Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 10 Turnaround Tips for GM/Ford/Chrysler

Comments

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,180
    "If the Fusion offered a manual transmission with its V6 engine + sport tuning, it could easily develop the image of a sorta "bargain basement BMW"."

I bet they just didn't want to steal sales from the MZ6. Still would be nice to have the option.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Do you think the bad PR on it's crash test ratings will slow sales ???? I personally think it will slow sales some. Ford better address this issue. Many moms look at crash test ratings when buying a car for their family.

Rocky
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    I just heard about that on the news the other day, and it really bothered me. These days, reasonable safety is taken as a given by consumers...esp. on a middle-of-the-road sedan.

Fusion had seemed like evidence to me that Ford was finally "getting it" again on making good cars. :mad:
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,591
    It can be tough to get it right on the first MY of a new model. Subaru received relatively poor rankings on its '05 Legacy lineup for side impact, but beefed up the '06 model to ace the test. Perhaps Ford will do the same?
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,180
    I was pretty disappointed as well. It seemed like a car that may have sparked a "Taurus" like renaissance... Well, probably not, but a SOLID effort by any means. I notice a lot more 500 "Safest car on the roads "commercials being played since the news broke:D
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,349
    GM has to hire better stylists. Their cars are either:

1. downright homely (I'll spare the owners)
    2. bland (yawners, you know you who are)
    3. attractively styled from dated styling cues from 1995. (corvette, some cadillacs)
    4. weird (cadillac's sharp-edged cars)

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

"4. weird (cadillac's sharp-edged cars)"

I like the wedgy cars...I think they look futuristic and yet very contemporary at the same time. And it's nice to see at least one domestic car division looking toward the future with its styling, rather than looking back to the "good old days" or being stuck in the mid-1990s soap bubble school of design.
    You can tell it's not working because no one is copying it. A sure sign of a failed styling concept IMO. With a mass market product, having a small number of admirers won't work unless those admirers were very high profile people and could convince the market that this styling was attractive.

Everybody copies Benz and BMW and Audi, nobody is copying GM right now. (but they used to).

Hadn't considered that...what's the usual amount of time in the auto industry for designs to be copied?

I still think the design is serving Cadillac well. It's very unique, and definitely stands out, which is what Cadillac needs right now. Cadillac finally has a good product that will appeal to younger drivers...it needs a way to get noticed.

And the design seems to have some "American-ness" to it, which strikes me as a good thing.

Seems Cadillac finally took a stand against GM's corporate inoffensive blandness and said "If we're ever going to break out of the rut, we've got to take a chance and do something bold."
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Auto makers do copy designs. The lines of the Audi TT began showing up in other cars almost immediately. The shape of VW's Passat is still being copied. Shifty is right about that.

But I'm not so sure others would dare copy the Art & Sciences theme. It's too specific. You can copy an arching roofline without being obvious. Copying Caddy's surface effects would be obvious plagiarism.

Start a speech with, "The other day I had a vision." Most people won't notice. Start it with, "I have a dream," and they'll see through you.

The Arts & Sciences style is one where you have to go all the way or it just doesn't work. And people would see through that.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,012
    Sadly, some of Bangle's ideas are being copied too.

I hope the big 2.5 don't go down that road.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    It can be tough to get it right on the first MY of a new model. Subaru received relatively poor rankings on its '05 Legacy lineup for side impact, but beefed up the '06 model to ace the test. Perhaps Ford will do the same?

Already done. Side air curtains (maybe seat bags too) will be standard on the Fusion for MY07. According to a Ford employee who posts around Edmunds a couple of other safety features will be made standard as well but he didn't reveal them. I'm guessing ABS for one but don't know about the other.

The added safety plus AWD as an option should do the trick to make it a good choice for safety IMO.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    Sadly, some of Bangle's ideas are being copied too.

I hope the big 2.5 don't go down that road.

