Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• ddowneddowne Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Silverado that shifts hard 1st to 2nd, then stutters before it shifts into third. It is almost like it is in neutral for a second and the engine revs slightly before it goes into 3rd. Any suggestions?
  • shottyshotty Member Posts: 1
    The 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3L with 170k has done well, however, recently is experience indecisiveness when on a 60 mph hill. Truck should downshift from overdrive, but bangs into third and back up repeatedly unless I really hammer on the fuel. My solution has been manual shifting on all hills, which sucks. Anyone have an idea or course of action? The tranny works well other than this quirk.
  • blainec9310blainec9310 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this truck about a month ago and want to figure out what they heck is going on before its out of warranty.

When I am stopped and turning right onto another road if my back right drive tire starts to slip, the truck starts to jerk violently. If I am pointing straight ahead and the same thing happens the truck doesn't jolt at all. I am new with the truck stuff so I don't know if this is normal or not. I was told it might be a locking rear differential kicking in?

Help me out!

2000 Sierra
    100K w/4wd
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Yep sounds like a locker to me.
  • bumperdudebumperdude Member Posts: 19
    dammit man that sounds bad. its not going to get better! send'er back.
  • dave1212dave1212 Member Posts: 1
    Ditto,
    I have exactly the same issue. Truck shifts fine if you are heavy footed. If you drive normal seem to have problem with shift in 20 to 30 mph range. Been told truck is within specs. Bull. My opinion GM doesn't want to foot bill. Several notes on this issue. Just dealt with several levels at GM. Their answer take it to different dealer. Get different diagnosis. Bull. My answer is get our tax money back fom GM, let them go out of business and look at a different company who stands behind their products. They sure treated us differently when they collected the 35000 dollars for their piece of crap. Can you tell I am a little upset. I bought my truck new. It has never been neglected. Always did maintenance. Now I must live with this issue. My problem is much worse when towing. Wish I had the answer. I am going to continue to research issue.
  • myrvhaulermyrvhauler Member Posts: 4
  • myrvhaulermyrvhauler Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 2500HD with the Allison Transmission.

While driving this morning, the truck seemed to stutter and wanted to stop running. The truck did continue to run, but the engine light immediately came on.

I used a Actron CP9135 diagnostic tool and received the following codes:

P0087 - Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low
    P0700 - Transmission Control System Failure

Does this diagnostic system work for the duramax?
  • zoomer953zoomer953 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Shotty,
    Sounds like you and I may have the same type problem. My 2002 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton has 90K miles on it and has started having a problem just recently. It seems to be fluttering in and out of OD-Torque Converter when you first start uphill. If you push the pedal down a little and let it go into gear it does ok until it reaches a higher speed. Once your speed levels off the cycle starts all over again. Sometimes it will do a small clunk which it has never done before. I wonder if this model has some type of Overdrive Solenoid that has gone bad. If anyone can help we will appreciate it
    Thanks,
    zoomer953
  • zoomer953zoomer953 Member Posts: 2
    Ref_2002GMC1500SierraPickup,

Recently my 2002 GMC automatic trans pickup started having some shifting issues on the top end from 4 th to overdrive. It feels like it is fluttering in and out of OD when it gets the slightest bit of uphill pressure. Maybe the torque converter is kicking in and out. Sometimes it actually makes a slight little clunk when it changes a little hard. I changed the trans oil and filter in but it actually made it worse which I understand can happen. Can anyone tell me if this thing has a Overdrive Solenoid or some type switch that may have gone bad? Don't need a big bill right now !!

Thanks,
    zoomer953
  • woodman1062woodman1062 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab that constantly is making a rattling noise at 35 - 50mph. It occurs when I step on the gas enough to engage the engine. It seems to be an issue with possibly the overdrive gear since if I drive with it in 3rd, it never happens. It acts like it wants to either downshift or stay in overdrive but can't make up its mind and that is when the rattling in the engine compartment takes place. It is annoying but more so concerning since the truck has 21K miles on it and it just doesn't make sense that it only happens from 35 to 50mph and at 1500 RPMs or less. Just don't know if there is something bigger here.

