Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• redneckwcfcredneckwcfc Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    I bought it to replace a 2004 trailblazer ( was to small for all my fire gear) nice truck it's my personal vehicle I respond to fire and EMS calls with it , same thing shifts hard between 2nd and 3rd gear have dealt with GM and dealer numerous times, they flushed tranny, took it in to replace the front hub, I looked under truck and found a leak...(.look they had to replace upper and lower lines (leaks) because of techs. wanted to get it in and out from the tranny flush.)when they said there was nothing wrong,,,,, road tested and still did it and was told this was normal (they were in the truck when it did it)...........back and forth ......back and forth...GM called wanted the truck in to do full work over....didn't do it because dealer said nothing was wrong, nothing found....Finally told person at GM that you will find this truck with it strobe lights flashing in pieces as far as she'll go and then they can come pick it up and fix it, then maybe they find some thing wrong. remember it's gray with all the bright flashy lights going you won't miss it ! ........OH wait then it will be my fault for driving it....
    What happened to standing behind your product and not there just for the money.

Thanks for letting me vent......
  • pondrockerpondrocker Member Posts: 18
    I own a 2008 Sierra 5.3 L with AFM. I have 21,000 miles on it. Since 3,000 miles I have been experiencing vibrations when driving & at idle, bearing issues that feel like a hamster in a metal wheel under my feet, 1st to 2nd shift problems that either result in a 2 second delay that gives you whiplash or you can hear & feel the clutch packs moan as they bind up & shift into place. It also drives itself without my foot on the gas pedal & doesnt downshift as you slow down resulting in premature brake wear. The AFM system has me in V4 mode more than V8 & the transition between the modes is far from smooth. When I have brought in in, 3 different dealerships, they say it all is "normal' & to just drive it because I have a 100,000 mile warranty. I even had a dealership tell me they preformed work on it & 2 months later revealed they just said that to make me go away. I really like the truck, until I have to actually drive it. People, It appears that Gm doesnt care about you after the sale, If you are experiencing any of these issues you are not going nuts! If you have trouble with GM dealerships you are not going nuts, I personally believe the dealerships dont even know how to fix these issues. All they want to do is "relearn" or "reflash" the computer which in my case results in drivabilty issues that last for 1,000 miles that also includes UNINTENDED ACCELERATION, there is a glitch in the "relearn" process, I figured it out by not letting them "relearn" the computer, it never happened again after I stopped going to the dealership. In the 11/2 years I have owned this truck I have yet to see anyone from GM or a GM dealership step up to the plate & stand behind their product, its sad. Such a poor way to do business, get the sale & then spit in the consumers face. I would fix it myself but I void the warranty, the way things are going with it I just might need it, what sucks about that is will they really stand behind that warranty, havent seen it yet, so frustrating, this is just my experience and it has been nothing but a living hell, good luck to all!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Have you tried another dealer's serrvice department? Sounds to me like it couldn't hurt. Also for your extended warranty, you could take it to a Chevy or Caddy dealer. I'm assuming the 100 K mile warranty is through GM.
    thanks for the reply, it is a GM warranty if you'ld like to call it such a thing! I've taken it to 3 dealerships numerous times, they are all the same, the lame excuse "normal" operation, all this crap going on with this truck is far from normal. I have 120 plus hrs on phone with GM, a trip to the BBB arbitration because of the unintended acceleration & tranny shift issue. That is where I was told they said they worked on it but really just parked it out back, what a class act. Your response seems naieve & too simple when so many others in these forums are saying the exact same thing, it is my goal to inform my fellow consumers so thay are able to avoid what I have gone through. Love the truck would love it more if GM would stand behind their product & just fix it. Poorly run business that is shorted sighted, you dont screw over people after they drop 30,000 & expect repeat business, idiots. For those that have opposite experiences I am glad, wish I was one of them.
    When you listed your issues with the service advisor did any of them schedule a test drive to confirm the issues that you've stated? One of the major causes of consumer frustration is when the tech writes on the service invoice "could not duplicate condition". A test drive will eliminate the "could not duplicate condition" excuse.

Have you also looked through the Technical Service Bulletins for items that may relate to your conditions? I found that to do the most good. Yes, you will be doing some of the work that the tech should be doing but by identifying the problem and having printed the TSB will save the tech from attempting to look it up as there are literally hundreds per vehicle.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/recalls/index.html

If you want the detailed report you will have to fork over $27.00 for a years membership that also allows you to access repair info on your truck.

