Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• bob261bob261 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevrolet ext cab 4x4, i have had the transmission rebuilt and now it will only go into 1st and reverse. The pump as been replaced and the valves all check. any ideas?
  • 04sierraz7104sierraz71 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 04 Sierra with 110km on it from a dealer in Edmonton. It passed inspection and was delivered to me last night in calgary. Sometime today I was coming around a corner and I punched it a little bit, all of the sudden I heard a major CLUNK. Then it started reving like crazy. Now my truck won't move in D or 3rd, I had to limp home in 2nd gear.
    Super pissed because I now have to take it into the shop and I haven't even had it for 12hrs. Dealer was semi helpful in arranging a local mechanic, but I am worried it may happen again. And from all the posts in these forums my confidence if definitely hanging by a thread.
    Any thoughts as to why my truck moves like a castrated dog.....???
  • chuck1940chuck1940 Member Posts: 1
    My wife managed to turn our GMC Sierra 2001 automatic off and removed key when not in park gear. Now key will not turn, everything is locked up unable to get gearshift in park or to move shift in any way or to start vehicle.
  • grantorton1grantorton1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 sierra bought it with 34,800 miles on it. Noticed a clunk every nopw and then. 35,200 on it the tranny went CLUNK and tranny was done......... no forward gears. $1800.00 + enjoy I did.
  • 94chevy94chevy Member Posts: 1
    I have a question about my trans, I have a 94 Chevy pick-up with 300,000+ miles on it (yes with the same trans and engine that has never been open) eitherway here is my problem. I have the 4L60E model trans and it is not licking the converter in in its over drive gear (yes it is full of fluid) It did this to me once before and I found that it was the brake light switch, yeah I know sounds wierd but it made since and it was the problem, now I have replaced it again and thats not it this time, I have traced all the wiring that I can find with no breaks or loose wires that i can find. these trans are pretty simple and short of pulling that trans out I am sctatching my head. its probably somthing simple that i am not thinking of. Any ideas?
  • jcc1958jcc1958 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a 1996 GMC Z71 automatic :lemon: ,the guy told me it had a rebuilt tranny and only had 5,000 miles on it.It did good on the way home but I didn't even make it home with it.First thing I noticed is I was going up a small hill and it started jerking some.I almost got it to my sons house but all gears went out of it so I put it in reverse and was backing up to get in his driveway and it stopped working.Well last nite I got in it and i drove it around the house a couple of times.I would have to put it in gear as soon as it started then after driving just a couple of feet it would stop again no gears and it would make this hissing noise sounds like an air hose to me.I cut the truck off and it would start again and go a ways then nothing again. :mad: Now I dont know for sure that it was rebuilt. I hate to have to buy one.Anyone else have this problem? I need Help Thanks in advance.
  • ruftoyzdawtrruftoyzdawtr Member Posts: 8
    Sounds like it wasn't rebuild, OR it wasn't done right. something could be clogged or not hooked up all the way. Price a new one, but before buying one, price how much it would cost to have a shop tell you EXACTLY whats wrong, if it needs to be rebuilt/replaced then ask how much they would charge. Usually a little cheaper to have it rebuilt, but I wouldn't advise you to tell the shops you talk to that it has supposedly already been rebuilt. Most shops WON'T touch a tranny thats already been reuilt, they will say you need a whole new one. Good luck.
