Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota 4x4 Problems

Comments

• 01dakota4by01dakota4by Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 V8 Quad Cab and having these same issues-I only have about 85 K mi. on mine and the sounds are horrifying. They've been inconsistent. They've occurred about 3 times and went away after a couple awful moments each time. Noise this loud has got to be causing damage...have you had any luck tracking yours down?
  • bwelderbwelder Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota that makes a jolting, clunking sound in 4wd. This happens in both low and high ranges. It only happens under a load and has occured driving on the snow covered highway and on a dirt fire road. The last time on the fire road it took about 1/2 a mile to start, and then repeated the jolt every 20 seconds or so. You can feel the jolt and the sound sometimes comes from the rear of the truck, sometimes the front, and sometimes in the transfer case area.

The local dealer has checked the front and rear differentials and the transfer case. All fluids have been changed. There were no metal shavings anywhere.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Are you sure that is not just "normal" sounds of driveline wrap?

I would not worry about it...unless you have lots of $$ to spend on replacing all the driveline joints that have loosened up over the miles. (CV-joints, U-joints, bearings, gears, xfer-case chain, front/rear diff....etc.) If you add up all the places where things can get "loose" that can mean a lot of "slop" in the driveline.

Heck, my 2000 make joting sounds in 2wd in first gear if I am not tender with the throttle. Just letting off the throttle in 1st gear will "slop" the driveline forward. (Expected of a manual xmission with 100K miles on it.)
  • bwelderbwelder Member Posts: 2
    This seems to be more than driveline "slop". It feels like something is in a bind and then "breaks free". It shakes the whole truck when it happens.

The local Dodge Dealer can find nothing wrong!!!
  • marchalmarchal Member Posts: 3
    I have and 05 Dakota 4x4 and my "SVC 4WD" light has been randomly coming on for about 2 weeks and every once in a while the "4WD LOCK" will come on too. When I'm pulling into a parking space or turning at slow speeds it sometimes feels like the 4WD has engaged. When driving yesterday it almost felt like I was losing power. Any idea what the issue could be or how serious it is? I'm a couple hours from home and no shops are open today so I don't know if I should be driving at all right now.
  • jaman1jaman1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 03 Dakota sxt 4x4. I can't figure out how to put it in 4 wheel drive. Help!!!!!!! :confuse:
  • zaphodbblbroxzaphodbblbrox Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dakota Quad 4x4 abs etc... bought it new. Had 3 rotor replacements, driver side callipar replacement, DS axle replacement, DS wheel bearing replacement. Now the passenger side is making a horrific noise. My suspicion is the wheel bearing is going. 80000 miles and nothing but problems. The first rotor replacement was at 12000 , second was @ 19000 3rd @68000 and that was when most of the DS issues were addressed, of course then it was out of warranty. Also had problems with the heater fan not working... also replaced components of that system now 4 times, from the switch and blwer fan to now the module in the ignition colmn. is this common??? I have been told by my dealer that I am unique with my problems.... lucky me.

I will never buy another Dodge product....
    "I will never buy another Dodge product.... "

Ahh - But if the politicians have their way, your grandkids may be owning some part GM, Ford, and Dodge - (The reason I say "grandkids" is becasue politicians have already spent any money they will get from you, I and our kids by 'bailing out' the banks. The politicians are now working on spending taxes collected in 2020.)
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I will never buy another Dodge product....

Complaints of poor quality rotors was a problem from 2000-2003. Of course you went 49,000 miles between your second and third replacement. Without knowing how you drive, that could be very resonable. But poor rotor longevity complaints are common on many trucks. The Nissan Titan is definitately the worse I've ever seen.

Wheel bearing problems are not very common on Dakotas.

The blower motor resistor failing is..or was a problem on your vintage, but it also sounds like you did not get a good diagnois all the time and probably not a reliable repair, either. The blower switches, I've not heard of one failure in all these years. They changed the blower resistor design a while ago and the new ones are good. If you're still having a problem the quality of the repair is suspect.

Not making excuses for your Dodge, but mine has been very reliable and I've got 113,000 miles on mine. At least as reliable as any Chevy or Ford, and probably better in most respects. Of the dozen or so people I know with Dakotas, none of them are unhappy. It's unfortunate you've had issues, but in the last year every Canyon/Colorado I know of has had a cylinder head replaced at least once, a friend with a 2007 Tacoma has his taken back under the lemon law, and dozens of Titans seem to suffer from a multitude of various problems, just for example.

