Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    Steve_HOST... That "window" was a big reason I posted. Originally we were only going to buy the extended warranty from ToyotaWarranty.com, but when the dealer matched the price for the same thing, it seemed appropiate to buy it from them. They treated us fairly and have a good reputation. Unlike the other major dealers in town, I've never heard a complaint about them (and I've been in one part or another of the auto industry in this area for decades).

Mikefm58... I had read the warranty info in detail on the ToyotaWarranty.com site, which is why I got the Platinum instead of the Gold warranty. The dealer did mention that we could have the Toyota warranty or one offered by another company. Since I was prepared to buy online I wasn't interested in anything other than Toyota's warranty. The "money back" was something not offered by the dot-com dealer, and seemed like a good gamble on the face of it. I sent my DW to pick up and pay for the stuff, figuring no matter how bad it was, I'd be out $200 at most (since I was already to pay for the Platinum with no money-back guarantee).

We have already put into our calendars the date we'll need to apply for the refund, and already made copies of the paperwork, since it is mostly on carbonless paper and the writing will likely disappear before 4 years are up. Who knows, maybe we'll need the warranty and it'll be a moot point.

The REAL gamble would be if we need a $500 repair. Do we pay for it ourselves hoping no other repairs will be needed before 100,000 miles so we can get $1370 back?

Phil
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Try ordering the cover from Toyota. My spouse did the same on a Mercury Cougar and I was able to order the cover only, and, in the color to match the car. Just snapped one off and the other on. May not be the same on the Toyota of course.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "The REAL gamble would be if we need a $500 repair. Do we pay for it ourselves hoping no other repairs will be needed before 100,000 miles so we can get $1370 back?"

At $500, I think you use the warranty. If you paid for the repair, you're now out a minimum of $500 if you don't need another repair. If do you need another one, especially a larger one, now your warranty has cost you $1870.

You bought the warranty to protect you against repair bills, not to loan the dealer $1370 for several years at 0% interest in the hopes of never needing a repair.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Personally, I'd use something other than Crazy Glue. It's fairly brittle, and while strong, it has zero "give". I'd try a silicone-based adhesive because they are strong, and can "give" a little without breaking. Plus, they are available in black, white, and some other colors as well. You can experiment with blends, too - i.e., mixing black and white to get gray. Just my 2 cents.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I broke the inner mirror housing on my minivan a few years ago and I've used epoxy to fix it (I've had to reglue it about 3 times now). My break isn't visible though and I'm gluing mostly pot metal.

Steve, Host
  • phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    Yeah, I'd prob'ly use the warranty after thinking about it, however the other factor in that decision would be "how close" to the 100,000 miles or time limit we were at the time.

I'm still optomistic that I won't need any repairs at all anyway. The vehicle has been about perfect so far and I hope it continues.

Phil
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter with a major national magazine is looking for a few car shoppers who are in the process of searching for a car and are deliberating between a hybrid and conventional vehicle. He would be interested to talk to people considering the Toyota Highlander and/or RX400h.

We are also looking members who went through similar deliberations but have already made a purchase, including the Ford Escape, Honda Civic, Honda Accord or the Toyota Prius. Please send a brief description of your experience along with your contact information to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com by Thursday, March 10th.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    I'm due with baby #3 in Sept. and am stressing a bit about where to put all 3 kids. Our 2005 Higlander does have the third row but it's been folded down since the day we purchased it.

We're contemplating popping up the third row, putting 8 yera old DD there, folding down the passenger side 2nd row seat and putting 1 year old DS and the newborn on the drivers side and middle spots.

How safe is the third row seat? I'm assuming it doesn't have LATCH (which I don't need for her booster seat anyway) but I worry if we're ever in a car accident how that third row would hold up. I am going to try to cram three seats in the middle row but need another option just in case.

Thanks!

Carrie
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    There was an article in the Boston Globe a few months back on this issue. If I remember correctly, there are no studies that show the third seat to be more dangerous than the other seats but there is a lot of speculation as to why this is the case. Is it because the third seat is not occupied nearly as often as the other seats? Is it because very few studies have even tried to address this issue? Common sense tells me that passengers in the third seat are more likely to be injured than those sitting elsewhere if you are rear-ended simply because there isn't a lot of space between the rear bumper and the seatback of the third row seats in most vehicles that have a third seat. But on the other hand, if you rear-end someone else, the passengers in the third seat are farthest away from the action. In terms of broadside accidents, one thing to consider is the availability of side airbags for the third row seat. I don't think Highlander offers this option, but I may be mistaken.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Highlander does not offer side airbags for third row seat. The Globe article stated the writer's opinion that there should be 2 feet between the 3rd seat and the hatch oprning.
  • dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    For those with 2003 Highlanders w/ 3.0 V6, can you give me an idea of the average gas mileage you are getting just driving around town?

