Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    I personally got sick of shifting my own gears a long time ago. I don't care if it's not manly to have the car do that for me. True, you lose some of the direct control. But most of the time it's just much more convenient. As far as performance loss, if there is any, I'm sure I would more than make up for it by taking a driving class to teach me how to really drive.
  • getzgetz Member Posts: 24
    "The day I personally get an automatic transmissioned "sports" car or "sport" sedan and brag about its performance is the day I brag to my golfing buddies about breaking 80 - from the senior tees. I'd rather take my score from the tips (or at least the men's tees) and be happy with it, than have only played half of the course. "

http://www.mschumacher.com/
    Click the above link to read about another slush box driving sissy. I'm still inclined to think that he can brag about his various "sports cars".
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I figured I'd get a response from the clutch challenged posters here. ;)

tayl0rd: The SLK55 is automatic only. An SLK350 can be ordered with a 6-speed manual. As can the C class. Beyond that, forget it.

circlew: you conveniently forgot the fine print in the 911 Turbo comparison. Shaving 0.3 seconds off the 0-60 time in the Tiptronic requires the use of "launch assist". You put the car in gear, hold the brake pedal, floor the gas (the computer holds the rpms at redline) wait for the turbo's to spool up, and then release the brake. By the time you do all of that, I'm crossing the 1/4 mile marker in my 911S, let alone the Turbo 6-speed manual. "Launch assist" is a complete joke among Porsche enthusiasts. Who buys a 911 Turbo to act like a jackass at a stoplight? And you still have to get your opponent to wait while you go through that multi-step launch assist process in order to exhibit supreme jackassedness. Frankly, they can keep that 0.3 second 0-60 advantage that takes 10-20 seconds to achieve. Wait until Porsche comes out with a DSG before you even think of forecasting any slight threat to the 6-speed manual in Stuttgart. And, need I remind you, that a 415hp/300 ft.lb RWD 6-speed manual GT3 significantly beats a 480hp/505 ft.lb AWD 911 Turbo Tiptronic around Nurburgring. A metric that's a little more in line with what most people who buy Porsches consider important.

As for the BMW's SMG debacle in the M5 and M6, you also conveniently forgot to mention that the outcry was so loud over the poor performance that BMW reintroduced the 6-speed manual transmission in the M5. Some would say, too little, too late. Resale values on the previous generation (manual only) M5 have increased in the last year.

AMG is it's own animal. Who else puts 738 ft lbs of torque into a 2 seater (SL65) that weighs as much as our former Isuzu Trooper. Between you me and the walls, they seem to be catering to the ultimate, very rich, jackass imitators. But they do it so well, who am I to question them?

getz: A little definition help is in order. "Slush" = torque converter automatic. Mr. Schumacher does not, nor has he ever, driven a slushbox. The Ferrari F1 is a "sequential manual gearbox (SMG)" that does not have a torque converter. It replaces a foot activated clutch pedal with an electronically activated clutch linked to a thumb paddle. The advantage to Formula One drivers is that they can keep both hands on the wheel in 3+ g turns. Not exactly something a 335i or even 911 Turbo is capable of. If you think that BMW's automatic steptronic has anything in common with a Ferrari F1 SMG gearbox, you'd likely mistake me for Tiger Woods off the tee.

dan12: "As far as performance loss, if there is any, I'm sure I would more than make up for it by taking a driving class to teach me how to really drive." Probably true, but if you go to Porsche's or Skip Barber's driving schools, they only use manual transmissioned cars. Ouch.

Now have at me, but keep repeating, it's all in good spirit. ;)
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Habitat, you know I always agree with you in the long run. There is way more control with an MT and much is compromised by letting a computer do it for you. But here is the reality.

Taking the driver out of the shifting business is good business for the manufacturers. Even the very best modern shiftable automatic — VW/Audi's brilliant dual-clutch Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) — will keep the driver from doing anything that might harm the drivetrain. Why even mark the red line on a tachometer if the computers won't allow it to be exceeded anyhow?

Precise computer controls make meeting emissions and fuel-economy goals more straightforward; they can protect against driver behavior that can result in warranty claims, plus the market long ago showed it preferred automatics. And in raw performance, there is less and less measurable advantage for manual transmissions. Throw in the rise of computer-dependent hybrids and other technologies and it's hard to see how manual transmissions can long survive.

Sigh. Electronics promise a lot that's good for the future of personal transportation. But we're losing something valuable, too.