It shouldn't happen, but it does, and it happens to a small percentage of each competitive brand. My Dakota would have to give me a lot more problems than yours has had in 80,000 miles before I'll ever go back to a Chevy!!

Dusty
  • willinidahowillinidaho Member Posts: 2
    what fixed your problem? I have a 2001 AWD and it's doing the same thing. I had to take the drive shaft out and run it in 4WD. The TCCM and dash selector switch have been replaced.
    Wheel bearing problems are not very common on Dakotas.

Mebbie so... but before 90K miles, I had to replace front wheel bearing in my 2000 Dak. When on lift the front wheel would wiggle about 1/2 inch. Bearing was defanatly bad.
  • willinidahowillinidaho Member Posts: 2
    I fixed the 4X4 problem and I'm just leaving some info on here in case someone else has the same problem. My 01 AWD dakota would shift from AWD to 4X4 all bye it's self after about 20 minutes of driving. If I let it sit over night it would go back to AWD and be fine for about 20 minutes of driving. The transfer case motor fixed the problem. Not sure why it was doing it on it's own but that is what it was doing. I picked up one from a junk yard. Don't let them charge you more for an AWD motor because both the 233 and 244 use the same motor. I was told $650 for the 244 motor and $150 for the 233 one. The dealer wanter $450. Oh one last thing, the front drive shaft yoke has to come off to get the motor off. What where they thinking when they approved this design? Now that this is fixed, anyone want to buy a dakota?
  • ckmoeckmoe Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 with 76k miles and the 4 wheel drive does not engage and am looking for help/solution ideas.

In 2 wheel drive there is a noise like a dry/loose bearing on the drivers side. It is directly proportional to the speed of the truck (and maybe exaggerated during breaking.) When I select 4Hi coasting at about 15 mph, allow time for it to engage then slightly accelerate, there is a severe grinding noise like bearings are getting chewed up or maybe gears not meshing. The noise is now definitely on the drivers side. I switch back to 2 wheel drive right away.

The wheel bearing assembly is good, the CV boots are intact and no leaks around the transfer case. Any thoughts on the source of the problem and the fix?

