Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 350

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The front crossbar must be placed "just so" to avoid vibration and/or wind noise, easier to just remove the DX%& thing.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    I am having trouble transferring the phone book to my 09 RX350. I can pair and activate both of our phones but whenever I try to transfer the phone book on either phone I am disconnected from the bluetooth connection. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Has anyone purchased this for the front of their vehicle. If so, how muich was the cost?
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Does anyone use 87 octane gas for the 2010 RX?
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Hello, anyone. On Saturday, I received in the mail a Limited Service Campaign in regard to an oil hose replacement on the '07 RX350. It explained that the oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator
    may degrade over time and may cause oil to leak from the VVT-i oil hose producing abnormal engine noise and the oil pressure light to illuminate.

It says that any Lexus dealer will replace the VVT-i oil hose with a newly designed one at no charge to you. This LSC will be offered
    until March 31, 2013.

I'm wondering if this is what happened to some posters a couple of months ago that had some sort of oil line explosion, I think was the term used. I'll be calling Lexus first thing Monday morning to see if I can get my car in before I leave to go out of town for Christmas.
  • leodlionleodlion Member Posts: 7
    Something wrong with your car. Mine does not vibrate. In fact I hardly feel the engine running. I got 1500 miles on it.
  • cwaynecwayne Member Posts: 81
    received a portable gps for christmas. I have the portable dash attachment that sets in the cut out on dash. This works really nice and does not block the windshield. The only downside is the location of power outlets. When not using I take the whole system and put it in the cutout under the gear shift area.
  • marqevansmarqevans Member Posts: 29
    I don;t like having the power cords near the gear shift. Do you have a way of fastening them to the side of the floor console without damaging the surface when you remove them. I have a radar detector to.
    when my gps is not in use and on the floor beween the front leg area the power cord is between the drivers seat and center console. when is use the cord is always in the way, i suppose you could tape it someplace.
  • marqevansmarqevans Member Posts: 29
    For my radar detector, I found some plastic wire clips at Menards. I inserted one on the right side of the plastic screen covering the speedometer then ran the wire down to the side of the floor console and stuck a clip into the seam on the console. then ran the wire along the side and up into the console. I want to get a portable GPS and do the same.
  • rpacrpac Member Posts: 83
    Hello rparis - Thanks for your post. I have owned many RX350's. The 2010 that I bought now has 900 miles on it. I am ready to junk it. The wishbone suspension in the rear has made the car drive like a truck. The ride is horrible, the HVAC buttons on the dash are so small you can hardly see which one's to push. the car, in my opinion is an overpriced cheap disaster compared to earlier models. Hope this helps you in some way. Also see my posts on reflections (a safety factor) on the new RX350. Geez I hate the car! :mad:
    Hi, Guys. I purchased new tires for my '07 RX350 last June, and now, all of a sudden, the tires are getting kind of noisy. They are the Michelins that Lexus recommends for this vehicle, although I purchased them through Tire Rack, and they were put on the vehicle at a Tire Kingdom. I was wondering if anyone with the Michelins has had the sudden noisiness after less than a year of ownership of these tires??
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I had the LTX model for almost 50K w/out any issues on my RX300.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    edited April 2010
    I have been reading all the reviews in Edmonds about the 2010 RX 350 and in general it gets only an 8.2 rating (not low but not what a Lexus should be). When reading all the reviews (abou 102 of then) it makes me wonder if people that buy Lexus expects such high quality that anything below is practcally classified as garbage..some of them are owners of previous RX 350 and they really tear apart the 2010 model or the low ratings are truly due to the poor quality and not just a perception.
    I am contemplating buying one but after reading those reviews I wonder if I should.
    Do any prospective buyers out there feel the same?...are my fears unfounded since we hear from unhappy customers and not really from the happy ones?....are RX 350 sales soft because of public negative reactions?...is that why in some places you can get about $5k off MSRP?.....thanks for sharing any opinions..
    I have owned a 2004, 2006, and a 2010 rx. I loved all three cars

