Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• my GF saw this car dealership in New York. .its Auto Gallery Imports.. the pre owned BMw 3 series was well condition car, me and my girl was given the chance to test drive. .Goood car.. .probably ill get it soon
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,530
    In answer to my own question,
    apparently so:

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2010/01/10/exclusive-2011-bmw-135i-gets-a-new-motor-33- - 5i-to-follow/

Exclusive: 2011 BMW 135i & 335i Get New Engines
    MotoringFile Sections: E81/82/E87 1 Series, E90 3 Series, EfficientDynamics Jan 10th, 2010 16 Comments

BMW N55 inline-six dual scroll turbo

For 2011 the 135i will undergo a motor transplant. It will be powered by the new N55 inline-six. This new 3L motor features a single twin scroll turbo unlike the previous (N54) motor which featured two turbos. The dual scroll is said to provide the same effect as two turbos. The official numbers say just that, at 300hp and 300 lb-ft. all the while giving better throttle response in-part to the inclusion of BMW’s famous Valvetronic system on this new 6 cylinder.

The 135i for 2011 will be offered in 6 speed manual or with a 7 speed Dual Clutch transmission (a true auto will not be offered) as we also reported.

The 3 series will also receive this same engine switch with an 8 speed transmission later this spring. The recently revealed high performance “iS” version of the 3er will feature a tuned version of the current twin turbo motor (N54) and a 7 speed DCT.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,530
    "BMW claims the 2011 BMW 335iS will reach 60 mph from a standstill in 5.1 seconds when the six-speed manual is in place, while the car shaves a further 0.1 second from the time to 5.0 seconds when the dual-clutch transmission is used."

"a unique overboost feature that allows the engine to achieve a 10-second burst of up to 369 pound-feet of torque." - Edmunds IL
  • My 2007 BMW 335xi burned to the ground in the parking lot and burned another brand new car Nov 09. Luckily my 16yr old daughter and wife was not in the car. BMW sent investigators..still no reply after three months. Car only had 40K miles and just left the dealership after reserve power light /engine light came on. State Farm is telling me that BMW is not cooperating. Total mystery why BMW is not actively trying to solve. More info on Twitter under BMW_fire. I have found other 335i's and even an M3 same problem of just combusing into flames parked.

Anyone else having a fire problems or a story?? Multiple new agencies want more info.

FLAMES...15 foot high with smoke a half a mile high..fire department, police department where on the scene in 5 minutes....damage is unbelievable. Luckily now one was severely injured. Video was on youtube but was pressured to remove...BMW is big and powerful.

Follow the breaking story on Twitter: BMW_Fire
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Video was on youtube but was pressured to remove...BMW is big and powerful

Isn't youtube owned by Google? I have a hard time thinking they would back down from BMW, unless there was the possibility of slander involed. Google could probably buy BMW outright if it wanted to.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,573
    Te aftermath of my BMW's fire:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• pdude1pdude1 Posts: 47
    Is that twitter account correct? Or were you forced to take that down too?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,040
    Wow, godzilla attacked your car, RB? :P

But seriously, I would think that car companies would respond rapidly to reports of car fires and that insurance companies would pay right off, presuming there wasn't arson involved of course.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

But seriously, I would think that car companies would respond rapidly to reports of car fires and that insurance companies would pay right off, presuming there wasn't arson involved of course.

A friend of mine had his year-old Caddy ignite in his driveway one night. The insurance company tried to pass the buck to Cadillac and vice-versa. My friend was a fairly well known litigator and his threats to sue both parties finally got results.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I'm very surprised to here that. I would think the insurance company would pay off since making a warranty claim on a pile of burned rubble is rather impossible.

I'm very surprised to here that. I would think the insurance company would pay off since making a warranty claim on a pile of burned rubble is rather impossible.

I was surprised as well. I guess some adjusters get bonuses for minimizing or eliminating paid-out claims...

And so the point of paying for fire insurance is ?????

If you have comprehensive, and the car catches fire, and you didn't set it on fire yourself, the insurance company owes you a car, near as I can tell.

