Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• aggrivated1aggrivated1 Member Posts: 3
    Has any one here in the forum thought about or tried to put true duals exhaust on a 6.0L to see if it helped in the performance and fuel mileage. I cannot believe that with all the technologies we have and a 2012 GMC 6.0L 6 speed transmission will only get 14MPG. Thats on a good day along with the no power issue. I am waiting to see what GM is going to do.

As far as I am concern they can buy it back.
  • lchaney33lchaney33 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2012 1500 with the 6.2 and the 6 speed transmission and have had nothing but problems since I picked up the truck.

I feel that not only are the issues aggravating but also quite dangerous. I have found that I can not change lanes and expect the truck to accelerate without a HUGE amount of lag time.
  • Lady3bgloverLady3bglover Member Posts: 24
    What did you do about the Cat converters?
  • johnsontrevor1johnsontrevor1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought that same model truck. Transmission already playing games and the truck doesn't even have 1500 miles on it.
  • aggrivated1aggrivated1 Member Posts: 3
    sounds about right. Mine right off the bat was surging on take off. Now when you hit third gear at a some what normal speed then try to accelerate it sound like it is struggling badly. Bogging
  • galvezfjgalvezfj Member Posts: 12
    Take it back to the dealer and complain. I took my truck in and had a ride along from the transmission tech. He's the one that said "Yes the truck is not shifting properly". Then i got a call from 866-790-5600 ext 11040 his name is Houston. He's a customer support rep that help me get my transmission replaced in my Truck. Hope this helps you. I went through the original and a rebuilt tranny before i hit 5k on the truck.
    This is where I have seemed to get responses from GM getting them to act on warranty.

https://my.chevrolet.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1

Back in '02 no long after I bought my Silverado, it wasn't the transmission yet. It was the lifter tap. I actually had a Regional GM Representative make the trip to the dealership and assess my truck's issue.

So go register your car and be heard.">link title
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    galvezfj,
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with GM Customer Service. :-) I am happy to hear you are satisfied after working with us. Please feel free to contact me with any questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Is there a posted TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on issues with the 2011 and 2012 6spd transmissions?
  • alcianfarinialcianfarini Member Posts: 11
    There is a service bulletin, my service manager printed and gave it to me. They are all aware of the problem but refuse to fix it. Apparently GM had to increase the average gas mileage of all trucks so they made the 6 speed and have it shift prematurely to lower engine speed and increase the mileage. Keep complaining to your dealer and then start sending certified letters to the CEO of GM
  • sharp06shootersharp06shooter Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem with my 09 sierra 5.3. im driving come to a stop then thump 4 seconds then thump and another 4 seconds then another thump then nothing. trying to see how many more ppl have this problem and if you have any info on this problem i would like some feedback.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "There is a service bulletin, my service manager printed and gave it to me."

AND what does it say?
    I have the same issues with my 2012 GMC Yukon. I was told it's supposed to shift that way to increase fuel efficiency. I have my truck in the shop right now, this is the final straw. If they don't get it to drive properly I will have no other choice than to get a "Lemon Lawyer" I think GM should recall all of these trucks and replace the 6 speed with the old reliable 4 speed.......how about a class action suit!
  • el_hoppyel_hoppy Member Posts: 43
    I would be interested in the lawsuit.
    my truck is almost 2 years old and its been doing this crap since the day I bought it new.
    it been in the shop more times then I can remember and told the same 2 stories. " its supposed to make noise and shift hard, its designed that way" OR " what noise? what hard shift?"
    my last trip was to a new dealership that admits there is a problem but will not put it in writing.
    figures.
    YOU STILL SUCK GM!
    STILL AN UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER.
    Has anyone registered their vehicle with GM on line and gone around the dealership? I've mentioned this before... This system works.
    Hello, please elaborate on house you "went around" the dealership.
    El Hoppy-

We have all heard numerous times how unhappy you are. Buy a Ford F150, RAM, or Tundra and move on.....
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    The old reliable 4 spd auto is no better. My tranny went at 62k, 5 years ago :sick: . 2000 3/4 ton (7200gvw) Silverado 5.3 auto w/overdrive. My trans shop said unless you bought the heavy duty trans option all you were getting was the same tranny found in a Camaro. He rebuilt it with stronger torque converter and upgraded the brain to a Corvette module to quicken the shift. $1800 out of pocket. 95k so far on odo.
    Would I buy another GM product........NO ! and I tell that to anyone I meet on the street when they talk about buying one. Besides they have gotten pretty ugly in design to boot. Is Dodge or Ford any better? don't know their design dept has more going for it then GM's bland look, but that will be my next choice when I am ready to buy new again.

