Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Audio Questions

Comments

• themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    The iPods are meant to work when used in conjunction with the Hyundai iPod cable. While you can use the Apple iPod cable, your mileage will vary as to how well it will work.

- Merg
  • bromerilbromeril Member Posts: 1
    how do i get it to play it in order of artist and not the 4 letter code. it gets annoying trying to find a song. is there a way to get it to scroll with name of song or artist?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    You need the Hyundai iPod cable in order to get that functionality. You can get one online for under $30 or just go to your dealer and get one. Part number is 08620-2L000.
  • wcw1wcw1 Member Posts: 44
    I just had my six CD changer Visteon radio replaced on my 2007 Sonata after six trips to the dealer. It turns out they installed a newer XM version of the radio. My old radio was not XM. The car was one of the last 2007 models without XM.The part number of the newly installed radio is an Infinity 00202-F7001-QZFLT Hyundai P/N 96190-0A650-QZ.

I was wondering if any of you gurus out there could tell me if it is possible to get it to work as an XM radio. I get No Tuner when I press the XM button on the radio.

I believe it needs some kind of module and an antenna but I can't seem to find much info. Can the module be located in the trunk and an antenna on the trunk lid.

Or is what I want to do impossible or too much work/cost?

Thanks for any advice.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    It's possible to have XM, but you need an XM tuner and antenna. The antenna is a roof mounted unit that is also body colored. HMAservice.com might have some information about it. You'll need to register and you must select the Sonata (NF) menu. Hope this helps.
  • ttiernttiern Member Posts: 17
    My 2011 Sonata has a USB port that I've gotten to work with flash-drives up to 2GB so far (I have larger on order.) The question is what's the best Mac or PC app/ program to organize and configure a music library onto the flash-drive? The dealer, and Hyundai have been little help in understanding or dealing with this issue, and it's not addressed in the manual.

I have both a Mac and a PC. I don't believe iTunes will sync to a flash drive so that may not be an option. Windows Media Player really mucks up the organization of music so it's not at the top of the list. WinAmp could be possible; and I'm open to trying other apps/ programs that will do the job.

Input on what's worked best for others using flash-drives would be very helpful to me, and I'm sure to others watching this discussion as flash-drives become more common.

Note that the iPod cable works great with all the benefits of iTunes organization, but my iPod Touch isn't available for use when it's plugged in so the USB sounds like a better option for storing a music library, if I can get iTunes type or organization of my music library (i.e. playlists, artist, genre, etc.)

Any ideas?
    Tim
  • billchang2billchang2 Member Posts: 11
    Be careful! I tried to do this with a 32GB stick on my 2008 Hyundai Infinity system and it blew up the mp3 player function for a week or two. I tried to get info from this forum but no one knew the answer. Most I got, I believe was that it was TEAC chip but coulld not find any info on it's catalog capacity or how it treated nesting and sub folders.
    :confuse:
    I have not found a solution for the nesting and folders question and have settled on using a 2GB stick where I can page through the folders (artists or albums) and roll through the tracks in that folder.

Will approcaite anything you find out.
    I'm curious about your comment:
    Be careful! I tried to do this with a 32GB stick on my 2008 Hyundai Infinity system and it blew up the mp3 player function for a week or two.

How did it blow it up for a week or two? Did it heal, did it require a repair, or...?

Some of the comments on a Lexus discussion along this vein indicated that some were using large flash drives, and some were even using portable USB hard drives. It's disappointing that neither Hyundai Motors nor the dealer have anything of substance to offer on this. One would expect Hyundai to understand and support their audio system. Hopefully this thread will generate some informed answers.
    :(
    Tim
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I haven't tried it myself but have heard good things about MediaMonkey: http://www.mediamonkey.com/
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • sharksoupsharksoup Member Posts: 26
    I've had good success with a 4gig flash drive; only problem is that it is sometimes slow to load up and begin playing. Sometimes by turning the radio off and on it will come out of it. I doubt I'll go any larger than 4 gig because of this problem.

As for organization, I've used two methods. One is to load individual songs on the drive with no other folders. That way you can let the drive play all the way through or set it at random. Other method that has been successful is to load full albums from Windows Media Player. The sync method seems to work well. It sets up individual album folders on the flash drive. You can then "scroll" through the albums and select an individual one to play.
    Yes it "self healed" meaning it allowed me to access the 2GB USB.

