Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Transmission Problems

Comments

• jayman6jayman6 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys (I'm Canadian),
    Just bought an "09 Highlander 5 weeks ago (4WD V6) and was experiencing all of the same symptoms as described from the start - the vehicle would prematurely shift into 5th gear at 55kph (30 mph) and would shudder until about 50-55 mph under light acceleration. I gave it a while to break in as a previous post mentioned something about the "learning curve of the computer". Over the last two weeks since I arrived home from a long trip (approximately 1800 miles), the vehicle has been behaving - I've been actively trying to reproduce the same conditions that caused the vibration but can't any more - the SUV now shifts into 5th gear closer to 50 mph more appropriately and I am not able to cause the vibration. It is possible the break in period settled the issue of shift points with the auto transmission in that they are now more appropriate for engine speed, torque, rpm etc. However, I do notice that the transmission can be more hesitant at times to shift from 4th to 5th after downshifting to 4th to climb a hill at 60 mph and I let off the accelerator when the hill crests. No other issues since, though.
    Cheers
  • vttacovttaco Member Posts: 6
    All:
    I am pleased to report that that my Highlander no longer shutters/vibrates when changing gears.
    The dealer performed two transmission fluid flushes (out of 5 Toyota said would be the maximum to try to resolve the problem) This was to remove any moisture that may have contaminated the old fluid.

The vehicle is now running more smooth in overall driving than it did when I first pulled off the lot.

Here's to hoping this is a permanent fix.
  • rpanaitrpanait Member Posts: 4
    Hi jayman6!
    Good to hear you solved your problem. When was your SUV giving you problems? When accelerating or during the deceleration?
  • stevied5stevied5 Member Posts: 8
    Hey man - that's really good news. One question though, how loud was the vibration you were getting, at what speeds/conditions did it occurs?. I remember once getting air inside my power steering system fluid and as the air bubbles were pumped through the rack it made the most god awful vibation that was clearly audible at each turn from inside and outside the car, fortunately the system bled itself and the problem went away, but the vibrations I had with my HL were different they were a very regular pattern of pulses occuring under specific condition - maybe you had a different problem to the others here - any way so glad to hear is better - go and enjoy your new car
    Hi,
    The only problem I was having was during acceleration - I hadn't noticed any deceleration issues.
    Cheers
    Hi!
    Just to clarify - the vibration didn't make any noise per se - I just felt the vehicle vibrate when under light acceleration and it seemed as though it was because the vehicle was in an inappropriate gear for the road speed - it seems to have corrected itself now and is shifting into the top gear closer to 50 mph instead of 30. Kind of reminded me like driving a stick and being in too high a gear for low road speed and getting lagging/vibration if I tried to accelerate. Let me know if this clears things up.
    Cheers
  • vttacovttaco Member Posts: 6
    The conditions my Highlander had the vibration/shutter were in slow acceleration. I could reproduce very easily when going up hill or on an on ramp that had a slight elevation grade.
    sounds like the exact same problem and you reckon that changing the fluid fixed it? Did they use a different/special kind (did they reprogram the computer). Here's my conspiracy theory : the computers are programmed to leave the factory and change up to 5th real early at low revs, this helps them meet emissions regulations etc, then, after 1000 miles or so, they change their shift pattern to make it more driveable (at the expense of emissions) - far fetched?

how many miles have you done now?
  • parkerf1parkerf1 Member Posts: 1
    Have had my Highlander a few months, It has continual transmission problems which Titus Will says it cannot find anything wrong. History: going slowly up steep little hill, car dead stops, gives a HUGE clunk, bang, I am slammed against seat, then it starts to go again. Diff day: cannot get out of park, only thing that worked was taking my foot off brake. Diff day: On hills, free wheels forward and backward (like your driving a clutch and don't know how). Transmission hestitates for a dangerous few seconds when trying to merge into freeway traffic, so instead of speeding up you are slowing down while transmission tries to shift. This hesitation occurs most of the time, especially when car is cold. Transmission problems are intermittant so I am thinking its a computer problem?? Not a mechanic, just a single pissed off mom with a bad car.
  • minnesnowta1minnesnowta1 Member Posts: 27
    First, who is Titus????