    thanks I guess the guy knew it was bad he didnt return my calls or emails.I wonder why at times it will go in gear and go about 10 feet or so then stop pulling at all when it does this is makes a hissing noise as i said then you can turn it off then start back up and put it in gear as soon as you do and it will go again for about 10 feet then when that noise starts making that noise it will stop again.I hope its not the tranny I sure would hate to spend that much on it to get it running.I didnt realize that chevy and gmc trans were so bad to go out.I did price a new one they said around 2,000.00 for the trans and labor.
    Thanks
    Well it depends on the people who have owned the truck, pretty much with any vehicle, if you care for it, it will run well for a very long time. Routine maintenance, etc. We had the same problem, i actually posted about our truck on here too. Ours had an allison transmission in it, supposedly one of the toughest, if not THE toughest tranny there is, and it went out. Our truck is still not running because the guy we had rebuild it, didn't do it right and the gears are grinding putting metal through the valve body and into the fluid, clogging the valves. It currently is stuck in reverse mode and only has 3rd clutch and reverse clutch. I guess it just depends on the job, IF yours was rebuilt then the guy didn't do it right. It also could very well be an over-heating problem or an electrical problem. You can take it to a shop and most places will only charge an hours labor to see whats wrong with the truck. If it comes down to the tranny then you know. Better to be safe than put a ton more money into it and be sorry when you find out that wasn't the problem. Even if you have a buddy who has a scan tool that you can hook into it, If the truck has the ports for one, you can do it free that way, the computer will usually tell you if there are any electrical issues or for example and misfire, which would be a spark plug. vehicles that haven't been well cared for are a pain. Hope some of this helps! =)
    I started the truck today and it ran for about 10 minutes before it went out of gear and it made that hissing (air) noise when it did.Started it back up and it moved about 2 ft..you can tell when it's going to go out because of that hissing noise.
    an ideas?
    I started the truck today and it ran for about 10 minutes before it went out of gear and it made that hissing (air) noise when it did.Started it back up and it moved about 2 ft..you can tell when it's going to go out because of that hissing noise.
    an ideas? oh I forgot to put the # I got off of the tranny.. 15671928 no idea what it means.
  • krazyk22krazyk22 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 with 125K miles. Here recently when I accelerate, the truck often revs up into the 3000 rpms, and and sounds like it's going, but the truck doesn't move. I have been assuming it must be the transmission, but could this be something else?
    Well I am having the transmission rebuilt.My mechanic said that tranny had NOT been rebuilt and gave me some tips for checking for that.You can bet next time I will.He told me my motor was good so I said just fix it then.He said the motor should last for another 100 to 300 thousand miles.So I am going to take the chance and see.Will let you all know what happens.I should have it back in about a week.The guy I bought it from really ripped me a big one.Oh the tips he told me were to look at the fluid on the tranny fluid..I did that but it was before I drove it.He said the guy probably just changed the fluid is all he did.He said check it before you drive it and after and smell of it to.If it smells like its burnt walk away unless you want to put a tranny in it..I hope that guy knows what comes around goes around..He also said if it shirfted smooth that you couldnt feel it that was bad to..He said you should be able to tell..to feel when it shifts ..maybe this will help someone else so they dont get ripped one like I did.
  • saintalsaintal Member Posts: 1
    HI, did you ever find out what caused the problem.

