Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    .. I think suspension tuning (reducing understeer) is part of it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Ah, yes, it could mean that too... :)

I'm still sticking with "reducing understeer".
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Yes, you are psychic...same as the 330 pressure. 32F/36R.

Regards,
    OW
    I knew you would say that.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• runonmd1runonmd1 Member Posts: 11
    Sorry, Habitat....my "bad." I stand corrected...oh, build me a house, ok? :sick:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    my 335i twin turbo is clearly quicker than my almighty 400 hp m5 at 7000+ foot altitudes seen in foothills of rockies. a serious but literal altitude leveler

BTW...if anybody cares 400hp (non turbo) is 316hp at 7000ft...think torque drops below 300
  • tangofoxtrottangofoxtrot Member Posts: 10
    I can't get a straight answer from my dealer. Think they just want to sell me a 328XI off their lot. I need more power.
    Yes. Due out this month. Not on the website yet, however.

Regards,
    OW
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Is anyone aware of any issues with orange peel on the 335i coupe.

"Orange peel can best be described as a wavy, slightly lumpy, light-and-dark pattern resembling - what else - the skin of an orange. The condition that causes the most noticeable orange peel - are caused by sheetmetal roughness and the use of a clear topcoat. "

My brother in law just walked away from 335i coupe deal.

Dealer advised that this is the way they are and did not offer a solution !

Regards,
    Webby
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    I can't imagine a new 335i coupe with an orange peel. Does anyone have a pic of this?
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    One of many posts \ threads on this ( googled ) -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-28798.html
    2022 X3 M40i
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Did you realize that thread is almost 4 years old?
    I did quick a google search limited to that 1 site only - and had something over 150 'hits', in various threads.

I picked one pretty much at random...

My point was only that BMW is not immune to having ( a varying degree of ) orange peel, and other issues in their paint.

Here is a much newer thread....
    ( sorrrrrrrry )

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2183194
    2022 X3 M40i
    Car is sitting in showroom....I do not think they would let me take any photos !
    I don't think any dealer is going to offer to fix any problems with the paint on a new car...

Would you want the car, if it has been re-painted?

If the dealer thinks it is a serious issue, they will send the car back to BMW... They wouldn't try to re-do it.. That is just asking for an ongoing customer service issue..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"Would you want the car, if it has been re-painted?"

Not a chance.....for $65,000.0 I want my paint perfect...just like my 2004 330i
    Webby
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Actually, that one is about swirl marks/soft paint.

I'm actually quite pleased with the paint on my BMW--but mine's a '97, and they've moved to softer water-based paints for environmental reasons.
    One other thread, different BMW forum - on some ( many ) 335's having "orange peel".

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41621&highlight=orange+peel
    2022 X3 M40i
    ".(the amount of noticeable "orange peel" on ALL body panels confirms this).."

From about the middle of the page...
    2022 X3 M40i
    Question: Could the dealer use the car as a demo and then sell it with mileage? Sort of a clearing house for defects rather than return the car. In that way, they could even re-paint because the car is not offered as "new".

Regards,
    OW
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Yeah, I have it on my 03 M5 as well, and remember some of the owners talking about this. If you look at any new car out there, you will see it. Some very high end cars may get wet sanding from the factory, but it is so prevalent that my body shop makes it a point to put the "orange peel" on any paint job they do.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    The Edmunds test of the new G37 coupe vs. the 335 turbo coupe ended with the turbo going toes up after a severe flogging by journalists. Turbos generate a lot of heat and at least in this case, repeated full throttle laps ran the oil and coolant temperatures over the limit and the engine went into "safe" mode. This is the first such instance that I have heard about, but it does make one wonder about the long term reliability and longevity of this engine. Anyone heard of any other "turbo reliability" problems with the 335?
    I thought the 'safe' mode was triggered so the vehicle wouldn't get damaged.

So I'd guess you wouldn't have reduced reliability...just reduced time at 100% power; which may be almost as bad :)