• jtlajtla Posts: 375
    Regardless warranty or not, since the vehicle had been completely lost, the insurance company should pay its customer first, and then go after the manufacturer if it believed that it had a case. Which insurance company did your friend have?
    that's right----subrogation is the term?

• millwood0millwood0 Posts: 451
    that was a picture from an incident in nyc where the steam pipe bursted the very moment that truck was crossing the street. I think it took place after 911.
  • millwood0millwood0 Posts: 451
    "Then I said, I want to sell back the car because it is defective. He said, "we can't take it back." I was like, "what?! you can't take it back because you know it is defective, right?!" He remined silent. "

I am not sure you are entitled to put the car back to the dealer just because the car broke down. so it does sound like you are not reasonable.

I have had my fair share of issues with BMWs but all the BMW dealers I have encountered have been quite good, in an expensive way.
    Post inadvertently deleted and now restored:

#1305 of 1316
    My 2007 BMW 335xi Burst Into Flames Fire Story by docuwize
    Jan 23, 2010 (9:47 am)
    Save | Reply | Move | Delete

My 2007 BMW 335xi burned to the ground in the parking lot and burned another brand new car Nov 09. Luckily my 16yr old daughter and wife was not in the car. BMW sent investigators..still no reply after three months. Car only had 40K miles and just left the dealership after reserve power light /engine light came on. State Farm is telling me that BMW is not cooperating. Total mystery why BMW is not actively trying to solve. More info on Twitter under BMW_fire. I have found other 335i's and even an M3 same problem of just combusing into flames parked.

Anyone else having a fire problems or a story?? Multiple new agencies want more info.

FLAMES...15 foot high with smoke a half a mile high..fire department, police department where on the scene in 5 minutes....damage is unbelievable. Luckily now one was severely injured. Video was on youtube but was pressured to remove...BMW is big and powerful.

Follow the breaking story on Twitter: BMW_Fire

• Hi.. I made a mistake on my posting. My 335xi only had 20k miles before it caught on fire in the parking lot. The twitter account is correct. BMW_Fire.

It is very puzzling to me why BMW has not responded. This forum is about maintenance issues. I am just wondering if anyone else had the same issue? Of course BMW folks from BMW reported this factual post. I am just looking for clues into what happened?
  • I agree. I have multiple cars including a M3 but finding it puzzling that BMW isn't providing details. My post was incorrect my car only had 20K miles not 40K. Anyway I am wondering if anyone is had a major issue like the BMW just catching on fire and burning to the ground without warning?
  • That is a good point. The pressure in this case came from BMW. I am just looking to see if anyone has information to solve. I was wrong on my post. The BMW 335xi only had 20K miles not 40K. This is not a spam this is a post looking for info.

Thanks..
  • Hi.. wanted to correct my post. The BMW 335xi that burst into flames with only 22K miles and under factory warranty. I was just looking for comments and info on if anyone is having the same issues. Was a nice car before it went up in flames. Good thing no one was inside.
  • idoc2idoc2 Posts: 78
    I'm wondering if anyone knows why BMW has redesigned their 3 liter turbo after only a few years with the new engine having a single instead of two turbo chargers?
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,642
    Well according to BMW the 3.0-litre power unit, is yet a further result of the BMW EfficientDynamics development strategy, offering a range of highlights in technology never seen before on any other engine – highlights created in the context of BMW EfficientDynamics and now ideally matched for optimum driving dynamics and economy all in one.

But the twin turbo engine has had issues, so is it because of it being more efficient or because of the problems with the twin turbo....
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    I read in one of the other threads that the new 3.0L will have single turbo, but with two spools (turbine units).
    Sometimes twin turbos can put out a LOT of heat, so maybe.....?

The twin turbo N54 will still be available in the 335 and Z4 is models.

My personal opinion is that twin turbos are best suited to fairly large displacement V- type engines.

• No doubt. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Not according to the NYTIMES. The twin turbo will be replaced with the single turbo.
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/18/bmw-3-series-latest-to-get-new-turbo-- engine/?scp=5&sq=bmw&st=cse
    To be more specific the NYTimes.com article is referring to the 335 coupe and convertible with no mention of the sedan or Z4.
This discussion has been closed.