Ray T
  • timidtempertimidtemper Member Posts: 3
    Bought my truck used from a Dealer in Arizona. I live in PA. What a mistake that was but thats another story. I bought a 2010 silverado 1500 with the 6.2L 6 speed 49,000 miles. The first trip I took as soon as I got out of my driveway the Tranny slipped and the engine just reved and went nowhere. As long as you babied it it would run just fine. So I take it to the Dealer they flushed the transmission thinking it was there for service and called me and said its all done everything is working perfectly. I said a flush fixed the slip? what slip? he replied. So they did tests and talked to a GM tech and decided to put a new valve body in it. I told them I smelt the clutch burning and it wasnt the valve body but GM knows best. So it didnt work and they tore the tranny apart and found a crack in the sleeve that holds the discs releaving pressure, fixed parts and on my way I went 2 weeks later. Now it lags when shifting from a dead stop to second gear and any time it has to shift down a gear going up hills or passing somebody. Took it back to the Dealer and they had it another 2 days just to tell me theres no codes coming up and we dont know what to do, my best GM tech says to put a programmer in it to see if that helps the tranny being confused because I have 35" tires. I said thats all good and fine but 35" tires arent gonna make my tranny temp go to 223 degrees when going up hills is it? He said no thats high temp but we are at a loss. I asked him does the 15 brand new vehicles you have on the lot with the Rocky Ridge package with 6" lift with 35" tires do this? no reply just we dont know.
    Timid Temper doesn't your model have the 65e and 3.73 rear end?
    I maybe able to shed a little light for you.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon timidtemper,

We're sorry that there has been difficulty diagnosing your transmission concerns with your Silverado at your dealership. If you want for us to follow up on this with them, or help you locate a dealership to get a second opinion from on this, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN and approximate mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • sadcanucksadcanuck Member Posts: 3
    I have had the same problem since buying my 09. Keep taking it in and they keep saying that nothing shows up. Now the truck is burning oil, which seems to be another problem they are having with these trucks. They have changed the head gasket, the deflector gasket and are probably going to change the pistons and rings as well. This is being done to Sierras and Silverados on a weekly basis at the dealership I go to. They did 15 in September.
    Tranny...now I know there is a problem, since I found this forum. I do not know why (well I do..they hope that people do not catch the problem until after warranty runs out) they cannot just come to the plate and fix the problems.
    Yes I believe so, codes in the glove box say both 342 and 373 gears but I believe the 6.2 is a 373. And what light would that be? Im all ears!
    Dont know about burning oil yet cause since I bought it 2 months ago its been at the dealer more than my garage. But the engine knock on cold start up is insane. I noticed the engine knock befor but I usually park in my warm garage, but when I work night shift and go out in the morning at 45 degrees I thought a rod was coming through. Dealer says thats normal too. Then I had him cold start it after I left it there over night and he said ya theres deffenetly something there but we need to fix the tranny first and put that on the back burner. I have a 3 month 4,500 mile warranty from the dealer bumper to bumper so If him holding off ends up screwin me ill be one pissed off man. Dealer wont cover unless its diagnosed not a factory waranty issue.
    Good morning sadcanuck,

Given your username, I am supposing that you are from Canada? If so, and if you wanted to get in touch with Customer Assistance for your region for them to check into this further with you, GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

• angrygmfanangrygmfan Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2010 Silverado 1500 with the Rocky Ridge package. I recently had to take it to the dealership for a new cam and lifters to be installed because of the knocking noise. Then I had to take it back again for a new front crank seal that was leaking. Before this I have had 3 wheel sensors replaced on my driver side front. Now, a week after the cam and lifters I am beginning to feel my transmission slip, especially early in the morning. I bought it brand new and it has 42,000 miles on it. It has never seen mud or anything like that.
    It is the biggest piece of junk I have ever bought. Before this I had a 1982 silverado, a 1986 silverado, and a 1999 silverado Z71 with had 290,000 original miles on it. This truck has really let me down
    Timid, I just busted my 169k mi cammed and heads 02 Silverado , and instead of going new model I dropped an LS2 with LS6 heads, true performance DD. I wouldn't have done it any other way. I know my truck like its my glove. I have complete hands on. I love my Chevy ....
    Good morning angrygmfan,

We're sorry to hear that you've had these difficulties with your Silverado. If you would like for us to check into this further with you and your dealership, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealer).

