Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Audio Questions

Comments

• ttiernttiern Member Posts: 17
    I select "Playlist", then the desired playlist, then the song by pressing the tuning knob (The same one used to adjust the speakers.) It's not the most intuitive approach, but it works for me. Good luck!
    Tim
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    A $5 USB drive works well for me in my '09 Sonata. 4 GB of music; I just created folders on my windows PC and voila! Playlists.
    Flash-drives can work well. I have several, including a 16GB. The problem is there is a delay to load the music. With the 16GB drive it takes about 15 seconds before it starts to play.

Also, with a flash-drive there are only playlists (folders) available. With an iPod you can also choose among artists, albums, genre, etc., and the start up is almost instantaneous as the audio system communicates with the iPod.

An iPod is something to strive for if you're into having the ultimate in selection options.
    Tim
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've never had it read more than 5 seconds, but then again, I only have about 3 GB worth of music on my SanDisk USB.
  • hearsejockeyhearsejockey Member Posts: 3
    I can't figure out how to tune in the extra HD broadcasts on my 2011 Sonata. Is it possible to tune in 102.9-1 and 102.9-2? There's quite a bit of extra programming out there I'm missing. Thanks for any help.
    You don't mention your model, but I don't believe you get HD FM on the GLS, only an XM trial. The Limited may have. Check with dealer.
    Tim
    Sorry, it's a 2011 Limited. Dealers aren't that helpful with some things and the manual for this car leaves a lot to be desired.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    The early model Sonata Limiteds did not have HD Radio. I'm not sure if it ever got added back in or not.
    Oh my car definitely has hd radio. When it kicks in it sounds amazng. I just can't tune the extra feeds in. Tuner goes from 95.1 to 95.3, etc.
  • timmythebulltimmythebull Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Sonata and just got a Sony mp3 player for xmas. My question is about the formatting of songs from iTunes. After investigating, am I correct in saying that my Hyundai radio will not recognize the default iTunes file format? Does that mean that I just have to set iTunes to convert everything to mp3 before I put it on my Sony player? I really like the software with the player to import from iTunes otherwise I would just take the long route and download music to Windows Media and then to my player. Any insight? Thanks.
  • illinimikeillinimike Member Posts: 1
    I've tried to use my ipod touch on the 2011 sonota with navigation system and have had no success. Can I use the usb cable that I use to interface to computer? Get message that no device is detected. Did play as a mp3 but the playlist is not available on the screen.
    Help?
    Do you have the "special" $35 cable from Hyundai. Regular USB cable won't work with an iPod Touch.

You can use a male-to-male 3.5mm audio cable between the iPod Touch and the port near the USB port. Control would be by the Touch and not the audio system, except volume. A cheap, but inefficient system.

Get the $35 MP3 cable from Hyundai and all will work as it should. It has BOTH USB and earphone cables integrated.

TimT
  • themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2011
    Just picked up an iPod Touch 2nd generation and it seems to be working with the Hyundai iPod cable. However, I do notice that sometimes when I first connect, it appears to start loading and then I will get a Connection Error. I have to unplug and re-plug the cable back in again. The Connection Error also occurs sometimes after it first connects and I then use the Seek button to skip to another song.

Is anyone else seeing this issue or could I possibly have an issue with my cable? I did notice that with my old iPod, it never seemed to charge correctly even when connected, but I chalked that up to the battery being worn out and not really holding a charge.

Thanks,
    Merg
    I've not had the problem with my 2nd gen iPod and 2011 Sonata GLS. Perhaps there's a firmware upgrade available through the dealer. It doesn't sound like a cable problem if it occurs during Seek.
    Tim
    I have the most up-to-date software for the Nav system as I have the 2010/2011 Map Update (which also included a software update). I am running iOS v4.2 on the iPod Touch. I'm wondering if it might be a cable problem in that maybe the wire is kinked as it would sometimes get bent pretty far when I had my regular iPod connected. While it does occur when I hit the Seek button, it sometimes doesn't even come on to begin with.

