Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Options
    montognesemontognese Member Posts: 14
    I contacted about 10 other dealers in the Janesville, Milwaukee, Rockford, Chicago and Minneapolis areas. The soonest they could offer is the end of November. Yikes! At least when mine comes in it will still be relatively rare. I guess I have no choice but to go through the local dealer.
  • Options
    jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    I have called every single Honda dealer within a 100 mile radius of Minneapolis-St. Paul. None have any Fit in stock. Amazing. The delivery date for orders/reserves right now ranges from November 2006 to January 2007.

And it's the same system everywhere. You leave a refundable deposit, which gives you the right of first refusal when a vehicle comes in. The deposit ranges from $200 to $500 among the Minnesota Honda dealers.
  • Options
    tpftpf Member Posts: 7
    As others note, the Fit inventory is not necessarily available for sale. I contacted dealers on-line within a 75 mile radius of Philadelphia on a Friday morning. Most responded that no Fits were available. Finally received an email and phone call that a buyer wanted a manual rather than an automatic and a Sport with AT was available. The dealer assured MSRP and requested a credit card deposit. We drove to the dealer and bought the car without a hassle. After the sale, found that a closer dealer had two Fits for sale. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you.
  • Options
    fit4mefit4me Member Posts: 2
    I am supposed to have a Fit on the way. A blue sport with M/T. I was told it was thought to have been made on August 4th. Does anybody know how long it takes to ship it to the states after its been made? Just curious and excited about saving a little gas money after the full size truck is parked for a while. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will see it in a couple of weeks!
  • Options
    fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    Storm Silver MT Sport had a build date of March 15 and out the dealer door in VA on May 2nd, off truck, May 1.

They said six weeks.... it was six weeks.
  • Options
    guidedbyvoicesguidedbyvoices Member Posts: 17
    I live in Houston. Was told mine was built on July 31, picked it up on 8/15.
  • Options
    Well, my wife and I have just left a deposit for a Fit Sport (5AT, silver). The quoted price including destination is $16,520. That's actually $45 less than what should have been, for whatever the reason (MSRP= 15970 + destination= $595 = 16565). Okay, we will take anything off that is given to us.

The quoted OTD cost, including all taxes and fees, is $17,893.50 We are in Minneapolis-St. Paul, by the way. We were told that the delivery would be sometime in December.
  • Options
    tguntgun Member Posts: 20
    Congratulations!

I picked up my blaze orange sport 5 speed manual transmission Fit August 1st from Richfield Bloomington Honda. Very pleasant experience. I made a deposit in May and paid MSRP. They tried the push the inflated rustproofing and undercoating along with a non-Honda extended service plan. I declined on all of that nonsense.

Thus far, I have been very pleased with the Fit. I love the seat flexibility, the economy (have been averaging between 36 and 39 MPG, although I don't know what the automatics typically achieve). It is very comfortable and quiet. Performance is ok, it isn't going to win any races, but that is not why I bought it anyway. I am 42 and have owned an 84 Honda Accord, 83 Civic Wagon, and my wife has an 04 Odyssey (which we love by the way, except for the mileage which is 18-19 in town and 23 on the highway).

I commute from Champlin to Bloomington via 169 and see two other Fits, another blaze orange and a silver as I am driving north on 169 after work.

I bought my Fit floormats on ebay for $80 including delivery which was almost 50% less than what RB Honda wanted. Took me less than 15 minutes to install. Just a suggestion to save you a few $$.

It is really a different car... in that it feels like a bigger car than it really is. It also feels much more secure (probably the additional weight) than the old 80's Civics and Accords. I personally find it a little sluggish off the line compared to my old 84 Accord 5speed manual.

Regardless, I think you and your wife will be very happy with your Christmas present this year.

:)
  • Options
    Hi tgun. Good to hear from a fellow Twin Citian!

We went to Luther Hopkins Honda. Contacted them through the internet first. So far, a very pleasant interaction (and quite a physical setup - like a hotel lobby). I bought my Honda Civic that I drove until 2001 from Richfield-Bloomington Honda. The only reason we went to Hopkins was that they wanted only a $200 deposit versus $500 that was the case with everyone else I had called.

We would not buy floor mats etc. from the dealership, either. There is a Honda parts joint in northern California that I have bought from, and they are offering the Fit mats for $79.44, shipping included, which is the same as your eBay deal.