I think the turbos are manufactured by mitsubishi (but designed by BMW); think it was in a MT rag...
  • deanayerdeanayer Member Posts: 3
    now I have to wait until mid-june for it to get built and delivered to Connecticut. I loaded it with everything but the sport package, adaptive steering and adaptive cruise control. I piled everything else into it and it ballooned out to $50,900 plus or minus a few bucks. I am leasing it and got them to knock about 2 grand off so when I finish putting bown $7k out the door the payments will be about $520/month for 36 months and 12k miles/year. How does that deal sound? Of the three dealers I talked to in Connecticut it was the cheapest - in one case by almost $100/month. Anyway - now I get to twiddle my thumbs for weeks but oh baby am I psych'd to get it. I had a Corvette and it was awesome but a touch crude, then I bought a Buick Riviera in 1997 and it was too soft (everything was after the vet). I drove the Buick into the dirt because I dont drive high miles it held up farily well for 10 years - Buick should have kept that line going - morons. Anyway I am looking forward to getting something flingable again with some real kick but still have all the toys. I actaully cant get over how much technology and how many features are crammed into this little car. Now I have to go make "X" number 1 on my calender and stay calm for like ten weeks. Production is supposedly raming up in April in Germany for the Coupe so thats my hold-up but at least I get everything including the color and leather jsut the way I want.
    I just thought of this, I didnt see it listed so I assume it isnt included on the car or in the cold weather package but am I correct in assuming the 335i coupe DOESNT have heated outside mirrors. Its just a pet peeve of mine, I hate getting all the windows clear and then driving off in the cold only to find the mirrors are iced over. :)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    All BMWs have heated outside mirrors as standard equipment.

Ummm, what's with the $7,000 down payment? You'd be WAY-WAY better off putting down the maximum number of Security deposits and investing the rest of the money than putting down ANYTHING AT ALL. Fortunately you've got time to research the MSD thing, and once you do, I believe that you'll see how much money you'll be saving by NOT putting down a dime on your car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    What's the residual - maybe you'll buy the car at lease-end?

At the end of 3 years, it would kill me to know that I had paid BMWFS $25,000 and then just gave the car back.
  • jongainesjongaines Member Posts: 6
    I am scheduled to take delivery of a fully loaded 335 convertible in mid-april which I ordered for my wife. I put a $100 deposit down about a year ago hoping BMW would build a hardtop convertible. Now that the car is almost ready, I was wondering whether I have any negotiating power; the car is nearly $60K. I believe we are getting the first 335 convertible in the Raleigh, NC area and I suspect that they are not so easy to come by since they are just coming out. I am not expecting thousands off of MSRP, but a couple of bucks would be nice.
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Some of the numbers may be a little off. If the MSRP, with all options, is $51k, you shouldn't be paying out over $25k over three years before tax. The residual for 4-door sedan is 63% for 36/36, and the money factor works out to be about 3% per annum. Are you including taxes in the payment number that you gave?
    I am including the taxes associated with the leasing of the car (not property taxes). The 7k also includes delivery and the first payment and any other nonsense charges they toss in at the start of the lease.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    $60k for a 335i convertible? It looks to be a great car, but that is an absurd price, IMHO.

Unfortunately, being the first kid on the block with a new convertible in the spring is expensive. I fell in love with the new 911 Cabriolet when it first came out in the spring of 2005. But full MSRP was the minimum one could get it for. In September 2005, I negotiated a $10k+ discount on a new 2005 911S Cabriolet as the 2006's were starting production.

If your wife can be placated in the meantime, the European Delivery program is the way I would go on a "hot" new model. At $1,500 over ED invoice, you would get at least a $6-7,000+ discount, the dealer would not lose one of his prescious US delivery allocations, and the dealer would get credit for an additional sale come year end bonus time. Win-win for everybody. If, in fact, you are getting a 2007 model, you could probably time it to get a 2008 for the fall, which would give you better resale to boot.

So, it seems to me like your options are to either kiss instant gratification good-bye and plan a European trip with your $7k in savings, or just bite the bullet and pray for good spring/summer weather.
    How does the european delivery option work?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    How does the european delivery option work?

You take the money saved on the price of the car and blow it on a trip to Germany. What do you really save? :confuse: Unless, of course, you actually had a trip to Germany in the vacation plans.
    You take the money saved on the price of the car and blow it on a trip to Germany. What do you really save? Unless, of course, you actually had a trip to Germany in the vacation plans.

Well, if you need to blow $7,000+ on a trip to Germany, you probably shouldn't be giving any financial advice to anybody. :confuse:
    That said, somebody about to spend $60k on a 335i convertible that doesn't even know about the BMW ED program is probably as frugal as I might be with my miscellaneous expenses. One of my business associates managed a ED pick-up trip for a total cost of $1,100, after he decided NOT to use his frequent flier mileage.
    If you're only going to spend $1100 on a trip to Germany, you probably shouldn't give travel advice to anybody. :surprise: People spend more than that on a trip to Disney World. I can only imagine a trip to Germany that cheap wouldn't be worth taking.
    I think the point of the trip to Germany is to pick up your new car. So, as stated, you'd spend a minimum $1100 (or so).