- Merg
    Okay, I did some more research and it seems that even if I go to the Playlist and select something from there I will get the Connection Error. It seems to be most prevalent if I happen to have Random selected, but even occurs when Random is not selected. I'm gonna try to go by the dealer and see if I can borrow a cable to eliminate that issue.

If anyone else has any ideas in the meantime, I'd be happy to hear them.

- Merg
  • wadester999wadester999 Member Posts: 3
    I see a lot of people having issues with the iPhone. Has anyone had luck with the streaming Bluetooth? Supposedly the iPhone can be used in this manner, but I'm wondering about control issues
  • wormbabywormbaby Member Posts: 5
    Is Bluetooth A2DP music streaming possible without navigation package on the 2011? I would love to have music streaming but I don't need a navigation. Thanks.
  • bongibongi Member Posts: 1
    I just bough a 2011 Sonata GLS without Nav and am getting terrible AM radio reception on a 50,000 watt station thats located less than 20 miles from here! The dealer responded by saying that the radio's are all digital and that AM just suffers because of that. This would make some sense for fringe area but even FM is still analog-has anyone else run into this or found Hyundai able to give them a solution?
  • russman09russman09 Member Posts: 5
    This may not be your problem, but worth mentioning. I have a 2009 Sonata I bought in the summer. First really cold day of fall I turned on the rear defroster, and my radio reception got horrible. The antenna is integrated in the back glass, and apparently one of the wires had thin insulation on it so that when rear defroster kicked on, it gave interference. Had to have the back glass replaced, and now it works fine.
  • doug52doug52 Member Posts: 25
    The IPOD discussion has been helpful, but have another question. According to my research, the base audio is a 104-watt system. When renting an Accent about a month, found the audio to be surprisingly decent, but it has a 172-watt system. Understanding that these watt ratings are often misleading, would be curious to hear from 2011 Sonata owners about their thoughts as to base audio quality. Thanks.
  • wadester999wadester999 Member Posts: 3
    I have the infinity system with I think 400 total watts. You are correct watts is somewhat misleading. The systems sounds very good with one exception. There is way too much bass coming from the door mounted speakers. The system has a 8" subwoofer mounted on the rear deck, but the sub is open to the the entire trunk on it's back side so it's not very efficient. To me it seems like all the speakers operate at full frequency range, which is a huge waste of the wattage provided. If I had it to do over I would use the cost if the Nav package to put a custom sound system in.
  • pegboy77pegboy77 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2011 SE for 5 months now. I noticed right away that with my iPhone plugged in with the cable provided, it skips the first second or two of any song i select unless it plays into the following track. More like a fade option in a way.
    I haven't had time yet to go back and ask them about it but it drives me nuts. When paired wirelessly, i don't have that problem... but i prefer to not have to look down at my phone when i want to choose something. I'm sure i could just get a cable for aux only, but i prefer to have it up on my Navigation screen.
    Do they have a site for checking on updates via usb? It Would be awesome.
    Anyway... Heading to LA this weekend. Can't wait to just rot away listening to XM Raw Dawg etc. for 4.5 hours in the desert. Dope.
  • woodymagwoodymag Member Posts: 1
    I am having an issue and was not sure if I was the only one. I had used my Ipod Touch 4th Gen for about 4 months now with the car and it has worked seamlessly. I just got the Iphone4 and tried it but it has a connection error after about 5 sec. I am using the special Ipod cable from Hyundai. Anyone else use Ipod fine but Iphone will not?
    Thanks
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Woodymag- try this:

Let your iphone connect via Bluetooth first before connecting the cable. This may take 30 seconds or so. Once the phone is connected, plug in the cable. You will see an error message on the iPhone screen (not optimized etc..) you can dismiss it, or ignore it. At that point you should be good.
  • sammie23sammie23 Member Posts: 1
    Try looking at your settings of your iphone when connected to the computer on itunes or just on your iphone. There might be a setting of the fading that's interferring with a setting in the hyundai that's already a preset.
  • _esch__esch_ Member Posts: 3
    Picked up a new 2012 Sonata w/o Nav yesterday. Had pre-ordered iPod cables from Amazon.

