Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Wow, with that demand I bet I could get a great price on my little used Black Sport 5 spd MT with less than 2,000 miles.
  • mattschechtermattschechter Member Posts: 58
    are you already looking to sell? if so, why?
  • getnfittywiditgetnfittywidit Member Posts: 50
    I know there's a 5 speed Sport here in Richmond. They say it's a demo and not for sale...only to test drive.

Pearson Honda.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    No, just making a comment!
  • gdub4gdub4 Member Posts: 2
    No, I did not ask for a loaner. Even if I did, I would not expect them to comply since we are still two and one half months away from the expected delivery date. My wife laid down the law and sent me to get our deposit back. We'll see what happens. I read that someone else had to file a grievence with Honda corporate before getting it back. If the salesman had just been honest and upfront about the wait, I would not have arranged the sale of my existing car so quickly.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    The white Sport that Pearson had kept as a demo was actually a 5spd automatic. They finally sold it off last week, because it was getting too many miles put on it, and they didn't want to have any questions about its use/abuse. They offered it to us at a discount, but with the ugly pinstriping and all of the other add-ons, it was still over MSRP. Add on top of that that I know how hard it had been driven - I wasn't interested one bit.
  • ptchangptchang Member Posts: 7
    I was in a similar situation where the salesman kept pushing back the expected date once he had my deposit. Would never return my calls nor emails.

I called the president of the dealership to complain. He called me back within 30 minutes of getting off the phone with the president. Cancelled the transaction; I refuse to deal with crooked salesperson.

I will now probably get Mazda3 hatchback when the 2007 model comes out, likely in September. MPG sucks compared to the Fit, but I only drive 6000 miles/year. I drove Mazda Protege in the early 90's and loved it. I am still searching for the driving experience I had with it.

I really wanted a Fit Sport after an extensive research, but the bad experience with the dealers have nudged me away from Honda. At least for a while. :(

Itching to ditch my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - POS. 12.8 MPG!!! :sick:
  • wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    Hey, was wondering why you were going to wait for 07 mazda hatchback as a substitute for Honda Fit. Is there some change in the 07 that makes it more comparable to Fit?

Secondly, why hold Fit responsible for dealer games. Just go to another dealer.
  • fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    If I had been treated like that, I probably would have named the dealer, too.... ;)
  • ptchangptchang Member Posts: 7
    See message 383 in this thread.

Both Mazda3 Hatchback and Honda Fit offer roomy interior/storage with sporty drive. Mazda3 costs a little more, but then again, my motivation for wanting Fit was never because I couldn't afford something else. I thought it was a great car regardless of the cost because of the innovative use of space and the MAGIC SEAT and the great MPG (more for less frequent stops than the actual cost - I only drive 6000 miles/yr because of short commute).

I still think Honda is more reliable than Mazda.

2007 Mazda3 also has AUX input to connect MP3 player among other nice ammenities.

If they release the specs for the next Fit that addresses some of its shortcomings (which I doubt since it's already a 2007 model) before I purchase the Mazda, I might be tempted to wait some more, but as I said, it's unlikely we'll have any info about the next gen Fit before the end of even this calendar year, much less September when the 2007 Mazda3 are supposed to come out.

So long, Fit. Wish I knew you... :(
  • fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    "See message 383 in this thread. "

Indeed!

How shabby. Thanks for the heads up. Ironically, their name came across my computer yesterday when viewing a Chronicle web article. I'm a couple thousand miles away and glad of it!
  • volksheimevolksheime Member Posts: 4
    I paid MSRP for my Storm Silver Sport MT at schlossman's Honda City in West Allis WI. I bought it on 4/26. THere was an extra like $50 dealership fee tacked on, other than TTL. I called every dealership in the state and they were the ONLY ones that had the car I wanted coming in 4 days that wasnt already spoken for. I went down and drove a Base MT for a test drive and put a 100 deposit down for the Sport MT the was on the truck coming to WI. Within a week I had my car - 4 hours after it hit the ground I picked her up! everything went smoothly, except they would only give me half KBB trade in value for my truck- so I just sold it outright. hope this helps.
    Pearson Honda in Richmond, Virginia, has a Vivid Blue Sport A/T that they JUST got in, that we were supposed to get, but decided to order a Lunar Mist Base A/T, instead.

