Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

avanger9220avanger9220 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2017 in Chevrolet
I have a 2001 chevy silverado 1500 5.3l v8. I am wondering if it anyone has any information on what it takes to convert it from a automatic transmissio to a manual transmission. I love my truck but i dislike the fact that chevy wouldn't offer a manual as a option on this truck.

See also: 10 Most Common Transmission Problems

Comments

• vp46vp46 Member Posts: 6
    Let me know what you find out........the Aitmoatic Tranny in my truck blows Goats and with only 15k miles I prefer the reliability of a Manual anyway.
  • renegade0351renegade0351 Member Posts: 1
    anyone with a 99-02 silverado{automatic}having tranny problems, it jerk's with changing gears, doesn't do it all the time just some time's, some time's you can cut the engine off and re-start and the problem goes away and sometime's not. who else is having this problem and how did you fix it?
    thanks for any help in advance.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Sold it and bought a Nissan Titan.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose and evidently, these trucks are full of intermittent problems as identified in the Silverado/Sierra problems and solutions.....
  • smbobsmbob Member Posts: 2
    my 1998 gmc savanna van has a tranny quirk. when you accelerate from a stop you have to let up on the gas to shift from 1st to 2nd. it shifts fine after that until you slow down enough to drop back into first.have driven it many miles with this problem but it will still drive anywhere and back. any ideas? trans has 147,000 miles
  • gwilliamsongwilliamson Member Posts: 1
    it may be a sticky 1-2 shift valve. Try some trans valve fix from P.B Blaster. You may have to drive it for a while to clean up the valve body. I am a transmission rebuilder and have used it many times.
  • smbobsmbob Member Posts: 2
    hey thanks for the advice. i'll give it a shot and post the results :)
  • hdguy1hdguy1 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i have a '02 2500 with a 6ltr. with towing package. i just had the transmission flushed at 30k,my mech. told me that he didn't like the looks of the fluid, he said it looked like the transmission had been worked hard for some time. also the fluid was very dark. i also notice that the temp guage for the tranny always reads about 200degrees when i'm towing, is this normal? do i need to install a bigger cooling coil? any help would be great.
  • dave95348dave95348 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Other than the obvious, what does the HOT TRANSMISSION error message mean from the D.I.C.?

Thanks.

Dave
  • davech2odavech2o Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a little info on my 4L80E trans that will not move when switched to reverse, there was a slight squealing noise when going from drive to reverse and then it stopped moving. All drive gears work fine, I read a page from alldata that it could be the sun gear coming out of the sun case. I would appreciate some kind of info.
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    I have to agree with your mechanic....trans fluid at 30K shouldn't be dark or burnt smelling unless it has been abused.

I would say that the towing temp would be in the correct range, depending on the weight you are towing and the type terrain.

Do you just tow intermittently or most of the time?

What weight are you towing and in what sort of terrain and open higway or in city traffic?

Just to be on the safe side I would go ahead and install a bigger after-market cooler.
  • dave95348dave95348 Member Posts: 2
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If you've overheated your fluid, you need to get that trans serviced as soon as possible. The fluid has probably been weakened to the point where continued use can lead to trans failure (been there, done that).

kcram - Pickups Host
  • jryan2jryan2 Member Posts: 1
    i am looking for a new truck and was going to go with late 90's to early 2000 model but have heard of transmission issues. is it one specific trans or chevy in general?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    is it one specific trans or chevy in general?
    Yep as in general motors
  • mfk8mfk8 Member Posts: 1
    1999 GMC SIERRA 1500