I am sure this will not be a complete death but it's getting harder to find the pure guys like yourself.

For me, it will be a balance. I plan to get a MT fun car when I want to drive for pleasure but desire the AT to make the commute.

Regards,
    OW
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Not these Tiptronic, Steptronic, Autostick, etc., but a transmission that actually can be a conventional manual with a clutch pedal or an automatic. There would still have to be electronics involved for the automatic portion, but just have a layout where there is a "D" option below the reverse gear slot that you could select to go fully automatic. In this position, electronics would disengage the clutch pedal (would have to use a hydraulic clutch system) and the electronics would take over the shifting. When you're ready to do your own shifting, simply do it as you normally would. Seems plausible in my head. That way we truly do get the best of both worlds.
  • aongch2aongch2 Member Posts: 8
    habitat1: nice details on your responses, clarifying what is true SMG (clutch pedal-less manuals) vs manual automatics (with torque conv).

For me, two reasons will make me decide. The shifting itself through the gearshift does not lend me to decide. Because I do track a second car (STi) and have always driven manuals, reason #1 is that the heel-and-toe/rev-matching fun will be sorely missed w/o a clutch pedal. This is an art that always gives me grins! Reason #2, only if I will for sure be commuting through heavy traffic daily, then would a good manu-matic (steptronic) be my option, but that's the only reason. Now, SMG on the other hand, once more perfected in 'daily-driver' cars, I will surely consider (but will still miss that heel-and-toe maneuver).

My .02 cents, of course.
    I believe your rant was regarding to shift or not to shift, not the presence of a torque converter. Oddly enough you then proceed to bash the SMG in the M5. The M5 with SMG still greatly outsells, and outperforms the 6-speed at all levels. It seems that your biggest peeve is the lack of control, however by a flick of a paddle, I can seamelessly trasition into whatever gear I please. Whether it be in anticipation of an upcoming apex which leads into a sweeping turn, or the early stage of passing a tractor-trailer, I fail to see the downside.
    I dont find myself to be clutch challenged, especially as my last 7 vehicles had 3 pedals, however if there have been any technological advances worthy of mentioning, it the progression in shift patterns/smoothness/rapidity of gear changes present in modern day automatics. To quote you "The advantage to Formula One drivers is that they can keep both hands on the wheel in 3+ g turns. Not exactly something a 335i or even 911 Turbo is capable of." The advantage of an autmated gear box is exactly as you state, to keep both hands on the wheel. This benefits you at every level, from autocross, to back road spirited driving.
    If you enjoy stepping on a clutch, great, but realize that the performance gap that you percieve exist only in your mind.
    -Getz
    ... The M5 with SMG still greatly outsells, and outperforms the 6-speed at all levels. ...

I think that's simply because BMW has tried/is trying to make it all but impossible to get an M5 with a proper manual transmission. Remember that BMW wasn't even going to offer a manual on the current M5 here, but potential owners protested and forced them to. BMW, in a passive-aggressive move, retaliated by crippling the proper manual equipped M5 with a NON-defeatable traction/stability control system; so there goes the performance. They're doing all they can to justify their horrid SMG. :(
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I never thought a manual transmission M5 made marketing sense (to me). Big sedans with stickshifts are a chore for most people. It's the rare person who wants that.
    [GASP!] Blasphemy! And from a man calling himself Mr. SHIFTright. :cry:
    I don't like big sedans with stickshift. I find them annoying (sorry, that's just the way it is with me :blush: )

You want a sports car or sport coupe, go buy one. But rowing around a 4,000 lb. 4-door in traffic doesn't make sense to me.

It's a very narrow niche of preference, a large 4-door manual transmission car. That combo has never been very successful.

I wouldn't buy a 528i with a stick either, but I would a 3 series coupe.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I agree, mostly...

But, the old E39 M5 was just marginally bigger than a 3-series coupe.. From the driver's seat, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference..

The current model is another matter... Plus, with a big old honking V-10, who needs gears?! :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That big ol' honking V10 isn't exactly a torque monster. :D
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    383 ft/lbs.. is plenty...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My friend has the older M5...it's fun but it still feels big to me. Not exactly an autocrosser!
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    It certainly is not. I feel the weight and steering (R&P vs. Recirculating Ball) feeling b/w my old 530 and the M5. 530 did ok in the Alpine passes and reasonably nimble for a 4-door sedan and while M5 handles better, it certainly can't hide the weight. It is best suited as an Autobahn cruiser, IMO.

