Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• hondafulhondaful Member Posts: 32
    I would buy from another dealership if any of them had a Fit Sport 5AT available in Storm Silver!

I got the same story from all of them: there is a 2 - 3 month wait if you put down a deposit. No cars available for test drive, but deposit will be returned if you don't like it after driving it. The salesman at the local dealership told me that they have orders in for specific models for customers, and also cars for inventory, but it's just a matter of luck as to which colors and models they receive.
  • hondafulhondaful Member Posts: 32
    Sounds like you had a good internet experience, but I can't say I did.

I contacted all the local dealers through Honda's web site. All I got back were form replies; not one of them addressed the specifics that I had filled in on the Honda web site. E-mail follow-up didn't get any better, just boiler-plate notes that showed they had not even bothered to read my message.
  • hqly2001hqly2001 Member Posts: 92
    wow.. i live in california and i thought it would be the most difficult place to get one..
    continue to send e-mail to other dealerships.. i bought mines at a dealership 50 miles away where i went to college..

i sent out e-mails to about 30 places within 80 miles..
    about 5 of them were at msrp but none in stock.. 3 of the 5 offered 100 off msrp if you were a costco member..
    you mjight want to ask if there's a discount for being a costco member or even Sam's club if you have one around..

i was weary about putting a deposit down.. but if they say for sure in 2-4 weeks then go for it.. find a place that has the car but different color and test drive it to make sure ya like it... so when you put the deposit down you can ask them to give you the Vin#.. if they have it coming in they should have vin.. agree on price also... so once it comes in.. it;s ur car.. they won;t be able to sell to someone else or higher the price.. goodluck!
    Which brand gas do you guys find most efficient?

I filled up with chevron and ooouch.. hsighway driving and i'm getting worst mpg than on the dealer tank,,
    at the halfway mark on the dealer tank i was at 152 mpg.. and by E i got 243 total..

on my first fill up i'm at half and am only getting 123.. how could that be??.. it's getting scary now.. i hope i don;t get 200 on a whole tank tanksince it drops much faster once it's at the half point.. i hope to break 200 miles on this tank.. i've been driving conservatively too..
    does california use ethynol in their gas?

ouch!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    filled up with chevron and ooouch.. hsighway driving and i'm getting worst mpg than on the dealer tank,,
    at the halfway mark on the dealer tank i was at 152 mpg.

152 MPG WoW! :surprise:
    miles on the meter i meant..
    i wish i got half of 150 mpg... sheesh...
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    well it was cold, not as cold as when you are moving, but that is a typical expierence on any vehicle I have owned (Toyota Spyder, Sequoia), Cool enough to keep you cool but not cold enough to think about turning it down.

While my internet dealer was helpful, it was an everyday salesman (new to the dealer) who called me and wanted to know if I was still interested.
  • nofitformenofitforme Member Posts: 3
    After I got tricked out of the Fit I placed an order for, and went to the other dealer (they wanted me to buy a $1400 performance package)I gave up getting a Fit. The Mazda 6i (4 cylinder automatic) honestly delivers a little over 30 mpg in combined city/highway driving. It also travels over 500 miles per fillup with its 18 gallon tank. I know it's not like a Fit, but I'm very happy with it.
    Averages 26 on first tank..
    second tank I got 28.. AT sport..
    Still disappointed since I've been driving conservatively each time.. I hope that the switch to Shall gas will give me a little more..
    I hope to break 30 someday.. i drive mostly highway..

I wonder why people say to give it time to break in because I read that others get over 30 to start off.. I mean if i need to wait for the engine to break in.. then why do others get over 30+ right off the bat? Shouldn;t they be getting 20's+ also? Something just isn't right.. i would be happy to get 31 mpg at this moment.. and i do mainly highway driving..
    Averages 26 on first tank..
    second tank I got 28.. AT sport..
    Still disappointed since I've been driving conservatively each time.. I hope that the switch to Shall gas will give me a little more..
    I hope to break 30 someday.. i drive mostly highway..