Amen! I noticed Hyundai has a model or two with the "Bangle bustle" too.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Except that Hyundai did it first, on the 1998 Grandeur (which showed up in the US as the XG300 in 2000) and carried it over in milder form on the 2001 Elantra.
    I wonder if anyone has ever confonted Bangle on the origin of the bustle. I would like to see how he'd explain it. It has no place on an S-class, anyway. Too many car designers are lemmings.
    I think Bangle has cost BMW many millions of dollars...him and whoever thought up iDrive....

I've read he's pretty solidly unapologetic about his designs in general.

Some of it has grown on me (a little bit anyway), but the tail-end stuff still looks atrocious to me. :(
    GM should hire some Italians.

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    to me looks very nice while the 5-Series and 7-Series don't look umm... luxurious.
    Do you think BMW and Mercedes have a styling edge on GM :confuse: The new BMW interior/exterior are downright ugly. Mercedes is okay, but isn't leaps and bounds ahead of GM. However unless your rich, who can afford a new one(mercedes) ?

Audi, used to make very nice designed cars. They ruined the interior and exterior just like BMW. Sure they are lots of fun to drive, but I do think styling ranks up their atleast in my purchase decision. BTW- Who can afford a fullsize Audi ?

So basically that leaves GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, making more reliable cars, that are affordable, and just as nice if not better than the Euro's :shades:

Rocky
    well you have to let sales statistics speak for themselves, and they don't speak all that well for GM and Ford in particular.

"However unless your rich, who can afford a new one(mercedes) ? "

Weren't you talking about buying an Escalade or CTS-V? Seems kind of ambitious for an under-30 security guard...are you rich?

The key is to let someone else eat that initial depreciation. For the price of a new CTS-V, I could buy an 04 model AND a C43 AMG....
    I have wealthy in-laws that had a vacant 2200 sq. ft. house on a 473 acre farm where I currently live. Guess what happened to me last friday during the divorce medation. Well my MIL got our house during the divorce thus we have to move. :cry: I won't beable to afford a new Slade or CTS-V and is one of the reasons why I was holding off my purchase decision on a slade. Now I'm Joe-Six-Pack again with rent/mortgage and can't buy my dream vehicle :sick:

I went from classy to ashy :surprise: But I'll be alright. My Mother in-law was so happy to throw us out on the street all because of her bitterness torwards my wife having a good relationship with her dad. She is a sicko. She told us we had 2 days to move last friday at 8 p.m. Then she came back and wanted us out that night. :surprise: She was hugging my son, and we asked her why are you hugging and loving on him when you want to throw him out on the street tonight ? :surprise: She didn't say anything. She told her sister to look around and see what's in the house and she started to go through are stuff. My wife told her aunt you stop right there. We called the sheriff and the independant lawyer that held the mediation and asked him if she could legally throw us out tonight. He told her to contact her lawyer since he couldn't be involved. Well we contacted the judge saturday morning and asked how much time we have to move. She said 30 days. Well my MIL wanted the eviction papers served at work so I'd be fired and the judge said no. Why would you want to try to get your SIL fired from his job ? Well that place is mine now and I want them out. I contacted my employer that night to warn them of her threat. They said she is nuts and you've been living there for about 3 years. I've pumped money into this house and fixed alot of it up and she's going to be that mean and bitter torwards us ?

Well thankfully we found a place to live in Dumas Tx. I've lost all respect for my MIL. Would a normal person expect their kids to choose sides in a divorce ? My parents never did during their divorce thankfully.

So fintail, I will be rich someday. Not for awhile though :D Maybe 2030 CTS-V :P or a good used 2007 CTS-V in 2012.

