Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• kamdogkamdog Member Posts: 28
    I also care about fuel efficiency, just because I dont like having bad fuel economy in my face. I charge all my gas anyway, but I always keep track of my mpgs. So, please answer the question, what kind of mileage are people getting?
  • david2008david2008 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone, quick question, probably a dumb one but kinda new to this thing,

what's the process of ordering a custom 335i? how long does it take, etc.? i'm not interested in the euro delivery option, but wanted to customize the car...

thanks!
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    The vishnu mod is most certianly non non-detectable. If you blow up the engine, and the mod is there, they *will* find it. The "chip" is easy to yank out, so if you have only that, you can noramlize your car before service/repair. But the turbo plumbing mods, and pellet in the vacuum tube? Not so easy!
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    The "chip" is easy to yank out, so if you have only that, you can noramlize your car before service/repair. But the turbo plumbing mods, and pellet in the vacuum tube? Not so easy!

That's my take on it. I do like the "plug & play" piggy back circuit... makes it relatively easy... but the rest is a different story.

With 91 octane (seasonal here in California), the Vishnu mod adds a maximum of only 20 hp to the 300 stock hp.

Still... for anyone wanting the nominal increase, the system is an obvious bargain, IMO.

TagMan
  • cosmascosmas Member Posts: 1
    Who is you dealer so that I can get the same price?
  • movistarmovistar Member Posts: 22
    While in college I did 150 in a stock 1994 RX-7 on I-10 coming from New Orleans you can hit 155 or more in this Bimmer.
  • glhglh Member Posts: 3
    Go to the dealer, select the options/color you want, pay a deposit and wait for your car!! Once ordered you can actually get a production date.

Originally my car was scheduled to be produced in May, it has now moved up to the last week of March. Then another several weeks for it to get here.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "While in college I did 150 in a stock 1994 RX-7 on I-10 coming from New Orleans you can hit 155 or more in this Bimmer."

First, glad you are still around to talk about it.

Second, the 2,800lb 255hp 1994 RX7 was one of the best handling sports cars of its day and would be more stable under high speed than an M coupe, let alone a 3 series sedan. So, while I still think it's somewhere between stupid and idiotic on the intelligence scale to drive a car 150 mph on public highways, at least you picked a pretty good one to do it in.

Third, I'm reminded of a college friend whose rich girlfriend's dad had a Ferrari. He was allowed to use it one day, so long as he was "careful". As he drove the car by himself a mere 135 mph at dawn on I79, a deer ran out onto the road. He almost missed it, but clipped a hind leg. Which went through the windshield and embedded itself halfway through the passenger seat. He didn't have much success convincing his never to be future father in law that he was only going 75 or 80. :cry:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I too have hit high speed on “public” roads (rural...not really public). But you have a point; watching out for grandma doing 45 in her Buick is one thing...animals are another. You don't even need a deer...a squirrel or skunk could put an end to your day just as quick at those speeds.
  • kalinekaline Member Posts: 3
    just picked up my 335i sedan, sparkling saphire/dakota black interior at murray imports, denver - outstaning! when i sold my 2002 M5 in 2005 and bought an audi a3auto, after moving to colorado from the east coast, i regretted that decision tremendously. the 335i sedan with 6 spd is truly reminiscent of my M5. my 4 teens applauded my move back to a car that has "soul" like the 335i. great tech solutions like bluetooth, sirius and gps clearly more advanced than my excellent (and raucus) but negatively affected by altitude, M5. those long commutes into denver will be a real pleasure now. highly recommend this outstanding car. important to install snow wheels/tires (blizzak) if you choose rwd over awd, like i did. my 335i twin turbo is clearly quicker than my almighty 400 hp m5 at 7000+ foot altitudes seen in foothills of rockies. a serious but literal altitude leveler ...

Question: what is your experience??
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Well, it has been about 2 weeks since I received my 2007 335i Sedan. It now has exactly 842 miles (4 miles when I took it off the dealer lot). I had to drive it back from so. cali so had to put on some miles rather quickly. No complaint there!