Second, what kind of Highlander do you own. New or used?? 09/10 Sport/Limited AWD or base FWD? Engine, V6 or 4 cyl.

Third, does your Highlander have DHA (Down Hill Asst.) If you are using this on the road, don't. It's for off road, rough terrain use only.

It does sound like you have issues however.
  • kevincookskevincooks Member Posts: 1
    hi guys. i got exactly the same problem with my 2009 V6 4WD Sport which i bougt it last week. it now has 200miles on it and still does the vibration thing. also it has the following problem.

while drining in "D" position, if i let go of the gas, the transmission downshifs quickly. as a result, the car slows down very quickly as appossed to keeping rolloing that you would expect. if i switch to "S" position, the slow down would be much more natural.

My dealer says its a normal thing while the vehicle is breaking in. but i just wanted to make sure if anyone else have the same issue and if this is related to the 'vibration' problem also.
    my dealer said the same, and a number of others here have had the same problem, mine cleared up as did others, but I did notice it slightly once again last night but it occurred at 1100rpm which was very low engine speed but previously it occurred at 1500 rpm, I genuinely believer this is a running in issue or computer learning issue but I'm waiting a little longer to record a verdict I currently have about 850 miles on mine and the effect is a LOT less and harder to reproduce even when you are trying to provoke it. Because the car is so quite and smooth, you do notice it compared to something less refined. I also noticed that shifting into sport mode altered the change up points and the problem went away
  • mccartsjmccartsj Member Posts: 5
    I did the same thing stevied5! I was thinking the same thing (maybe I got a lemon../maybe this is why I got a great price on this..) and I did the same thing - trying to figure out if it's the road on every vibration or noise. Alas, it has calmed quite down and is such a pleasure to drive. Now I look at it with pure excitement as opposed to that same disdain feeling I had before. I love the HL now.

-mccartsj
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Until the battery fails, is disconnected, or replaced, and the engine/transaxle firmware reverts to the factory default parameters. Some engineer has picked a default parameter on the "wrong" side of conservative, too far in favor of FE apparently.
    Well, I disconnected the battery at about 3,500 miles when I installed my Toyota tow hitch (you have to install a fuse and other electric components). It hasn't reared it's face after that, so I'm pretty sure that isn't an issue.
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    Titus Will is a dealer in the Seattle / Tacoma WA area
    It would help if people would specify year and engine !!!!!!!!!
  • cityhunter73cityhunter73 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I just bought a 09 Highlander Sport V6 that vibrates when cruising at 50mph and at under 2000rpm. Should I wait until I hit 1000 miles before bringing it in for check up? I have put 500 miles on it so far.
    You may want to wait a while. I am finding with our 09 HL Sport AWD that the shuttering at low rpms is subsiding. However, ours mostly shutters when going up hills between 30 and 50 mph at very low rpms. Only noticed it once or twice on flat grade. It will still do this on occasions but has greatly reduced. We now have 1400 miles on our HL. It seems by previous posts that it will go away completely when the vehicle logs about 4k -5k miles. So I am no longer concerned because ours has already gotten significantly better with only 1400 miles.

Someone here had there transmission fluid changed twice and said that seemed to help but I am convinced at this point that it has to do with the computer learning curve.
    This is exactly what has happened with my 09 AWD Sport. I currently have 5k miles and rarely notice any vibrations, if ever.