I don't remember disconnecting the battery cable or anything. I had the same frustration about the lack of info.

Yes, I'm hoping it will too. :)
  • russman09russman09 Member Posts: 5
    I am using an 8GB USB drive with no problems. It does take about 15 secs for it to load up the first time I use it after turning the car on, but no other problems. The stereo will read MP3 or WMA files, but not Apple. From my computer, I just go into My Music folder, select the artists I would like, and drag them to my USB drive. When I plug it back into the stereo, it sorts them in order of artist, but displays the album title. This is a little frustrating, but not bad.
    You can buy a 4GB USB drive for under $10 if you keep your eyes open (Meijer has some now). I have three thumb drives in my console. One for my normal music, one for kids music, and one for classical music. This allows me to play random music without going from Zeppelin to Bach to Barney. Very easy to switch them out.
    While I agree Hyundai has room for improvement on this, I am overall very happy with the setup. Pretty intuitive interface.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    edited April 2010
    I am using an 8GB drive. It works fine. I did discover a "bug" also reported by other users. If you have folders that start with the same name, sometimes the file will hang.
    Example"
    > Folder "Eric Clapton"
    > Folder "Eric Clapton and Tracy Chapman"

All of the files show in only one folder, and the files hang. (Keep trying to start and re-start over and over)
    Unplugging the drive did not help. The only way to fix it was to rename the folders or to consolidate all of the music under one folder. (Eric Clapton)

This issue was on a 2011 Sonata Limited. I had a loaner with a 2010 Limited that did not have this same issue.

One other issue that users are noticing, is that the random function does not hold if you change modes. (USB to FM for example)

Other than those small bugs, USB works great, and 8GB is not an issue.
  • ryanlbrownsrryanlbrownsr Member Posts: 2
    To whom it may concern,
    I own a 2009 Sonata and I recently purchased a Zune MP3 player to use in my car, but when I plug the Zune into the USB port the stereo unit reads, "USB Error."
    I don't know what this could be, seeing that when I use the AUX jack, the unit plays fine. Also, when the Zune is connected to the USB port, it shows that the battery is charging. So what could the problem be here?
    I've read that the USB port will only work with iPods and USB Drives (flash-drives or portable hard drives).

It's my understanding that other types of MP3 players (such as the Zune) don't work with the Hyundai audio. The sound output from the MP3 player varies with each manufacturer having their own proprietary format. When the Zune is connected I suspect the Hyundai audio system expects to find an iPod. The radio reports an error when it sees another type of "foreign" (non-iPod) signal.

The Zune will charge because the "power" connection in the USB port is the same in either brand. It's like plugging into a charger. The battery will charge, but the "signal" or data connections won't work.

You should still be able to plug your Zune into a separate USB charger in an accessory (cigarette lighter) port for power, then connect an audio cable to the Aux 3.5mm (earphone type) port, and use your Zune. This isn't quite as nice, but it can work with a Zune or other MP3 player. Use of the USB port with a Zune will result in an error that may prevent any use of the radio for other purposes.

At least that's my current understanding from my own sleuthing into USB issues.

Tim
  • ryanlbrownsrryanlbrownsr Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Tim. You've been very helpful.
    Your question got me thinking this morning because I'd assumed only iPods would work with the radio through the USB port. This was based on the MP3 cable only working with iPods because of the Apple proprietary jack on the cord. Of course flash-drives also work with the USB port.

Regarding the use of other phones/ MP3 players, I checked and learned that my SanDisk/ Sansa "Clip" MP3 player worked fine with the USB radio input. It stepped through the folders on the drive and played selected music. It also indicated it was charging. This is not surprising since music is copied into folders on the "Clip" much the same as a flash-drive.

Other devices (Microsoft's Zune?) may use proprietary connectors or require special software and may not work as an MP3 player in this audio system. It could also be the case with some/ all phones? It appears to depend to a large degree if the devices can be connected to a computer and accessed as a separate drive.

Regardless, the USB port should charge the device if a USB cable is provided. One problem could occur if the device indicates an error on the radio. This may prevent the use of the radio for other purposes until the USB installed device is removed.

