Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• babbs3babbs3 Member Posts: 50
    Hey Chuck...you are right on with every point! When a person has a car that doesn't have tranny problems they think the rest of us are making it up. They also say "oh all mfg. have problems with transmissions.huh? Neither ford or GM will fess up to buying poorly built trans. The reason is...there percent of bad ones aren't high enough and no one has died (there have been accidents though). Chuck you know your cars and you certainly like GM but wrong is wrong. So it is refreshing to point out the obvious...quality is important.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I don't think those with problems are making them up. These power trains ARE NOT the smoothest.

However, my issue is because some are upset (as I would be too) is the half-truths or sometimes outright lies that get put on this forum.

I guess it's their way of getting "revenge".

I will continue to do the "half truth alerts".
  • jjacksjjacks Member Posts: 16
    Chuck boy, if you are saying people are lying, including myself, then maybe you should carry your little self on over here and I'll make a believer out of you. You're not a mechanic and just because you got lucky and got a decent one, that doesn't mean everybody else is out for revenge and spreading lies. Pathetic.
    Babbs, I think you have me and chuck confused. I'm the chevy man without pom poms, Chuck is the honda guy with pom poms. Thanks
  • super6sierrasuper6sierra Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2009 with a 5.3l, 6speed, 4x4, 3.42 rear end. It came with the Z71 package and has the 18" wheels. I have been having problems with the transmission and I am wondering if anyone else has experience similar problems. 55k miles.
    Here is what happens.
    When I pull away from a stop, it shifts very, very quickly (under normal driving, when I hammer on it, this doesn't happen) down into 2nd and third gear...it goes to 2nd before I even make it through the light. So, when I want to then bring it up to speed, it is already locked down into usually 3rd and wants to stay there unless I go past probably 3/4 throttle, at which point it jumps down violently to what feels like 1st. Seems like it is tuned very, very aggressively for mileage. Very, very annoying as it does that all the time..so neighborhood/slow speed city driving really stinks. Tranny is very confused. If I put it into tow/haul, it stays in gear much longer and there is no issue. Seems like it might be tuned for an engine with much more torque or a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end.

2nd. When slightly rolling (1mph or less) and then trying to accelerate, there is a slight 1/2 second delay, then the power kicks in and everyone's head jerks back. I have to be very, very, very gently on the pedal and feather it through this until the engine/power engages. This seems like it might be a throttle issue or something to do with the fuel delivery. Does this truck have a throttle cable, or is it electronic?

3rd. Problem. Towing. Under hard acceleration (not w.o.t., but well past 3/4 throttle) and towing 2k--4K trailer, there are multiple times where the tranny "jumps" or slips in between 2nd-3, 3-4, and 4-5. Engine revs slightly and it jerks into gear. Again...seems confused.

I have had this truck to the dealer for warranty work on tranny. There are no codes. They could find nothing. I explained everything to my dealer as I have in this post. It is due to go in again. I checked tsb's and couldn't find any that seemed to be related to the issues I am having. HELP

2 times ago at my dealership they gave me a 2012 as a loaner. Totally different truck even though it had the same engine and the same tranny and the same rearend (3.42). Clearly the 2009 needs an updated tune , but GM refuses to both acknowledge this and act on it. Help. Somebody. Please.
  • alcianfarinialcianfarini Member Posts: 11
    I have posted several times about my 2011 that has the same transmission problems. Returned to three different dealers and they all say the same thing "it's normal for the transmission to be erratic because it is tuned to save gas". Funny, I went from a Yukon with a 4 speed automatic to this 6 speed and it was never disclosed to me that I would hate driving this new truck! The gas mileage increase in minimal, maybe a half a mile to the gallon. GM, PLEASE FIX MY TRANSMISSION, for $50,000 the truck should be a dream to drive!
  • redneckwcfcredneckwcfc Member Posts: 3
    have the same issues with my 06 and i'm with the fire dept, they said the same thing to me. it's normal ...sorry to say good luck. i complained and it didn't get me any where
    edited April 2012
    "When I pull away from a stop, it shifts very, very quickly "

The first gear in the 6 speed is a VERY SHORT gear. It will shift from 1st very quickly. That's what it is supposed to do.