On another note, I have noticed a couple small dimples on a door and a both front quarter panels. You can see the dents in the reflections on the metal, but I can just barely feel the dent when I run my finger over them. I told the dealer, as I was disappointed because this car was brand new, and he said that it happens when they're tied-down to the delivery truck and some stress points appear and that it occurred to his own daughter's Camry as well. It's hard to believe, but then again, there are no scratches or dings in the paint in these spots, so i could somewhat understand this. Has anyone else experienced this?
    In transit cosmetic damage repaired/repainted somewhere along the way.
  • marty53marty53 Member Posts: 3
    Hi

I just bought an 09 Highlander with the I4 FWD and i also get the shudder right around 35 to 40 i only have 585 miles on it so like most on this site i will give it till 1000 and then take it back to the dealer
  • cityhunter73cityhunter73 Member Posts: 2
    Well everyone, I just thought i stop by to let everyone know after 1000+ miles on my Highlander it is now pretty smooth. I can no longer douplicate the issue. Just a few hesitation here and there but nothing worth noticing. I didn't see much updates on here so hope that everyone has the same luck. Please let us know your status. It helps to know that we are not alone. LOL
    Same here. Have 1700 miles on ours now and all is fine. Similar to what you said. This is my wife vehicle. She is completely happy with it now. I however have a few issues. The front seats are not all that comfortable for someone over 6' tall. Plenty of leg room but the seat cushion itself is to short, a bit narrow and slightly hard. So I feel Toyota designed the seats with women in mind not men. Good thing it's her car. I drive a Mits. Galant and the seat in that car are plenty long with good support overall. I think Toyota should have added a few inches to the length of the cushion and all would be well. Just my two cents.

Also, gas mileage in the cold MN winter is bad. Getting just over 15 mpg in the cold weather. We got at least 17 from our Honda Pilot in cold weather.

Other then that is a very nice refined SUV. The JBL stereo is great.
  • choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    The Limited has a neat feature on the driver's seat, called the thigh-support adjustment system. When activated, the seat cushion extends out several inches. Sounds like exactly what you would need if it was your car.

My wife has a Highlander, too. When I drive it (6' 2"), this option makes it an extremely comfortable ride!
  • bigmick77bigmick77 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all:
    I am another concerned owner of a brand new 09 Highlander AWD Sport. The second day I owned the vehicle, I noticed that the truck was shuddering. It took a few days to isolate when the shddering happens and I was able to recreate it by going up hill at low speed (less than 35-40 mph and dropping the RPM below 1800). Its at the dealership today and I will inform you all what the result will be. One mechanic at the dealership mentioned to me when the manager left that other Highlanders owners seem to be reporting the same issue. He believes it is a torque converter problem.

They will be checking electronics and the condition of the fluid first and I should have an answer tomorrow. For those of you who feel the problem goes away with driving it, I hope you are right. I put 2600 miles on this vehicle in 30 days and still experience the same problem from day 2. When I test drove the vehicle, it was on flat terrain so I did not pick up on it right away.

I'm real disappointed upon seeing others of you having the same issue. You'd think Toyota would be proactive about this given the recurrence.
    Hey Bigmick77. We only have 1800 on our Highlander and for the most part the shuddering has gone away. However, most of our driving is combined city and highway so the vehicle gets to experience all variation levels in driving. I think this helped the computer figure out the correct shift points. It seems this problem mainly happens when the rpms are to low for speed and grade. Now our HL seems to shift properly. I think it is a learning curve saturation for the computer. You need to drive in a variety of road conditions and over time the computer learns when to shift at the right time.

However, we do still experience a very minimal shutter only on a rare occasion now. It's mostly gone.

If they do isolate the issue for you, let us all of us know in case it becomes a more serious problem in the future. RECALL

Otherwise, for us, its a non issue since clearing up on it's own.
  • 1_4_jeeping1_4_jeeping Member Posts: 1
    Just joined the group. My Toyota is a 07 Highlander, 4wd V6 w/ 58,820 miles. My driving habits are average, I don't jump on the gas except for interstates, I start out slow but I like to drive higher speeds than most on the interstate.