I wonder why people say to give it time to break in because I read that others get over 30 to start off.. I mean if i need to wait for the engine to break in.. then why do others get over 30+ right off the bat? Shouldn;t they be getting 20's+ also? Something just isn't right.. i would be happy to get 31 mpg at this moment.. and i do mainly highway driving..
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    You can't directly compare your experience to anyone else. Fuel economy is dependant on many factors including driving style, extra weight, temperature, wind, hills, speed, tire pressure, A/C use, etc. Two people could take the very same car on an identical highway route and come up with different mileage figures.

And, yes, everyone's mileage will improve after a lengthy break-in period. Getting upset over fuel economy on just 2 tanks of gas is downright ludicrous.

Give it some time!
    I drive alone, little wind, 65-75 will check pressure a/c on 35% of the time.

My problem is that people are getting 35+ average from the get go and did not have to wait until it breaks in. And there are some that do not get better milage even after their break in. I just don't want to wait until that break-in just to find out that It just improved by 1-2 miles.
    How oudl you explain cases wehre people have 8-10k on it and still get 24-26mpg? Those cars are broken in right?

On my other cars, I've gotten good milage on the get go. And after break in.. milage only improved by 1-2 miles max.
    I guess not all engine are built the same.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    I drive alone, little wind, 65-75 will check pressure a/c on 35% of the time.

I agree -- should be better. There's just so much normal variance in driving conditions and style that can cause one driver to get 28 mpg and another to get 35 mpg.

I would take the car to the dealer to be checked. There may be an initial setting of the engine computer that wasn't performed. I've heard of this on other models where you would disconnect the battery and then reconnect along with a series of specified actions to reset the computer for maximum efficiency.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Honda's Destination fee just went from $550 to $595, as of 8/1/06
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Jerry,

Is there any truth to this Idle Learn Procedure (ILP) business for the FIT or other Hondas? I replaced the battery in our 03 CRV last week. I emailed the service director at First Texas Honda and asked if I should perform the ILP. His response was 'just drive it'. Thanks..........

Regards,
    Bubba
  • ncfmncfm Member Posts: 2
    I've contacted several Dallas area Honda dealerships regarding buying a Honda Fit sport with automatic transmission. The majority I've spoken with or e-mailed have refused to talk price unless I'm sitting in their office (I guess sticker price is a closely held secret). I finally got one of the largest dealers to e-mail me a quote on the car and found they were asking $16,520.00 for a car that carries an MSRP of $15,970.00 (yes I verified the options, there really aren't many available for the fit, and this had none). At least the Scion and Saturn dealers were all willing to commit to selling me a car for sticker price. The Scion Xa for almost 2 grand less than the Honda. Tacking on half-a-grand over MSRP for "hot selling cars" doesn't just turn me off to that particular dealer, it also reflects poorly on the manufacturer. No wonder some of the Korean manufacturers are starting to cut into Honda sales.
  • ncfmncfm Member Posts: 2
    I've tried the internet, and at least here, in Dallas, dealers are unwilling to quote anything unless they have you sitting in teir office. I did get one of the larger dealers to quote me a price on a Fit sport with automatic (with no other options)via edmunds.com. The MSRP for the car (according to Edmunds) was supposed to be $15,970.00, but the dealer quoted $16,520.00. Some of you may really want the car so bad that it's worth an additional $550.00 over sticker. Myself, wanting the car for my college bound daughter, I realized that the dealership "gouging" was essentially the cost of books and supplies or half a semester of a required class. Even though the kid wanted a Honda, both Scion and Saturn are willing to sell me any car for MSRP. Seeing that the Xa is comparable to the Fit, and I can get if for almost 3 grand less than the "hot selling" Fit, the choice is clear. The value of the Fit as an entry level value leader for Honda has been usurped by the dealers. As soon as supply catches up with demand, this might change. But does Honda really want to allow it's dealers to discourage customers from visiting it's showrooms by gouging them?
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    "it also reflects poorly on the manufacturer"

Why/how does an independent dealership charging a premium on a sought after vehicle reflect poorly on the manufacturer?
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Myself, wanting the car for my college bound daughter, I realized that the dealership "gouging" was essentially the cost of books and supplies or half a semester of a required class.

I'd actually suggest an older used car. A 1993 Volvo 240 wagon would be perfect - cheap, relaible, safe, and the last of the 70/80s era cars with DIY serviceability. 1993 they added ABS as standard equipment(optional starting in 1990).