• jarodkleckjarodkleck Member Posts: 1
    My 09 Silverado with 6 speed and 41,000 miles on it is doing the same thing. After you back up and put it in drive it will either act like it is out of gear and just rev the engine and not go anywhere, or make a terrible grinding noise and sound and act like you are driving over a cattle guard. Sometimes when coming to a stop from a low speed it also grinds and jumps. I have almost been hit several times because when I go to take off from a stop, it just revs and doesn't go anywhere, then it will finally kick in. Its like it gets stuck into neutral or something. Not happy at all about this.

I have also had the issue with the truck burning oil. I have had it in the shop about 15-20 times for them to check on how much it burns. Usually 1.5-2 quarts per 1,000 miles driven. So far they have changed out the valve covers on it and that is all. Not too happy about this issue either.
    Good afternoon jarodkleck,

It looks like you've been doing the oil consumption work with your dealership (unless I've misunderstood your post); had you already started a Service Request with Customer Assistance? If you would like to get one of these files set up to document your concern and allow us to check into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage and the name of your involve dealership).

• lieschliesch Member Posts: 2
    any body having problems with the chevy 4 speed auto in their silverado? goes like this ,i got 10,000 miles on truck with 4.8 engine , when you start it up as soon as it starts a loud clunk comes from tranny .(know its tranny had friend underneath while starting).while driving same clunk comes from tranny when slowing down to go around corner and it downshifts from 2nd to 1st (about 10 to 15 mph) now your foot is off to gas to go around corner when you step down slightly to move on there is like a dead spot then it jumps forward like you have the pedal halfway down.sound familiar to anybody ? haven't had to dealer yet just trying to gather some intel for this battle since i read many complaints on the 6 speed auto ,miss my old ford never gave me a problem
  • gtp3800gtp3800 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 silverado ext. cab with the 4 speed/4.8, 28k miles and have the same issues. Sometimes when starting the engine, I can hear and feel a bang or clunk in the drivetrain/tranny. Also the drivetrain clunks/bangs at times at the 2nd to 1st downshift and 1st to 2nd shift. There is one particular right hand turn that I drive everyday where I let off the gas to slow down going in to the turn and have to wait for it to "clunk" before stepping on the gas pedal again... happens every time. Another issue that I have with this truck that is not only annoying but down right dangerous is that when driving at low speeds like through a parking lot in 1st gear the rpm's seem to hang for a few seconds after letting off the gas pedal and the truck is still accelerating until the tranny shifts. I have owned several GM vehicles over the last 20 years and never had to put up with this crap. GM needs to get it's act together.
    liesch and gtp3800,

We see you're both having a "clunk" sounds with your 2011 Silverados. If you were planning on working with a dealership and wanted for us to check in on this further with them, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• ceb66ceb66 Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2012
    Are the 2012 Silverado Sierra Yukon owners having the same multiple issues with their 5.3 liter 6 speed transmissions as the 2009, 2010 and 2011 owners.

The Silverado Sierra Yukon clunk, slip, lag growl and occasional bang around 45 mph as the transmission and computer fight to decide on the proper gear?

Or did the mountain of complaints about the earlier models prompt GM to correct the 2012's?

If they corrected the 2012's during production, what did they do? Can't they do the same (aftermarket) for the 2009 2010 2011 Silverado Sierra Yukon owners?
  • lieschliesch Member Posts: 2
    man i hope so i know alot of people that dropped alot of cash to have gm turn their back and say its normal, kicking myself that i didnt find this site before i bought mine
    GM sells 40,000 units a month. Where are the "mountain" of complaints? Are you talking the 12 people on this board?
    Sierra Silverado Yukon Escalade clunk.
    Do any owners of these 2012 GM trucks have transmission issues like the 2009 2010 2012 owners?
    If yes, let's keep this issue at the forefront, i.e. the top of Edmunds' (and others) complaint list on their Forum.
    Nothing's even close in numbers on the Sierra Silverado Forum in regards to complaints.
    2012 2013 Sierra Silverado Yukon Escalade buyers, ask your salesman if the 5.3 liter 6 speed clunks lags growls or bangs around 45 mph. My 2011 does. And it's annoying as....
    edited October 2012
    The number of complaints is represented by the same 12 people such as your self posting over, and over, and over, and over again.

GM isn't going to do anything about it. Thus far, it doesn't affect long term reliability. If the transmission self destructs-you have a 100K power train warranty anyway.

Either accept it, or buy a Ford F150 (many transmission issues), a Tundra (bed bounce issues) or a RAM that have historically had their share of problems.