"3rd. Problem. Towing. Under hard acceleration (not w.o.t., but well past 3/4 throttle) and towing 2k--4K trailer, there are multiple times where the tranny "jumps" or slips in between 2nd-3, 3-4, and 4-5. Engine revs slightly and it jerks into gear. Again...seems confused."

Use "tow-haul mode". It will hold on to gears longer. Under hard accelerating, more often than not it will downshift more than one gear.

"Seems like it is tuned very, very aggressively for mileage."

Yes, it is.

It seems a longer test drive would have been in order for you. You shouldn't have bought the truck.

Except for the "JERK" you are describing, the truck is acting exactly as it is designed.
    Chuck, once again, you aren't a mechanic, are you? The short gear ratio has nothing to do with the shift points as he described. Most likely he is describing a downshift from 3rd to 2nd, as those ratios are very close to a 2nd to 1st in a turbo 350 transmission. Or in the alternative, an upshift from 2nd to 3rd. My transmission is in 3rd gear at 10 mph. The 'cant seem to figure out what gear to shift to' while towing is a flaw. My transmission has had some off the wall excessively high shift points under moderate acceleration.

"You shouldn't have bought the truck". No, GM should fix their junk, period. If the same transmission acts right in a 2012 vs 2009, 10 etc, then there obviously is a software/hardware/hardparts issue. Deal with it.

Sarah, if you are reading this, I've been back by the dealer twice, and supposedly the GM rep is due by the dealer next week. There has been no decision on the howling differential and vibrations so far. My patience is wearing thin, and if it comes to it, I will tear into it myself. If I do, it will be made public via website or youtube or wherever. i know ive been there at least 10 times so far. Ridiculous.
    edited April 2012
    What he is describing to me is normal operation, regardless of your interpretation, thoughts, occupation and opinions, etc.
    edited April 2012
    Chuck, once again, you aren't a mechanic. You've never rebuilt or modified the internals of any kind of gm transmission. I have. The 'cant seem to figure out what gear to go into while towing' is not normal operation. I know EXACTLY what he is describing. It's not normal, not correct, not an opinion, and whether you like it or not, is a problem to be concerned about.

Frankly, I just wish your Honda would have been 1 year model earlier as the prior 2 years to yours are known for transmission failures around 100K. Shouldn't be, but do fail just like clockwork. I don't know if the software update that Honda is doing on the 2005-10 accords, approx. 1.5 million cars recalled, fixed that '05 '06 problem. I believe the recall was for a lot of the same complaints found on this forum.
    "I just wish your Honda would have been 1 year model earlier as the prior 2 years to yours are known for transmission failures around 100K."

Your right. Except I have the 4 cylinder motor. The 6 cyl. motors was the one that had the tranny failures.

The still had issues until the last couple of years in the mini vans and Pilots.
    That's too bad, I was thinking you had a six banger for some reason. Then when your transmission took a dump, I could tell you that you shouldn't have bought it and that was how it was supposed to work, especially since it made it past the warranty period.
  • whychevywhychevy Member Posts: 1
    I'm new here but i've been reading about this issue spanning back about a year. I have the same issues with my 2011 and in my opinion the truck just has no guts. Has anyone got anywhere with GM on this issue with the transmission or found an aftermarket upgrade? Its degrading when a Kia passes you up a hill. Gm should be ashamed if they think this is acceptable.
  • babbs3babbs3 Member Posts: 50
    Sorry about the kudos to the wrong guy. I just agree with the person who thinks wer have been takiing it up the @## with the lousy 6sp auto Asian trannies. If its a Ford or a GM it is still bad. There just is no excuse for the companies to NOT admit their mistakes. I feel besides the engine, the trans. should be perfect. I know that the US has made a few bad trans. but hey we should be the leaders in transmission design and stop buying trans. just because theyre cheap.
    Over a dozen trips to the dealer and a few phone calls, still nothing yet. Have waited now over a month on 'Diane' I think her name is for some type of 'go-ahead' to tear into it for an inspection. Diane is the area GM rep and supposedly submitted it to some 'engineers' to see if they have encountered these problems before or if there was some type of 'hush hush' non-public bulletin out. So far nothing. If the weather holds this weekend, I'm dropping pans and covers, checking backlash, joint clocking, looking for metal, etc.