Spend $3-5K on it, and drive it for nearly nothing. Halus more cargo as well and has that retro look, too.

I had a Volvo in college and it was a dream. I spent $500 on two years on it in repairs and drove it to death.

Ebay item # 130010948770 - a good example of what to look for, IMO.
    ncfm,

The MSRP for the Sport AT is $15,970 plus the new shipping charge of $595 equals $16,565. That's rather close to what the big D Honda dealer quoted.

Bubba
    The 550 is destination fee, I think it's standard for all cars unless you can negotiate on lowering the price of the car.
    The destination fee increased to $595 for the FIT effective 8-1-2006.
    *sign*... i never paid msrp.. but with on 40k produced.. i doubt that i wanted to wait 1 year to get one at a discount.. even then.. it might be only a few hundred dollar off.. i figured that i will save 100 in gass a month.. so i will come out ahead in the long run lol..

kinda funny hwo they increased the destination.. set whatever they want..
    Can you take ur care to any honda dealership for warranty service?
    place i got the car said yes.. anywhere...
    I just bought a pressure gauge and will check my tires tonight.. is the wait 2 hrs after last drive for cold pressure?

I also have an 98 Dodge Caravan and a 2005 Civic, any idea what psi they should be at?

Also, i've heard that in the winter you are suppose to inflate them more and deflate during the summer?

Hope all of this will help increase my milage!
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    A couple of us already replied to your message in the other thread...
  • guidedbyvoicesguidedbyvoices Member Posts: 17
    Just got word that my Fit Sport AT I ordered early July was built 7/31 and should be here (Houston) mid month. Seems like a short time to go from japan to Houston, but I'll keep my fingers crossed...
  • jesswhite1982jesswhite1982 Member Posts: 9
    $16,520 is the destination fee + MSRP. No price gouging involved at all. Every car has a destination fee, even the Scions and Saturns, though there's probably more room for negotiation with price with those kinds of cars since they aren't as new or in as much demand.

I considered the xA too, but fell way too much in love with the Fit after I found out I could actually purchase one for myself. I'm sure your daughter will love the xA, though a few of the safety features might be a bit extra. But, the price for a fully loaded xA was still cheaper than the Fit by about a thousand. So, I guess it all depends on how much you're willing to spend and which one your daughter will enjoy the most, after the shopping. Good luck!

If she really wants a Honda, consider a used Civic. Those are pretty reliable, and you'll pay a bit less for a good quality car.
  • pueopueo Member Posts: 6
    Good for you! I've been waiting since mid-April for my Fit base MT and just learned that it was built 7/18. I have the VIN but no ship date yet. I'll wager it takes at least a month for a vehicle to get to Houston from Japan, once it is actually placed on the ship/barge/whatever. I'll be interested to hear if yours gets here first! (I'm up near Austin). My patience is really being tested by this ordeal.
  • tguntgun Member Posts: 20
    I had ordered my Sport M/T in May... it was built end of June, just picked up on 7/31. Mine came by boat to Portland Oregon, then train to Chicago then either train or truck to Minneapolis.

Salesperson told me that the 5 M/T models are in short supply (wonder if Honda's transmission supplier can't keep up with demand??). New M/T orders could take 3-4 months (yikes!).

Hang in there, yours is probably on its way from the land of the rising sun...

Be sure to report on the other thread after you receive it with your first impressions. I really like mine!
    "Salesperson told me that the 5 M/T models are in short supply (wonder if Honda's transmission supplier can't keep up with demand??). New M/T orders could take 3-4 months (yikes!)."

I have a feeling that Honda may have simply underestimated the US demand for the 5MT model for this car. Rather than a shortage of manual transmissions, there might just be a shortage of MT-equipped cars.
    If there are any dealers (or anyone) out there who frequent these discussions and might know, what is the ratio of AT to MT-equipped Fits? ...and what about Civics?
    Thanks!
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    Fits are 85/15
    Even here in Vancouver, where we get approx 100 Fits a month over 9 local dealerships, there aren't a lot of stick Fits around.