If you're interested, call them NOW, but be warned - while they don't jack up MSRP, they do have mandatory add-ons (which you may or may not want).
  • bargainseekerbargainseeker Member Posts: 18
    I thought our 2007 Honda Fit buying experience in the St. Louis metropolitan area may be helpful to others in the region.

Honda Fits are extremely scarce on dealer lots here. I contacted all of the Honda dealers within 50 miles (MO + IL) and found only one that had a Fit available for a test drive. That was a white/beige AT base model at St. Louis Honda. This Fit was sold but St. Louis Honda had made arrangements with the new owner to keep it temporarily for test driving.

We test drove this vehicle, liked it, and had discussions with a St. Louis Honda salesman on price and availability. We were told that the price would be MSRP plus a $159 paperwork fee. A nonnegotiable $500 deposit would be required to be put on the waiting list. We were told that most if not all of their current allocation had been presold and that it would be November or December before we could get the model and color of our choice (a Fit Sport AT in white/beige).

We had previous good experiences using the Costco and Sam's Club auto buying programs so I tried them next. Costco referred me to a sales representative at Ed Napleton Honda. Sam's Club referred me to the sales manager at Frank Leta Honda. Rather than wait for them to call me, I called them.

The Ed Napleton Honda sales rep told me that Fits were not discounted under the Costco auto program due to short supply (I was not surprised). She told me that they had an unsold Sport AT model in white arriving within a month but that it had a black interior. She tried to talk me out of a beige interior, but since the main reason we chose white was the lighter and cooler interior color, I refused. Later, she called back to tell me that she could get one in white/beige within a month by doing an online trade. I asked her if the online trade was with a different Honda dealer, and she claimed that the car was scheduled to go to another Ed Napleton location near Chicago. After some negotiations on the phone, she agreed to sell us this car for MSRP. She agreed to waive their $99 paperwork fee if we paid highly inflated prices for the two accessories we wanted (carpeted floor mats and rear bumper applique).

I learned from the sales manager at Frank Leta Honda that Fits were not discounted as part of the Sam's Club auto program but that accessories were. He told me that they had an unsold Fit exactly how we wanted it on order that was due within a month. He also checked the network and determined that this vehicle was the only one on order in the MO/IL region that exactly matched our requirements. He was able to tell that no vehicles with this specific configuration were on order at any Ed Napleton locations. He agreed to sell us this vehicle for MSRP plus a $47 paperwork fee plus $106.40 for installed floor mats and $65.30 for installed bumper applique. Since the total cost of this vehicle (including accessories) was less than the quote from Ed Napleton Honda, we agreed to go in. Once there, he referred us to a salesman to write up the order. We were shown the Frank Leta order sheet that listed a white/beige Sport AT Fit with a build date of 7/10/2006. I made clear to the salesman, the sales manager and the business manager that we were not interested in and would not pay for any "dealer pack" items (etching, pinstriping, paint sealant, scotchguarding, rust proofing, extended warranty, roadside assistance, etc.). All of them told us that they would not put any dealer pack items on the car. I negotiated the required deposit down from $500-$1000 to $200 based on a previous bad experience we had with Huey Honda. We signed and received a copy of a sales agreement with a total price of $16,738.70 ($16,520 + $106.40 + $65.30 + $47).

Even though the Fit was not discounted, I feel that the Sam's Club buying program has helped us in three ways: First, I was able to negotiate directly with the sales manager. Second, we got discounted accessories. Third, the dealership knows that we will be reporting our buying experiences back to Sam's Club.

