Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• coach2413coach2413 Posts: 30
    can you site the TSB number? it would be helpful to thousands of GM truck owners
  • shawn2eshawn2e Posts: 5
    All I can say is keep a chin up. I'm in the middle... I've gone through four transmissions in 42k in less than 5yrs, but I'll admit I still have my truck. I'll even admit that I'll keep her until the warranty runs out. But once all of that runs out like any other person I think I'm going to want a new truck. Who knows if it's going to be another Chevy? All of us took a chance in buying the truck, it comes with buying any truck out there. I just hope everyone out there ends up getting what they want. I'll have to say, I've had all three trucks from the big three and I still find more comfort in my truck now than any other. I would just be happy if GM would lifetime warranty my transmission! Then I'd keep it forever! =)
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    shawn2e,
    I'm sorry to hear that your transmission has given you so much difficulty on your truck, and it sounds like you're in the middle of some current transmission troubles? Have you already worked with Customer Assistance in regards to these issues?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • shawn2eshawn2e Posts: 5
    Hi Sarah,

They wanted me to return my truck and swap it out for another one and I didn't want to. I explained to them I just wanted it fixed.

As long as it keeps running I'm happy! ;-)

Maybe when the warranty runs out Chevy will have a new truck rolling out for me to go and buy? :-)
    If you're happy, I'm happy! :shades:
    Let me know, though, if I can ever answer any questions or help in any way. I'll be happy to do what I can!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • galvezfjgalvezfj Posts: 12
    edited June 2012
    Hello Sarah,
    Well i had my truck back for a little over a month now and it stated acting up again. This time the transmission is dis-engaging when shifting between 3rd and 4th gears. feels like the clutch is still engage and im in neutral for about 5 seconds before 4th gear kicks in. I can even rev the engine during these 5 sec with no foward movement. Im starting to regret my decision to buy a silverado and should have stuck to toyota which i have 3 vehicles from. This is becoming more of a headache after spending 42k on a truck that doesn't work properly. truck is more a little over 3 1/2 months with 4k miles on it.
    Good evening galvezfj,

Thanks for the update, even though it isn't a happy one. If we can get a Service Request set up for you on this, please send the following information our way at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. A brief description of the situation would also be helpful as my coworker Christina answers inbound emails and this will help her understand the context.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • earlybird6754earlybird6754 Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    1996 gmc sierra 1500 350ci automatic. Shifts through all gears great with no hesitation, noise, vibration, etc. Problem: if you floor it for rapid acceleration to pass or whatever, you can hear the tbi open up and fuel dumps in, but it actually SLOWS down....it will not "drop down" into overdrive. However, once you let off of accelerator and fuel stops dumping in, it runs fine. Again, in automatic or manually, all gears shift, act, sound, feel, etc. normal; it just won't kick down into lower gear. Whether you're in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear, it will not shift down automatically.
    All fluid levels and conditions are good. Vehicle did sit up for nearly 2 years and only driven 50 miles, maybe. Did perform a transmission flush, drain and refill fluid. I'm thinking pressure solenoid, valve body vacuum, or trans control module. Any ideas, suggestion, etc. will be GREATLY appreciated. Working with limited financial resources, so I can't afford changing out parts which aren't bad. Need all the help possible. Thanks.
    so i emailed her and this was her response

Thank you for taking the time to email me with your concerns. I see that you have a previous case (71-1065018870). I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. There isn't much I can do. If you need further assistance I would recommend contacting 866-790-5600 extension 11040.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service

I am sure this will be my first and last time i buy a GM product. These issues have left a sour taste in my my mouth. 2 transmission issues within the first 4000 miles and 4 months. This silverado will be traded in as soon as i can and going with my original choice of a Tundra.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Have you checked with your local BBB office? Lemon law vary by state. However, the one common denominator is the three repair rule. The manufacturer has three attempts to fix the problem, if it is not repairable for whatever reason, the BBB can be instrumental in getting you a buyback which is way better than trying to trade or sell a truck with known issues.