Been to the dealership twice, they have no told me to contact GM to see if they have any information on a possible fix or whether they have seen or heard anything like this. Truck runs the balls otherwise with the exception of 35 to 50.
    I have a fleet with 4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines. never had that problem. I would have it serviced to see if a fluid change would help. good luck.
    What you are describing is nothing new and is due to the torque converter lock up at approximately 39 mph causing the engine to lug. It due to the large gap between 3rd and 4th gears and has been around since '99.
  • jacob88jacob88 Member Posts: 1
    need to figure out a problem im having.. my trucks got a 350 and 4l60e and its 4x4 if im stopped a light or something and i stomp on it, it'll kinda stutter or will die i cant burn out or anything, if i just gradually push the gas its just fine. 1 person said this is my fuel pump but its not humming or whistling and if the trucks in p or n and i rev it up it doesnt stutter or anything, any ideas? fuel or trans? thanks
  • hrsliderhrslider Member Posts: 1
    I recently replaced my trans filter and pan gasket and the truck was running perfectly prior but now will not go forward in drive. Reverse is perfect yet when put in drive you have to give it all kinds of gas and raise the rpms up high in order to move forward almost like its trying to drag a freight train. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • silverado16silverado16 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 01 silverado with 60k on it (auto 4x4 4.8 v8). bought it from a guy who did some light vacation towing and commuted with it. went to get a 60k check and the mechanics told me you got a solid truck ( no problems, leaks, discoloration or nuthin). well i live in queens NY( no hills) so i decided to take it up state, shifted smoothly the whole way, BUT when you hit your first incline it slows down a bit and makes this squeeling, metal like bending noise, then you aplly some pressure to the pedal it goes good, then when you let off the pedal goes back to the noise, whats the problem? whats the cost$..thanks need all the help i can get
  • silverado16silverado16 Member Posts: 3
    ?
  • wilefoxwilefox Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used Z71 Silverado with a 5.3l Vortec and 4 spd. auto transmission, Four wheel drive, extended cab, short box.

Today, the transmission started slipping. Feels like it moves into neutral and the engine revs increase. Fluid is on the full mark, has a nice red color and does not smell burnt.

Had a major snow storm this weekend, so I have been using 4x4 a lot, shifting from Auto, to 2H, to 4H.

Could the problem be in the transmission itself, or could it be the transfer case slipping into neutral?
  • luweeeluweee Member Posts: 2
    Wilefox.

Have 05 silverado 5.3 liter.... got towed from whiting Iowa to freemont nebraska @ bout 2pm today... tranny kicking in and out. boosting rpms from 1800 to 2500 everyonce in awhile.. then was like it was stuck in 3rd gear or something. went to 3000 rpms for bout 2 miles... I slowed down. to 45 mph... then tranny hot errror popped up I pulled over called AAA had her towed. Power train warranty expires Dec 29th 2009. 5yr/500000... I have 46000 on her. I have read lots of probs... weird to see ours went out bout same time same day.
  • luweeeluweee Member Posts: 2
    wilefox

update

called dealer this AM to tell them the truck is sitting outside. they notified me that they had 4 vehicles from last week with tranny probs and mine and a couple others came in over weekend.