And I don't even want to bring up the part about the 'road force' tests that didn't do squat other than scratch and dent up two of my wheels. Thanks for that fine piece of work, gm certified tech.
    edited April 2012
    "And I don't even want to bring up the part about the 'road force' tests that didn't do squat other than scratch and dent up two of my wheels. Thanks for that fine piece of work, gm certified tech."

If he damaged your wheels doing a road force balance I would talk with the service manager.
  • strevs86strevs86 Member Posts: 1
    Just to start...chuck maybe you should go get another Honda. Anyway, I ironically just bought a 2010 1500 LT 6 spd from a Honda dealership and I wish I would have found your post jjacks before I did. Having the exact same problems, like I wrote your list myself. I just want to say you sound more intelligent then the "master craftsman" at the GM dealership who told me just try driving it in TOW MODE!!! because I really want to get 8 mpg. I just want to know if these problems are a nuisance or if they are serious mechanical problems? I still have the power/tran warranty so I want to get this stuff checked out and some more knowledge would be great when I go to a different dealership. (because knowledge is power!)

I am an Avionics Tech for the Air Force and as far as #6 on your list I think your right with the stray volts going to the adjustable peddle. The guy who wired your truck was probably having a bad day.

Thanks
  • old_and_bustedold_and_busted Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 sierra. i was wondering if brake pads for a 2004 suburban will fit on a 94 brake caliper.
  • galvezfjgalvezfj Member Posts: 12
    Ok I finally got the truck to the dealer last week and got it back today. Dealer states cause of issue "K7254 R&R 2-6 clutch-disasemble, tac case 71-1064497549, clean out as per tac replacement clutch pistons due to scoring, flush lines, coole v-body. Truck now runs as smooth and shifts normal
  • shawn2eshawn2e Member Posts: 5
    they did that to mine twice along with changing a stuck silinoid and now it shifts as smooth as a lexus!!!! they have a tsb about this and never perform it!!! even with the bad seal in the trans that leaks all of the fluid into the tc!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Outstanding! Thank you for the update, galvesfj, and I'm so happy to hear this.

Many happy miles,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    nothing is fixed. GM rep did a 'ride along' and gave the go ahead to do the ring and pinion. After the 'super duper' technician informed me that there wasn't a backlash spec for the side gears/spider gear clearance.....I typed up the specs and delivered it to the dealer. Guess what? Still out of spec, new ring and pinion was quiet for about the first 50 miles. Now....worse than it was. Transmission decided to slip about a half dozen times since while doing the 2-3 shift.

SO, put the truck on jack stands, turned off the traction control, and viola....still got the shakes, whines, and backlash clunk. (With the front tires stationary....which was supposedly the culprit all along).

Drove a '12 chevy with the identical driveline and it didn't have that mysterious pedal movement. Apparently that is the anti-lock brakes re-booting/system check.

Long story short, not a damn thing fixed. Supposed to meet with GM rep this week. They're gonna replace it or they can supply me with a permanent loaner.
    I am curious what the problems were that this "K7254 R&R" fixed. I have had issues for 30,000 miles on mine and (see previous posts). My dealer finally looked into TPS, and intake...cleaned mass air sensor and replaced the filter, this helped a TON...not the engine makes the power it is suppose to (apparently oil all over the M.A.S.), but the tranny issues have not gone away...still shifts down WAY to early...doesn't fall flat on its face as bad now (2 weeks of driving) but it is still not cleared up. Could my tranny (2009 6speed, 5.3l, 3.42 rear end) be suffering from the same as "Galvezfj"'s tranny? I have had it to the dealer 6-7 times and been on this forum since last fall trying to find out what to do with this. Please help!