Problems:
    04 and 06: transmission not as smooth as 10
    10: engine noise when engine is cold, placement of 12 volt outlet.
    Hi, SVOfan2. Yes, for those of us who have had the pleasure of driving the previous gen. RX, specifically, the 2007 to 2009 RX350's, I believe we became really "spoiled" with these vehicles.
    For me, those models offered a lot of nice options at a lower price point than the 2010. Now, you have to get a navigation and comfort package at a price increase of 4 to $5,000 more than what I paid for my RX to get back some of the options that I already have. Granted, there are some new things in the 2010 that are very nice, such as the push button start, keyless entry,
    heated and ventilated seats, and even a back-up camera in the premium only model. But my premium only model in the '07 has rain-sensing wipers, illuminated kickplates(which look very nice, by the way!), which you can only get those if you go all the way up to the Luxury package now! My model RX has easy access to the two power plugs as opposed to the difficult-to-access power plugs that are buried deep in the console of the 2010 RX.

Also, my '07 RX has a full-size spare tire, the 2010 does not. Of course, the 2010 does have the iPod aux. ports and such, which I would really like to have right about now. As a consolation, I do have XM Radio in my '07 RX.

I just don't feel that Lexus went quite far enough in really changing the 2010 RX mostly on the interior details. I actually like the exterior a little better than my '07. I was hoping to see things such as a panoramic sunroof, split dual exhaust tips like the rest of the Lexus line-up now has, I think, with the exception of the GX470 and the LX.

Finally, I got to spend a few days in a loaner 2010 RX, and after driving the 2010 and getting back into my '07, I found that at idle the '07 is quieter. I don't even like the exhaust note on the 2010 all that much. It sounds like maybe Lexus tried too hard with trying to make it sound sportier?? I don't know. I will say that the 2010 felt even more responsive than my '07, and my RX is zippy already. I think the tranny is probably smoother shifting just like the above poster stated. Oh, and let's not forget the 400 pound weight gain, and I doubt that the 2010 RX will get as good of gas mileage as the previous gen RX.

Incidentally, my stepdad just purchased a 2010 RX even after I pointed out to him what I thought were its shortcomings. He says he decided to get it because of my positive experience and after riding in my RX a couple of times. He loves his 2010 RX.

I think if you've never owned or driven a previous gen RX, you will probably appreciate what the 2010 offers. It's still a nice car, just not quite what I was hoping for. Again, Lexus spoiled me with the previous gen RX.

I really never thought I'd say this, but the 2010 Cadillac SRX has jumped ahead of the 2010 RX350 for me right now on my list.
    I will know better when I test drive the SRX, which I probably won't do for another couple of months.

Sorry for such a long post, but I've got to say I have had some very mixed emotions about the new RX. Time will tell if it will live up to the expectations of previous Lexus owners.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I had a 99 RX300 and presently a 2007 RX350, both front wheel drive, superb vehicles; no significant complaints whatever. I have most routine service done at a Toyota shop, same parts and expertise at about half the price; but no gourmet breakfast or quick-and-dirty car wash.

Pete :)
    Thank you for your observations, to tell the truth is one of the best crtiques that I have seen, do you think that all those "points" are the reason why the deep discounts of course depending where in the country?.....My wife and I really like the 10 RX350 over the Acura MDX, but I do still have reservations that after spending high bucks we will discover engine noise etc which I would tolerate a bit better on a cheaper car..again thanks a lot for sahring the expiriences..
    edited April 2010
    I actually liked the MDX also, except it doesn't have the rain-sensing wipers available, no push button start and keyless entry, and only comes in AWD, which for me personally, I have no need for AWD since I live in Florida. Other than that, I think it's a great vehicle.