Thanks
  • brdanielbrdaniel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Dokota that I need to replace the oil pump on... Has anyone found an easier way than lifting the whole block out?
  • harlo2harlo2 Member Posts: 1
    have you had your 4wd problem resolved on your Dakota? My truck is doing the same thing. if you know what the problem was it would greatly help me.
  • marchalmarchal Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, I got it fixed. I took it to the dealer and it took them 2 hours to diagnose the problem. It was some sensor that controls the 4WD that went out. Cost me about $800 to get it fixed.
  • jdrmm8400jdrmm8400 Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2002 Quad 4x4 with 4.7 and 45000 miles. I have a clunking sound coming from the front when I brake heavy. The dealer has replaced rotors, lines and pads (and DS front axle seal). I don't feel the clunk in the pedal, just in the front end. Also, today it was raining pretty heavy. Decided to try out the 4 hi. It would not disengage out of 4hi until I turned the truck off. BTW - the light did change from 4 hi to 2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • denp44denp44 Member Posts: 46
    Just bought a used 98 Dakota Sport 4 x 4
    Where is the light when in 4 wheel drive on the 98 Dakota.
    The manual says it is on the shifter bezel. I don't see any light.
  • maddog123maddog123 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same noise Took it up to the mechanic and he said that my front drive shaft needs to be rebuild. New front drive shafts from the dealers are about $500.00 Mike
  • clumberhunterclumberhunter Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 with 76K miles on it has started shifting in and out of 4WD. It does this while it is being driven and while it is shut off. Now it has taken to locking into 4WD while it is shut down. I have tried unplugging the switch but it still does it. It has me baffled as it should not be getting power with the switch unplugged. Any help would be greatly apppreciated, Thanks.
    Matt
  • jdrmm8400jdrmm8400 Member Posts: 5
    They told me it was because I had 2 different brand tires on the truck. Dealer did replace transfer case motor before they put 2 new tires on to make all tires same brand.
  • pilot42pilot42 Member Posts: 1
    i can get it to shift into low range four wheel drive, but not high range. anyone have any ideas?
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160
    Den44, I also have a 98 Dakota 4X4 SLT and my Part-Time 4WD indicator is in the instrument panel cluster(to the right of the Low Wash light) Mine did not light up the other week when I shifted the lever into 4Hi. Thinking it might be the bulb, I proceeded on Tuesday of this week to pull the instrument cluster from the dash. It was not as bad a job as I thought it would be, but it was all for nothing anyway. It was NOT the bulb(it's a real tiny one, FYI) so the issue must be with the position switch on the Transfer Case. Guess I should have checked that first, huh? Auto Zone has this switch for around $18 bucks. I'll use my meter to check for continuity and go from there.
    I know this post is old, but my '98 Dakota 4X4 SLT came from the factory with 31-10.50R15 tires in place of the 235/75R15 which I believe is the stock size.
    Just wanted to post an update on the Transfer case switch on my 98 Dakota. It was indeed the vacuum switch on the Transfer case that was bad. It is located on TOP of the case(mine is the NV231 model) at a slight angle. There is a 2 wire connector on it and a 7/8 deepwell socket worked just fine. The part cost $19.07 at Auto Zone compared with nearly $40 from the dealer. Took all of 5 minutes to change.
  • nyhikernyhiker Member Posts: 1
    can anybody help if i not moving and i turn the wheel to the right sounds fine when i turn it towards the left it makes a sound like unscrewing a rusted bolt if im driving once in awhile when i drive over a bump you can hear it sometimes i kicked the wheel and i heard the noise again some tell me its the wheel bearing then some one told me its the steering box and the last one told me its the ball joint ....has anybody had the same problem???
  • actx01actx01 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for detailed and informative info on the "rachety 4wd" thread. Have experienced similar issues with 2001 5spd V8 Dakota 170k miles;
    ISSUES
    - inadvertent/random engagement/disengagement (attempts) in/out of 4wd
    - clunking noises from the front drive line.
    - apparent clutch slippage under load
    INSPECTION DISCOVERIES
    - removal of the front drive axles revealed that splines on the LF shaft and CV joint were totally destroyed (apparent source of clunking noise)
    - had dealer diagnose inadvertent shifting issue - problem with electronic controls on transfer case.
    - removal of the clutch revealed just normal wear no damage.
    REMEDIES
    - removed LF drive shaft, until I save for replacement aftermarket units and control module for transfer case. Have heard that aftermarket units are much better.
    - replaced clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing
    RESULTS
    - clunking and grinding noises ceased
    - slippage still happening (albeit less often and less severe) even with new clutch and pressure plate.
    QUESTIONS
    - Is there any other place in the drive-line that could produce a slippage sensation/feel?
    - Does the clutch need time to wear-in and is initial (slight) slipping with a new clutch unit normal?
  • cmcmullincmcmullin Member Posts: 1
    I'm having EXACTLY the same problem after only 35k miles. I've spent almost $3,000 at the dealership to have it fixed, but they don't know what they're doing, nor did they fix the shifting in-and-out problem. Also, on a couple of occasions the 4wd stopped working and the "N" light came on (for the neutral postion on the shifter) but I wasn't in neutral! It's annoying; the shift motor will even shift in and out after I've shut down, locked the doors,.. and you can hear it doing it when you're walking away from it in the parking lot. I don't dare go into a parking garage for fear it will shift while I'm in a tight turn. So far, the only thing I havent tried yet is to have the shift motor replaced. Those guys at Dodge replaced: the a/c transducer; the forward control module; the instrument cluster (none of these sound like they have anything to do with 4wd); and they attached a wiring harness. They said if all else fails (coming from their tech support center called STAR), replace the shift motor.,
  • landon_aplandon_ap Member Posts: 3
    I'm having the same exact issue as well! I have done a ton of homework as I don't trust many mechanics. I've heard too many horror stories of people paying dealers/mechanics hundreds of thousands of dollars to get one problem fixed, just to see it continue to exist.

None the less I read a ton and narrowed this problem down to one of two things. There is a sensor in the Electric Transfer Case Shift motor, unfortunately you have to replace the entire shift motor. Or the Front Control Module(FCM) There is no Transfer Case Control Module(TCCM) on the 05, it is all controlled by the FCM.

A good friend of mine new a mechanic he has used and trusted for several years. I had him look at it and his conclusions matched mine but he was very straight forward and told me he wasn't sure which either.

I purchased the Electric Shift Motor today ($284) and went to work. NOT AN EASY TASK! you have to remove the front drive shaft, which requires removing the Exhaust Y pipe that from the best I could tell would require the one tool I don't have to re-install, WELDING.