During the warranty period of my Silverado, my file exceeded 2" and the dealer supported me when the GM rep called to find out my status for them to try and deny buyback. With all the mods I had done on the truck a buyback wasn't practical so was offered the 5 year/100K miles bumper to bumper GM extended warranty at no charge.

Good luck.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Pondrocker,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing problems with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information so I can look into the situation further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hey Mariah-

Being a GM CSR must keep you busy. Do you know if GM will be assigning CSRs to sites like pickuptrucks.com and GM-trucks.com? Just curious.

Dean
    Hello Dean,
    At this time I don't know if they are going to put on those sites. I will let them know about your suggestion though. Thank you,
  • gmgwmc3gmgwmc3 Member Posts: 3
    I've been out of town and just got back. That';s why I didn;t reply sooner. What was the cost of the transmission control module? I have no check engine light on so should I go to a shop to have it checked? Do you know if it's on the outside of the engine? I don;t know how long my truck has been like this because I don't know how long my truck has been like this as I don't use drive one or two. Iv'e noticed that it slips in drive on the upshifts but not very often. Thank you Please reply

D
    Thank you for the reply & suggestions, I realize you are trying to help & it is appreciated. The truck has been test driven by Service Managers & 2 tranny techs, thats not the problem, they have no solutions but to "relearn" the PCM which results in many drivability issues including Unintended Acceleration, they say GM wont let them fix it or change the computer settings. The truck NEVER operates the same from day to day & GM wont do a thing about it, I am not saying anything new, others on here have expressed concern about the exact same things I am. The troubles you have had prove my point. I dont intend to stop talking poorly about GM & how they will not honor their warranties while running a PR campaign that says its the best in the business, I say prove it. Right now it appears a blatant lie.
    We also have a Hyundai & have never dealt with a finer run company, never a issue with warranty work, kept well informed of recall glitches, the way it should be, maybe I was spoiled!! The GM customer serviceroaming on these forums has asked me to contact them, with 11/2 years dealing with this issue & GM customer service & service depts I remain skeptical but opptimistic, I will post my results, I am done talking about it with them I need action! Thank you again for your assistance.
  • harley883harley883 Member Posts: 4
    I wanted to update everyone on the situation with my transmission failure at 85,000 miles. GM and I talked for about two weeks and they ended up making me to GREAT offers. 1. 20% off on a brand new transmission that cost 3300.00, no offer on a rebuild cuz the dealership already told me that they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again. 2.$ 500-$1000 off on a brand new truck, what a joke I could get that myself. So since I didn't latch on to one of those GREAT DEALS case is closed. Well I had to have my truck running so I purchased a completely rebuilt tranny with the GM bugs taken out. My garage installed it and it seems to be working fine. It cost me 1700.00 dollars total with shipping both ways on the new tranny and my old one and installation. 500.00 cheaper than the dealer plus I got a warranty which they couldn't give me. I found the tranny on Ebay. Well its time to start shopping for something new but from what I have been reading it won't be GM.Tthey have a problem and don't want to admit it so all of us hard working middleclass stiffs are stuck paying for it as usual. I guess my freinds are right about the new GM logo - GOVERMENT MOTORS.
  • stuckinorlandostuckinorlando Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the delayed response, was out of town. The TCM plus labor was 1500. I had it done at a shop as I have no mechanical skills. In fact it took a day longer because the dealership did not program the TCM before selling it to the shop. In addition to no longer having periodic loss of gears, it fixed a couple lingering problems I had since buying the truck used. Now the transmission temp gauge works as does my gear select indicator.
  • gmgwmc3gmgwmc3 Member Posts: 3
    I checked the price at the chevy dealer they it was 214.00.no one can tell me for sure what is wrong with my trans.I have a shop to check with will let you know what they say.thanks
  • ihategmanymoreihategmanymore Member Posts: 6
    i to am having the same problems that several other people are also, and my a 2009 went threw the same b.s with bbb they are a joke just like gm they look out for gm if more people spoke up then there would be a re call and a massive buy back i honestly hate my truck from the hard shift to stalling to no acceralration to no braking to radio wanting to work when it wants to, also how the back up sensors go off in park or dont go off in reverse either.
  • ihategmanymoreihategmanymore Member Posts: 6
    hey my turd does the same thing to can you say RECALL! :mad:
  • bumperdudebumperdude Member Posts: 19
    I cant say that i blame you for being pissed. But keep pushing the dealer and get a mesage to the GM rep. Its a pain, I know. The real screwing is gonna be when you go out and buy a Ford. Look at the big picture; Ford resale value sucks. They are changing up their parts almost every year( i am in the parts business)sheet metal, bumpers, interior, even mechanical. If wrecked it takes forever to get parts. The salvage yards are full of late model F150's because they total so fast. Their replacement parts are just too damn high. Tundra and all of Toyota are having problems of their own. Dont give up yet.
  • dmshaverdmshaver Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone who has expierienced the major shift problems on the GM 6 speed transmission had a response back from the GM CSR Mariah ? I bought a 2007 Sierra Denali with 6 speed 3 years ago and have battled the dealership on a solution to horrible shifting issues. Upshift, then down shift when stopping, harsh shifting and banging into gears. The truck has worn me out. They are quick to the TCM reflash as a solution, which doesn't work. It's a mechanical problem! On to my 2nd dealership, which already saying that they see nothing wrong.
  • gonehunting57gonehunting57 Member Posts: 1
    Future issues had transmission serviced and found metal in pan. Truck has a 120,000 miles have never had a problem. Always been serviced when needed.
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    Hello all, this is my first post in some time so please excuse my long post. My question is what could be causing a hard down shift when coming to a stop from driving such as a traffic light or stop sign? This occurs when engine is hot or cold and has become more frequent of late since truck has almost 70K miles on it.