I'm just below my 3yr/60k bumper to bumper warranty. I mention this because when I explained my problem to my local Toyota service mgr he noted that part of the problem might not be covered under the power train. Here is the problem. 1. When moving the shifter from P park to R reverse or D drive it jerks down hard (dealer things a foreign object like food or drink is to blame- I don't eat in the car). It also does it on the way back.
    The main problem I feel is going to be in the transmission. When driving up a hill the vehicle wants to lunge up the hill big or small, no smooth sailing for sure. Not a Lexus. It also does this when driving on the interstate, it drops back a bit then kicks in when you have the need to pass a semi trailer on a slight grade or on a flat surface, then changes into a higher gear with a pretty obvious gear change. If you really step on the gas, it hesitates then gets moving with less problems except for the gas you lost.

After reading these blogs, I'm a bit nervous. Am I going to be dealing w/this issue the life of the car? I've read them all and I didn't find any answer where Toyota is going to fix this shuddering, or gear lunging and I don't want to pay $4k for a rebilt or new replacement part that is going to do the same thing. Help please.
    A+B+C= ????

The torque converter lockup clutch is now being used in many more, most, of the gear ratios anytime there is no inordinant torque level (no climbing, towing, acceleration) required of the engine.

That has allowed the engineers to relax the coupling coefficient of the torque converter itself, higher stall speed, so less heat is generated at idle, improved FE.

Lower coupling coefficient at idle means having more of a need for "hill-start" functionality using the brakes.

All around more use of the lockup clutch means it must be more robust resulting in the need for a "seating" period for the clutch frictional surface.

Less efficient (smaller..??) torque converter allows room for 6(9) forward speeds.

Vicious circle, THAT..!!
    well i have 1589 miles on my highlander and the shudder has really gotten so much better almost gone. I am starting to really like my highlander now, i thought i got the one bad toyota. I guess the parts need to wear in and the computer learn the shift points.
    I now have about 2500 miles on my sport V6 AWD and the problem has gone away completely - so much so that I don't even give it a thought anymore. The shift patterns seem to have completely altered compared to how they were when new, e.g. I used to be able to drive the thing up a hill in 4/5th gear and the engine would labour at 1100 rpm causing it to vibrate. There's no way the computer would let that happen now, it changes down real early into 3rd and holds about 1800rpm at the same speed/same hill. I'm sure this has made my fuel consumption worse but you don't buy a truck 'cos you want to save money on gas. I'm just glad it sorted itself out and now runs like a dream.
  • patreeziapatreezia Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Highlander Ltd, which I bought new and have taken good care of. About 14 months ago it started leaking transmission fluid. Toyota did a very expensive repair (about $2000),to pull the tranny to replace a seal. Now it is leaking again, transmission fluid from the same place. Would welcome any suggestions. I really like this car,and was hoping to keep it a lot longer. When it developed the first leak it had only 61K miles on it. Now it has 74K. Help!
    Well i have 2400 miles on my 09 Highlander and the shudder has disappeared completely. It seems like it took this milage to wear the clutch plates in. Only complaint know is a piece of plastic that rattles on cold mornings, Live in the northeast and it has been very cold, hopefully this will go away with time and warmth.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    " I was able to recreate it by going up hill at low speed "

In the words of a famous American, "Don't do that." :)

These are great engines and want to run. Give them a little gas going up hills and if it downshifts, it downshifts, but at least the engine doesn't lug.

Lug = strain, shudder, ping, etc.

My father (hey, he's 88 today) would thump me on the back of the head if I lugged one of his cars up a hill. Engines don't run well at low rpm's.

My '10 Limited has 40 miles on it and the computer hasn't learned my driving habits yet. The same thing happened when I started driving my father's '06 Avalon with 6400 miles on it. It ran fine when I drove like he did. :)

John
    Anybody found a solution for the transmission kick when decelerating? I get this kick exactly when I get down to 20Km\h and the car decelerates from above 50Km\h. This won't happened if at 60Km\h I use the Over Drive OFF.
    I took my Highlander 2002, V6 3.0L to a Toyota dealer and I told them about re-flashing the ECM. They flashed this one and the Transmission Control Module for only $70. I could not believe that, but still, the problem was not fixed.
  • pacocpacoc Member Posts: 7
    Mine is the same model HL, same version. I had many troubles with the tranny and was only after I made a complete tranny oi replacementl, I mean about 11 qt to Valvoline semi sinth oil, that all issues went out.
    Mi advice is to stay away from toyota dealer, in my case they have not found any solution other than the regular oil and filter of the tranny. No way to solve troubles in that direction. I have almost 10 K miles after that operation and everything is fine.