We may have a chance to get a nice pre-owned 2003 and it has the 3.0 motor and was curious if there was difference in gas mileage from 3.3 in current HL's. I didn't see much difference in hp from the 2005 I drove with the 3.3 motor and don't think there would be big gas mileage difference either but curious. This forum has been so helpful in our quest of buying a vehicle. Thanks
    Here's a 3.3 AWD data point: around town, all short hop, mostly sub-freezing temps 14-15 mpg. Summer highway cruising, 70-75 mpg, 22 mpg. Around town really isn't much better than our 1996 Explorer we traded on the HL.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Hi dawnee... I have a 2003 V6 2wd Highlander. We drive around Tucson, AZ. For reference, it is a town with about 750,000 population, most destinations are with in 10-15 minutes, not any significant stop and go, virtually no freeway driving, most average speeds are about 30-35 (some up to 45) day time temperatures are 60-80 degrees winter,(no A/C use) 90-110 summer (definate A/C use!).

Winter (AZ winter!) and summer city MPG 20-21
    Winter and summer Highway MPG 22-23 (this represtents 75-80 MPH on trips of 450 to CA)
    WORST city MPG was 19.5
    BEST was 21.9
    I always drive till the tank is under 1/4 full, then fill up completely, dividing the miles driven since last fill-up by gallons put in.

Interesting to note, the insurance costs for this vehicle, are much less than our 2003 Camry...virtually makes up for the difference in MPG between the two cars, in fact, we love the Highlander so much, we are considering trading the Camry for a 2005 Highlander.

Hope this helps!
    By the way, we have 25,980 trouble free miles.

Jeff
  • vatrojanvatrojan Member Posts: 3
    I own an 03 2wd Limited and have very similar gas mileage stats as Jeff reports. Twenty one around town, 23 on the highway.

No change in gas mileage with the addition of Michelin Cross Terrains, but a much better ride and much safer than the Goodyear's in poor weather. The Goodyear tires are junk.

Although the 3.0 is an excellent engine, I would try to buy a newer model with the 3.3 because it has the 5 speed automatic. On the highway at speed, that would make a very positive difference. (Not that the 4 speed is a disaster, but I also own another vehicle with a 5 speed, and I can tell the difference).

My Highlander has 32,000 trouble free miles. My wife and I are VERY happy with this vehicle.
    So maybe we should consider looking at the 4 cyl model since we are used to getting about 22-23 mpg around town and probably 26 mpg hwy with our Olds van. Just wasn't sure I would be happy with less power than our 3.4 V6 but don't want to get something that ends up worse on gas. And since every vehicle varies, getting a 6 cyl could mean we get less mpg than people who were nice enough to respond are getting. Anyone who has driven the 05 4cyl that can give insight on gas mileage, please respond?

Thanks Jeff & Vatrojan for the info. I really appreciate it.
    Dawnee...I also considerd the 4 cyl, because I was concerned with the gas mileage. However, I decided that the lower resale value of the 4 cyl would prpbably more than negate any fuel mileage savings. Just a fact that more people want the 6 cyl in this type of vehicle. The value of the 4 cyl at resale time will be reduced, just becaue there is a smaller audience for it. Just my opinion...

hope this helps

Jeff
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    will it be fully redesign?
  • sams_6sams_6 Member Posts: 15
    V6 AWD. Had it just a few days.

A few things I don't like:
    1) window switches and cruise controls are not illuminated. I test drove during the daytime and wouldn't have noticed this.

2) radio station seek from steering wheel controls is difficult to seek through entire dial. Have to press a button for a couple of seconds, wait for audible beep, then let up. Upon finding a station all the steps need to be repeated to find next one. I assumed the seek would work just like the seek button on the radio itself.

3) can't see odometer and trip meter at same time.

4) Driver armrest too close and narrow to be useful (I'm 6'1" 200lbs).

5) some of the doors and lids to various storage cubbies seem kind of flimsy. Time will tell how well they'll last.

A few things I wish it had/did:
    1) ability to control ALL windows and sunroof from driver-door lock. My 1994 Audi can do this. My 2005 HL can only control the driver's window with the key.