Kinda interesting, since I couldn't even test drive one in April since all the ones left unsold were sticks.
  • seattlewaseattlewa Member Posts: 5
    During the first week of May, at a dealership near Seattle, I signed an order request and made a deposit on a base Fit, automatic transmission, lunar mist metallic, beige interior. Today, I received word that the build date is August 31st. The Honda salesman, whom I am dealing with, will contact me in mid-September with any shipping information that he has. :D
  • tabo01tabo01 Member Posts: 6
    Honda Fit is a nice car, but what a rip the dealers are doing.
    If you want one, wait. Holman Honda, in fort Lauderdale, 4 blocks from where I live, wanted total 18000 for a sport fit manual, plus deposit, which didn't count against price.I don't get why Honda advertises a product that they meet demand on.
    It sours people on Honda. Beach Honda had an "online inventory" with no actual cars, virtual cars only.
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Member Posts: 296
    Just a quick FYI about "gouging"... for every car that you have to pay over MSRP for there are far more that you want and can buy at invoice or below...

My guess is, that if Scion or Saturn DID negotiate, you wouldn't be satisfied with MSRP either.

Before you get "turned off" about supply and demand, go pay sticker for an Accord (But why would you do THAT?!?! The demand is low enough to dictate a discount... but you'll gladly snatch that up right?). I'm sure if you did that, they'd sell you a Fit for MSRP as part of the deal.

Sorry for the mini rant, but I find it greatly amusing that the door only swings one way on this subject and that when dealers take advantage of demand it's "gouging" but when push comes to shove on a lower demand vehice, customers will be darned to pay MSRP.

It's a free country, and CUSTOMERS are the ones that drive prices up and down, not dealers. If no one was buying it at over MSRP, they'd have 50 on the ground and the price would go DOWN. If someone is buying at that though (and clearly they are), the perception must be that it's worth it to have it now.

Evidnetly not for you, but that's no reason to get "turned off" just because you can't get what you want, when you want it, for less than it's worth...

T
    The Accord VP and the Sport Fit are virtually identical in trim and features, though the VP has a few items like seat height adjuster and so on.(though no alloy wheels - big deal)

It's a lot more powerful, and the manual transmission is superb.

The base MSRP on the stickshift model is $16,412, but discounts are available($750 where I live) - so the price creeps down to about $16000 after delivery - and it's super-easy to haggle for less as there's zero demand at all for the 2006 models(they never sold anyways) once the 2007s are out in a few weeks. Figure $15,000.

And it whomps on the Fit in normal driving.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Don't know where you are getting your data, but according to Edmunds.com the MSRP of an Accord VP MT is $18,820 and invoice is $17,008. So a price of $15,000, or $2k under invoice, would be pretty incredible.
    "And it whomps on the Fit in normal driving."

Then again, that would depend on what you consider "normal driving". The kind of driving style I prefer for my normal everyday commute or just driving around is probably quite a bit different than yours. Really, the only benefit I could see from the Accord over the Fit *IMO* is the more relaxed engine speed at highway cruising for the 5MT.

The Accord is still a boat compared to the Fit, and despite the more power and higher power-to-weight ratio, you can still feel that extra weight and size. In my "normal driving" I prefer a small, maneuverable car with a firm suspension. Fit delivers...Accord doesn't. So an Accord only "whomps on the Fit" if you like a bigger, cushier ride with limited interior flexibility.
    Don't know where you are getting your data, but according to Edmunds.com the MSRP of an Accord VP MT is $18,820 and invoice is $17,008. So a price of $15,000, or $2k under invoice, would be pretty incredible.

I was quoting without delivery, so with delivery it's $17,000. That's before the $750 rebate and the cars normally went for literally $100 over invoice just to make room on the lot for a LX or EX. So figure $16,500 in a typical scenario.

Cars direct doesn't have a VP link anymore(but certainly will in a few weeks for the 2007s), but last month thay were selling a VP out the door for $15,990 including delivery charges. So knocking $900 off of that for last year's NOT moving, taking up space model is not going to be a problem.

Even at $15,990 it is a better car. The thing bumps and rattles and bounces around on the road much more than an Accord, and it's just the way all small cars are. Not enough weight and too short of a wheelbase. Though I have to give the Fit credit for being a very good small car, quite possibly the best one in its segment. Sure, the Fit turns tighter, but the suspension is very small-car ish and it just isn't an Accord by a long shot. The VP is missing the rear swaybar, but that's a few hundred to install before you take delivery. Add in two aftermarket speaker in the rear(plus in in 2 minutes or less) and you've got a bigger base Civic, or pretty close to it.