Problem: Truck is not shifting into reverse, and makes and winding noise in reverse. When driving, shifting from 1st to 2nd I have to let off the gas to make it shift. Other gears will shift on their own but with a slight delay. Thanks
  • lil_elil_e Member Posts: 6
  • lil_elil_e Member Posts: 6
    how hard would it be to put a B&M shifter kit in a 92 silverado
  • blarocheblaroche Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have recently been noticing a possible problem with my 2003 Silverado (automatic transmission/4 wheel drive system) Z-71. The problem is kind of weird in that the transmission seems to be working harder then normal under normal operating conditions. The truck only has 40,000 miles on it and has really only been used on the highway. It almost seems that the truck isn't driving as smoothly as it once did. Almost as if the front end is ready to lock into 4 wheel drive when only 2 wheel drive is selected. I also had one instance where the transmission seemed to slip back into neutral. I even had a passenger ask if I was dragging something the other day. I have noticed some slight changes in the handling characteristics of this vehicle but nothing that I thought was serious. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks for any assistence.
  • tjusticetjustice Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a 1996 Chevy Silverado pickup truck. It has a automatic overdrive transmission. I recently had the transmission filter replaced and put about 5 quarts of dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid in it. So I thought that it would shift right but I was wrong. It shifts into first at about 10 mph but when it goes to shift into second (which is suppose to shift at about 30 mph.) it doesn't shift i even had it up to 35-40 mph I would appreciate any advice that anyone can give to me.
  • litalow79litalow79 Member Posts: 10
    Hello, I have a 1990 GMC 1 ton truck, 454 ex-cab 4x4. We recently had a new-rebuilt motor installed and has MAYBE 300 miles on it. It had a new clutch installed as well...
    Now when I shift into 2nd gear it makes a slipping-whining noise, I dont know if I have a clutch problem or a tranny problem. The truck is low geared, so I mostly start out in 2nd gear. I have not noticed any problem in any other gears.
    The second problem is that the fuel pump will not always shut off when the truck is shut off and runs the battery down if I dont dis-connect it each night. Any help would be appreciated, thanks R.R.
  • cfernetscfernets Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem with my 2001 Sierra. Did you figure out what the problem was?
  • jsross44jsross44 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 silverado ext cab Z71 that makes a clunk noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear under a light throttle condition. It dosen't seem to do it when i'm heavy on the throttle. I was told by chevrolet it is caused by a tall second gear and is normal and will not do any harm to the tranny. Has anyone else out there had this problem with their silverado's transmission and had it fixed. Outside of this annoying clunk the tranny shifts fast and tight.
  • chronic_mkachronic_mka Member Posts: 1
    Hey. I have a 1999 silverado 1500 and does the exact same thing. Right now I just have it parked and don't use it. Did you get it fixed? what is wrong with it?
    It appears to be the common problem of sun gear failure. From what I read on the net, the only thing to do is rebuild the tranny or get a new one. The GM dealership here said it would likely be $1000 just to diagnose the problem, as they would likely have to tear down the transmission. Mine is parked for now. I'm getting a salvage transmission with low km's on it and selling the truck before it happens again.
    I was told by chevrolet that this 2nd to 3rd gear clunk is normal and there isn't a fix for it. I'm looking for more info from other silverado owners on this auto tranny problem before i bring it back and fight with the dealer. I've already been through tranny problems with my former truck a 2000 dodge ram 1500, the auto tranny in it sucked and i'm not looking forward to going down that road again.
    Yeah, I'm aware that they say it's a common problem......as long as nothing comes out of it. I had the same "non-problem" clunk happen, and that's when everything went to hell. Now, I've heard the clunk before, and nothing happened afterwards, but I guess this was the final straw. My theory is that the clunk problem cumulates, and you might be able to get away with a hundred, a thousand, or ten thousand clunks with no repercussions until one day some component of your tranny cannot take it anymore and fails. Most likely after it's off warranty and GM doesn't have to deal with it anymore.
  • ibis85ibis85 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 silverado. This morning out of no where I felt my trucks transmission different. As I left for work my transmission felt like it wasnt in the right gear. Asi accelerated from a complete stop the truck would not accelerate with any power until it got to about 25 mph. When I put my truck in 1st gear and 2nd gear manually it felt perfect however when I put it in drive it felt like I had manually put it in 3rd gear and was trying to accelerate from a complete stop. What the hell is going on?!
