Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    I don't know if they will, but it doesn't hurt to ask since there is a possibility that the turbo was already damaged before they discovered the problem.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

I thought I would pass on the final resolution of the problem. Turned out it was the connector from an oil line to the engine. The service manager stated that there was no indication of oil starvation; the oil level was not significantly down. He said that we would have gotten a message if either the engine or the turbo was experiencing oil starvation, so I am back to enjoying my little hot rod. If anything else comes up, I will pass it on.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• bmwhaterbmwhater Member Posts: 3
    I bought a BMW 335I in Ralley BMW last year in August. It was a display model. Only 6000 miles.
    Last Sunday, i parked my car in front of my friend's house in the center of the road. After i returned to the car and put the key in the inginition, the car was not able to start. Even though we jump start the car, it was still not working.

I contacted with BMW 24 hour road service, it took them 3 hours and 22 minutes without sending the tow truck. I cancelled the tow truck because it was 2: 22 Am and i couldn't wait any longer. I called them every 30 minutes, each time the representative said, "the truck driver is on the way." for 6 times.

In the end, i reschedule the appointment for 8:40 in the morning and they towed my car to BMW in Bayside, NY on Monday morning.

Today, Tuesday, 10/26/2009, the mechanic still can't figure out what's wrong with my car. He said, he is charging with the battery right now, see if it works.

Then I called RAlley BMW located in Long Isand, NY and explained to them my concerns, the guy on the phone was like, "oh, let them figure out the problem first. they are trained. They should know the problem."

Then I said, I want to sell back the car because it is defective. He said, "we can't take it back." I was like, "what?! you can't take it back because you know it is defective, right?!" He remined silent.

I recommend to everyone, don't trust these salespeople especially in that location.
    And, I am going to contact with BMW see what kind of answer I will receive from them.

See you later, wish me Good Luck
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sorry to hear about your problems.

Actually the only way BMW would buy the car back is if you go through the entire Lemon Law procedures; otherwise, they have a right to fix the car and make it right---which, given that there's a big BMW sign on their front door, they should be able to do (let us hope).
    1. My car is still under warranty....blessed by God.
    2. The way he sounded on the phone was like.......don't take it back to my shop...take it to somewhere else...

It is really dispointing...especially I was recommded to their shop for their great service. If I knew I would encounter this kind of service, why would I buy car from them ? They are located in Long Island and I live in Flushing. I could buy car from Bayside BMW.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... i parked my car in front of my friend's house in the center of the road. ...

Your car is pouting and throwing a tantrum because you left it in the middle of the street! :P

Your first mistake was buying a demo car w/ 6000 miles on it. BMWs are not Hondas/Toyotas. And w/ it being a 335i, you know it was "rode hard and put away wet" after test drives. At any rate, good luck w/ your resolution.
    Thank you fo your suggestion.
    that;s why i am going to trade in this car for a new lexus.
    And, I will let my friens know.......especially the one who recommended me to that location.
  • beest07beest07 Member Posts: 1
    Just had the same thing happening to me, wax smell, and yes it did fail at then end, was towed to the dealer and cylinder head 2nd cylinder plus injectors have been replaced. Guess what, came back home just today and the smell is still there. Scary, any advice, anybody, the car just has 3400 miles it never smelled but now it does not stop...
    The smell in mine was gone as soon as I got it back. The problem, as it was explained to me, was in the connection between the oil line and the engine, so it's possible that your shop corrected one problem but overlooked that one. I would take it back and ask them to put it on the hoist and inspect it for residual leaking.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/12/2011-bmw-z4-sdrive35is-coming-t- o-the-2010-detroit-auto-show.html#comments

I wonder if this drivetrain
    will be coming to the 335i -
    335is?
    - Ray
    Liking the sound of:
    "And on the overboost, torque rises to 369 lb-ft, according to BMW. "
    2022 X3 M40i
  • gilbertfordgilbertford Member Posts: 1
    my GF saw this car dealership in New York. .its Auto Gallery Imports.. the pre owned BMw 3 series was well condition car, me and my girl was given the chance to test drive. .Goood car.. .probably ill get it soon
    In answer to my own question,
    apparently so:

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2010/01/10/exclusive-2011-bmw-135i-gets-a-new-motor-33- - 5i-to-follow/

Exclusive: 2011 BMW 135i & 335i Get New Engines
    MotoringFile Sections: E81/82/E87 1 Series, E90 3 Series, EfficientDynamics Jan 10th, 2010 16 Comments

BMW N55 inline-six dual scroll turbo

For 2011 the 135i will undergo a motor transplant. It will be powered by the new N55 inline-six. This new 3L motor features a single twin scroll turbo unlike the previous (N54) motor which featured two turbos. The dual scroll is said to provide the same effect as two turbos. The official numbers say just that, at 300hp and 300 lb-ft. all the while giving better throttle response in-part to the inclusion of BMW’s famous Valvetronic system on this new 6 cylinder.

The 135i for 2011 will be offered in 6 speed manual or with a 7 speed Dual Clutch transmission (a true auto will not be offered) as we also reported.

The 3 series will also receive this same engine switch with an 8 speed transmission later this spring. The recently revealed high performance “iS” version of the 3er will feature a tuned version of the current twin turbo motor (N54) and a 7 speed DCT.
    2022 X3 M40i
    "BMW claims the 2011 BMW 335iS will reach 60 mph from a standstill in 5.1 seconds when the six-speed manual is in place, while the car shaves a further 0.1 second from the time to 5.0 seconds when the dual-clutch transmission is used."

"a unique overboost feature that allows the engine to achieve a 10-second burst of up to 369 pound-feet of torque." - Edmunds IL
    2022 X3 M40i
  • docuwizedocuwize Member Posts: 7
    My 2007 BMW 335xi burned to the ground in the parking lot and burned another brand new car Nov 09. Luckily my 16yr old daughter and wife was not in the car. BMW sent investigators..still no reply after three months. Car only had 40K miles and just left the dealership after reserve power light /engine light came on. State Farm is telling me that BMW is not cooperating. Total mystery why BMW is not actively trying to solve. More info on Twitter under BMW_fire. I have found other 335i's and even an M3 same problem of just combusing into flames parked.

Anyone else having a fire problems or a story?? Multiple new agencies want more info.

FLAMES...15 foot high with smoke a half a mile high..fire department, police department where on the scene in 5 minutes....damage is unbelievable. Luckily now one was severely injured. Video was on youtube but was pressured to remove...BMW is big and powerful.

Follow the breaking story on Twitter: BMW_Fire
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Video was on youtube but was pressured to remove...BMW is big and powerful

Isn't youtube owned by Google? I have a hard time thinking they would back down from BMW, unless there was the possibility of slander involed. Google could probably buy BMW outright if it wanted to.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,314
    Te aftermath of my BMW's fire:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• pdude1pdude1 Member Posts: 47
    Is that twitter account correct? Or were you forced to take that down too?
    Wow, godzilla attacked your car, RB? :P

But seriously, I would think that car companies would respond rapidly to reports of car fires and that insurance companies would pay right off, presuming there wasn't arson involved of course.
    But seriously, I would think that car companies would respond rapidly to reports of car fires and that insurance companies would pay right off, presuming there wasn't arson involved of course.

A friend of mine had his year-old Caddy ignite in his driveway one night. The insurance company tried to pass the buck to Cadillac and vice-versa. My friend was a fairly well known litigator and his threats to sue both parties finally got results.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I'm very surprised to here that. I would think the insurance company would pay off since making a warranty claim on a pile of burned rubble is rather impossible.
    I'm very surprised to here that. I would think the insurance company would pay off since making a warranty claim on a pile of burned rubble is rather impossible.

I was surprised as well. I guess some adjusters get bonuses for minimizing or eliminating paid-out claims...

And so the point of paying for fire insurance is ?????