We have been satisfied with Frank Leta Honda so far. I don't feel that the price we got was a great bargain but neither do I feel that we were ripped off. I will be returning to the dealership in a couple of weeks to get an updated sales contract that includes the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The vehicle itself is expected within a month. I will post here what happens. Hopefully, the dealer will continue to be straightforward with us and will not try any funny business.
  • bhodawaybhodaway Member Posts: 5
    Hi there....I haul a pretty large piano keyboard/amp/etc and I wanted to know how long (in feet/inches) it is from the back of the rear seats to the rear hatch. (Of course, when the rear seat is folded down.) Also what are the width measurements w/ the 40/60 splits, etc?

I've gone to several dealers to try and measure myself but the dang car is always sold out!! Thanks so much!
  • nofitformenofitforme Member Posts: 3
    Read #462. That's who I was talking about in my post. They should be ashamed of themselves.
  • hqly2001hqly2001 Member Posts: 92
    I'm looking forawrd to picking up my fit from a dealer who said he was expected to have one in two weeks.. yesterday then via e-mail today.. he said he'll have one monday.. then later today he said it just arrived..
    Supposedly he has one today for pickup tomorrow.. smells fishy...

anyway.. for those who used the sam's club or costco program, do they ask to see proof of membership at purchase?

Autobytel stated that remoted car alarm were standard on the Sport Fit.. can anyone verify? How about floor mats, are any included??

Are wheel locks necessary? will theives target the fit?

well best i could get was msrp-$50 for costco program..
    plus tax and fees a little over 18,000.

Since it smells fishy.. i'll find out more when i call tomorrow AM...
    Costco and Sam's Club dealers are supposed to ask for proof of membership before the sale. In my case they didn't do so, although I was prepared to show it to them. However, I had already entered my membership numbers at Costco and Sam's Club before emails were sent by them to the dealers.

Remote keyless entry with a basic car alarm is standard on the Fit Sport. A more advanced alarm system is available as an option. Floor mats are not included on any Fit. Installation of the factory Honda floor mats is trickier than you might expect -- it involves cutting holes in the carpet.

Wheel locks may be needed if you live or park in a high crime area. Personally, I don't have them and have never needed them. Thieves tend to target common vehicles with high status so that they can easily fence their stolen goods. Since the Fit is neither common nor high status I doubt it would be a particularly attractive target for thieves.
    Well.. went there and since the car came in last night it was no ready to leave the lot. they will prep it and have it ready and will deliver it to me tomorrow. I had to sign all contracts and documents today. Didn't want to do it.. but dind;t want to drive an hour each day tomorrow either.. assure the VIN is correct.. they will deliver tomorrow. Got due bill for delivery and it stated that contract is void if there are any defects when delivered. Has anyone done this before? nor would you do this? I've always paid and got the car the same day..

Was told that they had to run credit check on me no matter if i have finance already or not..
    they gave me a rate .20% more than e-loan but it turned out to be about $15 more a year.. didn;t want to bother having to drive back within 5 days with the e-loan check..

Only dealer around who had a car in stock.. did i do the wrong thing by paying up front?
    When we bought a car through the Costco auto buying program, the dealer played it straight with us. Hopefully, your dealer will do the same with you. They know that you will be reporting your buying experience back to Costco and they probably don't want to lose their membership in the program.

You'll probably be fine. Just say no to any dealer pack items they may try to add at the last minute. If they try it, tell them to take them off if they can but that you are not paying for them regardless. Also, don't accept any changes to the financing terms without comparison shopping for terms and rates.

Meanwhile, don't worry about it. Chances are, everything will go smoothly tomorrow.
    Thanks for the info Bargain..

Well the rate i could've gotten from e-mail was about .20% less.. about 1.50 a month less..
    i didn;t feel like going back and forth.. they were ok.. except they wanted to run my credit check even when i told them i had financing..
    pissed me off... but oh wells.. the finance manager said that there's a provision in the contract that states if he could not find someone to pick up the loan, they can take the car back within 10 days... i have a feeling that he may call me and say something ws wrong and he could only find 7%+ haha.. i will tell him to F*** himself when it happens haha...

so tomorrow i guess i will just test run it when he gets here.. then inspect for scratches etc.. anthing else i will need to do? any advice?

the alarm system that came with the car is really no alarm..
    just a keyless entry car with a chip inside..