Needless to say I have not got the new shift motor on yet, but am hoping to soon. I will let you know the outcome.
    Ok so I lied. It does not require welding, only unhooking the Y pipe (Crossover to some) at the manifold. I started this project today and ran out of daylight so will have to complete it when there is more light.
    Replace the Electric Shift Motor. Beware if you go DIY.
  • musicbydmusicbyd Member Posts: 7
    I recently bought an 87 dakota 4x4 and there is no label on the engage shifter how many positions and in what order is it 2wl Hi 4 low 4 ???
  • rwbohnrwbohn Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 dodge dakota that im having problems fiquring why it wont work in four wheel drive,there is no vacuum switch on the transfer,just the 4x4 lighting swich for inside the cab wich does work,when locked into four wheel drive the shaft going to the front axel does turn,ive looked the whole axel over to find what other people have been talking about as far as the acculater but the only vacuum line comming off the axel is a breather that mounts on the passenger frame,is it possable this axel is a full time and only is suppost to engage is when you pull the lever on the floor to engage the transfer case?,if thats the case im thinking i might have damage inside the pumpkin.
  • gunslanger65gunslanger65 Member Posts: 1
    hey guys i cant get mine to lock front tires in tran locks in just fine but wont lock front in any ideas
  • superflashsuperflash Member Posts: 2
    Hi All, I have a 2001 4x4 Dakota 4door. I took the front drive shaft off to replace the CV joint on the transfer case end. I also have to replace the Left CV shaft. Shouldn't I be able to drive the truck out of shop and turn around using the rear drive? My Dakota is an automatic AWD/w 4hi 4lo. It won't move with the front shaft off in any position on mode switch AWD 4hi or lo. I assume I have been pulling the truck with the front diff. for a while. Thanks for any help, Superflash
  • superflashsuperflash Member Posts: 2
    Hey Gang, I cured it myself. Evidently the transfercase motor was stuck or ? Anyway I wiggled the wires and tapped on the motor and walla it worked and I could move the truck with the front drive shaft off. Worked as I thought it should. Superflash
  • alizardalizard Member Posts: 1
    Just got done driving my Dakota in fairly deep snow...now it won't shift out of 4lo...can the shifting mechanism freeze?
  • jbuhlmanjbuhlman Member Posts: 1
    musicbyd for your 87 Dak all the way forward is 2 wheel, straight back about 2-3 inches (just pull 'till it wants to stop) is 4 Hi. From there move to the right (towards passenger) and then pull back, 1st stop is Neutral, all the way back is 4 Lo.