There may be another accessory port that you could plug a USB power adaptor into for charging a USB device. Belkin and Kensington make adaptors that are low profile and blend right in. I use one, in addition to the USB port which I use for music. The extra port allows charging a phone or other device without interfering with the radio.

Tim
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What does this have to do with the Sonata's audio system? :confuse:

Do you realize that making the same post in many different forums is spamming?
    This may have been a fortunate error, or a mis-posting. Regardless, I was glad to see it.

I have a new weeks-old 2011 Sonata and didn't know about this potential safety issue. If not posted here I may have missed it. I just sent this, other related postings, from CarSpace; and from Hyundai Forums to my dealer to learn more.

After the Camry debacle I want to know. I'd driven Camrys for 20 years, and would still be driving them if not for the poor way they handled safety issues. Now I'm curious to see how Hyundai handles such matters. I expect them to be responsible, and will hold them accountable if need be.

Tim
    In their Owner's Manual Hyundai fails to address or provide ANY documentation on how to set up or configure the flash drive for use with their audio system.

Does anyone know of any links or available documents that address this?

It seems Hyundai has dropped the ball and left their customers in the dark regarding how to effectively use flash-drives in the audio system. I'd expect that they've addressed this issue somewhere, but haven't found substantive answers online or from the dealer. There are bits and pieces floating around on the various forums, but nothing that's been comprehensive and definitive.

Any ideas???

Tim
  • skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    HD Radio only appears to be available on the 2011 Sonata Limited standard radio. However when you add the "Navigation and Sunroof Package" to this car the HD Radio feature apparently gets removed from the audio system. Does anyone know why Hyundai would do something stupid like that? :mad:
    HD Radio is a "Late Availability" item... meaning that early builds will not have the feature, but later builds will have it. I have seen a post that claiming that someone bought a limited with NAV, and that it has HD radio.

I have also seen a more recent post where a user just got a car with a 4/20 build date, and it does not have the HD feature. Since it often takes approx. 3 weeks from build to delivery, I'd guess that the 4/20 is one of the newest cars on the street.
    It may be possible that there will be a mix while they are working through the
    radio inventory from the supplier.

I'd suggest calling Hyundai Consumer affairs, and see if they can investigate the actual availability date.
  • skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    I called Hyundai consumer affairs per your suggestion (thanks), they're investigating. Will report back to this forum when I find something out from them.

Regards, Steve
  • mommytmommyt Member Posts: 42
    Thank you Tim.
    I am glad that you understand that I posted this in a lot of areas for that very reason. Some people are eager to point out that my message has nothing to do with the area they are looking into. I feel better, just knowing that at least one person is aware. I have sent emails and letters to the Hyundai Corporation. They haven't responded. Best if luck with your new car. I really miss mine. No other 2011 car can compare to it at this time.
    Thanks for understanding. :)
  • mommytmommyt Member Posts: 42
    Sorry, I didn't realize that. I was focused on getting the message out. I didn't mean to offend anyone, just wanted to help. I really hope that my message will stay posted in all of the categories though. It isn't meant to condemn, but to make everyone aware of the "potential" danger.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It isn't. Please continue to discuss this issue in the 2011 Hyundai Sonata discussion only. Regardless of how important you deem the message, it is unrelated to the audio system (and nav system, etc.), and people have a reasonable expectation that conversation in our topic-oriented discussion be related to the title. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• texassuntexassun Member Posts: 13
    Anyones have been try Ipad?
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    in my 2009 Santa Fe Limited, my iPad will not work through the stereo. I can only run it via the dock connector to 3.5mm. So no stereo controls. Must control it through the iPad itself. Only the steering wheel volume works with it.

Taking suggestions as to why. I'm wondering if it's a power consumption issue/difference.
  • chausterchauster Member Posts: 2
    I owned a 2010 Sonata and when I connect my iPhone to the usb port the stereo said reading error and usb port also doesn't charge my iPhone when its almost dead. Does any1 know how I could get this to work without buying extra cigarette aux adapter thingy? I use my iPhone on my friend's Ford with the usb connections and it works fine.
    I think you need to use the Hyundai cable. It's about $30... might be worth a try.
  • chausterchauster Member Posts: 2
    I am sure it will work if i buy the extra Hyundai cable thing but it doesn't make sense why i should have to buy this since i have a usb connection already that came with my iPhone and it works fine on my friend's ford using usb connection, basically there might be something wrong with the hyundai stereo is what i am getting at.
    IIRC from other posts I have seen, regular iPods will work as USB devices with the regular cable, but with limited functionality. iPhones require the Hyundai cable to work at all.
    The manual for my 2011 Sonata GLS states the following [in part]:

CAUTION IN USING iPod DEVICE • The Hyundai iPod Power Cable is
    needed in order to operate an iPod with the audio buttons on the audio system. The USB cable provided by Apple may cause a malfunction and should not be used for Hyundai vehicles.
    The Hyundai iPod Power Cable may be purchased through your Hyundai Dealership.