There could be many different reasons for the possible deep discounts being offered on the 2010 RX350. Although I still think the car is selling well, there is more competition out there that is catching up or has caught up to the RX; i.e., the Audi Q5,
    Cadillac SRX, and there's the upcoming refresh of the 2011 Lincoln MKX, to name a few. And, of course, there's the lack of real distinction at least on the exterior(Although I still think the exterior is a little better looking than my '07) and the way Lexus has priced the various packages available on the RX.

It's still a nice car, but there are other very nice crossover SUV's out there now. By the way, I wasn't sure from your previous posts, but have you had a chance to keep a 2010 RX overnight?
    If not, that would be another suggestion I could make for you so that you can spend sometime in the vehicle without a salesman hovering around. Good luck in your vehicle search.
    Thanks for the encouraging words...the exact things that you don't like about the MDX are the ones that make it appealing to me, and I mean ALL of them.....here in the northeast the competition is strong and it reflects on the prices being offered (up to $5-$6K discounts from MSRP)...and as of today bound to get deeper since Consumers Report just declared the GX 450 "unsafe" because of the possibilities of turning over due to slow response of the vehicle stability control units, as tested.
    The Q5, no, very expensive to maintain..it is an Audi,the SRX..no..it is a GM, would you buy a vehicle without knowing if there will be a company 1 year from now?.I have friends that bought one and they wanted to get a small bottle of paint for a small scartch and the dealer told them that the wait will about 2 months because the suppliers are very slow in producing parts and accessories for GM products since the uncertainty in the GM's future..
    Keeping an RX 350 overnight it would be perfect, I don't know in FL but here it would be impossible no dealer would agree with that...they will laugh at me..lol
    Good luck in your next purchase...
    I'm surprised! I thought letting you take the car overnight was a Lexus-type thing. They let me do it when I was thinking of buying the '07 RX back in 2006. Are you sure?? I would still ask. It couldn't hurt.
    ..NO...that is not an option around here in the northeast...you must be in the other part of the country...the nice one..lol
    Gee, that's a shame. I live in Tampa, Florida. I think they should do it anywhere in the U.S. and not just certain states.
    I think if I couldn't spend a day or the night with a potential new vehicle now, I don't think I would give my business to that potential dealership/manufacturer.
    ..are you serious?....maybe you are...but I find it hard to believe that ANY dealer in Tampa will allow ANYONE to have a vehicle over day or night for a POTENTIAL sale...I do believe that if you or anyone else have a relationship with a particular dealer (any brand) such dealer (since they know you and you are a previous known customer) yes, will allow yoou to have the vehicle for a day or overnight.
    With all due respect I doubt that the practice of letting anyone test drive a vehicle overnight is common practice anywhere in the country (I was trying to be funny before)....maybe others will opine on this
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2010
    It would be fun to see the numbers on that.

I took a Honda Fit home overnight last Fall. We were just tire-kicking and I was surprised when the salesperson offered. I had been to this dealer once before and test drove an automatic, and went back a few weeks later to test the manual, but I can't say I had much of a relationship with the dealer.

No other dealers here in Boise volunteered, but I didn't ask anyone either. A private seller let me take his old Miata home overnight last Fall too, but he had my Subaru and we hit it off pretty well anyway.
    To me, anyhow, that story is remarkable....the only time here in NJ that was offered to take a car home was my local Nissan dealer afew years ago and that was because I was probably his best cutomer not only fot purchases but also for people that I brought and bought cars from them..mind you this about 15 years ago. It will never cross my mind to ask for an overnight test drive....probably I will have to sign my last born aaway as a deposit...lol
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new small luxury SUV (like a X3, Q5 and RX 350) recently. If you are interested in sharing your story, please respond to pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012. Please send your contact info, the name of the make/model you bought and a few examples of models that you also considered.
  • nit2nit2 Member Posts: 40
    It is offered under the "Owner Resources" link on Lexus' homepage.

If you are a member, please can you share your experiences and pros & cons?