Just saying....
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    galvezfj,
    I understand your frustrations. Due to your situation and concerns as well as the department you have worked with, there isn't a lot that I can do. They are better quipped to handle your situation. I apologize for your inconvenience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lisa117lisa117 Posts: 1
    I too am having transmission problems but was told it has to do with the torque management system on the vehicle. Also, I was told that no repairs could be made to fix it and that I should consider it to be normal. I bet if it was their money on the line they'd want an investigation done. It's a potentially serious mechanical problem as well as a safety issue.
  • Keep trying, I complained so much, sent a certified letter to the ceo of GMC, finally the district manager called and offered to buy me out of my 2011 and into a 2012. I am still waiting for the dealer to locate an identical truck but hope to get results soon. The truck is dangerous, it actually accelerates as I'm slowing down and it is always in the wrong gear constantly up and down shifting and bogging because it won't accelerate when necessary! Keep screaming or we will need a class action law suit!
  • I have posted on this before. My truck is at the shop again. I am pushing them to look into the TPS this time. I continue to have downshift/re-acceleration issues with my 2009 GMC Sierra 5.3l 6-speed 3.42 rear end. Very, very, very frustrated. I have an open case number and talk with GM reps...they are very professional, but absolutely no help. The dealer is great...the problem is GM engineers...they need to come up with a fix for this known problem and known issue. I pay a ton of money for this truck and it is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned (bought in '10 with 12K on it). I now have 69K on it.
    there are no codes...which renders the local dealer mostly helpless as they try to fix the crappy programming of the TPS, TMS, and Transmission. The loaner vehicle I have this time is a 2012 Colorado with the 5.3l in it and a 4speed. Oh, how I miss the 4 speed. This little truck rocks...seems so much "less confused" than my Sierra.
    I drove a 3.5l EcoBoost the other day...WOW. Ford has that thing dialed. Makes it pretty hard to want to stay in this GM product. Don't get me wrong...I really, really like my truck. Like how it looks, interior, power, fuel economy...but when I have been driving a vehicle for 30K+ miles and continue to bring it in to the dealer to fix a very, very serious drive ability issue and they are left stranded by GM who, with all their R&D and techy know how can't seem to program the thing to run correctly...well, quite frankly, it sucks rocks.
    Should be getting a call today from the dealer. Will let you know if whatever they "fix" this time changes anything.
    Jake
    MN
  • Thank you for your reply! I actually figured this would just get lost in cyberspace. I will email with info. I also still have the same problems only progressively getting worse. I am planning yet another trip to Dominion Chevrolet Richmond, Va. very soon to look at these problems. 13,000 miles and I want documentation before my warrent expires or runs out.
  • Definitely sounding like a solenoid issue. If you've never replaced that on your stock transmission, I'd suggest getting on line to GM Parts Giant, GM Parts Direct... one of those should have your solenoid.

The R&R will be tough if you don't have a trusted transmission person that will do the service without telling you "you need to check this". A tale-tell sign is if the transmission fluid is it's pretty ruby-red, and there's no sediment, get the solenoid changed. The R&R shouldn't be more than $100 if you have the part. Call the stealership and get the part number, and roll from there. If the fluid is in good shape you should be able to re-use it.

Let me know how you make out.
  • Lady3bgloverLady3bglover Posts: 24
    edited July 2012
    If they're going to give you a "deal" on a new buy, ask for the LT package. It has a little better transmission, and if you're in the need to tow something, all the goodies will be there.
  • I also have a 2012 6 speed that is not running correctly. Especially going down a hill or mountain. The trans just goes into free wheel mode and here you go. Pulling a trailer going down hill is always my favorite idea of fun.

I have called GM and setup a case on it and they are playing the normal games of nothing wrong with it. Like you said if it was there dollar I bet it would be fixxed or taken back.
    I finally got my truck back 2 weeks ago. So far its running as it should have when it was purchased. Dealer found pump and converter full of metal on the rebuilt transmission. GM finally authorized a transmission replacement on my not so new 2012 silverado lt 5.3 6 speed 4x4 z71. Now im hoping it will last longer then the last one (2k miles). Im not holding my breath and I contacted a lawyer.