There is more in the manual that should be referred to for best results in using an iPod/ iPhone with the radio. I have an 8GB iPod Nano that is left connected all the time with no problem with it charging.

The iPod cable is a good deal for the $30 and assures reliable operation and charging.

Tim
  • drewnmegdrewnmeg Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2011 Sonata and get an error message when trying to connect my iphone (to use the Ipod function) through the auxiliary cable that Hyundai provides. My wifes iphone has the same problem. We have iphone 3's. It will actually play the music from the phone while it says "loading" but after 10-15 seconds it says "loading error" and does not recognize the iphone/ipod. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Thx!
    has anyone figured this out yet or gotten the specifics from Jensen/ Infinity or Hyundai?

Question is how big a USB stick will the 2009 Infinity Sound system in Sonata Limited accept without errors? I got errors when trying to access one with 20+GB of music.

If it's not Stick size, is it Files/ directories that are causing the problem? If so how many files or directories will the radio accept without returning an error.

What's the best way to store them on the stick to reduce/ eliminate the problem and make it easy to access the files?

• jodigjodig Member Posts: 7
    I am using a 4 GB USB stick with a 2009 Sonata Ltd. It works fine. I listen to Podcasts and access them by turning the station select knob. The radio screen shows the name of the podcast. I would like more information on how to organize the files on the stick so it is easier to select exactly where I want to start listening.
    Thank you.
  • dkouchevdkouchev Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had a problem playing their IPOD using the IPOD cable? I've tried with two different IPODs and I always get static.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've been told by someone in the parts department at my local dealer that I can't play my iTouch (first generation), and that none of them are supported on a car like mine. I was willing to buy the cable, but he said it wouldn't matter.

I was quite disappointed, and was wondering if there's truth to that, or if because it was 5:45 and he closes at 6 and he didn't want to open the register back up. I got the Sonata (Cocoa GLS V6) and absolutely love it, but this sort of ticked me off considering it's a 2009 model and iPod touch models have been out a couple of years earlier.
    I'm not familiar with the 2009 Sonata ports, but my 2011 has a provision for the iPod cord and played my 1st Gen iPod Touch with no problem.

I eventually bought an 8GB iPod Nano on Craig's list ($40) so I could just leave it plugged in all the time and have my iPod Touch immediately available for use when needed. I later bought a 3rd gen 32GB iPod Touch (for me, not the car); and now have an iPhone4. All have worked well with the audio system. In fact, infinitely better than the 8GB USB flash-drive I tried at one time.

Suggestion:
    My dealership had the MP3 cables in the showroom floor cars. Ask if you can borrow a cable for a few minutes just to try it out. My guess is that they will and it will work fine. Please let us know how it came out.
    ~Tim
    I am now using a 4GB thumb-drive and love it; it keeps me from having to get my iPod out every time I'm done driving the car. It has 320 songs on it and still has 2.8GB free; that should be plenty!

In the setup screen, I've noticed there's an option to turn AVC on and off. Can someone tell me what this does? I checked the manual but couldn't find it.
  • themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    AVC is Automatic Volume Control. The system will raise and lower the volume output automatically to account for road noise as you increase and decrease speed. It's usually very subtle.

- Merg
    VERY subtle indeed. I sort-of figured that's what it was, but I hadn't noticed a change like I did in my folks' Civic or Taurus that has that feature.
  • alabwcalabwc Member Posts: 2
    Question: I just purchased a SansaClip for listening to Overdrive Audiobooks in my 2011 Sonata. The radio sees the mp3 player but will not play the Overdrive WMA files. It will play music, etc, transferred from itunes....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I return the Sansa Clip.