If you have comprehensive, and the car catches fire, and you didn't set it on fire yourself, the insurance company owes you a car, near as I can tell.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Regardless warranty or not, since the vehicle had been completely lost, the insurance company should pay its customer first, and then go after the manufacturer if it believed that it had a case. Which insurance company did your friend have?
    that's right----subrogation is the term?
  • millwood0millwood0 Member Posts: 451
    that was a picture from an incident in nyc where the steam pipe bursted the very moment that truck was crossing the street. I think it took place after 911.
  • millwood0millwood0 Member Posts: 451
    "Then I said, I want to sell back the car because it is defective. He said, "we can't take it back." I was like, "what?! you can't take it back because you know it is defective, right?!" He remined silent. "

I am not sure you are entitled to put the car back to the dealer just because the car broke down. so it does sound like you are not reasonable.

I have had my fair share of issues with BMWs but all the BMW dealers I have encountered have been quite good, in an expensive way.
    Post inadvertently deleted and now restored:

#1305 of 1316
    My 2007 BMW 335xi Burst Into Flames Fire Story by docuwize
    Jan 23, 2010 (9:47 am)
    Save | Reply | Move | Delete

My 2007 BMW 335xi burned to the ground in the parking lot and burned another brand new car Nov 09. Luckily my 16yr old daughter and wife was not in the car. BMW sent investigators..still no reply after three months. Car only had 40K miles and just left the dealership after reserve power light /engine light came on. State Farm is telling me that BMW is not cooperating. Total mystery why BMW is not actively trying to solve. More info on Twitter under BMW_fire. I have found other 335i's and even an M3 same problem of just combusing into flames parked.

Anyone else having a fire problems or a story?? Multiple new agencies want more info.

FLAMES...15 foot high with smoke a half a mile high..fire department, police department where on the scene in 5 minutes....damage is unbelievable. Luckily now one was severely injured. Video was on youtube but was pressured to remove...BMW is big and powerful.

Follow the breaking story on Twitter: BMW_Fire
    Hi.. I made a mistake on my posting. My 335xi only had 20k miles before it caught on fire in the parking lot. The twitter account is correct. BMW_Fire.

It is very puzzling to me why BMW has not responded. This forum is about maintenance issues. I am just wondering if anyone else had the same issue? Of course BMW folks from BMW reported this factual post. I am just looking for clues into what happened?
    I agree. I have multiple cars including a M3 but finding it puzzling that BMW isn't providing details. My post was incorrect my car only had 20K miles not 40K. Anyway I am wondering if anyone is had a major issue like the BMW just catching on fire and burning to the ground without warning?
    That is a good point. The pressure in this case came from BMW. I am just looking to see if anyone has information to solve. I was wrong on my post. The BMW 335xi only had 20K miles not 40K. This is not a spam this is a post looking for info.

Thanks..
    Hi.. wanted to correct my post. The BMW 335xi that burst into flames with only 22K miles and under factory warranty. I was just looking for comments and info on if anyone is having the same issues. Was a nice car before it went up in flames. Good thing no one was inside.
  • idoc2idoc2 Member Posts: 78
    I'm wondering if anyone knows why BMW has redesigned their 3 liter turbo after only a few years with the new engine having a single instead of two turbo chargers?
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Well according to BMW the 3.0-litre power unit, is yet a further result of the BMW EfficientDynamics development strategy, offering a range of highlights in technology never seen before on any other engine – highlights created in the context of BMW EfficientDynamics and now ideally matched for optimum driving dynamics and economy all in one.

But the twin turbo engine has had issues, so is it because of it being more efficient or because of the problems with the twin turbo....
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I read in one of the other threads that the new 3.0L will have single turbo, but with two spools (turbine units).
    Sometimes twin turbos can put out a LOT of heat, so maybe.....?
    The twin turbo N54 will still be available in the 335 and Z4 is models.

My personal opinion is that twin turbos are best suited to fairly large displacement V- type engines.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    No doubt. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Not according to the NYTIMES. The twin turbo will be replaced with the single turbo.
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/18/bmw-3-series-latest-to-get-new-turbo-- engine/?scp=5&sq=bmw&st=cse
    To be more specific the NYTimes.com article is referring to the 335 coupe and convertible with no mention of the sedan or Z4.
    Not according to the NYTIMES.