Interesting .... i will keep u posted on what happens... let me know what you find too!
  • chris221chris221 Member Posts: 1
    I think I have the same problem as you woodman1062. I have a 07 GMC SIERRA 4X4 and I have a bad vibration anywhere between 1000-2000 rpms, but it only occures in the overdrive gear. The other gears work and shift fine other than this vibration in OD gear. I haven't found the problem yet, but when i do I will let you know if you find out let me know. thanks
  • bullfrogwbullfrogw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Z71 will not change into 3rd or 4th gear but 1st and 2nd are fine some people have told me there is a relay for the trans.that might be bad
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Unlikely, you probably need a rebuild.
  • 2di4lady2di4lady Member Posts: 2
    My 98 gmc z71 is doing the same thing did you get your fixed and what was the problem
  • 2di4lady2di4lady Member Posts: 2
  • blainec9310blainec9310 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 has been having trouble shifting from 3rd to OD latley since it has been so cold (15-20 deg). It's like the computer is telling it to not shift. But sure enough about 2 miles into the morning commute, running 60 it decides the transmission is fine and shifts just like normal and I dont have problems with it the rest of the day. I have noticed this ocassionally at lower gears also but only when the truck is really cold and sits overnight. The people I had do an inspection when I bought it said the transmission was in perfect shape and the fluids were clean. Any suggestions before I dump money in to get it looked at?

Thanks
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Check your owners manual.
    I know on my 09, that overdrive is locked out by the computer when temps are too cold. My truck behaves just like yours does in cold weather in the morning, I have to drive until engine temp is at least 160 before truck will shift into OD.
  • dwbarrondwbarron Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 1500 silverado classic that has a recent issue. As the temp. increases, it gets worse. When leaving a red light, the tranny shifts from 1st to second, but after the shift, there is a jolt. The engine doesn't change rpms or anything. I even think it actually shifts. But the jolt is unusual. Anyone have this problem?
  • skipper_01skipper_01 Member Posts: 1
    My truck has the exact same problem. Jolts when it shifts to second. Doesn't do it everytime. Seems worse when I'm going slow. I don't notice it if I'm really getting on it...I just got on this site today to see if I could get an answer. Someone please help us!

Mine is a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500. 58,000 miles. It's got the 6.0 liter. Not sure the specifics on the transmission.
  • jimittjimitt Member Posts: 1
    I also have this problem and have talked with others that have. Check with dealer at one time they say live with it they know of the problem but? I bought this truck hoping to have a smooth shifting truck. 07 GMC Z-71
  • Lady3bgloverLady3bglover Member Posts: 24
    Go over the dealership's head, http://www.gmc.com/contactus/index.jsp
    There is a contact us phone number on this link.

I had 2 Chevy transmissions crap out on me, and the third is a performance trans that I had built. You don't want to spend what I did, especially if you're still under warranty.

That stealership is being lazy. Get to the Regional GM Rep.
  • grumphygrumphy Member Posts: 6
    I have an 04 silverado that does the same thing.
    it now has 1338000 miles.
    its been doing this since it got it brand new.
    the dealer said there was no problem.
    Joe
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    1338000... ;) That's alot of miles.
  • recon0302recon0302 Member Posts: 1
    My tranny gauge suddenly started reading high (almost max) - had everything cleaned and fluids/filter changed but still reading hot - repair guy believes possibly gauge is wrong or computer because he can't find anything wrong - after couple of days it still reads between 250 and 300 after about 50 miles of driving - no other issues other than a "shudder" when pushing down on throttle but that only happens occasionally - any ideas or anyone else hear of this? It's driving me crazy especially since I have been reading about tranny problems others are having. Any advice appreciated. 80K on truck and I bought it new. Thanx.
  • macsownmacsown Member Posts: 1
    I have a '91 Silverado with a 30fried. Whilst towing a trailer, I noticed the truck having problems shifting and no power. I found there was no tow kit and tranny fluid was extremely hot. A month later, I have 1st and 2nd but nothing else.
    Before I put out all kinds of money I don't have for diagnostics, I thought I would post here to see if anyone can help.
    I am told it could possibly be a "shift coil". I'm not too mechanically inclined so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
    Brian
  • 88gmc88gmc Member Posts: 1
    i have an 88 gmc and my tranny is doing the same thing i have first and second gear and thats it i changed the tranny and it is still doing it i am out of ideas if any one has input it would be greatly appreciated