I do enjoy driving the twisty bits with it, but if I did not have to follow the mandate from SWMBO (and compromise) to get a car that can accommodate 2 baby seats, I'd be in some vintage of 911. If I did have a 911, then I may have been just as happy with an E55, automatic and all. :P
  • bwm335idriverbwm335idriver Member Posts: 1
    i have the 335i and so far a raced with the evo and the sti and audi new model rs4 and I beat it all, the evo was almost 3 seconds behind me, the sti didnt have any horse power at all.........the audi was the stongest which weas head to head with me........my 335 gets 4.8 seconds from 0 to 60 and a lot of power after the 100mph.......can the evo nor the sti do that.........dream on, the 335 compine luxary and power..........while the evo and the sti just un engine.......i think they need another 20 years to make a car like the 335I
  • spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    "The M5 with SMG still greatly outsells, and outperforms the 6-speed at all levels."

What propaganda have you been brainwashed by? The SMG in the E60 M5 is terrible. So bad, in fact, that it was U.S. enthusiasts that embarassed BMW into hastily developing a 6-speed manual version. I own a 2003 E39 M5 with nearly 50,000 miles and BMW could not get me to take a brand new E60 M5 SMG on an even trade. The high revving V10 engine is fantastic, the SMG transmission a complete embarassment to anyone that knows how to drive.

"I can seamelessly trasition into whatever gear I please. Whether it be in anticipation of an upcoming apex which leads into a sweeping turn, or the early stage of passing a tractor-trailer, I fail to see the downside.... If you enjoy stepping on a clutch, great, but realize that the performance gap that you percieve exist only in your mind."

If you "perceive" that you can do all that and that BMW's steptronic torque-converter automatic is as good as their 6-speed short throw manual, you have a far, far more creative imagination than habitat. Or a much lower standard of performance. Either way, that's just plain B.S.

Don't take my word for it. Take your automatic 335i to the BMW performance driving school and see how far behind a 6-speed you will be around a lap. If you can bribe them to let you on the track.
  • spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    "I don't like big sedans with stickshift. I find them annoying (sorry, that's just the way it is with me"

I'm not sure at what point you think "rowing" becomes annoying, but the E39 M5 vs. 3 series size distinction is a dubious one, at best. My 2003 E39 V8 M5 weighs less than 10% more than my nephew's 335i and 5% more than a 335ix. All of which weigh substantially less than a 2-seat SL55. the interior dimensional differences between an E39 M5 and current 3 series is nominal, at best. The number of so-called "sport" or "GT" vehicles that weigh as much or more than my M5 is appalling. And the 3-series has put on about 1,000 lbs since the first M3 debuted. Frankly, the fact that my M5 has a 6-speed manual makes it feel MORE nimble around town, and is certainly not a chore to drive.

A business associate of mine picked up an E55 a month after I got my M5, for an intial price of about $5,000 more. After 4+ years and nearly 50,000 miles, my M5 is would resell for at least $7-10,000 more than his E55 with 32k miles. There are a lot more people out there that are "enthusiastic" about a manual transmission only E39 M5 than an automatic only E55.

Being that my company holds dozens of patents and has helped pioneer state of the art microjet technology, I am hardly adverse to positive, performance enhancing engeering advances. I embrace them. But let's be clear, BMW's SMG doesn't make the grade. And their automatics don't come close. Convenience, maybe. Performance, absolutely not. Ferrari has the best SMG on the market, Porsche is working on what will likely be the best DSG. If BMW can get it's act together, perhaps they will produce something that will get me to give up the third pedal. But they certainly don't have anything today that fits that bill.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"Take your automatic 335i to the BMW performance driving school and see how far behind a 6-speed you will be around a lap. If you can bribe them to let you on the track."

All they use is automatics, at least for the two day performance school. They said that they ended up replacing too many clutches, so they have been 100% auto for quite a while.

So - no bribes needed.
    I wonder how this tranny will perform?

The IS-F is based on the rear-wheel-drive Lexus IS, which is equipped with a double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension. The IS-F engine is mated to the world’s first eight-speed "direct sport-shift" transmission. A new torque-converter lock-up control was developed that allows for a direct, crisp gear change through the constant lock-up of the torque converter in second through eighth gears.