Impression so far is, wow this car is fast! Now I know what the e46 M3 probably have felt like. Having 300lb of torque is amazing. I haven't pass my break in, so no readline yet. But at 4600 to 5000 rpm (I know, the manual says 4600 during break in but I was a bad boy after 750 miles); wow, I can feel the rear tires losing contact with the pavement right before DTC kicks in. It's amazing, I been a bimmer owner since 2001 (a e46 sedan and will be for life if they keep adding horses to the engine and drives the way bimmer are) and I sure hope this engine makes it into the x5 line soon since my other x5 3.0i feels a bit under power.

In any case, I got the 6 speed steptronics (reason being wife) and with the new engine; I think a firmware update for the transmission is needed sometime in the near future. Once in awhile slowing down to 5 miles and then taking off (in D mode), the engine and transmission feels like it doesn't know what to do. So it jerks harshly; enough to nearly knock my morning coffee out from under me. It doesn't happen often enough to raise concern, but twice in 842 miles was noted.

Comfort access is a must for folks who's debating whether or not. Didn't know how I lived without it before. I also got premium package, auto visors and heated seat on this car. My infant son loves the auto visors and is a must if anyone have kids. So far I only have good things to say about this car. The gas mileage average was 28 since it was all freeway. Now having it a few weeks in the city, it averages 26 so far. I will do another review after my break in period. I also plan to take this car onto the track this spring/summer and see what it can really do. Stay tune and drive on bimmer lovers, drive on....
    I got .00175 and is bmw lease.
    Has anyone here get their leather bond and car manuals etc. to fit in the glove compartment? Mine won't fit. BMW shrunk the glove compartment but seems to forgotten to shrunk there leather bond and car manuals. I finally put them in the trunk on top of the bmw tool box compartment. I hope all the cornering I will do won't have them flying around back there. Anyone here have a good place beside the coffee table inside the house?
  • unclejesseunclejesse Member Posts: 1
    were are the performance sites for this 07 335i? like exhaust and chips etc...

UncleJesse
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    My manual is in the trunk as well...go figure. I haven't tried in the side door pocket yet.

Regards,
    OW
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Thanks for the info and congrats on your new 335. This car may be in my future too, so I am anxious to hear some 'real world' stories on what owners think. Did you get the Nav? If so, what do you think?
    I didn't get the Nav since I don't use it enough to really pay for it. But if I live in a bigger city; I would definitely get it.
  • rel1rel1 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning on getting my first BMW and prefer performance - so will most likely choose the 335i - manual.

However, I live in Chicago and would also like the awd which isn't an option on the 335i sedan - at least I don't think so.

So how does the BMW rear wheel drive handle in snow/ice?
    I have driven rear wheel most of my life and with bmw, I never have a problem. But I do not have performance tires on them; I only have H rated all season tires (premium package) which performs just fine. If you do get performance (sports package); you'll definitely need to get snow tires for them.

BMW and their DSC/DTC are great in controling the car.
  • kaiseronekaiserone Member Posts: 4
    A few months ago, an article in the "Automobiles" section of the New York Times stated that the turbo chargers in the 335i are sourced from Mitsubishi. I'm curious whether that's true. Does anybody have any insights into this question?

Thanks!
    yep. true.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    rel1,

I believe BMW is coming out with a 335Xi (AWD), and I think it's due some time this year.

Bruce
    Bruce,

How was your Xi in the snow, assuming you had the opportunity?

Regards,
    OW
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    OW,

My 330Xi is great in the snow, up to a point. Beyond a certain depth of accumulation on the road, then our X3 is better due to higher ground clearance. Until that point, I would rate them as even.

A couple of weeks ago we were in the X3 on an unplowed road, and the X3 was fine, but I'm pretty sure the 330Xi would not have made it.

In our area, we have as much trouble with sleet, freezing rain, and ice as we do snow. This is compounded by drivers who panic in winter conditions, and a density of traffic that precludes using normal snow driving experience to avoid problems; e.g., you get stopped on an uphill, and then have to start from a standstill on an incline, rather than maintaining momentum when approaching a hill.

I think the 330Xi is particualrly good in these conditions. I think AWD is particularly justified in these conditions.

