Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    have you had the filter changed ???? some shops will use silicon on the pangasket blocking the 2-4 exhaust hole which will cause servo problems....if there is silicon on your pan gasket get it off 2-4 band failure will happen if you dont
  • bigt442bigt442 Member Posts: 6
    I have the pan off and will move the bolts as you say. If you have a picture that would be great. Thanks for the quick responce.
    5 minutes check my photo album the location for the 3 bolts are in yellow paint
    Thank you very much!!!! :shades:
    Fordfan 17
    Just wanted to let you know it worked. You are the man and thanks so much for the help. I will pay more attention the next time.

Thanks
    np at all... hope i helped you give me some ranking :) lol j/k
  • jdesrosiersjdesrosiers Member Posts: 2
    i have a oo sierra with 5.3. its slipping in reverse like its not totally engaging i can hear it go into gear but wont seem to grab. this is the third transmission i have put in and really cant afford to do it again. any suggestions
  • bbbtrixiebbbtrixie Member Posts: 3
    I wrote before but never got any feedback so I thought I'd try again. My truck occassionally shifts really hard into 2nd gear. It seems like it this mostly happens before it is warmed up but can happen at any time. Downshifting seems fine. I've had it in to a tranni guy who sent me to GMC to have the computer reset. The GMC guy took off the pan, found no filings or anything in the oil could not visually see any problems.

Also, when I bought this truck, there was no manual--it has electronic 4x4. I change into 4H up to about 60 kph. 4L I change in Neutral. Is this correct? Also, my friend changed into 4x4 with the steering turned hard (I nearly freaked)--did she damage U-joints or anything?

Finally, does anything know where I could find a manual and/or a keyless remote (the truck did not have those either!) :blush:

Thanks Ali
  • ssturdevantssturdevant Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know why this is happening....once my Sliverado 1500 4x4 has been sitting on an incline not running and I go to start it and put it into reverse the truck dies. I have to coast in neutural until I get to flat land. Once on flat land I can go forward. Any ideas?
  • diton908diton908 Member Posts: 7
    how do you bleed the clutch is it just like bleeding brakes or what the bleed is on the slave cyl i replaced the line between the master cyl and the slave cyl cant get the clutch to feel right and it pulls when the clutch is all the way depress i know that isnt right and i think i have air in the line but cant seem to get it all out if you could help thank you

Diton
    95 chevy 2500 5.7 #50 V8 4x4 5 Speed
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The incline is likely draining the torque converter. Two things will help: set the parking brake before you shift into Park when you're parking the truck on that incline. Then when you start it, shift into Neutral with the parking brake still engaged to release the stress on the park pawl and help get fluid flowing through the system sooner.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • wclementwclement Member Posts: 1
    how do i remove the broken clutch pedal without removing the dashboard ?
  • farenfaren Member Posts: 2
    I am clueless about mechanics and am out of state with truck problems. It's an '04 GMC 2500HD with about 60K miles. A couple days ago it started shifting "hard" while going through the gears. I took it to the dealership before leaving VA and no codes came up on the diagnostic, said the fluid was a little dirty but nothing else so it would be safe to drive to NC. It drove perfectly fine coming down. But when I tried to leave it shifted much harder while moving through the gears and then the check engine light came on. I had the truck towed to a local GMC dealership (it is under an extended warranty) and when I backed the truck off of the tow truck I looked down and the engine light wasn't on anymore. I put it into gear and drove it around the parking lot and seemed fine but then shifted hard again once or twice.