Oscar
    Your HL is FWD, or at best F/awd, and the transaxle MUST upshift in order to lower the potential for loss of directional control as you reach low speed and should the roadbed be slippery. For this very same reason it will not downshift into 1st gear until you come to a full and complete stop.

So that feeling of being bumped lightly from behind as you slow to a final stop is actually a safety measure.
    My HL is AWD. Is this kick going to damage the transmission? This is what I am afraid of...
    The "kick", assuming we're talking about the low speed upshift, makes it easier on the transaxle.
  • ben69ben69 Member Posts: 1
    02 Highlander FWD 4 cylinder makes whirring noise when driving in 1st gear, then noise disappears in 2, 3, 4th gears. please help me
  • kskellinkskellin Member Posts: 1
    I have had my toyota for 1 year - 24,000 miles... 2 times I have encountered a problem when accelerating from 55 MPH to 60 MPH. When I go to 60 MPH, the RPMs revs past 4RPMs and can not go faster. I would stop, put car in park then back into Drive, and it fixed the problem. Dealer could not recreate problem. My concern is that my warranty will expire this year as I drive a lot and don't want to get stuck with a bad transmission.

Anyone else have this problem or could offer me suggestions?
    Well, I'm not sure. I have an 09 HL Sport with only 4k on it. When did the problem first occur? It seems that today with all the computer controlled functions on an auto these kind of weird situation happen more often.

My guess would be that the Rev/RPM limiter is acting up. This prevents the vehicle from going faster then allowed. For example, if your vehicle is capable of going 130mph that does not mean you can go that fast. A rev limiter of governor would limit your top speed to say 112mph. In your case this device may be malfunctioning do to computer error. Just a guess but you may want to have your dealer check it.

Good luck
    That might be SOP if you can get to 60MPH within a short time from starting the engine COLD. The transaxle will not shift into OD until the catalytic converter is up to operational temperature.

My RX300 is garaged and yet it will not shift into OD until I have driven about a mile.
  • miyahiramiyahira Member Posts: 2
    This site is wonderful! This is what you call consumer advocacy and protection! Information is power and safety!
    Got Toyota to address my hesitation problem because of the info i got here!

I have a 2008 Highlander. A few months after purchasing my vehicle, I noticed a hesitation in the car auto shifting in lower gears..very dangerous when trying to get onto the highway. Got worse as the year went by.
    I took it into my dealer 5 times ( so that i could have a paper trail) in the last 2 years and got the same old story that there was nothing wrong. I knew they had no intention of addressing my problem till the recent fiasco Toyota car deaths has had to deal with. Toyota the company is responsible for this denial. (The dealership I bought my car from has wonderful staff and tries hard to accommodate.)

I read what could be done here, took it into my dealer, told them what i read and that i would NOT take no for an answer on fixing this--re program the computer!!!!
    Last week the mechanic took me for a test drive with his laptop and reprogrammed the cars computer and my Highlander drives like new! Funny thing...He knew about this problem all along!
    THANK YOU to all of you GREAT PEOPLE out there that share info!!!!!

Jessie on Maui
    Be careful Jessie...

The reflash, firmware upgrade, only makes the re-acceleration downshift delay less likely to occur, it does not by any means eliminate it entirely.

The new firmware simply "watches" your actions on/with the accelerator pedal. If you release the pedal quickly the system will assume your intent is to use engine compression braking to more rapidly slow the vehicle and reamin in the lower gear you were just using for acceleration. Lift the pedal slow/easy and it will upshift just as it did previously.