Do you know of a good place to get car alarm without them damaging the car in any way? circuit city does alarms?

How about the arm rest.. i read somewhere that people were able to buy them oversea, which were made for the jazz.. any recs? Thanks!
    In addition to test driving it and checking for scratches inside and out, I recommend that you look for paint defects and defects in the glass (e.g., distortion). Also check for defects and stains on the upholstery, carpeting and dashboard. The idea is to find any problems that would be covered under the "normal wear and tear" part of the warranty once you leave the lot.

You could also try everything with a switch or a lever to see if it works. However, such a detailed inspection on a new car with warranty is not nearly as important as it is on a used car sold "as is".

I have not shopped for a Fit alarm system myself, so I don't have any recommendations.

The arm rest I am planning to order is the one from maxdax for $36 + $39 shipping. Since I haven't done so yet, I can't comment on the reliability of the vendor or the quality of the product.

I recommend that you check the Honda Fit Accessories forum for arm rest and alarm information and post further accessory questions there.
    Got it at noon.. everything looked fine. I hope to get 30 mpg.. some people are getting mid-25's..
    I out 81 miles on it and the meter is about 3/4 way from empty. maybe 320? wishful thinking..

Can you confirm the brand of tire you got?
    I got a Dunlop, but they gave me Firestone and Bridgeston warranty pamplet, what brand does dunlop get warrentied under?
    I'm glad it went well at the dealer when you picked up the car. You can't assume that the dealer filled the car to the brim, so don't pay much attention to the mileage you get on your first tank of gas.

Since our Fit hasn't been delivered yet, I can't say what tires it will have. I think the dealer gave you the wrong tire warranty pamphlet.
    ouch... after parking the car today in the garage.. i hear dropping sounds.. like loud water drops.. btu thee's no leak.. could it be the gas tank underneat the car?
    i dunno why it would make such sound..
    it went away after 5 or so minutes.. but annoying...
    i've never had this issue with any car.. but then again i've never had a car where the gas tank is underneath the seat.. any thoughts??
    might it be water dripping of the AC condenser?
    hm.. i checked and no liquid ont he ground..
    i didn;t have the ac on in the mornign either..
    it sounds futher above the tank.. might not be the gas thank.. weird..
  • jesswhite1982jesswhite1982 Member Posts: 9
    Just got my Fit last week, after nearly a month of searching (a friend turned me on to the car when I was looking at Civics). Paid 16,520 (pretty much the standard right now) plus extra for an extended service contract (eh, it was on sale; plus, I'm so paranoid that I feel better with that extra protection) and security guard (which probably wasn't necessary - guess the dealer profited off me for that one! :P).

I was talking to about four dealerships. I preferred one of them (Conicelli in Consohocken, Pa) to the one I went with, but they had a waiting list for the Fit until the fall, and I didn't want to wait that long (I was previously driving my mother's old car, which my dad wanted, since he's retired and can't really afford a monthly car payment). The place I bought my Fit from was much more informal than that dealership, but Conicelli offered better benefits from buying from them (and the saleswoman was so, so sweet). Guess that's why all their Fits were gone :-\

The dealership I went with (Piazza Honda of Drexel Hill in Drexel Hill, Pa) wasn't too horrible. They were very low pressure and low-key, which I liked. My salesman was fairly helpful, though I had to stalk him a lot to get information about whether this Fit existed (it was supposed to be at the dealership by July 2, but it wasn't there until the 13th), especially considering that, when I scheduled my test drive, I was told that the car was available that day. Bah.

The only thing I hated about my buying experience was that it was so hurried. I waited almost a month to get the car, and the whole signing paperwork and getting the car in my hands thing was extremely fast. I think I could have gotten a better deal if I hadn't gone in there after a long day at work, rushing to sign paperwork while trying to process all the information the business manager presented to me. I don't think I got a horrible price, though, especially considering that I'm a young professional with limited (not bad) credit. Wish I could knock a few bucks off my monthly payments, but what can you do, besides refinance later? Next time I buy a car, I won't make the rushing mistake, and I'll have better credit. Plus, this is my first time buying a car, and I went to the dealership by my lonesome and did all my research alone, so considering all that, I came out all right.