I had a problem today pulled out on hwy. lost 3 4 forth had to drive home in 2nd gear.

thanks, saintal
    Yes it's my tranny..the guy told me it had been rebulit but it hadn't..but it's getting rebuilt right now.Hope to have it back by the end of next week.The guy thats rebuilding it told me he would be out of a job if it wasn't for gmc and chevy transmissions..they still put that same one in trucks now..Hope that's not what yours is.let me know good luck
  • lpopowichlpopowich Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 chevy 1500 4X4 , i have been having issues with my transfercase shift motot, Mechanic said it was garbage, I have bought a new one, installed it and tried it agiain, everthing seemed to work on electronic shift module display in truck , but when I did go to shift into 4X4 I heard it all working from inside the truck ,( the electronic motor working ) , Then it turned all lights on display off, and the instriment display indicated for me to service 4 wheel drive. and none of the display lights work again.
    I am back to square one. would this be I have to get me truck plugged back into the mechanic computer and re set ????

any help would be appreciated.

Lorne
  • txrednecktxredneck Member Posts: 8
    SORRY, NO I NEVER FOUND OUT WHAT IS WRONG. IT SOMETIMES SHIFTS GREAT, AND OTHER TIMES IT WINDS UP WAY FARTHER THAN IT SHOULD BEFORE IT WILL SHIFT. I KNOW LITTLE TO NOTHING ABOUT TRANSMISSIONS SO I AM AFRAID TO TEAR INTO IT THAT I WILL DO MORE DAMAGE THAN GOOD.
  • gvickgvick Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Chevy Z71, it shifts from 1st to second just fine but will not shift into 3rd, the fluid does not smell burnt and still redish in color, any suggestions??
  • getnrdone1getnrdone1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 silverado with the 4.8L v8 and 4 speed auto trans. When I manually shift the trans into 1st gear isn't it supposed to stay in first gear? At about 3400 rmp the trans will shift to 2nd even though i have the shifter at 1st. Also, if you put the shifter into 2nd and start from a dead stop isnt it supposed to start in first and then shift to 2nd? As it is right not it will not start in 1st, it starts in 2nd which is slow to say the least. I took it to the dealer and they said that is how it is supposed to work but im not accepting that. I have owned 2 silverados before this one and never had that happen. Is this something new in the newer trucks or am i the only one with this problem?
  • ejnicholejnichol Member Posts: 6
    Its normal. My '06 exhibits the same behavior.
    Thats good to know. Thanks for checking!
  • cajun_okiecajun_okie Member Posts: 3
    I have a '02 Silverado Z71 that I have taken immaculate care of since purchasing the truck brand new off the lot in September '03. Earlier this month at 62K miles my transmission went out resulting in the vehicle losing the 2nd and 4th gears. The guys who serviced my truck say they have never seen a transmission with such low mileage so burnt up. The reason is there was excessive space in the clutches for those gears which causes them to slip which in return causes excessive wear and tear on the transmission. Apparently this was corrected in the '03 model trucks. Further, when you purchase a '02 transmission kit for this model truck there is an update that corrects this issue. What really gets my blood boiling is that GM will not admit its mistake and issue a recall for this. I have been told by mechanics at local GM dealerships they keep extras on the floor because the transmission have such a high failure rate. Thanks GM for draining a once loyal Chevy guy's bank account nearly $2,000 to fix something that you failed to correct. :lemon:
    I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO A 97 Z71. WE ONLY HAD ABOUT 45,000 ON THE TRUCK AND THE TRANSMISSION WENT OUT. WE HAD USED IT TO PULL A TRAILER A LOT AND EVEN THOUGH WE NEVER PULLED IT IN OD, THE TRANSMISSIONS IN A HALF TON PICKUP ARE JUST NOT DESIGNED TO PULL ALL THE TIME. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU USE YOUR TRUCK TO PULL OR NOT BUT THIS COULD BE THE CAUSE OR IT MAY JUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE TRANSMISSIONS IN THE ZZ 71 MODELS. IT COST ME ABOUT 3,000 TO REPLACE MINE. I ALSO HAD TO REPLACE THE MOTOR AT ABOUT 112,000 MILES. I THINK THE MAIN BEARING WENT OUT AND SHELLED THE ENGINE. IT SUCKS
    Never have pulled a trailer with this truck. I've hauled around 3 beds full of cedar mulch, a load of compost and 1 pallet of sod... nothing that would grind down a transmission in only 62K miles.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Back in the olden days before the auto-trac and whatever other computer controlled traction stuff became in use, a common practice when in a slippery condition was to start from a stop in second gear.
    It decreased the tendency of the wheels to slip and allowed the clutch to slip instead. Whatever the reasons, it worked. Feather the clutch in second and you eased off on your way.
  • harvey12harvey12 Member Posts: 1
    your transmission wont build up enough pressure to shift into third which means in your fluid passage u have a hairline crack inside... no nothing will leak out but its not good cause it is junk!! if your really luck it also could be a valve inside which is sticking not allowing you to shift...not hard to fix at all
    My transmission was rebuilt by a close friend of mine due to the issue I described. He said he has never seen a trans with such low mileage so burned up in all his many years of experience and said the trans was not mounted properly at the factory. Additionally, he said there is a TSB on this issue and that it was corrected in the following year model. I have been working with GM and no shocker to me they don't care which is why I will NEVER buy another GM/Chevy product.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Incorrectly mounted trans?