Thanks.
  • russman09russman09 Member Posts: 5
    The Sansa Clip is not the problem. Most of the Overdrive Audiobooks are protected WMA files, meaning you can listen to them on your MP3 player, but you cannot listen to them on any other player, including hooking your player up to your stereo via USB. You will have this problem with any player. Just plug your player into the AUX jack instead. Works like a charm!
    It appears the problem may lie in the the Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme used by Overdrive and its incompatibility with the audio system in the car. This quote is from their site:

"What is an OverDrive WMA Audiobook?
    An OverDrive WMA Audiobook title is a digitally-protected audiobook that has been optimized for download." More can be found at Overdrive Site..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is added later as hindsight: Check into other sources for free books in MP3 (unprotected) format on the web. Free and unprotected is good. I just Googled "free audio books" and came up with a long list of sources. These should provide tons of options and work with your Clip with no problem, although they will all be in the public domain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Back to Overdrive:
    Does the Clip play these files when you're just wearing earphones? I'd suspect the problem occurs when the audio system tries to play with an Overdrive WMA - DRM protected file.

The Clip is essentially a mass-storage device that will play MP3s and other unprotected audio files. I have 2 Clips, but don't use them in the car or with DRM protected files. Personally, I stay as far away as i can from DRM files (especially WMA) and Windows Media Player because of all the restrictions.

Although I tried the Clips and USB flash-drives they were found to be unsatisfactory with the Sonata's audio system for various reasons. I also have an iPhone, but didn't want to tie it up feeding music to the radio.

My solution was to go on Craig's List where I found an 8GB Gen2 iPod for $40. I had the iPod cord from when I bought the car so I was set. That solved my problems, but you still have the protected DMA issue. Can your audiobooks be obtained in a different format, preferably without DRM?

If you go with an iPod and the iTunes store works for you then that might be a solution. You'd have to use the iTunes software to buy books (I didn't see any free), but they have many free podcasts on a variety of subjects that sync to either an iPhone or an iPod Touch. Audio books and music in MP3 format can also be loaded from your own files.

My iPod Nano works well for me, especially with an iPod cable in the car (cost about $30 to $35, but it's well worth it as you can control the iPod from the radio itself.) Of course I primarily listen to MP3s.

Another would be to "rip" the DRM files with software that removes the digital copy protection or converts them to another format. Unfortunately, that leaves you without control of the audiobook features (which you probably don't have using a Clip anyhow. My clip works great when working out and mowing the lawn, but not in my car. The iPod is made to work with the Sonata audio, and does it well.

Another more spendy option would be to go with an iPod Touch which gives a lot of additional options. A free Overdrive app is available. See details at: Click here.

The iTunes webpage gives more information and screen prints. It would give you al lot more control. The iTunes pages states: Navigate parts using MediaMarkers™, create bookmarks and resume from the last point played. MP3 Audiobooks from the library automatically expire in the app, so no late fees!

There may not be many answers in this, but there are options. I'd be interested in the road you choose. This has been a learning experience for me.

And, Overdrive may have a support number or chat capability where you should be able to pose your question.

Sorry about the rambling. Let me know if you have questions.

Tim
  • alabwcalabwc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for all the input. I'll try several things and see where I end up....

Thanks again. I'll post if I have any luck....
  • panda7panda7 Member Posts: 3
  • panda7panda7 Member Posts: 3
    I have the dealer cable for the IPOD Touch. I can see the playlist option on the screen, but i can't access the playlists. How can you access the playlists from the audio system? My playlists were set up on Itunes so they are good on the IPOD.
  • ming2ming2 Member Posts: 17
    Is the new 4th. generation I-Pod Touch compatible and usable in the 2011 GLS Sonata with standard stereo.
    I have the same car that I use with Hyundai's MP3 cable. I have had no problem as the 32-pin connector is the same on the regular iPod devices. I've used interchangeably iphone 4; iPod Touch Gen 1 & 3; and iPod Nano Gen 1&2. The touch is essentially the same as an iPhone, but without the phone. Works great!

FYI: I bought an 8GB Gen 2 iPod Nano on Craig's List for $40 that I can just leave hooked up in the car. Obviously, it'd get to be a pain to connect and reconnect my iPhone; as well as wearing out the connector. You might want to consider an iPod that you could just leave connected in the car.
    Tim