Thanks in advance.
  • kwbuggykwbuggy Member Posts: 11
    I can't think of any cons, it has some good videos and makes it easy to manage the service appointments, history and access the maintenance schedules. The Canadian version also gives access to the financial details of your lease or loan. I find both US and Canadian versions quite useful.
  • bborgiabborgia Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2012
    My wife has a 2009 RX 350. I purchased a Sky XM Satellite Radio which plugs in to the cigarette lighter and operates with the use of an iPod. You do have to plug in a very thin cable that extends from the actual unit and apparently out the moldings and attached to the roof of the car (magnetized satellite antenna). I took it to our local Lexus and either they could not figure it out or did not want to figure it out (how to get the cable from inside the car to outside the car). Wondering if anyone has had experience with this. On the Sky XM video, interestingly enough, they just put the satellite antenna on the upper portion of the dash and attach it with a velcro pad. Thanks for any insights.
    kwbuggy, many thanks for your reply.
  • ddieckgraeffddieckgraeff Member Posts: 3
    My mother purchased a new 2011 Lexus RX 350 last spring. The dealer installed a remote starter at the time of purchase (we live in Alaska). My mom does not drive it very much (2 miles round trip normally) and often does not drive it for several days. The battery drains if the car is not driven for a week. Installed new heavier duty battery. Dealer says everything is within tolerences electrical usage, but noted the remote starter was drawing more that it should and "reinstalled". Dealer suggested and installed battery tender, and that works if we have some place to plug in. If we can't plug in (like at the airport) the battery is drained in 4 days!!!

The Lexus dealer has no clue as to how to deal with this and says nothing is out of the ordinary. However, we can't believe that having a dead battery if you don't drive the car for 4 days is what to expect from Lexus.

We are about ready to tell them to take the car back and we'll go to a different brand.

Any ideas?
    We're seeing more and more of these complaints. Lots of gizmos draining power in newer cars. For example:

nobmw3, "BMW X3" #4176, 27 May 2012 2:04 pm

Seems like remote start systems are about as problematic as aftermarket alarms. I'd disconnect it and see it that helps. Plus when I lived up there, I found that the car warmed up faster if I just got it and drove it.
    How difficult is it to disconnect the remote start? My mom is 76 and lives 120 miles away from me. Is it something I could walk her through?

BTY, my brother thinks that she should have gotten a BMW instead. Looks like they are having the same problem looking at the link you gave.
    Beats me. Perhaps if she can get it back to the dealer, they'd give her some kind of credit or not charge her for disabling it.

I have a sinking feeling that the problem will still exist though since the car isn't driven much.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll have her consult the dealer the next time she is in town.

Looking the "Club Lexus" Q & A site, this is a problem with several Lexus models. The "smart key" also seems to be an issue at times.

We do have the battery tender installed, which works when she is home. Just trying to get it so she can leave it for a few days and not worry that it will be dead.
    Maybe a solar trickle charger on the dash would do the trick, at least for the summer months up there.
  • friendinthebizfriendinthebiz Member Posts: 31
    The Smart Key function is easily disabled and you certainly should try it and see
    if the short battery life symptom changes. Everything including the remote start
    will continue to work but you will need to actually push the fob button to unlock
    the car instead of just approaching with the key in your pocket. Once in you will
    then need to hold the fob quite close to the Start/Stop button while pressing it.
    You can then return the fob to your pocket.

The change is a menu item using the right steering wheel button on non-Nav
    cars or the Settings Menu in the Nav cars. I am assuming that the Remote Start is
    the factory module installed in the correct port and not an AfterMarket type. You
    press the remote "lock" button three times and hold it til the lights flash, right?
    Has anyone got their RX350 serviced at a "Toyota" dealer instead of a "Lexus" dealer? Two reasons I am entertaining this thought: the Lexus dealer is 35 miles away; Toyota is right in town. Second reason: cost.