So the danger from the re-acceleration downshift delay still lies there "quietly" waiting to cause you grief at a time when YOU do not foresee the need for a quick return to acceleration.
  • deestoyotadeestoyota Member Posts: 1
    I just had my seal replaced this past Saturday, June 26 on my 2005 Highlander with less than 63,000 miles on it. What made me do a double take was the lady right in front of me with a 2004 Highlander had the exact same repair. I was Lucky (?) in that I had purchased the extended Toyota Warranty when I bought the vehicle and I only was required to pay $50.00 of the $1175.00 cost. I am not surprised to see how many of these vehicles are having this problem and it seems that Toyota s/b recalling all of these $25k -$30k + vehicles to correct an obvious problem in the original product.
    What I am afraid of, is this going to happen again in another 60,000 miles?
    edited June 2010
    Your not alone when it come to vehicle seal issues. And it's not just Toyota. We traded in a 2003 HONDA Pilot EXL with 83k when we bought our 09 Highlander. The problem we had with our Honda happened at 69k. The front steering rack decided to start leaking at the seal that connects the tie rods. Honda did not make this a replaceable seal. It's pressed into the rack sleeve. So, guess what, we had to fork out over $1500 for a brand new rack with installation. I think the rack itself was about $800 or so. Really made me mad that a $20 seal was not replaceable. The repair also called for new inner tie rods that were also shot. We also experienced a leak in one of the radiator block lines. Bad seal again. Another few hundred. Oh, and we also had the struts replaced with the rack. (Leaking). Total bill for all the above was almost 3k. This is a reputable dealer who always show me the problem before any work is done. I called Honda corporate on the rack issue and they offered nothing. We take great care of our cars and live in the suburbs. No off roading or towing. Just normal driving.
  • miyahiramiyahira Member Posts: 2
    WWEST...Thank you for the warning! I really appreciate all the information. I haven't been on this site since posting the probable fix...

TRUE to your prediction....my vehicle is going back to Hesitation again!!

In fact, it now noticeably jumps ahead as it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear!!!!
    This is dangerous trying to get on to the highway!!!!!!!! I just put a call into my Toyota dealer.
    I'd appreciate any advice.
    On top of that my steering column started making a " ga-runging " noise every time I turned about 3 months ago. When i took it in to have them look at it, Toyota ordered parts to fix it and will do so free.
    This is horrible! I have a like brand new 2 year old Highlander that started having hesitation problems from the day i drove it off the lot and now steering column defect problems.
    I am so sad. I have been a Honda owner all of my life...This is my first Toyota.
  • sunnyseassunnyseas Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Highlander also had the transmission seal leak that the Technical Services Bulletin was issued about. I have 90,000 miles on mine. I contacted Toyota and asked them to meet me halfway on the cost of repair, which was quoted at $1600.00. Didn't hear back when the Toyota rep said they would call, so I called them again and was told there would be no assistance. When I asked how they determined who would be assisted, they replied that it is based on customer service records. "Loyal" customers, those who bring the vehicle to a Toyota dealership for every oil change/mileage preventive maintenance, etc, are considered for assistance. Doesn't matter how many Toyotas have been purchased~~one "loyal" customer in the service dept. trumps someone who has bought a fleet of Toyotas, but had them serviced elsewhere. Bottom line is, they get your service $$ one way or the other. I shopped various Toyota dealers and went with one that did it for $1400 plus gave me a free rental car for two days. It's done, but has left a bad taste in my mouth for a company that is spending thousands of dollars trying to repair it's reputation. Here's a novel idea for Toyota~~do the RIGHT THING and the customers and revenue will follow.
    FYI, expect the same from Honda. Rack seal went out on our 04 Honda Pilot last year at 76K. Did the same as you and called customer care. Same result as you. 2k repair I had to eat. Always took my car to the dealer for repairs. So my point is it's not just Toyota that does this sort of thing, they all do.
  • moonlight293moonlight293 Member Posts: 23
    It sounds like these decisions were made at the local level. Playing the devil's advocate here . . . one vehicle is a 4-yr old with 90K miles and the other is a 6-yr old with 76K miles. One dealer looked at the mileage and the other looked at the age. IMO.