I have: ipod Touch 4th gen; ipod Nano 3rd gen; Palm Pre

With the special iPod cable ($22 on Amazon), i only get AUX detection w/ the ipods. And charging. Song selection is from the ipods only.

With my normal (apple default)iPod USB cable, I get full detection as ipod on head unit, steering wheel control, head unit control, Hyundai logo on ipod, "Accesory detection" msg on ipod, charging. Basically everything. So my $2 cable works perfectly. Just need to order a black one now to match sonata interior better.

Basically, i did not expect these results because of what the majority of reviews/comments i've seen have said. I'm assuming other hyundai models did require the special cable and hyundai maybe made some recent change?

Using my mini USB cable detects my Palm pre for music, as expected.
  • seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    I am just using BlueTooth to get music from my phone. I got the car in middle of July and have yet to use a CD. But the best music source so far is Satellite radio that is free for 3 months.
  • becbecbecbec Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2012 Sonata. I am using an ipod usb cable and it is recogized by the sonata. However, when I choose a podcast to listen to, it sounds like the chipmunks. The speed is so fast. I tried to disconnect and reconnect and it doesn't do anything. And, the only way to pause the podcast is to disconnect. How do I prevent this from happening and allow me to pause since I can only use the radio controls and not the ipod. Any help would be appreciated!
  • guge81guge81 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    My XM RADIO just says Loading, then goes to the start screen with no info on it. It freezes there and you cant get any response from pressing buttons.

ALSO, I do not know if its due to the same issue, BUT, as the XM stopped working so did my HYUNDAI CABLE Aux cord I use to connect my IPHONE that displays the info on the radio. My phone no will not charge when plugged into that cord and no longer displays the info on the radio.

Please help!!

Someone said it may be the XM SET TOP BOX (?no idea where it is)for the xm, as for the cable I have no idea
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Sounds more like the stereo head unit to me. It would talk to the XM receiver & most likely drives the USB port as well.

Check the fuse. Pull the fuse to fully power-down the stereo, then re-insert it.

FYI: The stereo should have a 3 year/36K warranty so if you're within that period take it to a dealer for servicing.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • mpg100mpg100 Member Posts: 2
    I would first go to the XMSirius website and send a refresh signal to your radio. Make sure your radio is on when you do it. This should clear the "Loading" issue. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, call customer support and they'll do it.
    eh.. didnt work.. any other suggestions.. no luck.. I appreciate your time!
    No Luck.. done it a million times.. the radio is just frozen on it.. I think in someway that the XM although is seperate has something to do with the AUX button.. idk..

Any other advice?
  • tomitas11tomitas11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Sonata GLS and my bluetooth ( I think) went "crazy", keeps asking questions and I turned it off but volume keeps going down like magic! I wrestled with the volume button but eventually I give up, so I drive daily about six to nine hours with no radio!!!! Please help I am getting depressed and neurotic!!! Thanks
  • jnewman88jnewman88 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2012 Sonata, and the preset controls for my xm are not working on my steering wheel. The FM and AM presets can be controlled on the steering wheel, but when on xm it just goes up and down each channel in order. Is there anyway to fix this?
  • yannis2yannis2 Member Posts: 1
    MP3s do not play in new 2011 Sonata. Dealer claims that they are flawed. But when tried in
    similar Sonatas on his lot they play just fine. After contacting Hyundai Motors directly they,
    Hyundai Motors now claim that they cannot guarantee playback on "homemade discs ".
    In addition these MP3s play in any other brand I tried, such as Ford Fusion, VW Beetle,
    Lexus, Infiniti,etc.

Can I accept this explanation as bona fide, when in actuality my Sonata radio system is
    labeled as XM/AM/CD/MP3 Playback?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Does your Sonata have a USB port? If so you can test whether it's the homemade CD or the MP3s themselves by copying the MP3s to a USB drive (preferably a thumb drive & not an iPhone/iPod or other MP3 player). If they play over USB but not on CD then the CD you created is the cause of the problem. If they still don't play, though, then the MP3s are incompatible.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    So a while back I posted about my XM radio locking up and my Hyundai USB Port with the HYUNDAI Cord not working.. I thought it was a coincidence that both stopped working right about the same time.