This Fit, assuming that we do accept the delivery in the end, will be my wife's. She drives up to 150 miles a day to visit her clients and has to carry people and all sorts of crap at times as well, and the Fit is a good "fit" for that. She has a 2000 RAV4 right now, but we were looking for something that gets a better mileage. Her RAV4 is rather underpowered, so I think she will be just fine with the Fit's performance.

We live in West St. Paul, and have seen three Fits around here (red, silver, and orange).

I drove a 1.5L 4WD Fit (don't you wish we could get this trim level in Minnesota?) in Japan for about 12 hours two years ago. So that was enough of a test drive for me to be impressed with this car. My wife hasn't had a chance to drive one (sat in one once), and since this will be her car, the matter is "pending final approval."

I am leaving for Japan on another trip tomorrow, Friday, and my wife wants me to look for a white Fit to give her my impression. She is torn between the silver and white, and we have not seen a single white Fit around. Catalog pics are one thing, as you know. So I am on a mission to visit a Honda dealer over there and to ask to see a Taffeta White Fit. Come to think of it, I don't remember ever seeing a white Fit in Japan, either (and I go there a lot)!

Hopskins Honda said they would order the next batch of Fits during the week of the Labor Day, so my wife will have to decide on the color by then.

Talk to you later! :)
  • Options
    jpr1jpr1 Member Posts: 1
    That's rich! I placed my order w/a $500 deposit for a MT Sport Fit in late April. I was told I might get it by July or August. Of course, I made the mistake of requesting a specific color. Little did I know the that that would prove my undoing. I recently heard from my dealer, Buerkle Honda, Maplewood, MN that my order was NOT in the October allotment. Is it a dart board selection that's used by HONDA to fill these specific FIT orders? Lucky they make a great car, I guess...can't wait!
  • Options
    justinphjustinph Member Posts: 1
    Hooray for twin cities people. I am in minneapolis myself. Have been looking at the fit for a while. Thanks for the heads up on the after market floor mats and such. That'll save me a little bit. I'm planning on making my deposit tomorrow. When I talked to Richfield Bloomington a couple weeks ago, the sales guy said that If I wanted a sport with a manual, I'd get it in March. Can't wait.
  • Options
    countrymomcountrymom Member Posts: 14
    Hello,

What is a good bottom line price to pay for a AT Sport?
    I realize taxes differ, but other than than that ever thing else should be standard, I think???? Is anyone getting good discounts?

Thanks,
    Mimi
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the hardest color is to find? What is the most plentiful?

Thanks,
    Mimi
  • Options
    What color are you waiting on? What is the most desired color folks are looking for? Mimi :)

That's rich! I placed my order w/a $500 deposit for a MT Sport Fit in late April. I was told I might get it by July or August. Of course, I made the mistake of requesting a specific color. Little did I know the that that would prove my undoing. I recently heard from my dealer, Buerkle Honda, Maplewood, MN that my order was NOT in the October allotment. Is it a dart board selection that's used by HONDA to fill these specific FIT orders? Lucky they make a great car, I guess...can't wait!
  • Options
    crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    Silver is generally the easiest. Out of the 8 that my dealership got back in June, 3 were Silver.

Discount? Good luck with that.
  • Options
    We had been calling dealerships within a 50 radius for several weeks. I finally got tired of calling and did not want to put a deposit down because they wouldn't guarantee I'd get it back. I finally decided to wait on the Lord.

Yesterday morning I told my son I was too tied to stay home??? I didn't want to waste my time on the couch... Long story short I called the closest dealership, they had two, white and black. The black was sold. They would have the white one inspected and ready to drive by 11:30. I'm now driving a gas guzzling Pilot and love it except for the gas. They let us drive it for a couple hours. I came home and called my insurance people to see how it rated and it was GREAT! Our 20 yos was crazy about the Fit!!! So we bought it!!! He will be leaving for college in a few days, but not taking the car. I'm hoping to get some good mileage. Settled for a white AT Sport. Did not want to pay for the Sport or AT, but settled.

Not real happy with the dealer ship, feel like I had a really GOOD salesman, if you know what I mean. He talked circles and I think I may of been able to get a little better deal. I paid 17,500 out the door including "FREE" car mats. I didn't really want to buy it but I felt the Lord was leading since they are so hard to find and He put it in front of us. Our son loves the car!!! It's his new dream car?