Any suggestions or ideas to cause and fix?

Thanks.
    Hello Kelsan1,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into your concern? You can find my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    My truck does this on occasion when engine is hot or cold. The downshift is a loud thunk noise when coming to a halt and the engine revs drop to about 500/600 rpm range.

I have checked the trans fluid hot and it is withing specs so I am concerned about the tranny since I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

Any help would be appreciated and I am taking the truck into the dealer this week for review of the problem.
    Hello Kelsan1,
    Thank you for getting back with me. How long has the condition been present in the vehicle? Can you please email me so I can get some more information from you? If you click on my name you will see my email. Thank you,
  • tanngrewtanngrew Member Posts: 1
    having mayjor transmission problems with my 09 toook it to 3 dealerships n got bs excuses they wont even look at it. if i dont get a solution next visit the truck will be parked outside the dealerships with decals saying mayjor problems feel free to test drive. ill deal with driving my old reliable ford for work.
    Took my truck into the selling dealer yesterday and they did a flush on the trans and did a remove/replace prop shaft and clean/lube splines. They did tell me that the prop shaft fix was temporary and could work up to 30K miles before it was needed again. Since then it seems to have cured the hard downshifting I was going through but time will tell.
    I had thought I would trade my truck in on a new vehicle but since I have been reading about all the tranny troubles with the 6 speed automatics I will wait and drive it till the wheels come off.
    Look through previous posts to mine and yours and see ones wtih Mariah of GM Customer Service and see if you can get some relief with her on the case. Good luck on you needed repairs.
  • bhodgdenbhodgden Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 with 5.3L. I had a problem arise a year ago. Whenever I would drive on a long trip and then come into a town, when I would take back off from a stop sign or light, the transmission would shift hard into second and third gears. I had the transmission flushed and filters changed. They found one of the solenoids broken ($5 replacement) in the transmission. Well this past weekend I was pulling my boat back from the lake when it started to do the exact same thing. Is the transmission fried? I need to find something out soon. I don't want to pull my camper or boat anymore if the transmission is going out.
    Hello Tanngrew,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into your concerns further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • acorteseacortese Member Posts: 1
    I am getting a check engine light, on my digital screen I am getting a Hot Transmission, and my truck is shifting harder than usual. People have been telling me that it is my TCC solenoid, and one guy said that wasn't it? What is wrong
  • myalemyale Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    I have a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 with 48,000 miles on it. The transmission has some sort of glitched as I approach or depart a light or stop sign. Instead of a smooth shift either up or down I feel a sudden locking of the transmission or something of the sort resulting in a "sudden jerk". This has nothing to do with the locking differential which works well in slippery road conditions
    When I purchased the truck apparently it came with a yoke that was not sufficiently greased as many times this manifested itself as though I had been rear-ended lightly when stopped at a light. The GM dealer greased the yoke and this helped. But now I have this problem. Could it be that the yoke has to be greased again ? Does the yoke have to be greased several times over the life of the vehicle ?
    I have checked the fluid level and it id right within specs and the color is still bright red. I've never used the truck to tow anything. Any Ideas ?
  • epphonehome1epphonehome1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 sierra 2500 hd two wheel drive when coming to a stop the trans down shift hard and cause the truck to lunge forward . also was traveling at apx 45 miles an hour went to pass a car stepped on accelrator hard and the trans slipped causing the engine to rev but no increase in speed wondering if this is commom in the 6 speed transmission on these gmc thanks for any input
    Hello Epphonehome1,
    I apologize that you are having issues with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • filthyanimalfilthyanimal Member Posts: 2
    First thing that would come to my mind, if its intermittent would be pressure control solenoid. High line pressure would cause it to be loud and hard maybe thunk.
  • filthyanimalfilthyanimal Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    Hi, I am going to say what a pain.