    My current truck is a 2005 chevy silverado with a clunk noise between 2nd and 3rd gear, it doesn't do it all the time but it still annoys me, i'm still trying to gathering info and find out whats causing that, the dealer says its normal. As far as your problem with your 2002 silverado tranny. I had that same problem with my old truck, a 2000 dodge ram. When the weather was real cold out, down in the single digits, the tranny would start out in second gear and had to be shifted manually until it warmed up. Then after the warranty when the tranny started acting up(it would go completely out of gear when it downshifted)dodge didn't love me anymore like they did the day i bought it and it cost me some serious money to get it repaired. It never really worked right after that so i ended up trading it in for the chevy.
  • ibis85ibis85 Member Posts: 2
    It wasnt that cold this morning where I live. Only about 40 or so. Also, the problem didnt go away once it warmed up. However, when I went out to grab some lunch the transmission was back to normal. Which in a way bothers me more because the problem might be harder to fix if its not a consistent thing that a mechanic can see. This makes me think of a previous post I read in this forum where the problem would go away when the truck was turned off and turned back on again. Also, I forgot to mention that this morning when this problem began my "service engine soon" light came on as well. The transmission problem seems to be gone for the moment but the light remains. Although I'm quite sure the light comes on when theres an emission problem. Either way, its been a bad day for my truck and I wish I knew what the cause was, if any, and how to fix it.
    Auto Tranny problems are harder to fix when they have mystery problems. My dodge ram 1500 had tranny mystery problems starting at about 34,000 miles just before the warranty was up. The symptoms were slight slipage at about 60 mph, of about 200 rpms several times and then it would stop until i dropped below 60 and then would start over again. I always thought it was the torque converter having problems locking up. It also had problems with erratic shifting in and out of first and second gear when making a turn, it would hunt back and forth between first and second gear several times, plus the problem it had starting out in second gear when it was cold out. I had it back to the dealer about three times over the next few thousand miles, they scoped checked it for trouble codes, and couldn't find any. The tech took it out for test drives and it wouldn't do it. I was told they couldn't do anything untill they diagnosed the problem and swap the faulty part out, but not to worry, they have it on record. So i drove it that way for another couple of years untill it failed and as i mentioned earlier it cost a few bucks to fix it(so much for having the complaints on record). I'm a little nervous about this 2nd to 3rd clunk i get with my silverado transmission occasionally because i've been down this road once before, don't want to go there again. Hope you have better luck finding the problem then i did.
    Auto Tranny problems are harder to fix when they have mystery problems. My dodge ram 1500 had tranny mystery problems starting at about 34,000 miles just before the warranty was up. The symptoms were slight slipage at about 60 mph, of about 200 rpms several times and then it would stop until i dropped below 60 and then would start over again. I always thought it was the torque converter having problems locking up. It also had problems with erratic shifting in and out of first and second gear when making a turn, it would hunt back and forth between first and second gear several times, plus the problem it had starting out in second gear when it was cold out. I had it back to the dealer about three times over the next few thousand miles, they scoped checked it for trouble codes, and couldn't find any. The tech took it out for test drives and it wouldn't do it. I was told they couldn't do anything untill they diagnosed the problem and swap the faulty part out, but not to worry, they have it on record. So i drove it that way for another couple of years untill it failed and as i mentioned earlier it cost a few bucks to fix it(so much for having the complaints on record). I'm a little nervous about this 2nd to 3rd clunk i get with my silverado transmission occasionally because i've been down this road once before, don't want to go there again. Hope you have better luck finding the problem then i did.
  • bohunkbohunk Member Posts: 1
    When I am at low speeds (aka: parking lots,traffic,etc.) It feels like there's a delay when its going forward or in reverse. The best way I can describe it is, it feels as if its loose or hitting against another part. The feeling does not occur at higher speeds. I would appreciate any info on this matter.