But I'm with you...if I go through the effort of going to Germany...I'm gonna do it right.
    With a 335i Convertible ‘ED discounted’ by $3,435 ( MSRP to MSRP ) you start out at approx. $3.5L ‘ahead’.

Many BMW dealers will negotiate a better \ deeper discount off MSRP for an ED car – as it does not come out of their allotment. For the sake of discussion, I’ll postulate an additional $1K saving, though some investigation I have previously done suggests more is possible. So $4.5K total savings.

Orbitz provides a round trip airfare with 4 nights stay in Munich region for generally between $1K and $1.5K. Plus meals. Plus gas $$s.

My math is certainly rusty, but it looks like I could have a short trip to see some of Germany, not have to spend $$s for a rental car. And I’d be ahead at that point.

Now if I took my Daughter ( a plan I was working on last year ) and stayed longer, the price would clearly be higher – and would only make sense if a trip to Europe was worth some $$s – to you.

- Ray
    Still considering this scenario – for next year sometime . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Ray,

I think your $1k extra in savings (bringing total to $4.5k) is extremely conservative on a 335i convertible.

Back when I briefly considering a 330i convertible in early spring 2005, there were hardly any cars in stock and the dealers were barely discounting off MSRP. Allocations were very tight. I actually had a dealer that said he could only discount an incoming car $500, but he would sell an ED car for $1,000 over ED invoice, just to get the extra sale. On a loaded 335i convertable with a US MSRP of $60k, that has to equate to at least an extra $3,000+ of savings on top of the ED discount, bringing the total to more like $6.5k.

As far as trip costs, even I would probably want to turn the trip into a family vacation. But since we spend a fair amount on that anyway, the trip v.s other vacation would probably be a wash, netting me the full savings on the car.
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    Touche'. First posting in a while that's made me chuckle.
    Look, one can easily pick up a car in Europe over a long weekend and still have a bit of fun on the side. But if someone wants to turn the trip into a 7-10 days with the wife and kids touring the Bavarian Alps and/or western Europe, that's fine. But that's a family vacation that will still be made cheaper yet by not having to pay for a rental car.

And trust me, it will be money a hell of a lot better spent than the mindless losers that drop a couple of grand to take their kids to see Mickey and Minnie Mouse in La La Land. Did they ever hear of Yosemite, Grand Teton, or Arcadia - or are their kids (and parents) completely brainwashed by the boob tube Disney Channel? :confuse:
    Thanks for the link; sorry for the laziness-I obviously could have found the info myself with a little effort.

It seems a bit late for the ED program, but thanks for the pricing info; next time maybe.

I convinced the wife to wait two years for the hard-top, I guess I will have to pay the premium for instant gratification.
    The 335Xi is now available on Edmunds for anyone interested.

Regards,
    OW
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    I stopped by the BMW dealer yesterday to ask about availability of 335Xi and 535Xi models. The 335Xi is already showing up (new 5 series cars are expected to start arriving in 2 - 3 weeks).

I picked up brochures for the 3 series and the new 5 series. According to the data published in those, the 0 - 60 time for the 335i auto is 5.6 seconds, while 0 - 60 for the 335Xi auto is 5.4 seconds. I was surprised the AWD is faster to 60 than the RWD considering it weighs a little more (specific weight of 335Xi was listed as TBD).

As an aside, 0 - 60 for the 535i auto is 5.7 while for the 535Xi auto it's 5.6.

Bruce
    Why would you be surprised that the xi is quicker to 60 than the i? AWD gives it better traction off the line. No doubt by the end of the quarter mile (or any top end run), the i would be ahead of the xi.
    No doubt by the end of the quarter mile (or any top end run), the i would be ahead of the xi.

...by a bumper! The real difference would be in the twisties!

Regards,
    OW
    “As an aside, 0 - 60 for the 535i auto is 5.7 while for the 535Xi auto it's 5.6.”

Very interesting. The BMW Press release I saw quoted:

335i manual = 5.4
    automatic = 5.6

Was that 335xi number for manual or automatic?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Not yet seen a BMW 3 series with 335xi numbers…….
    2022 X3 M40i
    Ray,

All the numbers I listed were for the auto. I was looking at AWD versus RWD, not manual vs auto.

They had numbers for the manual, but I would have to pull out the brochures again to list them.

Thanks
    Bruce
    tayl0rd,

For the lowered powered cars, 328s and 528s, the opposite was true- the RWD cars had better acceleration than the AWD cars.

So I think you're on the right track with the extra traction of the AWD, but that may only be a factor if you are above a certain power level.

Thanks
    Bruce
This discussion has been closed.