    I have a 01 1500 4.3 po300 flashing engine light. let me say I have a scanner and consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable. but I am looking for ideas.
    I have po 300 right bank 2 4 6 misfires engine obviously lacks power. barely runs . I have -35 degrees cam retard. Wont run long or fast enough to do crk learn. I think it is symptom of misfire not cause. I have pulled exhasut off pass side to eliminate the cat. doesnt change it without cat c onected. I got it to run long enough to set o2 code but it was for the heater circuit. I have read that the injectors should have 11-14 ohms resistance if checked at the pins in the upper plenum Anyone heard that. Mine do not have between 5 - 8 ohms. on the 6.. Is it likely all 6 injectors went bad at once. the fuel trim is being cut off on the even bank -25% while odd side is dumping +25%. I want to believe its come down to pcm ,spider,02's, possibly maf but it doesnt change and has comparable readings to my v8 burban. i am open to ideas distributor, but that would explain timing but not dumping of fuel
    fuel pressure is koeo 62psi, and 58 barely running. Thanks
  • cb_cb_ Member Posts: 1
    My '99 Silverado has suddenly lost reverse. All the drive gears work fine & the tranny fluid is OK so what would cause this? At over 225,000 miles is this the beginning of the end for my tranny?
  • ftosrodftosrod Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Silverado and right after my truck passed 70,000 miles, it began not engaging in reverse. This doesn't happen every time but probably 3-4 times a month. One thing that does happen every time is it shifts really hard when I put it in reverse. It also makes a loud noise, like it's hunkering down. This is very frusting because I bought this truck hoping that I would not have to worry about making expensive repairs! I am thinking I will have to buy a new transmission by the end of the year! Does anyone have any ides what is causing this? I really don't want to trade my truck in if this is a sign to other things that might be coming! Thanks everyone!
  • jimhenryjimhenry Member Posts: 2
  • jimhenryjimhenry Member Posts: 2
    Chatter when transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd. Coincidence or not but my battery went dead overnight and after new battery was installed this problem arose. I took it to chev garage and they said if the cables were shorted together that the computer would have to relearn my driving habits and it could take up to 300 miles. I have driven 100 miles now and it shifts okay cold but after warm up still chatters. Anyone heard of this before or is this BS advice? He also said it may do this because I have Amzoil in tranny and it is more responsive to friction or something like that. No code lights on and 93000 miles on my 2002 Silverado Z-71.
  • alanwaalanwa Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Just happened today. 2003 Silverado HD 6.0L 4sp overdrive transmission with 92,000 miles. Parked it a week ago and had absolutely no issue. Went to drive it 1 week later and the transmission kicks real hard going from 1st to 2nd; kicks very hard going from 2nd to 3rd, kicks hard going from 3rd to 4th. When I started it up, put it into reverse and usual it begins to move on its own; this time it sat until I fed it gas. Is this transmission or rear end? Any suggestions?
    Please see my post from a couple of weeks ago regarding the drive line/rear spline grease repack. The dealer told me that it could help from 6000 to 30000 miles but no set guarantee. It has stopped the hard downshift completely for now, it was about $100 to drop the driveline and grease it and replace the driveline back. Hope this helps you.
  • kaykay387kaykay387 Member Posts: 2
    Don't mean to discourage you, but in case you did not read all the Chevy transmission problems: We bought a 2500HD new in 2002 and the transmission has gone out twice. We do not drive many miles and we do not tow anything except a very small livestock trailer. The only time we use the trailer is to haul maybe one or 2 cows a couple of times a year to our pastures with a round trip of about 6-7 miles. We hire a truck for anything more. When the transmission went out again a couple of months, ago the specialist asked how is it we "trashed" 2 so fast? Then he researched and found this is a re-occurring issue on these transmissions. So much for being loyal GM owners for 45 years!
  • warmwxruleswarmwxrules Member Posts: 1
    So i have a 2006 GMC 4 wheel drive pickup with auto and today i go to take the kid to a ballgame and while cruising down the highway i went to accelerate and nothing...just like it was spinning in gear (i was in overdrive). Only gears that would work are 3rd, 2nd and 1st. No drive/overdrive... The truck only has 42,000 miles! I stop and i have to go 1, 2 and 3 to move... Warranty is up ...ahhh! Is she toast? Should i send her into the river and tell the insurance company i can't find it :):):) ? This is my "whiteknight"...its hard to bag a monster buck when i'm missing a few gears. If i have to, i'll get to my tree stand in reverse!