All in all I like the car, it handles great and is a fun little car.

We had another dealership call us yesterday and today, they have a red Fit they are trying to sell. If you live in the southeast and are looking for a red Fit, let me know and I'll email you the lead.

One question. We were told they just took it off the truck and it had 13 miles on it. The salesman told us that Honda requires the service department to drive each new car 10 miles before they put it on the lot. I've never heard of this. Most of our other cars didn't have that much mileage on them. Any idea what's going on???

Thanks,
    Mimi
    :) car :mad: dealership
  • Options
    wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    I'm going to have to BS on the "Had to drive it for 10 miles before they put it on the lot" comment.

Never heard of that "rule" from Honda.

BTW - did the dealership at least give you a full tank of gas upon delivery?
  • Options
    Yes, we got a full tank of gas... that dealership had a lot of BS. I should of walked when he gave me that line, but I'm a blond :)

It only got worse yesterday. Go to the topic "Dog Eats Car"

I'll have to report all the BS to Honda. I'm sure it probably won't get me anywhere... mimi
  • Options
    sakisaki Member Posts: 6
    Messages in this forum were very helpful in guding us.

We checked three dealers, Honda of Hollywood, Culver City (Miller Honda) and Carson Honda. No one actually had one in stock. Hollywood claimed they had no idea when the next shipment would be; Miller said that their price would be higher than the Internet quote we got from Carson Honda and they'd have to order one anyway.

So we went to Carson, about 25 miles south. Worth it, I think. We're getting the base model MT silver (they could not specify which silver) for $15,095 (includes destination charges, Lojac, free first oil change and filter, full tank of gas. $45 documentation fee, which seemed reasonable. Delivery will be mid-Sept.; we have the VIN number.

All dealers said that MT versions are very rare and don't come along frequently.

We've been driving a 1999 Honda Civic (which we'll trade in) but this will be a good change, I think.
  • Options
    Americans don't get Alabaster Silver, which means it's the Storm Silver.
  • Options
    Good to know. So it's definitely the darker Storm Silver and not Lunar Mist?

I hadn't seen Alabaster Silver listed as a color option.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Lunar Mist is more a bluish tint than silver. It is available in the U.S.
  • Options
    Sorry, completely forgot about Lunar Mist. It's not available in Canada, and is base model only. For some strange reason I thought you were looking at a Sport.

It *might* be a Lunar Mist, which is a pearly light blue more than silver... but I'm betting on Storm Silver.
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    For the North American market, Lunar Mist is US-only and Alabaster Silver is Canada-only.

Storm Silver is available in both countries. My Carspace page has pictures of my Storm Silver Metallic base model, if you are interested.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification. Nice photos. I think I actually prefer the darker Storm Silver, so I'll be happy if that's what I get.
  • Options
    boatfloydboatfloyd Member Posts: 29
    My Fit is a Storm Silver Sport and I like mine.
    boatfloyd :)
    http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc000012007fit6rm.jpg
  • Options
    mjm5mjm5 Member Posts: 1
    This weekend I went to three dealers. I am tired.
    Dealer 1 said sure, we will sell for MSRP. But when we actually get down to brass tacks, he says "oh, but we are putting 3k worth of accessories on every one that comes in." So we walked.
    Dealer 2 says a six month wait. We are carless now so that ain't gonna work either.
    Dealer 3 says 16,290 for the base model. I said I'd look elsewhere, he smugly says "I know the other dealers. The other dealers won't sell it to you for MSRP either." Walked again.

Is there a trick to this? Or is the guy's smug jerkface statement that "that's the price" true?

