Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Would Ford Ever sell Lincoln?

2»

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I could see either Andre or Lemko in one of these :shades:

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Oh, absolutely!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    The Genesis of this design appeared in 1997. 14 years later the same 4 speed and 4.6 engine. Whoopeeee! :P
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    At the top of an hour this afternoon, the radio news came on, and I heard that Ford has finalized the decision and that Mercury will be phased out. What will this mean for the Lincoln-Mercury dealers? Will they become Lincoln-Ford dealers? Could the typical L-M dealership get by on Lincoln alone? I really doubt it.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    They'll either make it as Lincoln only (with more products) or they'll combine with Ford dealers or Ford will buy them out.

Lincoln gets 7 new or updated models in 4 years with unique engines and other features.
    With the Automotive magazines harping on the "over priced" nature of Lincoln, I doubt that the division could stand alone for long without Fords in the showroom. :shades:
    They only harp on them being overpriced when they're rebadges like the MkZ and MkX. That will change and while they will share platforms you'll see unique sheetmetal and interiors plus Lincoln exclusive features and powertrains to further differentiate them from the Ford models.

This will show up over the next 4 years as each model is introduced or redesigned.
    I hope you are right!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I am an old Lincoln guy. Bought my first Lincoln in 1990 (A Continental) followed by 3 more Lincolns over the next 13 years. I loved Lincolns. However, I left them because they had nothing to offer in a Sedan anymore, as the LS was too small, and the Townie was too old. Have been driving Lexus since.

I still think fondly of Lincoln, and respect the product they are bringing out as better than they have had for a while, nevertheless, I see them as a Buick competitor now, and really feel they have fallen a notch from where they used to be when they were competing with Cadillac at least. Although Cadillac's new SRX is really a Chevy Equinox under the skin, and of course the Escalade which is a Tahoe, the rest of their lineup is pretty much unique.

I don't think Lincoln can win me back, as much as I'd like to support Ford. They don't have an "outstanding car" for me yet. Hope they will change that.
    They *just* started the Lincoln rebuilding. It might take them longer than 2 weeks to come up with the new stuff!

It sounds like they are now committed to Lincoln and killing Mercury was actually a good sign. I think they'll continue to get better over the next 4 years and hopefully get a new RWD flagship platform in the process.
    edited July 2010
    So Mercury is dead! My daughter recently was negotiating to buy a new Honda CRV so I threw in my 2002 Mountaineer Premier for her to use as a trade in. Then, I bought my daughter's 2007 Grand Cherokee outright from her at retail NADA value, minus the low NADA trade value of the Mountaineer. I'll drive my 2005 Escape and wait for Ford to produce the 2011 Mustang I put on order. My wife will drive the Jeep. And I was actually the original owner of the Jeep, but that is another story. I'll spare you further details... :confuse: (It gets even deeper)
    And it certainly appears that Ford will NOT sell Lincoln!
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    I was relieved to hear Ford is killing Mercury and reviving Lincoln. Ford needs a luxo badge to compete with Cadillac, BMW, Lexus and the likes. What I am reading is Lincoln is going to be coming out with a barrage of new vehicles over the next 3 years. I am confident Lincoln will reclaim its spot in the American Luxury market in the next 5 years. Look how far Cadillac has come..
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    I checked in here about 2 1/2 months too late, and that pic is showing up as a broken link. What was it?

I think the problem with Lincoln these days is that the cars just don't seem that big a step above the Fords they're based on. At the Ford Nationals in Carlisle PA back in June, we test drove a Lincoln. I get my M's mixed up, but at this point I can't remember if it was the Fusion-based model or the Taurus-based model. It was nice, but it just didn't seem all that.

I forget whether it was Grbeck or Lemko who said it, but I remember one of tem summing it up quite nicely... "Lincoln: what a Mercury should be!"

I do still kinda like the Town Car, but I swear it feels like they've cheapened them over the years. I have a friend whose aunt bought a used '95-96 or so a few years back, to replace a mid/late 80's model they had, and it seemed really nice inside. In comparison, the newer ones almost seem like a taxi cab with leather seats.
    As Ford has said repeatedly they had to fix Ford first and then Lincoln. The Lincoln plan has just begun. The new MKX is close except they couldn't change the greenhouse yet. With Ford making $5B in 6 months without the new Fiesta, Focus and Explorer I think they'll be fine. If Lincoln isn't any better in 3 years then they deserve all the criticism. Until then you're just jumping the gun.
This discussion has been closed.