In Drive mode, the IS-F transmission performs smoothly, and the torque converter allows for quick 0-60 acceleration in less than 4.9 seconds. The transmission also features a manual mode operated via a pair of paddles. Downshifts are accompanied by automated throttle blips to match engine RPM to vehicle speed. Heavy-duty Brembo brakes with 14.2-inch discs and six-piston calipers ensure all the power is kept under control. The IS-F features custom-designed 19-inch forged alloy wheels — with 225/40R19 sized rubber up front and 255/35R19 at the rear — as standard.

Lexus claims the IS-F can hit a top speed of over 185 mph but the Japanese-spec IS-F will be electronically limited to about 110 mph. Lexus failed to address why the IS-F is limited to such a low speed as the car will undoubtedly be able to hit that speed in the 1/4 mile.

Seems to me the future "sports" cars will receive AT's that are progressivley more competent. Chevy is working on a 2-clutcher for the 2012 'Vette.

Regards,
    OW
    Exhibit A: Regarding the 335i Coupe with AT
    http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests/13548/tested-2007-bmw-335i-coupe-auto- matic.html

"Maybe BMW got bored of hearing the same thing over and over again, because suddenly we had to come up with new words to describe the 3: controversially styled, technologically overwrought, and now this: quicker with the automatic.

Fantastic as an Automatic
    Yes, the 335i’s ZF-sourced six-speed automatic is among the world’s very best transmissions, and we can’t heap enough praise on it. Responsive and quick to act, it is the perfect autobox for this kind of car. In normal automatic mode, shifts are virtually invisible, but the character changes dramatically when prompted. Deputy editor Dave VanderWerp says, “Full-throttle downshifts are quite severe, but to me, that’s fine when I’m pushing the pedal all the way to the floor. The automatic generally does a single multigear kickdown instead of stopping off at other ratios along the way.” We also noted snappy rev-matching throttle blips when downshifting using the manumatic function (or paddles), and in the sport-shift mode, it eagerly takes the liberty of automatically downshifting during braking to set you higher in the meat of the power band whenever your right foot returns to the other pedal."

Exhibit B: Regarding the 6speed M5
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12144/2007-audi-s6-vs-2007-bmw-m5-vs-200- 7-mercedes-benz-e63-amg.html

"Would you be surprised to hear that this doesn’t have a positive effect on acceleration? Or lap times on the Streets of Willow? Or making a hot exit from a slow corner? Of course you wouldn’t. Because that’s precisely what happens. This M5 was a half-second slower to 60 mph than the SMG version we tested in January 2006 — 4.7 versus 4.2 — and a half-second slower through the quarter-mile: 13.0 seconds at 114 mph versus 12.5 at 118. DSC also inhibited lane-change performance (60.8 mph versus 65.6) and skidpad results (0.83 lateral g versus 0.89)."

Both articles seem to refute the claim that MTs significantly outperform ATs, and with the rapidity of technological evolution, how far out can the virtual extinction of the third pedal be. I have yet to try the audi dsg, however, I have a feeling that it may speed the inevitable demise of MTs in performance vehicles.

-Getz
  • andrew20andrew20 Member Posts: 4
    It's interesting to see that one's ability to drive a car w/ manual transmission becomes a "status symbol" here in the US. Where I was born (and learned to drive) most cars had manual transmission, no exception. Honda was the first one to try marketing AT there in the 1975. Didn't sell very well for some reason. A friend of mine's mom bought one, and ended up hitting the car in front of her because she revved up the engine like a manual while waiting at a traffic light :)

Things have changed in the past 5 years, many offers auto as an option - a complete reverse of what we have here.

I drove my first automatic when I moved to the US some years ago. While I like manual better for certain reasons, I enjoy AT for convenience. An SMG would be ideal, but Steptronic will do...
  • richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    dan 12 you said you bought the sport susp.3 over the "plain" driving non-sprt 3. I am in the same boat. I had a sprt 3 330 and I thought it drove a little rough and was a little noisy. How does the 335 sprt. and non sprt. compare? Do you like luxury or do you in general like "go karts"? I would like this for an everyday cruiser. Does the non sprt feel sporty at all? Does it wallow in the turns or does it handle good. Does it live up to the "sport sedan" legend at all? Thanks
    I think the non SP 335 is still a really nice car. If you don't need the extra handling edge of the SP, then the non-SP will be smoother. The thing that I would really miss without the SP are the front seats. I do think they are a lot more comfortable. You can try them out at a dealership without even test driving the car; you will see what I mean.