What TSB?
  • clmnclmn Member Posts: 1
    Exact same jerking problem here for many months and getting worse... but with a 2006 Silverado 2500HD with less than 7,000 miles on it. 36 month warranty expired yesterday. Dealer says "screw" today after telling me they could find nothing wrong at last couple visits (of course not - problem is intermittent). How do I fix this thing??? :lemon:
    I WISH I KNEW, WE HAD OURS PUT ON THE ERROR READER AND NO ERRORS SHOWED UP. I AM OUT OF IDEAS. GOING TO TRY CHANGING THE FUEL FILTER AND SEE IF THAT HELPS. IF YOU LEARN ANYTHING OR FIGURE OUT ANYTHING I WOULD APPRECIATE YOU LETTING ME KNOW.
    We took our 2001 duramax to the shop in the beginning of May, and still haven't gotten it back, now its 4 months later and no one knows whats wrong with it, still! Tranny has been rebuilt 3 times, getting the run around from alaska sales (the chevy dealer up here) and no tranny shops or any shops period other than alaska sales and the original shop that rebuilt it, WILL TOUCH IT. so we're kinda out of options. Have yet to meet anyone who could give any insight on our truck. As far as I know there are a few factory recalls on the 99-02 silverado's so if yall are havin problems with one of those i'd look the recalls up and the symptoms it that part was out or going out and maybe that'll fix your problem. One of the ones that has to do with the tranny is a part in the torque converter and the Park neutral saftey switch also. check it out, maybe it'll help you.
  • rhemcommrhemcomm Member Posts: 3
    MY 2001 CHEVY SILVERADO HD ONLY DRIVES IN GEAR 1,2,3. IT I LIKE IT IS NOT ENGAGING IN DRIVE OR REVERSE. I CAN HEAR TRANSMISSION TURNING BUT TRUCK BARELY MOVES. COULD IT BE TORQUE CONVERTER.
    IT WENT INTO DRIVE AND REVERSE FOR A SECOND AND HASNT DONE IT AFTER THAT. OTHER THAN THAT IT DRIVES GREAT IN GEAR 1,2,3.
  • jim340jim340 Member Posts: 1
    2001, 5.3 , 77k+ miles;pulling small 5th wheel (under 4000 lbs) for about 5000-6000 miles over the last 5 years. problm: going up steep hill, does not want to shift to low gear. only happened twice- 1 year ago and again last week. Transmission mechanic says I have been lucky, its a Blazer transmission and could go any time. said get a smaller camper or a bigger truck
  • redbuggyboyredbuggyboy Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2011
    Here is the scoop...Love this truck! Never had problems. At 35500 miles the tranny started upshifting hard. Parked it at night hasn't done it since. Took to dealer, can't duplicate. Few days later, the reverse doesn't engage without extra human tricks like extra gas and working shifter in and out of gear. That happened twice. Took to dealer, can't duplicate. Ok we are still under warranty (plus extended) so we will continue to drive it till it fails. All seems ok untill it is driven to Houston and back about 80 miles round trip and the tranny overheats with a message from the DIC. Took to dealer ( real jerk service manager) didn't wanna deal with it because we didn't buy it from them so with a call to GM they changed their mind. Here is the warning. They claimed it was low on fluid. ******** and their computer said change fluid and filter at our expense. This is the game. You say no and they win because you didn't do as they recommended. You do it yourself they will claim you voided warranty by screwing something up. Outsmart these *********. I said ok. Go for it. Yeah it sucks out of $135 for them to use us as guesswork diagnosis guinea pigs. Picked it up and we did the test drive. Didn't even make it to Houston before it overheated. Well its back at the dealer and they are gonna tear it down. I in the mean time I will gather weapons such as the ATSG manual and a current live data OBDII scanner. I will keep yall posted on the outcome. Thanks to all that post here, you have given me a weath of knowledge to go to war with these ******!
  • redbuggyboyredbuggyboy Member Posts: 7
    Not much detail to report other than finding metal in the clutches and damage to the mechanical parts.(wish they were more specific) The dealer ordered one of the GM certified remanufactured and installed it today. We drove it home with no issues. The shifter lever is not perfectly aligned for putting it into 1st gear so I will see how hard it is to do and if it is too challenging will take it back and make them do it. The remanufactured has a 3yr 100,000 mile warranty on it and should have improvements that GM is aware are needed like a stronger sun gear I hope. If we have any problems I will be sure to post them.
  • svgasvga Member Posts: 3
    Hey all....I just picked up a 2004 GMC 2500HD 6L 4x4 a few days ago. I test drove it twice before I bought it. Here is my question.

Should the tranny make a slight "honking" (cant describe it any other way) sound when taking off from a stop? It doesn't happen all the time and I never heard it when I test drove it. I have not towed anything as of yet.

I also need to know what transmission is in it.

Thanks!
    Mike
  • joopdogjoopdog Member Posts: 1
    I have the following:
    1996 Chevy Pickup truck
    V6 4.3L engine

When I accelerate from 1st to 2nd gear (10-15 mph) I get this noticeable clunk noise. It all started on Monday (09-21-2009), it just started out of the blue. No gradual noises, no warnings.