(P.S.-- if there is a forum monitor on here, please remove Chuck1's posts...no help and clearly has zero benefit on this forum except to just tick people off with real problems...thank you)
    im sorry to hear that you been getting the run around with your truck. i was pissed off when it happened to me after buying it new and it was doing it straight from the lot with 2 miles on it. My dealer did a good job and took care of it because thier transmission tech said it wasn't normal to shift down that hard. I made sure when i took him on the sit along ride it shifted hard so he would see what i was talking about. mine was all under warranty. i just dont understand how the valve body and piston pins could be scored with nearly no miles on the truck
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jjacks,
    Thank you for your updates on your situation. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • el_hoppyel_hoppy Member Posts: 43
    my 6th visit to the dealer in 14 months and my transmission is still rubbish. 7K miles on it now and the latest solution from GM was to undo all the re-programing they have done to date and start over in hopes my transmission can "learn" how to shift.
    its worse now then before.
    a tech at the dealer told me to avoid any stop and go traffic and it will shift fine.
    REALLY?

a very disappointed customer.
    Christina,

I'll keep it in mind, but I'd like to know what you can offer that hasn't already been covered on my end. You can contact me directly ..... jon@stockhub.com .

GM's corporate governance has really poisoned the well with me. Of all the new gm cars/trucks that I have bought, this vehicle has more problems than all those combined.

I refuse to take a bath on this thing after waiting patiently for months. I suppose the thing that pissed me off the most is the 'policy' from GM technical assistance NOT to supply the dealer with hard parts until the vehicle has reached a certain amount of mileage. I was told 5,000 miles was the 'break-in' period. In other words, GM's policy is not to fix squat until a customer has endured 5,000 miles of problems. The supposed way to override said policy is to get a GM rep involved. I did....which I shouldn't have to bend over backwards, and say 'mommy please' to a GM rep to get the nod to fix my vehicle. The powers that be best clean house on that policy since it is a 'precondition' to warranty that is not stated in the limited warranty that accompanies the vehicle. I would direct them to the language in the Magnason-Moss Act, 15 USC 2301, the Texas DTPA, etc. And you wonder why you are losing market share, jeez.

How many vehicles do you think you could sell if the warranty said "3 years or 31,000 miles, because you have to drive it 5,000 miles to get certain things fixed, so we are really not offering 'bumper to bumper' coverage for a certain amount of time beginning at the moment you drive it off the lot" .

To put it bluntly, if GM wants to 'dig in' and knock heads on this, so be it. The truck is one thing, the deceptive warranty is another. They've had 5 months to resolve it and I'm not going to wait another 5 months. We'll be in court neck deep in discovery to flesh out these 'policies' by that time. Good luck with that.
    edited June 2012
    There are people with real problems on this forum and I try to help them. But there are many people who are so upset at GM they tell lies and especially half truths.

This doesn't help anyone either. It also doesn't help Edmunds who promotes vehicles of all types and makes.
  • coach2413coach2413 Member Posts: 30
    @chuck1,
    I think the real issue is not anyone other than you and GM telling half truths and lies to cover up mediocrity of new Gm trucks.
    Lets be totally honest here. The issues that are being brought up are known issues with the NNBS trucks. No secret to anyone who follows GM trucks.
    Customers are using these forums to try and convince GM to do as they did in the OLd Gm way and take care of them and their vehicles.
    Having owned Gm for 40 plus years I am so disappointed in GM that I am at the point of buying from a competitor.
    The solution to all the rhetoric and forum posts would be for GM to very simply take care of warrant able issues as they arise and the customers would have nothing to complain about.