I actually like luxury and really good handling, it just depends on the car. In the case of the 3, I decided to go for the go-kart feel. It's super smooth on good roads, but does get bumpy when the roads are in bad shape. Since you had the 330 SP, you will know exactly what I mean.

Good luck.

Dan
    Yeah, Dan, I know what you mean. The sport seats are in the 3 and the best seats I have ever sat in. The power lumbar is incredible. It is so disappointing that you cant get the spt. seats in the 3 without the spt suspension. In the 5 you can get the spt. seats alone without the spt suspension. I wish they would do that on the 3, their best selling car.
    Well, in the 5 they're actually called Comfort Seats and were an option with the Premium Package, IIRC, but you could also get order them with the SP. I don't think the 5 had any actual "sport" seats. For '07/'08, the Comfort Seats became an included part of the SP.
    The previous generation 5-series most definitely had a sport seat option. And those sport seats were far more to my liking than the "comfort" seats. More side bolstering that kept you planted in turns. Not sure about the newest 5-series, as I haven't been in the market for a new sedan lately.
    For comfort I would definitely go with the 5 series over the 3. It's roomy and smooth and if you went with the 535 you would have a good amount of power too. The Comfort Seats are great. That may be my next car... in 6 years or so.
    I am assuming that the comfort seats are the same as the sport seats in the 5 series although they dont "sound" sporty. It may be a marketing ploy to get more people to buy them. More people usually want comfort at this price level. Personally, I like both but I dont want my teeth rattled and I dont want to hear the road humming and I dont want to hear wind noise. All three of these to me cheapens the car. I agree that side-bolstering is paramount if you are corning with any enthusiasm at all.
    I am assuming that the comfort seats are the same as the sport seats in the 5 series although they dont "sound" sporty.

Again, only from my experience with the previous generation 5-series, "comfort" and "sport" were two very different seats. The comfort had multiple adjustments and was more "soft" for lack of a better term. The sport seats were more Recaro like in design and side bolstering, both in the seat and shoulders. Overweight people would love the comfort seats, but would have a tough time fitting into the sport seats.
    FWIW, I sat in the sport seats and comfort seats in the new X5 and they are different. The sport seats are very supportive but more stiff than the comfort seats. If you are looking for comfort, the comfort seats are the ones to go with. I assume the 5 series seats are similar if not identical to the X5.
    Hmmmmm, so I take it that the comfort seats are the only ones available for the 2008 5 since they are the only ones mentioned in the forums. I have heard that the comfort seats are the sport seats in the new 5's with the inflatable bolstering and multiple adjustments. Did they discontinue the spt seats? Are they really trying to soften up the 5?
    I think most owners/potential owners found the Comfort seats were actually better than the Sport seats when it came to support and generally holding the driver in position due to their gajillion-way positioning. The traditional Sport seats were, in a sense, dropped in favor of the Comfort seats. Now, I think the standard seat is the "old" Sport seat.

And when you think about it, it makes sense. The whole point of a sport seat is to cradle the driver behind the wheel. The Comfort seat has way more adjustability for cradling which means it would actually make a better sport seat than the Sport seat. Or you could just look at it as a highly adjustable sport seat.
    The Comfort seat has way more adjustability for cradling which means it would actually make a better sport seat than the Sport seat.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Again, based upon the previous 5 series, the comfort seat was of significantly "softer" construction and did not have the degree of side, shoulder and thigh bolstering of the sport seat. For some preferring a softer feel, the comfort seat might be better, but for those wanting a true Recarro style sport seat, the comfort seat was not nearly as form fitting. The only thing missing from the sport seat was a 5 point harness.

And, FWIW, "20 way adjustable" isn't the metric for sport. My former Honda S2000 had exceptionally good, comfortably, form fitting sport seats. And no power adjustments, whatsoever. Manual forward and back and manual seatback angle. That was it. If you happened to have a 36"+ waist or extra 30 lbs in your rear, forget it. But if you were 6'2" or under and of reasonable athletic build, they were every bit as good as the power, multi-adjustable sport seats in my 911.

I don't think most people buying a 5 series, with the exception of the 550i 6-speed or M5, would be too distraught over the loss of the sport seat option, if in fact that's the current situation. But they were my personal favorites in any sedan.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"I don't think most people buying a 5 series, with the exception of the 550i 6-speed or M5, would be too distraught over the loss of the sport seat option"

I am. :(

I'm getting the 535i SP, and if I could switch for the sport seats in the 335i I would. The ones in the 5 are nice (the side bolsters are good), but I like the ones in the 3 better since they have adjustable thigh side bolsters.