Re-read my post; I was referring to the is models. That said, if you still don't believe me, perhaps this Car and Driver article will convince you.

• cbp1cbp1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2008 335i, with premium & sport packages. After being stopped for a brief time, sometimes it lunges or jumps forward. Doesn't happen all the time ... no pattern that I can figure. One service tech said something about an "incline feature" .... prevents the car from rolling back when stopped on an incline and that causes the lunging. Next service person said a torque converter caused it and "that's just the way it is". I don't buy that excuse. A friend has the exact same car and his does it only before his car is warmed up completely. As I said, mine is intermittent and happens regardless of the car's temp. Any suggestions as to what is causing this would be greatly appreciated. I feel I'm being given the run around by the service dept.
  • qaliqali Member Posts: 60
    I have 2007 335i with Comfort Access and I have experienced this as well. My experience is that this "rough start" is regardless of the engine temperature or incline as I am in Toronto and it is mostly flat here. I find it quite easy to replicate... As I coast to an intersection with a stop sign and come to a full stop, I find it almost impossible to step on the gas pedal softly to accelerate. Even a soft tap and press on the gas pedal makes the car lunge forward. However, if I step on the pedal a bit aggressively, the car just accelerates normally, smoothly, and faster than I prefer, however, I have just learnt to deal with it.
  • davem42davem42 Member Posts: 3
    2008 BMW 335xi caught fire in a parking lot today, one week after a factory rep looked it over because of a pending lawsuit filed against BMW. The fuel pump has been replaced at least 3 times. BMW has stonewalled from the git go. Anyone else having this problem?
  • davem42davem42 Member Posts: 3
    The car burst into flames today in the hospital parking lot after being driven to work. The hi-pressure fuel pump has burned out at least 3 times. After filing a lawsuit against BMW for not fixing or knowing how to fix the problem, the Company requested the car be brought in to the dealership where the "factory rep" went over the car from top to bottom in preperation to defend itself. The car was picked up with no explaination on what was found. One week later the car totally burned up in the parking lot after being driven to work. We were lucky, it could have been in the garage after being driven home. By the way, the master bedroom is above the garage, like I say, we were lucky, no one was killed. Has anyone had a similar problem?
    Hi.. can you share pictures or contact info? Two pictures below I put on photobucket.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz353/docuwize/335xi%20on%20Fire/bmwburned1.j- - - pg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz353/docuwize/335xi%20on%20Fire/bmwburned4.j- - - pg

I am being told mine is the only one that has burned or caught on fire. Anyone else... docuwize@gmail.com.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Actually they couldn't because most of the stock is owned by one family. So the family would have to sell...not likely.

Did a web search couldn't find any information about spontaneous BMW combustion.
  • ursamajorursamajor Member Posts: 127
    I have a 2008 335xi which also lunges when accelerating from a dead stopl. There is no lag when the car is in motion, for example from 50mph to 75mph. However, in Steptronic mode, there is no problem whatsoever. The service advisors and two mechanics who are definitely experienced insist that the automatic mode has a mechanism which adapts to the foot pressure of the driver over time. I find this almost laughable, but it's irrelevant, as BMW N. A. agreed to repurchase the vehicle due to repeated fuel pump problems.
  • cbp1cbp1 Member Posts: 11
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    It makes sense. The new 3.0: turbo will use the variable timing and lift technology off the NA engines. By eliminating the throttle, the variable lift system garners a 5-7% improvement in fuel economy, a pretty huge gain. It also seems likely the valvetronic will also reduce lag, as the intake manifold is always at atmospheric pressure even if the turbos are spun down, so the exhaust flow can be immediately increased.

So it seems like BMW could get 5+% better fuel economy and hopefully not increase lag. Perhaps they break even on $ by adding the valvetronic hardware and dropping a turbo.

From a marketing point of view, perhaps they want to reserve twin turbos for the m3 and v8's too.
This discussion has been closed.