2) tailgate window doesn't open. My mistake for not checking this feature though I would have still bought vehicle.

3) external keypad to open door without key ala Ford SUVs. Handy.

Some things I find puzzling (all might be my misunderstandings):
    1) can't figure out how to turn on the cabin lights from the dashboard. Thought that twisting the odometer reset stem clockwise until it hits the detent would perform this function, but it doesn't seem to do anyting. Anybody know what this action actually does do?

2) when CD is in changer, even if the last thing I was doing was listening to the radio, each time I start the car it switches back to CD.

3) instructions for initiliazing the tire pressure monitor seem confusing.

Things I like:
    1) smooth and quiet ride
    2) plenty of acceleration
    3) engine very quiet at idle
    4) doors feel and sound solid when opening and closing
    5) braking
    6) view through windshield

To conclude - the important features like ride and power are way above average and amongst the main reasons I bought this vehicle (plus reliability). I had considered the Pilot (I liked it quite a bit also) but it was larger than I needed and a little noisier.

I'm looking forward to a long and pleasant experience with my new Highlander.
    Thanks Jeff. That is something that I had not considered and since I have a vehicle now that has low resale, I don't want to go down that path again.

Dawnee
    I'm not sure that resale on the 4 cyl model would be disproportionately lower than the original cost differential between the 4 and the 6. However, if substantially fewer 4 cylinder models are sold new, then you would expect substantially fewer potential buyers as a used vehicle.
  • rpell46rpell46 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

I just noticed your question regarding gas mileage. I have an '03, 4cy. 4WD now with 15,000miles on it. In REAL City driving, I average 17 and if I hold 60-65 on the highway, the best I've gotten so far is 26. Again, keep in mind that this is a full time Four Wheel Drive vehicle, which most definately affects MPG. However, the pick-up, acceleration and all around power of this 4cyl. has surprised alot of people in my family, including my sons who are into high performance vehicles; and the other son that drives an Expedition with a 5.4 liter and "tuned" exhaust. They can't get over this 4 banger. The way I drive up my son's snow covered and very steep driveway at his mountain hope truly amazes him. This driveway is about 300 feet of unpaved hillside. My wife, two huge dogs and I spend alot of time in the mountains upstate and really enjoy the HL's 4WD capablilies.

In cold weather, it warms up VERY fast and is MUCH quieter than the Honda 4 cyl. I had in my last car.

So far, I am very happy with my HL and have no real complaints. Like most other owners, there are always some things you would rather have or wish were done differently. But, did you EVER see a perfect vehicle?

Good luck.
    I have an '04 FWD 4-cylinder Highlander. Overall gas mileage has been just over 25 mpg for the first 15,000 miles. I don't notice much difference driving on the highway versus in town, probably due how wind resistance affects a vehicle with this profile at 70 to 75 mph.

I would agree with macmil about resale value. The 4-cylinder costs thousands less than the lowest mode V6 to begin with, and I can't see the 4-cylinder being worth less than a V6 a few years down the road in terms of percentage below original purchase price. And with gas prices on the rise again, I think there always will be people interested in 4-cylinder vehicles.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I just bought a 2002 HL Base 4-cyl. There is plenty of power for me, and I can cruise at 75 or 80 on the e-way if I care to. At those speeds, it still very quiet inside. I'm very happy with this powertrain, and as gas prices go up this summer, I'll be even happier. Does anyone really believe we won't see $3/gal in the next year or so? So far I've gotten between 19-23mpg per tank for mixed driving.

Yes, I paid less for it than I would have paid for a V-6, so the previous owner didn't get a lot for it. But he probably paid $3-4k less than he would have for the V-6 initially. So, I think it's a wash there. Plus, around here in So Cal, you can't find a V-6 without a lot of added options that push them close to $30k, but you can find a Base 4-cyl around $24k, and buy one for about $23k. The Base model has everything I need anyway, and I actually prefer the manual 6-way seats over the power seats.
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    My 03 V6 FWD Highlander has averaged exactly 19.93 miles per gallon over the 25,000 miles I have driven it. This figure is mostly city driving with 2 trips to Michigan and 2 trips to Ohio.
  • gman5gman5 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2004-4 cylinder 4WD Highlander last July, and have been averaging about 22 MPG mixed driving. The one time I drove for an entire tank on the highway I got the stated 25 MPG.