Honda just priced the Fit too close to the Accord VP and the Base Civic, IMO.
    ... it just isn't an Accord by a long shot.

Quite true. But that may be exactly the reason most people buy a Fit--it's not an Accord, it's a 5-door hatchback with tons of cargo capacity, easy to drive and park in the city, nimble handling, better fuel economy.

BTW, the MSRP of an Accord VP w/o destination isn't $17,000, it's a bit over $18,000. But that is moot since the destination charge is almost never negotiable.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Back to Fit pricing, please...

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Just got the call. Ordered my Fit July 1, was told it would be 6 weeks. Almost 6 weeks on the nose, got the call it's here and it's ready! Just got the paperwork from my bank, and hopefully will get it all done today. Yee haw!
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Congratulations! What model, transmission and color?
    I got a black Sport Automatic. Just drove it home. Had 3 miles on it at the dealership! Have to go back next week for the mats and tinting, but the guy I worked with knew I needed it badly, with my old car on its last legs. Loved driving it home! I paid MSRP basically, like everyone else, but I left there paying exactly what I was quoted from day 1, 7 weeks ago. Thanks to edmunds here and it's instructions how to use internet depts to buy a car, easiest thing ever. Wondering if I should've done the hondacare thing, but turned it down.
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    Geico has a similar policy, covers mechanical breakdowns as well as the standard accident related expenses. It's 7 year/100,000 mile (More than HondaCare) and was far less than the $1300 I would have paid over the same time for HondaCare. Only for new cars though. Mention it to your insurance provider, they may have something similar.
    Definately. With one engine mount and an O2 sensor running well over $200 each, it's silly not to get it boosted as far as you plan to keep the car.

Gone are the old days of DIY repairs and inexpensive independant garages. Everything costs a fortune today.
  • montognesemontognese Member Posts: 14
    I'm going to sign the paperwork this afternoon to order a Base 5MT in Lunar Mist Metallic. I went with the Base mainly because if I'm getting an economy car I don't want to pay $1300 for unnecessary options (I rarely use cruise and the base audio will be just fine for me) and most importantly because Lunar Mist only comes on the base.

My dealer says a minimum of 4 months. Does this sound reasonable? I'm in Madison and close enough to Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee and other metro areas that I wouldn't mind driving a bit. Should I contact dealers in other areas to see what they have or is it a foregone conclusion that every dealer in the country is out of stock on the Fit?

I'm selling my 2005 Accord EX-L and so getting the Fit in sooner rather than later would be a bonus to me. But I can walk or bike to work, take the bus and use our community car sharing program until it comes in. I just want it now! The payment and poor MPG on the EX-L was just too much with a new house and high gas prices. Plus I was hit 3 times within 3 months of buying it and I just haven't really enjoyed it that much as a result.
    I'll bet the wait is due to the color. are you sold on lunar mist? I originally ordered a red one, since we already ahad a black car, but was told that black could come in within 6 weeks (and it was right at 6 weeks when it came in) and other colors had longer waits.
  • montognesemontognese Member Posts: 14
    I also told them that my secondary choices were Storm Silver and Milano Red, in that order. Per the dealer, apparently they only get allocated 8 Fits between now and November, all of which are spoken for.

2 - Base automatics
    1 - Sport 5 speed manual
    5 - Sport automatics

This seems to me to be a ridiculously low number. They are in the top 15% of volume nationwide Honda dealers so I have no idea why they get such few. He also said only 20% of Fits are Base and only 20% of Base are Manual so the odds appear to be less than stellar through this dealership but I feel like it will be that way at every other dealer I try.
    It doesn't hurt to make a few calls/emails and check with dealers in nearby cities. Some of them might get a bigger allocation of Fits than your dealer in Madison. And you can tell them if someone decides not to take a car they are waiting for, you would like it.

FWIW, a dealer in the Twin Cities, Burnsville Honda, told me a few days ago that there was a five-month wait list for Fits there. They had none in stock.