Reading all the past messsages from everyone who's easily gotten MSRP is frustrating. What do you know that I don't?
  • Options
    suetersueter Member Posts: 15
    Well, I'm in Western Mass and I got mine for MSRP, but that was in April, and I put a deposit down in January. I'm not sure what's happening now, other than I've been getting reports that the wait is so long that some dealers around here have stopped taking deposits.
  • Options
    I know of a dealer in AL that called us 3 times after we bought a white sport at from another dealer. The other dealer had a red sport at that he was selling at msrp? Not sure why it wasn't selling. He called us two days in a row? Kind of strange. mimi
  • Options
    arlesarles Member Posts: 15
    Per an article in today's Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060830/AUTO03/608300309/114- 9/AUTO03): "Honda said last week the Fit is "completely sold out" less than six months after its U.S. introduction, and that typical waiting lists are 45-60 days at many dealers." I put down a deposit in April and received the car a couple weeks later at MSRP. It appears that demand and supply have changed in the meantime.
  • Options
    So we picked ours up today...can't believe it, we just ordered it Sunday. We were told there would likely be a two to three week wait at best. The salesman said he thought it was a joke when the shipper called yesterday to say it would be delivered.

The salesman also mentioned that on the same day we ordered it two other folks called, one from Illinois, one from Washington, begging to buy it.

Dealer fifnished inspection and we went down to pick it up. Beautiful Storm Silver, a color that seems to change slightly depending on how much light is on it:

http://sakionline.net/uploads/fitone.jpg

This is the base model with MT.

My husband drove it home. Handles beautifully on the highway and surface streets. we heard none of the "buzzy" sounds reported at high speeds. Ride was smooth and quiet. Steering and braking is very responsive. Gearing is different from our former Civic and seems a bit racy at times but as we get used to it that'll change. I like the turning radius very much.

Interior is every bit as comfortable as reported; ours has a black interior with grey trim. Radio reception was better than I expected and it pulled in a usually marginal jazz station with a solid lock on the signal.

I can't believe we were able to find one and drive it off the lot in just four days!

Thanks to all here for your recommendations.
  • Options
    Congratulations! Nice car...looks familiar ;)

I completely agree with you on your review about the handling, steering, braking, interior comfort, etc.
    After 4500 miles I have yet to hear this "buzzy" noise that some people (especially automotive writers) are talking about.
    I have even gone as high as 85 mph, and while I can definitely hear the engine, it is completely bearable at those speeds and not too noisy. I usually stay around 70 mph when I can though to keep fuel consumption down.

Only thing I have noticed differently is that the radio reception is not as good as my last car. Of course, my last car had a longer radio antenna, but I was able to pick up a radio station that transmits out of Los Angeles as far south as downtown San Diego. I now lose reception for that station quite a bit farther north.

Anyway, have fun with your car!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently went away from purchasing a Ford and decided on a Toyota, Honda or Nissan vehicle instead. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    Hello all

My wife and I went car shopping for a new car for her (her first!). We had a rather long list to look at: Versa, Fit, Scion Xa, Yaris, Matrix, Focus, etc.

After a week or so of research, we had finally ruled out the Yaris, Matrix, Scion Xa, and the Focus. That left us with the Versa and the Fit.

I am a huge Nissan fan (my last 3 purchases have all been new Nissan trucks (2 Pathfinder's and 1 Xterra) so i initially loved the Versa. After seeing one I liked the exterior but hated the interior.

We hadn't seen the Fit in person until last night, when we happened to stop at a Honda dealer in Victorville, CA. I asked the salesman who came out if they had any Fits...he said that they had just gotten 1 in the previous night on the truck, and that it wasn't spoken for as of yet.

It was a Sport Model (what we wanted) with Automatic Transmission (what we wanted) and was Blaze Orange Metallic (what we wanted). We test drove it (it still had all the plastic on it!) and we ended up buying it on the spot. My wife absolutely loved it! (me too!)

The negotiating was a bit of a pain, but I stood my ground. I initially offered $1k below MSRP but I knew it would get shot down (I wanted to start low and hope to avoid paying over/above MSRP!). As expected. that was shot down pretty quickly. Some more negotiating took place...and yadda yadda...ended up paying full MSRP of $16565 with 2 free oil changes and floor mats ($99 option) thrown in...I also purchased the Honda Care Warranty (72 months/100,000 miles) for $1075, which I hadn't planned on doing...but gave in after negotiating it for about 30 minutes or so. Looking today, i see that i could have purchased it on the internet for about $300 less here: https://www.myhondawarranty.com/index.php

So I'm kicking myself a bit over the $300 :( here this morning.

We pick it up Tuesday, as they still have to PDI (Inspection?) it on Tuesday morning when the Service dept. opens back up from the Holiday.

