Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• porter7porter7 Member Posts: 2
    have a code scanner, no codes, still makes noise but still shifting ok, not getting any worse, guess I will have to take it to a trans shop and see what they say. :confuse:
  • keystone7keystone7 Member Posts: 3
    my 1994 GMC 1500 has a 5 speed manual trans im having troubles its cloncin in revers and when I down shift its not the ujonts not shere what it is.some help would be nice.Thanks. :(
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    Whats the approved transmission service for my 2004 Sierra?
    Flush,or drain. I'm not having any issues with truck. Truck has 19k
    on it.
    Thanks
  • ralexralex Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum so I will apologize in advance if I have missed this is another area. I recently purchased a 2005 3500 Chevy Silverado and I haven't had any problem so far. I have thought about getting the OnStar subscription. I was hoping that someone could shed some light on how effective OnStar is when it come s to detecting problems using the "diagnostic check".
  • j_appleseedj_appleseed Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500, 4.8L w/ towing package and I changed my transmission fluid and filter yesterday. I bought the new filter at advance auto and there were two sizes, shallow and deep. I bought the shallow filter, but after removing the old one, it looks like a deep filter. I went ahead and installed the shallow filter. Anybody think I need to replace it with the deep filter? I tow a small 17 foot ski boat about twice a month.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    yes due to the fact if you get your truck a lil sideways the short filter may suck air for just a moment and cause what we call an air spike to the pump and blow the pump up in the trans ..yes put the right filter in it
  • glitchmobileglitchmobile Member Posts: 1
    Hello Sundance_112, my 2003 Chevy Suburban is having a similar 4wd glitch and am considering a DIY encoder replacement. Were you successful with yours? Were there other parts you needed to change besides the encoder, to fix the 4wd? Did your truck need reprogramming?
    Looking forward to hearing about your success.
  • keystone7keystone7 Member Posts: 3
    took the truck to a trans shop thay told me it was the transfercase got a used one for $175 going to put it in soon tell the outcome latter.
  • farenfaren Member Posts: 2
    It's not an Allison so it must be the other - sorry, but I am mechanically challenged. OK, here's the update. The dealer in NC replaced a speed sensor and flushed the fluid (truck was right at 60K miles). The truck has run great for the past two months, then two days ago the exact same problem started again. I took it to my dealer in VA and made the shop manager ride with me so he could feel what it is doing. They hooked up the computer, tinkered with it for three hours but no codes. They are suggesting replacing the speed sensor that was just put in two months ago. I drove the truck home yesterday and drove it around today and seems just fine - not one instance of "hard" shifting when accelerating. Thoughts anyone? I am getting ready to haul my horse long distance by myself and really don't need this truck to die on me!
  • wtharp2wtharp2 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my Silverado for less than 90 days, and the transmission is now giving me problems. Specifically, it will no longer enter 3rd/4th gears. 1st, 2nd and Reverse work just fine. There are no abnormal noises coming from the transmission and the truck isn't acting differently than normal (other than the loss of 3rd & 4th). The transmission fluid is both dirty and low, but it is not burned.
    The only warning of this issue I received was the transmission hunting between 3rd and 4th and the idiot lights coming on for hot transmission (first the warning, then the critical). When I saw the critical, I shifted to neutral and coasted until it went out (I was on a freeway with no lane in which to stop).
    Any idea what is wrong? Obviously, I'd like to not replace the transmission.

Thanks for any help.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Over heated with low and dirty fluid and the truck is 9 years old. I'd say you're in for at least an overhaul.
  • 1500_v81500_v8 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like you have the same issues as mee. Did you ever get an answer?

Thanks,
  • wtharp2wtharp2 Member Posts: 2
    Actually it is a rebuilt that is less than 3 years old -- the engine was new -- from -gm -- as of May 2007...

I took it to a local AAMCO, and they said there was fine metal in the pan. They wanted an additional $479 to dismount it, crack the case, and see what was wrong. Although I thought that was fairly reasonable, 1) I don't have a spare $479 at the moment and 2) I am ultimately going to replace it with a beefed up one, so I'm not going to fool with it for now.