Bruce
    Thanks for you insights, Bruce. I find the car rock solid and here in NY State on Feb14th the snow ruts were 5" deep with heavy ICE since it was around 9 Deg. F. and it was no problem getting through. Even on the all-seasons, the traction was superb.

Regards,
    OW
  • mk0974amk0974a Member Posts: 8
    Hi guys,

Been a long time reader of this forum, just picked up a 335 coupe, black sapphire with coral red interior, full optioned with a six speed manual. Love the car so far, only put on 100 miles today but feels ultra quick. Was a little confused though because my sales guy said there was no real break in requirements, but from reading this forum everyone says to take it easy the first 1200 miles? Thanks guys and happy motoring
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Read your manual on the break-in requirements, it is FAR more authoritative than some stupid sales associate. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    couldn't agree more with you shipo, although i can't imagine how I'm gonna suppress the urge to downshift into second gear on the freeway and let it rip for another 1200 miles... :confuse:
    Just hold back and think of it like you don't want the parts to fly across the road...you will have given the machine a solid preparation for the fun factor coming soon to a road near you!! Pretend you are behind the pace car for about 1,200 miles but do not stay at a constant RPM!

Great choice! Drive with all the best heath and safety!

Regards,
    OW

Regards,
    OW
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well maybe the salesperson meant that you don't have to baby it, which is true.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Was watching NGC on how Ferrari builds the 559. They take the car right from the factory to their own circuit and test the car, like they were racing it. Break in, what break in?

I wouldn't baby the 335, but I would follow owners manual recommendations.
    It's interesting..."break in" is a rather controversial subject, even among engineers, with many theories bandied about. The owner's manuals tend to be very very conservative (for obvious reasons, so that some new owner in his first reveries doesn't redline it out the showroom door) but really, it makes sense that a certain amount of load and stress (within reason) would be a good thing for getting a good wear pattern going. I do break-ins like the motorcycle guys recommend, and I've always been happy with the results....more than pleased.

Ferraris are, I believe, bench-run pretty much full out before they hit the streets....If the engines don't meet HP on the dyno, out them come for disassembly.
    I respectfully would not compare a Ferrari engine with a BMW engine. The designs are highly different and the procedures for the initialization process would, therefore, vary a great deal.

A NASCAR engine would need to be "broken-in" at 100% but is designed for low mileage lifespan with huge demands during that life cycle. Hopefully, Toyota gets with the program as they enter the race!! (BTW, why doesn't BMW try NASCAR?)

I suspect it's all about the warranty and as the tech gets more capable of detecting any "out of warranty" operations in a vehicle, it's going to get bumpy out there!

Regards,
    OW

Regards,
    OW
    Seems to me that if they want us puttering around in our 335s for the first 1,000 miles they should stop making those BMW commercials with brand new cars redlined and screaming like banshees out of hell through mountain passes...don't you think? All BMW is doing is encouraging our bad behavior! :P
    > (BTW, why doesn't BMW try NASCAR?)

I think that toyota makes a lot more products that the average nascar fan might buy, and even that move is seen as iffy... I mean, BMW is almost the antithesis of nascar. Handling, luxury, safety, and over-engineering?
    Yeah I couldn't agree with you guys more. Although its always amusing to hear what different sales people have to say about the break in period. I remember I had one Infiniti guy tell me that don't even think about breaking it in lol. But anyhow, i've been trying to think up of excuses to drive somewhere all morning and still haven't come up with anything yet... :mad:. It' interesting to hear you guys talk about varying the RPM, but how do you do that if you are constantly on the highway? Like on my way home yesterday (the dealership was about 70 miles away), I just got in the furthest right lane and put the car in sixth gear and took it easy. Otherwise around my area I try and keep the car at low RPM's as possible.
    Well, yes, you're right but Lexus drops a car and you have to beat gravity...seems like "not reality" as usual with the Ad companies.

I tend to like the effect from reactions that the kids have in the x-mas present commercial as more effective!