Thanks
  • brix92brix92 Member Posts: 8
    I bought a 2007 Classic 1500HD in October and to me, it does seem somewhat sluggish when I go forward after I start it up and am putting it into drive,and/or reverse. It doesn't feel to me though like anything is loose or one part hitting another. It does kind of seem that something isn't connecting quickly, if that makes sense.

Are there any other problems you are having with this truck? I would like to know!
  • manessmaness Member Posts: 2
    I have 2004 2500 HD with a 5 speed allison transmission. It will not shift into overdrive until you get over 2500 rpm and you still have to let off the gas to make it go into overdrive. if you don't let up it will not shift into overdrive.I need to know if the ecu reflash will help the situation or not. It gives the trouble code p700 and also a wierd U2104 and U2105. My book does not have the meaning of these codes in it. Please let me know if you can help..
  • augustblewaugustblew Member Posts: 1
    To blaroche;
    I own a 1999 Silverado Z-71 4x4 bought used, and loved it.
    Now after 77350miles transmission went,no kind of warning just broke down,managed to get to Clinton Chevy Dealer and was told I need a new trans. They put a new rebuilt in truck gave me 75,000 mile 3year warranty for $3420.00 bucks well the truck made it to 99,925 thats only 22,925 miles but as luck would have it I was over the 3-Year limit by 63Days and was sent on my way Busted Truck and all. So much for customer service. Now before the tranny went the 2nd time the Truck needed a new "REAR" $1200 bucks and lets not forget the Brake lines along the frame rail blew a hole and was unable to stop. Lesson= I WILL NEVER OWN CHEVY TRUCK WHILE I AM ON THIS PLANET! GOOD LUCK TOO YOU A.R.BLEW
  • duanefduanef Member Posts: 1
    :) have a 2004 gmc sierra the knob on the radio seems to be
    waring out any suggestions.
  • rvd24rvd24 Member Posts: 1
    have a 2004 gmc sierra the knob on the radio seems to be
    waring out any suggestions.

...........you could try singing to yourself.

kidding. i'm trying to laugh. backed out of my parking spot at work today put my 02 silverado in drive and BAM!!
    had forward gears but man did they whine. pulled into a gas station for a look-see and found out i no longer had reverse. towed to a tranmission shop for the good news. "busted sun gear,common problem".i guess i faired a little better than some of you guys. i've got 95k miles on her and he says about 14-1500 total rebuild.
  • jjl2jjl2 Member Posts: 1
    Owned GM trucks since I bought my first 2WD HD GMC new in 1977. Always been the Chevy guy in the Ford Chevy debates - trucks, nascar, you name it. My fifth GM truck bought new, June 2005. 1/2 ton Silverado work truck - 4x4, I always have tool boxes, ladder racks and usually plows on-board, that's how I make my living. Newest truck has tranny shift problem, GM is aware, has no fix. It's results in a loud draintrain lash clunk that's make me think the universals are going. Also have the lash in the steering linkage/shaft. It's been greased at the dealership 3 times. GM is aware, there is no fix. The rattle is loud when this happens, feels like the front end is going to fall out, I can feel the vibration through the floor. Also, I have the problem when I roll ahead to stop and back into my driveway, my steering turns hard or not at all, until my truck is in motion. It feels like my tires are touching a curb and can't turn. Again, GM is aware of the problem, claims it is normal. Have also had the truck into the garage on 6 occasions when the check engine light came on. I work my trucks, but am easy on them, got 175,000 miles on my last plow truck without ever touching a front end part or having tranny trouble. Also, what part of Southern Florida did the engineer hail from that designed the no-lift windshield wipers. I can't even fit my snow brush under them. Anybody else have excess quality problems with their newer GM?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    U2104 CAN Bus Reset Counter Overrun
    U2105 CAN Bus Error ECM
    P0700 is Transmission Control System Malfunction