I have an '88 and they should be identical.
  • sparkdaddysparkdaddy Member Posts: 1
    I have issues shifting from 4wheel back to 2 wheel . I needede 4wheel so I locked in and couldn't really get it to engage into 4 but it sounded like it was grinding from the front diff , so I disengaged and now the dam thing grinds in 2 wheel not really grinds but is more like a ZzzzzzZzzZz of non engagement of axle into the hub but I haven't pinpionted if its the cv engagement or what . I.m almost certain its in the front end . Anybody have similar problem ? Its been good lil buggy till now, just made my last payment , go figure . If anyone can help sure appreciate it , thanks
  • dakota4x452dakota4x452 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 Dakota 4x4 that wont go into 4 wheel drive . Since it was new it was used maybe a dozen times. I replaced vacuum lines and the light on the floor stays on all the time but its not in 4 wheel. When you put it in 4 wheel the light goes out but its not in 4 wheel .I really need to get fixed before winter.Anyone have any ideas what I could do next. Just wish I had a book on this. Thank you.
  • pbblairpbblair Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Dodge Dakota 4x4 V6 also started shifting in and out of 4wd by itself and doing it when even the engine is off. My shop said the Front Control Module "probably" needs to be replaced. It costs about $600. Has anyone replaced that part to solve this problem? If so, any recommendations on where to buy this part on-line cheaper? I only plan on keeping truck for another year so I would buy a used one. Any idea the part number?
  • yush724yush724 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact problem with the same year/make Dakota. Did the Front Control Module fix the issue? The dealer has replaced that part and one other control module, and we are still experiencing the problem of it shifting to 4wd by itself.
  • pbblairpbblair Member Posts: 2
    Replacing the FCM (Front Control Module) did not fix it. They had to also replace the Encoder Motor. Once that was replaced, the issue was fixed. However, I am still unsure if the FCM ever needed to be replaced. The encoder motor cost around $350 for the part.
  • va165va165 Member Posts: 3
    Rich28, have a 2001 5sp man Quad 4x4 as well. Dealer giving the run around. Wife having issues when turning corners-t-case doing it's own thing-partial enguagement-makes a horible noise-vehicle shakes/binds up. Owned truck since new-found a recall online-has been posted since 2001????never got mail from dealer stating this 'safety issue' once called-had to give dealer info I researched myself, including recall campaign number-which is 01VO77000, 975. number of vehicles listed is 170800. apperantly-CD has a engeneering issue with this 'new-shift-dial in the dash electromechanical upgrade' not new anymore since 2001. hopefully they put this design in the tank-stinks. NV233 tcase another issue-not a syncromesh-goof design as well-CD's explanation is its better design- if you dont mind the cluncking/clashing noises under your drivetrain-they claim this is normal-dont know what they are selling-typical car salesman/dealer svc dept-commissions involved-doesnt matter. Iv'e been to the dealer twice on this recall-they allegedaly reprogramed my transfer case control module-no go. dealer wont go any further without me spending $ on a witch hunt.funny thing is one salesman asked me if I felt like trading up to a newer model-answer was sure....around the corner at the GMC dealership-wont buy another dodge truck ever-warranty/safety recalls/bulletins are just words on a page to this company-would have tanked recently if ol'e Obama didnt bail their butts out. va165 good luck-iv'e temporarily disconnected my 4x4 feeds/power sources-running in 2wd only-rarely use 4x4-lock up problem isnt fun going around corners-better safe than sorry.
    My fellow Dakota brotheren-w/ 2001 in dash 4x4 shift in dash. Mine is a 5 sp man. doesn't matter-auto trans the same. I have 4.7 V-8 V-6 same as well. What the dealer will not come to the plate on is simple: the 'new design' for this year and a few subsequent was a mess in research/fab/development department! plain and simple. I have owned MANY 4 wheel drives over the years-they are NOT, I repeat, NOT supposed to enguage on their own! bottom line!!!!!!
    My 1976 power wagon 4x4 works just fine-378,000 miles-never had a 4x4 'enguage' on its own-then have some whatever....at dealer or 1-800# tell me that their responsibility is none!! must see dealer for diagnostic/fix-of coarse on my dime. B.....S...... enough said
    Dealer will 'try' to reprogram the 4x4 module-want to sell you a new one! Then they will attempt to sell you an encoder motor...more$ So after they throw all these new parts at it at your expense-more than likely the problem will become a fart in the wind-gone. However, not one person I have spoken with on this matter that is of any substence, Ex: Qualified tech , can nail this issue down to any one component! All in agreement are singing to the same sheet of music-DESIGN FLAW!!!! Components weren't 'dialed in together' ohms,frequency,compatibility, etc.....I have offered the local dealership service manager my keys for the weekend-see what happens....no takers-they know whats up! enough smak... dont let them pull wool over your eyes!! if there are enough of us-we can make a bigger splash in the pool vs. just one! all have a great holidays-gonna take the F150 out tonight-It's snowing-figured the boy scout motto.....be prepared-cuz the Dakato ain't hangin.VA165.
  • joeyrabjoeyrab Member Posts: 65
    :lemon: I stopped following Chrysler products around 1999, I was sick of everyone laughing at me for being a "dodge boy", well, not so much that. I finally saw what everyone meant after I owned a couple...
    I read all sorts of negative things about the Dakota and it's v6, I just didn't realize how unreliable Dodge's still are, I just went through the Dodge forums, my God, what a mess. Deep down I think I still have something for Dodge, It must be lingering from when I was a kid...but wow, I could never own one again....I feel bad that they never could get it to gether...and why stick around and play if you can't play nice...? I guess that's a whole other story...
    Correct, TCCM is the deal-dealer will 'reprogram' according to my post/bulletin#97 on this site for free of charge. However, the unit doesnt need reprograming-needs to be thrown in the nearest garbage can and replaced-of coarse at the owners expense-manufacturer pleads the 5th. maybe the new one will be made stateside like original 'American' vehicles were produced-dont be surprised if it says on new part: Bangledash, ethiopia, china etc..... good luck! Va165
  • nburkmannburkman Member Posts: 2
    My 05 did this as well to fix it they put a new t-case shift motor in the truck it ran $648.00 after instal but it has not shifted on its own anymore mine was so bad it did it with the key out of the truck while sitting parked
  • nburkmannburkman Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to put a new exahust system on my 05 Dakota 4x4 I would like a deep throaty sound what is the best way to get that deep sound out of my truck
  • geobcongeobcon Member Posts: 11
    The pilot shaft end bearing failed and damaged the end of the shaft where it enters the clutch assembly. Also the ID of the throwout brg sleeve is scored about 1 1/2 " back into the sleeve. Are there replacement parts for the pilot shaft and throwout brg sleeve? I can send you pictures of the components as well as part numbers found on the bell housing to give you a pictoral view of the parts if required. Looking forward to your early response in that my wife doesn't like to lend her car