Thanks.

obyone said:
    "Over heated with low and dirty fluid and the truck is 9 years old. I'd say you're in for at least an overhaul."
  • hcamarohcamaro Member Posts: 4
    hello, I have a 5.3 v8 2001 sierra and the other day it was runing fine (no sliping or warning lights) and i went to pull alway from a stop sign and something happen. It felt like it got put into nuetral. Now i don't have D,3,2,1 but i do have reverse. I changed the oil to look at it. The old was realy dark and there was some metel at the bottom of the container but nothing abnomal. The truck has 97000 miles on it. if any one can help me out please feel free to write back.
    if the trans will go into reverse but absolutely no forward gears the input sprag (forward) is probably blown or the forward clutches are smoked. have it checked by a trans shop but your description is a blown sprag
    what would cause somthing like this happen.? It did sit up for about 1 1/2 year.
    well during the stored time trans fluid can drain down and leave parts open to air since the trans has a atmospheric vent to keep pressure from building if parts started to rust in a year + time and then load put back on them the metal has deteriated and possibly rusted away enuff to let the input sprag fail...
  • 1500_v81500_v8 Member Posts: 2
    My truck was rough shifting from 1st and 2nd gear(alomost jumping). Also it would idle too fast. i finally took is to the dealer and they said is was the Throddle positioning sensor. The part by itself costs $140. For a awhile there I was getting whiplash. They fixed it and now the truck shift smoother than ever. I thought the trans was going. Whew! I hope this helps.
  • mechmanmechman Member Posts: 1
    I was driving ~70 mph, noticed rpm fluctuation and pulled over. Discovered transmission oil leak but was able to drive home. Replaced lost oil. Wiped everything clean, drove truck at various speeds up to 55mph and various inclines. No leak can be found. Did this several times. Still cannot located leak. Transmission shifts fine. :sick:
  • dmbillsdmbills Member Posts: 1
    I've had two transmission problems with my 2005 Sierra in the last six months. In both cases, it wouldn't shift into third gear. GMC goodwilled the repairs despite the fact that the truck was beyond it's warranty. The first repair was goodwilled at 42K and the second at 54K.

That said, it's important to note that I'm a regular customer at the dealership. We have all of the maintenance for the truck and my wife's GTO done at the dealership—oil changes, new tires, unscheduled maintenance, everything. They made a point of mentioning that this was a factor in their decision to pay for the repair. They figure that it'll pay dividends when I purchase my next truck and, quite frankly, they're right. I'm fortunate to have a good dealer and I'll buy from them again.
  • park079park079 Member Posts: 2
    Transmission jumps out of all forward gears, have not tried reverse. If motor is turned off, truck will not start; there is no power to anything. Battery has a full charge. Truck will start with a booster but transmission continues to jump out of gear. Does this sound like a Throddle Positioning Sensor or something else? What about the motor not starting; is this related to the transmission problems?
  • a760chevya760chevy Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I just purchased a non-operational 1994 Chevy Silverado with an automatic transmission. I purchased this vehicle to learn about automobiles and will be attending a Intro to Automotives course at a local community college in the fall. But anyway, when I put the truck into drive and hit 10 mph or more, I hear a rattle (sounds like a loose bolt in a pan, between the transmission and rear axle. As I slow down it quiets the problem. I'm thinking about taking it to the local AAMCO station for a transmission test. Does anyone have any other suggestions.
    Thx
    Interesting situation. You bought a 14 year old NON-OPERATIONAL truck to learn on. I'd suggest you ask the instructor his/her opinion. You could take it to AAMCO but I don't think you'll like the result of the test nor the free quote that comes with it.
  • gnusarevgnusarev Member Posts: 1
    Good day for all! My truck chevy silverado 2500 04 with duramax and allison transmission has shifting problems, when i driving at normal acccelleration the truck shifts fine but when i try to accellerate quickly it wont shift untill i back off the throttle! Before than check engine also lightning and when i try pull up from drive to neitral or parking at rear of the car i hearing "boom" and car shake.
    P.S. I changed fuel filter today but itt give no more.
  • imreadyimready Member Posts: 2
    Hello, thanks for reading this!
    I have a 1996 Z-71, I think the transmission is a L-60. My original just quit shifting from 2nd to 3rd, so I had it rebuilt. The rebuild lasted 15,000 miles, started doing the same thing again. I had a different rebuilt one installed, by a different man, and it did the same thing after maybe, 500 miles. Now I have had my original one rebuilt again, same guy that has installed the different rebuilt, and he is ready to install it tomorrow. August 17, 2008.
    Now my question!!!
    Is it possible that there is something in the electronics of the truck, that isn't actually in the transmission, that is causing it to stop shifting? OR is it definately, maybe some kind of controller that is in the transmission? And how can I find out? Or is it most likely that it is something to do with the rebuilder? I don't want this rebuild that is to be installed tomorrow, to do the same thing. I need to know if I need to be checking something besides just what is in the transmission. And, besides, I don't know how, and probably neither does that transmission man, how to check any of the electronic parts in the transmission, or in the truck itself.
    It's almost midnight, saturday, and Im beat. I hope this letter can be understood, and hope some kind person can give me some advice on this problem. I surely don't want this man to have to rebuild it a third time. Especially if it is something in the truck, and not some kind of controller on the transmission.
    Heck, I don't know. Please help!!!!
    'thanks a million!
    Billy
  • imreadyimready Member Posts: 2
    so what was the problem? mine has done the same thing, first at 290,000, then after a rebuld, it did it at 15000, then after a DIFFERENT transmission rebuilt, it did it at 500 miles. Now I'm having the original rebuilt, and re-installed. It probably will do it again. Is it something electronic?
    thanks
    billy
  • frock10frock10 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Silverado and have had problems with the transmission since approx. 900 miles. It started with a grinding noise being made when shifting to 2-3 gears. The first repair made was replacing the 3-4th plates & piston, low roller clutch, reaction carrier, and internal gear. I started having problems again round 2300 miles. They then had to replace the housing, oil ring, valves, and gaskets to repair it. I was already upset because I wanted a new transmission the first time I had issues and the dealer said GM refused. Gotta love GM... Not... It was fine for a while and it started to have problems again but the dealer has said not to bring it back till it dies. I have close to 20,000 miles on it and it still is doing the same thing, goes into 3rd hard when shifting or slips into 3rd when shifting. It is frustrating and I am attempting to find someone to replace it regardless.