So GM, let's get 'er done.
  • coach2413coach2413 Member Posts: 30
    can you site the TSB number? it would be helpful to thousands of GM truck owners
    All I can say is keep a chin up. I'm in the middle... I've gone through four transmissions in 42k in less than 5yrs, but I'll admit I still have my truck. I'll even admit that I'll keep her until the warranty runs out. But once all of that runs out like any other person I think I'm going to want a new truck. Who knows if it's going to be another Chevy? All of us took a chance in buying the truck, it comes with buying any truck out there. I just hope everyone out there ends up getting what they want. I'll have to say, I've had all three trucks from the big three and I still find more comfort in my truck now than any other. I would just be happy if GM would lifetime warranty my transmission! Then I'd keep it forever! =)
    shawn2e,
    I'm sorry to hear that your transmission has given you so much difficulty on your truck, and it sounds like you're in the middle of some current transmission troubles? Have you already worked with Customer Assistance in regards to these issues?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Sarah,

They wanted me to return my truck and swap it out for another one and I didn't want to. I explained to them I just wanted it fixed.

As long as it keeps running I'm happy! ;-)

Maybe when the warranty runs out Chevy will have a new truck rolling out for me to go and buy? :-)
    If you're happy, I'm happy! :shades:
    Let me know, though, if I can ever answer any questions or help in any way. I'll be happy to do what I can!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    edited June 2012
    Hello Sarah,
    Well i had my truck back for a little over a month now and it stated acting up again. This time the transmission is dis-engaging when shifting between 3rd and 4th gears. feels like the clutch is still engage and im in neutral for about 5 seconds before 4th gear kicks in. I can even rev the engine during these 5 sec with no foward movement. Im starting to regret my decision to buy a silverado and should have stuck to toyota which i have 3 vehicles from. This is becoming more of a headache after spending 42k on a truck that doesn't work properly. truck is more a little over 3 1/2 months with 4k miles on it.
    Good evening galvezfj,

Thanks for the update, even though it isn't a happy one. If we can get a Service Request set up for you on this, please send the following information our way at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. A brief description of the situation would also be helpful as my coworker Christina answers inbound emails and this will help her understand the context.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • earlybird6754earlybird6754 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    1996 gmc sierra 1500 350ci automatic. Shifts through all gears great with no hesitation, noise, vibration, etc. Problem: if you floor it for rapid acceleration to pass or whatever, you can hear the tbi open up and fuel dumps in, but it actually SLOWS down....it will not "drop down" into overdrive. However, once you let off of accelerator and fuel stops dumping in, it runs fine. Again, in automatic or manually, all gears shift, act, sound, feel, etc. normal; it just won't kick down into lower gear. Whether you're in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear, it will not shift down automatically.
    All fluid levels and conditions are good. Vehicle did sit up for nearly 2 years and only driven 50 miles, maybe. Did perform a transmission flush, drain and refill fluid. I'm thinking pressure solenoid, valve body vacuum, or trans control module. Any ideas, suggestion, etc. will be GREATLY appreciated. Working with limited financial resources, so I can't afford changing out parts which aren't bad. Need all the help possible. Thanks.
  • earlybird6754earlybird6754 Member Posts: 2
    so i emailed her and this was her response

Thank you for taking the time to email me with your concerns. I see that you have a previous case (71-1065018870). I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. There isn't much I can do. If you need further assistance I would recommend contacting 866-790-5600 extension 11040.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service

I am sure this will be my first and last time i buy a GM product. These issues have left a sour taste in my my mouth. 2 transmission issues within the first 4000 miles and 4 months. This silverado will be traded in as soon as i can and going with my original choice of a Tundra.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Have you checked with your local BBB office? Lemon law vary by state. However, the one common denominator is the three repair rule. The manufacturer has three attempts to fix the problem, if it is not repairable for whatever reason, the BBB can be instrumental in getting you a buyback which is way better than trying to trade or sell a truck with known issues.