Sounds like your Allison has a computer glitch. Dealer will have to diagnose that.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • arcaracerarcaracer Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I have a slight issue,
    I have a 4l60-E transmission with no reverse, It had reverse when I took the trans out to replace a broken pump. The truck is locked down and will not move even in neutral. It shifts and everything in other gears, what could the problem be? any clues?
    I have a 2005 chevy silverado ext.cab, auto transmission with a second to third gear clunk. It happens under a light throttle condition, when I'm on the gas it doesn't seem to do it. Chevy is aware of the problem and they told me the same thing, there's no fix for it. I also had the same problem with a steering wheel rattle when the truck turned 8 months old. If the road was bumpy i would hear and feel the rattling in the steering wheel. Chevy is aware of this problem and there is a fix for it. They replaced the intermediate steering shaft for me, it was covered under the warranty. I haven't had any steering wheel rattles since they replaced that shaft a year and a half ago. They told me they were getting their steering shafts from a different supplier. The battery also went bad and the dealership replaced it when the truck was a year old, that was covered by the warranty to. Other than those three problems its been a great truck. Its a little thirsty, I'm only getting 14.9 mpg in the city with the 5.3 HO.vortec under a light throttle, if i go any lighter on the gas I'll be going backwards. I just installed a K&N filter the other day, and I'm hoping it will get me another two or three mpg.
  • maxwell10maxwell10 Member Posts: 29
  • maxwell10maxwell10 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2000 model (old style) ¾ ton Chevy pickup with 350 motor, automatic transmission and 72,000 miles. A few months ago my transmission shifted hard from 1st to 2nd a few times then started working properly. Within the last month it shifted out of OD on a hill, but would not shift back to OD once I was on a level road. It has done this 3 or 4 times. I ask the Chevrolet Service Manager about the problem and he said it was probably the shifting valves or ignition switch.

He said next time it did this, to stop, turn motor off, then start it up again and see if transmission shifts properly. If not, the problem is in the shift valves. My transmission did not correct itself.

On this forum an Chevrolet Service Tech said to try LUBEGARD in the transmission and many times it will free the shift valves. I did this: http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf_mv.html

I have driven the truck over 300 miles and it has shifted perfect, even shifted out of OD on a hill and back into OD once I was on a level road.

If I had any money I would invest in this company.

Just my opinion.
  • steelweelssteelweels Member Posts: 4
  • steelweelssteelweels Member Posts: 4
    89 c2500 2wd 200,000 + miles, tranny wont go past 45 mph and sounds like it is struggling to move truck, sounds like somethinhg is turning hard, at times when starting out acts like it slips but then goes, fluid is ok, changed filter or screen and fluid last summer, was great for a few weeeks then acted up again, some days it is fine, not sure what to try, torque converter, tranny, cant afford shop or $700.00 rebuild at this time, need to get gmc on road first.
  • azmike07azmike07 Member Posts: 2
  • azmike07azmike07 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 07 Silverado ext cab 1500.
    I've noticed it shifts kinda rough at low speeds or when its downshifting from first to second.
    Parking lots are where I notice this most of the time should I be worried about it or has anyone else noticed this?
  • ariles7ariles7 Member Posts: 2
    I have just bought a 2005 Silverado 2500. I love the truck and it gets great gas milage and runs great, but I hear a clanking noise when I shift gears. Like something is loose. (5 speed trans.) I have taken it to my local dealer since the dealer I bought it from is 2 hours away. I have emailed the GM company and they said try another dealer and if I am not satisfied with their diagnoses, let GM know and they will make it right. Most people I talk to say it is normal. I just wonder if it normal or if it is a real
    problem that GM is trying to avoid. Should we join forces and contact the consumer protection agency or something?
  • ariles7ariles7 Member Posts: 2
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    HMMMMMMM.....You have 1 RARE truck....A 2500 5 speed ?
    Miles? 2 or 4wd? auto or stick??????//

Take it to another dealer...............