Did I do good? (except for the warranty!) ?
  • Options
    boatfloydboatfloyd Member Posts: 29
    Your timing was good :).
    boatfloyd :)
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    $1000 for 6 years isn't that bad. A couple of engine mounts or an AC compressor can run $300-$400 easily. And since it's through Honda directly, it's good at any honda dealership.
  • Options
    Extended Warranty

Just an FYI out there to anyone who purchased the Extended Warranty on their new Honda Fit:

If you read the entire sales/loan contract (I think it was on the backside of one of the sheets they gave me) you are able to CANCEL the extended warranty within 60 days from purchase for a FULL refund. After 60 days it will be pro-rated, but you are still able to cancel.

All you have to do is go into the dealer and tell them you want to cancel the extended warranty, you do not even need a reason. You will need to fill out a form and that will be it.

If you fianaced the warranty in with your loan, the refund will be applied to the loan. If you paid cash, you should be able to get a check within a couple months I would imagine. Read your contract fr specifics, it lays it out pretty plain and simple.

I paid $1075 for my 6 year / 100,000 extended warranty ($0 deductible) and today I see that I could have paid ~$700.00 for the same thing on the internet.

So, I am now contemplating canceling the extended warranty and purchasing it elsewhere at this point. Saving $375 sounds pretty good right now! I'm sure the dealer will try to talk me out of it; and maybe they will match the price iif I put up a good fight/negotiation.
  • Options
    bluebell2bluebell2 Member Posts: 21
    Just checked on-line for the cost in my zip code for my new Fit with 6,000 miles. Compared it to the dealer Honda Care package we purchased for $1100 when we picked up the car at the end of May. Looks like the cost on-line is $890, but with a $100 deductible. There must be a real range of packages and options available. Ours includes towing, repairs, rentals, and motel if a breakdown is on the road and the car can't be repaired. This stuff gets messy. :confuse:
  • Options
    I just wanted to also point out that after further reading my Honda care contract...it also states that if you cancel the extended warranty, you cannot re-purchase it.

I didn't see this the first time I read through the contract....my apologies, I really hope I did not mislead anyone whatsoever.

Now, I honestly don't know if they would stop you from purchaing it again if you did indeed for whatever reason cancel it previously, but it does state that you cannot do so. Just be careful.

Guess I'll live with and get over paying a bit more than I probably should have for the warranty...$375 over the course of 6 years isn't really that big of a deal honestly...

Anyways, just wanted to be clear as possible on the Honda Care stuff...don't want anyone here to get burned...

Still waiting to pick up our Fit, probably Wednesday...maybe as late as Saturday :(
  • Options
    fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I cancelled my Executive Coverage when I learned that my insurance had the same coverage for less. Yes, mechanical breakdowns too.

They didn't refund the money, though, but subtracted the amount from my principal, essentially removing a month or so from the payment schedule.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    This is not B.S.

The cars come off the trucks with around 3 miles on them. The tech that does the PDI has to make sure everything is OK so they are required to drive the cars until they have at least ten miles on them.

I don't understand why that would bother anybody?
  • Options
    fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    My car had 4 miles on it, I think, when I got it.
  • Options
    My car had 5 miles on it.
  • Options
    bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    My Fit had 5 miles on it at delivery. 3 when it came off the truck.

Bubba
  • Options
    3 miles when it came off the truck
    6 after my short test-drive
    9 on delivery

100 one day later :)
  • Options
    bluebell2bluebell2 Member Posts: 21
    Any ideas why 2 2007 Fits were available for sale with 3,000 miles on them at an auto mall? Dealer says the cars were used and traded in because the owners where dissatisfied and wanted an Odyssey instead. :confuse: Huh?
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    B.S.

It's 99% likely it's one of the few demonstration models that the dealers originally bought to take test-drives in, due to the initial rarity.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That's easy to verify. Ask the dealer if the car has ever been titled.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    We are required to drive the cars until they have at least 10 miles on them. Someone is shortcutting the PDI's in these cases.
  • Options
    rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi all Honda Fit people. I just had my first test drive in this cool little car on Long Island, NY. The dealer is asking $1000 above MSRP for the Sport or the Base model. I can't see myself paying anything above MSRP but I'm wondering whether this is a common practice with this hot (I assume) little new-comer.
    Thanks,Rich