Oh, and the dealership still owes me a full tank of gas, because they "forgot" to fill it up before they gave to me, and I had already driven off without noticing the low fuel light. Thank goodness I did! Guess that "low pressure, low-key" approach shows in other ways, heh.

And, as far as specifics, my car's a Vivid Blue Pearl Sport, in automatic. Loving it so far! :)
    congrats.. i just got mines last week too..
    how much did u get ur extended warranty for?
    they said 1400 then 1200 then 1100 then 1000 and i said no no no no.. i heard someone got it for about 700.. he wouldn;t give it to me for that price..
    the finance manager was a big jerk.. oh well.. he ain;t making anythign extra off me..
    i got decent credit.. but the best rate they could give me was 6.20%.. if i had gone to e-loan i could;ve gotten 5.9% i think.. not much difference..
    betcha having fun driving it huh?

sad thing is.. i have a quarter tank from the dealerships original fill up and only have about 200 miles on it..
    i hope i'm not going to only get 23-26 mpg ...
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    perhaps you're new to the board, but NEVER calculate you MPG from the dealer's "full tank". You should have gotten about 35 miles before the needle dropped below the F of 'Full'. They often only fill until the needle hits F, not until the pump shuts off.

Fill up and reset the trip counter, then drive, refill, and divide trip counter by gallons of gas pumped.
    will do that..
    if the tank is 10.3 gallons.. if u top it off does it go pass 10.3? or will ti hit 10.3 with topoff?
    Since the filler neck is pretty long on the Fit (going from the rear quarter-panel to under the front seat), you can actually squeeze in quite a bit more than the stated capacity of the gas tank.

Now, seeing who's going to volunteer to drive until they run out of gas, then let us know how much they can stuff into the car after the fact, is another thing... ;)
    Just to note, you might want to avoid topping off... particularly on hot days. Most gas is stored underground where the temperature is much lower than above ground. Gas at lower temperatures has a higher density and therefore lower volume. You fill your car to the brim with the cooler gas, but once it warms up to ambient temperature it can expand beyond the volumetric capacity of the fuel system... what a mess, not to mention a fire hazard!!
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    Got my me Fit last night, Milano red sport automatic, I paid MSRP, and that took a while, almost every dealer here in Sacramento has these cars marked up $1,000-5,000. One salesman finally called me because he had my name from a provious dealer he worked at in towne, "are you still interested in a FIt at MSRP" was the phone message. I wa there the next morning.....

perfect, no problems, I did not purchase anything but floor matts from them, (no extended warrenty, but they tried), the only problem was how long it took to do the paperwork, about two hours, and we have perfect credit and going through our credit union.
    since u went through your credit union did they still run a credit report/check on u?
    ours did.. they said it was routine that they run it on everyone... even people who pays cash.. baloony to me.. on well maybe it's true? they said everyone runs it now days...
    no matter how u pay...
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I would stop at the automatic shutoff because it's the only way to accurately compare your MPG from tank to tank.

I filled up once 0.1 miles after the fuel light came on, and my tank took 9.3 gallons, IIRC. So to get the full ten gallons out of your tank you'll have to run on E for 30 miles.
    yep....everybody, they want to make sure they have a reason to overcharge you or maby how much to charge you. ha.ha

But I understand that you are allowed a certain number of these inqueries and they don't coun't against your rating.
    well i was fighting them since i heard somewhere that they don;t need to run ur credit if u have financing or cash.. which i agree with..
    actually if they run your credit it will lower ur score, but they ask that if you need to have it run multiple times you should have it done within a week.

i went in unprepared, next tiem i will have e-loan check in hand.. maybe i could;ve gotten a lower rate! how's your A/C? mines ok.. nto super cold.. kinda weak..
    the a/c on my corolla is even cooler.. could it be not enough coolant??
  • jesswhite1982jesswhite1982 Member Posts: 9
    7 year/ 72,000 warranty was $996. Probably a gyp, but they said it was half price. I would have *loved* to get one for $700 bucks - your friend must be a master negotiator (or really, really lucky).