What could be the problem? I hate to say it, but I'm a girl and don't want to be taken for a ride by the dealership. Thanks!
    there are a couple of different transmissions that came with this vehicle 4L80E or Allison 1000 would need to know a little more detail before i can be of any help to you
  • drosenaudrosenau Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 2wd, GMC Sierra, automatic. The button for the tow/haul option is on the end of shifter. This doesn't work but the Tow / haul option comes on by itself sporadically. The indicator light comes on on the dash and I can feel the truck gear down. Any advice before I take it to a mechanic.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Sounds like a short in the wiring for the switch causing the intermittent engaging of the tow/haul mode.
  • drosenaudrosenau Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, do recommend any particular vehicle manual to trace the wiring?
    The factory service manual from Helm's is $135.00 plus shipping. You can also get online support via www.alldatadiy.com where you are able to subscribe to your specific vehicle and obtain service info and TSBs regarding your truck. I've found that while the manual is good, alldatadiy provides much more accurate data versus those other manuals that you can purchase at Checkers. I think its $14.95 for a years subscription and you are able to print out the schematics that you'll need.
  • hdcoxhdcox Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 chevy 3500 vortec 350. It only has 70,000 miles on it, but reverse has went out. It acts the same as if it were in neutral. All else seems ok. I havent had the filter changed since I bought it at 35,000 miles. It has fluid in it, I even put a can of Gunk trans fix in it. I was considering Lucas tranny fix, please help if you got a fix. I was told by the oil change guy that changing the filter may make it go out altogether. Im lost. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    first out changing the filter will not make reverse come back. im sure this is a 4L80E transmission and it has a problem with the reverse band wearing out the front planetary assembly. and i will say this about additives DO NOT USE THEM once you put the chemical into the transmission it does not stop working until you drain both the torque and the trans. in otherwords if you use an additive it will continue to soften the rubber items in the trans till it softens them away.then you have a catastrophic trans failure that will cost much more to repair than it will if you get the problem fixed correctly instead of trying to fix it with a majic potion
  • hdcoxhdcox Member Posts: 2
    what should this repair typically cost me?
    normally 12-1500 dollars for an overhaul of your trans unless you are in a major city then a little more
  • msqd628msqd628 Member Posts: 2
    Took my '03 Silverado with 100k to dealer who added a Bar G transmisson flush and suposedly did a fluid exchange. (not what I wanted done) Within 800 miles transmission was fluttering, missing shifts, and failing to shift into 3rd under load. Found transmission over full. Fluid was dark and smelled like cleaner. I had it tested and have the PPM of metals. I also had sample of clean Dextron VI tested for comparison. The results seem very high for tranny fluid with only 800 miles on the fluid.
    Does anyone have expected range of metals, in PPM, for a transmission with 100k and 1k miles and/or anywhere in between.
    How did you derive the PPM on your test? If it was done by a lab, they should have sample data on what you're asking for.
  • ro9beam2002ro9beam2002 Member Posts: 4
    i am having the same problem.. i have a 1500 sierra 2007 classic.. today.. while driving from a stop... right before it went into second... heard like a pop then motor revving.. coasted then had to actualy put it into second gear it caught.. came to a stop no go in drive .3rd. or second.. just 1st... i had reverse though... on the way to the dealer.. i was finally able to go into drive after about 5 miles .. then had to give it some gas it tried down shifting pop... revved up.. but was able to continue in 3rd as long as i didnt give it much gas... what does this sound like? the truck only has 19,000 miles.. she this be replaced new under warranty?
  • bumperdudebumperdude Member Posts: 19
    mine went out at 7,000 all stock at the time. because it was a $ 44,000. truck I thought that i should get a new tranny in a case. Nope, doesn't work that way. They did hook it to the computer, open it up and, order all the parts to rebuild it and flush out all the lines and cooler. I have 23,000 on it now and reprogramed the computer to run an extra 500 rpm's before shifting and shift harder. I run the crap out of this truck and it seems fine now. good luck
  • msqd628msqd628 Member Posts: 2
    I got the levels via testing. Iron alone is 189 PPM. Seems high to me for 800 miles on new fluid. Report says "No action required at this time". I have a call into Staveley Services now for additional info.
    Thanks.
    what you have to remember is there is NO way to drain 100 % of the fluid and there will always be contamination in the fluid after a change due to the fact that you just cant "wash" all the debris from the transmission. it cakes and hides in all the nook and crannies of the unit. 189/1000000 sounds very LOW to me like almost nonexistant as far as PARTS PER MILLION are concerned.If i remember correctly you stated you had the transmission "FLUSHED" and i will state again for all to read "FLUSHING" the transmission is not always a good thing the filter doesnt get changed and all flushing does is move the big crap around the transmission moving it to places it would not normally settle. If your gonna service the transmission do it properly drop the pan change the filter, drain the torque if applicable new pan gasket .filter and fresh fluid.today i see more complaints about transmission problems from people who "FLUSHED" the transmission instead of doing a proper fluid and filter change. just my opinion after 28 years in the transmission industry
  • mdsxs4mdsxs4 Member Posts: 9
    That is a normal problem. Mine went out at 17,000 miles. They replaced the bad part. The tranny went out again at 28,000 miles. This time they finally replaced the tranny. Now I have 75,000 miles with no other problems.
    what year is your truck? what was the part at fault?
  • mdsxs4mdsxs4 Member Posts: 9
    It is a 2007 classic. The part that failed was the gear that locks and spins the other direction for second gear. There was a bulletin out when mine happened. At 28,000 the clutch discs were so full of metal shavings that it was slipping so the computer would have the transmission shift very hard.
  • tdawsontdawson Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    I'm new to the site.
    I've got a 06 Sierra bought new in Jan 07. It is only 15 months old. I only had the 3/36 warranty on it. I now have 44k on the truck (all highway miles, I have a killer commute). Anyway, haven't had a single problem with it until yesterday. driving down the road and all of a sudden it revs up, not in gear. I pull over, it won't go into gear (automatic trans), only reverse. got it towed, looks like the whole tranny is shot. To say I'm dissapointed is an understatement. My question is this: anyone think I have a chance in hell of getting GMC to pay for this. I'm 8k past warranty, but the darn truck is only 15 months old.
    thanks,
    Tom
    mine is a 07 classic as well.. thank god for the 100k warranty for the 07 models... did they replace your tranny? i hope that they dont try and rebuild it... do you have the service bulletin number? how did the truck feel after they fixed everything? like a new one?
    My question is this: anyone think I have a chance in hell of getting GMC to pay for this. I'm 8k past warranty, but the darn truck is only 15 months old.