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    I feel really bad for you, man! Who's your MIL? Livia Soprano? Maybe you should simply throw a bucket of water on her and she'd melt! Your post makes a good argument against marriage. That's why I'm still single after all these years. It's too much of a risk to get married this day in age. If any government wants to promote so-called "family values," they should either outlaw divorce or make it extremely hard to obtain. The kids always suffer the most. What does your son think of Grandma now? My parents are still together after 42 years. If they could do it, anybody could!
    Hire all of us as board of executives to make Cars, Trucks, SUV's, Vans, Wagons, CUV's, that every person would want to own. ;)

Rocky
    I feel really bad for you, man! Who's your MIL? Livia Soprano? Maybe you should simply throw a bucket of water on her and she'd melt! Your post makes a good argument against marriage. That's why I'm still single after all these years. It's too much of a risk to get married this day in age. If any government wants to promote so-called "family values," they should either outlaw divorce or make it extremely hard to obtain. The kids always suffer the most. What does your son think of Grandma now? My parents are still together after 42 years. If they could do it, anybody could!

I'd take Livia for a MIL over my current one. Marriage works when 2 people aren't quiters, but when one in the marriage is a few quarter panels short, of being a fully built car, then your going to have problems. ;) My son is only 2, and daughter 6 months, but my son saw mom crying and getting yelled at by grandma, and was yelling back at his nutty grandma. :( I interuppted her, and pointed this out to her.

Well I'm glad your parents are blessed to last that long. I'm going to do everything in my power to reach 50 years "god willing" ;) You have to have a connection with your potential spouse before you get married. My wife and I have our ups and downs, and sometimes we have to take our differences to the shop to be repaired. ;)
    (talking it out) 3 1/2 yrs. and going strong for us. :shades:

Well back on subject:

I do see GM, Ford, Chrysler, turning the ship around. They all have to keep Quality at the highest level, while making fashionable cars. They all need products for each segment. I however feel GM is taking the solictice idea a lil' to far. Soltice, Sky, Stingray, and maybe a Saab knock-off ?????? GM might be making a huge blunder here. I just hope I'm wrong on this badge engineering, otherwise GM in 5 years will have to start cutting this line-up too.

Rocky
    I'm in between a Rock and a hard place now on my next car. :cry: I was dead set on a new 07' CTS-V as my next but probably won't beable to afford it now. I'm going to have to perhaps limit myself to a under $40K car, but still want a sedan and the fun factor of the CTS-V.

Any suggestions ????.....I guess can wait and see what the 6 speed LS-2 G8 is going to look like for sure, I guess. :sick:

Rocky
    Ah that's a shame, sorry I brought it up. Cases like that explain why hitmen were created.

But hey, if typical GM style residuals keep up, you could still afford one of those in a few years. Local Caddy dealer has an 05 CTS-V for 39K...at that rate...
    It's alright pal. My wife and I will be better off in the long run. The house we live in now was suppose to be part of our inheritance from my in-laws when they were still married. So we made it our home and I never thought my MIL would give up so much to my FIL during the divorce mediation just to get this property. My FIL got more then he ever thought over her wanting to kick us out. I guess it benefited him greatly. Moving away from here does have it's benefits. We can get unlimited long distance once again(telephone) and I'm 25 miles one-way closer to work. We also won't have a $409 dollar gas bill for heat living in the "country" or a $200+ electric bill. ;) We can avoid the energy Nazi's that charge out the butt for utility's. But yes my overall cost of living will go up thus resulting in some cuts like premium of new car. I guess like the Big 3 I will have to "downsize" my next car choice until my wife get's her degree. I want to buy GM since I get a employee discount and of course many in my family work for them. Unfortunatly the best car for the money in my opinion perhaps would be a Acura TL 6-speed w/Navi and VR, but I'm not sure if I dare open that can of worms again. ;)

Hopefully GM will build a car in the near future that both my wife and I want to own as much as the new 07' CTS-V.

Rocky

P.S. the mexican mafia idea crossed my FIL mind. ;)
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    If you really want a car, the base Lucerne doesn't look bad to me. I saw one at the Philly Auto Show and I certainly wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in it. I would probably keep the Seville in that case than trade it. I'd get rid of the Park Ave. Insurance costs would get out of hand keeping all 3 of my cars and adding one. The Brougham is with me for life.
This discussion has been closed.