Regards,
    OW
    Well you can do full throttle acceleration runs but only to say 4,000 rpm....and then let the engine coast down from that 4,000 to 2,000 or so...I think a new engine would like that...so you can do this in say 2 or 3 gear....of course, the people behind you will think you're crazy but that might keep them off your tail :P Basically you want to stay out of the orange/red zone for 1K and you don't want to "lug" the engine mercilessly, if you have a manual transmission car.
  • car111car111 Member Posts: 24
    Hi
    I like drive of BMW 335 but is there anyway to make softer the gas/brake pedals and steering wheel ?
    Thanks.
  • david2008david2008 Member Posts: 4
    When will the 2008 models start coming out? Not the convertible, just the coupe; i'm debating buying one for july delivery or waiting to get the '08 depending on timing,

thanks,
    Short answer, no. Besides, why mess with perfection? If you want a softer car, I suggest you look at an Altima or some such.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sanfrannewbiesanfrannewbie Member Posts: 3
    Hello, all. Hoping to buy a 335 sedan this spring but wondering, do I really need Sports Package? Mainly use car for commuting -- no vigorous mountain driving. Test drove both 328 and 335 -- loved the acceleration of 335 w/o sports suspension just fine. Thanks!
    Short answer, if you liked the way the car felt without the SP, then you don't need it.

That said, I did the same thing for my first BMW. I drove a 1999 328i sans-SP, liked it, and ordered it. For the first 34 months of my 39 month lease, I loved the car and its handling. Then I swapped my car with another member here at Edmunds for a day and a half, and his car had the SP. I was instantly hooked. A month or two later I went out and ordered the 3ers replacement, a 2002 530i SP to be exact, and I couldn't wait for the least on the 328i to end. It was a good car, but the (relative) lack luster handling was just killing me once I knew what else could be had out there.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I think I ask this question awhile ago on another forum but didn't get a really good answer; so here it is again.

My 335i has 225 45 R17 all around and the door panel has cold psi as: front 32 rear 38. Can anyone tell me why it's so high for the rear tires recommendations? At tire shops, they normally put in 32 psi all around. I notice they do the same at BMW when I put it in for service. I normally run front 32 rear 35 so wasn't sure why they recommended so high for the rear and the dealer service dept dont' do the recommended.

My x5 all around are 235 65 R17 and it's recommended psi cold is : front 32 rear 39 and I run it the same: 32 and rear 35's.

Any opinion?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    The recommended tire pressures for my FWD Acura TL are 32 all around (same size, F&R). But my 911S carries recommendations of 34/42. I thought that was because the rears are larger/lower profile (295/30 vs. 235/35). However, I was told just today when I had it in for service that, under moderate to hard acceleration, the weight shift to the rear tires is significant. The TL is 60/40 front biased, so the rearward shift tends to equalize the weight balance. But the 911 is 38/62 rear biased and under hard acceleration, goes even further to the rear.

My guess - MBA not an engineer - is that in your 335i, with nearly 50/50 static weight balance, the higher rear tire pressure is to support the rearward weight shift under hard acceleration.

Any engineers care to set me straight?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I'm not even close to being an engineer...

But, I think you have it exactly... Also, under cornering loads, the rear tires seem to shoulder the lion's share of keeping the car on the road.. I think that is why the rear tires wear considerably faster than the fronts...

Our '03 325i and 05 330Cic were/are the same way..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    There are a few possible reasons that I can think of.

One is that higher tire pressure is used at the heavier end of the car - like Habitat's 911.

The other is that lower pressures are used on the tires that "work harder" so that when heated, all pressures equalize.

Tire pressure can also be increased to deliver better fuel economy by decreasing rolling resistance.

Tire pressure can be increased to "idiot-proof" the likelihood of underinflation, which can result in tire failure at speed.

Finally, tweaking tire pressure - front and rear - can change the handling dynamics of the vehicle. For example, increase rear pressure to minimize understeer.

Bottom line? I haven't a clue!
    I really hate to throw this in but on my 330xi, the tire pressure recommendation is the same. Assuming the 40/60 rear bias of the xdrive, this just adds more questions.

Perhaps actualsize or shipo have a clue?

Regards,
    OW
    Based on the fact that the 330xi has the same pressure all around, i *think* the best explanation is that it helps to minimize understeer.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I don't think he means the recommended pressure is the same all around... I think he means the opposite... That the rear is higher than the front, just the same as the other models...

Yes... I'm psychic.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.