I believe it's coming from the transmission. And now, it's beginning to leak. I see wet spots under my truck that I've never seen before.

What is this? Do I need a new transmission? I hope not, I don't have the expense for this.

Any help would be appreicated.
  • mudd_lovermudd_lover Member Posts: 1
    i have an 88 silverado 1500 with the 700 r 4 tranny. i pulled my buddy out of the mud and the next day it didnt want to shift itself into 1st. so i would be leaving stoplights in 2nd gear. it would only go into first if i shifted it manualy on the collum. then when i would come to a stop the truck would die. it only wants to run in park or neutral. i can can get it to move if i rev it up to about 1700 rpm and drop it into gear and once im moving its fine. i was told it was the torqe converter. does anyone else have any ideas or have had a similiar problem? it is a rebuilt tranny with only 3000 miles on it.

thanks

Nick
  • chevygirl86chevygirl86 Member Posts: 1
    My automatic transmission is not shifting grears when it's on drive but if i shift from frist to second it will do it and then second to third it won't do anything it acts like its on neutral. Does anybody know whats wrong with it?can anybody help me!?!?! :confuse:
    I posted back in May about my duramax, now just because yours may no be a duramax or an allison, DOESN'T mean you shouldnt read. My truck is STILL being worked on, and its OCTOBER! We found that there are many electronic components on the OUTSIDE of the tranny that can really screw things up if they get wet. On ours it was the "range switch" AKA "Park-Neutral Position Switch" AKA "Neutral-Back-up safety switch". Its a little electronic box on the outside of the tranny that relays info from your PRNDL display in the cab, to the transmission....If it gets wet, it will fry and your tranny won't work properly. It getting wet is caused by DIRECT water spray from a left turn onto this part (If the front and rear shields are NOT properly installed. We also found that, some of the wires going to different solenoids are shorted, that is what is being fixed now. Usually if you take your vehicle to a shop, they will scan it for codes....for FREE, just call around to find someone! its worth the drive and the time!
    Sounds like your truck may be in limp mode, you need to take it to a SPECIALTY transmission shop and have them run a diagnostic. Do your research on what they tell you and then go from there. Make sure you find on that will be honest with you, not one that will tell you it needs to be totally over-hauled if it only needs one part replaced.
  • sierrasommetssierrasommets Member Posts: 1
    I've a 2003 Chevy Silverado and mine does that almost every time I accelerate from a stop. Not sure what it is....
    Diesel? If it is, it has an allison. Mine is an 01 and has the allison 1000 in it, the newest ones have 3000's and 4000's in them. I suggest taking it in for a diagnostic. It could be any number of things.
  • truckman44truckman44 Member Posts: 2
    I recently joined this group after reading all the "real world" information here about our great American icon giant, GM.

Being a GM guy most of my life, I bought a 1995 GMC Sierra W/T 4.3 V6 w/5 speed tranny in March '95. Tag says truck was built in Canada. With 6 miles on the odometer, I left the dealership when at the moment I first let off the clutch, the floor shifter popped out of first gear and slammed into the palm of my hand, nearly breaking my wrist. I simply thought this was my error of not having the shifter properly engaged, so I went along my happy way. About a month later while at a stop light, the same thing happened and again a month after that. I brought the truck back to the dealer to investigate the problem. They kept the truck 2 days before calling me to say they could not duplicate the symptom or find anything wrong. The problem continued once or twice monthly until it began occurring more often. The truck went back to the dealer 5 times thereafter with this problem. Each time they said they could not find or acknowledge any tranny problem.

The truck's first year saw over 65k miles using 1st gear only at times when necessary (I had gotten used to it). By the third year, the problem had become so severe, it occurred almost every time while starting out from first, until at 278k miles, the tranny finally locked up one day requiring the truck to be towed to a transmission shop.

The truck has always been serviced by the dealership during warranty. All fluids were replaced with the proper GM fluids, but they never would acknowledge this problem. I finally stopped using the dealership for service. Warranty had long run its course.

At my expense, I had the tranny replaced with a used low mileage one as the shop said the original tranny had "melted" on the inside and although they had seen this condition before, it could not be rebuilt. One week and $2k later, the truck was serving me faithfully on the road again, only this time, for the first time in it's life, I was able to use 1st gear normally with no problems at all. Wow!