The MPG's are slowly getting better on my car as time goes on. I *still* haven't gotten my dealer's tank of gas; called the salesman today to redeem it, and haven't heard from him. Bah. American Honda called me today for my customer satisfaction survey. Had I known about him not contacting me, I would have given much lower ratings :X
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Nah - they don't have to run anything. They can't, in fact, unless they convince you to let them do so.

The droid is getting pressure from up above to run it to run a counter offer, of course. If you have cash, just politely tell them to stop trying.
    i thought so.. next time i will have a check ready.. i guess it won't hurt even if they run it..
    but they pulled that.. if we can't run ur credit.. i can't sell you the car.. it's our policy that we run everyone's..
    i will maybe pretend to buy a car next time without really wanting to do so and then when we agree on a price.. i will say no to credit check then walk out haha.. let's see how they feel when i call the shot on a car i don't care about..

how are you guy's A/C? strong enough? mines feel pretty weak even at level 3 or 4.. i mean the air isn;t very cold.. just coool... is it cover under warranty?? maybe they didn't put enough coolant?
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    I highly doubt anything would be 'fixed'
    I use recirculate more than fresh - I only use fresh for the first few minutes before the car cools down.
    i doubt it also..

how reliable is the cheapie car alarm that comes with the car? The horn alarm? I would like to avoid getting a more expensive one if this will work fine..
  • iwantafitiwantafit Member Posts: 1
    I've called no fewer than 20 dealerships today (in MA and IN) and no one has any of the Sport MT Fits in stock - but everyone has a different explanation (ranging from "they didn't make enough, you'll never find one, just buy the base model that I so conveniently have right here" to "I can order you one in 4 weeks"). Where are all of the Fits, and how can I get my hands on one/get a straight answer? Has anyone come accross a dealer with the Sport MT in stock (preferably in the Massachusetts area)? :confuse:
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    If you want a manual, I'd expect a wait until approx Xmas (to be realistic).

There literally are none available. I'll be suprised if there are any Fits that are available period (without markups).
  • hondafulhondaful Member Posts: 32
    I just made a deposit on a Fit at my local dealer, after calling all dealers within 25 miles and confirming that there were no Fits available. Honda's web site lists Fits in stock at several of those dealers, but the dealers say that those cars have deposits on them so are not available for test drive. Our family has purchased four of the six Hondas we've owned from our local dealer, and service has been excellent, although the sales experience has ranged from terrible to just good. I'll just grit my teeth through the sales process, because it's the long term relationship with the service department that really matters to me.
    It pays to be friendly with a salesman. He is the one who will call you when a car comes in. Use internet sales, also. The internet guy seems to get the first pick of cars comming in.

AIR. Mine works great here in Sanramento, temperature was 110 yesterday and 109 the day before. Make sure its on recurlate to get the coldest air. There is a chance that the temp control knob is misalinged and will not let you get the coldest air. I read about this on another forum. Not on Hondas but Mazdas, but you never know?????
    is ur A/C super cold or just cool?
    it was about 100+ in concord and berkeley and it felt as if the a/c was just cool.. i put it on full blast but it didn;t cool me down as fast as my corolla or my civic.. maybe it's just me,...
    well u can buy from another dealership and get ur car serviced at this dealership.. as far as i know the warranty will work at any dealership.. and for services.. u pay.. so they shouldn;t be complaining..
    Had first fill up from dealer tank and it took in 9 gallons..
    there were only 240 miles on it.. about 26-27 miles.. not good so far.. sport auto...
    hope to get better.. assuming dealer did not fill up.. if they didn't then it might be a difference of 20-30 additional miles.. so best would've been about 30mpg.. not that great stilll.... oh well....

i drive auto.. and occasionally paddle.. does the paddle help save gas like the manual?