thanks
    michael
  • kwadrcr2kwadrcr2 Member Posts: 1
    need help. 1995 silverado z71. says check gauges and then transmission or clutch feels like its slipping. it shows no light under the PRND321 in any gear. it only happens every now and then and when it doesnt do this it drives and shifts fine. after shutting it off or leeting it sit over time it basically resets itself and will drive fine after this time.
    Ops i ment 138000.
    Maybe a solinoied thats getting hot.
  • mlempiremlempire Member Posts: 34
    I have 99K miles, had tranny serviced at 30k intervals, problem started with a shudder while backing uphill towing a trailer. Seemed like clutches were catching and releasing.
    Last night I was backing up, same symptoms but then engine rev'd and no more reverse. Tranny temp got warmer than normal but not in red zone. I hoped it would be better this morning after cooling down overnight. No luck, still no reverse. I talked to an old GM guy at the builder show in Los Wages Nevada last week, he says it is a known issue with the 80 series tranny. Am I in need of a tranny b4 I get my first brake job ? Is the reman tranny from GM that come in a coffin the best bet? If I install it myself is the warranty still valid? I have 3 of these trucks, should I expect them all to have tranny failure at 100k.
  • grlnbootsgrlnboots Member Posts: 1
    had transmission fluid changed. now my transmission vibrates at 40-45mph goes away if i give slight acceleration or back off. Had them check it they said nothing is wrong, . Truck has 38000 miles on it and is not driven "hard" at all. Had same problem with 2000 gmc with the transmission right about the same time it started...Transmission went out 2 months after final payment made. I'm sure it is the tranny humming because it is centered at the center well of the truck and only occurs at that speed it is a hum type vibration.
    Any thoughts, made sure they did not "pump" the fluid out of tranny like some places are doing these days as I hear that does mess with internal parts of tranny.
    When they checked it what exactly did they do to come up with nothing wrong?

I would take whoever worked on it for a ride and let them hear and feel to make sure you're both on the same page.
    I would like to know if you had the truck dropped to a 2/4 or 3/5.?
  • blkgold99blkgold99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71. My Problem just started . I drove my truck home Shifted it into park and noticed that the selector indicated it was in park but the truck was slowly creeping backwards never had that happen before anyone have any ideas (my truck is a 4x4 ) i tried several times to get it to lock in park but it would not just kept creeping backwards (I park on a driveway with a incline. (HELP)
    Not bagging on ya, but there are more than a handful of threads posting problems with Chevy transmissions. I have an '02 Silverado and though I wouldn't trade it for anything, I've been through 4 transmissions. The first 2 GM replaced under warranty, the 3rd was a custom performance build, and the 4th because the stall took a crap in my new transmission that by the way was perfect.

My suggestion, if you are knowingly going to keep your truck for life like I am, is to find a highly reputable transmission builder in your area and go for it.
  • bcrombiebcrombie Member Posts: 1
    hi i have 2000 silverado, i went out this morning and i only had 1,2 and reverse. so i checked my fluid which was a little low, and i topped it up. I let the truck run a quite awhile and decided to drive it in second, after about 8th a mile and shifted into 3rd and then over drive. When i slow down only 1 and 2. Do you think it could be a solinoid. Thank you Bruce
    i never had that problem...... I only had 1 of my 6 silverado trucks get a tranny rebuild but that was at 225,000 miles. I did have the NBS 2007 replaced at 7,000 with no problem, it now has 50,000 on it. Sorry i couldnt help.
    Though my truck is not HD, I did have a Vig 3400 Stall take a crap in my brand new FLT Stage 4 Transmission. The blades for the stalls turbine was not properly heated and finished. Stall was under warranty, money out of my pocket for the transmissions r&r. Check your fluid, if it's not red, you have a problem.
  • walimowalimo Member Posts: 2
    do they make allison transmission for the gmc 1500?
    No