Thanks for any help... I'm going to go cry now.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I recently purchased a super clean 2002, 5.3, Z71 with 4 speed auto. Truck has Reese hitch with 7 pin connector, so some amount of towing was done. I do sometimes notice a bit of slippage between 1st and 2nd. I talked to some friends at a gas exploration company. These guys buy pickups at the rate of 30-40 every three years. They tell me that the tranny on the 02 is really problematic. My truck has 63K on the odo and dealer service records show a transmission service at 36K. Question: Is there anything I can do to improve dependability of this tranny? ie- flush, fluid and filter change. Anything else? Go to Chevy dealer or independent transmission shop? Any and all input would be appreciated. My last two trucks a 1996 and a 2005 were both Toyota, so I'm green as grass regarding the Chevy. Thanks, Stoney
  • screamineaglescreamineagle Member Posts: 2
  • screamineaglescreamineagle Member Posts: 2
    My 2500hd slips in and out of gear at low speeds. Thought it was the VSS so I replaced. Still doing the same thing. ABS light is on while brakes have checked out ok. Repair shop believes it is the Transfer Case causing the problem. I was told by someone that it could be another sensor. The transfer case is not grinding or low on fluid. The computer did not show an error for the slipping. Any ideas?
    Hello Warmwxrules,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • superdave13superdave13 Member Posts: 2
    The transmission in my 90 Sierra started dropping out of overdrive and down into 3rd or 4th gear. The tranny will drop into overdrive like normal but after a short distance, it will drop out and not return to overdrive. Driving like this causes the 'check engine' light to come on because the engine is revving higher to keep up with traffic. This problem cropped up when my alternator dropped out and I had to keep driving as I was about thirty miles from home. The tranny was working fine before the alternator acted up but during the time I was driving home with the bad alternator, the tranny started shifting funny. Any ideas for the repair and is this an expensive repair?
  • jlandsbergerjlandsberger Member Posts: 2
    I have 04 1500 silverado 4 x 4. the truck is in mint condition, sitting in the garage for the past yr, 110,000 miles. It will switch to unknown driver whenever it pleases..this causes all the guages to shut off...a/c turn to heat, power windows, radio, etc do not work.Hesitates when shifting out of first, rpms/s rev, have to take foot off the gas , eventually it will shift. Started last June, not wanting to shift into overdrive. Took to the dealership, they upgraded the computer, no errors were found. Took to transmission shop, couldn't find anything wrong w/transmission. If i move the drivers seat when unknown driver, it will "re-boot' to the correct driver.
    Just tired of the run around, and want to drive my truck!
    Please help, any ideas?
  • jwttitze80912jwttitze80912 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 05 gmc sierra 4wd recently with 57000 miles on it. When i drive through residential and listen carefully i can hear the trany making a lunking noise when it shifts. i checked fluid level and it is correct. im really worried because i just bought it and i dont need it going out. the only thing i can think of is maby doing a fluid and filter change. Also has anybody seen green transfer case fluid. Is that dealer only? thanx
    Hello Jwttitze80912,
    Have you contacted the people you bought the vehicle from that there is a concern with the vehicle? Has anyone looked at the vehicle for the concern? Thank you,
  • jwttitze80912jwttitze80912 Member Posts: 4
    No i havent contacted them about it. I dont even know if they will even do anything about it. I work in the deisel mechanic feild and i do work on trucks but not these transmissions. A rebuilder said to grease the slip stub on the D/L. Another person said they have a tahoe and his has been doing it for six months. Do you think the dealer will jack me around and waste my time telling me its normal. What is the warranty on the powertrain from factory? Is it still 10yr, 100.000 miles?
    Hello Jwttitze80912,
    I would contact the dealership about the problem and let them know what is going on. I would have a service tech ride in the vehicle with you so they can experience what you are talking about. I doubled checked for you and your 2005 vehicle doesn't have a powertrain warranty. Please keep me informed on how it goes. Thank you,