Note that we test drove the 6 cylinder, and felt it was too much like a truck. I do not miss the extra power at all (it feels more like a car, which is what I wanted). Just be sure to get a 2004 or later model (it was revamped to get 10 extra HP).
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone know the right Toyota oil filter to use for a 4 Cyl FWD 2005 Highlander. The manual does not mention a part number. Auto part web sites mention a # A6000-116736 but my dealer used a 90915-YZZA1.

Thanks,
    -Ken
    My dealer (Acton Toyota in Acton, Mass.) has used the oil filter with the same part number that your dealer used. Mine is a 4 Cyl FWD 2004 Highlander, but I don't think they made any substantial engine changes for 2005.
    Thanks Hertzogtum, this was at Rockingham Toyota in Salem NH. Seemed like the right one, I'm just confused over all the wierd numbers. -Ken
  • lewglewg Member Posts: 1
    I change the oil every 3000 miles on my 2003 Highlander. Brought in for 7500 maintenance and felt like I paid for nothing. Except for oil change, I haven't done anything to the vehicle. I now have 21000 miles. I don't want to pay $300 for some one to inspect the belts, hoses etc. What is necessary and can I have Toyota do it without paying exorbitant amount of money?
    "What is necessary and can I have Toyota do it without paying exorbitant amount of money?"

A $300 amortized over 21000 miles really isn't very much. OTOH, I suspect this is a very profitable service for the dealer since all those inspections probably don't take more than 30 minutes. You could ask an independant shop what they would charge or even another Toyota dealer. Some dealers charge more than others for the same service.
    IMO, you should follow the "Maintenance booklet" that you should have received with the car. not anything the dealership gives you. If you don't have it, you can go to the Toyota web site and get the same information there.

Regards -Ken
    Hi all! We have been so happy with our 2003 HL NON-Limited V6 fwd, the we just bought a 2005 Limited to add to the family. We now have 2 Highlanders. I was a little concerned about the reports of hesitation in the new 3.3L w/5 spd automatic versions, but we were unable to duplicate that in any of the numerous test drives. Perhaps my driving style is such that it doesn't manifest itself, or ??? For those of you that experience it, I certainly hope that a resolution is found, as I have definately experienced "issues" on other vehicles that the manufactures were unwilling to admit to and rectify. Anyway, in my humble opinion, this is one of the finest vehicles available.

Our 2003 is Gold, and the new one is Salsa red pearl, a real beauty! I think we got lucky, as the tires are Michelins, rather than the so/so Goodyear Integritys that we have on our 2003, and have seen on many of the 2005 Limited's that we drove before deciding on this one.
    "...but we were unable to duplicate..."

You will probably experience the hesitation by decelerating from 40 down to 15-20 (going around a corner or slowing for a light) then trying to accelerate quickly back to 40 or so. On our 2004, it is not consistent and ranges from barely noticeable to somewhat annoying. It doesn't make me like the car any less and my wife, the primary driver, has never even mentioned it.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Naw. I've tried all the maneuvers mentioned on this board including your 40 down to 15 and going around a corner a tromping on it and it does not occur in my '04 V6 AWD. Face it, some have it and some don't. The question in my mind (and hopefully Toyota's) is why!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    it somehow has something to do, relates, to how you "manage" the gas pedal as/when you're coasting down. Some people release the gas pedal entirely while others may "feather" it lightly during coastdown.

Or then again what if the driver is somewhat "hesitant" as s/he coasts forward waiting for an opening in traffic to merge into?

Coasting, gas on, coasting, gas on, coasting.....aha, now, quickly, zoom into that opening!

What, No ZOOM??!!

I think that's probably why the dealers are saying that left foot braking has something to do with the hesitation or as a minimum exacerbates it.

Obviously someone that brakes with the left foot would have a higher likelihood of "resting" their right foot on the gas pedal during coastdown.

I'm amazed at the number of vehicles I see cruising down the freeway with the brake lights on continuously. But I'll bet the brake shops love them.
    I was able to replicate that one by starting up from a full stop and immediately making a very sharp right turn under heavy acceleration. Keep in mind that my RX300 is of the 2001 model and so shouldn't be expected to act exactly the same as the models reporting the hesitation symptom.
    "it somehow has something to do, relates, to how you "manage" the gas pedal as/when you're coasting down"

I think you're right. I never noticed it until almost 6000 miles and it still doesn't happen every time in the expected situation. And when it does happen, it's sometimes worse than others.
  • natharnathar Member Posts: 10
    I test drove a V6 AWD, but all the extra "options" that come standard on all the V6 AWD's pushed the price up too high for my taste.