Has anyone else had any of these issues?
    You might want to try another dealer. You can also call GM direct on the customer service line provided in your owners manual. Most dealers will send out transmission work rather than work on it themselves due to the complexity of the job. Also GM will tend to follow what the dealer recommends so I wouldn't put all the blame on them. Your dealer had something to do if they did indeed deny replacing the trans.
  • frock10frock10 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice... I have always thought it wasn't right for the dealer to tell me to bring it back only when it dies... I have given copies of the repair sheets to a couple of other individuals and they are looking in the system to see what has been done and what else could be done to repair the problems. It still seems that a replacement transmission would be the best thing to have done and let GM look at the old one to verify what failures occurred and the reasons for them. I am hoping I will hear something soon....
  • b36b36 Member Posts: 15
    My 2006 gmc 1500 with 5.3 v8 4x4 and automatic trans gives a thump when shifting at low speed the shift is at around 15mph.when in traffic or driving in a development. It only happens when you creep up on the shift speed. If you can go a little faster it shifts through smoothly. the truck only has 10000 miles on it. i had a 2004 envoy wjith a 6 and never noticed this. Any advice thanks.
  • merckx72merckx72 Member Posts: 2
  • merckx72merckx72 Member Posts: 2
    Truck accelerates fine in park. Will not accelerate in drive.
    5.7l
    4 wd
    Automatic
    Thanks
  • sc72688sc72688 Member Posts: 1
    I just got the tranny rebuilt and the trans-go kit installed.Now when its cold it has really hard downshifts but when it warms up it shifts ok.any ideas from anyone???
  • framemakerframemaker Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 Silverado with 41,000 miles that appears to have the same problem as your truck. Mine has acted up about 6 times over the past 3 years. The problem usually goes away very quickly; however yesterday it lasted 10 miles until I got home - this morning truck shifted normally. Had truck in last year while still under warantee but dealer could not find the problem. I was wondering if you solved your problem, and if so, what did it turn out to be?
  • park079park079 Member Posts: 2
    The shifting problem was electrical. The battery had a crack and dripped acid onto the wire harness and as the wire covering desolved and the bare wires crossed the transmission would kick out of gear. When the coating desolved completely and the wires crossed then the truck would not start and the dealer found the problem. New battery, fixed the wiring and all is well. Transmission shifts fine and it appears that the problem was electrical. Hope this helps.
  • framemakerframemaker Member Posts: 2
    Thank you - I was at dealers today and they found code P0785 in the computer. This code reflects a problem in the 3-2 shift solenoid circuit; most likely the 3-2 solenoid.
  • rrossirrossi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 GMC 1500 5.3. When I come to a fairly strong stop and let off the brake a bid, I get this jolt. In addition, If I come to a full stop and let off the brake to begin my roll, I get the same jolt. Several Times I thought some bumped into me from the rear. The first time I took it in to the dealer, they lubed the "slip joint"
    less than a 1,000 miles later it began happening again. Now they tell me its "normal"
  • october2525october2525 Member Posts: 4
    just a repost,still looking for help,,,,,