Just saying....
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    galvezfj,
    I understand your frustrations. Due to your situation and concerns as well as the department you have worked with, there isn't a lot that I can do. They are better quipped to handle your situation. I apologize for your inconvenience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lisa117lisa117 Member Posts: 1
    I too am having transmission problems but was told it has to do with the torque management system on the vehicle. Also, I was told that no repairs could be made to fix it and that I should consider it to be normal. I bet if it was their money on the line they'd want an investigation done. It's a potentially serious mechanical problem as well as a safety issue.
  • alcianfarinialcianfarini Member Posts: 11
    Keep trying, I complained so much, sent a certified letter to the ceo of GMC, finally the district manager called and offered to buy me out of my 2011 and into a 2012. I am still waiting for the dealer to locate an identical truck but hope to get results soon. The truck is dangerous, it actually accelerates as I'm slowing down and it is always in the wrong gear constantly up and down shifting and bogging because it won't accelerate when necessary! Keep screaming or we will need a class action law suit!
    I have posted on this before. My truck is at the shop again. I am pushing them to look into the TPS this time. I continue to have downshift/re-acceleration issues with my 2009 GMC Sierra 5.3l 6-speed 3.42 rear end. Very, very, very frustrated. I have an open case number and talk with GM reps...they are very professional, but absolutely no help. The dealer is great...the problem is GM engineers...they need to come up with a fix for this known problem and known issue. I pay a ton of money for this truck and it is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned (bought in '10 with 12K on it). I now have 69K on it.
    there are no codes...which renders the local dealer mostly helpless as they try to fix the crappy programming of the TPS, TMS, and Transmission. The loaner vehicle I have this time is a 2012 Colorado with the 5.3l in it and a 4speed. Oh, how I miss the 4 speed. This little truck rocks...seems so much "less confused" than my Sierra.
    I drove a 3.5l EcoBoost the other day...WOW. Ford has that thing dialed. Makes it pretty hard to want to stay in this GM product. Don't get me wrong...I really, really like my truck. Like how it looks, interior, power, fuel economy...but when I have been driving a vehicle for 30K+ miles and continue to bring it in to the dealer to fix a very, very serious drive ability issue and they are left stranded by GM who, with all their R&D and techy know how can't seem to program the thing to run correctly...well, quite frankly, it sucks rocks.
    Should be getting a call today from the dealer. Will let you know if whatever they "fix" this time changes anything.
    Jake
    MN
  • frankie15octfrankie15oct Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply! I actually figured this would just get lost in cyberspace. I will email with info. I also still have the same problems only progressively getting worse. I am planning yet another trip to Dominion Chevrolet Richmond, Va. very soon to look at these problems. 13,000 miles and I want documentation before my warrent expires or runs out.
  • Lady3bgloverLady3bglover Member Posts: 24
    Definitely sounding like a solenoid issue. If you've never replaced that on your stock transmission, I'd suggest getting on line to GM Parts Giant, GM Parts Direct... one of those should have your solenoid.

The R&R will be tough if you don't have a trusted transmission person that will do the service without telling you "you need to check this". A tale-tell sign is if the transmission fluid is it's pretty ruby-red, and there's no sediment, get the solenoid changed. The R&R shouldn't be more than $100 if you have the part. Call the stealership and get the part number, and roll from there. If the fluid is in good shape you should be able to re-use it.

Let me know how you make out.
  • Lady3bgloverLady3bglover Member Posts: 24
    edited July 2012
    If they're going to give you a "deal" on a new buy, ask for the LT package. It has a little better transmission, and if you're in the need to tow something, all the goodies will be there.
  • aggrivated1aggrivated1 Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2012 6 speed that is not running correctly. Especially going down a hill or mountain. The trans just goes into free wheel mode and here you go. Pulling a trailer going down hill is always my favorite idea of fun.

I have called GM and setup a case on it and they are playing the normal games of nothing wrong with it. Like you said if it was there dollar I bet it would be fixxed or taken back.
    I finally got my truck back 2 weeks ago. So far its running as it should have when it was purchased. Dealer found pump and converter full of metal on the rebuilt transmission. GM finally authorized a transmission replacement on my not so new 2012 silverado lt 5.3 6 speed 4x4 z71. Now im hoping it will last longer then the last one (2k miles). Im not holding my breath and I contacted a lawyer.