At 427k miles, the second tranny became extremely difficult to shift into first and sometimes second gear. Another visit to the shop for a $1.6k shifter kit overhaul modification of some kind, it was almost like new again. They told me to "baby" it and it might get me by for two more years.

Today, at 1/2 million miles on the odometer, this second $2k tranny with it's $1.6k shifter mod is now beginning to "melt down" on the inside (as they described it) like the first one did, although, it has never popped out of 1st gear like the original tranny did. Oh well, I can't complain! Will I go for a third tranny or not? After all, this truck has served me VERY well with an engine having never seen a wrench, burns/leaks no oil from oil change to oil change, performs reliably as a GM built work truck should and still gets me 23 MPG to this day! This leaves me to ponder one valid question:

Why can't GM build transmissions to perform like that V6, 4.3 engine???
  • katyc6katyc6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Silverado. It shifts hard from 1st to 2nd then it won't shift into 3rd it is like it is in neutral. We have replaced the 2 soilinoids in it but it still isn't working right. We were told that it could be the speed sensor but haven't tried it yet. Does anyone know if it would be the speed sensor or what else it could be.
  • truckman44truckman44 Member Posts: 2
    Howdy. My nephew has a '98 Silverado Ext Cab Z71 with a 4 speed automatic transmission that has always shifted very hard from 1st to 2nd but it shifts into other gears smoothly and without any issues. The hard shifting from 1st to 2nd only occurs at times and mostly after the truck has reached full normal operating temperature. When it's cold, it shifts smoothly. Sometimes, even hot, it's smooth but most times it's rough and hard. He hasn't done anything yet except talk to a transmission shop specialist who told him the transmission was fixing to go out and not change the fluid or for sure it would go out. That was 130,000 miles ago. He's been driving it like this all this time. The fluid is almost black in color and smells terrible! I kept telling him to change the fluid and filter but he would never do it. His truck now has 235,000 miles and it's still going just like it ever did. He even pulls a horse trailer loaded with horses and it hasn't gone out yet. I find this very interesting!

I know of several people who own a Silverado with this same problem, but it seems the correct answer for each problem is not easy. Most all newer transmissions are now electronically controlled and there seems to be several issues that relate to this hard shifting from 1st to 2nd. What may be the answer for one "hard shifting" problem may not necessarily be the correct answer for another, so it seems.

I'm not a transmission specialist, but it seems reasonable to conclude that heat will destroy an automatic transmission quicker than anything. Towing heavy loads produce lots of heat. Dirty fluid will produce excessive wear and tear, and ultimate failure of mechanical parts. It's just common sense. Keep the transmission cool as possible, keep the fluids clean as possible and it will likely last longer ... but things can go wrong also with the various mechanical and electronic components that must ALL be working properly in order to render proper operation of the transmission.

I realize this may not be much help in your specific problem, but I thought I would mention this information since it is the same problem you are experiencing. There are many fantastic guys here that can shed more light on this subject, so a little patience and maybe we will both learn some interesting facts in the days ahead. Keep us posted on your findings and I'll do the same. Best ...
  • 43spider43spider Member Posts: 1
    2002 2500hd with durmax and allison transmission. when shift park to drive indecator light doesn't light up. will move and reverse is fine but no light or in neutral. fluid is clean and full when cold all works fine but when warm it acts up and service engine soon light stays on. any ideas?
  • sheena24sheena24 Member Posts: 1
    My boyfriend has a 2002 Sierra automatic that will suddenly rev up, raising the tach, but not increase the speed. It would be as if, with a manual tranny, the clutch and accelerator are depressed at the same time. He'll shift to 3rd and it will seem to stop, but it has done it in 3rd gear too. It's been happening for a few years, mostly on the highway at faster speeds, but now it's started doing it at city speeds (25/30 mph). He took it in yesterday and they changed a recalled speed sensor (which he thought might be the problem), and they changed the tranny fluid. Within an hour of getting it back yesterday, it did it again a few times. About a year ago he took it to a tranny specialist and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.
  • revdimararevdimara Member Posts: 1
    My transmission shifts fine when driving but when I need to pass someone it will not shift the tack buries itself and the truck wont speed forward.???