of June 16. West Broad, Colonial and Pohanka all came calling that same week trying to sell the 2 or 3 cars they had come in that week as well, the ones they wouldn't pre-sell. Nonsense.
  • fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    Although a hundred miles away from you guys, I have nothing but high praise and accolades for the way I was treated by Checkered Flag in Virginia Beach. A quick, no BS, MSRP transaction on a well prepped Storm Silver MT Sport.
    "they took your deposit?" Yes, and no. They took a credit card number, and lined up three salesmen to tackle the car, when it came in, to slap a "sold" card on it. That doesn't guarantee the car to us, but put us in the position of having three of their guys trying to be first in line to snag it for us.

Buuuuuut ... now, the other half has decided she would REALLY prefer to get the Base instead of the Sport, and would REALLY prefer to get the Lunar Mist, instead of Vivid Blue. So, thanks to your info about Mechanicsville Honda, we've been conversing via email with them about placing an order. They're getting ready to drop July's order in the system, for an August build and September delivery. Since the Civic is running fine and dandy (she just wants a new car), we're going to cancel with Pearson, and get her exactly what she wants, through Mechanicsville.

The way Pearson jerked you around, I'd rather not toss them another bucket of money.
    Thanks for the info about Checkered Flag. They had a Lunar Mist Base Auto listed in inventory (which is now what my other half wants), so I sent them an email early this morning. We'll be in Virginia Beach next weekend, so it would have been great to go down there today to lock in the deal, and pick it up next week (to give them a chance to add keyless entry). They were VERY helpful, courteous, etc., but alas, the Lunar Mist had been sold. The only Fit they have in inventory right now is a Sport Auto in Taffeta White.

They're getting ready to place July's order, and are willing to include our choice of car in their list. The thing is, there's a dealership in town here that is willing to do the same thing (see previous post), so we're going to go with them. :)
  • foster39foster39 Member Posts: 4
    I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been on numerous waiting lists in and around San Francisco for a Fit Sport Manual for almost 2 months now. Since my old 94 chevy car died on me a couple of days ago I was desperate to find one. After calling over 35 Honda dealers in Redding, Sacramento, and near Fresno areas...Honda North in Clovis, CA had a Honda Fit Sport Manual in Black for MSRP. Didn't charge a dollar over like many Honda Dealers in the Bay Area are doing - I don't think they have caught on yet.

My recomendation is to search the dealers that are not located in the cities if you need one...since it is more likely that they will not charge over MSRP. I'm loving it so far! Had to drive almost 200 miles back home last night . Good luck everyone!

And another thing on the interest rate. I was already approved with Capital One Blank Check but Honda actually came back with a better interest rate...comparison shopping is great! I told them if they could beat my rate I would go with them...and they did.

Interest rates are much higher now than 6 months or even a year ago...thanks to the Federal Reserve raising rates...but what are you going to do. I was able to get 7.19...not great but better than Capital One.
  • atl400atl400 Member Posts: 3
    Just test-drove a white Fit Sport w/auto with a Honda dealer located in Marietta, GA (North Atlanta suburb). It is a bit slow, but I’ll be happy if it produces the claimed mileage. When it came time to discuss the numbers the dealer wanted a $500 non-refundable deposit for the August delivery 5 spd I wanted. Then he mentions the price is MSRP + $1000! Similar story with other local dealers. Looks like from the postings here I should be happy if I can find a dealer willing to charge MSRP. But more likely I’ll just move on to something else.
    (I know, I'm replying to my own post, but...)

A million thanks to getnfittywidit, as Mechanicsville Honda took our deposit and wrote up the sales contract... but that was the last pre-order they're going to take on the Fit. It was only because I casually said I was referred to them by Ms. Fitty, that they agreed to take one last order. They stuck by their word, too - MSRP, and no freaky add-ons. We ordered the Base Lunar Mist A/T, and will probably get it in late November. :shades:

You wouldn't know that the same person who owns Mechanicsville Honda owns West Broad Honda, based upon the demeanor of the salesmen. We stopped by West Broad, so I could show my other half what a Base with a beige interior looked like in person (they have a red one on the lot), and was browbeaten by a salesman who kept pushing us to sign on the line right now for their red one. :mad:
  • kingpenguin78kingpenguin78 Member Posts: 5
    Wow, I cannot believe how many people are willing to pay so much over MSRP and still get stiffed elsewhere. Is the market for these things that tight in the US? In Calgary, Alberta Canada I got mine for about $600 UNDER MSRP with floor-mats, chrome exhaust and block-heater thrown in! They had about 10 on the way (unreserved) and I had my choice of any color I wanted. Had the car in under a week.

Is everyone not negotiating with these dealers?
  • mattschechtermattschechter Member Posts: 58
    Yeah, its definitely a different situation here in Southern California... coming away with no markup and no add-ons is a feat worthy of international recognition (okay, maybe its not that big of a deal...). My guess is that cars with good MPG are something of a fashion statement/philosophical statement these days, and this is even more true in trendy SoCal. Canada has always had a high percentage of non-SUV's on the road but in the US smaller vehicles are just starting to make a comeback while supply isn't quite there yet (the dealers have plenty of guzzling trucks though). Increased demand coupled with tight supply yields higher prices/dealer markups/prospective buyers lusting after MSRP. Or at least thats my $0.02
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You do know that the first sign of insanity is relying to yourself? :P ;)
  • gdub4gdub4 Member Posts: 2
    7 1/2 weeks ago my wife and I put down a deposit for a Fit Sport AT. We were told by the salesman that we should have our car within 6 weeks. I have my current car sold now and was just told not to expect to get my Fit until mid September! I am highly agitated and would start my vehicle search again but I don't want to give up my deposit. Besides it just burns me that the dealership could care less because they know that someone else will jump through hoops to get my Fit if I walk. Any suggestions?
  • bluebell2bluebell2 Member Posts: 21
    Was in a similar situation, but we actually had a VIN, delivery date and time when we received a call and were told the car wasn't on the lot to be prepped for delivery. Check in hand and pretty t'd off we spoke to the sales manager. The dealership provided a loaner car until we took delivery of the promised car about 10 days later. It was a very stressful time. We called the dealership everyday to check the progress of our vehicle from the port of entry, across the country to the depot, and to our dealer. Did you ask for a loaner car?
  • intrptrvlrintrptrvlr Member Posts: 1
    It seems there is a four to five month wait for 5-speed Fits. If anyone knows where in the Philadelphia/Baltimore/Washington, DC I can find one to test drive, I'd love to know. No one seems to have any! Many thanks