Well last week for 2 days the XM Radio AND USB port worked fine, I have no idea what happened, but for whatever reason for 2 days the XM radio loaded and the USB port worked and displayed the information for my iphone on the screen and charged my phone as its supposed to do.

Then it stopped working, so what does this lead people to believe might be wrong with it? Im sorry but it has been terrible going from an AVID SiriusXM listener to having to tough it out listening to FM radio.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks again everyone.
  • mikesmikesmikesmikes Member Posts: 2
    try looking in your passenger side wheel well in trunk....bet it was under water design flaw from hyundia that they wont admit too....good luck
  • mikesmikesmikesmikes Member Posts: 2
    My xm receiver got wet because my wheel well took water. question is I have a xm tuner now and the only way to listen is through a fm channel. was wondering if there is a way to direct connect through the in dash receiver?

mike
    08 sonata gls with no aux port
  • hevnbounhevnboun Member Posts: 2
    Hello..I have a 2009 Sonata Limited. Whenever I turn the car off and then back on again after about 5 minutes or so, I lose all my programmed stations and the radio will be off. I checked the fuse and it is good. I cant figure this out. I am asking everybody what it could be. Also, I have a CD stuck in it that I cant get out. Please Help!!!!
  • jodigjodig Member Posts: 7
    That happened to me a number of times (losing the stations). The most recent time, I realized that there is more than one FM (and maybe AM) set of memorized stations. In other words, if you push the button for AM or FM, you may have gotten the second group, which I hadn't programmed. So I thought I'd lost them, but didn't really. Hope this helps.

Re the stuck CD, I had that happen too. I think I solved it by putting in another CD and then ejecting them and was able to get both of them back.

Let us know how it goes! :)
  • hevnbounhevnboun Member Posts: 2
    Yeah..it wont take another Cd. My problem is different. If I program all the stations and turn the car off and leave it off for 5-10 minutes, I lose all the stations and the radio wont even be on anymore.
  • zoom333zoom333 Member Posts: 2
    I also have the problem with the stations not staying set and my radio is also off when I turn the car back on....have you had any solutions for this?
    I just bought the car on Saturday and love it but hope to get the radio thing fixed soon. My CD player also won't take another CD...don't know if one is in there or not since I just bought the car.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    You might try this.... remove the fuse that powers the radio. Wait 60 seconds then reinstall the fuse. This will sometimes re boot the radio.
  • zoom333zoom333 Member Posts: 2
    I took my Hyundai Sonata to the local dealers service department, they told me they could not/would not fix my radio or CD player (after they set an appointment for them to look at it). They said the only option was either an after market radio/CD or a new one from their factory. I asked the price and was told $1,074.52 but this includes installation and taxes....LOL!!!! I was so mad!!! Why didn't they tell me this before I went there? Why can't they at least look at it??? I don't want an after market radio that won't ever match but I sure don't want to pay $1,074.52! The radio works but will not hold the radio stations when you program them...and the CD won't take a CD..don't know if it works or not. I am very dissappointed with the service from Hyundai.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    If your car is out of warranty(radio warranty only 36k miles) than they should have given you the option of whether or not to have it diagnosed. In all honesty, it would save you alot of money to have an aftermarket radio put in as opposed to a factory one which as you know is expensive, but still at least give you the option to choose for yourself.
  • wolffsongwolffsong Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Hi all,

I have a Sonata 2011 w/ the GPS system and all of my audio is off. I have looked in the various displays, but can't find a mute or anything similar that seems to work to turn the audio back on. Does anyone have an easy solution or is there a more extensive problem? I have checked the owners manual to no avail.

Thanks!
    edited June 2012
    Are you referring to all sound coming from the radio and navigation system or are you referring to just the turn-by-turn directions from the navigation system itself? If the latter, there is a little icon of a speaker on the left side of the screen while on the map. If there is a circle with a line through it on top of it, then the navigation audio is turned off. Just tap on that icon and the circle and line through it should disappear and you will have audio again.

- Merg