How's the acceleration on the 4 cyl AWD? I really want AWD because of the weather around here, and I like the standard stability assist that Toyota has on all the HLs (Pilot only has it on the versions with leather).
  • jackmick656jackmick656 Member Posts: 61
    Has anyone had any luck buying decent seat covers for an 03 HL? Any help will be appreciated.Thanks.
  • alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    I know it's the same platform, but I was wondering just how different mechanically the Highlander is from the RX 330?

My best friend owns an RX330 and I've driven it some. I was surprised on the Toyota website that let you compare the HL to the 330 and the HL has some advantages due to less weight.

Does the HL and 330 feel pretty similar behind the wheel?

Thanks.

Dean
    I suspect the most of the differences are in the non-mechanical components, e.g., interior materials, switchgear, etc. I think the drivetrains are virtually identical. There are probably some differences in shock valving to make the RX ride better. You'll have to test both to see if it's worth the $7K premium.
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    I drove both and found the RX to be a bit softer and, IMHO, a bit more wallowy. I felt less in control of the RX than I did with the HL, because the HL felt just a bit more firm. I also preferred the HL's wide-open rear view to the RX's sloped back, which made the whole interior darker and felt more claustrophic.

Just my two cents. I initially leaned toward the RX, but after driving both, chose the HL. The Limited version is still quite luxurious.

You'll have to drive both yourself, of course, to decide which you prefer.
    If you can afford/justify the RX then you likely can afford a spring rate (and Lowering?) upgrade.
  • scottnrosescottnrose Member Posts: 47
    I am coming up on the 15K service interval on my 2004 4wd HL LTD. Therefore, I explored the Toyota recommended service items listed in the maintenance log:
    1. replace engine oil & filter
    2. rotate tires
    3. re-torque drive shaft bolt
    4. visually inspect brakes
    5. inspect a lot of other stuff

I can easily do 1,2,4 myself. Does anyone know what amount of torque should be applied to the drive shaft bolt? Could you please share the ft/lbs amount?

I don't drive in heavy traffic, nor off-road, nor in desert areas, nor do I tow. I think that the price of this service is a lot for what you get in return.

Any other thoughts or comments? Thanks.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    As you said you can easily do 1,2 and 4 yourself or have it done at a non-dealer shop that you trust. It will cost a lot less than at the dealer. There are 4 drive shaft flange bolts about under the shift console and another 4 in the rear. I torqued all 8 at 54 ft-lbs. (per Toyota factory manual.) I did this at 15k and haven't done it since. I now have 76K. I question if this is really necessary.
  • mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know if the 2005 HL Limited automatically locks its' doors either when shifting out of Park or when reaching a certain speed? Is this a C-BEST option? Thanks!
  • wgraferwgrafer Member Posts: 592
    Hey, I'm really interested in a 160HP 4 cylinder Highlander vs. the 3.3 V6 due to gas mileage of 22/27 for FWD, BUT... Although I drove one at the dealer today, and it did fine on local roads here in FL, can anyone comment on how the 160HP 4 handles mountains and highway speeds with a decent load? We travel with a full load in my 2002 Explorer from Fl to NC mountains regularly, and we also towed 12' loaded trailers at times, but I realize that is beyond a HL 4 capacity. I think the HL 4 would be great around local and local flat highways, but could it handle mountains and long loaded highway trips??
    I bought my HL 4 CYL FWD to replace an Olds 88 205 HP V6. I find that for driving around Massachusetts roads the acceleration of the 4 Cyl is adequate although not nearly as good as the Olds (that's about the only good thing, the Olds was otherwise junk). Soon after I purchased it I found myself driving to New Jersey through the Merritt Parkway and much more mountainous terrain. The Highlander would shift continually into a lower gear and rev up to about 3200 RPM with the cruise control set to 65 MPH., then settle back down to 2400 RPM on a flat surface. I found that a little annoying although I guess (I hope) not damaging to the engine. The car burnt no oil in 1800 miles when I took it in for it's first oil change.
    In short if you like acceleration especially in hilly environments, you might find it a little lacking. The gas mileage over the Olds is great though and true to the EPA ratings from what I can tell.

Regards and safe driving,
    -Ken
  • scottnrosescottnrose Member Posts: 47
    Mikey00 - much thanks for the advice on the drive shaft bolts. I will do this myself, along with the other items mentioned (at least this first time and monitor for the future). Are the 8 bolts hard to reach? Or do they require a special fitting on the end of the torque wrench? Thanks again.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    Only need torque wrench and socket. I forget the size.