The short answer is no.

However a lot depends on what caused the failure. Is there a service bulletin that covers it? One thing for sure, the dealer is going to say that 44K in 15 months is a lot of mileage even though it shouldn't matter.

The dealer also plays a role in this. If you can convince them that it should be warrantied, the GM rep is more than likely to go along.

Have any friends in your dealer's service department?
  • 4burb4burb Member Posts: 55
    Also try different service departments if you live in an area with several dealerships. If one tells you no you may find one that says they will work with you. Might at least be able to get GM to assist with the cost.
  • waltercopelandwaltercopeland Member Posts: 4
    I have a transmission issue I need some help with. I have reverse but when in drive the thing wont engage. If I put it in 1st gear it is fine. If I start of in second gear it has little power till it get up to about 12 mph. It will not move in 3rd or overdrive. If I manually shift through all the gears on the highway it changes fine. This is a 4L60E tranny. I dont know what it could be. Oh no metal shaving in the pan or on the magnet. Tranny fluid was not burnt or discolored.
    have it scanned at a local trans shop but im betting by your description that the input sprag is blown on the trans since it will move in manual low and reverse the low reverse clutch circuit is good sound like time for a rebuild
    everyone wants to jump to a rebuild. I think it is something simple. Maybe a wiring harness or a solenoid. But I dont know nothing about trannys.
    well so much for my 28 years in the transmission industry
    LOL!! you need to stop giving free advice. People only value advice that they are charged for. :shades:
    he's gonna pay to get it fixed anyway .lol so the jokes really on him . all i did was tell him what he DIDNT really wanna know
    Hey took it in to a trans shop yesterday afternoon. They run a scan on it. All it is is the 2/3 solenoid and the 3/2 solenoid. Wow that is 87 dollars that oh wait I can fix that. Plus that is better than 1468 dollars for it to get rebuilt. Like I said it is something simple and everyone wants to rebuild. No one knows too much about trannys so if transmission fluid dont fix it then they ask the shop and they say rebuild. I say bull. Wow a rebuild verses two solenoids. Holy crap you told me nothing useful. Have a great day. Your advice you pay for, is why the tranny shops love you. So I guess the joke is really on you now.
    everyone makes mistakes .... its not like i had the vehicle here to hook a scanner up to. so based on your information i said my piece good luck hope it stays together for you
    Gene
    Yes it is hard to diagnose without a scanner or seeing or hearing the vehicle. Far too often not enough info is given and when asked for more details you never hear from the poster again.

Keep up the good work though its hard to keep up with shifty. :shades:
  • porter7porter7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 chevy 5.7 engine auto trans, it makes a rattling noise in 1st and 2nd gear but not in 3rd or 4th. it also doesnt do it when cold, anyone have or heard of anything like this? it has a lot of miles but shifts perfect. I changed the fluid, but no change, thanks. :(
    I was the one that posted the 96 k1500 post before you get some crazy info on here like some gear went out or some plastic bushing or something (REBUILD). Find a trans shop that will scan it for free like I did. Do you have the 4L60E in that truck?
    You can also have the codes scanned at any autoparts stores which outnumber trans shops 10 to 1.
  • mllwd2000mllwd2000 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the site and I would appreciate any info. I have a 2006 silverado with 65000 miles. Yesterday going down the road it felt like I ran over something and the trans started humming-pulled over to check out and had no reverse'tried to get it home and had no 2nd or overdrive, made loud noise trying to shift. took to shop and of course said rebuild. this is the 2nd chevy truck that trans went out with little mls. Is this been an ongoing issue with chevy trans? and does this sound familiar to anyone. thanks
    Since it's out of warranty take it to a transmission shop for a second opinion. The 4L-60E has been around for a long time. I had no issues with mine though that doesn't help you.
    broke the reaction shell its common failure normally the rest of the trans is in good shape if they tell you overhaul insist on watching the teardown if the only thing broken is reaction shell maybe you can get out a lot cheaper if you talk right to the shop