Pick one and move forward.
  • timmerc1timmerc1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello i just had my gmc sierra transmission go out! I was driving back from drill and i went to pass a other car, when i hear a loud ping! then i looked back and seen white smoke everywhere! i was able to get off the highway and took a look, and it looks like were the servo was broke and spilled all the parts out! It looks like the case part just give up? i still have a power train warranty left, i hope i can get this fixed under the warranty? but is this a coming failing part of the transmission case? I love my GMC but if this is going to give me problems down the road i would like to know? it also seemed like i was always greasing the yoke once every 2mo's. To keep it from clunking at stop lights? :sick:
    Hello timmerc1,

We're sorry to hear that you're encountering transmission concerns; it looks like you'll be working with your dealership given your warranty status. If you want for us to look into this further with you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more information, including your name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership.

Sarah at GM Customer Service...

I truly appreciate you stepping up and taking initiative in taking care of the transmission issues that these GM Clients are having. I'd be lying to you if I told you that I didn't have one in my '02 Silverado... b/c I did. I was lucky enough to have a GM Regional close enough for me to grab to assess my truck's illness, and have it taken care of.

I still have the same truck, but I've blown through more than a few transmissions b/c of racing. Matter of fact I bought a GM 364ci crate motor, and wouldn't have had it any other way.

Regards... Lady3bGlover aka GM Junkie
    Good morning Lady3bGlover,

Thank you for your kind post! We do all that we can in these situations; unfortunately it isn't always a perfect resolution for everybody. It's great that you're enjoying your truck and we hope you enjoy many more happy miles!

edited October 2012
    Ask your salesman if the 5.3 liter six speed clunks growls lags bangs lunges when stopping...

Drive it at 45 mph on level ground and determine if the AFM growls in and out of 5th and 6th. Drive at that speed for a few miles and see if there is an occasional bang as the computer picks up the slack in the driveline.

Then, check the top of GM truck forums like this one. The transmission issues on these new trucks is in the top discussions on more than one.

Ask your salesman if they've had complaints!
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    edited October 2012
    They sell 40000 units a month ceb-yours slams bangs whatever. BUY ANOTHER TRUCK AND MOVE ON. You have the same 12 people posting the same comment. How many times have you posted the above comment? HOW MANY?
    Ms. Sarah..

What I don't understand is why the problems with the 6spd trans? I did have some nominal problems with my trans on '04, and it was taken care of. From reading a good number of the posts, the trans pump seems to be the issue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I may be so bold and make a suggestion, because of the smoothness of the GM transmission's shift, why not tune the shift points a little later in the RPM's. and let the customer get the full advantage of the 5.3's power?

And for those who don't know, the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 liter engines are all the same block, just different bore. So there are more than a few parts that are interchangeable.

I'm on my 2nd engine, and there are more happy miles on the way!!
    edited October 2012
    Sierra Silverado Escalade Yukon buyers, make sure you thoroughly test drive these trucks before purchase. The 6 speed 5.3 liter AFM drivetrain/powertrain clunk and slam like crazy on my 2011. The 2012s and 2013s have the same tranny motor combo. GM knows about it but won't correct it on earlier models. Not saying the new ones do it. Just saying drive and ask!

Hopefully this gives a potential buyer a "heads up."
  • lchaney33lchaney33 Member Posts: 2
    The very simple answer is fuel mileage, that is why we have to deal with a lot of the problems.
    edited October 2012
    The 2012s and 2013s have the same tranny motor combo. GM knows about it but won't correct it on earlier models. Not saying the new ones do it. Just saying drive and ask!

Hopefully this gives a potential buyer a "heads up."

HALF TRUTH ALERT

Your not saying they don't either. You don't know if there have been any ECM or transmission control updates on the 2012s.

BTW CEB-If in fact there are still a few issues-I am sure the Chevy salesman will tell you "Oh Yea, we got these things lined up in the service entrance"!LOL!

And you can't tell any issues from a short test drive.
  • lm69000mileslm69000miles Member Posts: 1
    my silverado 5.3 /4 speed auto Z71 same odd shifting problems 70,000 miles.setup to tow never towed dont live in the hills and i take exilent care of my truck. 3 and 4 gear out dealer dont now why .$45000.00 GM says sorry you need a GM certafied rebuild.Was thinking about a new truck not GM i also purchase a few trucks for my company they.I talked to GM they dont care not sure why ? maby they sell to many trucks and dont whant our busness
  • angrygmfanangrygmfan Member Posts: 3
    2010 silverado 1500 with 43,000 miles. The tire monitor system sensors are already messing up. This is probably the 10th problem I've had since I bought my truck new. Not worth the $50,000 I paid for it. Spends more time in the shop than on the road.