Second question: you know that antenna that is on top of the car, about 6 inches in front of the rear windshield, kinda shaped like the tail of an airplane?: if you take your car thru a car wash, will that antenna be able to handle it or do I only go thru touch less car washes?

TIA.
    1. I go to a Toyota dealer for most all my Lexus RX service. Same parts and level of competency at about half the price. No free loaner, gourmet breakfast or quick-and-dirty car wash but I can live with that.
    2. You should be OK with that antenna, mine has the fold-down style located at the right side near the luggage rack and was in fact damaged by an automatic car wash. I now take special care to unscrew and remove it before entering. I suspect the new design should be immune to such damage.

• onyx24onyx24 Member Posts: 1
    A couple of months ago I came home to find my windshield of my 2007 rx350 was cracked right where the sensors are and the rear view mirror was hanging. The car was obviously not vandalized because the cracks could not be felt from outside or inside of the car. There were no other signs of damage other than the hanging rear view mirror inside of the car. The car was locked and parked as I left it. It happened to be an extremely sunny day and my conclusion was that the sun must have caused the sensors to overheat some how which caused the glass to crack from inside. Of course the dealership said the haven't heard of this. I was able to have someone glue the rear view mirror on and figured I would worry about replacing the windshield later. Well, today we experienced temperatures near 100 degrees. My car was parked in the usual place except this time the rear windshield was facing the direction of the sun. When I came home the entire rear winshield was shattered. Again, no signs of vandalism. Just shattered glass in the trunk no rock no nothing. Again I'm thinking the sun caused the sensors along the rear windshield to overheat causing it to implode. Can some help me? Did this happen to anyone else. Contacting dealer in the am.
    Many thanks for sharing your experience.

Good to hear that I have an option here.

If they have to replace any parts, does the Toyota dealer use "Toyota" parts or do they procure "Lexus" parts? I am guessing that from your perspective it doesn't matter. But I am just curious.

Thanks in advance.
    Toyota Parts = Lexus Parts in most cases. On occasion the Toyota dealer may source certain parts from the Lexus dealer, aftermarket parts are never used in my experience. No parts substitutions should ever be allowed without your specific authorization.

Pschiffe, many thanks for clarifying. Excellent info to have. I wasn't aware of the "no substitutions without permission" standard expected from dealers.
  • aart2aart2 Member Posts: 2
    I recently took my '07 RX 350 in for service. I complained (again) about the severe engine noise on start-up. Long story short, I'm going to be out $3,000 for cam gear replacement! Lexus says this is a deal as they are paying for 50% of the parts. I believe that this is a quality issue and they should pay for much more. Does anyone know how to escalate this issue? Have others had this cam gear issue?
    Wow this sounds extreme! How many miles on the engine and what were the warning signs that the cam gear was wearing out? Have you owned the car since new or could a previous owner damaged it by neglecting oil & filter changes?
    I just checked all of the 2nd and 3rd generation threads on the Club Lexus website and only found one mention of this problem. It occurred in February 2010 to an RX350 with 45,000 miles on it. It is apparently a known issue with a few engines. Look at the posting yourself and then try to get the dealer to pay some more of the repair costs. The poster on Club Lexus had his repair done totally under warranty but of course the car only had 45K on it at the time and was only 3 years old.
  • aart2aart2 Member Posts: 2
    I am 3rd owner. Just over 80,000. Previous owner bought as certified pre-owned and I know the previous owner was religious about regular service. I have been arguing for Lexus to cover more. They agreed to 50% of parts cost, but it'll still set me back $3,000.
    This is my 4th rx, 2004, 2006, 2010, and now a 2013. The 13 runs just as good as
    any of the other 3 and uses regular gas instead of premium. Same engine since 2007, why did it take so long to do this?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you go back and look I think you'll find that NONE of your previous RXes REQUIRED premium fuel. Even my 2001 Porsche C4 will run happily on regular.