My 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4 x 4 looses power when my transmission temp gets between 180-200 degrees. It only gets hot on the hot summer days or when I tow my boat. There is also an unusual noise(higher RPM?) in the transmission when I take off after sitting a controlled intersection. I get my vehicle serviced on a regular basis. I have yet to take it into a dealer..any ideas?
  • larsbars01larsbars01 Member Posts: 1
    when towing my trailer and heading up a hill my truck lost power and I had to take the offramp and park it after a short rest it was okay for a few hundred more miles-two tranny shops have told me its not the tranny-two diagnose guys say its the tranny-when the gas is open up while going down the road the power does not go to the wheels-you can see the tach go up but the truck does not go accordingly-I don't want to replace a bunch of items and none of them be right-If I drive like a turtle its okay but I need to hook up the trailer and leave where I'm at with this problem solved-HELP
  • drapheusdrapheus Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

I have a 1995 Chevy K1500, and I think possibly the transmission is going. It drives fine until about 45-50 mph, and then it starts hesitating the more I press the accelerator -- it feels like the engine is cutting out, but the rpm or even the sound of the engine doesn't change.

I changed the transmission fluid and filter, added some non-slip additive, replaced the fuel filter, redid all the ignition wiring, replaced the rotor and coil + spark plugs, and replaced the oil in the differential, but with no luck. Any help would be much appreciated. :sick:
  • wheelman1952wheelman1952 Member Posts: 3
    what i know about the gm transmissions..if the sun shield cracks or strips.there will be no .2 or 3 gear and no reverse..gm charges around 800 dollars,to take the trans appart and replace with up graded sun shield unit..12 months and labor waranty,nationwide..there was a guy,that was converting 1992 and up chevy caprices..im dc or maryland..i think the chevy impalas..1992 and up,had manual trans in some of them.its just hanging a clutch pedal.check out the impala clubs and forums.
  • lambo87lambo87 Member Posts: 3
  • lambo87lambo87 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 gmc 1500 pickup and when the engine is cold it's fine but when the transmission warms up it shifts very hard from 1st to 2nd gear and also from 2nd to 3rd. I have changed the fluid and filter in the transmission to no avail. Also changed the sensor on the carb. to no avail. The engine light comes on and I replaced parts that it said to replace and the engine light is still on. I have gotten the engine light reset each time that I did something to the transmission and it'll stay clear for a while but later comes right back on. Appreciate any help!! :mad: :confuse: :confuse:
  • supersupras10supersupras10 Member Posts: 1
    ok i have a 1999 chevy silverado 1500 5.3l v8 4x4 ex. cab, and iam having problems with the tranny and sometimes it works good but when it does it fell like it has a shift kit in it and then it quits working and you then you have to shift gears by had and then it fells like you do have first or drive, and also when it does it the truck has no power at all i mean it is very slow but when it works right it dont run bad at all, but i hope someone can help me out to find the problem out
  • kskeithkskeith Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy 1500 w/ the exact same problem. Less than 4K miles have not had it in to check problem. Should I be concerned?
  • burbankfowlersburbankfowlers Member Posts: 2
    Just took my 2008 Silverado to the dealer, was slow getting into gear when taking off, but when I would stop, about ten seconds later there would be a jolt, like someone bumped from behind. My son says he believes it was the transmission shifting down. Passing a car takes a couple of seconds for it to shift. Dealer gave me a printout for a PIP4112G hesitation on Acceleration and told me there was nothing wrong. There is something significant when that clunk in the rear end happens. There is also now a roaring noise when travelling down the highway. Chevrolet dealer thinks I am nuts.
    I've had a service manager and even a service manager and a tech ride with me to help illustrate the issues I had with my truck. It's often frustrating to leave your truck there with a description of what's wrong only to pick up the truck and find on the invoice "could not duplicate problem".
  • burbankfowlersburbankfowlers Member Posts: 2
    After being stoppped at an intersection, the first time it happened I thought I had been rear-ended, the jolt was that severe. And then trying to take off, it feels like it kicks into neutral first. The service tech first said "all four-wheel drives do that in the rear end" You know what, mine isn't a four-wheel drive. It is a standard, two-wheel drive Silverado. Every time you put pressure on to accelerate it kicks into what feels like neutral. But it is that jolt in the rear end that concerns me. They just tell me that is the way it works. I don't get it, something isn't right, why won't anyone listen. Perhaps they know that this will keep working just until the warranty runs out, then it isn't their problem????
    The clunk you are describing has been around since the 1999 redesign. It clunks on starting acceleration and on stopping caused by play in the slip yoke. It may also clunk upshifting from first to second. There are several service bulletins addressing this issue especially since it has been around for such a long time.

The normal answer that they usually give is that the drive train is new so you need to give it up to 10K miles to break in. If that were true GM wouldn't have come out with a special additive for the rear end.

Since no two dealerships are the same you might want to take your truck to another dealer or take the current service manager out on a test drive to verify that it actually does clunk. It would be hard to deny the clunk with him in the truck though I've seen them try.