Having both would be perfect.
    I would change car choice for the sports seats in the 3'er. Unbelievably un-paralleled,IMHO.

Regards,
    OW
    Point taken. The 535i SP is plenty sporting, and probably a more prudent buy than the 550i at this point.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Depends on how you look at it, a friend has a 550i and I have to say, its a wonderful car. Power is RIGHT there when you need it. If you load a 535i to the level of a 550i the price difference isn't really that much difference. But also the people who buy a 550i the difference doesn't make much difference to them.
  • cardiohexcardiohex Member Posts: 9
    I completely agree with "just say no" to automatic transmissions on sports cars. Kind of like "death before decaf" with regards to coffee....

I am new to this forum and have been reading the old entries for the last hour, mostly to see what the low-down on the 335i is...

I leased my first BMW in 1/07... a black/black 335i sedan with manual/SP/PP/satelite radio/cold weather... I absolutely love the car. A bit snug with 2 car seats in the back, but that is a rare occurance... mom's car is usually used for family outings.

The performance is impressive... so far the only car I have bowed down to from street start is the senior partner's '07 m5 with the M button pushed (500hp).. and he looked suprised when I was just a few feet behind him at 50mph... (losers so far: numerous Mustangs, 911 cabrio (that was fun... VERY shocked look on his face at the next light), Audi RS4 (a tie), 540i manual).

Finally a tech question... anybody else have to add oil prior to one year change interval? I figured I would have to, but it felt very soon (after 5k miles).

Keep up the good forum, guys!

P.S. Anybody know when the Dinan chip for the 335i is being released? I heard the N54 engine (in the 335i) was seen in a Z4 in Europe, putting out >400hp... is this true?
  • cezar1cezar1 Member Posts: 2
    I think I would like to know any comments about this model that is why I diddn't categorize it more. What is your buying experience,price paid, any problems?
    Anybody with small kids?
    I know this is not a family car but for a father that has to pick up kids from school twice a week I would like to know.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I would say if you're dealing with car seats, a 4-door would be MUCH easier. If the kids are big enough to crawl in and buckle themselves up, the coupe will be be fine. When I got my 330Ci, my kids were 7 and 10 years old. They had no problem. Now, at 13 and 16 years old, and very much bigger, it's still the vehicle they prefer to travel in whenever possible.
  • cezar1cezar1 Member Posts: 2
    I think my younger one is going to be out of a car seat next year and I am getting ready to get back what I like instead what I need. No car seats in my next car. I have two boys and they are very handy with seat belts. I do not plan to have more than four of us in the car in seldom occasions so lack of five seat is not really an issue.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    anybody else have to add oil prior to one year change interval? I figured I would have to, but it felt very soon (after 5k miles).

A quart in 5K miles is completely normal. I've had Bimmers that used less than 1/2 quart in 8K miles, and I've had another that has used a quart every 2K-2.5K since new. I would consider changing the oil ever 7.5K, as I'm hearing that the twin turbo engine is pretty hard on oil.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nc72689nc72689 Member Posts: 10
    Some people say its not good to go over 100 mph with a car thats less that 1000 miles. I went 135 mph with my 500 miles 335i, and is wondering if thats bad for the car? Or it doesnt really matter for a BMW? If its bad for the car...how? Can you guys help me out with my question?
    If you did this on public roads, you are flirting with disaster. Don't worry about the car. I worry about your safety and others.

If you did it on a track, as long as you did not over rev in any gear, the engine is fine. The tires are also freshly broken in after 500 miles so you are ok.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Regards,
    OW
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Some people say its not good to go over 100 mph with a car thats less that 1000 miles."

While it is true that "some people" say not to do that to your new car, the fact that the BMW engineers that designed and built your car say it too (check your manual of you don't believe me) means that YES it is indeed not good to exceed 100 mph on a car with only 500 miles on it. FWIW, the normal BMW break-in mileage is 1,200 miles, after which you can gradually increase your top speed.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    did you buy or lease your 335i?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    FWIW, the normal BMW break-in mileage is 1,200 miles, after which you can gradually increase your top speed.

Some of my friends take long European vacations so that their new ED BMW will be broken-in. After that, they hit the autobahnen in anger- as the Brits say ;)
    With the turbo engines I'd want to follow Munich's break-in regimen to the letter, especially in light of the oil dilution issues some cars are experiencing.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

This discussion has been closed.